Unorthodox Angel

Author's note: I wrote this for my grandpa, as he passed away in September of 2010.
Author's note: I wrote this for my grandpa, as he passed away in September of 2010.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

Chapter Two; Jakobie

I patrolled the hallways of the ICU at Union Hospital. My normal routine. I stopped in the nursery in the ICU to check on Kaytlyn, a four month premature baby. She was hanging on for dear life, not willing to give in. I recently heard the nurses saying that she took a turn for the worse, so I thought a visit would be in order. Walking through the corridors to the nursery, I thought about that girl. How she would enjoy many more years with her grandfather. It made me giddy inside.
I found Kaytlyn in her usual spot; in the incubator, belly down, tubes crisscrossing her naked body. I peeked in, and saw her precious face, spoiled by a tube in her throat. She had her pink little hat on, keeping her fuzzy head warm. I looked around and saw her mother wasn’t there. She usually was. The clock said four thirty PM, so she probably wasn’t off work yet.
I carefully opened the door on the incubator, slipped my hand inside, and gingerly touched the infant’s tiny head. “Hang in there,” I whispered. I heard a door open, so I shut the door quickly. I turned and saw the nurses and Kaytlyn’s mother come in. I simply walked by them, knowing they knew nothing of my presence.
I soon became the unknown protector roaming the halls. As I walked, I looked in each room, seeing if I was needed. It broke my heart to see kids in beds with dozens of monitors and wires and tubes burying them. I saw happy families, sad ones, and occasionally, mad ones. Every time someone yelled that a bed was coming through, I checked to see if I should follow. Most times I didn’t, and only went with the most severe. I seemed to get attached to people so much that I wanted to be the one to walk them to the Other Side, despite the fact that it would be the first time they had seen me for some people. I always get the ‘that’s-not-the-angel-that-I-was-expecting’ thing. Well, diversity colors the world. Everyone’s different. Why should that only apply to mortals?
That’s no fun.

ZoePaliski said...
I lost my dad so I understand how you feel about your grandpa. I loved the story, and the last part about your grandpa was so sweet. Keep writing!

RoseLuvsTulips said...
I read the end of the chapter and I was AWW! Then I read the part to your grandpa and I almost cried. Great story though!

Love_Jesus18 said...
Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:05 am:
love the story i am glad that it was like twilight and it was very beautiful but i am so sorry about your grandpa....

poemluv said...
Sept. 17, 2012 at 11:49 am:
I love it! It's amazing and touching(:

nemish23 said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm:

It's a little bit like twilight but apart from that it's a great story! I love the characters, especially their names, they are beautiful.

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I lost a relative too and then wrote a story based on it too. 'From My Heart' if you wanna check it out.

It's funny how writing sometimes helps us grieve right?

But keep writing, you have an awesome talent :)

Winged.Living.Free.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm:
Beautiful! And I'm happy for your Grandpa. :)(:

Roselove445This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm:
That was so good please keep writing i would love to read more!!! :)

BluBirdWriter13 said...
i cried during half of it its so beautifuel

BelleRoy said...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 5:39 am:
This is amazing. You are a terrific writer, and I bet your grandpa is so proud of you and is looking out for you everyday. Thank you for writing this.

Jeera said...
This story is really good and it's pure. :) I like it a lot and your comment at the end is really sweet. I'm sure your grandpa loves it :)

JustCallMeSarah said...
Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:54 am:
It wont let me add this as a favorite! DX Beautifuly written, loved it =)

no1texastiger said...
Aww! I loved this story! Fantastic job!

SilverLuna said...
Pretty dang good!(:

laurenangela replied...
Sept. 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm :
thank you!

LilLover5-15 said...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 10:41 am:
LOVE IT!Absolutley love it

. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm :
thank you!

. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm :
Thank you!

AnyaLafayaa said...
This story is so amazing! There's not one spelling error, it's sweet, and has a spectacular plot. I'm completely impressed. Honestly, this story deserves to be number one, it's so heart warming and written well. I'm positive your grandfather is proud of you. Nice work!

laurenangela replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm :
thank you so much!

Bookworm1998 said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm:
beautiful story! i love both of your main characters and i love how cautious and well-minded Phoenix is. i just wish that the story could last longer :)