Don't Need Anyone

Author's note: It's also humor or mystery, but it only allowed one tag:P
Enjoy. Don't let Renee get too crazy.
Enjoy. Don't let Renee get too crazy.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Prologue

I stumbled out of the car, heels striking the street with a pronounced clack. I stood up, ignoring the fire shooting through my legs, and had started towards the front door when a hand caught my wrist, spinning me around. Devon glanced down at me, worried.

“Ren, are you sure you’re OK?” he asked. I cringed at the name.

“Please don’t call me that.” It came out in a whisper.

A puzzled expression crossed his face. “Why…?” He shook his head. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“Yes, Devon,” I replied tiredly. “I am A-OK. Now could I please get inside?”

He let go of my wrist slowly, dark eyes on mine as I stumbled back to the door, fiddled with the lock, and slid inside.

I’d never even said it was a semi-good date.

At least, good by my standards. He’d taken me to a nice movie, a nice dinner, picked me up and dropped me off in a nice car, and paid for it all.

But he just couldn’t stop fussing.

“Renee, do you need help here?” “Is this too high for you?” “Want me to carry that?” “Will your parents be alright with this?” These comments plagued me the whole night. Yes, I’m fine. No, I do not need your help. No, they won’t care any more than they care about the Mets. Which isn’t a whole lot.

And the sad thing was, he was better than most of them.

Sighing, I shucked my four inch high daggers into the corner and crawled up the stairs—literally. Hands on one step, feet three below, hands up, feet up. It was the quietest way to get to the bedroom without alerting my parents to my presence.

I, on the other hand, was completely aware of theirs.

“James!” I winced as the shriek dug into my tender ears. Someday soon they’d start bleeding “What the hell is wrong with you? You bought a three hundred dollar suit just for a business meeting!” I reached my room. Quickly, I entered and closed the door behind me. My elbow snapped completely straight as it slammed shut, and a red haze crossed my vision. I slowly slid to my butt, but the voices continued.

“Yeah, a business meeting! For my job! You know, the one that keeps this roof over our heads?”

I dragged myself over to the bed, and slung a leg over the top. The other followed and, with more than a little effort, I lifted my head and torso to the cushion. Thank G-d I have such a short bed. The screams hadn’t ended yet. I buried my head beneath the pillow, breathing in the faint smell of cookie dough. I love my air freshener.

I stayed there for minutes. After all, what was the point in getting up? Lena wouldn’t text me till morning, and I didn’t have anything else to do.

My elbow begged to differ.

The initial shock of straightening it had worn off, but the dull ache I was forced to greet every night had returned. It grew, bit by bit, until I couldn’t ignore it anymore.

Cursing, I hopped out of my bed as if it were still two feet high. As I landed, my knees protested much more strongly than they had before. Dammit, at this rate I was going to be a grandma at sixteen.

I hobbled to the little station I’d erected in my room years ago. A small, chilled bucket stuffed with ice and box upon box of zipline bags. These bags of ice were my best friends every night.

Quickly scooping up and dumping ice into the bags, my fingers starting to go numb, I made decent time. About a minute later I was back in bed, one bag at the right elbow, one on each knee.

I glanced down at myself in satisfaction. See? I thought, towards Devon and all of the rest of them. I can handle myself. I don’t need anyone.

I could only hope someday they believed it. Because at the moment, none of them did.

Not even me.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

AlwaysandForever said...
wheres the rest?! its amazing, i cant wait to see what happens

GreenActressThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
One word: Wow. You have a way with words. This is amazing! GREAT job!

OfficialApprover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 1, 2011 at 11:20 pm :
Thanks! :D

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:57 am:
I love it! I just posted two books called nightstalker and the beast! if any of u read it make sure u post a comment saying if u liked it or not or if i should change anything. Thanks!

Jul. 19, 2011 at 5:30 pm :
Thanks! :)    

Opti1musPrIm3 said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:06 am:
This is a great book!! I really want to post a book on here, but it's hard!! I <3 reading though....

Jul. 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm :
Thank you! : D And yeah, it is hard to post a book here.

BlackRose55This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:35 am:
Hey what is your name because I don't know what one is yours on there.

Jul. 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm :
On inkpop I'm Lex Born. :D

Reese said...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:09 am:
How are we supposed to read it on the inkpop website? I went there and clicked (Read it) and it still wont let me read the story, is it still down off the website fore editing? I'd really like to be able to read the rest of the story, Thanks.

Jun. 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm :
Hmm, that's odd. I'll check for myself.  Do you not live in America? Because apparently the new inkpop reader is blocked in some countries. -_-

Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:31 pm:
I need more! It was great, and please get more soon! (:

Jun. 10, 2011 at 7:33 am :
Thank you! :D I won't be adding more here, 'cause there's copy & paste, but if you want to read the rest, it's posted on inkpop.

BlackRose55This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 7:04 pm :
sweet thanks

Jun. 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm :
No problem. :)

Savannah T. said...
May 26, 2011 at 1:49 am:
Write more please!!!!!!!!!!

Jun. 10, 2011 at 7:33 am :
Haha, this novel is actually completed! :D You can read the rest on inkpop if you want to. :D

dolphin13 said...
May 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm:
Wonderful Novel! I was caught immediately and couldn't stop reading. Keep writing!

Jun. 10, 2011 at 7:32 am :
Thank you! =D

becauseHeloves said...
May 11, 2011 at 7:56 am:
I must say this is absolutely astounding! This is by far the best completed novel that I've read up here- I actually followed it to inkpop to finish it and I was not disappointed. Sure it had a few grammatical errors, but I almost completely forgot the fact that this was written by a fellow teen! No seriously, it felt like I picked this up of the library or bookstore shelf (perhaps Barnes & Noble ^.^) Keep it up! Do you have any other stories in the works or completed? I would seriously like... (more »)