Shush . . .

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Chapter 1

TODAY is the first day of my senior year in Walker High School. I felt powerful. Invincible. I was top dog now. There was nobody here that was older than me except the teachers. I was in control. I drove up into the first parking spot I saw. I checked my hair and make-up in the mirror, and ran my fingers through my hair to give it more volume.
“Sarah! Let’s go!” My friend Rachel was tapping on my window, waiting for me to get out of my car. I slowly opened my door as I grabbed my backpack from the passenger seat. I stepped out, my flip flops making noise against the pavement. When I closed my door and faced Rachel, she gave me a once over. “Cute. I love your shirt.”
I was wearing a tank top with black rope like straps and the rest was all different colors. It sounds like it would be ugly, but it was really cute. We walked through the crowd outside of the school, and walked inside. Rachel and I had first period together, upstairs. We both had Science first. As we were walking to our first period, some of our other friends met up with us. Sierra walked by my side, and Mia walked by Rachel’s.
“So, girls. We rule the school now.” The guys stared at us as the four of us walked by. I was considered popular, but I wasn’t the type of girl that thought I was all that and more. I was
just that girl that had the looks and was a good leader, I guess. I would have been just as happy being just another senior. But I was the senior. “What’s your first period, Mia? Sierra?” I looked to each sides as I asked them.
“Math,” Sierra said with a disgusted look on her face. I personally never minded math. I always thought that it was fun, actually. “English,” said Mia with a smug look on her face. Mia was an amazing poet, and she loved English because they studied poetry.
“Rachel and I have Science first with Mr. Semp.” I had heard that he was a nice teacher, but his class was hard sometimes. I was really good with science, and wanted to have a career that deals with it.
We parted ways, and headed off to class. Rachel and I headed off to science. The teacher glared at us when we carried our phones into class. But he couldn’t say anything about it because we didn’t have our lockers yet.
On the chalkboard it said, “Pick a seat and sit in it.” Rachel and I decided to sit in the last row together. When everyone was in class, Mr. Semp came in and shut the door behind him. He looked as excited to be here as I was.
“Good morning. Hey! Quiet Down!” Now he was shouting, trying to get everyones attention. “This is science class. My name is Mr. Semp. And your names are something that will take me a while to learn. So for now, you’re just another kid in my class. Deal with it. If you guys read the board, you know that you can pick your own seats.”
The kids that were still standing suddenly realized what he said. They each picked a seat and sat in it. “You probably won’t be in these seats for that long, because teenagers like sitting by people they are familiar with. Friends. Which means you’ll talk. I don’t tolerate talking in my class unless you’re working in groups or are answering a question. Got it?” Everyone said yes and nodded their heads.
After he finished his long lecture, Mr. Semp told us where our lockers were. We each went to find our lockers once he told us which was ours. Mine was down the hall from Rachel’s, so we wouldn’t see each other much. The locker to the left of mine didn’t belong to anyone, but the locker on my right belonged to one of my friends from last year.
I emptied out all of my notebooks and folders from my backpack and put them at the bottom of my locker. I turned off my cellphone and put it on the top shelf of my locker. I hung my backpack on one of the hooks, then closed my locker and put my lock on it.
I went back to class, and saw that Rachel was already in her seat. “I can’t believe we’re seniors! It seems like it’s all a dream, but it’s real! We rule the school!” She was gripping my shoulders and shaking me back and forth as she spoke.
“If you don’t want to be puked on, you’ll stop shaking me.” She took her hands off of my shoulders, allowing me to stand still once again. My stomach was already doing flips because I was so nervous for the first day of my last year at high school.
“Okay, gross. But aren’t you excited!?” Rachel was practically jumping in her seat. She looked like she would burst any second. Just then the teacher walked in, saving me from having to answer. The truth is, I’m actually scared for this year. I had a bad feeling about this year.
Mr. Semp went on to tell us about his class rules and expectations. At the end of class he gave us two sheets. One with his rules on it, the other a signature page for our parents saying that they understood his rules. I would probably get one of these in every class today, but I’m not going to be the one signing it all.
After first period, Rachel and I parted ways to go to our next classes. Next I had Health/ Gym. Today I would be going to health, and tomorrow I had gym. I have gym on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s. I headed downstairs, and looked for my health room. When I got there, my health/ gym teacher, Ms. Smith, was waiting by her door.
When I got close to her, she looked up. “Name?” she asked me. She looked down at her clipboard, waiting for me to answer.
“Sarah Blake,” I said. She scanned her clipboard, looking for my name. She pointed to a seat in the very back, next to the window. She did this with every student that arrived. Nobody ever came to sit next to me, so I was all alone. Ms. Smith gave the usual introduction, telling us about her rules and how she will not tolerate bad behavior.
All of my classes proceeded like this. There were only two classes that I have that I sit by nobody. These two are Health, and Study Hall. I don’t usually like being alone, but I didn’t mind it in Study Hall. This way I could get my work done.
When the day ended, my friends met up with me at my locker. We all walked out to our cars together, the guys staring at us once more. I climbed in my car, and threw all of my papers in the passengers seat. I had a creepy feeling that someone was watching me, so I quickly put my key in the ignition.
Right before I could drive away, there was a knock on my window. Scott was standing on the other side of the glass, a huge smile spreading across his face. I rolled down my window, hoping this would be a short conversation. “Hey, beautiful! I missed you this summer!” Scott and I had broken up right before the summer began because I had caught him doing drugs when he had promised me he stopped. That was only one of the reasons, though.
“What do you want, Scott?” I put my sunglasses on, and looked up at him. He acted like he was hurt with the attitude I was giving him, but I knew it was just an act. I had dated him for a year and a half, and knew just about everything about him.
“I want you, babe!”
“Go home, Scott.” He put his hand over his heart, and put on a pained expression.
“That hurts! Now would you quit the attitude?”
“Scott! We’re over! Don’t you get that? Go away!” I rolled my window up, and drove away. He ran after me, but stopped when I sped up. I was done with him, but I guess he wasn’t done with me.
When I got home, I broke down in tears. Seeing Scott had scared me. I pulled myself together, and checked in the mirror to see if I looked good enough to go inside the house. My eyes weren’t swollen, but they were a little red. My make-up had never run, so I didn’t have to worry about that. The red in my eyes wasn’t very obvious, so I was presentable.
I stepped out of my car, once again getting the creepy feeling that I was being watched. I locked my car, and ran inside. “Hi, honey! How was your day at school?” Mom was standing at the stove, cooking something for dinner.
“I’m glad it’s over. I just want to relax for a little bit. How was your day?” She launched into her big story about long lines at the grocery store, and how much she hated it. I excused myself so that I could go watch some TV after I handed her the papers she had to sign. I went out to the Living Room, and flipped through the channels until I found the news.
I fell asleep during a story about a baby tiger at the zoo. In the dream I had, I was standing in an open field. I was all alone, except for the insects around me. There was a sudden gust of wind, and with it was softly spoken words.
You’re true love is coming, it said. The voice was low, and it sounded very excited. Sarah . . . Sarah . . . This voice was a women’s voice, and it sounded a lot like my mom’s. “Sarah!” Mom was yelling for me in the kitchen, and I woke up to her yelling for me. I groggily walked to the kitchen. “I signed all of these papers for you, Sarah.” I took the papers, thanked her, and went upstairs to put them in my room. When I looked out the window in my room, I thought I saw someone standing in my yard. But when I rubbed my eyes and looked again, there was nothing there.
I ran down the steps, taking them two at a time. When I saw my mom, I was instantly relieved. There was an instinct in me telling me to keep company for a while. I watched Mom cook dinner, and watched the clock. When it was 4 o’clock, I grabbed my car keys to go pick up my little sister from school. “I’ll be back in a second, Mom.” I walked out the door, and practically ran to my car.
As soon as I was in my car, I locked the doors. The drive to the elementary school was fifteen minutes from my house. I drove quickly, anxious to be around another person, even if that person was my little sister. When I got to the school, I saw my sister talking to some of her friends. When she saw me pull up, she waved goodbye to her friends and ran up to my car. She opened the door and climbed into the passenger seat. She threw her bag into the backseat, and put her seatbelt on.
“Hey, Jess! How was your day at school?” All I wanted to do right now was get away from the creepy feeling that I was being followed. Jess told me about this guy in her class that she has had a crush on for a while and now she sits next to him all day. I asked her about what her teacher was like.
“I’m not really sure,” she said. “I was too busy talking to Ethan.” She giggled when she said his name, reminding me of when I had once been in love with Scott. I gave her a lecture about how school comes before boys, and she completely ignored me.
After she turned her head to look out the side window, making it obvious that she was ignoring me, I turned up the music. I rolled down the windows, and the breeze coming in felt nice on this hot day. Jess pulled a pony tail off of her wrist and wrapped it around her hair so that it wouldn’t fly in her face anymore.
The ride seemed to take five minutes instead of fifteen, and before I knew it, we were home. Jess grabbed her things out of the back seat, and slammed her door as she got out. She ran inside, hoping to avoid another lecture from me. Knowing her, she would lie to Mom about what she did today. I would let her, because she needs to learn from her own mistakes.
When I made my way inside, she was talking to Mom in the kitchen. She had thrown her bag on the floor in the doorway to the kitchen, and I tripped over it. “Walk much?” She laughed at me, then started to talk to Mom again. So I try to give her advice and she hates me. That’s the last time I try to help her!
I started to head for my room, but my mom stopped me. “Honey, where are you going?” I made my way back to the kitchen to talk to her.
“I was going to go listen to some music on my laptop.”
“I was just about to dish up dinner.”
“Okay. Do you need any help?”
“Yeah, that would be really nice. Thanks!” I helped get out the plates and dish up whatever she was cooking. When everything was dished up, the three of us sat down at the dinner table. Jess was still going on about her day, and telling Mom how great her new teacher was. What a little liar. Jess was only in the fifth grade, so Mom thought she was a little angel.
I sat through dinner without saying much. After Mom asked me about Scott and I told her we broke up before summer, she didn’t talk to me much. When I finished my dinner, (I still wasn’t sure what it was) I put my plate in the dishwasher and went to my room.
I turned on my laptop, and went to my e-mail. I had a new e-mail from Mia, and all of the other ones were old ones that I hadn’t gotten around to erasing. They were mostly from Scott telling me that he wanted to get back together. I clicked on the new one, and read it.

Hey, Sarah! I have so much to talk to you about! I didn’t get to talk to you before you left. Did I see Scott talking to you? How did that go? Is he still trying to get back with you? Call me so we can talk! Love ya!
-Mia

I called Mia after I deleted all of my e-mails. I put on some music for background noise. Mia picked up on the third ring.
“Hello?” she answered.
“Hey, girlie! What’s all this stuff that you wanted to talk to me about?”
“Hey! Well first, did I see Scott by your car?”
“Yeah. He’s still trying to get back with me. It seems he can’t get it through his thick skull that we’re over for good this time.” Scott and I had broken up a lot, but then got back together after a few minutes. This time it was for real, though.
“Guys don’t seem to be able to function unless they have a pretty girl on their arm. But what are you gonna do, you know?”
“Exactly.”
“But anyways, my teachers are terrible this year! It’s hard to believe that it could get worse next year in college! By the way, where are you going?”
“I’m not really sure. I’ve applied for Kent State and LSU. My mom took me on tours all summer, but those were the only two that I actually liked. I haven’t heard back from either of them yet, so I don’t know. What are your plans?” Mia and I had been friends ever since she moved to Walker, Louisiana, in first grade. Thinking of life without one of my best friends seemed scary.
“I applied for Harvard and LSU.” Mia is a straight A student, and the smartest person I know. She would probably get accepted to both colleges. She mostly focused on her poetry, so she wasn’t in any sports.
“It would be so cool if we both got into LSU!” I said. “I’ve wanted to go to LSU since I was a little girl! It’s always been my goal to get in there.”
“Yeah. You’ve been just a little obsessed.” She laughed, and then I heard her Dad call for her in the background. “Hey I’ve gotta go! I’ll see you tomorrow! Bye!”
“Bye, Mia!” I hung up the phone, and put it on the charger. My phone is my alarm clock ever since I accidentally stepped on my other one. I turned down the sound on my laptop, and turned on my sound on my phone. I sat there listening to my music, and I was slowly lulled to sleep.

This book has 68 comments. Post your own now!

FallenAngel1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I agree with everyone else, you are a very talented writer and you should do this for a living. There are only a handful of people that have the talent to create such wonderous things like this, you are definetly one of them!!!

Sincerly Your Friend,

FallenAngel1

FallenAngel1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 7, 2011 at 12:42 am
Who doesn't feel like that?? Everyone does, it's normal. I want to be an author too, you have to keep on trying. I am just as scared of failing as you are. But you keep at it.

its_just_me replied...
Thanks you :)

You should really have your book published!!! I would buy it!! I believe that it would be very successful if you did. Please write more, no pressure though because it takes a long time to write and then proof fread a book, very tedious. But keep up the wonderful work.

sincerly Your friend,

FallenAngel1

its_just_me replied...
Thank you! It feels amazing to see a positive comment like this :)

translucent.me said...
Aug. 16, 2011 at 1:18 am
This is so amazing! Usually I'm more of a "love triangle" girl, but the romance is so sweet and real that I can't help but adore it. And I don't mind that she fell for him so quickly. I would have, too ;) Though I'm something of a romantic, I guess... Anyway, this is amazing! How long are you planning on making it? 

. replied...
Thank you! I plan on making this into a series, but I don't know how long this individual book will be.

LilLover5-15 said...
whats going to happen to them?Does he have to go back? Plz finish it so i'll know!

its_just_me replied...
My goal of having it finished by the end of summer isn't going to happen... Chapter 8 is almost done, though, so it'll be up soon :)

LilLover5-15 replied...
Yay thanks for replying!

its_just_me replied...
Haha no problem :)

eMiLyP said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:13 am
I love stories about gaurdian angels! You're a great writer! Loved it!

Kelcey L. replied...
So do I! Thanks for the positive comment :)

Please write more or i will burst with anxiety. This is so heartfelt and so wonderful, please write more. But don't rush because creating something so wonderful takes time.

its_just_me replied...
Chapter 8 is coming soon :) Thanks for the great comment!

I can't wait to read it!!! I will also write more on my sequel. Can't wait to read the rest of your book!!!

Bookworm1998 said...
too great for words!!! i'm so curious as to what will happen next! <3 your writing!

its_just_me replied...
Thank you!

Bookworm1998 said...
(that was just abot the prologue by the way, i had a need to comment on it ASAP)

Bookworm1998 said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 11:46 am
great start! i can't wait to read the rest! i just love prologues in books and this is the exact reason why!

its_just_me replied...
thanks so much!(: