Aurea | Teen Ink

Aurea

By Realest.Feminist. BRONZE, Delmar,NY, New York
Realest.Feminist. BRONZE, Delmar,NY, New York

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."- Tupac Shakur

Author's note:

I wrote this because I was inspired by American history and discrimination in America. I also wanted to capture the diverse people of America.

The city  is painted shades of black and red. So much,so much red. Not far from us they are burning the city to ash.Soon it’ll all be set ablaze. A fire set for us. We who were silenced,we who never knew we could speak and be heard.From the ashes that will soon be at our feet we can build something new.
“Malcolm!” Whispers valentine,harshly.She waves me over and gives me orders to watch her back and to, “Pay attention,dammit!”
We make over way across the floor as we see a figure in the darkness of the palace. My gun is up before I can even think about it and Valentine is scan the hallway behind us. We move in closer and see the figure more clearly now, I can see the way his face is trying to maintain a look of steel but, instead is looking more like he is beyond afraid to die. I can see the way he holds his gun,trying to prepare himself to kill for the king. I can see it. I can see it all, I was him once.
“You don’t have to do this.” I tell him,knowing full well what’s going through his mind,” I know what you’re thinking. That have to do this so you won’t die so your family won’t die but,you can stop this all of this right now and you’ll be safe.Your family will be safe,I promise you. The king won’t win this fight,we’ve already taken the city,most of your army, and now all that’s left is the palace. Give me the location of the king,please.”
He tightens his grip on his gun and so does Valentine,both of their gun pointed straight for each other. Knowing that they would both be standing there for hours in a silent fight for their lives, I started to lower my gun.
“STOP!” yells Valentine.
BANG, cries the soldiers gun as it fires. The bullet travels slowly cutting through the air,as Valentine jumps in front of me and covers us both in a forcefield. The bullet crashes into the forcefield leaving it a deformed mound of steel. It takes me a minute to realize the speed of my heart as the bullet cross the air, the fact that I could’ve died just a second ago. That Valentine just jumped in front of me and almost took that bullet for me ,just saved me.
“Malcolm?” Valentine says,while holding my face in her hands and maintaining the forcefield, “Are all right?”
“Don’t ever almost take a bullet for me again.” I say in a cracked voice,seeing her react to the words then soften to their meaning, “Please.”
She takes the force field down and behind it, still stood the soldier. He looked me dead in the eyes with his gun point toward the floor,he just stood there more arrogant,fearless looking than before.
“Where’s the king.” I say,impatient.
The soldier still stood there,unmoving and silently taunting me with the look of superiority in his eyes. I lift my hand and with all the power I have toss him across the room.I clench my fists in front of me envisioning his throat in my hands. As I step closer to him I hear him gasp for more air to no avail. I fling him onto the wall like a rag doll and ask him once more,
“Where. Is. The. King?” I clench my fists even harder,I feel my nails about to break though my skin. I can feel,taste,smell the power and…
Then I look at him. Look at myself,what I’m doing. Look at Valentine, see her shoving her thoughts aside because of this revolution. And I stop. The soldier falls to the ground and just as I go to help him up and get him to safety. He begins to laugh. His head turns and I realize his eyes have changed from brown to blue and his hair from black to light brown. 
“What are you?” I yell,stepping away.
“What’d you mean? Have you forgotten your little brother already?” Kane laughs, finally taking on his true form before my eyes. And I see for the first time in seven years,my little brother, King of Aurea.

Valentine takes my arm and throws me behind her taking her gun out and pointing it at my brother’s head says, “What the hell is he talking about?” I can feel her tasting the bitter uncertainty she now holds toward me.
“Valentine.” I say,going to touch her arm stopping when I feel her flinch at my touch, “Please, Valentine I’m sorry but, put the gun down.”
She lowers her gun and puts it in my hand, “Shoot him.”
“Valentine I-”
“Stop with the f***ing excuses,Malcolm! You’re either with us or against us, and this,” She aims the gun in my hand at Kane’s head, “This is what we want. You with us or against us?”
Her face is the thing that gives her away.Her lips quiver before she turns them to stone. Her eyes fill with foolish optimism just as fast as they fill with tears as I hand her back the gun and say, “I’m sorry.”
“No.” She says,walking closer to Kane till her gun presses to the forehead of his smiling face, “You don’t get to do this. You DON'T GET to ruin this.”
She pulls the trigger over and over,and looks straight into my eyes as my brothers head fills with lead.With each bullet, I can see her turn back to the stone girl and once knew to be and by degrees I don’t see Valentine anymore. And when the guns out of ammo she drops the gun and leaves, always an honorable soldier.
Even though all of the trouble he’s caused and what I’ve lost for him I rush to my little brother’s side. Bullet wound after bullet wound are pierced into his forehead and I hate this. I hate my cowardice. I hate my self-destructive choices. I hate my brother. I hate that I failed Valentine. I hate that I didn’t kill him first.
“But,she didn’t kill me brother.”
“Kane?” He stands behind me looking between me and his own body, me with pity and his body with pride, “What- how did you-”
“Oh Malcolm, honestly I don’t understand why you try with me anymore. Now all your friends,and Valentine will die. It’s a shame too, Valentine has got an amazing a-” Before he can finish my fists interrupt him.
“Don’t you ever talk about her understand?”
“Whoa, I have no idea my big brother has locked down, well had locked down, an islands whore! Good job big bro you could’ve done a lot worse.” Kane says.
“Shut up, Kane.” I say with an eyeroll.
“Geez just tryna make conversation. I haven’t seen you for years Malcolm.” said Kane,acting like a caring brother.
“Kane we both know you’re not here to have a conversation. What do you want from me?”
He stares deeply into my eyes. I feel my heart stop and my mind clear. His voice is the only thing in my head.
“What I want from you, brother.” he says, “Is your life.”
                                  End of Prologue

This book has 1 comment.

mxkxnnxh BRONZE, Tiffin, Ohio
3 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"We are all superheroes, it's just, some of us are just awesome-r then others." -Makennah Rettig (Me).

en lukea tarina, mutta halusin kommentoida muutenkin. En puhu suomea, puhun englanti. MERICA!