Unorthodox Angel

Author's note: I wrote this for my grandpa, as he passed away in September of 2010.
Author's note: I wrote this for my grandpa, as he passed away in September of 2010.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

Chapter Three; Phoenix

I was so screwed. I was running ten minutes late, and that meant a good thrashing. Mom and Dad would probably have a belt ready. I pulled in, prayed that they might have an ounce of mercy, and slowly got out of the car. I quickly ran to the door, expecting to open it to a slap in the face.
I could hear screaming. Not the normal screaming, but ear-piercing, blood-curdling, no-words screaming. It was a female and male voice, so I knew they were at each other’s throats. I knew I should have just walked in, went to my room, and said nothing, but a voice said that I should be there in case one of them got stabby.
A part of me wanted to watch them kill each other, and other said that was too harsh. It was like the little angel and devil sitting on your shoulder. One said, do it! The other said, do not! I was torn between the two, wanting to do both.
Using all my courage, I opened the door and flinched as the screaming grew to the point of busting my eardrums. I came to the kitchen doorway, and peered in. What I saw was several broken dishes, spilled food, and two familiar faces choked in red and tears. They screamed so loud that I thought maybe the windows would shatter. I stood, thinking of intervening, but wanting to stay out.
My thoughts of intervening really went down when I saw Mom waving a death trap; a thirty-eight special. She had got it from when her and her drunk buddies would play Russian Roulette. Yes, I said Russian Roulette. The game where you try to shoot yourself in the head. I’m surprised she didn’t kill herself already. I knew she’d kill Dad, and, frankly, I needed someone.
I ran in front of Dad and yelled over the screams, “Put it down! NOW!”
She stared at me in a crooked manner. Like I had four heads. If she was drunk, she probably did see four heads. “Put it down!” I yelled again.
“NO!,” she snapped. “I’ll kill you both! You wretched souls of hell!” she screamed-and raised the gun.
“NO!!!” I screamed, and she fired. I felt a fire enter my chest, my knees falter, and collapse. I felt my head crack against the cold, hard, linoleum, and, for a moment, thought I saw a light, and everything went black.

This book has 48 comments. Post your own now!

ZoePaliski said...
I lost my dad so I understand how you feel about your grandpa. I loved the story, and the last part about your grandpa was so sweet. Keep writing!

RoseLuvsTulips said...
I read the end of the chapter and I was AWW! Then I read the part to your grandpa and I almost cried. Great story though!

Love_Jesus18 said...
Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:05 am
love the story i am glad that it was like twilight and it was very beautiful but i am so sorry about your grandpa....

poemluv said...
Sept. 17, 2012 at 11:49 am
I love it! It's amazing and touching(:

nemish23 said...

It's a little bit like twilight but apart from that it's a great story! I love the characters, especially their names, they are beautiful.

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I lost a relative too and then wrote a story based on it too. 'From My Heart' if you wanna check it out.

It's funny how writing sometimes helps us grieve right?

But keep writing, you have an awesome talent :)

Winged.Living.Free.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Beautiful! And I'm happy for your Grandpa. :)(:

Roselove445This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was so good please keep writing i would love to read more!!! :)

BluBirdWriter13 said...
i cried during half of it its so beautifuel

BelleRoy said...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 5:39 am
This is amazing. You are a terrific writer, and I bet your grandpa is so proud of you and is looking out for you everyday. Thank you for writing this.

Jeera said...
This story is really good and it's pure. :) I like it a lot and your comment at the end is really sweet. I'm sure your grandpa loves it :)

JustCallMeSarah said...
Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:54 am
It wont let me add this as a favorite! DX Beautifuly written, loved it =)

no1texastiger said...
Aww! I loved this story! Fantastic job!

SilverLuna said...
Pretty dang good!(:

laurenangela replied...
thank you!

LilLover5-15 said...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 10:41 am
LOVE IT!Absolutley love it

. replied...
thank you!

. replied...
Thank you!

AnyaLafayaa said...
This story is so amazing! There's not one spelling error, it's sweet, and has a spectacular plot. I'm completely impressed. Honestly, this story deserves to be number one, it's so heart warming and written well. I'm positive your grandfather is proud of you. Nice work!

laurenangela replied...
thank you so much!

Bookworm1998 said...
beautiful story! i love both of your main characters and i love how cautious and well-minded Phoenix is. i just wish that the story could last longer :)