The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Truth or Dare

Over the next few days Shelly and I spent our time at the local swimming pool. We would talk, lie about, and gossip. It's almost like we didn’t just spend the last four years of our lives studying.
I never told her about Mike. I didn't want to ruin it when I didn't even know what was going on. I mean I didn't even know if he liked me for sure, and if there were any chances that he did, I wasn't going to jinx it.
"So, truth or dare." She asked me while we were lying out on our chairs.
"Truth." I replied.
"Is it true that you've never been kissed?" Shelly looked over at me with a bored expression on her face.
"I don't know why you asked me this question, you already know the answer. No, it isn't true because I kissed Jeremy Stone in fifth grade." I said while looking up at the sky.
"Fine, your turn." She reluctantly replied.
"Truth or Dare." I asked.
"I think I'm going to go with truth."
I swatted a couple flies away from me and pushed back my bangs that were getting wet due to the sweat beading from my forehead.
"Is It true..." Just as I was going to ask her a question, a bunch of girls came over to us that I recognized from the party.
"Hey, Its Macy and Shelly. What are you guys doing tonight?" A girl with long blonde hair asked.
"We don't know. We haven't really heard of anything going on." Shelly replied.
"Well, there's a party over at Duck Pond tonight. I guess it's a little ways out of town over at this kid Jason's family cabin. It's supposed to be awesome. There's going to be swimming, Fireworks, 2 working kegs, and Tons of people. You guys should totally come." The girl said very enthusiastically.
"Wow, It sounds like fun, I think we'll most likely check it out." Shelly replied back.
"Well, here's my number," she picked up a notebook and pen that was sitting next to Shelly and wrote down her number. "Just call me if you need directions or whatever." The girl said as she handed Shelly the piece of paper.
"Alright, thanks." Shelly said as the group of girls started walking away.
"Well," I said "That was weird and awkward."
"I met her last night. I was playing beer pong with her, remember?" Shelly asked.
"Sure." I said.
"Well, were going. That's for sure. I mean, look at it this way. We actually got invited." Shelly said with confidence.
That was one of those moments, where I was so glad I put make-up on and was wearing my new bathing suit.
"Alright, well, I think we should head over to my house and figure out what we're going to wear." Shelly said as she got up and started picking up her things, and piling them into her bag.
We got back over the Shelly's house and were up in her room and Shelly shuffled through her closet and dresser for things to try on. After what seemed like an hour Shelly had finally picked something out for herself and was now focused on me.
"How good are you at walking in heels?" Shelly asked.
"Why can't I just wear flats or something?" I whined.
"Stop being a baby. Fine, if you want to wear flats your subjected to wearing whatever I give you." She replied with a wicked smile on her face.
After seeing what she picked out for me, it wasn't so bad. It was a blue jean mini skirt with a pink halter top. I was surprised at how good I looked for once.
"Alright, you have to wear these pink flats.” Shelly handed them to me as I put it on.
We both looked in the mirror at each other and for once, you could tell we’re best friends.
“Alright,” Shelly announced. “Lets do this.”
We got to the party a little after ten. It was everything that the girl told us. There were lots of people milling around all over. Outside, there was a nice size bonfire and at least 20 people around it. Me and Shelly stepped inside where there was no space to walk around. We made it to the kitchen where the keg was and Shelly poured me and her a cup. We walked outside and went over to the bonfire. The girl who told us about the party was over there hanging out with a bunch of people. Shelly walked over there with me trailing right behind.
“I’m so glad you made it!” The girl turned and looked at us.
“Yeah, thanks Mariah.” Shelly told her.
“Is that keg beer?” Mariah asked as she scrunched up her nose.
“Yeah, we didn’t bring anything with us.” Shelly said.
“Well, hey, Kate bought me two fifths, so you and Macy can drink mine. Just follow me.” She said as she began walking over to a brand new porche. She opened the trunk and motioned for us to pour out our cups, so we did. She filled it half way with rum, and the other half with Coke. She stuck a straw in it and clapped her hands.
“Whenever you want some just ask me and I’ll come over here and fill them back up.” She said all chipper.
“Alright, thanks so much.” Shelly said.
“Yeah, thanks.” I replied.
“Don’t even worry about it.” Mariah replied.
We all three walked over to the bonfire and I took a sip of my drink and immediately cringed, but kept drinking anyways.
“Hey Macy.” Someone said behind me.
I turned around and saw Mike.
“Hey Mike, what’s up?” I said.
Shelly turned toward us and eyed Mike up and down.
“Hey, this is my best friend Shelly.” I said to him.
Shelly stuck out her hand and replied “Hey, You don’t live in Greenville, do you?” She said smiling.
“Actually, I just moved here. Dylan, the star quarterback is my brother. I’m living with him for the next year until I graduate.” Mike said,
“Wow, that’s so cool.” Shelly said to him still smiling.
“Well, Macy, Shelly, I’ll see you guys around.” He smiled as he started walking away.
“Oh, my gosh. Where the hell have you been hiding him?” Shelly asked as she swatted my arm.
“I met him over at Dylan’s. He was the one who helped me find you.” I said dryly.
“Oh, well, he’s cute.” She said as we both turned toward the fire. “Do you think he likes me?” She asked as she turned toward me grinning.
“I don’t know. Why don’t you just ask him?” I blurted out.
“That’s a great idea.” Shelly said as she finished her drink off, walking toward where Mariah was sitting.
Oh no. Why did I just say that? What if Mike likes her more? Why don’t you just walk over there and tell her how you feel? I thought.
I knew I wouldn’t though.
I chugged the rest of my drink no matter how much it burned going down. I have to tell her. I have to.
I walked over to where Mariah was filling up Shelly’s cup and I politely stuck my cup out as she filled it up and mixed it for me. I immediately started sucking it down when she gave it back to me. I started to feel really good. And all of a sudden I was walking up to everyone in sight and talking to them. Then I looked over and saw Mike standing there and decided to walk over to him.
“hey, your looking happy.” He said.
“I am, I am feeling really happy.” I said smiling from ear to ear.
“That’s good. So, where are you and Shelly sleeping tonight?” he asked.
“I really don’t know. And at this point I’m too happy to even care.” I said laughing.
“Well, Jason has an extra bedroom here. I can sleep on the couch and you two can sleep in there.” He said with that cute half smile.
“Wow, that’s really nice of you.” I replied. “Why did you move here?”
“I was getting into some bad things back home. Decided I needed a change of scene.” He said staring off somewhere.
“Oh hey you guys.” Shelly popped up sipping on her drink and stumbling a little bit.
I looked over and smiled.
“So, Mike found us somewhere to sleep.” I pronounced.
“If It’s anywhere by you, I’m game.” She said slyly toward Mike.
“I’m sorry but I’ll be sleeping on the couch.” He said casually.
“Bummer, would have been fun.” She said.
“Well, I’m going to go play some beer pong. Do you want to come with me Mike?” I asked boldly.
“Sure, maybe we can play on the same team.” He smiled down at me.
Mike and I walked toward the beer pong table with Shelly following behind.
Mike asked one of the guys who had next on the game and he replied back with nobody yet.
“I want to play.” Shelly whined leaning into Mike.
“Well you can play with Macy if you want.” Mike said looking away.
“No, that’s too bad. I was really hoping I could play on your team.” Shelly said batting her eyes.
“well, Mike, If you want you and Shelly can play first then I can play next game?” I said trying not to roll my eyes at Shelly.
“That would be great.” Shelly interrupted.
“Okay, I guess.” Mike replied not looking too happy.
Shelly threw the first cup and missed making it too far over the cups. The team across them sank the first cup and missed the second. Mike was up and sank the cup then Shelly missed.
“So, Macy, do you play any sports?” Mike asked turning his attention to me.
“I don’t. I’m pretty uncoordinated.” I replied back. I glanced over at Shelly and she seemed pretty uninterested in the game now that Mike wasn’t really talking to her.
“hey, Macy.” She said. “Do you just want to take my place? I think I’m going to go find Mariah to have her refill my cup.”
“No problem.” I replied.
Shelly walked away and I walked up to take her place. It was mine and Mike’s turn and we both immediately sunk the cups. A bunch of onlookers came over to watch the game as the winning team across from us began to lose. Every time they sank a cup me and Mike would switch turns drinking the beer. It was so much worse than the drink me and Shelly were getting from Mariah.
After about 20 minutes of playing the game we had at least 30 people crowding around us. People were yelling, screaming, and chanting. I felt as if I was playing basketball for the Celtics and I'm up to make a free throw.
We had one more cup, as did the other team. Finally, me and Mike both took our turns and on the last shot he made it. Everyone started screaming. But the game isn't over yet. If the other team can sink the last two cups then They win. Everyone watched as they were up. They both took there shot and missed each time. Me and Mike turn to face each other and gave a high five.
I lifted up my last remaining cup full of beer and downed it as fast as I could.
***
I woke up the next morning with my head hurting from and my mouth extremely dry. I rolled over on the bed and started to look around. The room had the fake wood paneling and the blanket I had draped over myself was some kind of fur. I hurriedly pushed it off me and saw Shelly laying next to me in Bed. She rolled over and her eyes opened and blinked a few times.
“Your up.” I said.
“Yea, for the moment.” She rolled back over and stretched.
We both got up and found our shoes and put them on. I walked out in the kitchen and I grabbed a glass full of water and gulped it down. My head hurt so bad and I was so dehydrated. I needed food in my stomach fast too. I went and met shelly out by her car.
“So, that was fun last night.” Shelly said with a smirk.
“Yea, it was.” I said thinking back to Mike and how he had admitted to me last night that he liked me.
“So, that kid you were talking to all night, you like him?” She said with a smile.
“I think so.” I admitted while looking down at the ground smiling.
“Well, I think my stomach might explode if I don’t eat something. I am so hungry.” Shelly laughed.
After me and Shelly stopped by Speed & Shop, our local gas station, to get some nachos and water she dropped me off at home. I went up to my room and laid down on the bed.
I can’t believe how much fun the previous night was. For once I was talking to people and I wasn’t even shy about it. I decided to go and sit out on my roof. I could see Shelly’s house perfectly from my room.
Shelly and I have been friends since before I could remember. One time her mom made cookies for us, and almost burned down the kitchen. She wasn’t exactly the handiest cook, but she was nice and always ordered pizza for us when we asked. All of my best memories are with Shelly. Like the time she asked out Jake Nelson for me and when he said no punched him right in the nose causing her to get suspended. She always had my back.

PurpleWriter said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm:
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:21 am :
Thank you. it means a lot.

AprilSunshine said...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm:
Oh my gosh... This story is amazing! I cried! Keep writing!

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:21 am :
I def am writing another book. The one I have going for me now thats uo on this site is Under the Summer Sky. I think everyone will enjoy it as much as they enjoyed this one.

ColorMeScarlet said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 7:28 pm:

I think your story is really nice, and I was drawn in with the summary. However, as soon as I started reading Chapter one, I had to stop. It was really choppy, turning me off to reading it completely.

But I think, if you lengthen your sentences, it would be even better.

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:23 am :
I agree about the choppy sentences but I think if you gave it a chance you will really enjoy it. I am writing another story where I am developing the charaters more thoroughly. Thanks for the tips.

PrincessSparkle said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:25 pm:
Oh yea and it's finished. lol.

PrincessSparkle said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm:
Yupp, I got lazy and decided to screw trying to make it perfect. It's the first book I ever wrote so w/e. Think what you may but My friends and family love it.

PerfectMGymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm:
i enjoyed reading this! once i stared reading the firsr chapter i was hooked and did not stop reading!! i hope to see more chapers from you soon! your an amazing writier!!! :)

PrincessSparkle replied...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm :
Yea, thanks. I kind of hit a rough patch while writing but Im also trying to finish it. Because of the amount of comments I got concerning the typo's and punc. mistakes I wanted to go back and edit before publishing it.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 7:36 pm:
You have a really great start here. It would be a lot easier to read if you edited it and worked on the grammar and flow; right now, it's a little choppy and the grammar problems sometimes detract from the story. Fix those things, and this story will go from good to awesome!

drmstarlet21 replied...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 10:46 am :
I agree that you should work on the flow and the errors. It being in one of the tops spots, I thought I would be hooked more than I am. I really like your story, I just feel like I am not getting into it. Once you smooth out the choppiness, I am sure I will become more engaged.

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:25 am :
Thanks for the tips. I am currently trying to smooth out the kinks but I am also working on another title making my time a little bit cramped.

ANYAtheGREAT<3 said...
I am so in love with the charactes in this book. This was one of the first books I've found on here that I actually liked. You deserve that Number 1 spot for sure. Finish it and you never know, you might just make it. Btw, Congrats on doing such a great job. I would love to read some of your other stuff too.  Check out my work. But seriously, I love it, Juss saying .

hrf1434This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 10:06 am:

I love this story, please write more

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm :
I definantly am. I am working on a couple chapters at the moment.

Writomania This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 8:26 am:

hey!

this is a very good piece of work.

But at some places where the name Mike should be, u've written Macy by mistake

and i think that the beer pong came thing which could've been well described, just lasts for like two seconds which ruins the winning effect.

Apart from a few grammatical errors, I'd say, WELL DONE!

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm :
Thanks for the tips and yeah, I've been working on better discripting things.

Scarlett_Masquerade said...
Omg! This is amazing! I would really love to read the rest of it.

PrincessSparkle said...
If you Like this book so much please check out my book 'Under the Summer Sky'. I think you guys will enjoy it.