The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Party Hard

We arrived at the party finally after driving up and down the road multiple times trying to get our act together.
As we walked up the front step of the house there were people hanging all over the porch. Nobody paid any attention to us. We got in the door and walked around and Shelly found some people she actually talked to in school there. They came over and immediately started chatting up a storm.
“Oh, my gosh.” One of the girls called at me, trying to be heard over the stereo blaring. “You’re in my advance physics class aren’t you?”
“Yea, Casey right?” I yelled back to her.
“Yea. I totally didn’t know you were into this kind of thing.” Casey yelled and leaned over sloshing some of the liquid in her cup onto the floor.
“I’m normally not.” I yelled back.
“Well, hey, lemme get you a beer.” She yelled as her words were being slurred.
"Alright, that would be cool." I said trying to fit in.
Casey took me over into the kitchen where there was a keg in the corner. She tapped it, grabbed
a cup, and filled it.
"Here you go. Just help yourself whenever you want." She finished then stumbled off into a crowd of people playing beer pong.
I went and found Shelly sitting on the couch next to a guy I remembered who played on the football team.
"What is that?" Shelly directed her attention to me.
"From what I understand, I think it's beer." I replied back with a smirk.
"Hey, do you think you can get me one?" She said while side glancing the football player.
"You know what? I think you can just have mine." I said as I handed over my full cup.
Shelly took the cup from my hand and started drinking away while turning her attention to
football guy.
I started getting irritated because Shelly and I had come to this party together and all she wanted to do was ignore me, or so I felt like. I decided to walk into the kitchen where I heard loud yelling noises.
"here drink this!" As a guy that I have never met before thrust a cup into me.
"Um, no thanks." I replied.
He just stood there looking at me for a second before moving on to another girl passing by behind me.
After side stepping a bunch of groups I made my way back to the living room where Shelly was nowhere to be seen. I sat down on the couch next to a couple making out.
"I think I saw your friend go upstairs with Jake." A guy said as he came out of large crowd by the stereo.
"Thanks. I guess I should go check on her huh?" I said tired.
All I wanted to do was go to a party for the first time and have a great time. I wanted to talk to people. But instead, I'm left on the back-burner with Shelly, trying to find her. You know, I’m always bailing her out. For once I’d like to be the bail-ey.
"I can go with you, if you want." The guy said.
"Thanks, but I think I can handle it." I replied back.
"Well, anyways, I'm Mike." He said with a half smile.
"Macy." I said as I walked away.
I climbed up the stairs and looked in the line for the bathroom, but sure enough, she wasn't there. The last thing I need is to lose her. So, I began opening up doors to rooms. The first one I opened there was a large group in there smoking out of a pipe. From what it smelled like, it wasn't tobacco. I closed that door and opened up another which was empty.
I decided to go in there to clear my head. All the smoke was starting to give me a headache. I sat down on the bed and looked around. It was a boys room. Judging by the trophy's I'm thinking this was Dylan's room. Dylan is our starting Quarterback. He's cute, smart, and talented. So, naturally he has girls pinning for him all the time.
Just then the door opened as Mike came in the room. He saw me sitting on the bed, and he sort of jumped.
"Oh shit. You just scared me. I didn't exactly expect anyone in here." He said taken aback.
"Too much smoke for me out there." I said with a smile playing on my lips.
"So, do you go to school with Dylan?" He said as he motioned around the room.
"I do." As I sighed, I said.
"And where are you from? I mean, you don't look familiar and most of the people here I've known since seventh grade." Macy asked.
Now that I wasn't so focused on finding Shelly I got to look at Mike a little better. He has these green eyes and his smile was one of those perfect white smiles where you just knew he had braces before.
All in all Mike is cute. No, scratch that, gorgeous. That was all I could think about when finally he talked and snapped me out of it.
"So, did you find your friend?" as he spoke he looked around as if the evidence was somewhere in here with us.
"Actually, I didn't. So, naturally, I gave up." This got a smile out of him and took my breath away. "I think I'm going to go and look for her now." I said as I quickly got up and side-stepped around him toward the door.
"Wait, I'll come with you." He said.
"It's alright. I think I'll manage." I smiled shyly at him.
I started out the door and down the stairs and went into the kitchen, and out of nowhere I see Shelly at the end of the table playing beer pong. She looked over at me and yelled.
"Macy! Come over here and do a celebrity shot."
The whole room now looked over at me waiting expectantly.
"I don't know." I said.
"Come on. Please?" She begged.
Suddenly, the whole crowd erupted yelling "Do it!" and "Come on!"
I gave up and walked toward her as she handed me a ping pong ball.
"I don't even know how to play." I told Shelly.
"Just toss the ball and make it into one of those cups." She said as she pointed on the opposite end of the table.
I aimed as best I could and tossed it and sank it in a cup. Loud cheering erupted all over the kitchen. My face flushed as I smiled.
Shelly then stumbled over and put her arm around my neck.
"Hey, how about we get back home?" I asked as everyone went back to watching the game and talking.
"I just really want to sleep." she replied.
"Alright, where are your keys? I'm going to drive."
She drug me over to the couch and slumped down onto it.
"I don't know. Are they in my pocket?" She looked up at me.
So I dug into her front pocket jeans and sure enough I pulled out her keys.
I put the keys into my pocket and picked her up and pulled her arm around me. As I went to walk out the door, Mike stopped me.
"Hey, you’re leaving already?" he looked down at me with those gorgeous green eyes.
"Yeah, I need to get her home before she passes out on the floor." I said as I laughed.
"Yeah, well it was nice meeting you." he said as he flashed his smile.
"You too." I said bashfully.
I walked out to Shelly's car and out her in the passenger seat. We drove home in silence and as I looked over I realized that she had fallen asleep. We pulled up in her driveway and I glanced down at the dashboard clock as it read 11:49 pm. I got Shelly out of the car and pulled her up the front steps to her house and carried her in her room. I laid her down on her bed and stole one of the cigarettes she had hidden in her underwear drawer.
Normally I don't smoke. I mean, I've taken a few puffs off Shelly's cigarettes but never cared for one much. Whenever I try to tell her to quit, she always tells me it relieves her stress. I climbed out her window and sat on the roof. I lit the cigarette and took a deep puff. It's not so bad I thought. After a couple minutes of smoking It I decided to stub it out. As I was flicking it off the roof, Shelly appeared climbing out of the window.
"Tonight was a good night. Wasn't it?" She asked.
"Yeah. You still drunk?" I replied.
"yeah." She said as we both laughed.
We both climbed back into the bedroom. I changed into some pajamas and climbed in next to Shelly who was already sleeping.
I just couldn't get my mind off of Mike. He was so cute. Not to mention really nice. Those were the last coherent thoughts I had until I fell asleep.

Pink<3 said...
Wow!This book is really good!You should finish it!I was up till 3 last night because it was so interestring!!!

CreativeWriter2015 said...
I loved this story, it was so interesting!! You should write more!!

Emoizwatwer said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm:
omg i could not stop reading this piece it was beautiful i can tell you would make an awesome writer it was an amazing story love it though you should make it longer

Daniii said...
May 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm:
This is a nice story! It has a good message, too. If you made this longer, I think it could definitely be published. Great job (:

ppl-hate-my-comments said...
Apr. 10, 2012 at 4:33 am:
I suppose it's an okay book. Maybe it's just not my type. I never had a soft spot for romance. But I think this could be improved a lot more by elaborating on several parts. Like some of the incidents Macy went through for an example. A bit about Stelly, perhaps? A bit more detail would make the plot a lot tighter too. And finally, talk more about the part where Macy found herself. Right an epilogue after she found herself, maybe? 

msoledadvc said...
Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:26 am:
Awesome! What you are trying to say is something we should consider when trying to feel confortable about ourselves doing things that actually do any good to us. I love the love part! You should try to get it published.

BluBirdWriter13 replied...
May 27, 2012 at 9:52 pm :
You like one direction too, they're so amazing.

nemish23 said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 2:05 am:
Amazing book! Loved every minute of it! Fix up the grammar errors and spelling mistakes and you're on the way to having a great story on your hands! Keep up the good work!

hrf1434This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:37 am:
This is book is awsome! I propose that you work on a re-pwrite and try to getit puplished

PrincessSparkleStar said...
I love this book! Reading it made me feel really excited :) please check out my poem!

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really, really loved the book, but there were a LOT of grammar issues. Other than that, it was excellent!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey said...
It was amazing!! It makes everyone truly beleive that they can find love and happiness just by being themself:) I recomend reading any book by Sarah Dessen she's my favorite author and i think ull enjoy her writing

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:27 pm :
Sarah Dessen is my FAVORITE author!!!

Dakota_Love_LeFey replied...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm :
i LOVE her books

IT_WILL_RAINThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm :
me too i love the hidden message in them that sometimes you have to figure out yourself

HapHapHappy said...
So romantice!!!!!:)

PurpleWriter said...
Sept. 20, 2011 at 6:19 am:
LOVE IT!!!! write a book 2!!

LovelyNotes said...
Sept. 5, 2011 at 11:48 am:
It's very interesting to read :D
Although, there's some grammar issues, and I think that if they were corrected, I would be even more interested. I'll be reading the whole book C: 

LazyDaisyTheWriter said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 9:45 am:
The last paragraph made me feel good inside, and I don't know why. Anyway..I'll be at the Boyfriend Shoppe getting a guy like Mike :D. Lol, I loved, loved, LOVED this!! You should add more and make it longer, and try to get it published!!! 

Brian21 said...
Makes you fell like you can do most anything now very inspirational