The Hard Truth

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

The Present (Part 1)

“Remmy! Get up!” Emily yelled up the stairs, pulling me out of my haunting nightmare. I gasped, breathing in the fresh air filtering out of my window and dried my tears on my pillow. Although the pain remained, the memory of the nightmare faded with each passing minute. I slowly climbed out of bed, haphazardly threw on some clothes pulled off of my floor, and trudged downstairs. Carson wagged his tail and licked me as I bent down to pet him, some of the residual pain easing with

This is part one of this chapter, I felt it was better to split it in half because the first part ends in a cliff hanger. 

each lick. Taking a deep breath, I walked into the kitchen and prepared for one of Emily’s daily lectures on personal hygiene, but it didn’t come. I looked around and saw Emily and David sitting at the table, quietly chewing their waffles. Squinting, I walked further into the kitchen. “Hello, honey,” Emily said as she stood up and kissed the top of my head, a trait that I didn’t particularly like but tolerated because it was love, which I needed. David held up his hand for a high five and I recuperated.

“What’s going on? Why are you all so quiet? Emily, where is the lecture?” I regularly joked about it, so she wasn’t in the least mad or offended. Laughing, she cleared her dish into the sink. “I felt like I was a little too hard on you. Thought you could use a break.” Looking into her eyes, I expected pity, but only saw genuine sincerity. I smiled. I never liked pity, which I received a lot of after I fled. Mentally, I scolded myself for thinking back to that night, and sighed. “I’m not that hungry, I’ll call Lauren and see if she needs any help.” Lauren was the owner of Paws and Tails, the local pet shop that I volunteered at regularly for a small salary. I dialed the number, waiting 3 rings before Lauren’s cheery voice rang through the speaker. “Hey Rem! What’s up?” “Just wondering if you needed any help today?” I asked. “Sure, we’re quite busy, if you can man the register and I’ll help the customers.” “Sure, I’ll be right over.” Clicking the end button, I tucked the phone into my purse and grabbed my car keys. “I’m heading to work,” I informed Emily as I opened the door. “Ok, I love you.” I returned the endearment and climbed into my car. Three hours later, I stared at the register, trying to digest the numbers displayed on the screen. “36.45, 36.45, 36.45…” I mumbled to myself. “Are you performing an Indian ritual or memorizing prices?” an amused voice said, startling me. I glanced up and my heart stopped.

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

lilycollinskey said...
Oct. 26 at 12:20 pm
This book is so good. Omg, never stop making this book.