The Hard Truth

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

The Present (Part 2)

His face looked so familiar, but I couldn’t put a finger on where I knew him from. When our eyes connected, he smiled, and suddenly, it clicked. I would know that smile anywhere. “K-Kayden..?” I stammered, my face pale. Shock crossed his face, and then confusion overtook it. I understood why he didn’t recognize me, over the years, I traded my old mousy brown hair for strawberry blonde, grew it out, and styled it in beachy waves every morning. He glanced at my nametag,

This is part 2 of the last chapter. I understand a lot happens in this chapter but it is a short story. 

and his face grew as pale as mine. “Remmy…” “I...I have to go,” I whispered, pretending to check my phone for the time. “Lauren will assist you.” I rushed the words out, pointed across the store in Lauren’s general direction, and scurried out of the store, color never coming back to my face until I reached the safety of my car. As I started the engine, I noticed Kayden rushing out of the store, frantically looking around. When he spotted my car, I tried to press the gas pedal, but for some unknown reason and perhaps a cruel twist of fate, my car wouldn’t move. Kayden jumped in front of the car, and opened the door next to me. Pulling me out of the car, he dragged me behind the building and pressed me up against a wall. “I-I have-” I was cut off as he pressed a finger to my lips. “Now, Remmy, listen to me. Don’t say a word, don’t try to run away. I’ve been waiting for forever to tell you this and I can’t wait any longer.” Kayden took a deep breath. “I understand it’s been years since we last saw each other. When I started dating Karly, I lost myself. I was too blinded by fake love to even remember that you existed. I don’t know why I didn’t stop you from dating-” He cleared his throat, and continued. “-him. How was I supposed to know he would be the worst thing that happened to you. Because of me, your life and any trust you had in men were thrown out the window. I can see why you’re trying to run away from me. We were best friends since 4th grade,” he grabbed my hands, “and I fell in love with you-” A gasp escaped from my mouth before I could stop it. “-I loved you for 3 years. And then Karly came to our school...and I ditched you.” He gulped. “We may have never dated, and you had no idea I loved you, but I didn’t realize how bad she was for me until it was too late. And I didn’t realize that he would ruin your life. You had no idea how hard it was for me when you stopped talking to me altogether, and cut me from your life. Nothing was ever the same for me after that.” A flood of emotions overwhelmed me, but the one that was prominent was guilt. “I’m so sorry,” I managed through my tears. I wrapped Kayden in a hug, and he kissed my forehead. For once, I felt complete, not fragile like a piece of glass. I held onto him tightly, knowing that he could heal my pain.

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

lilycollinskey said...
Oct. 26 at 12:20 pm
This book is so good. Omg, never stop making this book.