The Forgotten War

Author's note: I wrote this piece after reading many love stories written in dual perspective and wanted to...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

I wrote this piece after reading many love stories written in dual perspective and wanted to try it out for myself. 

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

One: KEITH An Unforgettable Moment

It was only a few moments ago that I tossed my cap into the air, signifying the end of my high school career. Being eighteen, I was ready to leap out of the small swimming pool that was Buckingham High, and take on the whole ocean known as the “real” world and explore all the “great” in Great Britain. There was nothing on my mind but starting work full time on the farm with my older brother, Andrew, who was now legally allowed to give me a salary.
How sweet the sun felt grazing over my skin and turning my pale skin to a tinted tan. I had my mother's pale skin.
When I was younger, my mother taught me the ropes of hard labor and kissed my sweaty forehead when I made her proud. That was ages ago. Now, I swear, she sits next to the sun and sends me kisses through its rays as I work.
An underclassman in a little red dress snaps me back to reality by falling into me. Thinking on my feet, I dropped my crisp, unrolled diploma and held out my arms to prevent a nasty fate.
“Wow I am so.. Oh my goodness. Keith Edward? Golly, what a spawny girl I am to have fallen into your arms. I hope I haven’t hurt you!” The girl rambled out in a spinning haze.
I nodded my head, reassuring her I hadn’t been harmed. I’d always been a rather quiet kid, and that wasn’t going to change now. She looked at me, confused, befuddled maybe, but I simply matched her expressions.
“Well,” she broke the silence, “Congratulations on graduating, Keith, it was a pleasure falling into you. I hope we can do it again sometime,” she waved, walked away and brushed herself off once more. It was in that simple moment that I knew…
“Keith! Are you coming to the party? Prince Jeffery’s palace! Come on chap, you just graduated! Live a little!” Harold barked at me, finishing my thought of how I knew, that moment had been quiet too long.
I nodded at my best friend, “It’d be my pleasure, Harold,” and joined him in walking toward the long, black bonnet that was ready to depart. I climbed in, high-fived and waved to almost everyone, and took off my graduation robe. As the vehicle rolled away, the music started blasting and the neon lights turned on. A relaxing feeling swarmed over me and I started to let go. Just as I let go of everything, so did the bonnets brakes, and dancing turned into tires spinning, and before I realized what happened, we’d crashed.

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »