The Angel | Teen Ink

The Angel

December 5, 2017
By Writing_geek02 BRONZE, Janesville, Wisconsin
More by this author
Writing_geek02 BRONZE, Janesville, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Love is free. But all magic comes at a price, dearie!"-Rumpelstiltskin from Once Upon A Time


The sun rises after a cold night. Regina wakes up and goes to the opening to the cave and stretches. She can’t fly because her evil sister (who is now the queen because she married the king), put a barrier so she can’t leave because, she doesn’t want anyone to know who Regina was, she also put a binding on her wings so she can’t even move her wings. She watches the sun rise for about twenty minutes while sitting down. She goes to wear she was sleeping and grabs the rock she uses to write on the wall to count the days or years she has been there. It has been 1,460 days, since she has been exiled. She spends her days looking outside and wondering what is happening in the angel community. She is also writing a novel to distract herself. Ideas come often for her, seeing she has nothing else to do. She writes about a girl who enjoys her freedom but is later captured, kind of like her. Around noon she is sitting on her little bed she made and is writing. She can hear someone calling out her name. She walks up to the barrier and looks out as far as she can. It is a man with damaged wings for what she can see. He sees her and goes over to her. “Are you Regina?” He says after catching his breath. “Maybe. Who is asking?” she says confidently, she doesn’t want him to know that it is her because, he could have been sent to kill her. “I am Bill, I was sent to bring you back to the palace to see her majesty.” He grabs a scroll and shows her. She quickly reads the scroll and nods. She stands back and gestures for him to take down the barrier. He takes it down and binds her hands in front of her. He then grabs her to start flying. “Wait, I think before we leave you should rest. You look exhausted.” He nods and sits down. Regina can’t get away because of the binding so she just sits down opposite of him. After about ten minutes of resting he gets up and they take off. About after five hours they decided to stop so they can get some rest for the night. He went to an inn, he tells the innkeeper that she is a prisoner and to not interact with her. “Is she the one that tried to kill her queen?” The innkeeper says to Bill quietly but loud enough for Regina to hear. “So that is what she is saying I did huh?” Regina says sitting back. She scoffs and says “I did no such thing”. The guard nods to the innkeeper and he grabs a key for him. “Room 13, third floor.” Bill nods and  grabs Regina’s arm and takes her to the room. “I will be right back. Don’t go anywhere.” He leaves and Regina is feeling tired. It has been a long day. She looks in the room and see’s there are two beds. One up hanging and the other a regular bed. She decided to try and get onto the hanging bed. She jumps and is successful and she lays down and falls asleep right away.

She feels a cold breeze and opens her eyes. The first thing she sees is Bill’s face. He looks down and sees she is awake, so, he adjusts her to where she is hanging. “We had to leave at first rise so I decided to carry you.” She nods and says “How much farther till we get there?” She says questionably. “We are there.” She looks down and sees it. The beautiful angel city. Except, it’s not as beautiful as she remembers it. “What happened?” she says. “War.” is all he says. She thinks ‘There has been a war going on all this time?’ They finally arrive at the palace and guards come to welcome the soldier and take Regina to the throne room. When they get there, Regina can see the throne in the middle of a raised flooring. There are guards at every exit, lining the walls and up by the ceiling, watching Regina’s every move. They get by the steps by the throne, and they make her kneel. A trumpet flourishes and the queen enters. She sits on the throne and after a minute of silence and judging she finally says, “Welcome back, prisoner, I am sure you are wondering why your queen has brought you back.” She says proudly. “Hello, sister, yes, I am wondering why you brought me back.” The queen looked disgusted “How dare you say something like that to your queen.” She said standing up from the throne. “I am your queen, you will talk to me with respect and you are not my sister!” The queen gestured for the guards to pick her up. She walked down the steps and walked in front of Regina, and slaps her. She turned around and went back to her throne and sits down. “Now that that is cleared up, next talk about why you are here. As you were able to see on your way here, there is a war going on. I need you to help kill the prince of the Demons.” She says as the royal scroll master came over and showed Regina a picture of the prince. “Why should I do this? You have kept me in a cave for four years, and you only bring me out to help you?”  Regina says standing up more profound and almost challenging the queen. “You will do this for your queen. I remember that you are the most amazing fighter before you were taken away.” Regina sighs. She remembers the days where she would slice down anybody for her sister, but ever since she was locked up she has not trained. “You do realize that I can’t do this right away right? I need to readjust to the sword.” Regina says gesturing with her hands. “How long will it take for you to do so?” Regina was awe struck, she couldn’t believe that her sister or ‘queen’ would actually consider it. “Maybe about two days.” The queen nods and tells the guards to unbind her hands, only her hands. “You can have your wings back before you leave the kingdom.” Regina nods and the guards lead her to the armory to let her start getting used to the sword again. Little did they know, she never forgot how it was to fight, she said this just so she can try and learn what her sister has done to the kingdom.

“You can practice in private, we will be outside the door. Your partner will be in here soon.” Says the guard “Partner?” says Regina. She is not used to having a partner. A partner is just one more person she has to worry about not killing, but, she just nods and walks over to the weapon wall. She sees a sword that looks familiar to her. It was her own. She is disgusted to think that knights have been using her sword for petty little fights. She picks it up and smiles. It has been so long since she has seen it. It was made by a king who wanted her to protect him. It was made with angel and demon blood in it so it can kill all creatures, where regular swords can kill only one species. She swings it around her and giggles, reunited with the only thing she was proud of having. In the middle of jabbing the air, she hears a faint sound coming from behind her. She acts like she didn’t hear it, she counts the steps the person is taking and when they are five steps behind her, she takes the sword and slices sideways alongside her to dice the person in half. Before she can turn and see who it was, she was encased in battle with the other person. Going left then right, up and down her reflexes take over and she blacks out. Remembering the fights she was in before the exile. Her reflexes then go into the move only she knows, and next things she knows she is on top of the person, left hand on their chest, right with sword in hand up against their neck. “Nice. I have never seen that before. And it seems like you don’t need the practice.” says a well attractive man looking up at her. “Oh sorry.” is all she  can say as she takes the sword away from his neck and stands up. “You should never walk up behind me unless you would like to be killed. She says giving him her hand to help him up. “Got it.” He says smiling. “You're pretty handy with that practice sword.” he says gesturing to the sword. 
“Practice sword?” Regina says a little upset.
“Yeah, we have it here for practice. There is a rumor that it actually belonged to the man who tried to kill her majesty. But I doubt it.” He says. Regina is clearly upset by this. Knowing that multiple men have held her sword and probably treated it with disrespect, disgusted her. And the fact that people thought she was a man?
“How do you know it never happened?” she says questioning him trying to get some answers from him.
“Well it’s simple. No one can get that close to the queen.”
“Unless they were the queen's’ sister.” Regina says looking at her sword wondering if he will catch on. He looks at her surprised. He obviously caught on. He surprises her by grabbing her by the shoulders and pushing her against the wall. “How do you know about that? Only the guards are allowed to know this information!”
“Don’t worry I won’t tell anyone. I don’t want my head chopped off sooner that it needs to be.” She says smiling.
“What do you mean? Are you the prisoner they brought back?” he says releasing his grip a bit. “Yes. I am. I am also the one who ‘tried to kill the queen’. Oh, also I am her sister.” she says finally pushing him off of her. He looks astonished. Over the next few days, they fight, talk, fight, and talk on repeat. Regina finally gets tired of this. “Look, we are leaving today, so you need to stop with the act of trying to be friends. It will never happen. After we do this mission the queen will probably cut my head off or send me back to the cave.” Then she walks out grabbing her sword. The guards don’t even bother taking it away from her because they are not going to be by the queen at all so they walk on front of her and behind her. She walks to the kitchen to get a quick breakfast to eat before leaving.

An hour passes and it is time for them to leave. Regina goes to the court yard and waits for her partner. A few minutes pass and he comes out with the queen and some guards. They all walk down the steps and come toward her. “Farewell, my warrior and may your sword make contact to all who come against you.” Says the queen. She then turns to the guard behind her and picks up something. It was the key to the binding on her wings. She doesn’t hand it over to Regina but to the partner. “Take off the binding at the inn, James.” He nods and takes the key and puts it in his bag. They turn and start walking away. About half an hour passes and they finally make it to the inn. He takes off his bag and grabs the key. “Turn around.” he says and she does. She hears a click and the chains fall off. She turns around, spreads her wings and she hears a gasp. She looks around and everyone in town is staring at her. She looks at her wings and they are pearly white. Then, she looks around and sees that all the other angels wings were bloody and weathered. “Why do their wings look like that?” She whispers to James. “Ever since the war started, almost all angels have been attacked demons. Even children have been attacked. That’s why we have to stop this.” He says turning around and looking at everyone. Regina nods and they take off. “How far do we have to go until we get to the demon camp?” She says looking to her right at him. “About two days.” He says without looking at her.

A few hours later they decided to land and make camp near a lake. James goes and gets wood so they can start a fire to keep warm. When he comes back Regina is gone. “S***!” he says, she must have escaped he thinks. He then hears flapping and looks up. Regina is flying down from the sky holding something. “I went hunting and got a rabbit.” She says landing on the ground. “Would you like to skin it, or should I?” she says questioning if he in man enough. “I think you should. I have never done that.” He says looking anywhere but the rabbit. Regina just shrugs her shoulders and goes to a log to sit on and starts to skin the rabbit. After about thirty minutes, she is done and grabs a strong stick and puts it through the rabbit, then puts it above the fire. “I need to clean up real quick. Make sure it doesn’t burn.” she says walking away towards the lake. He nods even though she can’t see him. Regina reaches the lake and finds somewhere she thinks he can’t see her. She takes off her shirt and shorts then gets in the water. It feels so good, she hasn’t bathed in a while. She goes underwater and sits there for a bit. When she gets back above water, she looks over and grabs her clothes to wash them. James looks over to the lake and notices he can’t see her anywhere. He gets up and starts walking over to the lake. He stops when she pops out of the water. She starts to turn over to where he was. He quickly hid behind a tree. He peeks out from behind the tree. She is now cleaning her clothes. Regina senses someone watching her. She focuses on listening and hears a leaf slightly crunch. She whips her head around and finds James looking at her. James is startled and runs back to the camp. While he is running he is blushing. After a bit of letting her clothes dry, she gets out and puts them back on. She brushes through her hair with her hands and walks over to the camp. She decided not to say anything because if she does, she thinks it will be even more awkward. She looks at the rabbit and notices it is going to start burning even it was taken off now. She gets up and quickly goes to the fire, startling James. She takes the rabbit off the fire. She takes out her knife and starts carving it. She hands it to James and he takes it. They silently eat their food. After eating almost all of the meat, Regina gets up “I think I am going to go to bed now. Make sure to tie up the meat when you are done.” She says walking away to a tree. She flies up and finds where a bunch a branches are growing. She wraps her wings around herself and closes her eyes.

Regina wakes up when the sun is starting to rise. She gets up and stretches. She flies from the branches and goes above the treetops. She loved watching the sun rises. She hears some rustling from below and looks, when she does, an arrow comes shooting up, she had just enough time to get out of the way. She quickly grabs her sword from her sheath and flies down as fast as she can. When she breaks through the branches she is immediately in battle with an unknown thing. She sees a blade coming from her left and raises her sword to block it. Their sword are locked together, if one of them was to move their sword, they would be hit. Instead of doing that, Regina looks at her attacker and see’s they have a hurt shoulder that was unprotected. She quickly lets go of her sword with one hand and hits their shoulder. They go down and she knocks them out. Before she could straighten up, she is attacked by another, after about thirty minutes, Regina and James have finished fighting their attackers. “Where did they come from?” Regina says looking at the nearest body. “I don’t know, when I woke up they were already on top of me.” Without noticing it, one of the attackers was getting up and grabbed Regina. “Hey!” she says while trying to kick away from it. James just stands there, watching her struggle. “Why aren’t you helping me?” she says looking at him deeply. “Because, I don’t want to hurt my own kind.” he says gesturing to the attacker. “What?” she says confused. James then rubs his wings and the white rubs off revealing the black underneath. “You’re a demon!” she says shocked. She couldn’t believe it, the one person she actually cared about. He walks over to her and grabs her sword “Thanks for the new sword.” Regina just smiles, she knows that no demon can hold that sword. “Ahh!” James screams. He throws the sword up. This is her chance. She quickly does the splits and the demon holding her loses his grip. Regina quickly flies up and catches her sword. She then flies away. But, she feels something on her ankle, she looks down at her leg and James is grabbing her leg, and her smiles. He pulls down on her and she falls. She hits the ground and passes out. The last thing she saw was james landing and smiling at her.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.