The Summer I Found Myself

By , Flint, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

A New Beginning

The day started out like any other. I woke up with the sun shining down over my head. As I stretched I rolled over on my belly to look out my window that overlooked the backyard. It was a beautiful day. Not a cloud in sight.
I got up and got dressed for the first day of summer. This is going to be the best summer of my life.
Shelly, my best friend, came over around 3 to pick me up so we could go to the mall and get new bathing suits. I got in her car as a song blaring full blast wound down to the end.
“So, tonight there is a party over at Dylan’s house” Shelly told me.
“Were we even invited?” I asked skeptical.
“Not technically, but do you think that anyone is ever invited?”
“Yea, I actually do. You know most people aren’t outcasts like us. They actually get invited to parties. It’s like a code or something.” I said as I looked over at her.
“Macy, If we don’t go to the first party of the summer people are going to peg us as losers for our senior year. Not that we aren’t already. Live a little, please?” Shelly begged from me.
“Fine, but if it gets uncomfortable, I’m leaving. No buts. Deal?” I said firmly.
“Alright. Deal.” She said as she turned up the radio and began singing along to some Carrie Underwood.
We got to the mall and Shelly and I began looking at cute skirts and wedges. We both bought a cute party outfit for tonight as well as some extremely cute bathing suits. My bathing suit has ruffles on the edges and is a soft pink color. Shelly’s bathing suit is platinum blue with green stripes down it.
As we got back to my house, Shelly told me she would be back to get me around 10 tonight. As much as I’d like to deny it, I was pretty excited. I mean, for once I would be able to socialize like a normal person.
Me and Shelly were not sent to social exile by fault. We chose to spend time studying for quizzes on the weekend when normal teens were out drinking. Which in fact pegged us as the academic nerds. Were not ugly. I mean, both of us have average weight . But not like those other girls who choose not to eat and become twigs. We’re normal.
I have really long brown hair accumulated after I went on this strike after my mom cut my hair in a bob in freshman year. As it turns out, it’s pretty wavy. Shelly is a natural blond that is cut at shoulder length. Her mom takes her to the Salon so she never had to go through the traumatic stages of puberty the way I did.
Shelly has always worn make-up but I don’t see the reason to put any on. I only wear make-up on special occasions or if I’m really trying to impress someone.
I’ve been asked out a few times but me and Shelly just tend to keep to our studies. “If you ever want to get into Brown you need to be prepared.” Shelly would always tell me after I would start complaining about prepping for the SAT s.
This summer though, after we finally realized that we are practically graduated we’d both decided that we would become more socially active. Or in Shelly’s case, Get drunk and for once not care about school or any of the other pressures that had been laid out for us.
Shelly arrived over my house around 10:30. I walked downstairs and past the living room where my mom and dad were watching a show on TV.
“Where are you going?” My mom turned from the TV screen and looked at me.
“Me and Shelly are going to go to the movies and then I’m going to stay the night at her house.” As I told her the first thing that had popped into my head.
“Why are you dressed like that? I don’t want you out traipsing downtown at the theater wearing clothes like that.” She scorned.
As she said that my dad then looked over at me.
“Mom please, I just thought for once I would care what my appearance looked like. It’s not a big deal.” I said.
After a few moments passed she finally said “Alright, but don’t forget your mace. You can never be too safe at night.” She said as she looked at me carefully, like she could see right through my lies. But when I thought she was going to send me back to my room to change, her and my dad both turned their attention back to the screen.
I slipped out the door and climbed in the front seat of Shelly's car.
“Gosh, I thought you were going to take forever.” She playfully laughed.
“Sorry, my mom decided that tonight she would pay attention to me or what I wore. I’m good now though. She just told me to bring my mace.” I said back.
“Nice, did she use the whole ‘You can never be too safe’ line on you?” She asked teasingly.
“Funny, but she actually did.” I laughed.

PurpleWriter said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm:
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:21 am :
Thank you. it means a lot.

AprilSunshine said...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm:
Oh my gosh... This story is amazing! I cried! Keep writing!

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:21 am :
I def am writing another book. The one I have going for me now thats uo on this site is Under the Summer Sky. I think everyone will enjoy it as much as they enjoyed this one.

ColorMeScarlet said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 7:28 pm:

I think your story is really nice, and I was drawn in with the summary. However, as soon as I started reading Chapter one, I had to stop. It was really choppy, turning me off to reading it completely.

But I think, if you lengthen your sentences, it would be even better.

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:23 am :
I agree about the choppy sentences but I think if you gave it a chance you will really enjoy it. I am writing another story where I am developing the charaters more thoroughly. Thanks for the tips.

PrincessSparkle said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:25 pm:
Oh yea and it's finished. lol.

PrincessSparkle said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm:
Yupp, I got lazy and decided to screw trying to make it perfect. It's the first book I ever wrote so w/e. Think what you may but My friends and family love it.

PerfectMGymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm:
i enjoyed reading this! once i stared reading the firsr chapter i was hooked and did not stop reading!! i hope to see more chapers from you soon! your an amazing writier!!! :)

PrincessSparkle replied...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm :
Yea, thanks. I kind of hit a rough patch while writing but Im also trying to finish it. Because of the amount of comments I got concerning the typo's and punc. mistakes I wanted to go back and edit before publishing it.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 7:36 pm:
You have a really great start here. It would be a lot easier to read if you edited it and worked on the grammar and flow; right now, it's a little choppy and the grammar problems sometimes detract from the story. Fix those things, and this story will go from good to awesome!

drmstarlet21 replied...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 10:46 am :
I agree that you should work on the flow and the errors. It being in one of the tops spots, I thought I would be hooked more than I am. I really like your story, I just feel like I am not getting into it. Once you smooth out the choppiness, I am sure I will become more engaged.

PrincessSparkle replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:25 am :
Thanks for the tips. I am currently trying to smooth out the kinks but I am also working on another title making my time a little bit cramped.

ANYAtheGREAT<3 said...
I am so in love with the charactes in this book. This was one of the first books I've found on here that I actually liked. You deserve that Number 1 spot for sure. Finish it and you never know, you might just make it. Btw, Congrats on doing such a great job. I would love to read some of your other stuff too.  Check out my work. But seriously, I love it, Juss saying .

hrf1434 said...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 10:06 am:

I love this story, please write more

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm :
I definantly am. I am working on a couple chapters at the moment.

WritomaniaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 8:26 am:

hey!

this is a very good piece of work.

But at some places where the name Mike should be, u've written Macy by mistake

and i think that the beer pong came thing which could've been well described, just lasts for like two seconds which ruins the winning effect.

Apart from a few grammatical errors, I'd say, WELL DONE!

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm :
Thanks for the tips and yeah, I've been working on better discripting things.

Scarlett_Masquerade said...
Omg! This is amazing! I would really love to read the rest of it.

PrincessSparkle said...
If you Like this book so much please check out my book 'Under the Summer Sky'. I think you guys will enjoy it.