Totally in Sync | Teen Ink

Totally in Sync

By Jayman68, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Jayman68, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Author's note:

I wrote this prior to being in high school, and revisited it when I got to high school and saw what it was like, editing some to make it more realistic.

Puck

Wednesday

What would it be like to date a girl like her? I wondered as Gracie Adams doodled in her notebook. Even though most of my friends were in relationships, my parents hadn't allowed me to date until I was sixteen, which wouldn't be until November. Frankly, I hadn't actually had a girlfriend however and in high school I didn't know what that meant. I just knew that it was “forbidden” and I happened to like her.

“Hey Puck,” my friend Mason caught me in my daze.

“What?” I rolled my eyes, mad that I had to look away.

“It's five minutes until the bell,”

“Really?” I said annoyed. “That's what you interrupted me for?”

He thinks when I glance at the spot where Gracie is, I'm reading the clock; honestly, I could care less about the time.

“Dude, how do you manage to not get called on the entire period?” Mason whispered behind me.

“I have psychic powers,”

“Can you use the Force?”

“No Mason, I'm not a Jedi,”

“Are you sure?” Mason raised an eyebrow.

“Yes Mason,” I sighed, looking back over to Gracie.

“You know, you should really ask your mom for a watch,”

RIIIIIIIING!

“And that's the bell,” I said, not having to explain why I don't want a watch.

Walking down the halls to gym class, I smiled at a poster  on the wall. There was homecoming next week, and everyone was going. This particular poster said: GO BELLVIEW BOBCATS! SHOW YOUR SCHOOL SPIRIT BY ATTENDING HOMECOMING! $8 TO ENTER, ADDITIONAL CONCESSIONS NOT INCLUDED.

Then at the bottom of the page was Gracie Adams signature. I checked the halls which were now empty because the bell had rang. I pulled my phone out and took a picture of it. Then I rushed to the guys locker room knowing I would be late. When I put my shorts on I noticed a mirror. After I put my shirt on I walked over to it and examined myself. One flaw in my perfected look was my hair. It was like I didn't even try. Which might have been the case. I tried getting my hair wet and smoothing it back a little. I reexamined myself and finally decided it wasn't going to work, I would be late anyway, and ran to the gym.

I clasped my hands over my ears as Coach T blew that obnoxious whistle of his that called all the boys together.

“I apologize, I realize that this isn’t the customary or “standard” way of class, but today we will be going over….” he pauses for emphasis, “Dancing.”

Moans of confusion, disappointment, and disbelief, made their way through the crowd of dumbfounded students.  

“Well, you know what, I don’t really care.  Dancing is for sissies so I’m gonna run,” Retorted Dyllan in the back of the huddle of boys. Dyllan had always been a troublemaker and a class clown, and he didn’t seem like changing anytime soon.  Carter, Dylan's closest friend, who was more of a sidekick than a friend, followed close behind as Dylan jogged away from the group. One frustrated boy after another split from the class to run laps around the gym. I stayed where I was.

“You're not gonna run?” Coach T asked.

“No coach, I like dancing,” I said then thinking that wasn't a good answer I added, “And my mom wants me to get better.”                                                                                                            

“Cool,” coach t said calmly, then, watching the boys run laps yelled “Boys! Get over here and dance or else you're going to the principal's office!”

They did. None of them wanted a talk with their parents about why they didn't want to dance.

“Puck, you get a hundred for today. The rest of the boys get a zero,” the coach stated. “Now, everybody stand up and listen.”

One of the boys looked at his watch, it was Carter. “Coach, we've got like five minutes left of class.”

“Fine, but you're still getting a zero, and it's a quiz grade,”

The boys glared at Carter.

“Don't look at me, look at the guy who got the only hundred!”

Suddenly all thirteen of the boys were focused on me. My mind was screaming: run! Get out of there before they make you into a piece of ground beef! I did. For once, I was glad Gracie wasn't looking in my direction.

Now I was back in the halls, trying to casually get behind Gracie. After enough people passed I saw her in the crowd. Just a glimpse of her was enough to get me through the day. (That sounded stalkerish and I mean that sentence in the most non stalkerish way) no more periods left. I thought. Now I can go home, lay in bed, and rant to my cat about how my day went.

I felt relieved as walked out the school doors. My mom is always the first one in the carpool line, which is good, in the sense that I get home faster. Bad in the sense that I don't get to say my silent goodbye to Gracie.

“How’s school?” My mom asks as I close the door to the not-as-new Toyota Avalon.

That's such a silly question that almost no teenager answers honestly. I thought about saying ‘Good mom, I have a crush on this girl and you're lucky I'm too shy to talk to her because otherwise I would already be dating her.’

Instead I say, “Good,”

“What was good about it?” My mom asked.

“Umm…I don't know, I guess gym class was fun,”

She smiles. I knew she would. She knows I don't like sports, and she thinks gym has just sports. Parents are so gullible.

My cat was enthusiastic that I was home. Usually, Leo would run up and rub his furriness all over anything that stuck to it. It was like he was saying: yeah I know you're gonna have to lint brush this, but you think I'm cute so you're not going to move that foot. This is one of those times. So I just stand there in the doorway, until Leo loses interest and walks off to the couch. Then I walk downstairs to my not-so-sweet-suite, drop my bag, and fall in my bed. Staring at the ceiling I notice a stain shaped like a hand, remembering the time I got a sticky toy from the gum ball machine and decided to throw it at the ceiling as hard as I could. I also remember forgetting about it months later when it finally fell off. I know I should be studying for the science quiz I have coming up, but I can't. Every time I try to read over the textbook, certain words remind me of Gracie. For example the atom would remind me of her last name and then I would get distracted from there. So I sat up, walked over to my computer and checked my emails. (At least I can get that done) scrolling through the emails I find myself bored. I have an email from Mason asking me how gym went, an email telling me not to forget to study for the science quiz, and an email about the dance. I open up Mason's email and hit reply. Then another email shows up, so I have to close out of the draft, and check what that says. I almost knock my desk over when I read who it's from. It says:

From:Gracieadams@gmail.com

To:Puckanderson@gmail.com

Subject: Partay!

Hi, I’m having a party Friday night and I was wondering if you wanted to go. I don’t know how many girls are coming, but we will watch football and play games. If you're in, just email me.

I email back in like 0.2 seconds.

From:Puckanderson@gmail.com

To:Gracieadams@gmail.com

Subject: Partay!

Yes I'm in and do you want my number so we can text if anything comes up? Here i’ll just give it to you now if you don't mind. It's 273-589-345.

I hit send. Then I wait. And wait. C’mon, she should've answered by now. Why isn't she answering? Maybe her mom called her, I reassured myself. My phone rings, and I don't know how I got there so fast but I'm there phone in my hand. It's not Gracie. It's Mason. I press ignore. Now I go upstairs to the kitchen and observe where my mom is. Currently she is reading the newspaper. Mom always does that. If she’s reading the paper, you can get stuff past her, but only if it's interesting.

“How's the paper?” I ask

“Good. Did you know there are toilets that are voice activated? Fascinating!” She says, not looking up from her paper.

“Cool,” I say in my most enthusiastic voice. “I was wondering if I could go to a party Friday night.”

“Sure, depending on whose it is,” My mom said.

I bit my lip, I hated lying, but had gotten used to it.

“It's Mason’s,” I said.

“Oh cool, is it like a birthday or something?”

“It's more like a Friday night football get together,” I knew this would make her more likely to say yes, because have I mentioned I didn't like sports? Maybe, once?

“Yeah, I’ll give his mom a call,” she said.

“Yeah, Mason said they were going to a concert later, so they might not pick up,” I lied, again.

“Oh, well, I better do it now then,” my mom said folding her paper and getting up.

My phone rang. It was Gracie. I didn't want to ignore it.

“Is that Mason?” My mom asked.

I had to lie. I was trapped. A tug of war between two girls I loved. And I had to choose which way to lean.

“Yeah, I’ll tell him you want to talk to his mom,” I said, then going back downstairs I picked up on the last ring.

“Hey,” I said, trying to be calm.

“Hey, Puck, just wanted to let you know the party will be from six thirty to eight thirty for people that aren't sleeping over, and six thirty to seven thirty in the morning for people who are,” Gracie said over the phone. “Also bring CD’s of your favorite songs, if you could print the lyrics that would be great.”

“Yeah, sure, I can bring my football too, in case we play football,” I said, knowing I don’t own a football.

Now I was booming with excitement. I was going to a party, that my mom only half knew about. Gracie had invited me. Me. Out of all the hot guys in our grade. Now all I had to do was figure out a way to get there and buy a football.

Chapter two

Puck

Thursday

I got out of bed at six-fifteen A.M. My alarm wasn't working, so my cat filled in, licking me with that rough-as-sandpaper tongue. It tickled so much I laughed. Then he jumped off the bed.

“Okay, okay, I'm awake,” I said, throwing off the covers and going to pick up Leo.

Leo mewed in protest. Translation: You can't do that! Put me down! Please? I won't pee on the couch anymore I promise!

So much to say with one little sound. He looks so adorable when he's in distress.

“Puck! Pancakes are on the table!” My mom yelled from upstairs.

“Alright!” I smiled as I put Leo down and grabbed my jack sparrow themed housecoat. “You hear that, Leo? Pancakes!”

Mew.

“I might let you have some of my milk,” I say to Leo. He meows in response, and follows me as I head downstairs.

My mouth waters as I see the stack of pancakes on the table, awaiting my arrival. As I sit down I breathe in its scent. Smells like syrup with a hint of homemade batter, none of those swanky preservatives. They're so good, I almost forget about last night. Almost, but not quite. As I'm eating I roll back the memories in my head, like the best movie ever. Her voice, the email, the phone call, I can just imagine the look on her face. A smile, slightly bent, quirky, yet graceful. I don't even realize I'm done because I just sit there, daydreaming. My mom snaps me out of it, telling me I should get ready for school. I scoot my chair back and start to walk towards the stairs.

“Where are you going?” my mom asked.

“Downstairs. To my room.” I said.

“Not until you push in this chair and put the dishes away,” she said.

“Okay,” I said, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

“Good job.”

“What?”

“I was just testing you, you can go get dressed,” she saw me start to do my unannounced chores. “I’ll take care of it.”

I was so confused, but at least I got out of doing chores.

Now I was running down the stairs to my room, trying to figure out what I’d wear today. After flipping through all the shirts I owned, I decided on my tacocat shirt that I had gotten at GameStop. Then I pulled out a pair of green shorts and neon green socks to complete the not so stylish outfit. I don't know why it bothered me, and I didn't know why I cared about how I looked. Besides the fact that I knew when to shave, I hadn't thought about it that much. I guess girls can change the way you see things, even yourself.

I must've changed my outfit five times after that. I would choose an outfit I wanted to wear, figure out what color worked best, and tried it on. At one point I told myself I was ready. I had a green collared shirt and khaki pants. Then I grabbed my backpack and lugged it upstairs, where my lunchbox is there to greet me.

I get to school early because I told my mom there’s a tutoring available each morning from seven forty-five to eight fifteen. There is, but I don't go. Instead I go to the library to get on the computers. Usually I go to coolmath.com, but today I go to Amazon.com to order a football. It’s 10 dollars, but I buy it anyway. Can't put a price on love, right? Now I don't send it to my house, no way. Instead I send it to Mason's.

Which brings me to part two of my spectacular plan. For this, I need my phone, and the wifi password. The school doesn't let the students know the password, so the students figure it out on their own. Some students just guess random passwords until it works, (it hasn't worked so far,) others just google it. I did the latter. So far it wasn't coffeelovers<3 or teachrzrok23 or n0studentsall0wed. Then I went with my gut. It had to be a pet’s name. Maybe the principal’s? Did he have a pet? He might have mentioned a dog, but I don't remember the name. (Probably cause I was too busy staring at Gracie all the time.) maybe it was Marley? I type that in. It doesn't accept. Maybe it needs to be all caps, I thought. I try that. It loads. And loads. Until finally, I get the two bars of signal. Then I text Mason.

Me:hey, if you happen to get a package in the afternoon, keep it until I come over.

Mason: Y? Wht kind of package is it?

Me: just a football

Mason: What? Is it my birthday?

Me: no. It's not yours, I just didn't want to send it to my house.

Mason: can I open it when it gets here?

Me: no

Mason: Y did you order a football? I know you don't like sports?

Me: I’ll explain when I get there.

Then I know the conversation’s over because he doesn't respond for five minutes. He told me he wouldn't be going to school because he was “sick” and  “didn't want it to spread.” Yeah right. He just didn't want to do the science quiz, so he took a day off.

At some point, the bell rings, indicating I have five minutes to get to class. First period. English. Start the day off literal. That's what my teacher, Mr.Schott says every day. Literally. Every. Day. As I take the two minute hike to his class, I’m trying to get a glimpse of Gracie, even if it’s the back of her Caramel blonde hair. I don't find her. She must already be in her class, I thought. Mr.schott smiles as I take my seat two seconds before the bell rings.

“Lucky you're in that seat, otherwise I’d have to count you tardy!” Mr.Schott still smiling.

“Sorry,” I muttered, but it's muffled by the announcements.

Once they get done telling us about homecoming, the class starts talking again. Mr.Schott says that stupid phrase again. One of these days I’m going to smack that smile off of him. I know it’s fake. I just know it.

Second period I have math, which I excel at. Im also glad that Mason isn't there to ask why I'm actually paying attention. Math is the one period I have that I actively participate in. Gracie sits two seats to my left, hiding her phone in between the math textbook. She smiles. Probably checking instagram, I thought. Today we were going over square roots, and anyone who got to the square root of a crazy large number got no homework for the rest of the month. And we weren't allowed to use calculators. Bonus if we did it in our heads. It was sort of like a quiz, but not for a grade. After the whole class period my paper was riddled with math problems. They were so randomly strewn about that only I could follow it. At some point I raised my hand, not knowing if my answer was correct, and that I wasn't going to figure out why it was wrong if it was.

“The square root of two thousand three-hundred sixty,” I paused for suspense. “Is it forty-eight and five hundred seventy-nine million, eight hundred thirty-one thousand, two hundred six billionths?”

Everyone stares at me. Probably thinking, who is this guy? Did he get it right?

Dead silence.

The teacher, Mrs.Triny, types it into the computer, which is being projected.

And there it is. The number that I recited with perfect precision.

“Puck Anderson, congratulations,” the teacher smiled. “You have no homework for the rest of the month,”

I smile. More time to text Gracie, I thought.

If you ever get her number, my conscience adds.

I look at her then. She looks at me and smiles.

“Good job,” she says. “I wasn't even paying attention and I know that's a lot of math.”

“Thanks,” I say. Then the bell rings, and I’m out of my seat and out the door.

Lunch is third period, which is very early, but it's always early. I buy my lunch, and today I'm glad to have a five on hand. They're selling tuna casserole and chocolate pudding for dessert. My total is four dollars. I mutter a thanks before walking to my seat. By the time I get there, people are greeting me with comments like ‘math geek’ and ‘smartest man alive’. I don't mind it, the attention. It makes me feel like I'm not justs some guy that you ‘know’ but never met.

“So, how did you solve that math problem?” James asks.

“I guess I'm smarter than you thought,”

“So you didn't have a calculator hidden somewhere?”

“No, unlike some people, I did it with my own brain,” I was talking about the time James had copied off of me on a test. That didn't go too well. James had gotten a zero and a call home that day.

“Whatever,” James shrugged.

The table is silent for the rest of lunch.

By third period, I was stressing for the science test, which was now a period away. I actually tried to study instead of daydreaming about Gracie. That failed. Miserably. I was thinking on what else to bring to the party. Cupcakes is the sensible answer. My conscience told me. I can't think of anything else, so I go with that option. Then I’m snapped out of my thoughts as James whispers,

“Hey Puck, you doing anything friday night?”

“Actually, yes,”

“Well?” James said, waiting.

“It's a party,”

“Who’s party?”

I started to speak but the teacher cut me off.

“Mr. Anderson, would you like to tell the class what’s so important?” Mr. Thomson asked.

“Um, no.” I said.

“Well then, you just got yourself a detention.”

James smirked and turned his attention to Mr. Thomson.

Thanks for nothing, I thought.

I looked at the clock, it took me five minutes to realize we had one minute left of class. The noise of everybody. Packing up their things was also a reminder. The teachers always told us not to pack up. (“We still have thirty seconds of class”) most of us ignored them.

Now the dreaded period of the day; science. I walked in to see Ms. Hoffman, our youngest teacher in the ninth grade. All the guys tried to guess her age. Occasionally, they would place bets on what her age was. Few people knew, and they wouldn't tell.

“Good afternoon class,” she said.

Half heartedly, the class groaned in response.

“Well, I guess we’re all excited today,” she said sarcastically.

I didn't mind her being so young. She was the most up to date on the latest pop-culture, celebrities, slang, and all the perks that come with being born in the great twenty-first century. Someone's not going to agree with that statement, who cares, we have freedom of speech.

“I have a question,” Dylan asked.

“I’m sure you do,” Ms.Hoffman said.

Grinning, Dylan said, “Do you like hamburgers or hot dogs better?”

A bunch of boys snickered around the room. The girls squirmed uncomfortably, knowing either answer was a trap.

“Um, I don't know, probably hot dogs I guess,” she shrugged. “Why?””

“Oh, um you see,” he paused, trying his best not to laugh. “I'm having a barbecue on Friday, and I was wondering if you wanted to come,”

“Sure, that would be fun,” she smiled. “Then I can get to know your parents,”

Now it was Dylan’s turn to squirm. “Yeah, I’ll email you,”

All the boys had known it was a lie, Ms.Hoffman probably did too, but it was interesting to see the lie play out.

“Okay, now that Dylan got that out of the way, we can all do the science quiz,” she said. The class groaned,  despite Dylan's ill mannered attempt to ask the teacher out. (Someone had dared him to, saying they would give him money. They should just tell him to write gullible on his forehead.)

As the quiz was being passed out, I could only imagine what his parents would say. Something like: what? You invited a teacher to our house? And you expect us to just accommodate this? Then I got the test, and my mind was blank. To be honest, this was easy stuff, I just didn't study the names of things. I remembered atom, only because it’s similar to Gracie’s last name, but that's about as far as I got. So I just went with my gut, and I hoped the answers I randomly selected were the right ones. Then Mrs. Hoffman announced we had five minutes left of class, and those who were halfway through testing could stay after class to finish. I didn't want to be that guy. So I handed in my test after hastily choosing answers, ignoring my gut feeling to choose A instead of B. I just hoped I didn't get a sixty, or worse; a fifty.

In history, I had a challenge. The challenge was to see how many times I glanced at Gracie, I was already at five, on second thought, make that six. The boring history teacher, Mr. Seacroft, was giving a weird lecture about how the Confederates should've won. Let old history teachers waste time, it's what they're good at. While he was doing that, I played Scrabble on my phone. We were allowed to to “take notes” on our phones, but nobody listens. He checks our notes to see if we wrote anything too. This is avoided by text. Everyone chooses a section of the lecture to take notes on, and then they do a giant group text with the class. It's actually pretty cool how we all established it. It's what Lincoln, the 26th president would've done. Then I get an invite to a scrabble game. The user is Gracieisgracefull879. For a minute I think someone is messing with me. That has to be Gracie, I think. I look up at her, trying to read her phone, and I'm surprised when I make eye contact. She smiles and points to her phone. It is her! I think. I accept the invitation. She goes first. She puts down RITE as her first word. It's 8 points. I put LOT as mine. I get five points.  This goes on for about five minutes before she texts me saying it’s her turn to take notes. I text back,

Me: i’ll do your share of notes

Gracie: okay, I didn't know you like history.

I start typing a response, but decide to leave it as is. Then I close Scrabble, and start typing into the group text.

Then, my last period of the day, gym. Today was fitness day, when we did everything that had to do with endurance, strength, and some other words I didn't care about because Gracie was there, and I was thinking. What kind of cupcakes should I get? Should they be homemade? I think. I could get chocolate and vanilla, that way people could choose. And store bought has better icing. Then my thoughts were interrupted by the loud voice that belonged to coach Terrence.

“Okay everybody partner up!” He yelled.

I looked around the room, searching for a partner. Usually I would be with Mason, but he wasn't here. So, I just stood there, waiting for someone to say ‘hi you want to be my partner?’ I didn't expect it to happen right after I had that thought.

“Hey Puck, do you mind if I’m with you today? Lexie had a dentist appointment,” Gracie smiled.

“Sure,” I shrugged casually, or tried to. “Nice job on Scrabble, I would've never guessed you spelling unnaturally.”

“I guess I just have a giant vocabulary,” she twirled her hair. “And I couldn't have guessed that you were a math genius.”

“Listen up kiddos,” Coach T said. “There are papers stationed around the gym, you will have two minutes at each station. Your job is to not give up. That is all. Now go!”

Very inspiring words from a very loud man. I observed. Then I repeated the thought to Gracie, who laughed and smiled warmly, then began to do jumping jacks, the activity at our station.

Today, walking out of the school doors, I almost wished my mom wasn't early. Gracie was staying after school for cheer practice and volleyball. And practice started at three thirty, which meant she had nothing to do for thirty minutes.

“How was school?”

“Okay,” I reply. For once an honest answer. “In gym I did fitness, which I didn't like.”

“Oh, well, gym can't always be fun can it?” My mom said. “What else was fun?”

“I think I got a good grade on my science test,”

“Oh good for you!” She says in her happy mom voice.

“Hey mom?”

“Yeah?”

“Can we go to the store and get cupcakes for Mason’s party?”

Please say yes, please, I think.

“Sure,” she smiles. “When do you need them by?”

“The party’s tomorrow night, so maybe tonight or tomorrow morning?”

“Sounds good. What type of cupcakes?”

A thought pops in my mind.

“How about GiGis?”

“Sure how many do you need?” She asks.

Puck is gay

“Um, maybe thirty?” I say.

“Thirty?! That's a lot of cupcakes!” She said. “And a lot of money.”

I got out my calculator and did the math.

“How about you get three GiGi’s cupcakes for me to take to school tomorrow, and we just get the store bought kind?”

“Sure, but you have to pay for gas,”

This was my mom’s way of introducing me into the ‘real world’

“Okay,” I said.

By the time the conversation was over, we arrived at our house, and it was already three twenty-five. Gracie would be heading to practice, and I didn't want to be that guy that texted obsessively. I shoved the thought aside. My cat, Leo was meowing furiously as I came in. Translation: Where have you been? Do you know there are birds outside? BIRDS! And you just leave me here in this cage?! You’re animals!

“Oh Leo, stop complaining. You want some tuna?” I said, grabbing the can from its spot in the fridge. He meowed again. Translation: tuna? Tuunaa. TUNA! I LOVE TUNA! Sorry about that last remark I made, the house isn't a cage, it's a Litter box!!!!

The cat runs to the stairs, waiting for me to follow. I walk towards him, book bag in hand, and run down stairs. Today, I read, and when I got bored of reading, I watched tv. Then I play video games when I got bored of tv. Then I get bored of video games (gasp) and text Mason.

Me: sup?

Mason: nothin much.

Me: you still sick?

Mason: no man, just got cured after 3:00pm.

Me: did u get a package?

Mason: sure did, y’d you need a football anyway?

Me:it’s complicated, can I come over?

Mason: sure, i’ll make some excuse to have u over, care to help me out?

Me: um, you could just say the medicine helped.

Mason: but then i’ll have to go to the school to pick up homework.

Me: tell them i’m bringing the homework.

Mason: nice, you're really good at this aren't you?

Me: yep, see u in a bit.

Then I slid the phone in my pocket and went upstairs, devising a plan on what to say.

“Hi mom,” I say.

“What is it?” She sighs.

“Well, I just wanted to know if I could go to Mason’s house to drop off the schoolwork he missed,”

“Sure, be back no later than seven thirty,”

“I will,” and the truth is I would, but I wouldn't stay at Mason’s the whole time.

I arrived at Mason’s at four-forty five pm. He greeted me at the door, holding a box with the amazon seal.

“So, why don't we go upstairs to go over homework?” Mason winked.

I smiled, “yeah, you got a lot to catch up on,”

Upstairs, in Mason’s room we turned the tv on and started playing COD: Ghosts. Usually we would do team deathmatch and make only one person on the enemy team. This way we would have to fight for field orders. I'm pretty good on the run, and Mason’s a good sniper. But, either way, we got our share of field orders.

“Prepare to be smoked!” I say as I throw a smoke grenade at the nearest player.

“Hey, no fair, I can't snipe because you threw that!” Mason whined.

“I know,” I chuckled, knifing the guy and taking the bright blue box that hovered below.

I had to get two headshots. I was good at that.

After ten rounds of playing COD on Mason’s Xbox One, I looked at my watch. It was already six fifteen. I had somewhere else to go after this, and it wasn't home.

“Hey dude, this was fun, but I'm gonna head out,”

“Okay, your loss, you could stay, and try to beat me in a one on one, but you're too scared I’ll win,” Mason shrugged.

“Oh yeah, that's why I’m leaving,” I roll my eyes. “I have to go home now, dumbo.”

“Oh, okay, see you Friday then,”

“See you Friday,” I say, then I go down the stairs and out the door before Mason can say anything else.

Riding my bike, I maneuver my hand to the center of the handlebars and pull out my phone. I hope I don’t drop it, because that phone is my life, and losing it would be like losing a piece of me. Pressing the home button, I activated Siri and told her to call Gracie.

“Hello?” Gracie said.

“Hello, um, it's Puck from school,” I said, my conscience scorned me. She knows who you are! Just ask her out already! “ I was wondering if I could drop off the football at your house today? It’s just easier to carry the cupcakes that way.”

“Okay, do you need my address?” She asked.

“Yeah, that would be great,” I said, even though I already knew where she lived.

She recited it with perfect precision. Now, I won't tell you how I knew her address. All I can tell you is I’ve biked to her house on the way to the target. And I go to target often. Whatever you have to tell yourself. You're still a stalker. My conscience rolls in my head. Like you never did anything immoral. I think to myself.

As I coast into her subdivision, I try to fight back my nervousness. It’s six thirty now, and I know I only have thirty minutes to stay and talk. I’m at the intersection where I turn left and meet a Cul-de-sac with a row of houses. From there I ride into the driveway of a two story yellow house. There’s a tabby cat sitting on the front steps. I stop my bike, put up the kickstand, and walked to the door. A few seconds after I rang the doorbell, Gracie came down in a t-shirt and skinny jeans.

“So, what brings you here?” She asked.

“I came to drop this off,” I say, casually handing her the football.

“Cool, and you're just in time,” she smiled. “I’m about to make a Target run.”

“Okay,” I shrug.

“Can you wait here while I go get my shoes?”

“Yeah, of course,” I reply.

While she’s upstairs, I scan the room, seeing photos of when Gracie was a baby, man she even looked cute then! I thought.

“All set?” Gracie asked, a backpack on her shoulders, and a smile on her face.

“Ready when you are,” I couldn't believing I was actually doing this.

Then, we walked to Target.

“So, what do you think is more fun, skydiving or rock climbing?” Gracie asked.

“Um, probably skydiving,”

“Me too,” she says.

“You were a pretty cute baby,” I say.

She’s startled, but then she smiles, “I’m not still?”

“No, you are, I mean, you’re not a baby anymore is what I meant to say,”

Then Gracie laughs. “Chill, I'm just playing with you!”

We walk in the neighborhood and we see an ice cream truck.

She looks at it and smiles. “How about I buy you an ice cream?”

“No, I couldn't,” I say, then I add, “But i’ll buy you one.”

“How generous,” she says. “I accept.”

I fish my pockets for money, surely I have a five in there somewhere, I think. I find it, as well as two singles. The ice cream truck stops after being flagged down, we scan the menu of vast varieties of ice cream. She tells me what she wants and I count up the money.

“I’ll have a triple mint twist,” I say handing the guy a two singles and a five. “And she wants the double chocolate fudge.”

“Okay, that’ll be eight dollars please,”

Gracie giggled, and my face reddened for more than one reason.

“Listen, sir, with all due respect,” I say, then I lean closer to the man. “I’m trying to make a good impression, if you know what I mean.”

“Oh I know perfectly well,” he says, and takes the seven and hands us two ice creams. “Mighty fine young lady,”

Now it’s Gracie’s turn to blush.

“If you two need a place to go, there’s a small fancy Italian restaurant down the road,” he says. “It’s a little pricey, but it's the best food in town.”

“Oh, we’re not--we’re just friends,” Gracie began, but the guy glanced between the two of us. “Whatever, I rest my case, you two would be a good couple.”

Then he turned on the music and drove deeper into the neighborhood.

Chapter three

Gracie

Thursday

As I ate my ice cream, I thought about what the guy had said. Then I looked over to Puck, who was more interested in his ice cream than me. Usually I would be so overwhelmed by how much guys would do anything to just sit with me.

“How’s your ice cream?” I asked, trying to make conversation.

“It's okay, for an ice cream truck,” Puck muttered, taking another bite of ice cream.

C’mon, talk to me please! I thought, wait, why am I trying so hard? I don't even like him!

Then I stopped.

Oh my gosh, I like Puck Anderson.

“What's wrong?” Puck asked, unaware of my revelation.

“Oh, nothing,” I said. Except for the fact that I maybe-kinda-sorta like you, there’s that small detail.

“Okay,” Puck shrugged. “Oh, I'm terribly sorry, but I gotta go.”

Go where? I wondered. “That’s okay, you can text me what you want,”

“Yeah, that would be great,”

“Ttyl!” I yelled as he jogged out of sight. If those were your last words, no one would remember you. Then as I looked at where the blurry shape of Puck heading in the wrong direction, away from his bike, and my house, I was confused. Surely no one’s in such a hurry that they forget their bike. Unless they’re like, sixty years old, I thought. Maybe I should follow him to see where he’s headed,

I used to do cross country, but that was like, in the fifth grade, and I wasn't even that fast, to be honest. It was sort of romantic, actually. Me, trying to figure out where he was going after he mysteriously disappears. It was nice. Sophisticated, rather than arrogant. He was genuine, caring, and sweet. None of the fake stuff most of the boys have. But seriously, where was he going? I've never seen anybody run that fast, not even Jackson, our fastest player on the cross country team. By the time he turned into a subdivision, I was out of breath. To my relief, he was too, and was lying on the grass. As far as I could tell, he couldn't see me. Then he got up again,  and I quickly hid behind an evergreen until he once again started running. He was going slower now, so I ran a little more until he was about fifteen feet away. Then he walked up a hill that revealed a house. It was a pale green color and was a two story house that was greatly decorated with Halloween merchandise. This must be his house, I say. I look at the street name and then the house number. I quickly type it into my phone. Then, I run down the hill and start for my subdivision.

“Where have you been?” My mom asks me as I close the front door.

“Mom, you’re home? I thought you were at yoga class today,”

“The instructor pulled a tendon, so it was canceled,” she paused. “And don't try to change the subject, where were you?”

“I was jogging,” I shrug,

“Well, you have to tell me if you go somewhere,”

“Okay,”

“There is a consequence,” my mom said. “Since you went out without permission, you have two options. You can lose your phone for a week, or you can't have the party tomorrow”

That seems weird, she know’s I'm going to have the party no matter what. Which means she wants my phone, but why? I evaluated both choices.

“Fine,” I sigh, “I’ll lose my phone for a week.” How am I going to go a week without my phone? It's like, a part of my soul. I think. Then again, cavemen didn't have cell phones.

“Now come eat your dinner,” my mom smirked. “Which you missed by the way.”

I walked over to the table where my plate is waiting for me.

That night, as I lay in bed, I think about the party. I only invited a few people, and the more I thought about it, the more excited I got. At some point my mind is buzzing with topics and hurried ideas of what to do. When I finally do fall asleep, it's ten o'clock and I have a smile on my face.

Friday

The faint but methodical ringing of my alarm goes off at five thirty A.M. I ignore it, not wanting to turn it off, because that involved energy. Energy I didn't have. Energy I needed tonight, for Puck at least. Get off your bed. Just think of how nice that hot shower will be. That was my conscience, by the way. Fine, I snap, but only because of the shower. I lift my arm and try to turn off the alarm, but I only manage to push it off my nightstand. I sigh in frustration. Yeah, now you really need to get up. I ignore my conscience for another minute, then I throw back the covers, pick up the clock, and walk to the bathroom. Its finally Friday. I think, smiling and wiping the dreariness from my eyes. Probably should’ve gotten eight hours of sleep.

After a twenty minute shower, breakfast, packing lunch, getting dressed, doing my hair, and putting on makeup, it was already six fifty-seven.

“Gracie! C’mon, you're gonna be late!” My mom yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

“Okay mom! I’ll be there in a minute!” I said, quickly spraying perfume and putting the finishing touches on my makeup.

Stop obsessing over yourself, you’ll be fine. My conscience assured me. Yeah right, I think. I take the lipstick and makeup bag, just in case. Then I notice my phone on the counter.

“You can have it back,” my mom shrugged. “I just wanted to check your call history, an unknown number showed up.” She says it like it’s the most natural thing in the world. I hastily take it though, and shove it into my back pocket of my jeans.

As I get into the car, I wonder what Puck does in the morning. He always looks so presentable, as if he’s going somewhere. Like he’s trying to look nice for a certain person. Me. I realized. As I approach the school drop off, I see his old white Toyota Avalon stop. He gets out, wearing a collared shirt and slacks. I was so busy studying him that I couldn't hear my mom yelling at me to get out. I grab my bag and head out the car door before my mom can notice who I'm looking at.

As I walk the halls to art class, I'm surprised at how fast the school year goes. It's already second quarter. Homecoming is next week. I thought. Art is one of my favorite classes, and one I readily pay attention to, instead of playing on my phone, or zoning off into space.

“Hello class! It's a wonderful Friday don't you think?” Mrs. Granger asked us.

Almost everyone yelled ‘yeah’ back.

“Oh no that’s today?” Lexie, my best friend since third grade sighed. She was pointing to an email on her phone. “Volleyball tryouts are this evening.”

“Tell me about it,” I say. “But hey, at least you get to go to my awesome party tonight.”

Lexie smiles, then gets called on to pass out graph paper.

“Today, we will practice shading, and how you can use it,” Mrs. Granger said. “Your assignment, is to draw a rose, with different levels of graphite.”

After I get my paper, I immediately start working. It takes me the rest of class to get it right, and when the bell rings, I'm unprepared for it. One class down, and six hours left of Friday before the party at seven.

It’s kind of funny, how I have my favorite class, followed by my least favorite: math. Probably because you’re failing because you don't pay attention because you’re on your phone. My conscience points out. Well when you put it that way. I think to myself. Speaking of phones, I smile as I dig through the pocket of my Aeropostale hoodie. I need to check snapchat anyway. I also grab a textbook and slide my iPhone 6s in-between the pages. I'm only half alert, occasionally glancing away from my phone to see if the teacher notices, or if she calls on me. My phone dies as I'm trying to read Dylan's latest post. Great. Now I actually have to listen in to math. Puck was spitting out numbers faster than I could process. Puck must’ve noticed my look of confusion, and stopped speaking for a minute, as if thinking about his answer.

“So, the answer is,” Puck paused and looked at me before speaking again. “Negative fifty-five and six tenths.”

There was a murmur around the classroom. Something had happened. What is it? What did I miss? I couldn't stand being left out.

James raised his hand triumphantly and said “I object!”

Why is James answering? Puck already answered the question. I thought as James started to answer.

“Puck’s answer is wrong,” James smirked, finally beating his friend’s superior intellect. “The correct answer is negative fifty-eight and nine hundredths.”

“Well, Mr.Dolenski, I believe you're right,” Mrs.trinny said.

What? I was stunned. Puck never misses a question. Ever.

I look at him then, and he’s smiling. Why would he be smiling? My mind was racing. He was so mysterious. Just when you think you have him figured out, my conscience chided.

Chapter four

Puck

Friday

I had missed the question on purpose. I’ll have to admit, that was a clever idea. It was one of my attempts to “win a girl with my charm” as some people say. Sure, I lost the reputation of the smartest kid in school, but that didn't matter much anyway. Besides, no one is perfect. Gracie's voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

“How can a guy like you miss a problem?” She asked.

“It was bound to happen sometime,” I replied.

“No, I think, you missed it to see if I would correct you,” she said, flipping her blonde hair back.

Yes! I thought, but didn't say anything. I wanted to see where she went with this. I never found out, because the third period bell rang, indicating it was lunch time.

As I sat down, all I could hear was the buzz of math class, and James bragging about how he corrected me. He over exaggerated so much, at one point I said

“That’s not how it happened James,”

“Oh really?” he said. “I think you’re just jealous that someone finally bested your smartness.”

“Yeah, whatever,” I mumble

“Anyway, me and the smartest people are going to a party, and it’s only for smart people,”

“The correct grammar is the smartest people and I,” I smile. “Who's feeling smart now?”

The group usually keeps quiet when our conversations get heated, today was one of those days. Now that I think about it, most of our conversations are arguments. Mason and I didn't have the same lunch,  so I would just read a book. As luck would have it, I didn't have a book. So I just sat there, feeling excluded from my group that I’ve known since third grade.

Technology is boring, and I don't know why I chose it as an elective. Most of the time we don't even do projects. We just sit around and listen to lectures until the bell rings. That’s exactly what I do, and so does everyone else.

Now in the halls, I catch a glimpse of Gracie’s hair, her long strands of hair flies behind her as she walks. Her high tops echo throughout the halls as he takes each step. Someday, I'll be walking beside her, I sigh, readjust my binder strap, and walk to the door to science, the door Gracie went in only moments before. She smiles as I enter, and I try to act casual. We’re friends right? Girls are a mystery, and whoever figures out the mind of a teenage girl, congratulations. If I had a million bucks, I would give it to that person. (After buying a small mansion and a Bugatti of course.)

Ms.Hoffman walked in carrying a bag of candy, and everyone was immediately alert.

“Good afternoon Ms.Hoffman!” Dylan smiled. “Did you like the hot dogs?”

“Best I've ever had,” she replied.

A few boys snickered.

“What? What’s so funny?”

Wait, she didn't know?

A bunch of girls stared at Dylan menacingly.

Dylan took the hint, and dropped the subject.

“What’s the candy for?” Carter asked.

“I’m glad you asked, Mr. Beals,” Ms.Hoffman smiled, “Today we will celebrate our success by playing the survival game!”

There was a look of confusion around the classroom. Was she for real? Did she really think this was actually going to work? She divided us into teams of three, and to my luck, Gracie was in my group.

“So, do either of you watch Survivor?” Gracie asks.

I shake my head no, and Lexie, Gracie’s friend, says “Yeah, but I stopped after a while,”

“Okay,” Gracie sighs, and thinks a moment. “Any other survival shows?”

I play Minecraft, does that count? I think.

“I watch Lost,” Lexie volunteered.

“That's good,” Gracie says, then looks to me. “What about you?”

“Um, I watch Walking Dead,” I say, but it barely comes out.

“Well that’s helpful,” Lexie crossed her arms, “If there was a zombie apocalypse.”

“Lexie, chill out, it's just a game. No need to get so worked up,” Gracie, rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, sure, whatever,” she said.

We ended up getting third place, but we still got one piece of candy, (she didn't want to stump our morale,)

“I’ll see you tonight?” Lexie said to Gracie. “Yeah, totally,”

Gracie didn't seem genuine though. She sighed as Lexie left, and finally packed up her bag and called for me, currently in the process of packing up.

“You coming?” She said, brushing her hair before looking at me.

Can't you pack up faster? My mind yelled. Hey, you try stuffing a life science textbook in this bag sometime, I argued back.

In history, everyone did the same old thing, played on their phone as Mr. Seacroft wasted all of our time. And for once, I loved it when teachers wasted time. It seemed, the only person that cared about history was a girl named Federica, an Italian exchange student that moved here in middle school. I don't even try to listen to him, but I make it look like I’m writing notes. In reality, I'm texting Gracie, and enjoying it.

Gracie: homecoming nxt wk, yrs go by fast ;)

Me: Ya.

Gracie: it's only 1:15, we have to text for 10 more mins.

Me: ok,

Gracie: scrabble?

Me: nah,

Gracie: wht r u going 2 b 4 Halloween?

Me: idk.

She doesn't respond automatically, and suddenly I start typing.

Me: do u have someone in mind for the dance yet?

Gracie looks back at me and smiles, then looks back at her phone.

Chapter five

Gracie

Friday

I look at the stream of texts he sent me. The last text was obvious. He wanted to know if I was going with someone else. I respond, my mind telling me to say my true feelings. Not yet, I think.

Me: no, not yet.

Puck: k. Cool.

That wasn't what I was expecting, but then again, if it did happen, I don't know what I’d do. Then, finally the bell rang, indicating it was the end of history class, and I walked to gym. Today we didn't dress out, which I was glad for because I had forgotten my gym clothes. Coach Terrence, our gym teacher, had announced we would have a health class on monday. That will be fun. I think. I saw Puck in the gym. He was on his phone. I walk over through the large crowd of people and sneak behind him. He’s playing Color Switch! I like Color Switch, too, I thought. Suddenly, he saw me and put his phone in his pocket, but it just fell out. He realized his shorts didn't have pockets, and now I know why. Coach T walked up, snatched the phone and walked back to his office. Oops I got Puck in trouble. I thought. He didn't seem mad though, he just shrugged and talked to his friend, Mason. At some point, gym ended, which meant once that bell rang, school was over. I was so excited for the party. A million thoughts ran through my  head, and I almost walked into the wrong changing room. Almost.

I wave as Puck gets into his toyota, hoping he sees me. My mom shows up a few minutes later, in her new GMC sierra. I don't like trucks, but my mom bribed me into accepting it. But that’s a long story.

“How was school?” my mom asks.  

I don't tell her about volleyball practice because I don't feel like going. Instead, I check the time on the dashboard, then compute the time until the party.  I still have three hours to kill.

“Hey Mom, can we go to Target for party supplies?” I asked.

“Sure”

At target, my mom and I split up. She would look for food, I would find all the party elements. That is, until I saw Puck. That shouldn't be a big deal, but it is. I shouldn't say anything, but I do.

“Hey Puck,” I say.

He turns, abandoning the wide variety of sodas.

“Sup,” he smiles.

“Just getting stuff for the party,” I shrugged.

“Me too,”

“Did you bike here?” I ask, giving a smile of my own.

“Nah,” he sighs. “My mom is here, in aisle ten.”

I looked up, we were in aisle eight. “Cool,”

“Yeah,” he says, then pulls out his phone, (he had gotten it back after gym class.) “Sorry for leaving again like this, but I’ve gotta go. Mothers right?”

He laughs, but it sounds nervous.

“Yeah okay, cool,” I say. “See you tonight,”

“See you tonight!” he says, then he vanished to aisle ten.

With the party only thirty minutes away, I was frantically running around the house, making sure everything was clean, and setting everything up. That meant making sure the TV worked, cleaning my room, and setting up the food and drink. My mom wouldn't help me in the matter because she was too busy getting ready for a date with a guy she didn't even know. Yeah you heard me right.

“Gracie,” she called me from my room, which wasn't as bad as it was twenty minutes ago.

“Yes?” I grunted as I closed my closet door, which wasn't cooperating.

“When I’m gone, no one’s to go up to your room with you,” she scolded. “Especially not alone.”

“Okay mom” I say, rolling my eyes.

With that, she leaves, and I'm finally alone with ten minutes to spare. I decide to use that ten minutes texting all my friends that are coming.

Lexie is the first to arrive, and she smiles when she comes in.

“Hey,” I return a smile. “How was practice?”

“It was good,” she paused. “For the people that went.”

Wait, is she mad at me? I thought.

“Yeah sorry,” I shrugged. “I had to get the party set up.”

“Yeah, well, I had to be partnered with Mia,” she complained.

“Okay,” I said, “There’s soda and snacks if you want it,”

She walked over to the counter, where a variety of food and drink was displayed. The doorbell rang again, and I went to answer it, wondering who it would be. It wasn't who I had hoped though. Instead it was Dylan.

“Dylan?” I said surprised. “I don’t remember inviting you.”

“No need to invite,” he said. “I already did that myself.”

“You can't just come uninvited,”

“No, let him stay,” Lexie glared at me.

“Fine,” I groaned, I didn't want to facilitate Lexie’s relationship with Dylan.

So that's how Dylan ended up at my party. Carter, Dylan's friend/sidekick arrived, and I had to let him in too. Where was Puck? I thought, glancing at the analog clock on the wall. It was currently six forty-three.

Chapter six

Puck

Friday

I’m so late! I thought as I put on my helmet and maneuvered the Target bag closer to the other side of the handlebar. I made my way, making it look like I was going to Mason’s, dropped my bike off at his house, and borrowed his bike to take to Gracie’s. Then, after I was sure the bag holding the box of chocolates wasn't going to fall off, I pulled out my phone. This was challenging, because if I dropped my phone, I wouldn't have a phone, and I need a phone. I used Siri, since I was technically texting and driving.

“Hey Siri?”

“Yes?” its monotone voice said    

“Text Gracie,”

“Okay, what do you want to say?”

“Sorry I’m late, had to stay late and help with something,”

“Okay, ready to send it?”

“Send,”

Then I put my phone in the pocket of my hoodie, and continued pedaling. I arrived at six forty-five, I parked Mason’s bike on Gracie’s sidewalk and walked to the door. Here goes nothing, I thought as I rang the doorbell with a jittery finger. Lexie opened the door and gave me an odd look.

“I didn't know Gracie invited you,”

“Sorry to disappoint,” I said, giving a small smile.

You’re flirting with the wrong girl dude, my conscience stated. Yeah, I noticed.

“The game’s tied, just to fill you in on what you missed,” Lexie gently dragged me to the couch. As I sat down I noticed two things. One, Gracie wasn't there, and two, both Carter and Dylan were there.

“Do any of you know where Gracie went?” I asked not caring about the game.

“She’s upstairs,” Lexie shrugged.

“Thanks,”

“Hey where are you going?” Dylan asked, not looking away from the TV.

“I'm just going to check on Gracie,” I had to get out of there before the commercials started.

The Panthers scored a touchdown, and I used that as my way to escape. As I went upstairs I tried to remember what room she was in. I heard movement from the right.

“Gracie?” I called out. There was some shuffling, then the door started to open.

“Puck!” Gracie exclaimed. “I saw your text.”

“Yeah, sorry about that,” I said. “I brought chocolate to make up for it.”

“Come in,” Gracie said, setting the chocolate on her bed. “So what do you want to do?”

“It’s your party,” I shrugged, giving a flirtatious smile.

Looking around the room, I noticed a telescope.

“Do you stargaze?” I asked.

“Sometimes,” she replied. “Mostly just for art.”

“That’s cool,” I say. “Do you know the names of the constellations?”

“No,” she paused. “Do you?”

“Some of them,” I say, knowing she’s impressed. “Here, I’ll show you.”

We walked to the window and I grabbed the telescope.

“You can get a better view from the roof,” Gracie suggested.

“Okay,” I say, and she opens the window to the roof. A light breeze flowed in that moved her hair. Is there anytime where she doesn’t look good? I thought. When she falls into a swamp, my conscience suggested. Shut up! This is my moment. Besides, she would look good even then.

I haul the telescope onto the roof, and Gracie climbs out behind.

“So this,” I said, pointing to a constellation, “Is Orion, and that cluster of stars is called the unico .”

She looked at me, baffled. “Is there anything you can't do?”

I don't realize what’s happening until our faces are almost touching. Everything around us slows, and it's as if time stops for us. I can hear her heartbeat, that's how quiet it is. She tilts her head slightly and leans forward. Don't mess this up, my conscience scolds me. I can't, this is going too fast. I responded. I casually pulled away, claiming I saw a shooting star. The first time I’ve lied to her, I thought. No wait, make that the second, the first was the text.

this is a significant part of the story. It adds one backstory to puck’s life and makes a solid bridge to the climax

Chapter seven

Gracie

Friday

Why did he pull away? I thought as he made a remark about a shooting star.

“So what did you wish for?” I said, trying to regain composure.

“Happiness,” he smiled.

“So, what now?” I asked.

“You know, I'm not that good at dancing,” he admitted.

“Really?” I said, shocked. “I’ll teach you.”

We went back through the window, glad to be back in the warmth. I grabbed my Iphone from it’s perch on the shelf and skimmed through some songs on Youtube. It took me several minutes before I finally found one that was good. It was Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.

“So with slow dancing, you just feel the music,” I instructed, putting his hands around my neck. As the song played, I listened to the lyrics. It was as if the song was made for us. Us. I thought, savoring the rest of the song. This only lasted a short time before someone said my name.

“Gracie?”

It was Lexie. There was no time to move, so Puck and I still had our hands around each other when Lexie walked in. We regained composure, and moved away.

“Lexie,” I said “Weren't you supposed to knock?”

“Puck, can Gracie and I have a private moment please?”

“Sure,” he shrugged, and headed out the door, and closed it behind him.

Trapped in my own room. I thought.

“Were you two…” Lexie paused. “Dancing?”

I didn't answer.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” she gave me a look, apparently thinking on something.

“Wait that means the things at school, that's not just being nice, is it?”

“No,”

“And not showing up for volleyball?” she inquired. “Did Puck have anything to do with that?”

“Sorta,” I said, getting frustrated. “So what? Look who’s little miss detective! Here I am, throwing a party, and you’re interrogating me.”

“A party you invited Puck to, and you didn't participate in,”

“Well I hope you’re happy, because now the party’s over,” I declared.   

After everyone except Puck left, we watched Hulu, settling on a show called Once Upon A Time. I was so into the show, I didn't realize Puck had fallen asleep. I only knew this because his phone started buzzing. It was in his pocket, but I could still see the screen through the fabric. Slowly, I inched my hand into his pocket, quickly pulling out the iphone. I pressed the home button to see who it was. Thats a bad idea. My conscience warned. I read the screen. It said: missed call from: mom.

You’re right, that was a bad idea. I told my conscience. But this one is even worse. He didn't have a password on his phone, so I quickly access his text messages. I started typing in things he might say, like

Me: Sorry I missed your call

She replied: just don't do it again, and how late is this party?

I looked over to Puck, who didn't seem to be waking up anytime soon.

Me: Can i stay at Mason’s for the night? We want to watch the Flash.

Puck’s mom: sure.

I let out a sigh of relief as Puck's mom didn't answer. This relief only lasted a little while though, because then my phone buzzed. There was a text from my mom.

Mom: staying over @  boyfriends house, there’s pizza in the freezer. Srry.

That’s some irresponsible parenting, I thought.

Me: k.

Mom: it’s getting late, you should send your friends home.

Me: they already left.

Mom: k, see you tomorrow.

Me: k

After I was done eating pizza, I grabbed a blanket and draped it over Puck, who was sleeping soundly. Not that much later, I got a blanket, draped it on the other side of the couch, and fell asleep too.

Puck

Saturday

Gracie’s house

Where’s the forks? I thought as I shut yet another drawer. So far I had gone through five drawers, and there was fifteen drawers in total. She wouldn't want you digging through her stuff, my conscience chided good morning to you, I snapped back. Besides, I’ll make up for it with eggs and bacon, if I can find a fork! As I set the table, I thought about last night, which now seemed like centuries ago. She almost kissed you! And you chickened out! My conscience chided. Hey, do you have an off button? I thought, getting annoyed. No. My conscience replied. Man, you’re so annoying! I sigh. I know. It replied as I checked the clock on the stove. How late does Gracie sleep in? And where are the forks?!

I found out both of those answers fifteen minutes later. Gracie woke up at approximately nine twenty-five. And the forks were in the pantry, go figure.

“Good morning,” I smiled.

“Morning,” she yawned.

She even looks good with bed head. I thought. You’re crazy, my conscience told me. I ignored it.

“What’s all this?” She asks, pointing to the layout of food.

“I’m glad you asked. We have some scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, and for dessert, French toast.”

She looked at me in awe. “You made all this?”

“Yeah,”

“So this falls under the list of things you can do,”

“Please,” I say, pulling out a chair. “Sit down, relax, what do you want to drink?”

“I’ll have some orange juice, the one without pulp, please,”

“Okay, I’ll be right back then,” I said and came back a few seconds later.

“Your mom called,” she said, and I almost tensed. “I told her you were at Mason’s. I hope that’s okay.”

That’s exactly where I am supposed to be, anyway. I thought and gave a small chuckle.

“Okay thanks,” I said and enjoyed the nice breakfast I had whipped up. It was short lived, because I got a text from my mom

Mom: tell Mason you should be home by ten.

Me: k. Luv ya

Mom: luv u 2.

“Sorry to leave on such a short notice, but I guess the fun has to end at some point,” I sighed.

“Okay, I guess I’ll see you Monday then,” her mouth curved up at one side, as if she was sharing an unspoken secret.

“Yeah, see you then,”

When I finally got home, I knew something was off. The first clue was the cherry red Ford F-150 parked in the driveway. The second, was the fact that the light to my dad's bedroom was on, something that hadn’t happened in nine years. When I reached the door, I stuck my key into the keyhole. I hesitated for a moment, something in the back of my mind told me not to open the door. And if I had known who was on the other side of that door, I wouldn’t have. But, as they say, curiosity killed the cat.

“Mom?” I called out.

There was some murmuring, then shuffling, then silence for a moment, until my mom came into the room. She was wearing a red V-neck dress, her hair sat in curly strands on her shoulders.

“Hey, have fun at your friends party?” She asked, swaying like someone who couldn’t find their balance.

Was she drunk? I thought to myself. Conscience, analysis please? I could almost feel my conscience sigh. Yup she’s totally zonked out. No slurring in speech though, that’s unusual, you should try to see how drunk she is. I sighed. So helpful,

But I didn’t know what to do in this situation,—I guess this falls into the category of one of the things I can’t do—so I scan the room for any form of alcohol. She isn’t dumb, she wouldn’t just leave it lying around, I’m so lost in thought, I don’t realize she asked me a question.

“Sorry, what was that?” I asked.

“I said, your dad wants to see you,” then she walked into the kitchen and disappeared.

My mind was racing. Your dad wants to see you. Sudden hatred consumed me as I walked to my dads room. And there he was.

Eleven years ago

4:03 AM

Puck is half asleep in his favorite chair, unaware of the sound upstairs. His dad is quietly packing his things. When his dad comes downstairs, he sees Puck lying on the chair, walks over and kisses his forehead. “See you later kiddo,” his father whispered, then went out the back door. Puck wouldn’t realize his father never intended to come back.

Puck

Saturday

“You abandon me when I was five, then eleven years later you come back and expect everything to be normal?” I say, on the verge of an emotional breakdown.

“Puck I—”

“Save it, I don’t need your pity,” I said, disgusted. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go clear my head,”

It was a lie, but he didn’t need to know that. He didn’t need to know anything about me, he made that clear the day he walked out on us.

“Hey mom?” I called out.

When there was no answer, I explored the house and found her lying on the couch, an empty bottle of wine on the coffee table next to her. She’s going to have a serious hangover when she wakes up. I thought. Then I went to my room, knowing that my father would show himself out.

Chapter eight

Gracie

Saturday

The mall, Aeropostale store

“So, what do you think? This dress, with these shoes, or this one?” Lexie said, holding up two dresses.

Isn’t that dress a little tight? I thought. She must’ve been reading my expression because she said,

“You don’t like it,” in disappointment.

“No, the dress is good,” I lied, “But the color throws me off.”

“Okay, thanks,” she said, then disappeared behind an aisle of clothes.

I sighed, we had been doing this for the past thirty minutes, and I wanted to shop on my own. One of the problems of high school friendships: You travel in packs. Usually we would have Emma with us, but she was sick this week.

“How about this color?” Now she was holding up a pink lace dress.

I had to admit, it was a pretty color, so I said, “Dylan will like that,”

The edge of her mouth quirks up, and I know exactly what she’s thinking. Let’s just say, they were going to have a “fun time” after homecoming.

“While you go pay for that,” I say, “I’m gonna’ go look at some dresses too, maybe some new makeup to go with it. “

“Okay, meet you there,” she said, pulling out her credit card. (She gets a new one each month, complaining that her parents don’t put enough money on it.)

I was given a hundred bucks. Poor me. I thought sarcastically. I get more than most, so I’m not that far off, but there’s still a twinge if jealousy in my mind as Lexie slides the card through the scanner.

“Is there anything I can help you with?” A store clerk asked.

I bet he asks about two hundred people that, and most of them say no. Considering this, I shrug and say,

“Actually, yes. Do you have any casual-but-formal dresses?”

“Ah, I would recommend the Melissa Bliss collection,” the male clerk smiled.

“Okay, thanks,” I said, looked at his name tag, and added “Bryan.”

“Anytime,” he shrugged. “Let me know if you need anything.”

I nodded, then started searching for the dress.

“So,” Lexie said, holding a shopping bag. “Who are you hoping asks you to the dance?”

“I dunno, I guess I haven’t really thought about it,” I shrugged.

“Really?” Lexie raised an eyebrow. “What about Eric, didn’t you two have a ‘thing’ going on?”

“We made out once, but that’s about it,”

Lexie shook her head, “Gracie, what would you do without me?”

I could do a lot of things, I think to myself. Like enjoy a soda once in a while. (Lexie says popular comes at the price of being slim.) I wouldn’t be bothered, but I haven’t had a Big Mac in forever. And she makes these protein shakes that taste like rubber. Anyway, I’m beside the point, which is shopping. I pull out a mint-green strapless dress that goes down to my knees.

“That looks nice,” Lexie said.

“Thanks,” I said, looking at the price before walking to the register. “Apparently this nice thing is eighty bucks.”

We were so caught up in our conversation, we didn’t notice the store clerk I had met earlier.

“Nice choice,” he smiled, and I couldn’t help but smile back.

“Thank you for helping me,”

“Well, it’s kinda my job,”

I giggle, and watch as he rings it up.

“You know, if you start an account with us, you can save twenty bucks off your purchase,”

“Really?” I said, relieved. “Okay then,”

After I signed a few things into the register, I walked out of the store, holding my discounted dress in my hand.

“That guy was totally into you,”

“What are you talking about?” Then I added, “You are not setting me up with him.”

“Why not?”

“Because, I already have someone in mind,”

“I thought you said you hadn’t thought about it,” Lexie stated. “Wait, you’re not actually considering asking Puck, are you?”

“What makes you think that?” I say, even though I know exactly what she’s thinking.

“Um, hello? I walked in on you two dancing. Together. Enjoying it. What do you say about that?”

“He didn’t know how to dance, I was just teaching him, so when he meets someone, he can dance properly,”

“Right,” She said incredulously. “So you were dancing to Thinking Out Loud. Which by the way, is one of the most played love songs. And usually, you dance to love songs when you’re in love.”

“I just wanted to give him a feel for the kinds of songs that are played,”

“What about when you sent everyone home except for him?” Lexie was determined to bust me, and I was determined to keep our secret.

“Whatever Lexie, I’ll see you at school, okay?”

“So you’re just gonna’ walk away?” She yelled behind me. I didn’t look back, but I could feel the gaze of the whole mall bearing down on me.

Puck

Saturday

“Hey, how’s it going?” I asked Mason on the phone.

“Pretty good actually,” he said, I heard the sound of Destiny 2 in the background. “Last night was legit. Wish you were there, we had a tournament.”

“Yeah,” I grimaced. “Sounds fun.”

“So, how was your night?”

“Eh, pretty uneventful,” I said.

“So did you get a t-shirt?”

“Huh?”

“You didn’t get a t-shirt? Did you at least get a selfie at the concert?”

Oh, so that’s what he’s going on about. I thought, remembering the lie I had told him. “Sorry, didn’t think of it,”

“Aw, that’s too bad,” he sighed. “Anyway, why don’t we play a match of Infected on C.O.D.? I’ll invite you.”

“Okay, sounds good,” I say, turning on the Xbox, waiting for the invite notification to appear.

“And you should get an invite,” he paused for effect. “Now.”

I clicked the notification, which opened the game. I also grabbed my headset from the closet and switched it on.

Five minutes later, we were the only ones left. We had a good camping spot, that only had two entrances. This way, we couldn’t get stabbed from behind. We just had to survive for thirty more seconds. And then Mason got killed, surprisingly knocked out by a throwing knife. Then, he got the last kill: me.

We played five more matches, and he won three more times. After the last match, My phone rang.

“Hang on a sec, I have to take a call,”

“Okay,” he said as I pulled off the headset.

“Hey, Gracie, what’s up?”

“Ah, nothing much,” she said. “Thanks for making breakfast.”

“It was nothing, really,”

“So,” she said, and I could imagine her shrugging while smiling. “What color suit are you planning to wear for the dance?”

She’s going to ask me to the dance. I realized.

“Oh, uh, I guess I was just going to wear some slacks and a collared shirt, why?”

“I’m trying to set you up with someone,” she paused “And wanted to let you know to wear something green,”

Set me up with someone? I thought.

“Yeah, sure, thanks, um, I’ll see what I have in the way of green,” I said, knowing I didn’t have anything remotely green. “Nice talking to you,”

Then the call ended, and I was left with a sense of disappointment.

“Hey!” A voice called out. It took me a while for me to realize it was Mason.

“Mason!” I said in a fake happy tone. “How long exactly were you there?”

“I never left, I’ve done six games since you got on the phone,”

Please say you didn’t hear anything from that conversation. I sighed.

“Cool,” I said. “Listen, I gotta’ go, but I’ll see you Monday okay?”

“Yeah,”

“Alright, bye,”

I grabbed my shoes and went upstairs. My mom was still on the couch, she had changed out of her dress and was now wearing a t-shirt and jeggings.

“Hey mom, could we go to the mall to get a tux?”

“Sure,” she shrugged. “What’s the occasion?”

“Homecoming is Tuesday, and I want to dress nice,”

“Okay,” she said, getting up from the couch, grabbed her purse, slipped on some shoes, and walked to the car. “Let’s do it!”

As I got in the car, I noticed my dad’s F-150 was gone, and the light was off. He snuck out, again. My conscience commented.

Good. I thought.

Some small part of you still loves him. My conscience whispers.

Maybe you’re right, but that part died when he came back today. I scowled.

“Hey,” my mom said, snapping me out of my reverie. “You okay?”

“Yeah, sorry,” I said.

“So, have anyone in mind for the dance?” She said as I got in the car.

Don’t answer that! IT’S A TRAP! My conscience said, reminding me of Admiral Ackbar.

I ignored it. Well then it’s a good thing I have Luke’s lightsaber.

“I thought I couldn’t date until I’m sixteen?”

“And you still can’t,” she said sternly. “But, That doesn’t mean you can’t figure out what to do, what to say, stuff like that.”

“Like a science experiment?” I suggested.

“Sure, a very explosive, fragile, flammable, beautiful experiment,”

“That would take a very specific chemical,” I observed.

“Yeah, it would,” she nodded. “Look, what I’m trying to say is, you’re that special chemical,”

I smiled. “Thanks mom,”

We arrived at the mall at twelve forty-five, which was the exact time I got out of the car, and the exact time my phone buzzed. Thankfully it was just a text, so I knew it wasn’t urgent.

“Man, I’m hungry,” she said. “Pizza sound good?”

“Sure,” I shrugged as we headed towards A Slice Of Paradise.

As I read the menu, my mom whispers, “Don’t worry about the price okay? Just, get whatever you want.”

I had only been there once, but I knew everything was pretty expensive. She’s probably making up for this morning. I thought, and smiled. “Thanks mom,” I say. “You’re the best.”

“I know,”

I was expecting my mom to say no to the sprite and the three slices of pepperoni pizza I ordered. Somewhere in between the meal, my mom went to the bathroom. I pulled out my phone and read the missed text.

Gracie: hey, I was wondering if you could drop by the mall and pick me up? My mom is busy until five, so I don’t want to be stuck here. I understand if you can’t.

I racked my brain for an excuse that would seem realistic. What if I say I’m going to GameStop?

I think.

Hey, mind if I cut in? My conscience asked.

If you can be helpful. I roll my eyes.

I can be helpful. My conscience retorted. Maybe you could just go to Belk, find a changing room, text Gracie, and tell her to meet you there.

I shake my head. I like all of that, except meeting in the changing room.

Fine, my conscience says. Just don’t blame me when your way doesn’t work.

By the time I was done bickering with my conscience, my mom was back from the bathroom.

“Ready for dessert?” She asked

“Sure,” I shrugged, and ordered a slice of cheesecake.

After lunch, I followed my conscience’s ‘plan’. We walked over to Belk, and I excused myself to the bathroom, where I texted Gracie.

Me: hey, can u meet me by the Belk changing room near the back?

Gracie: Sure, that was quick.

Me: i’m shopping for my tux, thanks for reminding me.

Gracie: yeah, that’s what friends are for.

I smiled, friends, I’m getting somewhere.

Or she friend zoned you, my conscience points out.

Be optimistic here, I think.

It’s still fifty-fifty, my conscience snaps

More like seventy-thirty.

Deal. My conscience declared. Bet you forty bucks she isn’t your girlfriend by next Friday.

Are you in a bad mood?

No, it’s funny to see you defend her.

Whatever. I sighed, and walked to the changing room, grabbing the first tux I saw. After buttoning up my collared shirt, someone stopped in front of my stall.

“Try this on,” the person said.

“Who is this?” I asked.

“Gracie, now try that on,”

Recognition crossed my face, and I grabbed the blazer draped over the stall door.

“Thanks,” I said.

A few minutes later, I stepped out of the changing room and found my mom standing near the ties.

“Awww. He’s all grown up,” my mom smiled.

“Mom!” I protested, knowing that Gracie wasn’t far away. “You’re gonna get the suit wrinkled.”

“Sorry,” my mom sighed. “Now, let's get you a tie.”

“There’s so many choices,” Gracie said, a slight smile on her face.

“Thanks for helping us out,” my mom smiled. “I know the wages aren’t ideal.”

What is she talking about? I thought.

Gracie must’ve seen my confusion, and winked.

Did she just wink at me?

No you idiot, my conscience rolled it’s nonexistent eyes. She’s acting.

Oh. I think disappointedly.

“Hello? Earth to Puck?” My mom says holding out a black striped tie.

“Oh, yeah sorry, what was that last bit?”

“Do you like this? Or do you want another style?”

“Um, I'm not really a fashion expert,”

“Would you like a solid tie, or a patterned tie?” Gracie suggested.

“A solid tie, maybe,” I shrug.

“Okay, let's see what this looks like,” Gracie said, holding up a solid light green tie and handing it to me.

I stared at her blankly. “I don’t know how to tie a tie.”

Gracie looked to my mom. “Sorry, I don’t know either.”

Because that’s a father’s job. I realized.

“Well, it’s a good thing I learned how,” Gracie sighed and walked over to me.

As she tied the tie into a knot, her fingertips would occasionally touch the back of my neck, making me shiver.

“I know, they should really do something about the heating in here,” Gracie said when she was done. “Speaking of doing things, I need to go find a ride.”

“We can give her a ride, can’t we mom?”

“I’d be happy to,”

Yes! I think.

Gracie

Puck’s Toyota Avalon

“So, didn’t catch your name,” Puck’s mom said.

“It’s Gracie,” I said, smiling at Puck, knowing he probably wished his mom would stop talking.

“Nice name,” she said. “So where do you live?”

“Oh, you can just drop me off at the Target,” I shrugged.

“Okay,”

After the drive to target, I got out of the car and said goodbye to Puck. I watched his car drive off before heading over to my house. Isn’t this a bit inconvenient? My conscience asked.

Ugh, again. I thought.

Hey! That hurts.

I’m not talking to you, I think. I just broke a nail.

Well, good for you, my conscience crossed it’s invisible arms.

What? I just got a pedicure last week!

My phone buzzed, giving me a distraction from my conscience.

Lexie: I’m sorry for what happened at the mall, can you forgive me?

Hmm, didn’t sound genuine. I think as I text back;

Me: Sure.

Lexie: good.

Me: Y?

Lexie: B-cause I need you to lend ur money to me. I’m in Aeropostale btw.

Me: Y don’t you ask your rich parents?

Lexie: still mad that I got a C in science class.

Me: ah.

Lexie: yup. Thanks for understanding.

Me: sorry, not at the mall anymore.

Lexie: what? How’d you get home?

Me: none of your biz.

Lexie: oh.

Me: yeah.

Lexie: so, can i have the money?

When I don't answer, she adds

Lexie: HELLO??

I ignore her for the rest of the day.

When I finally get home, my mom is sitting on the couch with the tv on.

“Hey kiddo, how was the mall?”

“Good, and don’t call the me kiddo,” I snapped.

“Gracie Adams!” My mom scolded. “That is not the way to talk to me.”

“You’re right, I’m sorry,” I said “Lexie and I got into an argument about something.”

“Yeah, I remember those days,” my mom sighed, having a far-away look when she said it. “Back in my day…”

I cut her off before she could give me a lecture. “Hello? Mom? We’re talking about my problems?”

“Oh yeah, right,” she nodded. “What were you and Lexie arguing about?”

“Don't get mad,” I say, wondering how much I can tell her. Also that the phrase ‘don’t get mad’ never works. “I might’ve disrespected your rule.”

“How so?”

“So there’s this guy…” I started retelling the night, leaving out this morning and the rooftop. Once I was finished, my mom drew out a long breath.

“You really like him don’t you?”

“Yeah,” I said. “He’s not like most boys.”

“Well then,” my mom smiled. “I’ll have to meet him.”

Uh-oh. I’m doomed. I think, as my mom unmutes the tv, and it sputters back to a reasonable volume.

“Oh, and you have tutoring Monday,” my mom said.

“Thanks,” I said and walked upstairs.

In my bedroom, I found the box of chocolates laying unopened on my bed. One chocolate couldn’t hurt, I think. I eat the whole box of twelve before doing my homework, then I start putting my outfit for homecoming together. Don’t ask why, but this takes an hour and a half until I’m finished, and by then it’s dinner time. And as I go to bed that night, I can’t help but wonder if Lexie and I are still friends.

Sunday

Gracie

I wake up at seven A.M., which is early for a sleepless teen like me. I quickly get ready for the day, and am surprised to find my mom is also ready and out of bed, sipping coffee and reading a fashion magazine.

“Good morning,” I said.

“Someone's up early,”

“I would say the same to you.”

“True,” she said. “There’s a poptart in the pantry if you want it.”

“Sorry, can't,” I sighed. “I have to take one of those rubber shakes Lexie makes.”

“Oh, that’s too bad,”

“Yeah,”

“Didn’t you two have a fight?” My mom observed. “C’mon, live a little.”

“Okay, I guess one pop tart wouldn’t hurt,” I shrug as I open the package. I had forgotten what they tasted like, I hadn’t had one since sixth grade. “You’re right, this was so worth the calories.”

“See,” my mom said enthusiastically. “Life is fun, if you go with the flow.”

“You do realize no one has said ‘go with the flow’ since high school? And by high school I mean your high school,”

“Ouch. How old do you think I am?”

“Um, like forty,”

“Good heavens no, I’m thirty-two,”

No one says good heavens either. I thought.

“Anyhoo,” she sighed. “I was thinking about going to get a manicure later this afternoon, and I was wondering if you wanted to tag along.”

“Sure, don't you have a date later today?”

“Yes, that's why I’m getting the manicure,”

“So I guess I’m having frozen food again,” I groaned, disappointed.

“If you want, I could order takeout,”

“Frozen dinner is fine,” I shrug.

“Is everything okay?” my mom asked.

“Yeah, of course, why wouldn't it be?”

It’s not like you’ve been dating left and right for the past year. Oh wait, that is exactly what you’ve been doing.

“It’s just, I don't want dating getting in the way of our relationship,”

Sorry to say, it already did.

“It's not mom,”

“Okay,” she looks at me worriedly. You’ll let me know if it is?”

“Totally,” I lied.

After we got the manicure, I bought some of the nail polish for the dance. It was a mint green and matched my dress, so I knew my purchase wasn't for nothing. Then we drove home, getting a Big Mac and fries on the way.

For the next few hours, I park myself in front of the tv and skim through the channels. I’m deep into the movie Walk to Remember when I get a call from Emma.

“Hey Emma,” I said. “What’s up?”

“Nothing much,”

“Okay. Do you want to come over?” I asked. “My mom’s out right now, and I’ve got a few hours before she gets back.”

“Sure, hold on, I gotta see if I can,” there was silence on her side of the line, then she said, “I can, see you in a bit,”

“Yeah,” I replied and hung up.

Five minutes later, Emma arrived, around four o’clock. She had a backpack on her shoulder and a Bojangles cup in her hand.

“Well, you came prepared,” I said.

“Yep,” she said. “I brought my whole arsenal of board games.”

“Ooh,” I said.

“No, trust me,” she said. “Some of them are good.”

“Okay, we can try some of them,” I shrugged.

This is going to be a long night. I thought.

Five games in, I was about to sink Emma’s last battleship when she got a text.

“Who’s texting you at seven thirty at night?” I asked curiously.

“No one important,” she shrugged. “Just Lexie. She’s going to miss cheerleading practice on Monday and asked me to lead the group.”

Why would Lexie do that? I thought. She knows I’m better at leading the cheer squad than Emma.

“Oh, that’s great!” I said with as much enthusiasm as I could gather. “So, I believe I was about to sink your battleship.”

“Actually, I was thinking we could take a break from board games for a while, maybe watch a movie or something,”

“I would, but I’ve been watching movies since I got home,”

“Hmm,” Emma thought for a moment, her eyebrows folded in scrutiny, before a small smile cracked her lips. “We could play truth or dare.”

“Okay,” I replied.

“You go first,”

“Okay,” I said. “Truth or dare,”

“Dare,”

Okay, if I give her a super crazy dare, she will probably give me one too. Then again, It’ll be so funny, and I can always just choose truth.

“I dare you to order us some pizza,” I paused, “And kiss the delivery guy.”

“Well that’s not fair, I didn’t bring any money,”

“You’re not getting out of this one,” I said. “I’ll give you the money.”

She opened her phone and ordered a pizza from Papa Johns.

We played a few more rounds before the doorbell

rang, and Emma went to get it.

I sat on the floor, preparing for the ‘show’.

“Delivery of a half Hawaiian, half sausage pizza,” the person said.

“Thanks,” Emma said as she handed the money to the guy, meeting his eyes.

Omg, that delivery guy has muscles!

“Hey, do you want to get a bite to eat? Maybe somewhere other than pizza?”

“Yeah, Sure, I’ll give you my number,” Emma shrugged.

“That should be easy to remember,”

“Yeah,” Emma commented. “I’m Emma by the way.”

“I’m Matt,” he said. “Cute name.”

“You’re cute too,” Emma said. “Sorry, I don’t know where that came from.”

Then, in a swift, fluid, motion Matt dropped his bag, leaned in close, and kissed Emma.

That was unexpected. I thought. At least she did her dare.

Emma briefly pulled away from the embrace, smiled, and went back to it.

You go girl!I thought, hoping I would have that kind of courage.

When they pulled away again, Matt gave Emma the pizza, along with his number. Emma looked at me with excitement.

“Did you just see that?!” she said in a squeaky voice. “And that was the best dare ever.”

“I did,” I replied. “And if you need to talk about your kissing skills, let me know.”

“I feel like I could do anything!”

“Okay,” I said “How about you give me a truth and dare, then we’ll watch a horror movie.”

“No. There is no way,” she said as she started thinking of a question. “Is it true about you and Puck?”

“Is what true?”

“That you’re a couple,”

“What?” I said shocked.

“Yeah. Apparently there’s a recording of you,” she played a recording of the party, right before I sent everyone except Puck home. I didn’t notice that Emma had her phone out. A few seconds later, I heard my phone buzz. It was Lexie.

Lexie: if u want to keep youre nerdy boyfriend a secret ur going to have to trade another secret for it.

Me: you spelled ‘your’ wrong. Also, you told Emma, so your threat doesn’t work. Learn how to blackmail!

Lexie:I’m sorry if I didn’t get the best grade in grammar class! And Emma swore to secrecy. So, spill some beans…

Me:I don’t have any beans in my pantry at the moment.

Lexie:you’re an annoying person! I’m trying to blackmail you!

Me: you mean failing at blackmailing?

Me: on the plus side, you finally spelled ‘you’re’ correctly!

Lexie: arg. YOU ARE THE MOST ANNOYING PERSON I’VE EVER MET!

Me: you capitalized that whole sentence, that’s against capitalization rules. Seriously, that’s like first grade stuff.

Lexie: STOP. CORRECTING. MY. GRAMMAR.

Me: was that a exclamatory statement?

Lexie: how would i know?

Me: if it was a exclamatory statement, you would put an exclamation point after grammar.

She doesn’t respond, so I ask,

Me: how’s the blackmailing going?

She doesn’t respond for the rest of the day.

Gracie

Monday

Home

I wake up groggily to a screaming mom.

“Get up! You’ll be late for tutoring!”

I tried to hit the snooze button in response. Saddened to find that there wasn’t one, I slowly got out of bed and got ready for school. After talking a shower, applying makeup, grabbing my homework, and inhaled a pop tart, I yelled,

“Mom, you’re going to make me late!”

“I’m going to make you late?”

“Whatever,” I shrugged as I walked out the door and got in the car.

Monday

School

As I got out of the car, my math teacher walked up to me.

“Gracie!” She smiled. “Just wanted to let you know, Puck is in the library.”

“Uh, thanks?”

Mrs. Triny saw my confusion and added, “for tutoring.”

Oh, Yeah right. That makes much more sense. I think, and find Puck sitting at a table, immersed in a textbook.

“Hey.”

“Hi Gracie,” he said, immediately looking up from his book. “How was your weekend?”

“Eh, could’ve been better,” I shrugged. “Lexie’s being a jerk.”

“Ah, that’s too bad,”

“Yeah. How about you?”

“Not that great,” he sighed. “My dad came back after leaving us for eleven years. And I’m losing my best friend, Mason.”

“I’m sorry, I know that kind of thing can be hard,”

“And I’m sorry for complaining to you like this,”

“No, it’s okay, everyone needs someone they can vent to,”

“Well said, Gracie,” he paused. “Your hair looks nice.”

“Thanks,” wow. He sure does know how to flirt. I thought.

“And now we should get to the math,”

For the next half hour, my mind drifts in and out of focus.

What happens if the exponent is negative?

How am I going to get Lexie to keep my secret?

Puck looks good with glasses.

“Gracie! Focus!” Puck snaps me out of my thoughts. “What’s ten to the negative third?”

“Uh...one over one thousand?”

“Correct!”

The bell rang, indicating that we have five minutes to get to class.

“See you in math!”

“Yeah, see you!”

Now to art. I think, and for the first time in forever, I don’t want to go to art class.

“Hey Gracie,” Lexie smiled.

“Uh, no. You don’t get to act friendly after last night,”

“Awww. Is someone mad that they can’t fix my grammar?” Lexie says. “By the way, you better fess up, our you know what goes viral.”

Viral? As in everyone in the school? I thought.

“I still have my stuffed animal from second grade,”

“That doesn’t count,”

“What do you mean?” I said angrily.

“That’s a lousy one, but you could pay me if you don’t have another secret,”

“How much?”

“Five bucks,”

Five bucks? I thought as I pulled a five out of my wallet and handed it to Lexie.

Second period snuck up on me, and I had to rush to get to the classroom. It didn’t matter, I was still late. I used my new math knowledge to answer some questions before checking Instagram. When I scroll through the posts, I see one with Emma. She’s at Steak and Shake, sharing a milkshake with Matt, who has his arm around her. Then I get a text from Lexie.

Lexie: it’s getting harder to keep this secret.

Gracie: what’s that supposed to mean?

Lexie: I’m gonna need five bucks every time I see you

Gracie: no

Lexie: do you have a secret?

Gracie: no.

Lexie: then I guess I’ll have ten bucks to spend at lunch.

Arg. She got better at blackmail. I sighed. This time I’m the one who doesn’t respond.

Puck

Monday

Lunch

After I found my usual table, I unconsciously glanced in the direction of Gracie’s table. I was saddened to find out, she wasn’t there. Where is she? I saw her in math, I thought.

Maybe she died. My conscience suggested.

I scowled in return. Really? You had to say that?

It seems like you always talk about her, it gets old. My conscience argues.

Old? I raised an eyebrow.

“Hey, earth to Puck?” Mason interrupted my thoughts.

”Yeah?”

”I was just talking James over here about the fun times we had on Friday,”

”Yeah, I'm sorry I missed it,”

”Why did you miss it again?” James asked.

”I was at a concert,” I said, remembering the lie. It gets harder to maintain this story.

”Which one?” Mason asked.

”Imagine Dragons,” I said. ”And now, I'm leaving.”

”Why?” James asked.

”How about, none of your business,” I rolled my eyes and walked out of the cafeteria.

I found Gracie in the library, her head in her hands. I walked over to the couch, where she sat.

“What’s wrong?”

When she looked up, her eyes were tearstained.

Why was she crying?  I thought.

“It’s nothing,” Gracie sniffled.

“No really, you can tell me,” I said, taking a seat next to her.

“Well, it’s about Lexie,” Gracie began. “You know how at the party, Lexie walked in on us dancing?”

“Yeah,” I said, remembering having to step out.

“Well now she thinks that we’re a ‘thing’ and she was going to tell the whole school. I don’t know what to do Puck,” she says, dabbing at the corners of her eyes. “Oh, and she’s blackmailing me. She says I have to give her five dollars each time I see her.”

“Here’s twenty dollars, and if you need anything else, you just say the word,” I said, giving her my allowance for the week and getting up.

“I can’t accept this,”

“Well I’m not taking it back,”

“Thanks so much, you’re the kindest person I’ve ever met,”

“Anytime,” I said, starting to leave.

“Puck?” Gracie called out.

I turned around. “Yes?”

“I need a shoulder to cry on,”

I walked back as calmly as I could, and sat down next to her, this time with our shoulders touching. Her head rested on my shoulder, and her eyes found mine.

Now put your arm around her… my conscience instructed. For once, I listened.

Chapter nine

Gracie

Monday  

A million questions ran through my mind throughout fourth period. Was Lexie right? Could Puck and I be a couple? Would it work? I was full of nervous energy. Lexie’s perception of  Puck is wrong. My conscience states. She sees someone as the world sees him, you see him as he is.

And why is that?  I asked rhetorically.

Because it’s true love.

I didn’t want you to answer. That’s the point of a rhetorical question.

At this point, I can hardly pay attention to the lecture Mrs. Hoffman gives, much less take notes. Instead, I glare at Lexie, imagining what it would be like if she suddenly disappeared.

It would be nice. My conscience answered for me.

Then, the bell rang, indicating that this long day was almost over. As I walked out the door, I gave Lexie a five from the wad of cash Puck gave me. She looks unfazed, and happy to get the money.

I guess I’m not partnering with her in gym. I thought.

After I change, I walk to the gym and casually speed walk to Emma, who is on the other side of the gym.

“Hey, how are you?” I say.

“Pretty good, last night I had a date with Matt,”

“I saw. Tell me every. Single. Detail!”

“I would love to, but it would make you jealous,” Emma said. “How are things with Puck?”

“I honestly don't know,”paused. “He’s so smart and talented, he even--oh nevermind.”

“No, what is it?”

“I can't tell you,”

“I thought we didn't keep secrets from each other,”  

“Says the one that helped Lexie blackmail me,”

“Ouch,” Emma said, “I only helped her because she was funding for the homecoming committee.”

That would explain the need for cash. I thought.

“That makes so much more sense,”

“So, what's the news?”

I paused, thinking back to last night. “Sorry, but I can't have you going off to Lexie behind my back,”

“So you won’t tell me,” Emma said, hurt.

“I’m really sorry Emma, I just, don't know who I can trust anymore,”

She could have people all over the school that were manipulated into doing this. I thought and looked around the room.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I’m sorry, I wish I could trust you,”

“So what? You’re just gonna let Lexie get to you?”

I don’t respond. Instead, I jog until I’m a few feet away from Emma. I look through the crowd of teenagers, but I can’t find any girl that isn’t somehow associated with Lexie. I’m all alone. I realized. As I left gym class that day, I felt my friends slipping away.

I go to volleyball practice with one goal in mind: irritate Lexie at all costs. I have little success, but it’s still fun to see her get frustrated.

“That’s it! I’ve had enough of your snide comments, Gracie!” She shrieked after I made a joke about her “You’re off the team!”

“Well you can’t do that because I quit!” I said, walking out of the gym. That’s when it started to rain.

“How was school?” My mom asked as I got in the car.

“I don’t want to talk about it,”

“Oh, okay,”

We sit in silence for a while, then my mom says,

“Do you want to go to Bojangles?”

“Sure,” I shrugged.

When we get home, I lock myself in my room, not wanting to answer any questions my mom has about my bad day. At around four thirty, I get a call from Puck.

“Hey,” I say, getting off of my bed. “What’s up?”

“Eh, nothing much,” Puck replied. “Just doing some boring history homework,”

“Ooh, that is boring,”said. “Why don't you take a break?”

“Uh, I guess I could have a little rest,”

“We never finished Once Upon A Time,”

“Yeah, sorry, I guess I fell asleep,”

“We could watch it now,” I suggested

“How would we do that?”

“I could get my moms ipad and I could facetime you,”

“Okay,” he said, and hung up.

I unlocked my door, walked downstairs, and found my mom on the couch, watching the news.

“Hey mom?”

“Yes?”

“Can I use your ipad and the TV for an hour?”

“Maybe,” my mom said, “If you tell me what happened at school.”

Well that’s not fair.

I reluctantly told her almost all of the things that transpired. Once I was done, she took a deep breath.

“Aww, sweetie,” she said, giving me a warm hug. “You have the TV all night, I’ll go get the iPad.”

“Thanks mom,” I say.

At six thirty, Puck announces that he has to eat dinner, and ends the FaceTime. So, I get something as well, deciding on some leftover pasta from two nights ago. As I’m eating, I plan how I’m going to ask Puck to the dance. Things like, what I’m going to wear, what period to ask him in, what I’m going to say. As I go to sleep that night, I finally feel at peace, despite my stressful day.

Tuesday

Gracie

Home

I wake up refreshed, and I get ready in a reasonable fashion. When I get downstairs, I grab a granola bar and walk out the door, ready for school. Sort of. Maybe not. Okay definitely clueless. Today’s the dance. I thought. After the short drive from school, I get out and go to the library, hoping to find Puck. I finally find him after a few minutes of searching around the room. I spot his computer screen on a horoscope website. I read the last line: the person you admire will be especially close today.

“Hey,” I say gently, trying not to startle him.

He jumps anyway, but regains his composure.

“Hey Gracie, how was volleyball practice?”

“I um, I quit the team,”

“What? But you’re the best one on the team!”

“Thanks, but that’s not true,”

“Name one person,”

“Lexie, Emma,”

“That’s two,” he said, “And even if that was true, their athleticism is no match for your intellect, artistry, and beauty.”

I can’t think of anything to say, so I just smile and stand.

Awkward. My conscience rolls in my head. Tell him you’re going to class now.

“I’m going to go to class, I’ll see you later,”

I find my mind buzzing, like when I eat too much sugar. My heart thumps loud and quick in my chest it feels as though it could jump out at any moment.

Someone’s in love, my conscience stated.

Am not! I thought, but I was grinning from ear to ear.

Art comes and goes, and Lexie was nowhere in sight. In math, I scroll through the latest posts on Twitter. I see about five posts from Lexie that set me in a foul mood. The last post is particularly upsetting. It has a picture of Puck with a caption that read: Bayview high’s biggest loser. I have a feeling that she posted that just to irritate me.

This is what she wants. My conscience says. She’s using your anger against you.

Not anymore. I think, and delete Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter from my phone. I also delete Lexie and Emma from my contacts. As I leave math class that day, I feel like a weight has been lifted. In study hall, I get some science homework done, then play color switch for the rest of the period.

At lunch, I’m saddened at the sight of Lexie sitting at my table. I spend as long as I can in the lunch line, dreading the conversation ahead.

“Took you long enough!” Lexie whined.

“Yeah, sorry, couldn’t decide what to get,” I shrugged and took a seat next to Emma.

“Whatever,” Lexie rolled her eyes, like she was saying: we both know you were staring at Puck

Emma sensed a tension between Lexie and I, and tried to break it by initiating a conversation with us.

“So Lexie, is Dylan planning anything special for after the dance?”

“I don’t know, and to be honest, I don’t expect anything fancy coming from him,”

“I guess we’ll have to see what happens,” I say.

“I guess so,” Emma chimed in. “I know Matt is taking me to a movie.”

“Aw. How romantic. Emma, isn’t he like, a jock or something?”

“Yeah, he’s super buff,” she brags.

After lunch, I think about the conversation, breezing through science and finally, gym.

Its now or never. My conscience warned.

What do you mean?

Unless he asks you to the dance right now, he’s not going to at all.

Who says he was the one asking? I thought.

Well then, do it. My conscience eggs me on.

I will. Maybe. This is harder than it seems.

The seventh period bell rings, and I rush out the door. I’ll ask him in a private setting, school isn't the place.

Whatever. My conscience sighes.

Puck

Tuesday

Home

I should’ve asked her! Ah man, I'm such a dumb idiot! I think as I lay on my bed. My cat, leo isn’t helping at all. He’s meowing nonstop for five minutes. Translation: Hey, you. Human. I demand that you give me a treat! No? Ah well, it was worth a shot. Goodbye, and you are not getting any sleep tonight.

At about five thirty, I finally gather up the courage to call her.

“Hi gracie,”

“Hey,” she said. “What’s up?”

“I was just wondering if I was going to pick up my date at your house, or if I’m meeting her there?”

“Uh, what?”

“You told me that you were gonna hook me up with someone?”

“I did?”

“Yeah, do you not have anyone?”

Does no one like me?

“I do,”

“Well, who is it?”

“It’s me,”

Well that was unexpected. I was supposed to ask her, not the other way around.

“Okay, do you want me to pick you up?”

“That would be nice,”

Yes! I have a date! I thought as I ran upstairs.

“Hey mom?”

“Yes?”

“Can we pick up my friend on the way to the homecoming?”

“Why not, yolo, am I right?”

“Yeah, Sure, let’s go with that,”

My cat protested: No! I’ll be so lonely! Don't leave me!

I pet his furry little head as a way of saying, you’ll have the whole house to yourself.

Nevermind, have fun on your “date” you keep dreaming of.

Even without fingers, he can still make quotation marks.

“You ready?” my mom asked.

“Yeah,” I nodded, and walked out the door and into the car.

In the car, I text Gracie.

Me: fyi, i'll be @ ur house in about 2 mins.

Gracie: k. U exited?

Me: ya

Me: if my mom asks, we arent going together.

Gracie: Y?

Me: i’ll explain later.

Gracie: k, see u in a few!

Two minutes later, I’m standing at Gracie’s front door.

The last time I was here was the party. I realized. Well here goes nothing.

I rang the doorbell.

Her mom answered.

“Hi, Mrs. Adams,” I said.

“Gracie! Your boyfriend’s here!” she called up the stairs.

“Mom! We’ve been over this! He’s not my boyfriend!” Gracie yelled back, walking down the stairs.

Maybe it was the light, but it seemed as if she was glowing.

“You look--beautiful,” I finally say.

“And you look rather dashing yourself,” she smiles, giving me a hug.

“You kids have fun,” Mrs. Adams says.

“Shall we?” I asked, holding out my hand and gesturing towards my mom’s car.

“We shall,” Gracie smiled, her red lipstick somehow not out of place with her green and white dress.

After the drive to the school, I open the car door for her and say a quick goodbye to my mom before walking towards the school building.

Gracie

Tuesday

Homecoming

I brace myself for what happens next. Something's going to go wrong tonight. I just know it. I walk into the gym, and find out I'm still holding Puck’s hand. I let go of it quickly, looking around to see if anyone saw us. They didn't.

“Hey, Puck, I’m just gonna go see how my friends are doing,”

“Okay, I think I’ll do the same, if it’s okay with you,”

With that, we went our separate ways.

I ran some questions through my head, preparing myself for the drama ahead. At least Lexie isn't here. I think. Why do I feel like I have to prove myself?

That's just the way high school is. My conscience answered.

Thanks, but I didn't ask for your input.

Ouch, just stating the facts.

I roll my eyes, only a few feet away from Emma, who has her arm around Matt.

”Hey guys,” I say

”Hey Gracie,” Emma responds. ”Where's Puck?”

Before I can respond, Matt says, ”Hey Em? Isn't that your weird friend you were talking about?”

I look over to where Matt is pointing. It's Lexie.

I thought she wasn't coming. My mind scrambles for something to say. I wasn't prepared to deal with this.

Lexie has spotted us by now and is walking towards us. Why isn't she with Dylan?

”Lexie! Good to see you!” I lie.

”No it's not and we both know it,” she said.

”I’m gonna go get drinks,” Matt said.

”I’ll go with you,” Emma looked at me apologetically. ”I don't know what they have.”

Thanks for nothing.

”So, how was your date with Dylan?”

”Dylan's a jerk,”

”Really? I hadn't noticed,” I say sarcastically.

”No seriously,”

”What idiotic thing did he do this time?”

”He didn't have an outfit for the dance.”

“I thought you weren't going?”

”Ah, so where's your nerdy boyfriend?”

Will everyone stop calling him my boyfriend?

”Who?”

”You know who I'm talking about,”

Puck, if there's any telepathic connection between us, please stay where you are.

”Oh.”

”Busted,”

”What exactly is your problem with Puck?”

”He’s a nerd,” Lexie shrugged.

”So?”

”It's the unspoken rule,”

Unspoken rule?

She notices my confused look, and adds, ”You're a popular girl, he’s a nerd. They don't mix.”

”That's just a stereotype,”

”Not to me. If you become his girlfriend, never speak to me, or any of my friends ever again,”

”When do you get to decide who’s popular?”

”Since I became homecoming queen, now if you’ll excuse me, I have a stage to get to,”

Her? Homecoming queen? Ugh.

I looked around for Puck, noticing what a good time everyone else was having. Finally, I find him by the punch bowl. Why does every dance have a punch bowl? I think as I walk over to him.

”Hey,”

”Hi,” Puck says, but it's half-hearted.

”Do you want to dance?”

”Actually, could we go somewhere private?”

”Sure, what did you have in mind?” I shrug.

”The park?”

”Sounds good to me,”

”let’s get outta here!” Puck smiled, this time it was genuine.

Puck

Tuesday

The park

A million thoughts ran through my head as we walked, hand in hand. This is nice. And, is Gracie wearing perfume? And, I can't believe Mason isn't my friend anymore. My conscience, not wanting to be left out, says,

You deserved it

How so

You went behind your friends back, manipulated his trust, need me to go on?

Nah, I'm good.

”So, did you want to talk?” Gracie asked.

”Um yeah,” I say, collecting my thoughts. ”Mason doesn't want to be friends with me anymore.”

”Ouch. Im sorry,”

“I guess I deserve it,” I say, noticing that she’s cold. “Do you want my coat?”

“Yeah, thanks,” she says, and puts it on. It’s a little big, so her hands aren't visible, and the back goes down past her waist. “Why does someone like you deserve something so awful?”

“Well, I didn't exactly tell him about you,”

“What do you mean?”

“He didn't know about us,”

“Didn't? So someone told him?”

“Yeah,”

“Do you know who?”

“No,” I say, but I know what she’s thinking. It was Lexie. “But hey, at least we’ve got each other,”

“That's all I need,” Gracie smiled, whipping her hair back in a way that could make a blind man swoon.

After a leisurely walk in the park, my stomach growls.

“How about a bite to eat?” I asked.

“Sure,” Gracie said, her blue eyes glistening in the moonlight.

This is the climax of the story please comment if you like it!

Chapter ten

Gracie

Cafe

As we walked into the small coffee shop, I kept playing one sentence over and over in my mind. Puck, I like you. No matter how many times I thought it, I couldn’t utter the words aloud. Instead, the only words I said to him was, “I need to use the restroom,” and, “I wanted a hot chocolate.”

I come back a few minutes later, seeming more refreshed. I sit beside him in the booth. My mug is warm in my hand, and as I take a sip, I smell the sweet cocoa. Puck smiles at me, slightly giggling.

“What?” I smiled back.

“Oh, you got a little bit of chocolate left on your face,”

I quickly lick it off.

“Did I get it?” I said, but my tongue isn’t fully in, so it sounds like, “bib bi bet bit?”

He giggles even more at this.

“Sorry,” I said, properly wiping my face off with a napkin. “Did I get it?”

“Yeah, for the most part,” he said and leaned over, taking something out of his pocket. “Here.”

He gently brushed a small group of my silky blonde hair behind my ear, his fingertips making me shiver. Then he took the concealed object and tucked it behind my ear. It was an Azalea, one of my favorite flowers. How did he know?

“I found it in the park,” he said, “It’s beauty made me think of you.”

Omg, is there any time when he isn’t sweet? I think. My conscience, doesn’t respond, so I don’t know what to say.

We never got to dance, I realized. I. Looked around, trying to find a jukebox. Nope. I shake my head in frustration. I fish my pockets for any small bills I might have. All I pull out is two singles, a quarter, and a dime.

”I gotta go to the bathroom real quick. I'll be right back.” I say, thinking to myself. That's the first time I've lied to him.

Instead of going to the bathroom, I went to the counter where you would order food.

”Sir?”

”Yes?” he says in a gruff voice.

”Could you do me a favor?”

”Sure,”

“There’s a song that I like and I was wondering if you would play it for me.”

“Not for free!” He chuckled

I slide the two dollars and thirty-five cents on the counter.

“Please?”

“Oh alright, I guess so,” he shrugs. “What song?”

“Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran,”

“Okay, it might take a minute,”

I try to walk slowly to time the start of the music with my arrival. I’m only a few seconds late.

“Hey,” I smile.

“It’s the song!” He exclaims.

It’s our song. I thought. “Do you wanna dance?”

“Sure,” he shrugs.

The clerk I talked with earlier started moving tables out of the way, creating a semi-decent dance floor.

Puck and I sway with the music, so close I can smell his cologne. He smells like strawberries, I smile, resting my head on his shoulder. We dance like this until the song ends, and suddenly Puck says,

“Oh gosh, look at the time!”

Really? We just had the most romantic moment in our lives and that’s how you react?! I think, but both of us stay where we are.

“Is something wrong?” He asked, noticing my distraught look.

“Sorry, I just don't want this moment to end,”

”Me too,”

It has to end at some point. My conscience taunted.

Yeah, I guess you’re right. I think and finally break away from the embrace.

Puck

Tuesday

The park

Its crazy how much one girl can stay in your head. I thought as we walked back to the school entrance.

“Thanks for tonight, I had a good time,” she said, breaking the awkward silence.

“Yeah, anytime,” I say, I feel as if my heart is at one hundred decibels.

I wish the night would never end. I thought.

As we approached the school doors, I noticed a couple sitting on a bench, giggling and smiling.

That could be us one day. I thought and looked at Gracie, who hadn’t taken the flower out of her hair as I expected.

“What? Is there something on my face?” She asked.

“No,” I said quickly, trying to think of something to say. “It’s just, you look really nice.”

Might I butt in? My conscience interjected.

You always do.

Don’t mess this up.

Thanks, like I hadn’t thought of that.

I never know, Mr. Lovebird.

Don’t call me that,

Too late Lovebird.

You’re annoying.

And you’re stuck with me, so deal with it.

Fine.

“Puck?” Gracie taps me on the shoulder, ending my mental argument. “I think our ride is here.”

Sure enough, the old Toyota Avalon is waiting for us.

I casually walk to the car, getting there a few seconds before Gracie does so I can open the door.

“Thank you.” She said.

“So, did you two have a good time?” My mom asked when I got in the car.

“Yeah,” we say in unison.

The rest of the car ride is mostly quiet. My mom is trying not to embarrass me I guess. Thanks mom. I think.

Sadly, we approach Gracie’s house, and I walk her to the door.

“Thanks for tonight,”

“Yeah,” I say, “Thanks for saying yes.”

“That was my pleasure,” she says, giving me a quick peck on the cheek. Then she walked into her house, leaving my astonished teenage brain to comprehend what just happened.

She just kissed me.

It was technically only a small kiss, and on the cheek. My conscience argued.

You could argue with a rock. I sighed.

I would win that argument too.

Arg! I sigh, getting back in my mom’s car.

“So,” My mom said, snapping me out of my reverie. “How’d it go?”

“It was fun,” I shrugged.

“I think it was more than fun, considering the light pink lipstick on your cheek.

Oh crap. I think.

“Don’t worry, I’ll allow it,” she says nonchalantly.

I let out a sigh of relief.

“Mason’s not my friend anymore,”

“Oh, that’s terrible!”

“Yeah,”

“What happened?”

Tread carefully. My conscience warned me.

“I guess he’s jealous that I went to the dance with someone,”

“That doesn’t make any sense,”

“High school drama doesn’t make any sense either, but that doesn’t stop it from happening,” I shrug.

“Yeah I guess you’re right,”

Huh. that was easier than I thought it would be. I thought.

When we get home, it’s eight ten, and by the time I get ready for bed, it’s eight forty. I decide to spend the last twenty minutes playing video games. I pop in The LEGO Movie Videogame. I’ve already beat the game, so now I’m just doing it for fun. I got to level four when I had to stop and go to bed. Ten minutes later, I was sleeping soundly, dreaming of Gracie.

Puck

Wednesday

Home

I wake up to the Pirates of the Caribbean theme song, refreshed. After breakfast and a brief shower, and picked my clothes for the day. I decide to wear jeans and a faded t-shirt that says: video games ruined my life; good thing I have two more lives. I decide to put on an American Eagle jacket.

And sunglasses. My conscience suggests.

I add this to my attire.

And a ball cap.

Really? I think, grabbing a Legend of Zelda hat. Anything else? Mr. fashion expert?

Now that you mention it, you could put cologne on. My conscience said.

Of course. I sighed, dabbing a few drops of chocolate scented cologne.

I’m not asking for your opinion ever again.

You haven’t even seen if it works! My conscience complained.

That was five minutes of my life you could’ve spared if you had said “sunglasses, a ball cap, and cologne,”

But where’s the fun in that? My conscience asks.

You’re really annoying sometimes you know that? I sighed as I walked downstairs and grabbed my shoes.

“Ready to go?” My mom asked.

“Yeah,”

“Let me get my car keys and we’ll be on our way,”

In the car, I replay last night in my head.

As far as unofficial first dates go, a low-quality cafe. I thought, remembering the dance.

She did go to the bathroom a lot, my conscience reminded me.

Oh, shut up already!  I shook my head.

Lost, in my own thoughts, I don’t realize how close we are to the school.

I quickly gather my stuff and get ready to leave.

“Puck, can you dig my phone out of my purse?”

“Yeah, sure,” I say, locating the vibrating phone and pulling it out, and looking at the screen. It’s a call. I casually glanced at the caller ID, astonished when I saw who it was.

“Puck, can I have my phone?” My mom asked.

“Oh, um yeah,” I say, opening the door and heading to the entrance.

Why was my dad calling for? I thought.

I shrug the thought off and head towards the library.

I'm surprised to see Gracie there, clacking away on the computer.

”Hey,” I say coolly.

She turns around, smiling. “Hey Puck.”

“Hi, what are you working on?”

“Oh, just some dumb book report for English,”

“Ah, what book?”

“Romeo and Juliet,”

“You read Shakespeare?”

“A little,” she shrugs, adding, “I don’t look like the type of person that’s into that do I?”

“Honestly, no,” I say. “But I admire your love for the arts.”

“Thank you,”

“Do you need anything?”

“Just you,”

I smile. “Well, here I am.”

She giggles, and logs off the computer.

“I guess I’ll see you in second period,” she says, walking out the library doors.

Hey, lovebird, you’re gonna be late for class.

All I want is one day of no comment from you. I thought.

I’ll take it into consideration, Okay I’ve considered. The answer is no.

Whatever.

First period isn’t fun at all. We did grammar the whole time. I felt like I was going to implode from boredom.

You should write a poem about boredom

That’s not a bad idea, actually.

See, I can have good ideas.

Rarely.

After a painstakingly long time of writing poems, it’s finally second period. I walk in, noticing James smirking at me. I know your secret. He mouthed.

Great. That’s gonna be fun to deal with in technology. I thought and sat down.

Gracie walks in seconds later, seeming flustered.

“Hey,” I smiled. “What did Lexie do this time?”

“How’d you know?”

“I just know,”

“Puck, you surprise me every day,”

“That’s one of the things I can do,”

She smiles and shakes her head, forgetting her previous anger towards Lexie.

“Puck, is there something you and Gracie want to share with the class?”

Gracie blushed. “We were just-“

“Talking about a math question,” I said calmly.

“Oh, well, I appreciate the help, but I’m the teacher,” Mrs. Trinny said. “Gracie if you have a question, ask me, not him. I know he’s one of the more intelligent kids, but he doesn’t know everything.”

“Okay.”

After a short lesson on things I already knew, the bell rang, and went to third period, technology.

“Hey Puck, over here!” James called, though it seemed more like a command than a request.

I have a bad feeling about this. I thought.

Stop quoting Star Wars. My conscience whined.

Time to finish what you started. I think, quoting Kylo Ren.

Let’s just get this over with.

Okay.

“Hey James,”

“Sup?”

“Eh, could be better,”

“How’s your girlfriend doing? You two sure were chatty in math class,”

“We’re not—it’s not like that,” I say, not yet at least.

“Oh really?” James smiled.

“Yeah. Really,”

“Whatever man, just remember, you’re on thin ice,”

Oh great. I sighed, realizing that we have a project that is due in a few weeks.

The rest of the class, we disassemble a bunch of electronic stuff.

Gracie

Wednesday

School

After a long period of study hall, it’s finally lunch time. I quickly bought my lunch and went outside, not feeling up to a fight with Lexie. Instead, I text Puck.

Me: hey, would you mind sitting outside today? I’m feeling kinda down.

Puck: Yeah, Sure. I am too. ):

I smiled, despite my gloomy mood.

A few minutes later, Puck comes out of the door, holding his lunch as well as two cokes.

“I’ve heard somewhere that coke is the best cure for anything,” He said, handing me one.

“Well,” I said, taking a sip of the sweet, bubbly liquid. “They were right.”

“I feel like you’re the only friend I have left,”

“I would rather have the whole world against me than be without you,” Puck said, taking my hand. “C’mon, I gotta show you something,” He says, leading me up the stairs.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“You’ll see,” He says.

A few minutes later, we reached the door to the roof. Puck fumbles around a bit, and grabs a small silver object.

“What’s that?”

“A key,” He shrugged.

How did he get a key to the roof? I thought as he unlocked the door. I followed him out, seeing two folding chairs not far away.

“Puck, you are a man of many surprises,”

I guess I’m not the only one that can host a romantic moment on a roof. I thought as he offered me a chair.

“You’re the first person besides me that’s been up here,”

“Doesn’t the janitor get access?”

“Yeah. The school has inspections once every two years,” he shrugs. “I just move my stuff to a storage closet.”

Wait, does this mean Puck isn't a total ‘goodie two shoes’? I thought.

“If you are wondering, I didn't didn't take the key,”

“I wasn’t, but that's good to know,”

“Cool,” he said.

There was a faint ringing in the distance.

“Shoot, that’s the bell!” I exclaimed, and hurried towards the door.

“I’ll be there in a bit,” Puck said, frantically putting the folding furniture away and hiding it. “Cover for me if I’m late,”

“Okay,” I said, walked through the door, and closed it behind me.

How do I cover for someone who is never late? I thought as I walked in the classroom. I choose the seat farthest from Lexie as possible. This means sitting in the very front, or as I like to call it; death row. I come up with scenarios in my head of why Puck could possibly be late. I only come up with one, and it’s not even that realistic. As the clock ticks closer to the start of fourth period, I’m tweaking the excuse to be more believable.

Five seconds till the bell…

Four…

Three…

Two…

One…

BRRRRIIINNNGG!

“Good afternoon class,” Mrs.Hoffman said.

“Good afternoon,”

“How’s everyone doing today?”

There was a few groans from the class.

“Oh c’mon, it can’t be that bad. It’s only Wednesday!” Mrs. Hoffman exclaimed. “Now, let's take attendance,”

She called in alphabetical order from last name.

Shoot. Puck’s last name starts with an A. I thought.

“Where’s Puck?”

“He lost his contacts,” I say.

“I didn’t know he wore contacts,”

“He got them a week ago,”

“Okay,” Mrs. Hoffman said, “Do you wanna text him and tell him to come back?”

“Sure,” I say, pulling out my phone.

Me: just FYI, you’re looking for contacts.

Puck: k. Thx. B there in 2 mins.

He walks in a few minutes later, and takes a seat next to me.

“Sorry I’m late Mrs. Hoffman. I really don’t like losing my contacts,” He says.

“It’s okay, just tell me next time,”

“I will,”

The rest of the period and the next period goes by in a breeze. One more period of this miserable day. After dressing out, I enter the gym. It looks different from last night. I thought, remembering Lexie was elected homecoming queen.

“Listen up,” Coach T said. “Today we are going to run the mile.”

Almost the whole class groaned.

Why do we have to run today? I thought as we headed towards the track.

Could be worse, my conscience interjected. You could be doing the pacer test.

True. I think.

“Okay, boys, you’ll run first, girls, you’ll go tomorrow, so be ready,” Coach T said.

As the boys start running, we get in a line to cheer them on. Puck is a few feet ahead of the rest of the runners. I wanted to yell out, “Go Puck! Good job!” But, it would just put me at odds with Lexie, so I stayed silent and gave a high five to all the boys.

Puck

Wednesday

School

I ran the last stretch of the mile, smiling at Gracie as I crossed the white line.

“What’s my time coach?” I asked.

“Geez kid! That’s fast,” Coach said. “Six minutes and forty-three seconds! See me after class.”

I walk towards Gracie, noticing how the sunlight reflects her blonde hair.

“What, no shocked out of your mind look?”

“I just assumed it was one of the things you can do,” Gracie grinned. “What time did you get?”

“Six minutes and forty-three seconds,” I shrugged.

“That’s. Um. Wow,” Gracie says.

“There’s the shocked face!” I chuckled.

“Good job, I wish I could run that fast,”

“Maybe someday you will,”

“What did Coach want?”

“He told me to see him after school,”

“Cool,”

I looked at the track, rolling my eyes when I saw Dylan, walking the track. He was the last person on the track, so we all stood around until he finished. By the time that happened, it was time to go inside and change.

“Coach, you wanted to see me?” I said, stepping into his office.

“Puck! Hi, have a seat,”

“Am I in trouble?”

“No, no, not at all,” he shook his head. “Have you ever been on a track team?”

“No,”

“Well I would like you to join our team. Tryouts aren’t till next year, but there’s a big chance that you will get in,”

“Okay, thanks Coach,”

“Yeah, don't mention it,” I say, getting up and walking out towards the entrance.

I got in the car, looking back to see if Gracie was there. She wasn't.

“How was your day, sweetie?”

“Eh, it was good,”

My mom let out a nervous sigh.

“What's wrong?” I asked.

“Oh it's nothing,”

“I can tell when you're lying, mom,”

“I can tell when you’re lying too,”

“What do you mean?” I asked, knowing exactly what she was referring to.

“You look drained,”

“I had gym and we ran the mile,” I shrugged.

“No I don’t think that’s it,” she says. When I don’t respond, she adds, “You look emotionally drained. Did something happen at school?”

“No, mom I’m fine,” I say.

“If you say so,”

The rest of the drive is silent.

After I do my homework, I play Destiny 2. Mason’s gamer tag is on, but he doesn’t invite me, and I delete him from my friend list. I play a few rounds, and then I eat dinner. At about eight thirty, the doorbell rang. I hear the door open from my room.

“John!” My mom said in a surprised way. “I thought I told you not to come here.”

“I know, I know, but there’s something on my mind that I can’t wait for,”

Okay, go ahead,”

“You might wanna sit down for this,”

“Okay,” she said, her heels clacking on the wood floor.

What is going on? I thought and paused my game.

Let’s find out. My conscience suggested.

I slowly inched towards the stairs, pausing to make sure they couldn’t hear me.

“Tell me, what is it?”

“It’s better if I just show you,”

“Okay then,”

There’s some scuttling, like a rustle of fabric.

“I know I’ve made some mistakes, and I understand if you aren’t ready for this,”

have to get a look at what’s happening. ​I think, creeping slowly up the stairs.
No. That’s the number one rule of eavesdropping. ​My conscience informed me.
Fine.

“Jennifer Rose Anderson,” My dad said. “Will you take my hand in marriage?”

Marriage? I thought. Is this some kind of twisted dream?

Sorry, but no. My conscience sighed.

Please don’t say yes. Please. I thought.

“A few weeks ago, I would’ve slapped you for thinking about marriage,” My mom said. “But now, and throughout this past week I can see that you’ve changed.”

“Thank you, I just hope Puck sees that,”

Not likely. Not after you left us. I think bitterly.

“So, my answer is yes,” my mom squealed.

No, No, NO! I thought as I grabbed my shoes and phone. This can’t be happening. I can’t stay in this house with him.

I quickly text Gracie, telling her I’m on my way over. Then I sneak out the back door, run to the front, and grab my mom’s bike, because it has a motor on it. I mount the bike, and start pedaling. The grey sky is bleak and dreary ahead of me, but it’s still better than what’s happening in my house. It starts to rain, slowly at first, then a torrential downpour. I can barely see, because I realize I’m crying, making my vision blurry. I ride like this for a while, not paying attention to my surroundings. When I finally opened my eyes, I tried to pull my brakes, but they did nothing against the slippery road. My last thought before I collided with the car was, my moms gonna kill me.

Chapter eleven

Gracie

Wednesday

Home

It sure is raining hard. I thought as I sat in my room.

Puck will be here any minute, and you’re gonna look like that? My conscience criticized.

What’s wrong with skinny jeans and a tank-top? I thought.

Never mind.

The sound of sirens snapped me into focus. I text Puck, asking him why he’s coming over, and he doesn’t respond.

This isn’t like him, usually he would respond back in seconds. I thought. Maybe his phone is off.

I send a few more messages, none of them get a reply.

My house isn’t that far from his, so I don’t know what’s taking so long.

The sirens get closer, pretty soon I could see flashing lights off of the back of houses.

Wait. He couldn’t be in that. Could he? Please no. Please. I thought, sending Puck a few more text messages. No reply. What if he’s—no. I won’t think that way. Still, I have to know he’s okay. I thought as I put my coat on and slipped on my converse. My mom was on another one of her ‘dates’. As I walked to the flashing lights, I noticed the hum of the lamppost is synchronized with my heartbeat. By the time I get to the cop cars, I’m drenched and chilly.

“Excuse me officer?” I said in a shaky voice, not only because of the cold. “What’s going on?”

“Who are you?” The officer.

“I’m Gracie Adams sir,”

“What’s your relation to this situation?”

“I’m his girlfriend—friend girl,”

“Do you know where his parents are?”

“I think so,” I say, “When can I see him?”

“After he gets to the hospital and his parents know he’s okay,”

I wanted to scream, I wanted to whine, I wanted to hit something. Instead, I got in the officer’s patrol car, told him the directions, put my head in my hands, and cried.

Half an hour later, Puck’s family and I are sitting in the waiting room. They’re in quieted conversation, and I inadvertently hear some of what they’re saying.

“You keep the ring for a while,” Mrs. Anderson said.

“I just don’t understand, why did he just leave all of a sudden?” Mr. Anderson said.

It’s all my fault. I realized. If I hadn’t quit the team, I wouldn’t even be home right now.

“Miss? Are you okay?” Mrs. Anderson asked, handing me a box of tissues.

I didn’t even realize I was crying, but I gratefully take it.

“Mr. and Mrs. Anderson?” The nurse said. “Your son is unconscious, he suffered some minor head injuries, a broken right arm, and a sprained left leg.”

“Oh my goodness that’s terrible!” Mrs. Anderson exclaimed.

“He will be fine with rest, medicine and time,” the nurse assured the parents. “But he’s gonna have to stay here for a few more days. Is that okay with you?”

“Whatever makes our son well,” Mr. Anderson said.

“Well then, right this way please,”

A few more days. What have I done? I thought, putting my head in my hands again. I fall asleep a little while later.

Thursday

Home

I woke up in my bed, not knowing how I got there. I recollect the events of last night, then I look at my clock. It’s eight thirty. I have to get to Puck! I thought, throwing my sheets to the side. Freezing cold air greeted me. On second thought, I’ll just stay in bed. I thought, pulling the covers back on. But the chill doesn’t go away.

“Gracie,” My mom called from downstairs. “What do you want for breakfast?”

“Iced coffee!” I yelled. “And a doughnut,”

“Okay!” She said. “I’ll be back soon!”

After a few minutes of no movement in the house, I get out of bed and grab a housecoat. Then I sluggishly walk downstairs. After getting a granola bar and a pop tart, I swallow an aspirin. Then I go back upstairs, grab a dry coat and two jackets, and get my phone. Surprisingly, it didn't get drenched with my coat. Unsurprisingly, it was at fifteen percent. I use two percent of that to text my mom, telling her to get some aspirins. I also text Emma, hoping that we are still friends.

Me: can u pick me up and drive me somewhere?

Emma: y? Isn't your mom home?

Me: no.

Emma: oh. I will, if you help me blackmail Lexie.

Me: yeah, whatever. Just hurry.

Emma: k.

Once again it takes her about five minutes to get here, and I get in telling her where to go.

“What do you need to go to the hospital for?”

“More like, who,” I corrected.

“Ah, What’s he there for?”

“He crashed his bike into the side of a car.”

“Oh my gosh, when was this?”

“Last night,”

“Oh Gracie…”

“I’m fine.”

“No. You’re not,” she said, concerned. “You’re lovesick!”

“Maybe I am, just don’t make it a big deal, okay?”

“On it,” she said, and slammed the gas pedal.

“Wh—Emma slow down!—what are you doing?! You’re gonna get us killed!”

Emma ignores my pleas, weaving in and out of the lanes, only touching the brakes for red lights.

I’m gonna die. I thought, and closed my eyes. A few minutes later, Emma says, “We’re here.”

I take my pale hand off the overhead car handle. I watch as my hand goes back to its normal color.

“You coming?” Emma asked.

“Yeah,” I said, getting out of the cold air.

Emma talks to the clerk at the front desk, and a few minutes later, a nurse guides us to his room.

“I’ll leave you two alone,” Emma said. “Text me when you need a ride home.”

“Okay, thanks,” I say, looking over at Puck.

“Puck, I know you’re unconscious or whatever,” I say. “But in case you’re somehow listening…”

I take a slow breath.

“Last night, when you crashed, I saw you, I felt something I felt something I’ve never felt before,” I scoot closer to the hospital bed, taking his cold hand. “Puck Anderson, I’m in love with you.”

Puck (subconscious)

Thursday

Hospital

Two minutes earlier

I’m falling, but it feels like I’m floating. There’s a distorted beeping noise, almost like an alarm. I feel numb. I can’t open my eyes, it’s like I’m not even in my body. I just exist. A voice cuts through my thoughts, reverberating in my sluggish, mental cage. It’s so soft I can hardly make it out. I slowly realize it’s Gracie. I try to open my eyes, but my brain is too slow. She says something again, and suddenly I see her. A blinding light in my mental sea of darkness. I don’t grasp that I’m drowning until I see how high up she is. Even though it’s a dream, it’s hard to compare to reality. What’s even worse, I collect that sea I am in is the sea of death; the more I struggled, the farther I fell.

Gracie

Thursday

Hospital

He looks so...empty. I thought, hearing the heart monitor beep methodically. Then, the beep loses speed, getting dangerously low. “No, no, Puck! Hold on! I can’t lose you too!” I sob, putting my arms around him.

Puck (subconscious)

Thursday

Hospital

On top of the beeping noise, there’s now a annoying ringing sound. There’s also a warm feeling. I’m engulfed in water. I hear Gracie’s voice, a beacon in this dark void. Once again, I’m pulled deeper under the crazily realistic water. Suddenly, the warmth gives me strength, and I swim to the surface. Then, my eyes open to greet the world. Soon, as they often do, they find Gracie’s eyes.

“Hey,” I say managing a feeble smile.

“Puck? Omg! You’re alive!”

How long has she been here? I thought.

“Of course I’m alive,” I say, working up my strength and courage. “Come closer, I need to tell you something.”

She leans her head towards me, tilting it to the side so I can whisper in her ear.

“I love you,”

“I love you too,” she says, and pulls her head back to where it was.

There’s an awkward silence for a moment, then Gracie says,

“Puck, I thought I’d lost you,” she says in slow breaths. “And I couldn’t, I just—I”

Before she can say another word, Our lips are touching, and the world fades away. Just the two of us. My chapped lips and her rosemary scented, smooth, perfect unchapped lips.

Puck

Wednesday

Near Gracie’s house

One day earlier

My moms gonna kill me. I thought as I collided with the blue Honda Odyssey . Somehow I end up on the ground, my bike a few feet away. I lie there, unable to get up, looking at the stars, remembering the night I almost kissed Gracie. I love you Gracie. I thought. As I lie there, the rain continues to pour. I hear sirens in the distance, getting closer. I try to stand up, but a sharp pain shoots up my leg.

“Sir, can you tell me your name?”

I mumble my name as I’m put on a stretcher.

Too bright. I thought, blurry faces look over me. Someone turn off the lights. I squinted, one of the blurry heads moved, and the light goes out. That’s better. Alright I’m just gonna take a nap. Goodnight.

Gracie

Thursday

Hospital

The kiss was so sudden and unexpected, I didn’t have time to react. Neither one of us wanted to pull away, because the moment is just too sweet. When we finally did pull away, I said,

“I’ve been wanting to do that since the party,”

“Me too,” he said, and blushed. “You’re a good kisser.”

“You’re not that bad yourself,” I reply.

“Ugh, nerd love,” Lexie scoffs.

“Lexie!” I say, surprised. “How long have you been standing there?”

“Does it matter?”

I stay where I am, not giving in to the social standard of what’s acceptable.

“Why are you here?”

“I could ask you the same thing,” Lexie responds, crossing her arms.

“I’m here for my boyfriend, who I might add, almost died.”

She snorts.

“Hey at least I have a boyfriend!”

“Not much of one, by the looks of it,”

Puck darts his head back and forth between us.

“Oh, and just to let you know, I’m having a party Friday night, and it’s going to be way better than yours.”

“Whatever.”

“Can you two be quiet? I think I might have a headache.”

Lexie shakes her head and leaves.

“What was that all about?” Puck asked.

“You,” I shrugged.

“Question,” He smiled. “What if we were to crash Lexie’s party?”

“She would totally flip!”

“Well, I get out tomorrow, wanna meet at your place?”

“Sure,” I say. “I’ll text you the details,”

“Okay,” He smiled warmly. “Sounds good.”

“Yeah,”

“Shoot! A nurse is coming, gotta go miraculously wake up, again.”

I took that as my cue to leave.

Emma’s car

Thursday

“So, How’d it go?” Emma asked.

“He’s awake,” I said, hoping to keep the topic general.

“Well that’s good,” she paused. “What did you two talk about?”

“My lips are sealed,” I say.

Haha! Good one! My conscience chuckled.

All silliness aside, I wasn’t expecting him to kiss me. I think to myself, realizing how close to home I am, and that I should probably see if my mom’s car is in the driveway. When we get closer, it’s not there. Instead, there’s a red corvette stingray. The engine’s still humming as I walk past, fish my key out of my pocket, and put it in the keyhole. I’m surprised to find out, it’s already unlocked.

That’s odd, I thought I locked that when I left.

“Hello?” I called out, scolding myself for how stupid I sounded. I crept into the kitchen, hoping to grab a weapon of some kind.

A fork? I thought.

No try something more pointy. My conscience said, steering me towards the kitchen knife.

I’m not using that! It’s too violent.

Whatever.

Besides, I think there’s some pepper spray in the drawer. I open the drawer, hastily grabbing the pepper spray. Okay, I’m armed, lets go.

I headed towards the living room. There was a man with tousled hair sitting in the reading chair. Sort of like a muscular version of Harry Styles.

“What are you doing in my house?” I asked, holding the pepper spray in his direction.

“Technically it’s your mom’s house,” he says quickly. “And I’m her boyfriend. Quite frankly, I’m surprised she hasn’t told you about me.”

I asked her to stop telling me about her dates after the fifteenth guy. I think to myself.

“No,” I reply, “and you still haven’t answered my question. Why are you here?”

“Your mom got stuck in traffic, so she asked me to check on you,” meeting his blue eyes with mine. “So you can imagine my surprise when you weren’t in bed.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were coming, otherwise I would’ve left a note,” I shrugged. “Why didn’t you go look for me?”

“I have a teenage daughter of my own, I know you girls like to party, no matter what.”

You haven’t even asked for his name. My conscience pointed out.

I’m getting to that. I replied to my mental conversation.

“What’s your name?”

“You can call me Rick.”

“Okay.”

“Are you feeling better?”

“Yeah,” I say, holding in a cough.

“Well I’m gonna make lunch soon.”

“I already ate,” I shrugged. “Besides, it’s two hours past lunch time.”

Also, I’m feeling drowsy from the Aspirin I took this morning. I thought as I went upstairs.

Chapter twelve

Puck

Hospital

Thursday

I wake up (for the second time) to my mother and father’s heads over me.

“Hey sweetie, how you feeling?” my mom asks.

“Good.”

“Where were you going?” my mom said gently. “When you crashed.”

I take a deep breath before saying, “I know about the ring.”

My dad gave an unsure look to my mom. They don't say anything, so I continue.

“I heard your conversation, and I just couldn't do anything about it, and I…” I stopped, the words catching in my throat.

“Its okay,” my mom said.

“Where were you going?” my dad intervened.

“And be honest for once,” my mom glared at me.

I've got a bad feeling about this. I thought

Is there ever a time you don't quote star wars? My conscience grumbled.

“I was going to a friend’s house,”

“Which friend?” my mom raised an eyebrow.

“Mom, please don't get mad,” I say, expecting a whole barrage of words after this. “But I’m kinda-sorta dating this girl, and…” I trailed off.

“Puck, I just told you to be honest. Now tell me the truth.”

“I just did!”

“Don't raise your tone!” my mom yelled.

“Hey, we’re all just a little tense, that's all. Honey, can I talk to you for a sec?”
“Yeah, fine.”

I wish I could eavesdrop, but they’re too far away.

You have a problem. My conscience said.

I know I do, now bug off! I think, irritated.

My parents came back a few minutes later, seeming more calm.

“Your father and I have decided to continue dating this girl,” my mom paused. “As long as you tell us before you sneak off.”

Not telling you is the point of sneaking off. I think.

“No more secrets,” my mom said.

“No more secrets,” I agreed.

Liar! My conscience yells.

They’re not ready for that.

“You get out tomorrow.”

“Yeah.”

Friday

The back of my mom’s car

(mid-day)

Even though my parents agreed to let me date, there's a silence throughout the car ride. That means I was left with my conscience.

Hey, I’m not that bad.

Yes you are.

It stays silent for a while, then i think, i wish somebody would turn the radio on.

Im sure if you stare at it long enough, it’ll turn on.

I stare at the radio so intently, you’d think I’d never seen one.

Ha ha! You look like the biggest idiot I ever knew!

I’m the only big idiot you know.

Then my conscience and I get into an argument on all the things that entitle someone to ‘biggest idiot’. The idiotic thing is, he won.

Home

Friday

“Do you need help getting downstairs?” my mom asked

“No,” I sigh, realizing this would be the new norm.

As i walk to my room, I notice how different it is from that rainy dark day. My stuff is now neatly packed away as if nothing happened. As if i never left. I thought. On my desk was a shrine of get well cards, even some flowers. I counted them. Seventeen. I don't even have that many friends. I smile. I gotta text them and say thank you.

I reach for my jeans pocket, surprised when I don't feel the low hum of my phone.

“Mom? Where's my phone?”

“I'm afraid it didn't survive the crash,” she handed the phone to me.

It was water streaked, and had a spiderweb crack on the screen.

“I'm sorry,”

“Don't be, it's my stupid fault,” I say, throwing the phone away.

“I’ve got this old blackberry if you want,”

“Okay yeah sure,”

Wait the party! I thought.

“Mom!”

“Yes sweetheart?”

“Can I go to a party?”

“I guess it doesn’t matter what I say does it?”

“Uh,” I just stand there awkwardly.

“You can go,” My mom waves me off. “Just come back here after. And bring your girlfriend, she’s nice.”

“Okay,” I say smiling and going to my room to get ready.

We reach The Adam’s house, I remember dancing with Gracie. That seemed like eons ago. I spot her sitting on a porch swing, playing with her hair.

“Go get her, Romeo,” my dad says. They were going on date night.

I nod and smiled. Well, here goes nothing,

My conscience, never missing a chance to butt in, says, Actually here goes everything.

You’re not helping.

You’re welcome! Anytime!

“Hey, how are you?” I ask, her golden hair is in a messy bun.

“Glad you’re here,” she smiles. “You look-“

“Not as good as you,” I say as she stands up. I take in her bubble gum lipstick, white floral dress, and auburn colored boots.

“So, let's go crash a party.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

Gracie

Lexie’s house

Friday

We arrived at Lexie’s (via my mom’s GMC.) at six-thirty.

“When you said she lived in a mansion, you weren’t kidding,”

“Yeah, it’s a lot to take in the first time around,” I say having been here a thousand times. “C’mon we’ve got a party to crash.”

“I know it was my idea, but how do we crash a party exactly?”

I swivel my head to his insanely beautiful eyes. “You don’t go to parties much do you?”

“Not really.”

I smiled as we walked through the door.

“I'm gonna go get us something to drink,” I say. “Do you want to stay here or…” I trail off, seeing Lexie in her homecoming dress with a sash that said homecoming queen on it. I don't know why, but suddenly I was mad and wanted to punch the nearest wall.

It would probably break your arm. My conscience advised. But at least your cast would match Puck’s.

Shut up. I clenched a fist.

“Hey, hey, easy,” Puck says, putting his hand on my exposed shoulder. It makes me shiver.

“Thanks,” I turn and face him and smile.

“We came here for a good time, so let's go have a good time,”

“Yeah okay,”

“May I have this dance?”

I smile, remembering the scene in a walk to remember. The date scene.

“Yes.”

I giggle as Puck does. a quirky version of the robot. I soon join him, aware of the millions of eyes watching us.

“What are eyes but a curtain to the soul?” Puck asked, as if he read my mind.

Dang that's deep. I thought. I take in his soft shoulders, and deep blue eyes. Where does he find this stuff?

“The internet” he whispers. “I read quotes as a hobby.”

My whole body tingles.

“I love you,” I say, pulling him in for a kiss.

“Well if it isn’t the nerdiest couple on the planet,” Lexie says in a bratty tone. She’s in a leather jacket and the pink dress from homecoming.

She’s rocking that look, I scowl, hating every bone in my body for thinking it.

Puck

Lexie’s house

Friday

What is she doing here? I thought.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that it’s HER party. My conscience chided.

Oh right. I thought.

I swear this girl is affecting your focus.

But she was about to kiss me! I protested.

Yeah, it’s all you could think about.

No it’s not!

Oh really? Here’s a question, who is the first president of France?

How should I know?. I blinked, Man I have a problem.

A snotty voice interrupted my latest revelation.

“Why are you here?” The voice belonged to Lexie

“Because you practically begged us to!” Gracie yelled.

“Are you kidding? When?” Lexie shrugged. “Oh that’s right. At the mental hospital for computer nerds.”

“I love what you’ve done with your hair. How do you get it to come out of the nostrils like that?” I say, not liking the fact that I just got insulted.

“C’mon Puck, lets go,” Gracie said gently. Her touch snapped me out of my rage.

“Okay,”  I said as we went to the door.

“Thanks for the help back there,”

“Yeah, no problem,” I shrugged. “It’s what boyfriends do.”

She smiles weakly, and has a far-away look in her eyes.

“Sorry I didn’t mean to spring that on you,” I said quickly.

“No, it’s okay, I want to be your girlfriend, it’s just…”

Uh-oh here it is...brace for impact…

“Lets go this way” Gracie paused, motioning to the courtyard.

I follow her into the beautiful courtyard, noticing how big it is.

“I lost my dad a when I was young,” Gracie meets my eyes with her blue eyes. “I thought I would lose you too.”

We stopped at a nearby gazebo, the track lights gleam on Gracie’s warm golden bun, making her radiate beauty.

“Gracie, you know you could never lose me, right?” I say, holding her gaze and turning to face her. “I’ll always be right here.”

“That’s exactly what he said,” Gracie sniffled.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t know,” I pull Gracie into a hug.

My phone buzzes, but I ignore it. All I wanted to do was be here with her.

“Aren’t you gonna answer that?” Gracie asked.

You should. Listen to her loverboy. My conscience advised.

Don’t call me that. I sighed as I pulled the old blackberry how do I work this thing? I stared at the nineteen-nineties contraption.

“You click the green telephone thingie,” Gracie chuckled softly.

I did, putting it to my ear.

“Hi mom.”

“I just wanted to let you know we might not be home when you arrive.”

“Ok.”

“How’s the party?”

“Good,” I lie.

“Well, good. Love you!”

“Love you too,” I say, lowering the phone. “How do I hang up?”

“You press the red telephone thingie.”

“Ok.”

“Apparently I’m more tech savvy than my boyfriend,” Gracie smiles.

“This thing is literally ancient.”

“Excuses, excuses.”

“I love you.”

“I love you more.”

“How about we go to my house?”

“Sure,” Gracie shrugged.

“Okay,”

Puck

Home

Friday

“Apparently we have the place to ourselves,” I say.

“What do you want to do?”

“It’s your choice.”

“We could watch a movie,” she shrugged.

“What movie?” I asked.

“I’ll leave that for you to decide.”

“Ok,” I go through the cases of dvds, and find A Quiet Place, No Country for Old Men, Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties, Kung Fu Panda, Cloverfield, The Forgotten, Apollo 13, Toy Story 2,  Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, The Lego Movie, and Zombies.

Wow, I didn’t even know my dad owned these many movies. As usual, my conscience has something to say.

Really? I did. I think finally knowing something my conscience doesn’t

Since when?

Since now. I didn’t know he had A Quiet Place. That’s recent.

You’re right. it is. I pull A Quiet Place out, reading the overview

I’m always right.

Ha! That’s not true! I put A Quiet Place back.

Really? When was I wrong? My conscience asked.

I start to think of an answer, but realize I’m arguing with my mind. Never mind, it doesn’t matter

I hastily pick The Lego Movie.

That idea is just the worst. My conscience chided.

Oh shut up.

But I have many better movie ideas!

Like what?

Big Hero 6.

OH PLEASE. I roll my eyes as I put the Zombies disc in. Besides, Gracie’s been waiting long enough.

“All set?” Gracie asked. She pulls at her bun until it comes loose and rests on her shoulders.

“Yeah,” I smile. “I like your hair like that.”

“Aww thanks,” she puts her hand in mine. “You’re pretty cute yourself.”

“I know it’s a Disney movie, but it’s a good one,” I say as the Disney logo appears on the screen.

“That’s okay,” she scoots closer to me, our legs touching. “I haven’t seen a Disney movie in awhile.”

Gracie

Puck’s house

Friday

“I haven’t seen a Disney movie in awhile,” my leg tingles as we touch.

Correction, ‘I haven’t seen a Disney movie in forever’. My conscience reminded me.

It’s the thought that counts.

I rest my head on his shoulder, taking in his earthy scent.

I wonder what fragrance that is. I thought as the dvd menu popped up.

Zombies? This better not be a horror movie.

It wasn’t a horror movie. It was a romance, and a cheesy one at that.

“So, what now?” I ask.

He shrugs and looks at his watch. “Dang I didn’t know it was this late.”

I pull my phone out and check the time. “Guess so.”

Just like the cafe a week ago, I don’t want the moment to end.

“Are you hungry?” Puck asks, opening the fridge.

“What do you have?”

“Some leftover pizza, chicken salad, and tacos,”

Pizza has too much cheese, and tacos are too messy.

“Chicken salad sounds good,” I say, knowing I should probably watch my calories.

“Chicken salad it is,”  he said, pulling a bowl and a plate out of the fridge.

Why do guys like pizza so much?  I thought.

Because they’re stupid and idiotic, not to mention shallow.

You have to ruin the moment.

It’s what I live for.

Oh shut up.

My Mom came to pick me up at eight thirty. I gave puck a quick hug before walking to the car.

“So, how was your date?”

“It was good,” I shrugged.

“Just good?”

“No I mean he was great, but the location wasn’t ideal.”

“Oh? Where’d you go?”

“Lexie’s house, she had a party. I guess she wanted to gloat about being homecoming queen.”

“Yikes. That sounds like a bad day.”

“Puck made it worthwhile.”

“He’s a good boyfriend.”

“Yes he is.”

Two months later

Puck

Saturday

Pucks parents wedding

I can’t believe this is happening. I thought.

Deep breaths. My conscience Oh, and don’t do anything stupid.

Thanks for the sort of encouraging advice. I paced back and forth in my navy blue blazer, slacks, and bow tie.

“Someone’s nervous,” my aunt Tess says, grabbing my hand and sliding me a twenty dollar bill.

“Aunt Tess!” I exclaim and give her a hug. “I haven’t seen you in a while! How have you been?”

“Oh, you know, same old, same old,” she shrugged.

“Are you still writing that novel you were telling me about?”

“It’s complicated,” she half chuckles, half sighs.

“Well send me a copy when ‘it’s complicated’ turns into a bestseller,”

“Okay, I will,” she smiles. “How’s school going?”

“Good,”

“I forgot how generic teenage answers could be,”

I look at my watch. “I should go to my seat.”

“And I should take my place as maid of honor,”

“See you at the reception?”

“Yeah see you then,” she pauses and adds, “and can you keep an eye on my kids? My husband couldn’t make it.”

“Sure,”

I walked down the aisle,  scooting into the spot next to Emily and Charles.

A while later, I hadn’t realized I had zoned out.

Apparently I had tuned out everything except the ‘You may now kiss the bride,’ part.

Someday that’ll be me. I thought.

I had this faraway look in my eyes. I was imagining Gracie in a wedding gown. I smiled and looked at Emily and Charles. Their lives were so simple. Free to run wild, no worries of what tomorrow brings.

Chapter thirteen

Gracie

Wednesday

Pucks house

(A week later)

It was game night, again. This was the fourth game night we’ve had. I’ve only had one victory.

“Hey,” Puck said, touching my arm. “Sorry you lost tonight.”

“You ready for our date?”

“Yeah,”

I can’t believe we are going on our first date!

Well technically it’s your second date, my conscience added

Whatever. Don’t ruin the moment.

But it’s what I live for.

Just this once?

Fine.

Mrs.Anderson drives us to That Italian Place. Meanwhile, Puck looks at the menu. I play Color Switch on my phone.

Puck leans over and says, “What are you in the mood for?”

“Umm I don’t know,” I shrug. “Surprise me.”

“Pasta for two it is,”

“What? No. No ordering for two. That leads to kissing, which leads to making out, which leads to…” Mrs. Anderson shudders.

“Mom!” Puck says, embarrassment visible on his face.

I smiled.

When we arrived our table was already set up, complete with a rose petal path leading to a secluded area and dimly lit candles, and surprisingly, a violinist.

“When did you have time to do this?”

“I made a reservation,”

“How long have you planned this?”

“Since the day I met you.”

This must’ve been expensive. I thought. I wish I had money to pay him back.

You did, you spent it on ‘the latest Louis Vuitton bag or whatever. My conscience annoyingly points out.

Shut up. Right now.

“Do you like it?” Puck asks, offering me a seat.

“I love it,” I touch his arm. “But not as much as I love you.”

He smiles. “You and me.”

“You and me.”

End of book one: Totally in Sync

Wanna hear Lexie’s and Mason’s side of the story? Stay tuned for Totally in Love, coming soon!