Shush . . .

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Chapter 5

WHEN it was time for lunch, I hesitantly walked into the cafeteria. I didn’t want to have to see Dean right now, and I knew that I would see him during lunch. I hadn’t seen him since he kissed me in the bathroom, and the crowded cafeteria didn’t seem to be a good place to talk to him.
“Sarah, come on!” Rachel whined. “Look, there’s Dean waiting right there for you.” Yeah, because that’s going to make me want to go into the cafeteria. Rachel and Sierra walked back towards me, and they each grabbed my elbows. They dragged me into the cafeteria and, unfortunately, towards Dean.
His eyes looked haunted, and darker than usual. How that was possible, I don’t know. His eyes are black, so they couldn’t get any darker. Maybe his haunted expression was getting to me. With one last shove, Rachel and Sierra launched right into Dean. I threw up my hands for protection, and they ended up on his chest. I could feel his muscles through his black T-shirt, and I liked how it felt. I backed away a few steps, but I was close enough that when he leaned down to whisper to me, he was right in my ear. “Leave with me,” he whispered.
“What? What do you mean ‘leave with me’?” I whispered back to him.
“I mean exactly what I said. We need to talk, Sarah. Whether you want to admit it or not. I just happen to know the perfect place if you’ll come with me.” I saw him hold out his hand for me, but I hesitated. I knew we needed to talk, but we were in the middle of school. I dismissed the thought. I wouldn’t be missing anything. I put my hand in his, and it disappeared when he wrapped his hand around mine.
He led me to the parking lot, and right towards his motorcycle. “Do you honestly expect me to ride on this?” My southern accent was always heavy when I had an attitude. I put my hands on my hips, and just stared at him. He threw the red helmet that I had seen this morning at me. I caught it, but just stared at it.
“That goes over your head,” he said as he climbed onto his motorcycle and put on his own helmet. It was almost as black as his eyes, and there were flames running along the sides of it.
“I know that,” I said. I shoved the helmet over my head, hoping that my hair would look okay when I took it off. I climbed onto the motorcycle behind him, but kept some space between us.
“You might want to put your arms around my waist,” he said. He sounded cocky, so I smacked his back. “Ow, that really hurt!” He teased. I put my hands on his waist, but not enough for him to feel them. He started the motor, and the bike roared to life. “Are you hungry?” He yelled over the roaring engine.
“Not really,” I shouted back. He pulled the motorcycle out of the parking space, and sped off of school grounds. My arms tightened around him as he drove down the highway, weaving between cars and pick-up trucks. I squeezed my thighs around his legs, and buried my face into his shoulder. It had been a while since the last time I was on a motorcycle. “Are we skipping the rest of the school day?”
“Do you want to?”
Yes. “No,” I said. If I stayed with him for the rest of the day, rumors would fly. There were probably already rumors, since people saw us leave together. I’m curious, what kind of rumors could they come up with?
“Okay, then I’ll have you back before lunch is over.” I was sad to hear this, because I wouldn’t be able to see him again until we were in study hall in sixth period. Right now, that seemed like it was years away.
“Where are you taking me, Dean?” I put my chin on his shoulder, and felt the wind blow into my face. I saw him smile in the corner of my eye.
“You say my name a lot,” he teased. I could feel the blush rising on my cheeks, and I hid my face in his back so he couldn’t see. He looked back at me as he shouted over the engine and shouted again. “I’m just teasing you. Don’t hide your face from me,” he said softly. We had stopped at a red light, and he lifted my head up.
“Where are you taking me?” I was careful not to say his name this time, afraid that the blush would rise again.
“It’s a surprise. But I think you’ll like it,” he said. The light then turned green, and I was so relieved because I had began to blush again. He turned onto a dirt road, and rocks flew close to my face as he drove. The road began to get thinner, until it was just a path. He stopped the motorcycle, but didn’t turn off the engine. “Do you trust me?”
“Not completely,” I said.
“Hold on tight,” he said. I tightened my arms around his waist. He began to drive the bike again; this time gently weaving in and out of trees. I watched over his shoulder, not able to look away.
He stopped when we got to an open field. It was just a field with grass and trees surrounding it. He took off his helmet, and put it on his handle bar. I was still wrapped tightly around him, so he didn’t move. “Sarah. We aren’t driving anymore. You can let go now,” he said. I quickly untangled myself from him, then jumped off the bike. I took off my helmet, and put it on his other handlebar.
“Are you gonna tell me where we’re going now?” I asked him.
“This is it,” he said as he looked at the field. “But this is it in the daylight. I really want you to see it at night. It’s so much more beautiful.”
“It’s perfect,” I whispered. I took a few steps into the field and just marveled at it. It was the simplest little place I had ever seen. There were a few flowers, but it was mostly just trees and grass. And still, it was the most beautiful place I could have ever imagined. Dean stood right behind me now, close enough that I could feel his breath on my neck.
“I wouldn’t say that while you’re standing here,” he whispered. His breath tickled as it slithered across my neck. I wanted to shiver, but I was frozen in place. I wanted to look at him and see what was in his eyes, but still, I could not move. His words had caught me off guard, and I had no response to them. We stood there like that for a little bit. Him standing centimeters away from me, his eyes burning holes in my skull; and me marveling at this tiny little field. “We better be getting back to school,” he said, breaking the silence.
He started waling back to the motorcycle, but I still stood frozen in place. “Sarah?” His voice melted my frozen position, and I was able to turn around and walk towards him.
“Do we have to leave right now?” I could hear the whine in my voice. I didn’t want to leave this magical wonderland.
“By the time we get to school, we’ll have about five minutes before our next classes,” he said. I watched as he slid on his helmet, and sat on his bike. I did the same, and I wrapped my arms around his waist, without hesitation this time. He drove through the trees again, and I was still afraid that he would wreck into one.
I trusted him completely, but there was still that slim chance that we would wreck. When we were finally out of the woods and driving on the dirt road again, I felt relieved. I unwrapped my arms from around his waist, and slowly slid them down his arms. I could feel each muscle on the tips of my fingers. When my fingers made it to his hand, I wrapped my hands around his. My hands maneuvered with his as he drove through traffic.
When we got back to school, he parked his motorcycle next to my car. I took off my helmet and handed it to him. He put it on his right handlebar, and put his on the left handlebar. I jumped off of his motorcycle, and shook out my hair. When I lifted my head back up, he was standing about two inches in front of me. “Ready to go back in there?” He looked over at the school, and then back at me.
“Let’s go,” I said. We walked back into school together, and people watched us as we walked through the doors, side by side. And just as quickly as they had probably started, the rumors were whispered around us.
“I heard that they were kicked out of school,” said one girl.
“I heard that they were having sex in one of their cars,” said the boy that was standing next to her.
I stopped listening, and just walked to the cafeteria with Dean. As soon as we walked into the cafeteria, it fell silent. And then everyone started whispering. We heard the same things that we heard in the cafeteria. Instead of being hurt by these rumors, I was fascinated by what they had come up with. “Just ignore them,” Dean whispered to me. He put his hand on the small of my back, and lead me to an empty table. I sat in the chair closest to the window, and he sat across from me. Now I was staring right at my friends. “Later,” mouthed Mia. I threw my head into my head, and tried not to sit here and slap myself. All that time I was out with Dean, I hadn’t once thought about what my friends would be thinking.
When the bell rang for us to go to our next class, I slowly stood up. I was careful to stay close to Dean; I was hoping to avoid my friends for a little while. “I’ll walk you to your locker,” Dean said. He put his hand on my back again, and walked me to my locker. “Where do you have to go?”
“Math,” I said. I opened my locker, and bent down to grab my books. When I stood back up, Dean was still there. “Where do you have to go?”
“English, I think.” I closed my locker, and leaned against it.
“I’ll see you in study hall?” When I said that, I felt like study hall couldn’t come soon enough. When I looked up at him, I felt like a mouse. He was so much taller than me!
“Yeah. I’ll see you then,” he said. He pushed his body off of the locker, and, with one last glance at me, walked away. I watched as he walked away. I stood there, just watching where he had disappeared. When I glanced at the clock in the hall, I saw that I only had one minute to get to class. I ran to class, and walked in the door just as the bell rang.
I made my way to my seat, which was next to one of those goth kids that doesn’t shower. I sat on the farthest edge of my chair and put my hand over my nose. I blocked out the teacher. I thought about the field, and how beautiful it was. It’s perfect, I had said.
I wouldn’t say that while you’re standing here, Dean had said to me. His words snaked through my mind, willing me to always remember them.
Before I knew it, the bell was ringing. I grabbed my books off of my desk, and slowly walked out of the door. When I was wondering where I was supposed to go next, I remembered. Study hall! I get to see Dean now! I’ve known Dean for only two days now, and already I had these strong feelings for him.
I walked as fast as I could to my locker. I opened my locker, threw my books in, and closed it. When I looked up, I nearly had a heart attack. Dean was leaning against the locker next to mine, just watching me. I hadn’t even heard him approach. “Ready?”
“Yes,” I said. We walked to the cafeteria together, and once again, he sat by me. We talked about the field he had taken me to, and he was trying to plan when he could get me to see it at night. He made jokes about stealing me away in the middle of the night, and I laughed every time he did.
“Well, how about this? On Friday night, your birthday, you come with me to the field when it gets dark.” He waited for me to say something, but I didn’t. This time he was serious; I could see it in his eyes. I couldn’t think of a better birthday present. “Hold that thought. I’ll be right back.”
He walked away, and I just sat there, dumbstruck. The whole time he was gone, I tried to think of something to say. When I saw him walking back towards me, I still hadn’t thought of what to say. He walked right past me and whispered, “Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?”
“Ha ha, very funny.” He laughed at me, and I playfully slapped is arm. His face instantly turned serious.
“Okay, serious now. What do you think? Your birthday, or is that too far away?” He stared straight into my eyes, making thinking impossible.
“It’s Wednesday. I think i’ll survive until Friday night.” I looked him in the eye, and quickly added to my statement. “It’s perfect, Dean. I can’t wait.”
“Well, if you can’t wait, I can show you tonight. I’ll kidnap you from your bed.” And just like that, he was joking again. I couldn’t help myself; I had to laugh. What made me laugh so hard was the fact that his face was so serious.
“Dean! Sarah! This is a quiet study hall,” yelled our teacher. A huge grin spread across Dean’s face, and my heart stopped. I stopped breathing, and just watched as his grin faded. I was once again able to breath, and my heart started again. “I’m warning you two!” That just made us laugh harder. She turned back to her work and ignored us.
The bell was ringing too soon. It felt like study hall had only lasted five minutes, when it had actually lasted forty minutes. Just as we were about to part ways, Dean whispered something to me. “We never got to talk at that field. We need to. Meet me at my motorcycle after school,” he said. He walked away right after he finished, not giving me time to respond.
I sped through my last two classes. I didn’t bother bringing anything to chemistry last period; we wouldn’t need anything. Chemistry was over quicker then I thought it would be. When the bell rang, I walked out the door ad went to my locker. I grabbed my phone, and my keys, and locked up my locker.
I beat Dean out to his motorcycle. I leaned against it, being careful not to knock it over. I ran my fingers over the soft leather seat, loving how it felt on my fingertips. “The leather is my favorite part.” I jumped at the sound of his voice. “Are you ready to talk?” He held out the helmet I had worn earlier, and I put it on my head.
We went through the same routine. We climbed on his bike, I wrapped my arms tightly around his waist, and we drove off. I watched as people pointed at us and whispered to each other. They were probably saying the same things they had said earlier.
There wasn’t much traffic, so we made it to the field quicker. It was a good thing, and a bad thing at the same time. Getting here quicker meant less time to think. I gave Dean my helmet, and walked out into the field. I sat it the grass, and felt myself fall backwards. The sun light beamed off of my face, but I was more focused on the finger that was now running down my cheek. “I’m sorry,” said the voice that came with the finger.
“For what?” I snapped my eyes open, and looked at Dean, who was sitting beside me. He put his head on his knees, hiding his face from me.
“For kissing you. I didn’t mean to. I lost it. And I thought I was losing you. You were just so mad at me this morning, and you wouldn’t tell me what was wrong. And that I fought with that guy that had his hands all over you and then you put your arm around me and it felt so good. But you still looked mad and I couldn’t help myself I was so scared. Can you ever forgive me? Please yes, Sarah. Just please say-”
“Shut up. I’m not mad at you.” He let out a long breath and lifted up his head. “I promise I’m not mad at you.” I put my hand in his hair, and pulled his face down to mine. I kissed him with everything I had, and he seemed surprised at first, but he kissed me back. “There. Now we’re even,” I whispered breathlessly.
I rolled over onto my back, and felt the Louisiana sun beat down on my face. I could feel fingers intertwining with mine, but it was all so different. I felt like I was in a whole different universe. I squeezed the fingers that were in my hand, and I could feel him pull away. I opened my eyes, and looked at him. “Why are you so careful with me?”
“I don’t want to break you,” he said. “You look so fragile.” I laced my fingers through his again, and he didn’t pull away.
“I’m tougher than I look,” I said. I crawled closer to him, and rested my head on his shoulder. I closed my eyes again, and he started to stroke my hair. Every time he touched me, I felt like I was going to burst into flames. Like I was a bomb about to explode.
“Come on. I should get you back to your car so you can pick up your sister.” He started to stand up, but I pulled him back down.
“She can ride the bus,” I whispered. He chuckled, and started to stand up again. This time, he pulled me up with him. “Fine,” I sighed.
When we were on his motorcycle about to drive away, he said, “By the way, we aren’t even. You hit me in the back of the head when I kissed you, remember?” Then he revved the engine, preventing me from saying anything. He followed the speed limit as we drove down the highway, making the drive longer. I rested my chin on his shoulder, and held my arms tight around his waist.
Even with the extra time, we arrived at the school quicker than I wanted to. I tried to hand Dean my helmet, but he refused to take it. “Keep it. You’re going to need it again.” He pulled his helmet off as I started to climb off of the vehicle. He pulled my face down, and kissed me sweetly. It was a short kiss, but it was so sweet. “That should have been our first kiss,” he whispered against my lips. I stumbled backwards, trying to make it to my car.
I walked to the driver’s side of my car as if I were drunk. Drunk off of that kiss. I gently placed the red helmet in the seat next to me, and drove away. I glanced at the clock. If I headed to the elementary school right now, I would make perfect timing to pick up Jess. So I headed straight to her school.
When I got there, I saw her. Her back was facing me, so I rolled down the window to scream her name. But just as I was about to yell, she moved to the side, and I saw that she was talking to a boy about her age. When she turned around and spotted me, she bit her lip, and waved to him. She ran to the car, clutching her books close to her chest. “Who was that?” I asked when she got into the car.
“Ethan,” she said. She sighed dramatically, and I just laughed and drove away. “Can I move this?” I looked over and saw the helmet in her hands. When I didn’t answer, she set it in her lap.
She didn’t talk the whole way home. That was something new and surprising. “Don’t even start to lecture me about how school comes before boys.” She had caught me just before the words flew out of my mouth. “I could say the same thing to you. Don’t give me that look! I saw the way you were looking at that guy last night!”
“And how was I looking at him?” If she wants to play that game, then so be it.
“Sarah and Dean, sittin’ in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes-” I put my hand over her mouth hoping to quiet her. But she hummed the rest of it. When she was done, she licked my hand, and I dropped it.
“You little twerp! That was disgusting!” We were home now, so she ran out of the car, and into the house. I pulled the keys out of the ignition, and chased after her. I followed her into the kitchen, where I found her standing next to Mom.
“Mommy she’s gonna kill me!” She screamed. She cowered behind my mom, making it impossible to get to her.
“Girls, cut it out. Sarah, put your fist down. Can’t you see how scared she is? Jessie, what did you do to make her so mad?” I slowly lowered my fist. I kept it clenched, but put it down to my side.
“The little twerp licked my hand! She’s so annoying, I hate her!” I stormed out of the room, and stomped up the stairs. I had just gotten into my room when I heard Mom yelling for me.
“Sarah! Get back down here!” She yelled.
“No!” I slammed my door as hard as I could, and then locked it. I jumped onto my bed, grabbed a pillow, and screamed into it. I grabbed my laptop off of my nightstand, and turned it on. While it was loading, there was a heavy banging on my door. Someone was turning the knob, but it was locked so that was getting them nowhere.
“Sarah! Open this door right now!” Just as my mom yelled this, I had logged on and gone to my music. I clicked on a song, and yelled back before it started.

Deeloves said...
May 7, 2013 at 2:54 pm:
OMG....!!! you have to keep writing the story.... i couldnt look away....!

A girl from Asia said...
Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:32 am:
Hi, THIS IS A GREAT STORY. AT first it sorta sounded like Twilight with the carrying her to the nurse's office and debates about who to drive and stuff. The rest was cool. Thanks for sharing!

poemluv said...
Sept. 18, 2012 at 11:53 am:
I love it! The immagery is PERFECT, and The plot is so fantastic and beautiful!!!! You should make a sequel :3

its_just_me replied...
Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:51 am :
I'm planning on it, I just have to figure out a good cliff hanger for this book :) Thanks for the great comment!

nemish23 said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:00 am:

love it!

can't wait to read more!

your style is awesome and so are the characters- but there are a few grammar errors and stuff that need to be checked. but otherwise it's great :)

its_just_me replied...
May 11, 2012 at 1:51 pm :
Thanks! I'll be sure to do my editing soon :)

Roselove445This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:58 pm:
I cant wait to read more

its_just_me replied...
May 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm :
Thanks !!!

DawningCelesta said...
Thanks for writing! I really liked the plot line, and the mysterious aspects that you were able to resolve in the end. It's hard to come to a conclusion with a short book, but you managed it very well (: I'm trying to incorporate some of these same themes in mine; it's not done yet, so if you have any suggestions they would be much appreciated!

its_just_me replied...
Jan. 4, 2012 at 5:25 pm :
I'm not done with it yet, I'm just too lazy to finish it right now. I just wanted to post what I have done to get people's opinions. But thanks!

KittyKitty replied...
Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm :
You need to finish it!!!!! Its like, the best book ever!!!! I wanna read part 2!!!

Cbsiegel said...

That's the best book ever!

its_just_me replied...
Dec. 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm :
Thanks!!(:

Alexandra S. said...
Oh my gosh this is amazing!!! definelely one of the best things i have ever read!!! you're an amazing writer!

its_just_me replied...
Dec. 23, 2011 at 9:08 pm :
Thank you !!

LittleMiss said...
I love this, the way your word things..incredible plus I love guardian angels so i like how you wove that into this keep writing your amazing

its_just_me replied...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm :
Thank you. (:

LittleMiss replied...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm :
could you read over my piece i would love your opinion

FallenAngel1 said...

I agree with everyone else, you are a very talented writer and you should do this for a living. There are only a handful of people that have the talent to create such wonderous things like this, you are definetly one of them!!!

Sincerly Your Friend,

FallenAngel1

its_just_me replied...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm :
I do plan on being an author when I grow up. I'm just afraid I won't make it. But thank you :)