Shush . . .

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Chapter 3

STUDY hall went faster then I wanted it to. Before I knew it, the bell was ringing for us to go to seventh period. I didn’t want to leave. Dean made me feel safe. Or at least as safe as I could feel when I’m around a guy that makes me faint whenever he looks at me.
“Are you sure you want to go to class?” Dean was still concerned that I wasn’t okay to go to class.
“I’ll be fine. Stop worrying.” Dean and I had talked a lot during study hall. Mostly about me. Now that I think about it, the only things I know about Dean are what he told me in the nurses office. When I tried to change the subject to him, he would change it back to me.
You should go back to the nurse, whispered the voice in my head. I inhaled sharply, and stopped walking. I stared at Dean, confusion clear on my face.
“How did you do that?” I stared at Dean, and his face turned into a mask.
“Do what? What are you talking about, Sarah?” His voice sounded honestly confused, but the hard mask on his face told me that he was hiding something.
“You . . . I heard your voice in my mind.”
“Are you saying . . . that I can talk to you through your thoughts? Do you know how crazy that sounds?” His face had turned into one that I didn’t recognize as he spoke. “Maybe you should go back to the nurse.”
“Stop playing games with me. I heard it. Don’t lie to me, Dean.”
“Come on. Your going back to the nurse.” He put his hand on my back and tried to push me forward. But I wouldn’t budge. “Stop being stubborn, Sarah.”
“I’m not going anywhere with you until you tell me what you where doing.” He seemed to think about this for a second. Then he surprised me. He picked me up into his arms and carried me like I wasn’t heavy at all. “Put me down!” He didn’t even glance down at me as I screamed at him. I pounded on his chest, but he ignored it.
When we got to the nurses office, he laid me down on one of the beds. The nurse came in the room, and looked at me to make sure I was okay. “What’s going on?”
“Sarah says she isn’t feeling well. Can I take her home?” She seemed to ponder this thought, and then slowly nodded her head. She signed us passes to give to the office, telling them that we were both leaving.
“I hope you feel better, Sarah.” the nurse said as Dean picked me up and walked out the door. I crossed my arms stubbornly, and let Dean carry me to my locker. He set me down, and started to put in my combination. When the lock clicked open, I was freaked out.
“How do you know my combination?” He grabbed my keys, my bag, and my cellphone, the closed my locker and locked the lock. He lifted up my sleeve, and pointed to numbers written in blue sharpie. My combination. I was afraid I would forget it, so I wrote it on my arm.
“Your sleeve came up when I carried you to the nurse the first time. I’m good at remembering things.” He handed me my phone and bag, but kept my keys. He started walking, and looked back at me when I didn’t move. “Do you want me to carry you again?” Actually, yes. But I didn’t want him to know that. I started to walk towards him. He matched my pace as we walked down the hall. I kept waiting for him to give me my keys, but he never did.
When we reached my car, I headed towards the drivers side of the car. But so did Dean. He unlocked the door, and got in. “What do you think you’re doing?” I asked him.
“I’m driving you home,” he said simply. He put my key in the ignition, and started the car. “Aren’t you gonna get in?”
“Do I have a choose?”
“Nope.” I sighed dramatically, and went to the passengers side. He leaned over and unlocked the door for me. I got in, and slammed the door shut. I sat on the farthest edge of my seat, trying to stay as far away from Dean as I could. “Don’t be mad at me.”
I crossed my arms, physically telling him that I was mad at him. He turned my car onto my street, but went the opposite way from my house. He pulled over at the park. “Come on.” He got out of the car and gently shut his door. I stayed in the car, still mad at him. He walked farther and farther away from the car. I suddenly felt uneasy, and wanted to be right next to him. I got out of the car and ran to his side.
He walked over to the swings, and I followed like a little puppy. “Sit in one. I’ll push you.” I suddenly felt like I was five years old again and I was spending time with my dad. I sat on the swing that I used to sit on.
Dean pushed me, and quicker than I would have thought possible, I was swinging as high as I could. I leaned as far back as I could without falling. “I’m flying! Dean, I’m flying!” I heard him laugh somewhere behind me, and the sound made me breathless.
I slowed down, and when I was only swinging a little bit, I felt hands slide around my waist, and I was pulled to a complete stop. “Are you ready to go now?” he whispered in my ear. I struggled to breathe. He was so close to me that I couldn’t think about anything but him.
“I think so,” I said. He laughed, and let go of my waist. I slid off of the swing, and Dean came to my side. We walked to the car, and he once again sat in the drivers seat. “Now where are we going?” I asked.
“I told you I was going to drive you home,” he said simply as he scanned the road.
“Okay, um, my house is the one up here on the left.”
“I know,” he said. I tried not to read too much into his answer, but I couldn’t help it. How did he know where my house was? I couldn’t answer my own question. It just didn’t make any sense.
We pulled up into my driveway, and he hit the button to open my garage door. He pulled my car into the garage, and then stopped the car. We both got out, and he locked the car once I closed my door. “I guess I should say goodbye now,” he said.
“No, don’t. Stay for dinner.” What was I doing? I don’t even know him, and here I was, asking him to stay for dinner.
“Okay,” he said.
“Sarah? Who are you talking to in there?” Well, I guess my mom is home from work. I squeezed my eyes shut, and mentally prepared myself to introduce her to Dean. I really hope this goes well. Dean and I walked into the house. He walked right behind me, so close that I could feel his breath on the back of my neck.
“Hey, Mom. How was work today?” Mom works as a banker. She usually got home around 4 o’clock, so I was surprised that she was home early again.
“It was fine. Sarah, who’s your friend?” She looked Dean over, probably taking in the protective stance he had and how close he was to me.
“Um, this is Dean Lenz. He’s new this year.” She stared at Dean for a few more seconds before putting on a warm smile. She walked over and shook his hand.
“Hello, Dean. I’m Jenny Blake. But you can just call me Jenny,” she said politely. She released her hand from his, and walked back into the kitchen. She grabbed her glass of tea and drank some. The smell of chili was in the air, and I was suddenly very hungry.
“We’re gonna go up to my room and watch TV,” I said, pulling Dean out of the room.
“Alright, honey. Don’t forget to pick your sister up at 4!”
“I won’t,” I said. I towed Dean up the stairs. He stopped half way up, and stared at one of my favorite pictures. It was a picture of me and my dad at the park when I was little. He had me on one of his shoulders, and we were both smiling widely.
“Is this your dad?”
“Yeah. He, um, passed away a while ago.” It had happened when I was little, but I remember it perfectly.

“Are you Mrs. Blake?” asked the police officer at the door.
“Yes,” said my mom, a question in her voice.
“I’m very sorry, but your husband was killed last night,” the man said. I heard my mom whimper. “He was driving when another car collided into his side. He died on impact. By the way the accident looked, we have reason to believe that he was murdered.” I didn’t understand what the man was saying, but I cried when I saw my mom start crying.
I was sticking my head through the posts of the stairs, but I quickly pulled it out. I ran down the stairs and to my mom’s side. “Mommy? Don’t cry, Mommy.”
She picked me up, and set me on her hip. She was pregnant with my little sister then, so I almost didn’t fit on her hip. “Why don’t you go watch TV, or something while I talk to these nice men.” I had looked at the two men. One was old with salt and pepper hair, the other was young with long blonde hair.
She set me down, and I ran up to her room. But I didn’t turn on the TV. I could hear their conversation up here.
“Mrs. Blake, can you think of anyone that would want to cause your husband harm?”
“No, sir. James was a very friendly man. He had no enemies.”
“If you think of anything, give us a call.”
“Thank you, officer.” The men had walked out, and the door shut behind them. I heard my mom coming up the stairs, so I quickly turned on the TV. I was flipping through the channels when the door opened.
“Honey, we need to talk,” my mom had said.
“Okay, Mommy.”
“Your Dad-” She stopped then, struggling to go on. “Daddy isn’t coming back. Last night, he was in a car accident.”
“What do you mean he’s not coming back? Like he’s on a permanent vacation?”
“No, he’s not on vacation. Daddy died, sweetie.”
“No! He’s not dead!” I ran out of her room, and into mine. Tears were flowing down her face when I stormed out of the room.

“I’m sorry, Sarah.” He took me into his arms, and I cried into his chest. Jess never got to meet her dad. But she looks exactly like him. The only things she knew about him were what we remembered about him, and what was in the pictures she saw. I wiped the tears from my face, and untangled myself from his embrace.
“That was a very long time ago. Come on.” I wiped the last tears from my face, and led him towards my room. He closed the door behind him as he walked in.
“Do me a favor?” I did my best to not look at him, but he walked in front of me. He was so close that I touched him every time one of us took a deep breath. “Never hide your feelings from me.” He wiped away the tears that were still falling down my face. He did it gently, and that surprised me. His thumbs left hot trails where they had brushed away the tears.
I nodded my head, not trusting my voice. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders again. I cried out my sadness, and he still held me after that. We had moved to the chair in the corner of my room, and he sat me in his lap. I looped my arms around his neck, and rested my head against his shoulder.
“When’s your birthday?” Well that was random. Here we were, sitting in each others embrace while I cry, and he asks me when my birthday is.
“September third. Friday,” I said. He seemed to ponder this. I wished I could just get inside of his mind and figure out what he was thinking. I happened to glance over at the clock.
“Shoot!” I jumped out of his lap, and searched my room for my car keys.
“Sarah?”
“Where are my car keys?” He dug in his pocket, and pulled out my keys. He held them out to me, but pulled away when I reached for them. “I don’t have time for games, Dean! Give me my keys!”
“Explain first. Why are you freaking out?”
 “It takes me fifteen minutes to get to the elementary school. I’ve got five minutes to get there. Give me my keys!” He finally gave them to me, and I ran to the door. “Do you want to come with me?”
“Nope. I think I’m gonna stay here and talk to your mom.”
“Good luck with that. She hasn’t been . . . right ever since we lost my dad,” I warned him. I ran down the stairs, and he was right behind me. When we got to the kitchen, I turned towards the garage door, and he took a seat on one of the counter stools. “I’ll be back shortly.”
I rushed out the door, and unlocked my car. I jumped into my car, and turned the key in the ignition. I opened the garage door, and got anxious when it didn’t open quickly. When it finally opened, I sped out of it, and hit the button for it to close again. I sped down the streets, trying to get to the school on time.
I got there in ten minutes, and I was only five minutes late. Jess climbed into the car, and buckled her seatbelt. “You’re late,” she said.
“I know. I’m sorry, sis.”
“It’s okay, I guess. Just don’t be late again.” Was I that sassy at that age? I remember being a lot more happy and having a better attitude.
“Okay, fix your attitude. I’m not putting up with this again. You better be on your best behavior tonight.” She crossed her arms across her chest, putting on a stubborn face. Every time she did that I would think of Dad when Mom wanted him to take out the trash.
“Why should I be?”
“Because we have company tonight, and I’m pretty sure he didn’t come so he could listen to your attitude all night.”
“Ooh! Does somebody have a new boyfriend? What’s his name?”
“His name is Dean, and he is not my boyfriend! He’s just a friend.”
“Right now.” A huge smile spread across my face. This girl was obnoxious and drove me crazy, but I love her so much.
“I love this song!” She reached for the volume, and blasted it. I rolled down the windows, and my hair blew everywhere. Jess started singing to the song, but I couldn’t hear her over all the other noise.
The ride home seemed shorter than the ride to the school. Before I knew it, I was parking my car in the garage. I rolled up the windows, and turned down the volume on the radio. Jess grabbed her stuff off the floor of my car and ran inside. I locked up my car and closed the garage door.
The first thing I saw when I walked inside made me laugh hysterically. In front of the stove I saw Dean. He was wearing an apron, and had cooking utensils in his hands. “Don’t laugh at me. I’m learning how to cook chili,” he said. And, of course, I just laughed harder.
“Aright, Dean. You’re off duty now. Thanks for helping,” my mom said.
“Anytime,” he said. He handed her what he was holding, and turned towards me. I held up my phone.
“This is the perfect photo op!” I was about to press the button when he ran towards me and took my phone out of my hands. He picked me up off the ground, and swung me around the room. When he put me down, I attacked him for my phone. He put it in his back pocket.
“You can have it back if you get it,” he said. I threw my hands up, showing him that I surrender. He took off his apron and put it back in the closet. When he looked normal, he finally gave me my phone back.
“I don’t know if I want that back,” I said. He shrugged, and started to put it back in his pocket. “Okay, I want it back! Give it!” I wrestled it out of his hands, and finally got it back. I heard my mom laugh behind him, and I remembered that we weren’t alone.
“Dinner’s ready. That is, if you’re not too busy to eat.”
“Ha ha. Very funny, Mom.” We grabbed our bowls of soup, and sat at the table. I sat at my usual seat, and Dean sat in Jessie’s seat. I can’t wait to see her face when she sees someone else sitting in her seat.
“Jessie! Dinners ready!” Mom was yelling up the stairs, trying to be heard over the music. The house suddenly went silent as Jess turned off her music and came downstairs for dinner. When she saw Dean in her seat, I saw anger in her eyes. She was about to make a rude remark, but I stopped her.
“Attitude,” I said. She calmed down a little, and sat in a different seat. “Thanks for dinner, Mom.” I smiled at my mom as she sat down. Dean cleared his throat beside me, and I turned my head towards him. “You stole my phone. You don’t get a thank you.”
I turned my head away from him, and looked towards my mom. I was about to ask my mom why she was home so early when hands were tickling my stomach. I laughed until I was breathless. “Stop! Dean, stop!”
“I helped with dinner, too,” he said.
“Okay, okay! Thank you!” I said breathlessly. The hands were gone, and I could breath again. I slowly caught my breath, and eventually I was breathing normally again. “You’re cruel!”
“I think that’s the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me,” he said.
“Just eat your soup,” I said. He got a bunch of chili on his spoon and shoved it all into his mouth. “Ew! That’s disgusting!” Despite my disgust, I started to laugh. “And by the way, this is my little sister, Jess. Jess, this is my friend Dean.”
“So you’re the Dean I’ve heard so much about,” she said. They started talking to each other, and I just sat there and was grateful that Jessie was being nice for once. She’s finally listening to me when I ask her to do something. Well, there’s a shock!
When everybody was finished with their dinner, Dean and I went back to my room. “Thanks for dinner, Mrs. Blake,” Dean said again
“Thanks for helping, Dean!” She said enthusiastically. I dragged him up the stairs, trying to prevent a long conversation with my mom.
I jumped onto my bed, staring at the ceiling. Dean leaned against the door, not sure what to do. “Come sit by me,” I said.
“Actually, I think I have to go,” he said. I sat up, and looked straight into his black eyes. He stared back at me. I wonder what he sees when he looks at me.
“Are you sure you have to go?” He nodded his head, and I sighed. “Okay. I’ll drive you home.”
“I can walk. I don’t live too far away.” By the way he said this, I knew I shouldn’t argue.
“Okay. But at least let me walk you to the door,” I said. He smiled, and we walked out of my room. When we passed the kitchen, we saw my mom still in there.
“Thank you for everything, Mrs. Blake,” Dean said.
“No problem! Thanks for helping me! Come back anytime!” Her enthusiasm was so fake that even Dean could probably tell. We walked to the door, and he stood there.
“Goodbye, Sarah.” I bit my lip, trying to keep myself from jumping into his arms and begging him to stay, like I wanted to.
“Goodbye, Dean. I’ll see you tomorrow?”
“Absolutely.” He leaned down and kissed me on the cheek. I almost fainted again, but I managed to stay standing. He walked out the door, and I waved to him as he left.
“Sarah?” I turned my head towards the kitchen, and saw my mom looking at me. I looked out the doorway again, and Dean had disappeared.

This book has 68 comments. Post your own now!

Deeloves said...
OMG....!!! you have to keep writing the story.... i couldnt look away....!

A girl from Asia said...
Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:32 am
Hi, THIS IS A GREAT STORY. AT first it sorta sounded like Twilight with the carrying her to the nurse's office and debates about who to drive and stuff. The rest was cool. Thanks for sharing!

poemluv said...
Sept. 18, 2012 at 11:53 am
I love it! The immagery is PERFECT, and The plot is so fantastic and beautiful!!!! You should make a sequel :3

its_just_me replied...
Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:51 am
I'm planning on it, I just have to figure out a good cliff hanger for this book :) Thanks for the great comment!

nemish23 said...
Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:00 am

love it!

can't wait to read more!

your style is awesome and so are the characters- but there are a few grammar errors and stuff that need to be checked. but otherwise it's great :)

its_just_me replied...
Thanks! I'll be sure to do my editing soon :)

Roselove445This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I cant wait to read more

its_just_me replied...
Thanks !!!

DawningCelesta said...
Thanks for writing! I really liked the plot line, and the mysterious aspects that you were able to resolve in the end. It's hard to come to a conclusion with a short book, but you managed it very well (: I'm trying to incorporate some of these same themes in mine; it's not done yet, so if you have any suggestions they would be much appreciated!

its_just_me replied...
I'm not done with it yet, I'm just too lazy to finish it right now. I just wanted to post what I have done to get people's opinions. But thanks!

KittyKitty replied...
You need to finish it!!!!! Its like, the best book ever!!!! I wanna read part 2!!!

Cbsiegel said...

That's the best book ever!

its_just_me replied...
Thanks!!(:

Alexandra S. said...
Oh my gosh this is amazing!!! definelely one of the best things i have ever read!!! you're an amazing writer!

its_just_me replied...
Thank you !!

LittleMiss said...
I love this, the way your word things..incredible plus I love guardian angels so i like how you wove that into this keep writing your amazing

its_just_me replied...
Thank you. (:

LittleMiss replied...
could you read over my piece i would love your opinion

FallenAngel1This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I agree with everyone else, you are a very talented writer and you should do this for a living. There are only a handful of people that have the talent to create such wonderous things like this, you are definetly one of them!!!

Sincerly Your Friend,

FallenAngel1

its_just_me replied...
I do plan on being an author when I grow up. I'm just afraid I won't make it. But thank you :)