New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Unorthodox Angel

Author's note: I wrote this for my grandpa, as he passed away in September of 2010.
Author's note: I wrote this for my grandpa, as he passed away in September of 2010.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

Chapter One; Jakobie

I calmly stood in the corner of the room, waiting for the family to sit down and leave the dying man at peace. I had seen it so many times. The family was reduced to tears and I would step in and perform a miracle. They would be so happy that their loved one was awake, or progressing, or getting better, a pleasure that I continue to smile about.
This man, Jim, was close to the end. He just came out of surgery for a ruptured aneurism in his belly. Most cases like these didn’t live, even with my help. I noticed a teenage girl in the opposite corner. She didn’t cry loudly like the others. She simply buried her hands in her arms and cried to the point of sickness. Every now and then, she’d utter the same words; “I love you, Grandpa. Don‘t leave me.” It made me upset, seeing her suffer. I knew this would have to be a miracle.
I moved in between two women, holding each other and crying. Gingerly, I touched Jim’s face. “Your family needs you, Jim. Especially your granddaughter,” I whispered. As I walked to the door, I looked at the crying girl. I bent down to her level, placed my hand on her shoulder, and whispered, “Grandpa’s going to be okay.” I gently kissed her forehead, and walked out the door. I turned to look into the glass door, and I watched as Jim moved slightly in his bed, and the women caught it.
“Daddy? Daddy, are you awake? Can you hear me?” one woman said. Jim made a mumbling sound, and the monitor started to beep. She ran out the door and shouted down the hall, “NURSE!! He’s awake!” At that sign, two nurses jumped up and ran to the room. I watched as they quickly removed the tube in his throat, and reset monitors. One nurse paged the doctor. I saw him come down the hall, a complex look on his face. He was wondering how his patient could be awake.
My eyes went to the girl next. She was watching now. Wondering if her grandfather was dying, or getting better. For a few moments, the tears stopped. Soon, Jim looked up at the nurses and the doctor. I read their minds. How is this possible?! they thought. He can’t be awake!
The girl jumped from her chair and ran to her grandfather. “You’re alive!” she said. Jim put his hand on her shoulder.
“You need me,” he whispered.

ZoePaliski said...
I lost my dad so I understand how you feel about your grandpa. I loved the story, and the last part about your grandpa was so sweet. Keep writing!

RoseLuvsTulips said...
I read the end of the chapter and I was AWW! Then I read the part to your grandpa and I almost cried. Great story though!

Love_Jesus18 said...
Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:05 am:
love the story i am glad that it was like twilight and it was very beautiful but i am so sorry about your grandpa....

poemluv said...
Sept. 17, 2012 at 11:49 am:
I love it! It's amazing and touching(:

nemish23 said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm:

It's a little bit like twilight but apart from that it's a great story! I love the characters, especially their names, they are beautiful.

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I lost a relative too and then wrote a story based on it too. 'From My Heart' if you wanna check it out.

It's funny how writing sometimes helps us grieve right?

But keep writing, you have an awesome talent :)

Winged.Living.Free.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm:
Beautiful! And I'm happy for your Grandpa. :)(:

Roselove445 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm:
That was so good please keep writing i would love to read more!!! :)

BluBirdWriter13 said...
i cried during half of it its so beautifuel

BelleRoy said...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 5:39 am:
This is amazing. You are a terrific writer, and I bet your grandpa is so proud of you and is looking out for you everyday. Thank you for writing this.

Jeera said...
This story is really good and it's pure. :) I like it a lot and your comment at the end is really sweet. I'm sure your grandpa loves it :)

JustCallMeSarah said...
Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:54 am:
It wont let me add this as a favorite! DX Beautifuly written, loved it =)

no1texastiger said...
Aww! I loved this story! Fantastic job!

SilverLuna said...
Pretty dang good!(:

laurenangela replied...
Sept. 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm :
thank you!

LilLover5-15 said...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 10:41 am:
LOVE IT!Absolutley love it

. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm :
thank you!

. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm :
Thank you!

AnyaLafayaa said...
This story is so amazing! There's not one spelling error, it's sweet, and has a spectacular plot. I'm completely impressed. Honestly, this story deserves to be number one, it's so heart warming and written well. I'm positive your grandfather is proud of you. Nice work!

laurenangela replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm :
thank you so much!

Bookworm1998 said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm:
beautiful story! i love both of your main characters and i love how cautious and well-minded Phoenix is. i just wish that the story could last longer :)