New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

A New Beginning

The day started out like any other. I woke up with the sun shining down over my head. As I stretched I rolled over on my belly to look out my window that overlooked the backyard. It was a beautiful day. Not a cloud in sight.
I got up and got dressed for the first day of summer. This is going to be the best summer of my life.
Shelly, my best friend, came over around 3 to pick me up so we could go to the mall and get new bathing suits. I got in her car as a song blaring full blast wound down to the end.
“So, tonight there is a party over at Dylan’s house” Shelly told me.
“Were we even invited?” I asked skeptical.
“Not technically, but do you think that anyone is ever invited?”
“Yea, I actually do. You know most people aren’t outcasts like us. They actually get invited to parties. It’s like a code or something.” I said as I looked over at her.
“Macy, If we don’t go to the first party of the summer people are going to peg us as losers for our senior year. Not that we aren’t already. Live a little, please?” Shelly begged from me.
“Fine, but if it gets uncomfortable, I’m leaving. No buts. Deal?” I said firmly.
“Alright. Deal.” She said as she turned up the radio and began singing along to some Carrie Underwood.
We got to the mall and Shelly and I began looking at cute skirts and wedges. We both bought a cute party outfit for tonight as well as some extremely cute bathing suits. My bathing suit has ruffles on the edges and is a soft pink color. Shelly’s bathing suit is platinum blue with green stripes down it.
As we got back to my house, Shelly told me she would be back to get me around 10 tonight. As much as I’d like to deny it, I was pretty excited. I mean, for once I would be able to socialize like a normal person.
Me and Shelly were not sent to social exile by fault. We chose to spend time studying for quizzes on the weekend when normal teens were out drinking. Which in fact pegged us as the academic nerds. Were not ugly. I mean, both of us have average weight . But not like those other girls who choose not to eat and become twigs. We’re normal.
I have really long brown hair accumulated after I went on this strike after my mom cut my hair in a bob in freshman year. As it turns out, it’s pretty wavy. Shelly is a natural blond that is cut at shoulder length. Her mom takes her to the Salon so she never had to go through the traumatic stages of puberty the way I did.
Shelly has always worn make-up but I don’t see the reason to put any on. I only wear make-up on special occasions or if I’m really trying to impress someone.
I’ve been asked out a few times but me and Shelly just tend to keep to our studies. “If you ever want to get into Brown you need to be prepared.” Shelly would always tell me after I would start complaining about prepping for the SAT s.
This summer though, after we finally realized that we are practically graduated we’d both decided that we would become more socially active. Or in Shelly’s case, Get drunk and for once not care about school or any of the other pressures that had been laid out for us.
Shelly arrived over my house around 10:30. I walked downstairs and past the living room where my mom and dad were watching a show on TV.
“Where are you going?” My mom turned from the TV screen and looked at me.
“Me and Shelly are going to go to the movies and then I’m going to stay the night at her house.” As I told her the first thing that had popped into my head.
“Why are you dressed like that? I don’t want you out traipsing downtown at the theater wearing clothes like that.” She scorned.
As she said that my dad then looked over at me.
“Mom please, I just thought for once I would care what my appearance looked like. It’s not a big deal.” I said.
After a few moments passed she finally said “Alright, but don’t forget your mace. You can never be too safe at night.” She said as she looked at me carefully, like she could see right through my lies. But when I thought she was going to send me back to my room to change, her and my dad both turned their attention back to the screen.
I slipped out the door and climbed in the front seat of Shelly's car.
“Gosh, I thought you were going to take forever.” She playfully laughed.
“Sorry, my mom decided that tonight she would pay attention to me or what I wore. I’m good now though. She just told me to bring my mace.” I said back.
“Nice, did she use the whole ‘You can never be too safe’ line on you?” She asked teasingly.
“Funny, but she actually did.” I laughed.

Itz_Bobbi18 said...
OMg! this has been the best novel i've read so far, i hope you keep writing more. I can't wait to see what the ending will be.

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 12:26 pm :
thank you so much. I hope the ending will have people satisfied.

PrincessSparkle said...
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have now had 1073 people read my book. it makes me happy to know that people out there want to read this! Thank you everyone!

PrincessSparkle said...
Thank you. Thank you so so much.

.The.Skys.Rainbow. said...
Jan. 12, 2011 at 12:32 am:
I really love this novel so far. I hope you'll finish it and make it much longer <3

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm :
I am trying to finish it but My computer crashed and im at the point where I just want break it completely. But that wouldn't be good because I need to show you guys what i have done so far.

AspiringauhorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love it, and to all the people who are saying it needs to be edited and revised further... Well, this website isn't about insulting people's work. It's about sharing your opinions with others. And that's exactly what she did.

hrf1434 said...
Love it! I expectingly love the ending but it seems unfinished

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm :
Yea, It isnt finished but I am definantly working on it. I already have a couple more chapters to add but Im going back and editing them first. I will put them up as soon as possible.

hrf1434 replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 10:08 am :

please do, KEEP WRITING

trblueThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
if you took the use of drugs far enough it would have had a ellen hopkins feel, but it was wrapped up in love. he himself was suround by bad people and did not want that to happen to her. i liked and did not know their was a novel section of ink.

sparkledreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

This is a really good novel.. you should add to it.. your writing reminds me of a mixture of sarah dessen and alyson noel... have u ever heard of them?

p.s. please read and comment on my writing

PrincessSparkle replied...
Dec. 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm :
Thank you so much for the comment. And yes Ive read their books hundreds of times. Ill read your stuff as soon as I can.

akram95 said...
Dec. 27, 2010 at 11:12 am:
Liked the book very much... keep it up

dancer4life said...

i think it just kind of ends

but other than that its not bad

The Writer said...
Where Im from we like to drink beer and chain smoke cigarettes. Where Im from we hang out at peoples houses and steal our parents wine. where Im from we hang around bonfires til early in the morning playing beer pong. Where Im from everyone knows everyone. Where Im from people smoke weed (I dont...personal choice), Where Im from we dip, chew, and spit. Where Im from, The boys who started a band play outside on neighbors porches at open houses while people are doing keg stands in the back. Not ev... (more »)

Lonleydandy said...

This is interesting.....I'm not sure I'm a fan of the abusive use of alcohol or drugs though...I mean, I get the message, but ...yeah....hahaha,

Grace_R said...
I guess I found the "Summary" a little misleading. You expect the plot to be about a girl and her new "friend" Ayden. However, that isn't it at all. Also, I guess I don't really get your portrayal of drinking and drugs- you make them seem like a good thing. I guess my advice would be to shape up your grammar and summary and also to show the world that alcohol and drugs really aren't good.

Little-Miss said...
I read the first chapter, and I think that this could be good. However, I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but it is more professional when you only enter your best, best work into magazines, or sites. Best as in when you've revised and edited it to a point where you are just so in love with it. The first chapter needs revision and editing (grammar and tense-switching) but you could make it better with some work. Good luck!

louielui517 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So, I think this story definitely has potential! The plotline is a bit cliche, but you include things that aren't has cliche. However, you do make some grammatical erros. You also change tenses a lot, which can be confusing. I understand that this is a rough draft, but make sure you continue to edit your work!