Malia Dont | Teen Ink

Malia Dont

June 7, 2016
By Jade_jay8, Johnstown, New York
More by this author
Jade_jay8, Johnstown, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

My experience with cutting and depression inspired me to write this.

*******WARNING******* 

THIS CONTAINS SELF HARM 

 

"She's in room 304 sir." The nurse says. He races down the hall to the stairs and goes up to the third floor. The doctors are surrounding her bed. 

He can see the scars covering her arms and wrists. Thin white lines barely visible. The IV in her arm pumping fluids through her veins. 

He leans by her side. "Malia please wake up!!!" He says. He watches her face to see if she moves but she doesn't. He takes her hand in his and squeezes it lightly. 

EALIER THAT DAY

"YOU'RE A DISGRACE TO THIS FAMILY!!!" Her mom yells at her. "WHY CAN"T YOU JUST DO AS YOU"RE TOLD AND NOT FUSS ABOUT EVERYTHING!" She keeps yelling. 

She runs to her room and slams the door. "I can't take this anymore I just want to die!!!" She says to herself. Her phone starts ringing, her Jason Aldean ringtone blaring.

 She walks over to the table it's laying on and looks down at it, Erik. She picks it up and answers, trying not to cry. 

"Hello?" She says with sadness thick in her voice.

"Hey." He says back. "Whats wrong you sound upset."

"Nothing, I'm fine."

"No you're not I can tell when you lie. Is it your parents again?"

"Yeah it is, but please don't worry about it, I'll be fine I promise."

"I'm coming up, I'll be there in 20."

"I said I'm fine!!!" 

"I don't care I'm not gonna let you do anything stupid."

"Whatever."

"Bye."

"Bye."

She goes to her drawer and takes out a blade. The cold edge presses against her wrists. She pushes it down and pulls quickly, cutting through the skin. 

Blood drips down her arm and onto the floor. She takes the blade and does it again, deeper this time. More blood runs down her arm and onto the floor, pooling by her feet. 

She does one last swipe and she lets the tears fall down her cheeks, not caring about anything. Her door opens and Erik rushes in. 

MALIA'S POV

I fall to the floor next to the pool of blood as Erik rushes in. I feel him pick me up and carry me down the stairs. I finally pass out, probably from blood loss.

ERIK'S POV

I call 911 and wait for them to get her before I go home to get changed. 

I rush into the hospital and ask what room she's in. 

As I race up to the third floor and hope that she's awake.

 I find her room and see her surrounded by doctors and nurses. 

He can see the scars covering her arms and wrists. Thin white lines barely visible. 

The IV in her arm pumping fluids through her veins. He leans by her side. "Malia please wake up!!!" He says. 

He watches her face to see if she moves but she doesn't. He takes her hand in his and squeezes it lightly. 

The monitors start beeping faster and faster. The doctors and nurses rush around. "SHE'S FADING FAST!!!" A nurse yells. The heart monitor flatlines. 

The jagged red line now straight. I watch as they work around her trying to bring her back. They bring in the defibrillator. 

The doctor yells clear and the monitor starts beeping again. I don't know what I would do if I lost my little sister. 

She opens her eyes and looks at me. A tear falls down my cheek as I look at her. "I thought I lost you Lia. Please don't do it again. 

I love you too much and I don't want to lose the only sister I have." He says through the sobs that are racking his body. 

She looks at him and starts crying. "I love you too big brother and I'm sorry." She says to him.

Malia's POV

I look at him and start crying. "I love you too big brother and I'm sorry." She says to him.

"It's gonna be ok Lia." He hugs me tightly sobbing onto my shoulder.

TIME SKIP 2 DAYS

Malia's POV

The doctor walks in with a folder in his hands.

"You can be discharged today."

"Good I was beginning to think that I would never get out of this place."

The doctor chuckles quietly.

Erik walks in with a smile on his face.

"Guess what you get to go home to....oh he already told you. I wanted to be the first one to tell you!!!" He says.

He stomps out of the room like a little kid with a frown on his face.

I laugh at the sight; I'm not going to forget that any time soon.

The nurses come in and check my vitals quickly before they let me go.

I walk out of the room to find a very distraught Erik sitting in the waiting area.

"You ready to go?" I look at him.

"Yeah. I don't want to be in this sickly place any longer." He says.

"Neither do I now lets go home." I say.

"Well we can't go just yet."

"What do you mean we can't go!"

"We don't exactly have a way home at the moment."

"Ughhhh couldn't you have thought about that earlier!"

"Uhhh sorry?" It sounded more like a question.

"Whatever." I roll my eyes.

There will be a spoiler of Chicago Fire season 2 episode 22 and season 3 episode 1 so there will be a warning so you can skip it if you want to. 

Malia's POV

A phone starts ringing in front of me. My brother takes his phone out and answers it.

"Hello?"

I can hear a voice but I can't tell who it is or what they're saying.

"Ok thanks Mom."

Oh it's her. I roll my eyes and my brother turns around to look at me.

"Mom is gonna come get us."

"Ok."

"I want to talk to you when we get home."

"Ok."

Our mom walks through the door and hugs Erik.

She glares at me and starts walking to the car.

"Love you too Mom." I say loudly.

My brother gets in the front of the van and I go as far back as possible.

We get home and I go up to my room with my brother on my tail.

The blood on the floor is gone but my blade has been put on the table on top of a piece of paper with writing on it.

Dear Daughter,

I cleaned up the blood but I put the blade on the table instead of the trash. I don't know how many you have, not that I care. I won't care if you die or put yourself in the hospital. You're a disgrace that can't be loved. I never wanted a daughter. I never wanted YOU.

Love, Mom

I crumple the note and throw it in the trash.

Tears stream down my face.

My brother walks over to me and hugs me tightly to his chest.

He puts one hand on my back and the other on my head.

The tears continue to fall.

"It's gonna be ok Lia."

"Why does she hate me so much?"

"I don't know Lee."

"I wish I had a mom that actually cared about me, like you do."

"I have a question."

"Yah?"

"How about you come live at my place with me."

"No, it's fine I can deal with mom."

"How about this. You're coming to live with me whether you like it or not."

"Ugh fine."

He lets go of me.

"Start packing."

"Sir yes sir." I laugh.

He ruffles my hair and laughs.

I get my suitcases out and start throwing my clothes in it.

Well the ones that my mom didn't buy.

I don't have much so I'm done in the next four and half hours.

Erik owns a nice 3-bedroom 2-bath log cabin out in the sticks.

I've been there a few times and I have my own room.

We get there awhile later and he helps me bring my stuff in.

I carry my suitcases up stairs to my room.

This room is three times as big as the one back at our moms.

I could only fit a twin size bed and a small dresser in my room with a four by four area to walk on.

It sucked. Bad.

The walls back at home were pink.

The walls here are one of my favorite colors. Orange.

It matches the camo curtains, bedspread, sheets, and rug I have.

I'm obsessed with any and all types of camo.

Erik comes up to my room a couple hours later to see how I'm doing.

"You doing ok in here?"

"Yeah I'm good." My stomach growls in the silence.

"I just ordered pizza a few minutes ago." He laughs.

"Ok." I smile.

I finish putting my pictures on the wall and head down to the living room and sit on the couch to watch TV.

I go on demand and search for my favorite show, Chicago Fire.

After ten minutes of searching I finally find it.

Just as the episode starts the doorbell rings.

"I'll get it!" I yell.

Erik comes running down the stairs and stands at the bottom of them.

I open the door and see the pizza dude outside.

"1 extra large pepperoni pizza with 2 dozen buffalo wings."

Erik comes over and gives the dude his money and takes the food to the kitchen.

"Why didn't you tell me you got wings!"

"I wanted to surprise you."

"Oh."

"Eat up."

I take two pieces of pizza and the whole box of wings and run back out to the living room to watch my show.

I can hear Erik laugh as I practically inhale the wings.

He sits on the couch next to me and tries to steal one of my wings from me.

I slap his hand, "My wings, back off!" I warn.

He laughs again.

"I'm just messin' with you sis."

I roll my eyes and continue to watch my show.


** WARNING SPOILER ALERT **


"Oh no!"

I watch as the windows blow out and pieces of glass rain down on the chief.

"Please let them be ok! Please, please, please!"

"REPORT!  SEVERIDE REPORT!  CASEY REPORT!  TRUCK 81 SQUAD 3 REPORT!  BATTALION 25 TO MAIN MAYDAY MAYDAY EMERGENCY MAYDAY EMERGENCY!  ANYONE FROM HOUSE 51 REPORT!  REPORT!!!" Chief Boden yells into the radio.

"Oh no. They can't be dead they just can't be." I say.

I watch as the credits start.

"SERIOUSLY!! A FREAKING CLIFFHANGER!!! UGHHH!!!!"

I go on to the next episode.

Finally I'm on season 3!

Movement.

One of the firefighters starts moving inside the building.

"Chief Severide here. Roof collapsed we need assistance" Severide says.

I sigh.

Everyone but Mills and Shay are ok.

"Come on Shay, come on Shay, come on Shay. No. No. No. No. No. No. No." Severide says.

I start crying. 

"Come on let's get her to the ambulance. Gabby." Casey says.

"Let go!" Gabby says.

"Gabby!" Casey says again.

"HANG ON!! HOLD ON!!! Shay." Severide says.

"Gabby!" Casey says.

"NO!!! SHAY!! SHAY!!!" Severide yells.

I let the tears fall and then I scream.

"WHY!!! WHY DID THEY KILL OFF MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!!!!"

 


** SPOILER OVER **

 


I suddenly remember that my brother is sitting at the other end of the couch.

He laughs at me so I kick him making him laugh even more.

"Don't judge me for crying and screaming over a fictional character that just happened to be my favorite."

"I'm not judging." 

"Grrrr!"

"What are you a dog?"

"F*** off asshole!"

He laughs even more. "You love me."

"Whatever makes you sleep at night." I laugh.

He rolls his eyes. 

"Love you big brother!"

He smiles and ruffles my hair.

"Aye."



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.