Don't Need Anyone

Author's note: It's also humor or mystery, but it only allowed one tag:P
Enjoy. Don't let Renee get too crazy.
Enjoy. Don't let Renee get too crazy.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Prologue

I stumbled out of the car, heels striking the street with a pronounced clack. I stood up, ignoring the fire shooting through my legs, and had started towards the front door when a hand caught my wrist, spinning me around. Devon glanced down at me, worried.

“Ren, are you sure you’re OK?” he asked. I cringed at the name.

“Please don’t call me that.” It came out in a whisper.

A puzzled expression crossed his face. “Why…?” He shook his head. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“Yes, Devon,” I replied tiredly. “I am A-OK. Now could I please get inside?”

He let go of my wrist slowly, dark eyes on mine as I stumbled back to the door, fiddled with the lock, and slid inside.

I’d never even said it was a semi-good date.

At least, good by my standards. He’d taken me to a nice movie, a nice dinner, picked me up and dropped me off in a nice car, and paid for it all.

But he just couldn’t stop fussing.

“Renee, do you need help here?” “Is this too high for you?” “Want me to carry that?” “Will your parents be alright with this?” These comments plagued me the whole night. Yes, I’m fine. No, I do not need your help. No, they won’t care any more than they care about the Mets. Which isn’t a whole lot.

And the sad thing was, he was better than most of them.

Sighing, I shucked my four inch high daggers into the corner and crawled up the stairs—literally. Hands on one step, feet three below, hands up, feet up. It was the quietest way to get to the bedroom without alerting my parents to my presence.

I, on the other hand, was completely aware of theirs.

“James!” I winced as the shriek dug into my tender ears. Someday soon they’d start bleeding “What the hell is wrong with you? You bought a three hundred dollar suit just for a business meeting!” I reached my room. Quickly, I entered and closed the door behind me. My elbow snapped completely straight as it slammed shut, and a red haze crossed my vision. I slowly slid to my butt, but the voices continued.

“Yeah, a business meeting! For my job! You know, the one that keeps this roof over our heads?”

I dragged myself over to the bed, and slung a leg over the top. The other followed and, with more than a little effort, I lifted my head and torso to the cushion. Thank G-d I have such a short bed. The screams hadn’t ended yet. I buried my head beneath the pillow, breathing in the faint smell of cookie dough. I love my air freshener.

I stayed there for minutes. After all, what was the point in getting up? Lena wouldn’t text me till morning, and I didn’t have anything else to do.

My elbow begged to differ.

The initial shock of straightening it had worn off, but the dull ache I was forced to greet every night had returned. It grew, bit by bit, until I couldn’t ignore it anymore.

Cursing, I hopped out of my bed as if it were still two feet high. As I landed, my knees protested much more strongly than they had before. Dammit, at this rate I was going to be a grandma at sixteen.

I hobbled to the little station I’d erected in my room years ago. A small, chilled bucket stuffed with ice and box upon box of zipline bags. These bags of ice were my best friends every night.

Quickly scooping up and dumping ice into the bags, my fingers starting to go numb, I made decent time. About a minute later I was back in bed, one bag at the right elbow, one on each knee.

I glanced down at myself in satisfaction. See? I thought, towards Devon and all of the rest of them. I can handle myself. I don’t need anyone.

I could only hope someday they believed it. Because at the moment, none of them did.

Not even me.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

SecretNonConformist said...
I like it so far. Renee's voice makes me laugh so much yet she is so real. Her pain over her missing brother is real, which is the most important part. I'm excited to read more!

OfficialApprover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm :
Thank you! :)

Donttrust said...
I read the rest of this on inkpop and it's amazing I loved it I ditched my other book I was readingto read this one good job.
p.s. Cookie dough airfreshner?!

Jan. 9, 2011 at 5:58 pm :

Thank you so much! =D

And yes, cookie dough air freshenerXD

agypup replied...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm :
omg! is that real? I have to have it!

Jan. 11, 2011 at 9:06 pm :
Bahaha yepXD I have some myself.

Donttrust replied...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 11:22 pm :

YOU HAVE SOME !!! /

WHERE'D YOU GET IT! omg I'm completely jelous.

Jan. 12, 2011 at 10:31 am :
XD They were on a sale at Target. <3

peregrinefalconThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, this is one fantastic read. You have talent. Can't wait to read more. Would you mind checking out some of my stuff? I'd love to hear your opinion.

Jan. 3, 2011 at 7:17 pm :
Thank you:) Of course I will.

ThatClarinetPerson said...

I'm too lazy to read the inkpop part of it right now, but this part is pretty good. It moves kind of quickly for a novel, but overall I like it.

Oh, and chpt. 3 is hard to read because the spacing didn't turn out.

Jan. 3, 2011 at 7:24 am :

Thanks! I didn't see this comment until now. -_- *headdesk*

Yeah, I know the spacing's messed up. -_- I tried to fix it but...yeah. Didn't work.

Just curious--how did you think it moved too fast?

Will.I.Is said...

You already know my opinions on this I love every single word right done to the last period. It is a great great great read and I recommend it to everyone.

I don't know my comments for lexie are never as long anymore because all I have is praise for fantastic writing.

Dec. 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm :
Thanks Will:) (if you're wondering how I'm on, one of my friends has a laptop--five minute break=D)

OfficialApprover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 8:51 am:

For anyone who wants to read more:

I have the entire book posted on inkpop, where there's no copy and paste. Just a note:)

XxDream_in_ColorxX said...
I love this!  I would love to read the rest of it. I love the storyline and the way it's developed so far.  I love the humor between Cole,  Renee, and Lena too.  It's really amazing. =]

Dec. 20, 2010 at 6:41 am :
Thank you! If you want, I have the whole think posted on inkpop, where there's no copy and paste.

XxDream_in_ColorxX replied...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 12:31 pm :
Oh, cool.  I'll go check it out.  Thanks!

Dec. 20, 2010 at 2:06 pm :
No problem! Thank you.

XxDream_in_ColorxX replied...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 6:53 pm :

(I don't have inkpop, so sorry that I reply on here. =])

I read the rest of it, and I say this a lot, but I loved it.  The surprise ending was great.  I thought it was a really funny (although sad) book.  I