trials and tribulations | Teen Ink

trials and tribulations

If there was one thing Ariana Tyler had to admit about herself, it would have to be that she could never find the right person to love. Now that may sound like something straight out of a cheesy romantic comedy but it was true. She had been burned by many men that she couldn’t even keep track anymore. Her past lovers only saw her as fragile and ready to break at any moment but that wasn’t who she was on the inside. If only she could she reveal that on the outside.

Her last breakup really took a toll her on. Though he had never laid a hand on her, his verbal jabs wounded her. When Jared was around Ariana, he was sweet and caring as any boyfriend should. But around his friends he wiped away his facade and showed his true colors. Maybe his rudeness was something he used to fit in with the other jocks and frat boys when he was in college or high school. Or maybe, just maybe, it was something that he was naturally born with. Ariana could never tell because Jared really never let her in on his deep and personal past.

He would call out and make inappropriate comments about her and Ariana just let it happen. Her friends, Iris and Jane, told her many times to end the relationship but Ariana never could. There was only thing that kept Ariana with Jared, The money. Ariana would never consider herself a gold digger but Jared would buy her things without any notice. But Ariana could see that the gifts were just another facade to hide his true self and say sorry for what he had done.

She could still remember the night she finally broke the relationship off. The yelling bounced off Ariana’s white loft brick walls. The things Jared had called her wounded her. She could tell that Jared had one too many drinks that night. Pool of tears formed in her eyes but Jared’s were stained with rage and anger. She clenched her fists and finally let them as she said the 2 words that set her free from this toxic relationship.

“WE'RE OVER!”

Jared looked at her for a moment and finally broke down. She had only seen him like this when he was he was drunk. Ariana didn’t have time for this. With the slam of the door and steps of Jared’s shoes, she was finally free of him.

The next two weeks were what a usual breakup aftermath would be: Ice Cream, romantic comedies, and tissues. Well, in Ariana’s case the ice cream would chips and the romantic comedies would be a Bobs Burgers marathon. She wouldn’t usually cry over a guy like this but the relationship had lasted longer than expected. She reached more chips out of the bag and she had no plan on stopping. It wasn’t until there was a knock on her door that she got from her comfortable spot on the couch. Ariana turned the cold steel doorknob to find her friends, Iris and Ally, standing on the other side.

“Did you really think we were let sit on your ass for a whole year did you?” Iris questioned.

“Actually, yes” Ariana answers sarcastically. She drags her feet against the floor as her two friend follow behind her.

“When was the last time you even attempted to get up from this spot?” Ally asked sitting down next to Ariana on her right.

“Well, I did need to get some more food” Ariana replied. Iris and Ally could see behind all the junk food that Ariana was hurting.

Not a thousands honey barbecue chips could feel that pain. Iris looks at her television to see that she had been binging Bobs Burgers.

“I’ll never understand why Louise wears those bunny ears” Ally commented trying to lighten the mood.

“I don’t know maybe her she was born with a bald spot and she wanted to cover it up” Ariana jokes reaching for the bowl of chips. Iris and Ally look at each other.

“Alright, you’re going out tonight” Iris lifts herself from the couch and says. Ariana groans and Ally says “Yeah, we can’t just let you sit here and waste your life away.”

Ariana can see that her friends are trying to help but this breakup was taking a toll on her. She sighed and got up “Can we get french fries?” Ariana asked pouting. “Of course,” Iris answered and chuckles “Now go get dressed.”

She walked inside of her room and dove into her closet. She thought a little bit of fresh couldn’t hurt. Besides what could happen? She couldn’t possibly find in love on her mission for French fries.

The streets of New York were live with vibrant sounds of honking cars and civilians. Ariana had become accustomed to this sounds. She could most of the time hear them outside of her bedroom window. Some people would find these noises obnoxious but Ariana found them anything but obnoxious. Her heels clicked against the pavement of sidekick and the fresh air ran through her hair. They turned the corner to find that a single food truck sitting near Central Park with customers. Freddie’s eatery was one of Ariana’s favorite restaurants.  She could remember going there as a little girl with her father and ordering a shareable size of french fries. To this very day, she enjoyed every bit of salt and grease on the fries. Ariana and her friends were the next people in line and she could already smell the savory goodness.

“What will ladies be having today” the deep voice cashier asked. “Fries for me and…” Ariana trailed off leading her friends to order their food. Ariana decides to pay for their food.

“I like your Bob’s Burgers t-shirt” the young cashier complimented her.

“Thanks,” Ariana replied “I binge watched the whole show today.”

“Wow, bit of a Bob’s Burgers fantanic?” Ariana giggled at the comment and her friends could what he had been doing.

“Guilty as charged”  Ariana respondes and giggles once again. Her two friends look at each and and smile.

The boy heads back to fryer to get started on their and begins to chat some more.

“What episode are you on?” he asks dumping the fries in the boiling grease.

“Season 4 Episode 5” She answers. “The one where Bob’s freaks out over thanksgiving?” he says with a slight smile

“I thought Aunt Gayle’s cats were the ones who kept putting his turkeys in the toilet.” She once again finds his joke funny and laughs.

“I’m Harry” the boy greets. “I’m Ariana” she greets back. Before Harry could question Ariana again over her Bob’s Burger obsession the back door leading to the food truck opens. Walks in Freddie Tyler, owner and founder of the food truck.

Damn cats,” he complains “Always rummaging through the trash.”

Ariana had known Freddie since she was a little girl. Her coming to the food truck had grown a bond between her and Freddie.

“I told you dad, cats are just a little hungry” Harry says and Ariana looks at him with somewhat wide eyes. Freddie groans but smiles when he sees Ariana standing across the counter.

“Well, if isn’t little french” he says happily. She had been given that name due to her obsession with fries.

“I haven’t seen you in weeks” Freddie said.

“Yeah, I’ve been a little caught up with work” Ariana lies. She hasn’t been to work since the breakup and she still wonders if she has her job as a fashion writer.

“I see you met my son Harry” Freddie places a firm hand on Harry’s shoulder and he shows a hint of embarrassment. “Yeah, we were just talking for a little bit” Ariana says.

Harry rushes over to the fryer making sure that the the golden sticks weren’t burnt to a crisp. He grabs a regular sized cup and places them inside. Ariana could smell the grease from where she was standing. He waits a moment for them to be cooled off and hands them to her. He also hands Iris and Ally’s food as well. Ariana takes one bite of a fry and smiles. Harry looks at her and smiles as well. Iris and Ally begin to look at each and decide on a plan.

“Oh my gosh, I forgot that I have tons of work to work on” Ally claims and Iris agrees.

“We’ll see you later” Iris says as they pair of girls walk away leaving Ariana confused and somewhat mad.

“Well, I guess I’m by myself now” She mumbles under her breath taking another bite out of a fry and begins to walk away.

“WAIT!,” Harry shouts and she stops in her tracks “My shift is over and I hate walking home alone.”

Ariana thinks for a moment. He seemed like a nice guy but don’t they all?. She smirks and agrees to the stay. He takes off his greasy aporn, hangs it up, and walks out of the truck. Harry walks up to Ariana’s side wearing a black silk like bomber jacket. They begin to walk through the streets of New York talking about anything that they could. He told her about his childhood and why he was working at his dad’s food truck. She told him about her job and why she choose it. But one thing she dared to touch on why she really came to the food truck.

She really hadn’t noticed all the bright lights and scenery of New York until she was with Harry. She heard things but she never saw things. They also began to talk about their other tv obsessions. She had never known someone to watch 2 Broke Girls and The Flash like Harry did. She told him about why she chose DC over Marvel. Although he did object to this because everyone knows that Marvel is better than DC.

They hopped on the subway and sat next to each other shoulder to shoulder. The subway ride took 10 minutes to Ariana’s apartment and she had enjoyed it. Once they reached her apartment, she didn’t want the conversation to end. They stopped in front of her front door.

“Well this is me” Ariana said pointing toward the door. “It was, uh, fun talking to you.”

“You too” Ariana responds.  

They both show a glimpse of a smile and walks inside of her apartment. Talking to Harry made Ariana forget about all the times with the Jared. The yelling, the comments, and the tears. The only thing she worried about was if she would ever see him again. Of course Iris and Ally would constantly text her about what happened and she was prepared for it. Before she gets settled, she heads to the kitchen and begins the cup her fries had been in away.

But one thing had stopped her: the black lettering revealing to Harry’s phone. She giggles and inputs his phone number on the contact: FRY GUY.