Bad Boy | Teen Ink

Bad Boy

Author's note:

I wrote this piece because it deals with everyday struggles of teens in high school. I think that it can be an inspiration to others.

I laid in a deep sleep when I heard an annoying buzzing noise. I patted around my nightstand and punched the top of the alarm clock. I lazily pulled myself from the bed and stumbled through the rubble of what used to be the floor. I trashed my closet trying to find something to wear on my first day at a new school.
I gazed into my body sized mirror and realized that my clothing looked worn to practically nothing. My jeans had tears in them and my shirt had lost all color. My appearance being average, my blue eyes stood out from my dark brown messy rats nest atop my head. I was an intimidating six foot and muscular. I slapped a dollop of gel in my hair and put on my black boots and leather jacket.
Standing on the porch in front of my house I peered up and down the street at the beautiful landscaped yards and mansion style homes. As I walked to my motorcycle, I took notice of the expensive cars nestled in the driveways of the houses. A BMW here, a Lexus there, they kept going to no end.
I shook my head in disgust. It amazed me at what people spent to show off their money. I had cars but they were muscle cars. I liked to race. It was a hobby. It wasn't to show that I had money. I started my glistening red chopper with ghost flames and revved it as loud as possible. I wanted the neighbors to feel the crackling thunder of my engine. In hopes that they would be awakened by the deafening sound. I didn't know them and I didn't like them.
I roared through the tree-lined community and to the Gothic emerging schoolhouse that my dad paid way too much for me to attend. I found the only spot available and parked my ride. I removed myself from the bike. I saw the boys glaring at me with a hint of jealousy. The girls were staring with a look of admiration.
To my amazement, I became popular at first sight. I could not figure out why. Was it my bad boy persona? Was I too good looking or did I intimidated them? I couldn't care less if this crowd liked me or not. I wasn't there to make friends. As a matter of fact, I did not want to be there.
Upon entering the building a certain lovely silhouette caught my eye. I was snapped from my tunnel vision by another young lady. She was chirpy and wearing a cheer outfit. Her blond silky strands flung side to side while she walked toward me. She was tall around five foot eight inches.
Her green eyes pierced mine, “Hi, my name is Allison Mills. What's yours?” She spoke in way too much enthusiasm. I looked at her with a blank expression and she continued to talk as though I cared. “I've never seen you here. Are you new? Cat got your tongue or something?”
“That would be or something. If you could remove yourself, I need to go to the office for registration and for my schedule.” I said nonchalantly.
“Well, aren't we being rude?” She scowled irritated.
“Not rude, not interested. I hope I do not see you soon.” I hissed while walking around her.
I wondered the never-ending corridors thinking about the mystery girl. She was gorgeous she was nearly five foot five inches and had the most amazing brown eyes. I thought about running my fingers through her long burgundy locks. Her image was burned into my head. I finished my paperwork and was handed my schedule from the guidance counselor.
I stepped into my first class, which was Chemistry. Allison was right behind me.
Tapping me on the shoulder she questioned, “Are you going to tell me who you are? Or am I going to guess?”
“Who is the girl with the long burgundy hair?” I asked dodging her question.
“That is Carrie Johnston. Trust me, you don't want to bother her. She's a total loser.” She stated out of sarcasm and put the L sign in front of her forehead.
“Loser, huh? And what makes her that?” I whispered attitudinally.
She flung her hair and muttered, “She has no friends. No one talks to her. She's broke and she can't even afford amiable clothes. If you converse with her, you'll commit social suicide.”
“Really, great, thanks for telling me that.”
“You're welcome. You still didn't say who you are.”
“I wasn't being pleasant when I thanked you. And, I'm not going too. Find out on your own.” I hinted sarcastically.
"Mr. Jones. Would you like share your conversation with the class?" I heard Mrs. Commet yell.
I stood up, looked around at the kids in their desks, and said, "Yes, mam. Allison here was just telling me how much of a loser Carrie Johnston is. Would you like to share with the class Allison?"
Allison turned beet red out of anger and said, "I'm not saying anything."
"Oh, I thought you might want to, considering that you haven't shut your mouth since we sat down," I said loudly.
She jumped up and screamed, "You're an idiot. Shut up and sit down."
"That's enough. Mr. Jones and Ms. Mills make your way to the office right now. We do not tolerate this kind of behavior here." Mrs. Commet said.
"That's funny listening to Allison makes me beg to differ," I said storming out of the class. "It isn't my choice to be here anyway."
Allison followed behind me. During the long walk, she never shut up. I ignored her until she said, "I don't know what your problem is. I was trying to be nice."
I stopped dead in my tracks and said, "My problem is people like you. You think that you are so much better than everybody because you're rich. Do you have any idea how you make people feel treating them like you do? I assume that you don't," I got in her face and continued, "I can't stand a bully and I can't stand people like you."
I swung my body around and continued walking leaving her stand there speechless. I opened the office door and the secretary asked, "How can I help you?"
"Ben Jones, mam. Mrs. Commet sent me here for causing a ruckus in her classroom." I said with a smile.
"Take a seat, Mr. Jones. I'll let Mr. Russell know." She said politely.
Allison appeared right after me. She sat next to me and I maneuvered my body slightly to the left so she wasn't touching me. She scowled at me and folded her arms in front of her. I was laughing on the inside. It was funny that I put her in her place in front of the whole class.
"Thank you, Ben. I've never been in trouble before. One day around you and here I am." She said angrily.
"Well, I guess there is a first for everything. A first for you to get in trouble and a first for you to be downgraded a bit." I said.
"Who are you? Why are you so rude?"
As I went to answer her, Principal Russell came from his office, "You two follow me."
I took a seat across from him, Allison following. We sat there quietly while he was looking through our records. I didn't care what was going to happen. I only thought about meeting Carrie and how much I despised Allison on my first day here.
Mr. Russell looked at Allison's file and looked at her. "Allison Mills, you have never been in this office before. What's different about today?"
"It was him, sir. He irritated me in class." She replied.
"Why? Because I made you look like an unkind, uncaring person in front of the whole class." I scorned her.
"Mr. Jones, Ben, please be quiet. I'll hear your side when Allison is done talking." Mr. Russell said.
"Whatever," I answered rudely.
"Continue, Allison."
"Mr. Russell, he asked me about Carrie Johnston and I told him. He proceeded to put me on the spot in front of everyone."
"Alright, your turn, Ben." He said looking in my direction.
"She told me about Carrie alright. She said that she was a loser and unpopular because she wasn't rich, in so many words. I don't like people like her." I said, combatant.
"Is this true, Allison?"
"It's only the truth." She answered without remorse.
"One week's detention for you." He said sternly.
"But, Mr. Russell."
"Go to class now or you'll get another week, Allison." She stormed from the office and slammed the door. "Ben, since this is your first day here, I'm going to give you a warning. We do not tolerate outburst like this. If I see you again you'll get the same punishment as Allison. You may go." He stressed.
I stood up and left his office without a word. By this time the bell tolled. When lunch time came everyone was trying to get me to sit with them. I scanned the room for my mystery girl. She was at a table with two other kids. Pushing through the juveniles that surrounded me, I sat beside her. She glared at me in a shy, close to anxious look.
I took in her beauty and her sweet smell of vanilla spice. “Hi, Ben Jones. What's your name?” I stated sweetly.
She stuttered the words, “Carrie Johnston. Why are you talking to me?”
“Why not?” I asked with a killer smile.
“No one talks to me. Especially good looking boys. I can only guess that you're new here.”
“Yes, I am,” I winked at her, “Who says that I can't talk to you? You think I'm good looking?”
Her face turned as red as the apple on her dainty tray. “This is James and Alyssa. They are the only friends that I have here.” She uttered.
“I hope to change that. Hey, what's up peeps? Charmed to meet you two.” I enunciated using my killer smile once more.
The bell rang. She jumped from her seat and said, “I gotta go. Catch you around sometime.”
I grabbed her by the arm gently, "Wait! Will I get to talk to you again?" She looked at me and continued to walk away.
Allison walked up to me and lectured, “What are you doing? You can not talk to her. It will kill your reputation.”
I looked at her and furrowed my brows, “I thought that you got the hint. I do not care about my reputation. I couldn't care less about any of you in this building except for Carrie.” I replied with anger.
She flung her hair once more, nearly hitting me in the face, “You'll be sorry. Don't say that I didn't warn you,” She spun and stormed away.
“Have fun in detention,” I yelled sarcastically.
The rest of the day went by without a hitch. All the while I could only think of Carrie. I walked outside, the other kids were already gone. I saw her sitting on the wall alone.
“What or who are you waiting for?” I spoke with calmness.
“My dad. He was supposed to be here.” She said through sadness, “he's running late, as always.”
“Come on. I'll give you a ride,” I gripped her hand and pulled her to her feet. “Have you ever been on a motorcycle?”
“No, I haven't. It is safe, right?” She asked skittishly.
“I won't let anything happen to you,” I said leaning closer to her face. “Here put this on.” I handed her the helmet.
She fumbled with trying to tighten it. I helped her with it and jumped on the bike. I kicked the kickstand up and said, “Get on. Pull those little pegs down and rest your feet on those. Wrap your arms around me. Don't be afraid to tighten your grip if you get scared. I won't bite I promise.”
She smiled at me and declared, “Thank you. Why are you being so friendly? No one respects me like this.”
“Because you are beautiful. I'm also betting you're an awesome person.” I rebutted lifting my brow. “Now, hold on.”

I started the chopper and revved it loudly. The other kids all looked at us. I smiled and tore off. I felt Carrie's grip tighten around me. It felt like electricity shot through my body at the simple squeeze of her arms. I don't know what it was about her but I knew that I needed to get to know her better.
Lost in thought, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I noticed in the mirror that she was pointing to this tiny little house. It was tattered and beat up. The shutters were falling off and the steps had become a hazard to anyone using them. I pulled over, she climbed from the bike, removed her helmet, and hung her head in shame.
I put my finger under her chin and lightly lifted her head so her eyes met mine. “Carrie, there is no reason to be ashamed of who you are. You can open up to me. I'll listen, I promise you.”
A tear slid down her cheek, “I'll see you tomorrow, Ben Jones. Thank you for bringing me home and being so kind to me. Alyssa and James are the only friends that I have now. So really, thank you.”
“I hope that I changed that today. You're welcome.” I said staring deep into her eyes.
I was ready to kiss her. She spun around and took off like lightning running to her house. “See you tomorrow.” She yelled.
I slowly lifted the kickstand on my bike and took off down the road. My driveway was perfect, my house was immaculate. It had sliding glass doors with flower boxes on the outside of each window. Its brick exterior was a sandy color. I made my way inside and looked around. I took in the amazing interior. A mix of marble, stainless steel, and wood jumped out at me.
The foyer led to a rot iron lined winding staircase. I looked at all the doors on the second floor that led to each of the nine rooms. I turned myself toward the back door where it had an in ground-pool surrounded by greenhouse glass, lined with a cement patio. I plopped myself on one of the cushy gliders and thought about Carrie.
I thought about how it felt to live in a tiny run down house like hers. I thought about how she felt on a daily basis when the other kids picked on her. I took a deep breath and ran back to my bike. I found myself back in front of her house. My engine on my bike was loud enough for her to hear me. I caught a glimpse of her looking out of her bedroom window. She held her pointer finger up to gesture one minute.
She shyly walked up to me, “Ben, what are you doing here?” She asked quietly.
“I couldn't quit thinking about you. You're the only person that's been on my mind since I saw you this morning. I got on my bike and it brought me here.”
She looked around frantically and said, “You can't be here. You need to go, now.”
“Why? What is wrong?” I asked with a depressed sound.
“I can't talk to you. You're rich. I'm poor. Look at my house and my clothes. People will think that you are just being sympathetic toward me. I don't need any more sympathy.” She yelled.
“Carrie, I don't care what people think I like you. I want to get to know you.” I pleaded with her.
“Why are you doing this? Just leave, leave me alone.” She said through a stray tear.
“No, I'm not leaving until you tell me what's wrong.”
“Get out of here.” She screamed and ran into her house.
I sat there and stared at her house for what seemed to be days. What was running through my mind at that point was, what was her issues. There had to be an underlying problem that she didn't want to tell me about. I was determined to get her to open up to me. I glanced at her window one more time and saw her duck behind the curtain.
I drove off with the sun setting. The cool breeze hitting me in the face gave me a breath of fresh air. I managed to find my bed through the messiness of my room. I laid staring at the ceiling trying to figure out a way to get Carrie to like me. I dozed off with nothing or no one on my mind but her. I couldn't wait to get to school.
The next day I was approached by Alyssa and James. James asked, “What did you do to Carrie?”
“Yeah, she's a total wreck,” Alyssa added.
“Chill, I didn't do anything to her. I just want to get to know her.” I said slyly.
“I don't know why you're doing this to her. She's different than you. Her world completely clashes with yours. What is your deal?” James said rudely.
“What is my deal? What is her deal? I'm only trying to know her.” I answered with my own attitude.
“Why?” Alyssa asked.
“Because I like her. Why won't she give me a chance?”
“That's for her to tell you. Just lay off a bit.” James said.
“Whatever, man.” They turned and began to walk away. I yelled, “I'm nothing like these other delinquents in this building. I can't even stand rich people.”
James put his hand up and waved to show he heard me and kept walking. As I was lost in my own fantasy about Carrie, I bumped into Manuel.
“Sorry, dude.” He said with a laugh.
“You're cool, man. My mistake.” I said calmly.
We stood there in awkward silence. I glared at his baby blue eyes and brown hair. He was a football player but very lanky.
I got irritated and asked, “Are you going to move?”
“Sorry, dude. Do you play football?” He said.
“No, never in my life,” I said.
“Why not? Dude, you would be great for it.” He said enthusiastically.
“I don't do school sports. I don't like jocks.”
“It's cool. Everyone has there own opinions. What do you do?” He replied nicely.
“I race. I race motorcycles, cars, anything that goes fast.” I said.
“Awesome, dude. I love racing. Maybe we can hang out sometime.”
“Maybe, I'll see ya around,” I said.
“Oh, right, you need to get to class. See ya.”
Then it hit me. I'm going to show Carrie my favorite car. My pride and joy in my car collection. The 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302. The bright red paint and black racing stripes almost showed the 290 horsepower that hid beneath its hood. I know that she mentioned me being rich but I'm hoping that she likes cars.
The day went by fast. I was excited to bring my car and show it off the next day. I rushed from the Gothic designed building. Carrie was sitting on the wall by herself again. I stood there amazed by her. Sadness for her filled me. I only wanted to know her. I wanted her to open up to me and tell me what was on her mind.
I walked up to her, “Do you need a ride?” I asked sweetly.
She didn't say anything. She reached her hand out to mine. I pulled her to her feet and led her to my motorcycle. I helped her with the helmet once more. Once she was settled on the back I took off out of the parking lot. I noticed the other kids looking with admiration on there faces. I put a smooth smile on my face and raced down the road.
I went by her street. She leaned forward and asked, “Where are you going?”
“You'll see. Hold on tight.” I answered smoothly.
I drove us up this windy country road. The air was a bit nippy considering that fall was around the corner. I felt her shiver a bit. I drove to an opening in the woods. Stopping the bike, I got off and helped her from it. She glanced at my eyes and turned away.
“What are you doing, Ben? I need to get home.” She said softly.
“Here take this,” I said handing her my black leather coat. “I want you to see something. I come here a lot when I need to think.”
“I really need to get home.” She said shakily.
“Come on, live a little,” I said while grabbing her hand and leading her into the woods.
She followed me without a fight. I walked until we came upon an opening in the trees. She covered her mouth with her hands and gasped at the beautiful sight. The crystal clear pond rippled with glistening reflections while the waterfall slammed off of it. She stood there speechless.
“Come on,” I whispered in her ear.
I grabbed her hand and sat her on a rock right below the waterfall. The spray from the water misted her face lightly. I put my hand on her cheek and ran my thumb over the tiny droplets. She turned her head and pierced my eyes with hers.
We were lost in each other for a moment and she turned toward the water.
“I've lived here my whole life and never saw this before. How did you find it? It's breathtaking.” She whispered.
“I like to explore my surroundings. So, what is your story? Why are you so hesitant about hanging out with me?” I asked. She wouldn't look at me. She only hung her head and stared at the water. I put my finger lightly under her chin and turned her to face me. She had a lone tear in her eye. “Carrie, tell me. Your secret is safe with me. I promise.”
“It's definitely not a secret. I had an experience with a boy like you once. I mean, not like you but popular like you. He bugged me to date him. When I finally did, he told everybody that we did things. They started calling me names, picking on me, it even got physical. That's when they quit talking to me. He even quit talking to me.”
“You need to trust me. I'm nothing like those others. I would never do something like that to you or anyone.” I said sincerely.
“I don't know if I can ever trust someone like you again.”
“How can you say someone like me. You don't know me. You won't even give me a chance. You need too.” I said.
I leaned in to kiss her. She jumped to her feet and said, “Take me home, please.”
“Carrie, I like you. I don't know why but I do. I can't quit thinking about you. Please, let me try to change your mind about me.” I begged.
“You need to take me home.” She said sternly.
“Sure, if that's what you want.”
I stopped in front of her house. She handed me the helmet and my leather back. She looked into my eyes with fierceness and said, “Thank you for the ride.”
She walked away. I yelled, “Carrie, please wait.”
She ignored me and continued on. I took off angrily and sped through the streets. I need her in my life. I wish she would just talk to me, give me a chance. I thought driving at high rates of speed. Weaving in and out of traffic. I was brought back to reality by the sounds of sirens. I slowed immediately and pulled over.
“Do you know why you got pulled over?” The officer asked.
“Yes, sir I do. I was going seventy-five in a thirty-five.” I answered calmly.
“License and registration, please.”
“Yes, sir.”
I waited patiently while he ran my things. He walked back to me and said, “Slow it down. Go home.”
“What, are you serious?” I asked smartly.
“Yes, go home. Tell your father I said hi.”
He walked away. The only thing that I was able to think, is dad got me off another one. I can not get in trouble with him. That's why I became a bad boy. No matter what I did I always got sent home. Street racing, underage drinking, I even stole a car once just to see if I would get in trouble. Guess what, I didn't. That's why I needed someone innocent in my life like Carrie. I knew that she was fragile and she would keep me from getting in trouble. I needed her to help me. She needed me to help her. We needed each other.

The next day I rolled up in my Mustang. Manuel and a few of his friends came up to me. They were in awe of the red beast. I scoped the area for any sign of Carrie. She was nowhere.
“Dude, this is awesome. Is this yours?” Manuel asked while looking in the windows and running his hands over the paint.
“Yeah, it is. Please don't touch the car. This is my pride and joy. You hurt it, I hurt you.” I said.
He put his hands up and backed up, “My bad, dude. This thing is great.”
“She is, isn't she. I won a lot of races with this girl right here.”
“Maybe you can take me for a ride someday.” He said.
“Maybe, we'll see how you treat people first. Just don't touch.” I said.
“Look, Ben, I don't know what or who you think I am. I'm not like these other kids.”
“Alright, tell me about Carrie Johnston.”
“She's great. I tried to talk to her after this thing happened. She acted like I didn't exist, so I quit trying.”
“You mean the boyfriend thing?” I asked.
“Yes, that. How did you know?” He said surprised.
“She told me. I have a feeling that there is more than that. Do you know anything else about her?”
“I do. I think that she needs to tell you though. It's not bad. It's personal.” He said.
I smiled and said, “Thanks, man. Do not touch the car.”
“I won't. Promise.” He said while holding his hands in the air.
I left them all standing admiring my car. I noticed Carrie standing at her locker. I sneaked up behind her and rubbed her arms lightly with my hands. She shivered and jumped a little.
“It's just me. How are you beautiful?” I whispered in her ear giving her goosebumps.
“What are you doing? People are gawking.” She whispered back.
“I don't care. I told you that. I need you to trust me. Please, just give me one try. If you don't like it I promise I will never bother you again.”
As I got finished talking I heard, “Oh, look. Carrie Johnston is at it again. What a loser.” It was Allison.
Carrie spun around and ran down the hall tears wailing in her eyes.
I walked over to Allison and her friends. I glared into her eyes and said, “What is your problem?”
She stuttered, “I,I..”
“Wait don't answer that. I will. You're a superficial, egotistical, spoiled brat. You're just mad because I don't want you and I never will.”
“No, you're wrong. Carrie is a, you know what.” She said smartly.
“People like you pick on others because you have a problem with the way your life is going. So what is it? Does daddy ignore his little girl for work? Or maybe mommy has a boyfriend that daddy doesn't know about. What is wrong with your life that you need to make others miserable?” I said sharply.
She yelled, “That's none of your business, Ben. You're a jerk.”
“Maybe so, but at least I'm a jerk to people who deserve it,” I yelled back.
The other kids were laughing. I heard a voice break through the laughter, “You two, come with me now.” It was Mr. Russell.
He sat us in his office side-by-side once more, “Ben, Allison, I see we meet again. What is going on with you two?”
“Allison here seems to think that's funny calling people names and picking on them. I don't see the humor in it.” I answered angrily.
“Watch your smartness, Ben. Is this true Allison?” He asked with authority.
“I don't know what he's talking about. He has been ignorant to me since day one. I was only trying to be nice.” She scowled.
“You're a liar. You're the reason I can't stand people like you.” I yelled.
“People like me. In case you're forgetting, you're people like me.” She yelled back.
“I will never be like you.”
Mr. Russell slammed his hand on the desk and yelled, “That's enough. Allison one more week. Ben, you're going back to class.”
“Mr. Russell, how is that fair. I get detention again and he gets nothing. He yelled at you and you're gonna let him go?” Allison said.
“That's my plan. Get to class now.” He said.
I looked at her and gave her an evil smile. She got up and stormed from the office, slamming the door behind her.
“Ben, I'm going to tell you this one time and one time only. If it wasn't for your dad being the biggest contributor to this school you would be suspended right now. Do not show up in this office again. If you do I will call your father. Now get to class.” Mr. Russell said roughly.
I stood up and said, “Thank you again, father,” with sarcasm and left the office.
I figured I'm not getting in trouble so, I went to find Carrie. She was in study hall. I lightly knocked on the door. The teacher motioned me in.
“Can I help you, young man?” She asked.
“Yes, mam. Principal Russell would like to see Carrie Johnston.” I said compassionately.
“Very well, Carrie, grab your things and go.”
Carrie gathered up her things and never took her eyes from me. She followed me out the door and whispered, “Why does Principal Russell want to see me?”
“He doesn't,” I said.
“What? What are you doing?” She yelled.
“Sshh, quiet. You're gonna get us busted.” I said.
She whispered, “I need to go back to class.”
“Oh, no you don't.” I grabbed her hand and dragged her to the door. “You're coming with me,” I said sweetly.
“I can't skip. I've never even missed one day of school, let alone skipping.”
“You need to live a little,” I mentioned enthusiastically.
I still had a hold of her hand. And ran out the door dragging her behind me. Once I got to the car. I opened the door and said, “Get in.”
“I have to go back.” She said with a scared voice.
“No, you have to go with me now. You can't go back in. You'll get busted. Hurry up.”
She jumped in the car. I slammed the door. While I was jumping in I noticed that she had a frown of madness on her face. I pulled out of the parking lot peeling tire. I kept peeking over at her to take in her beautiful features. She noticed me looking at her. I saw a slight smile form on her perfect lips. My body warmed to the notion that she may be liking this.
We drove silently to an abandoned highway. I stopped at the beginning of it. And took in the deadness of the four lanes. I smiled, I wanted to speed down the long winding broken blacktop. I wasn't sure how Carrie would handle it. She saw the smile on my face. I began to laugh.
“What is so funny? You're a jerk. You probably just got me in trouble. I'm going to get suspended. I know it.”
“Relax, you're not going to get in trouble. I guarantee it.” I said with a slight laugh.
“There is nothing funny about this situation.” She said.
“You didn't have to come. Yet you did. Why?”
“I had no choice. You dragged me from the building, remember?” She answered with irritation.
“You always have a choice, Carrie. No one can make you do something.”
“Where did you get this car anyway?” She asked.
“It's mine. Do you like it?” I said.
“It's nice. But, this is what I'm what talking about. This isn't my world anymore. You guys are different than me.”
“I'm not different than you. I only have money. That doesn't make me evil. That does not categorize me with those other imbeciles. What do mean this isn't your world anymore?” I said pushing for information.
She glared off into the sun. She sat there with a look of thought on her face. Like she was trying to find a way to tell me what was going on. I waited calmly for her to say something, anything. The longer she sat there, the more impatient I got. I started the car and revved the engine. She turned to me with fright in her eyes.
“What are you doing?” She asked frantically.
“You may want to put on that harness beautiful.”
“What? No, no, no. Don't you dare. I'll kill you, Ben Jones.” She yelled.
I glanced at her and giggled. I leaned across the seat and strapped her harness, “You may want to hold on tight.”
She gripped the door handle in a death grip. I pushed the pedal to the floor. The car spun tire before kicking loose. It seemed like I was traveling faster than lightning. The faster we went, the tighter she held on. I heard a low sound of laughter coming from her. Then it became louder. A smile formed on her face. I slammed on the breaks and did a u-turn never letting off the gas.
I raced back to where we started. I put the car in park. Her eyes glistened in the setting sun. “Come on,” I said grabbing her hand to help her form the car, “Join me.”
We sat on the hood of the car watching the sun vanish behind the mountains. “That was exhilarating.” She said breaking the silence.
“Do you trust me enough to talk to me now?” I asked.
“Fine, I used to have money like all of you. I lived in a beautiful house. My mom passed away, my dad became an alcoholic and drug addict. He forgot about me when he was on his binges. He lost his job, we lost everything. I became a nobody when people found out. That's when the boyfriend played me. Is that what you want to hear? You want me to tell you how screwed up my life is?”
She turned her head away from me. I heard the hurt and sadness in her voice. It broke my heart that she thought she was nobody. What she went through was not her fault. It could happen to anyone of us at any time. It hurt me to know that these other kids felt as though it was a laughing matter. I pulled her closer to me and embraced her. She rested her head on my chest and cried.
“You do know that what you went through is not your fault. This type of thing happens to a lot of people. You are somebody. You're somebody to Alyssa, James, you're dad, and” I picked her head up from my chest, “Me.”
She faltered with what to say, “What's your story? I told you mine. Why are you such a bad boy?”
I let go of her and leaned back on the hood propping myself up with my hands. I stared at the lone star that appeared, “My dad. He is a CEO of a major company. Everyone knows him through the numerous donations he does in this town. No matter what I do I can't get in trouble. So, I do whatever I want. Whenever I want.”
She leaned back with me, “Where were you? Why haven't I seen you around before?”
“My dad had me military school until this year. I only came home on holidays. How can you still go to a private school after what happened?” I asked cautiously.
“My grandfather pays for it. He wants me to have a good education. As he puts it, he wants me to be someone.” She said with a chuckle.
“Why don't you live with him?”
“I don't want to leave my dad alone. He's better now. He's been drug and alcohol-free for two years. He's been working a lot. That's why I'm always waiting for him.” She said.
I sat up, she followed. She was still engrossed with the stars, “Carrie, look at me,” She turned her head toward me. Her beautiful eyes piercing through mine, “Thank you for telling me your story. For the record, you are someone.” I leaned in and kissed her softly.
She jumped from the hood and asked, “Can you take me home?”
I smiled and opened her door for her. It was dead silent on the way to her house. I parked, she jumped out of the car and headed for the door without a word. I chased after her and stopped her short of entering the house. I stood there mesmerized by her. She fascinated me. I leaned in to kiss her and she pulled away. 

I was stunned, I didn't know what to think. I thought the day went well.
“What's wrong? You did have fun, right?”
“I did. The most fun I had in a long time.” She answered.
“What is the problem then?” I asked with depression.
“I already told you. This won't work. It can't work.”
“It can and it will.”
“Go home.” She yelled.
“Carrie, I need you in my life. What else can I do to make you trust me? Please.” I yelled back.
Her dad heard the commotion and opened the door. “What's going on here?” He asked.
“Nothing dad, Ben was just leaving. Weren't you?” Carrie answered him.
“No, I wasn't. I need to talk to you. I have to get you to give me a chance somehow.” I said rudely.
“Ben, I think it's time you go.” Mr. Johnston said.
I stared him down and said, “Sure, whatever, Mr. Johnston. This isn't over, Carrie.”
I couldn't figure her out. It was like she was okay being with me outside of school. But being together in school was different. She afraid for me to show her affection there. I was so upset over what just happened that I went home, got into my dad's whiskey stash and got drunk. I was so drunk that I slurred my speech. I was barely able to stand.
I got in the nearest car to me which was the bright blue 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS 454 with race stripes on the hood. This car had 360 horsepower and 500 lbs of torque. Needless to say, it got me to Carrie's house real fast. I sat outside revved the engine and blew the horn until she emerged. I stepped from the car swaying back and forth.
The sight of her in those footy pajamas made me laugh. I leaned up against the passenger side of the car until she was standing in front of me. I moved my eyes from her hair to her feet and laughed harder. She didn't seem to think that there was anything funny about the commotion that I just caused. She stood there staring, while I laughed, with her arms crossed over her chest.
I slurred my speech and said, “Nice pj's,” Still laughing.
“There is nothing funny about what you just did. You woke my dad. He has work in the morning and we have school. It is two am. He's going to call the cops.”
“I don't care. Tell him to call the cops. It doesn't matter. I won't get in trouble anyway. They'll take me home and tell me to pick my car up in the morning.” I said obnoxiously.
I heard a neighbor yell, “Shut up, some of us need to work in the morning.”
“Why don't you shut and mind your own business. I'm trying to get a girl here.” I yelled back.
“I called the cops.” The neighbor said.
“Whatever, who cares,” I said rudely.
“You're drunk. You're driving this car drunk and you're underage. What is your problem? I told you about my dad and you do this. Do you really think that this is going to make me want you? This is stupidity. I went through a lot with this kind of thing.”
“I'm drunk because I can't figure you out. I was irritated and this was the only way to get rid of it.” I said swaying in slurred speech.
“Look at you. You can't even stand. Give me your keys.” She said sternly.
“Only if I can stay with you,” I said.
“You're crazy. Give me your keys, now.” She said holding her hand for me to put them in.
I held the keys in my fingers, not being able to stop swaying. I dropped them to one of the three hands I saw. They crashed to the ground. She grabbed them, I tried to grab them back but she kept moving them around. I was too slow to catch them. I put my arms around her and pulled her close to me. Her nose crinkled at the smell of the whiskey coming from my breath.
“This is why I need you. I need you to keep me in line. I need someone to give me consequences for my actions. I know that person is you. Let me in your life. Let me in your mind.” I said. I heard sirens, “Give me an answer.”
“You can get these tomorrow. I'll see you in school. That's if you make it.” She said.
I felt a tap on my shoulder, “Ben Jones, come with me, son.”
“No, not until Carrie answers me. What's your answer?” I said.
“Ben just go with them.” She said.
“Listen to the young lady.” The officer said while grabbing my arm.
I pulled from his grip, “I said no. Not until she answers me. Are you going to give me a chance.” I yelled.
“I'll tell you what. We can talk about later. Just go with them, please. Do it for me.” She said sweetly.
“Fine, I'll expect that talk,” I said.
The officer put me in the car and Carrie asked, “What's going to happen to him?”
“Nothing, he'll be taken home. Your boyfriend will be fine, miss.” The officer said.
“Oh, he's not my boyfriend.” She answered.
“By any means, he'll be fine. Have a good night. I'm sorry for the commotion he caused.”
The officer walked me to my door and knocked. Dad answered the door, looked at me, then at the officer, “What did he do this time?”
“He caused a disturbance in the neighborhood just down the road. We got several calls on it. I had to go check it out.” The officer told him.
“Thank you, officer. You have a good night. I'm sorry for my boy.” Dad said.
Once we were in the house dad lectured me, “What were you doing in that neighborhood? That place is dangerous. Why are drunk? And how did you get there?”
I answered him half passed out, “There is this girl there. I stole your whiskey. And, last but not least, I took my Chevelle.”
“Who is this girl and where is your car?” He asked disgustedly.
“Her name is Carrie Johnston. My car's there she has my keys.”
“It's obvious that you're tired. Go to bed we'll discuss this later.” He said angrily.
“What about school? What about you going to work?”
“You are more important than those things. I have some personal time I can use. Go to bed.” He said.
“Yes, dad.”
I stumbled my way to my room. Tripping over the mounds of clothes. I fell face first on the mattress. The next thing I remember is dad waking me. I crawled my way out of bed and staggered to my adjoining bathroom. I had a splitting headache. I took some pills and almost fell down the steps to the kitchen. Everything was still spinning. I plopped on a chair and put my head down.
Dad walked up behind me and yelled, “Morning, Ben.”
“Please, don't yell. My head feels like someone is on the inside hitting it with a hammer.” I said quietly.
“Good, I assume you're well rested.” He yelled some more.
I sighed and asked, “What do you mean?”
“First, you're going to tell me who this girl is. Then you're going to tell me what is going on with you. I need you tell me why you keep doing these things. Then you're going to wash and wax every single vehicle at this house, mine and yours. For the little fiasco, you pulled early this morning. I may even take all of your keys and leave you only one car. I haven't decided yet.”
“Slow down dad. I have no idea what you're talking about. Why are you even home?” I said confused.
“You have no recollection of what happened?” He asked.
“I only stole some of your whiskey. You're punishing me this bad for that? This is not fair.” I argued.
“What's not fair is you going to a young lady's house waking her and her father at two o'clock in the morning. Having the cops bring you home tops it off.” He yelled louder.
“Stop yelling. You're making my head hurt more. I don't understand what's going on.” I said.
“Who's Carrie Johnston?” He asked.
“A girl from school. Why?” I asked even more confused.
“Do you like driving to people's houses drunk early in the morning? Waking the whole neighborhood. When most of them have work?”
I slammed my head down on the breakfast bar and said, “Oh, no. Carrie. I'm sorry, dad. It's just that I really like her. She won't give me a chance because she thinks I'm like these other rich kids around here. She and her father had a rough time the last few years. They need help. She won't let me help and I got mad.” I explained apologetically.
“Why do you do it? Why do you do these things? Did I do something wrong?” He asked seriously.
“No, dad. You're great. I couldn't ask for a better father. I do it because I can. I get away with it. That's my explanation.” I answered honestly.
“Go out and start on the cars. We'll talk more about helping Carrie and her father when you're finished.” He said.
I didn't recall what happened the night before. I stepped into the garage and there was an empty space where my Chevelle should be. I yelled for dad.
“What is it?” He asked while entering the garage.
“Where's my Chevelle? Please tell me that you didn't sell it, please.” I begged.
“No, I didn't sell it. It seems as though your friend Carrie stopped you from driving home. She has the keys.” He said.
I sighed in relief, “Thank you, Carrie. Dad, how can I fix this? What can I do to make it up to her?”
“I'm not sure. You may have completely destroyed whatever you had. While I'm out here, why don't you tell me what kind of help her and her father need.” He said sympathetically.
“Her mother passed away. Her father became a drunk and drug addict. To make a long story short they lost everything. That's why they live in that neighborhood. People criticize her, dad. Not only for being poor, but they also do it because of a rumor that a boy started. That's why she won't give me a chance. I'm nothing like those other brats. You need to tell her that for me.”
“I can't do that. You need to find a way to prove to her that you're not like them. Drinking and driving is not a way to do it. Especially, knowing what she went through. I'll see what I can do to help them.” He scolded.
“Thank you, dad. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.” I mentioned sincerely.
“Just get to work kid. You have lots of cars to wash. Maybe you'll think about downsizing.” He smiled and walked away.
I was washing and waxing. The sun began to set. I stood at the garage door and admired the orange, red, and yellow glow. I knew that I destroyed any chance that I had with Carrie. After that little stunt, she's definitely going to think that I'm like the others. Now I was really lost on what to do. I can't fix what I did. And there are not enough apologies in the world to make it right.
I heard a roaring engine coming up the driveway. I gazed in its direction. What a beautiful sight, my Chevelle rolled to a stop in front of me. Dad came out of the house to meet with Mr. Johnston. He wanted to apologize for my actions.
Mr. Johnston stepped from my car and handed me the keys, “I believe this belongs to you,” He said in a ticked voice.
“I don't know how to apologize for my actions. I'm very sorry, sir.” I said.
“You need to apologize to Carrie. You seem like a nice boy. Carrie needs a nice boy. What she doesn't need is a copy of myself.” He said.
Dad put his hand out to shake Mr. Johnston's, “Mr. Johnston, nice to meet you. I'm Ben's father, Jeremy. I apologize for my son. He is truly a good boy. He only has his faults like other children, I'm sure. Thank you for bringing the car back. He was coming to get it when he was done with his punishment.”
“Call me, Don. No problem. I couldn't let a car like that sit in my neighborhood. No matter how mad I was.” He said.
I looked over at Mr. Johnston's car and saw Carrie. I said, “I guess she's pretty mad. I'm going to talk to her. I need her to see that the person last night wasn't me.”
“Good luck with that. She is very headstrong. I'll give you some time.” Mr. Johnston said.

He stayed behind talking to my dad.  I slowly maneuvered myself toward the car with caution. I didn't know whether she was going to smack me. Yell at me, pull my hair, whatever it was I deserved it. There was no good explanation for what I did. I was only hoping that she could forgive me. I needed her too.
She didn't even acknowledge me walking toward her. I stood at the window waiting. I lightly tapped it. When she looked at me I said, “Put the window down. I need to tell you something.”
She wound it down fast and angry, “What?” She yelled.
“I'm sorry. I know that isn't enough. I don't know how to make it up to you.” I said.
She jumped from the car and slammed the door. I flinched when she reached up and cracked me leaving a welt.
“I deserved that. You can hit me again if you want. I'll take everything that you want to give. I deserve it all.”
“I can't believe you. After what I told you, you did that. You hurt me more than you made me mad. I was beginning to like you. Then you pull that. How dare you make me see you like that. I don't know if I'll ever forgive you. I don't know if I can.” She yelled.
“I really need you to forgive me,” I dropped to my knees, “I'm begging you to forgive.”
“Get up, you're so embarrassing.” She said with a giggle. I stood up and she pounded on my chest, “I don't want this. I can't want this. You're different than me.” She screamed hiding her face in my shirt.
I wrapped my arms around her and rested my chin on her head, “Quit telling me that we're different. We're not. I know you want this as much as I do. Stop fighting me and go for it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.” I said softly.
She pointed her her eyes to mine, “I'll give you a chance. If you pull anything like that again. We're
over. Do you hear me?”
I was speechless. I finally broke her barrier. I smiled at her and gave her the most passionate kiss. I feared that she would run off again but she didn't. She stood there in my embrace with her head rested on my chest and her arms around me. I rested my chin on her head and took in a big sigh of relief. We stayed like for a few minutes.
I grabbed her hand, “You need to meet my dad,” Dragging her to our father's I said, “Dad, this is Carrie Johnston. The one that makes me do crazy things.”
“Nice to meet you, Carrie. I apologize for Ben. This bad boy thing he has going get's in the way of the real person underneath. I assure you he's a caring person. Although reckless at times.” He said while cupping her hand.
“I assure you, the recklessness is over. Right, Ben?” Carrie said sternly.
“Yes, mam. Whatever want.” I said with a wink.
“So, this means no more loud revving engines in front of my house. No more late night or early morning visits.” Mr. Johnston said.
“I'm sorry, sir. No more of that. It's nice to officially meet you.” I said.
“I'm going to head out. I have an interview tomorrow. Thank you, Jeremy.”
“It's not a problem we have the position available and you seem really qualified. I'll see you in the morning.” Dad said to him.
“See you then. Are you coming, Carrie?” Mr. Johnston said.
“I'll make sure she gets home, Mr. Johnston,” I said.
“Take care of my baby girl, Ben.” He said pulling from the driveway.
“I'm going inside. You kids have fun. Ben, you get these cars done.”
“Yes, sir,” I said with a salute.
Carrie elbowed me, “What was your punishment?” She said with a laugh.
The smile on her face made her more beautiful. I couldn't make my eyes leave hers. I came back to reality, “You see these ten cars lined up? And the motorcycle. I have to wash and wax all of them. When I say wash it's everything including interior. I may lose them all for awhile except for one. Which one should I choose?”
She grabbed my hand, “Let me see if you have workers hands,” She looked at them and ran her pointer finger down one, “Yep workers hands. I say you should choose that one.” She said with a laugh pointing to the Purple 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda.
“Why that one?” I asked with a smile.
“The color, I like the color.” She said.
“This car has a lot of power. I could get reckless. Are you sure?”
“Yes, I'm sure. It's that one. We can get reckless together as long as you do it on that broken down highway.”
“You got, beautiful.”
I finished all the cars while she watched. She offered to help but I refused. This was my punishment for the way I acted not hers. I had no excuse for what I did to her and her father. I glanced around at the sparkling line of American muscle. I was proud of my work they shined like a mirror finish. The interior smelled like a new car in each and every one of them.
I grabbed Carrie's hand and dragged her into the house. We grabbed some sandwiches and I led her to the pool. We sat at the table and ate quietly. When we were finished, I picked her up and jumped into the pool with her. She emerged from under the water and pushed her hair back.
She wiped the water from her face, “I can't believe you did that.” She said while splashing me.
I pulled her close to me and said, “I told you. You need to live a little. Have fun.”
She playfully pushed at my chest and said, “Yeah, okay.” We sat one of the gliders. She peeked over at me, “So, where's your mom? You never talk about her and she seems to be nowhere around.”
I put my arms under my head, “Well, she left. When I was seven. I haven't seen  her since.”
“I'm sorry to hear that. Why did she leave?” She asked.
“Don't be. I barely remember her. She was having an affair on my dad with his best friend. She said that she couldn't take the married life or raising a child. She walked off with him one day and never looked back.”
“Oh my, that must have been terrible for you at that age. To lose your mom. I know how I felt when I lost mine.” She said.
“It was a little hard at first. Then I just forgot her. I don't even remember what she looks like. Her image faded quickly from my mind. My dad is and was always the greatest. I don't need her as long as I have him. So, to change the subject, did you get in trouble at school today?” I said seriously.
“Actually, I did. You have some explaining to do to Principal Russell.” She scorned.
“No fear, babe. I got your back. I better get you home before your dad comes for me.”
“That would be good. I need to get sleep tonight.” She said with a smile.
She was still wet from the pool. I gave her one of my t-shirts and a pair of sweatpants to wear home. I pulled the Chevy Silverado from the garage. She stood there looking at it funny. Then I realized she was too short to get in by herself. I gave her boost up, she looked down at me and smiled. She then began to laugh.
I jumped in the truck and asked, “What are you laughing about?”
“I can't believe that I'm so short that you had to help me in this truck. And these clothes are huge on me.” She laughed harder.
“I'll help you in this truck any time you want. And, you look amazing in anything that you wear. Especially, my things.” I said with a wink.
“Just get me home.”
“Sure, I'm at your beckon call.” I winked.
We got to her house and I had to lift her from the truck. I never removed my hands from her waist. I gazed into her beautiful brown eyes and said, “I'm sorry for bugging you so much. Thank you for hanging out with me, forgiving me, and giving me a try. You have no idea what it means to me for you to realize that I'm different than those other kids.”
“I'm going to tell you a secret. Lean down.” I leaned down and she whispered in my ear, “I knew you were different on the first day when you talked to me.” She moved her head to face me, “I'm sorry that I gave you a rough time. I had to keep my guard up because of what happened.”
“I understand.” I kissed her and said, “I'll pick you up in the morning. You better get inside and get some rest.”
She slowly backed away sliding her hand from mine, “I'll see you in the morning. Goodnight.”
“Goodnight, gorgeous.”
I waited until she was safely in the house before leaving. When I got home dad was waiting for me. I sat down beside him. We were silent for a few minutes.
“Ben, I want the keys to all of your vehicles except for the one of your choosing. Only because you need one for school.” Dad said sharply.
“Okay, I'll get them. I'm really sorry for what I did. I'm also so sorry for what I do.  If it wasn't for you I have no idea where I'd be. I just want you to know how much I appreciate you.”
I stood up and walked to the key cabinet grabbing all the keys except for the Plymouth. I handed them over without a fight as I always did.
“Thank you, Ben. You're a wonderful boy. I want you to know that I'm proud of you. I know that it's my fault you do the things you do. I don't know how to stop it.” He said.
“I do. Next time I decide to get in trouble let them enforce punishment on me. If they don't I'm never going to quit. I only do it because I know that I won't get in trouble. Do we have a deal?” I said with honesty.
“Deal, now get to bed. You have school in the morning.”
“Yes, dad. I also have a beautiful lady that I need to pick up in her choice of car. Goodnight.”
“Goodnight, son.”
Morning couldn't have come any faster. I hurried myself to get ready. I was anxious to pick up my new girl. I grabbed the keys to the Plymouth and sped off down the road. Carrie was waiting for me on her porch. She ran to the car, jumped in and gave me a kiss.
“Morning, I love this car. Can we pick up Alyssa and James, please?” She said.
“Yeah, no prob. Do they know we're coming? You have to show me where they live.” I said.
“No they don't and I will.”
I sped in the direction she pointed. We drove through another tethered neighborhood. The houses were all pretty much the same. Torn up sidewalks, broken down homes, cracked pavement, the list goes on. I never realized how many people around me needed help. I had everything and then some. It saddened me to know that people had to live like this.
She pointed to a house on the corner. I came to a halt. She jumped from the car and knocked on the door. I saw Alyssa peek her head out. She stepped onto the porch and stood there staring at the car with a smile on her face. She ran back into the house and returned with her purse. She and Carrie ran to the car and hoped in.
I looked in the rearview and said, “What's up, Alyssa? You good today?”
“I'm great today. I get to ride to school with the most handsome and popular guy. And, in this freaking awesome car. Let's ride.”
I chuckled and tore off. Carrie knocked on Jame's door and brought him to the car. I asked him, “What's up, James? You good today? No attitude.”
“Na, I'm good. I just want to tell you that you better not hurt Carrie. Now show me what this car can do.” He said with enthusiasm.
I looked at Carrie. She grabbed her harness and said, “You two back there may want to strap in. Do this, Ben.”
“If you say so,” I said smiling.
I raced through the streets weaving in and out of traffic. Carrie had a smile on her face the whole time. I came to an abrupt stop in a parking spot at the school. I looked around the car and saw smiles on all of them. We exited the car everyone was staring at us. I put my arm around Carrie's back and felt trembles in her body. I stopped her and twisted her toward me.
“Calm, down. It's all good. I'll take care of you.” I said sweetly.
“But, they're all looking. What's this going to do to your rep?” She replied.
“Look in my eyes. I don't care. These people in this school mean nothing to me. You're the only one that matters, okay.”
She nodded in agreement. James said, “Take it easy, Carrie. It'll be cool.”
“Yeah, chill, girl. You got this handsome man beside you. It can't get any better than this.” Alyssa mentioned.

Carrie laughed and we stepped into the building with my arm around her. Manuel stepped in front of us, “What's up, Ben, Carrie, Alyssa, and James? You and Carrie a thing now?” He said smiling.
James positioned his body in front of Carrie's, “Why are you talking to us?” He asked aggressively.
I put my arm out and blocked James, “Chill, man. Manuel's cool. He's only trying to be friendly. Maybe that's your problem you get rude to the wrong people.” I said rudely to James.
“Whatever, bro. I'm going to my locker.” James said and stormed off.
Alyssa looked at me and said, “See ya later, Carrie.”
“Why did you do that, Ben? James is my friend.” Carrie asked.
Manuel stood there listening to us. “Because James needs to realize that not all the kids in this building are like Allison. Isn't that right, Manuel?”
“It is. Carrie, I'm only trying to be nice like I've always tried. So, are you and Ben together now?” He said politely.
She smiled and said, “Yes, we are. I'm sorry for James. He only tries to protect me.”
“It's cool. I don't think you'll need protection with this man here by your side. I'll catch ya later, Ben. Class is calling.”
“See ya, man,” I said.
“See ya, Manuel,” Carrie yelled.
I walked her to her locker and gave her a kiss, “I'll see you at lunch. I think I have an apology to give. I'm so used to being rude. I don't realize that I do it. I'm sorry.”
“It's okay. James will get over it. I'll see ya then.”
I roamed the never-ending hallways to enter my Chemistry class. I was in a state of oblivion. I was still amazed that Carrie finally gave in to my advances. I pretty much stalked her, I pulled her from school, and I caused trouble at her house. Yet she still wanted me. She was amazing in every aspect. She had a heart of gold, her personality lit a room, and her beauty was uncanny. She was mine and no one was changing that.
Not paying attention I pushed open the classroom door and hit Allison with it. She fell to the floor on her butt. I laughed, put my hand out to help her up, and said, “My bad. I didn't see you there.”
“Ben Jones, this is not funny. Look at my outfit. Do you have any idea how much I paid for it.” She screamed.
I was still laughing, “Nope, don't care.”
“I can't believe you. I paid one hundred dollars for this shirt. You ruined it. Why were you with Carrie this morning?”
“Let's see, I guess you just wasted your hundred dollars. You can always buy another one. If you must know Carrie and I are dating.” I said.
“You're dating her? Why? What is it about her? What does she have that I don't because I have everything.” She said rudely.
“I see what this is all about, now. You like me. Let me tell you a little secret. I don't like you. Even though Carrie isn't rich anymore. She has everything that you don't. She's kind, caring, and lovable. Maybe if you would take your superficial head out of your butt you would be able to look past the money. But then, of course, people like you only care about one thing and that's yourselves. Now if you would excuse me I need to take my seat.” I said loudly.
She followed after me screaming, “I'm not superficial. I do care about things other than myself.”
“Like what? Tell me one thing and I'll be nice to you from now on.” I said even louder. At this point, everyone in the room was gawking at us keeping silent waiting for her to answer. She stood there and thought and thought some more. “What's the matter can't answer me, huh?”
“Shut up. You get on my nerves so bad.” She yelled.
I giggled out of frustration and said, “Like you don't get on mine. You have been getting on my nerves since day one. You never shut up, your spoiled brat ways hurt people and you don't care, and you're constantly rubbing money into peoples faces. Guess what? I have more money than your dad will make in a lifetime. Now, you need to shut up.”
She smacked me in the face. I hit a hot spot with her. I continued to laugh because just as she hit me Mrs. Commet walked in and caught her, “Allison Mills, to the office right now. Assault on another student is against school policy. I'm sure you're going to get more than detention this time.” She said firmly.
“But, Mrs. Commet, he...” Allison said.
“Stop, go now. Ben, you go too. I'm sure that you had a little something to do with this.”
I laughed at her, “I sure did. I'll be more than happy to go see Principal Russell.” I got out of my seat and slammed the classroom door.
There we were again. Sitting beside each other in front of Principal Russell. He looked at her, then at me, and back to her. He shook his head in disgust, “What is with you two? The animosity between you has been going on since the day Ben arrived here. This dispute with you two needs to be settled.”
“Mr, Russell he called me superficial. Then he said that he has more money than my family. He irritated me.”
I sat there chuckling listening to her. Mr. Russell said, “He does have more money. And you assumed that it would be okay for you to smack him for saying that. In the face none the less. Ben, this situation is not funny.”
“I beg to differ. She needs everything that I give her. She's a brat. I did call her superficial. I also told her to take her head out of her butt and look past money to see the real person that she picks on every day.” I said smartly.
“I can't let you off of this one, Ben. I need to call your father. As for you, Allison, your detention just turned into work duty for the next two weeks.” He said.
“What? I can't work are you nuts?” She said.
“No, I'm not nuts. But, if you don't do this, you will be. Because you'll be suspended. Go, you're work duty starts tomorrow after the final bell. Meet me here.”
She stormed from the office leaving us sit there. “As for you, Ben. I'm going to call your father and suggest that you do work duty too. If he agrees. You, Allison, and Carrie are all on work duty. Starting tomorrow.” He said.
“What do you mean, Carrie?” I asked not caring about me.
“Your little stunt of taking her from school grounds without permission got her two weeks of work duty also.”
“Can't you let her off? I forced her to go. She tried refusing. I don't care about me.” I pleaded.
“Let me call your father. If he agrees, Carrie's off the hook.” He answered.
I sat there waiting for him to finish talking to my dad. Hoping that dad did as I asked him about enforcing consequences. He hung up and wrote some notes on his paper. “Alright, Ben. Work duty starting tomorrow, after the final bell, for two weeks. Carrie's off the hook. You may go to class. I'll call Carrie in and let her know.”
“Thank you, Mr. Russell. I really appreciate this.”
The classes went by fast considering that I couldn't wait to be with Carrie. I entered the lunch room and went straight to her table. I lightly touched her back and gave her a quick kiss. I sat there quietly. James and Alyssa eyed me with piercing eyes. I looked at Carrie and back to them.
“Look, I'm sorry about this morning. Manuel is really a good kid. I know that you think you need to protect, Carrie, James. I can do that now. Trust me when I tell you that I will keep her safe. We cool?”
He smiled and said, “We're cool, bro. I'm not used to those kids talking to us.”
“Yeah, we're good. Anyway, I like having a handsome friend like you.” Alyssa said.
“Thanks, peeps. How did your day go, gorgeous?” I asked Carrie.
“Just peachy. Mr. Russell called me into the office and recanted my punishment. I couldn't figure out why. Then he told me about you and Allison. I told him that I wanted to do it because I went with you willingly. Did you really say that stuff to Allison?” She said smiling.
I laughed, “Yes I did. It's all true. She has been a royal pain in my butt since I got here. It's people like her that make me hate people like me.”
“I could never hate people like you. People like her, that's another story. Thank you for sticking up for me. I don't how to repay you.” She said sincerely.
“No fear, you already did.” I winked at her.
Manuel and a few of his friends came up to us, “Mind if we join you guys?” He asked.
I had no problem with it. I looked around the table and said, “It's cool with me if it's cool with them.”
They all agreed. We sat there talking and getting to know one another. It was nice to see Alyssa, James, and Carrie interacting with new people. I looked around the Cafeteria. The round tables were crawling with groups of kids that kept looking at us. We finished with our food and took our trays to the drop off counter. All the popular groups of kids walked by us saying hi to Carrie, James, and Alyssa.
It was surprising how people followed instead of leading. Carrie and I dating, made her popular in one day. I didn't expect that. I didn't care if Carrie made me a loser. I just wanted her in any way that I could get her. Even if it meant losing all of my friends. I unintentionally helped Carrie with that issue, hopefully, my dad was able to help her with another.
The final bell rang. It was time for our work duty to start. Carrie and I walked to Principal Russell's office together. Allison came strolling in late. She was dressed for a night out on the town. This girl was clueless. Carrie and I chuckled at each other after noticing her attire.
“Whats so funny?” She asked angrily.
“You really think that you're doing work in that?” Carrie said with a laugh.
Allison flung her hair back and said, “It can't possibly be that bad.”
“Think what you want,” I said to her with a grin.
Principal Russell came up to us and said, “You're cleaning the art room today. I hope you brought different clothes, Allison.”
She frowned and headed toward the art room. Carrie and I followed her. We laughed until we entered the room. Our laughter became depression real quick. The tables were covered in bright colored paints, there was glitter everywhere, and it looked like they had a chalk fight. The janitor sat buckets of soapy water, brooms, and mops beside us and walked out.
I looked at Carrie, Carrie looked at me, and we both looked at Allison. “Why are looking at me like that?” She asked.
“Do you know what to do these things?” I asked her.
“Of course, I do. I'm not dumb. I'm superficial, remember.” She said attitudinal.
Carrie laughed and grabbed a bucket with a rag in it. She immediately started on the tables. It was kind of sexy watching her do her thing. I was blown away. I was lost in my own mind thinking about her and everything that she went through.
“Hey, you gonna do something or stand there all day.” I heard Carrie say.
“Sorry, admiring the view,” I said.
“You can stand there. I like what I'm seeing too.” She said back.
“In that case, I'm staying like this all day.”
“Ew, you guys are so mushy. Do some work already.” Allison said.
I had to go to the restroom. When I came out Allison was standing there. She glared at me and said, “Why don't you like me? I need someone like you to boost my popularity. Someone that everyone in this school talks too. I don't understand, help me to understand your logic. Why would you choose someone like Carrie? Rather than be with me.”
“I answered both of those questions for you numerous times. I don't like your attitude. And I surely don't like the way you bully people. The way you throw money into peoples faces is appalling to me. I have more money than anyone in this school. You don't see me flaunting it. If you would move out of my way I need to get back to work.” I said.
“No,” She leaned in and kissed me.
I heard a noise while I was trying to push her off of me. Carrie was standing there and she dropped the broom. She ran away from us crying.
I pushed Allison to the side and ran after her, “Carrie, wait.” I yelled.
With tears in her eyes, she said, “I knew it. I knew this would happen. I thought that you were different.”
I tried to touch her and she pushed my hands away, “Carrie, don't do this. She kissed me. I was trying to push her away when you walked in. I swear to you I want nothing to do with that girl. You have to believe me.”
“Ben, this will never work as long as we are in this school. There will always be someone like Allison trying to interfere with our relationship.” She said.
“I don't care about them. I only care about you. What more can I do to prove it to you? Tell me what is it that you want from me. I'll do anything.” I pleaded with her.
“Just get away from me. Leave me alone for awhile.”
“Fine, if that's what you want. Remember this was your choice, not mine.” I angrily pivoted my body toward Allison who had a smile on her face, “If you ever come near me again I'll knock you out. My dad told me not hit women but with you, I'll make an exception. Grow up.” I yelled.

Her face went flat with fright. She stood there watching Carrie cry. I looked at the both of them and headed toward the door.
Carrie followed me, “Where are you going? You have to finish your work duty.”
I stopped dead pointed in her face and said, “Why do you care. You pretty much told me to take a hike. I don't know why you keep doing this. I'm falling in love you, Carrie. You're too blind to see it. You're to stuck in the past. Let me know when you come back from there.” I yelled.
I continued to walk toward my car. She yelled, “Ben, wait.” I ignored her, jumped in my car, and raced off.
She, Allison, and Principal Russell were watching me race away. I knew that I was in trouble this time after the talk that dad and I had. I didn't care. I couldn't believe that she actually did this. After everything that I did to prove to her that I was not like those other kids. She still had it in her mind that I was.
I weaved in and out of traffic until I got home. I immediately went to dad's whiskey again. I guzzled a bottle in no time. By this time the sun was setting. I stumbled while pacing the floor in anger. I said, “Screw this,” and threw the whiskey bottle off the wall shattering it to pieces. I jumped in the car and went to Carrie's house.
I knew that I shouldn't have done it again but I couldn't help it. I was falling in love with her, I was in love with her. I couldn't get it out of my head that she really thought that I wanted someone like Allison.
I got out of my car, stood on the sidewalk, and yelled, “Carrie, come out here now. We need to talk.”
She opened her window and said, “We can talk tomorrow. Go home.”
“No, you need to come out here. We have to finish what was started earlier.”
“Tomorrow, Ben.” She said.
“I'm not leaving until you come out. I love you, Carrie. I need you. Look at me I'm sloshed. Please, come out.” I yelled more.
She stormed from the house. Got in my face and yelled, “You're drunk again. Why do you keep doing this?”
“Why do you keep doing this? I'm only like this because of you. I need to know what I can do to prove to you that I'm not this person. Tell me something, anything.”
“I called the cops. You need to go home and sleep this off.” She said.
“Forget it, forget you, I give up. You finally have someone that loves you and treat them like this. You don't want to hear what I have to say, fine, have a good life.” I yelled.
I peeled tire away from her house. She stood there yelling, “Ben, please don't. Come back.”
I was swaying all over the roads at a high rate of speed. Cop sirens got louder behind me. I looked in the rear-view mirror and smirked. Once they got closer to me, I hit the gas harder, leading them on a high-speed chase through the town. When I realized they couldn't keep up with me I stopped and pulled over.
They stopped behind me and yelled, “Put your hands out the window.” I did as they said. “Now, open the door with your left hand, exit the car slowly.” Once I did that they ordered me, “Walk backward, toward us. Stop, lie face down on the ground, cross your feet at the ankles, put your arms out to the side, and don't move.”
I did exactly as they said. I felt one of them put their knee on my back and pull my arms behind me. I started to tussle with them yelling, “Get off of me. You're hurting my arms and back.”
“You should have thought about that before you decided to run from us drinking and driving underage.” One of the officers said to me.
“Whatever, man. Do you know who I am?”
“No, I don't. Frankly, I don't care. Do you have any idea how many people you put in danger tonight.” He said.
I dodged his question and yelled, “My dad is Jeremy Jones. I'm Ben Jones. My dad can have your precinct shut down as fast as tomorrow.”
The officer didn't say anything. He put me in the back of the cruiser and had my car towed.
I yelled to the tow truck driver, “You better be careful. That car cost more than you make in a year.”
“Shut up, I don't want to hear another word from you until we get to the precinct.” The officer said.
I had a look of anger on my face. I spoke not one word the whole way to the station. They put me in a cell, took my shoes, and everything else. They came back to get me and told me that I was able to make a phone call. I didn't call my dad. I called Carrie.
I heard her voice, “Hello.” I began to tear up for the first time in a long time. She said, “Ben, is that you? What's wrong?”
I sniffled through tears and said, “Please forgive me. You're all I want, you're all I need.”
“Hurry it up, boy.” An officer said from behind me.
“Give me a minute,” I yelled.
“Who was that, Ben? Where are you?” She asked frantically.
I still had the sound of tears in my voice, “Please, I'm begging you to forgive me.”
“That's not important right now, you are. You need to tell me where you're at.” She said.
“I'm at the police station.”
The phone went dead. The officer led me back to the cell and said, “I'll be back soon.”
I laid back on the cold hard shelf that called a bed. In the tiny cement room blocked by steel bars. I was trapped. I felt like I was never going to get out of there. I thought about how much I regretted what I did. I was so drunk that I could no longer keep my eyes open. I heard the sliding sound of the bars moving and jumped up. By this time I was starting to sober up.
“Come with me.” A nice lady said in a sweet voice.
“Yes, mam,” I said nicely.
She sat me down and said, “It looks like you're getting booked tonight. You'll be spending the next forty-eight hours with us.”
My mouth dropped. “What? What do you mean?” Then it hit me. The deal that dad and I made. I hung my head, “Oh, no. The deal.”
“Excuse me. What are you talking about, the deal?” She asked politely.
“My dad and I. We made a deal. If I do anything wrong he was supposed to let me take the consequences. I always get away with everything. I'm really a good kid, mam. I just make stupid decisions because I can without repercussions.”
She smiled at me with warmth on her face, “You seem like a good boy. Would you like to share why you went nuts tonight?”
“I've done worse, believe me. Tonight was different though.” I went on to tell her what had happened with Allison and Carrie, “I'm so in love with this girl. She stays in the past and thinks that I'm like those other brats. I'm not, I don't know how to get her to see it.”
“One thing I can tell you, this is not the way. Be yourself not someone that you don't want to be. If you love this girl as much as you say, give her time and space. If you two are meant to be together you will.” She said softly.
“Thank you, mam. I appreciate you talking to me and seeing that this person tonight is not me.” I said quietly.
“No problem. Don't worry, the time will go fast.”
I nodded in acknowledgment. She led me to my home for the next two days. It gave me a lot of time to think. I knew that I couldn't let Carrie go. I also knew that she needed time. The time did go fast. Before I knew it, dad picked me up. We drove home in silence. I stepped into the house and immediately went for food.
“What's the matter? You a little hungry?” Dad asked angrily.
I rummaged through the refrigerator and said, “I'm sorry, dad. I really am. I want to thank you for not breaking our deal. I belonged in that place for those couple of days.”
“Look at me.” I did as he said. “What happened to you and Carrie? Why did you call her instead of me?”
“Allison Mills kissed me in school. Carrie saw it and told me to leave her alone. I got mad, came back here, got drunk, and went to her house. She called the cops, I led them on a high-speed chase, and that's how got locked up.” I answered truthfully.
He sat there quiet for a few seconds and said, “Mr, Russell called he told me about you leaving work duty. You're suspended for two weeks. Since you're suspended I had him get all of your school work together. He's sending it by with a boy named Manuel. And you're grounded until your suspension is up.”
“That's fair enough. I'm not going to argue with you.” I said.
“This means you do not leave this house at all and you will do all of your school work.” He said sternly.
“It's fine, dad. I need some sort of authority to stop me from doing these kinds of things. I'm cool with it.”
“What about you and Carrie? You just apologized to her for this exact thing. How do you plan on fixing this?” He asked.
“I'm gonna give her time. I'm not bugging her when she's ready she'll come by or call. Did her dad get the job?”
“Yes, he did. He was the most qualified candidate that I've seen in a long time.”
“I really appreciate this, dad. Thank you for helping them.” I said.
“It's not a big deal. I have to go to work. You know the ground rules. I expect you'll follow them?”
“Yes, dad.”
I lounged around the house thinking about what I did again. I couldn't get the look on Carrie's face out of my head. But I told myself to leave her alone. Give her time. I didn't know if she would ever want to talk to me again. It killed me to think that she wouldn't. I was madly in love her and my heart was breaking.
I dozed off on the couch and the doorbell woke me. I opened it and Manuel was standing there with my work. “What's up, man. Come in.” I said.
He stepped inside and said, “Here's your work. I don't want to be nosy but I have to ask, what did you do to Carrie?”
“It's a long story. Why?” I said.
“Dude, she is tore up. She looks like she hasn't quit crying for days. James and Alyssa are so mad at you.”
“Come in and sit for a minute. I'll explain it to you.” I went on to tell him what unfolded. “Man, I don't think I can fix this. I hurt her bad this time.”
“Dude, that's terrible. Let me ask you, do you like her?” He said.
“No, Manuel. I love her. I'm so messed up inside right now. I don't know what to do.”
“Did you call her?”
“Nope, I want to give her space. I know what I did was wrong. She doesn't need someone like me to bring her down.” I said with sadness.
“If you love her, I hope for your sake she forgives you. She's such a wonderful person and she seems lost without you. I have to go. I have my own homework to do.”
“I'm grounded anyway. I'll catch you in school when I return.” I shook his hand and said, “Thanks for listening.”
After he left I picked up my phone and called Alyssa. To my surprise, she answered right away. “What do want, Ben?”
“Listen, calm down. I just want to explain what happened. Will you please hear me out? Then I won't bug you again.” I said.
“Sure, whatever. Talk. You have five minutes.”
I preceded to tell her what went on and I wanted to let her know that I am giving Carrie her space. She agreed that that would be wise. Once I hung up I tried to call James. After about thirty times he answered. I told him the same thing that I told Alyssa. He didn't say anything he just hung up on me. I didn't want to call Carrie so I texted her.
“Carrie, I know that apologizing isn't enough. So I just want to say. I'll leave you alone. I'll give you the space that you need.”
She didn't answer me back. I was bored so I went to the garage to tinker with the cars. It was really hot out for a fall day. So I was cleaning the cars without my shirt on. Sweat was pouring down me. I heard a car coming up the driveway. I looked and it was Carrie. I stood in the garage door holding my rag waiting for her to come over to me.

She walked up to me and stared at my muscles for a few seconds. When she spoke, she said, “I can't get you out of my mind. You're all I think about. It's crazy that I feel this way and I don't know why I do. I need to find out if what you said is true.”
I stared at her and asked, “What would like to know?”
“Did you mean it?” She asked.
“Mean what?”
“That you love me. Is it true? Is that your real feelings for me? I have to know.”
I moved closer to her, “I did mean it. I love you to the end of the Earth and back. That's why I decided to give you your space. It's tearing me up but I know that you need it. I know the way I act isn't cool. I'm trying to change that. And I swear to you, that I tried to push Allison off of me.”
She moved closer to me, “I know. I overreacted and I'm very sorry for that. But you're right, I do need time. Time to realize that I love you too and I have to leave the past behind me. Where it belongs. I hope you understand.”
I couldn't hold back anymore. I grabbed her and hugged her, “I understand. I'll be waiting for you. I'm only a phone call away.”
She backed away from me her hand moved down my chest giving me goosebumps. She said, “Thank you.” And walked away.
I stood there watching her leave. I returned to the cars. A few days went by. I had all of my school work done. I didn't hear from Carrie since she came to visit me. Dad was at work I had nothing to do. I turned the heat on in the pool area and decided to swim for a bit. I heard the doorbell ringing. I didn't think anything of it.
I jumped from the pool dripping wet and answered the door. There was this lady standing there. I looked at her strangely. She had dark brown hair, blue eyes, and was maybe five foot seven.
I kept staring and said, “Can I help you?” With my usual attitude.
“Ben, Ben Jones?” She said.
“Yes, who are you and what do you want?”
“You grew up into such a handsome young man. I can't believe it. You look just like your father. How is he?” She said.
She was still standing outside the door, “Quit dodging my questions lady. Who in the heck are you? You have two seconds to tell me.” I said with rudeness.
“You don't remember me? It's me, Ben, your mother.” She answered.
“Is this a sick joke? If it is, it's not funny.”
“No, it's really me. Give me a hug. I missed you so much.” She said while trying to hug me.
“Don't touch me. Are you serious right now? You left me when I was seven years old. I am eighteen. That means you haven't even tried to see me in eleven years. I don't even remember you. Now, you think that you're going to walk right back in my life like nothings wrong. What do you want? What do you need? Is it money? Is it that you want to use my father some more? Tell me why you're here.” I yelled.
“I only want to see my baby boy.” She said in calmness.
“You saw me. Get lost. I want nothing to do with you. You have no idea what you did to dad and I when you decided to abandon us. It took me three years to forget you and I plan on not remembering you.” I yelled more and slammed the door in her face.
She stood there ringing the doorbell. It drove me crazy. I went through the house to the garage not even worrying about shoes or a shirt. I jumped in the Plymouth and sped off leaving her stand at the door by herself. I drove to the secret waterfall and sat in my car because of the cold air and me being practically naked, thinking about the nerve that she had. I couldn't believe that she thought that she was going to step right back into my life like she never left.
I thought about how much I needed Carrie right now. I didn't call her though. I promised her. A few hours went by, dad kept calling my phone. I wouldn't answer him. I saw a car pulling in behind me. My door opened and Carrie jumped in.
“Hey, how you doing?” She said sweetly. I looked over at her, grabbed her, and hugged her tight. I embraced her for minutes. With her arms wrapped around me, she asked, “Are you okay?”
Breaking the silence, I asked, “What are you doing here? How did you find me?”
“Your dad called me when you ignored him. I knew that there would only be two places to find you. It just happens that I came here first. You've been gone for hours. Your dad's really worried about you.”
“Did he tell you?” I asked while letting go of her.
“He did. I honestly don't know what to say. I don't know what to tell you to make you feel better. But if you want to get it off your chest I'll be more than happy to listen.” She said.
I hung my head to hide the stray tears from her, “I'm glad you're here. I really need someone to talk to that understands me.”
“You don't have to hide your emotions with me. Everyone cries one time or another.”
I looked up at her and said, “I cried enough over her. It took me three years to forget her. I can't believe that she had the audacity to try and come back like she never left. It angers me. I just want to go and drink my dad's whiskey again to get rid of this nightmare.”
She rested her hands on my cheeks and said, “I'm sorry this is happening. I don't know what else to say. I can say that you controlled your urges very well. I'm so proud of you for that.” She leaned closer to me, “I love you, Ben. I miss you.” She kissed me.
I squeezed her again and said, “I love you. Thank you for coming. Did my dad say if she's still there?”
“He said to tell you that he sent her to a hotel and that she is only coming back if you want her too.”
“I don't want her too. I don't want to see her, I don't want to talk to her.”
“It's your decision. I think that you should. Just let her know how you feel. But, first you need to get home and get some clothes on before you freeze to death.” She said smiling.
I looked at myself and realized that I only had swim trunks on, “I think that you're right. I was so angry I didn't think about getting dressed.”
“It's alright. I have a wonderful view from here.”
I chuckled at her and said, “Meet me at my house.”
“I'll follow you.” She said.
I drove to my house and pulled the car in the garage. As soon as dad heard me he came outside and waited for me. Carrie pulled in behind me. I got out of the car and walked up to dad. He grabbed me and held on to me tight. I cried on his shoulder. He hugged me for a few minutes not releasing his grip. He let go and looked at me.
Staring me in the eyes he said, “I'm sorry that she did this. I thought for sure she was gone forever. This is the first I saw you cry since she left. Are you okay?”
“I can talk as soon as you let me in the house to get dressed,” I said.
“Oh, you're practically naked. By all means, go ahead.” He said. Carrie followed behind. Dad stopped her and said, “Thank you, Carrie. I don't how to repay you for finding him. I had no idea where to look.”
“Thank you for calling me. I love him and I don't want to see anything happen to him.”
I went and got dressed while they sat in the kitchen talking. I walked into the kitchen and smiled at the both of them. I sat down beside Carrie and remained quiet for a little bit. They both looked at me like they were waiting for me to say something.
I got the courage to say, “Call her. I need to tell her how I feel and that I want nothing to do with her, ever.”
Dad called her and we waited for her to arrive. Carrie held on to my arm the whole time trying to calm and comfort me. I looked at her and was relieved that she had come back. I didn't know how much longer I would be able to leave her alone. She was all I ever thought about, still. She smiled at me with a warm loving smile. And squeezed my arm in a compassionate way. I was staring into her eyes when I heard the doorbell.
Dad answered the door and I saw my mother walk in behind him. The closer she got the angrier I got. I felt my body temperature rise with every step that she took toward me. She sat beside me and I moved to the other side of Carrie. Mom stared at me with sadness in her eyes. I waited for her to say something.
Finally, she said, “I'm sorry, Ben. There is nothing else that I can say to take away the pain that I caused you and your father. I only hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me.”
I yelled, “Forgive you. You left without remorse. You said that you couldn't handle raising a child. Now that I'm all grown up you want to start over. That's not going happen.”
“I understand that you're mad. Truthfully I don't blame you. If it happened to me I'd mad too.” She said.
“I'll tell you what since I'm such a good person. A person that dad raised me to be. I forgive you but I won't forget. And I don't want to see you ever again. I only called you here so you would know how I felt about what you did. There were so many times that I needed a mother and I didn't have one. Dad had to play mom also and let me tell you, he did a great job. You weren't dead. You just weren't here. You chose not to be here. Carrie has no mother, but not by choice. You had a choice. We did just fine without you. We will continue to do fine without you.” I said rudely.
I stood up and looked at the three of them. I turned my back and began to stomp away. Mom said, “Ben, wait. I love you. I always have.”
I turned to look at her and screamed, “You love me. Last time I checked that's not what you do to someone you love. Carrie and I have what you call love. Don't you get it? I don't love you. I don't remember you and I forgot you on purpose. I will never love you. I meant it when I said that I never want to see or talk to you again.” She started to cry, “Crying isn't going to do it for me. I'm not going to pity you for something that you chose.”
“Ben, let me explain.”
“Explain what? Why you came now? Why you left in the first place? Why you had an affair with dads best friend? By the way, how's that working for you? I can't take you.”
I left the house and sat in my Chevelle. My blood was boiling over at this time. I hated her, I couldn't stand her. I started the car and put it in gear. Carrie came running from the house. She stood there looking at me. She jumped in beside me and sat there quiet. I was able to tell that she didn't know what to say.
“You have no idea how much I hate that women. Do you know that I didn't even know her when she came to the door today? I thought she was pulling a prank on me.” I said pounding on the steering wheel.
She put her hand on my back and said, “Calm down, please. You can't take off like this. It's dangerous.”
I looked over at her and hit the gas. I saw that she was afraid, but I didn't care. She put on her belt and held on. “Ben, you need to slow down.”
I looked over and noticed just how scared she was and slowed to the speed limit. I drove to the abandoned highway. I sat there looking out at the road and peeled off. Racing was a good way for me to take my frustration out. It calmed me immediately. I came to a stop, got out of the car and kicked up some rocks with anger.
Carrie waited until I was done to get out of the car. The sun was beginning to set. She sat on the hood as we did before and asked, “Will you join me.”
I looked at her beautiful features and climbed up beside her, “I'm sorry. I know I promised that I would calm down. But you don't know how it feels to have a mother that never wanted anything to do with you.” I said softly but harsh.
“No, I don't. But I do know how it feels not to have a mother. Do you remember the first time you brought me here? When you dragged me from school. You asked me why I came with you. I came because I liked you. I trusted you. That's why I told you about my mom. Your mom seems like she really wants to try. I'm going to tell you, that if I were in your position, I would at least let her explain. I don't have a mother to listen too. I'll never hear her voice again. I'll never see her again and I'll never feel her embrace again. You have that chance. That's all I'm saying.” She said sweetly.
“How can I listen to her. I can't even look at her she abandoned me. What's there to explain.” I said.
“I don't know. Maybe she felt it was better for you and your dad for her leave. I'm not saying that you have to let her in your life. I'm only saying that maybe you should listen.”
I looked at her and said, “Do you know how amazing you are. Thank you. I don't want to lose you. If you think that I should listen to her I will.”
She stared at me and kissed me, “You're an amazing person. I'm glad that I gave you a chance. You made me see that not everyone is the way I thought. Thank you.”
We sat there holding onto one another while the sun disappeared. She started to giggle. I asked, “Why are you laughing.”
“Do you plan on going back to jail anytime soon? I don't know if I can be with a jailbird.” She said.
“Real funny. No, I do not plan on going back to jail, ever in my life. That place was horrible. Besides that, I couldn't live without making you mad.” I said laughing.
“Aw, I see how it is. I'm only here for you to get mad at. That's fine. I'll go.” She started sliding off of the hood jokingly.
“No, wait,” I said while stopping her. I kissed her, “I should get you back. Your dad's going to wonder where you are.”
We got to my house and she jumped in her car. I watched her leave. When I walked into the house mom was still there talking with dad. I looked at both of them and said, “I apologize dad. I know I am grounded. I'm sorry for taking off twice today.” I looked at her, “I'm not sorry for what I said to you. I feel the same. I am willing to listen to your explanation. You can thank, Carrie, for that.”
“She seems like a lovely girl.”
“She is. I love her. Too bad you won't see if we get married and have children.” I said with arrogance.
“As I said, I don't blame you for being mad. Your dad worked all of the time. I felt like he wasn't giving me the attention I needed. I took care of you day and night. I took care of your dad and the house. I became depressed and started to drink a lot to hide my feelings instead of talking about them. James was there for me.” She said.
“Do you really think that this is going to change my mind about you? You could have taken me with you. On the other hand, I'm glad that you didn't. Dad was wonderful and he still is. He did a great job at raising me. I'm a good, caring, forgiving person. No thanks to you. I'm not sorry for being so harsh. This is the facts. I don't need you and I don't want you in my life. I went 11 years without you. I can definitely go the rest of my life without you.”
“Please....”
I stopped her in mid-sentence, “Don't beg me. It won't work. Dad, I'm going to bed. I love you.”
I went to my room and fell asleep. The next week went by fast. Mom kept trying with me but I didn't care. My suspension was over. I haven't seen Carrie since the day my mom tried to walk back into my life because of me being grounded. I stood staring at myself in the mirror and put my usual clothes on. I took the Silverado to school because dad had the keys to my cars.
Carrie was waiting for me. She jumped into my arms, squeezed tight and kissed me.
“Hello, to you too,” I said with a smile.
“I missed you. How did it go with your mom?” She said.
“She is out of the picture. I missed you too.”
We strolled into the building arm and arm. Alison came up to us. I thought that she was going to cause more trouble for me. She didn't.
She looked at Carrie and said, “Hey, what's up today? You guys sitting with us at lunch again?”
“Sure, we can. If it's okay with, Ben.” Carrie said looking up at me.
“What's happening?” I asked with confusion.
“I realized that I hurt Carrie really bad. I felt like scum for the way I treated her. When you got in my face you made me realize what's important. Carrie and I have been talking and hanging out since you've been gone. I took the time to look inside and not at the surface. She is an awesome person. I consider her my best friend. I'm sorry for what I did, Ben.”
I was an understanding person and said, “No, prob. Maybe now I can get along with you. If you treat everyone with respect. Not just her.”
“I have been. You can ask anyone. They'll tell you that I have been nice to them.” Allison answered.
“Cool, let's get to class. I just came back. I can't get in trouble already.” I said.
We were in Chemistry class and Allison tapped me on the shoulder, “Hey, do you know that Carrie's birthday is coming up? We should do something nice for her.”
“I know it is,” I whispered.
“What do you want to do for her?”
“We'll talk about it after class.” Allison and I stood by the classroom door thinking about what to do for Carrie. I said, “Let's fix her house up. We'll send them to visit her grandpap. We can do it then.”
“That's a great idea. When?” She said enthusiastically.
“Next week. We have a deal?”
“Yes, we have a deal.”
I got a vacation package together for Carrie and her father. I went to see her at her house. When she opened the door, I said, “Happy Birthday, beautiful. These are for you.” I handed her a dozen of roses.
“Thank you. They're beautiful.” She said while hugging me.
“Is your father home?” I asked with a wink teasing her.
She smacked me and said, “Yes, why?”
“I need to see him too. Can I come in?”
She stepped aside. When I entered I immediately looked at the surroundings. The flooring was old and yellowed. The paint was dingy and peeling from the walls. The wood work was scuffed beyond repair and the carpeting was worn to nothing. I took mental notes of the place while she led me to her dad.
This house needed a complete over hall everything needed replaced. My mind was saying that it would be cheaper to put in a new house than to try and fix all of this. I needed to talk to my dad about it. He knew about the plan of fixing it but we had no idea that it was in this bad of shape. We also needed to get it done within a week.
“Hi, Ben.” I heard Mr. Johnston's voice echo.
“Hi, sir. I wanted to stop and give Carrie her birthday gift.” I said.
“Aren't they beautiful, dad?” She said with a smile.
“They are lovely. Thank you, Ben.” Mr. Johnston said.
I looked at both of them and said, “Sit down, Carrie. I have more than that for you.”
“Really, this is fine. I don't need anything else.” She said pleasantly.
“Well, you're getting something else. I know that you haven't seen your pap in a long time.”
I pulled the vacation package from my pocket and sat it on the table. I kept it covered with my hand. Carrie couldn't take the suspense.
She said, “Move your hand. Let me see.” I moved my hand and slid it to her. She covered her mouth in disbelief. “Are you serious? This is amazing, Ben.” She jumped up and hugged me tightly. “Thank you so much.”
Mr. Johnston asked, “What is?”
“It's a vacation package. For you and Carrie to go see your dad. I know how much Carrie loves and misses him. I thought this would be the best gift for her.” I said compassionately.
“This is great, Ben. When is it for?” He asked.
“You guys leave tomorrow.”
“What about work? Your dad just gave me this job.”
“Dad knows all about it. He agreed to give you the time. You two better get packing.” I said.
“Thank you. I appreciate it.” Mr. Johnston said.
“No big deal. I'll get going so you two can pack.” I looked at Carrie and said, “You better call me the minute you get back.”
I knew that I was going to be at her house when she got back to reveal it but I had to make it look good.
“I will, I promise. I love you.” She gave me a passionate kiss.
“I love you. I'll see you when you get back.”
I left and talked to my dad about the house. He agreed with me. The next day we got as many people together that we could to help with the demolition. It only took a few days to get the house tore down and hauled away. It impressed me that so many people offered to help us with this project. Allison was there and one of the best workers we had.
They settled the new house on the foundation and left the interior up to us. I stood looking at the house and was satisfied with it. The house was contained to one floor. It had a bluish gray siding with white shutters. We had a landscaper come in and plant flowers and shrubs to spruce up the yard. I went inside to check it out. It was wall-to-wall cherry hard wood floor. The kitchen, dining, and living areas were an open concept with an island in the middle to divide the rooms.
It was perfect. We replaced all of the furniture with brand new simple but modern things. There was one day left before Carrie and her dad came home. I thought about what she said about my mother. I went home and decided to call her.
She answered her phone, “Hello.” I was quiet. She said, “Hello, who is this?”
“Corenda, it's me, Ben.”
I heard her gasp. She said, “Ben, I'm so glad you called.”
“Don't get too excited. I only called because I want to know why you decided to come back now.” I said harshly.
“I'm sick. I don't have much longer. They tried to help me but they couldn't. I'm going to die, Ben. I wanted to see my boy before that day comes. I needed to know that you were okay. I needed to see what kind of man you grew up to be. I'm very proud of you. You grew into a wonderful young man.” She said through tears.
“Why didn't you just say this in the first place? Why didn't you just tell me instead of trying to get me to like you.” I said.
“Would it have made a difference? I saw the anger in your eyes that you have for me. I'm sure you'll always have that anger toward me.” She answered.
“It doesn't make a difference. I'll always be mad at you. I'll never consider you my mother. But I do want to apologize to you for the way I acted. I've been acting out a lot lately. I'm trying to change for, Carrie. So, I truly am sorry. I'm sorry to hear that you're sick.” I said sympathetically.
“Thank you. That's all I needed to hear. I hope you and Carrie have a long wonderful life together.”
“I hope so too. I wanted to invite you to our reveal. We gave Carrie and her father a new house. I would like you to come to see us reveal it to them.” I said.
“I'll be there. I promise you. Ben, I always loved you. I always will. I'm sorry that I made the mistakes that I did.”
“Okay, Corenda. I'll see ya soon.” I said and hung up.
I laid back in bed and thought about how good it felt to apologize to her. I still didn't forgive her and I still considered her Corenda not mom. But it felt good to know that she felt good before she succumbs to her illness. Whatever it may be. I hope she has peace of mind now.
Excitement consumed my body. I couldn't wait for Carrie to return. When the day finally came, I texted everyone to meet me at Carrie's new house. I jumped in my Mustang and headed there myself. I almost passed the house I was used to seeing the old worn down place. I had everyone park down the street. My car was the only one there.
Manuel, Allison, and some of their friends were there. James and Alyssa stood beside me. I looked at all the people that helped and said, “Great job guy's. I appreciate the fact that all of you helped with this project.”
They all said, “No, prob.”
Manuel came over to me and shook my hand, “This is awesome that you did this, dude.”
“Thank you. It was all of you too. I couldn't have pulled this off without you guys.” I said.
Alyssa hugged me and said, “You're the greatest.”
James said, “You're cool. I'm sorry for thinking you were a jerk.”
“It's alright.” I said.
Allison gave me a hug and said, “I'm sorry, too.”
I smiled at all of them. By this time Corenda and dad were pulling in. And not a minute to soon, because Carrie and her dad pulled up. We had the house hidden by shrubs, so they didn't notice it when they got out of the car. Carrie and Mr. Johnston stood there gazing around at all of us.
Carrie gave me a hug and asked, “What's going on? Why are you all at my house.”
“Close your eyes. You too, Mr. Johnston.” I said with the biggest smile ever.
Once they had there eyes closed we led them behind the shrubs. I yelled, “You guys ready?”
Everyone started to clap and yell. “Okay, open your eyes.” I said.
The look on their faces were priceless. Carrie cupped her mouth and tears filled her eyes. Mr. Johnston stood there speechless. He had no idea what to say. We stood there for a moment leaving them take all of it in. Out of nowhere, Carrie jumped in my arms and cried on my shoulder. I held onto her tightly.
Mr. Johnston was able to speak. He said, “I don't know what to say.” He started to cry.
Carrie said through her tears, “I love you so much. This is the best gift that I could receive from anyone. I will never forget this.”
I kissed her softly and said, “Thank you. But we all had a part in it. It was all of us. We felt as though you and your father deserved this.”
She picked up her head and looked around, “Thank you all so much. You have no idea what this means to me.”
“Yes, thank you all dearly.” Mr. Johnston said.
Carrie and her dad gave the whole crowd a hug. “You guys ready to go inside?” I asked with a smile.
They were so blown away by the house that they couldn't quit crying. They roamed the whole place four or five times. They kept discovering new things around every corner. Once they were settled down, I went outside and thanked everyone again and told them they could leave. Corenda and my dad stayed.
I introduced Carrie and her, “Corenda, this is, Carrie.”
Carrie looked at me strangely, I whispered, “I'll explain later.”
“Nice to officially, meet you, Corenda. This is my dad, Don.”
“Hi, Corenda nice to meet you. Are you Ben's Aunt? I've never heard him mention you.” He said.
She looked at me for approval to tell him. “Pleasure to meet you, Don. I'm Ben's, mother.”
“Oh, I'm sorry. I don't believe he ever mentioned you.” He said.
“I'm sure he hasn't. It's a long story. Maybe he'll share it with you one day. When he's ready.” She said quietly.
We hung out for awhile. Dad and Corenda left. Carrie dragged me to her room. She sat on the bed and motioned for me to join her. I did as she wanted. I looked in her eyes, she looked in mine. We got lost for a bit just staring at each other.
“You wanna tell me about your mom?” She asked compassionately.
“She's dying. I thought that it would be nice to include her before that happens. And no, I'm not going to call her mom. She is still, Corenda. But, I did listen to her and I apologized for my behavior toward her.”
She embraced me and said, “I'm so proud of you. That must have been hard to do.”
“I only did it because of you. I told you that I wanted to change for you. I'm trying really hard.”
“You don't have to change for me. You're perfect the way you are. Even with your recklessness.” She said with a giggle.
My phone buzzed. I looked at it. It was a text from dad, “Corenda's gone. She had complications in the car after we left. I took her to the hospital but it was to late. She did tell me to tell you that she was happy. Not only for the man you grew into but also for forgiving her. She said that's all she was waiting for.”
“Thank you , dad.” I texted back.
I hung my head. Carrie rubbed my back and asked, “What's wrong?” I handed her the phone. She said, “I'm so sorry, Ben. I don't know what else to say.”
“There's nothing else to say. Honestly, I'm not hurt by it. It was like she was stranger.” I said.
“Are you sure? You can talk to me. Whether you knew her or not, it has to hurt a little. She was your mom.”
I sniffled, silent tears ran down my cheeks. I spoke lowly, “It does hurt. I just forgave her, Carrie. Why did she even come back? She knew this was happening. All she did was leave me again.”
“I don't know, Ben. Maybe she wanted to clear the air with you. Maybe she didn't want to let go without you knowing. Or, maybe she needed to see that you were okay and what kind of person you are. She saw that you're a wonderful person. So do I.”
“Thank you for being here for me and helping me with my many, many faults.” I said.
“I'll always be here for you. You stalked me, got me in trouble, and caused a scene in front of my house. Now you're stuck with me.” She said jokingly.
“That's fine by me. I'd love to be stuck with you.”
The days and night's went on. The more they passed the more time She and I spent together. We created a love that was unbreakable. She became best friends with Allison. Once Alison realized how good of a person Carrie was they became inseparable. Her relationship with me gave her the attention she deserved. The kids in school received a valuable message through me. Never judge a book by its cover, you never know how good it may be until you look inside.
As far as I go, I began to become a little more focused on what really matters. I settled down with causing trouble. I still did it from time to time but dad kept his deal and I got in trouble for what I did. I was thankful for that because I wanted to be a good person for, Carrie.
I thought about my mom a lot. I felt guilty that I wouldn't give her a chance. I'm grateful to know that I apologized to her it gives me some peace of mind. Carrie reminds me everyday that I did the right thing and that mom was happy when she went. She also reminds me how good of a person I am on the inside regardless of what I look like on the outside.