Black and White | Teen Ink

Black and White

By ShellyToll SILVER, Rathdrum, Idaho
ShellyToll SILVER, Rathdrum, Idaho

"If they don't like you for being yourself, be yourself even more" Taylor Swift

Author's note:

I love stories that make a play off of the classic theme of 'Good vs. Evil'. I belive wholeheartedly that there are always at least two sides to every story and that even the villian thinks he's doing the right thing. So, I wanted write my own story that played with the theme. I wanted to blur the lines between black and white. 

This is purely a work of fiction! It is for entertainment purposes only. This is not a stab. If you find this offence in anyway then please move on. 

Thanks for reading! Any feedback is welcome!

Cassiel had blue eyes, wavy blonde hair, a perfectly symmetrical face, an hourglass figure, and white feathered wings. She only wore white lace dresses. She was a white spirit. She looked exactly like every other female white spirit. The males had blue eyes, blonde hair, a perfectly symmetrical face, and white feathered wings. All the white spirits lived in a place called White Skies. Everyone there is very organized, perfect, and generous. At least, that’s what they like to believe. They are very kind to anyone who is a straight white man or a woman who obeys man’s every wish.

Lilith had one blue eye, one green eye, short red hair, a face with a slightly fatter left side, a petite body type, and black feathered wings. She wore a lot of black leather and red silk. She looked nothing like anyone else in the Black Mines. She was a black spirit. She lived a life of chaos and freedom. In the Black Mines, there were no rules or regulations. You were free do as you wish. This led to chaos but the black spirits enjoyed it very much.

The White Skies and Black Mines were constantly at war with each other. The white spirits believed that the black ones needed more morals. The black spirits believed that the white ones were too strict. The realm of the mortals, otherwise known as Earth, was often brought into the mess the spirits caused. Discrimination and suicide were an earthly issue thanks to the white spirits. Pain and murder came from black spirits trying to spite the whites. Eventually the leader of the Dark Mines called for his best spirit to go to Earth to try and tip the mortal forces in their favor. He called for a tournament to determine who his best spirit is.

This is purely a work of fiction! It is for entertainment purposes only. This is not a stab. If you find this offence in anyway then please move on.

Lilith was small but she was tough. Her wings were big and strong and more than enough to make up for her lack of muscular strength. She was going to win this tournament. She was determined to make some changes to this awful place called Earth. She’d only heard of stories of the mortal realm. Lilith had been told about it changing unpredictably thanks to the war of the spirits.

The boss wanted direct alterations; he wanted to use this force to tip the scales in the direction of the blacks. The actions of the spirits determined how the mortals went about their life. The actions of mortals were what determined how power was distributed amongst the realms. Right now the white side had the advantage. 

“Hey Lilith, come to watch me win?” a black haired man asked.

“No Malik, I’m here to watch you lose, to me.” Lilith laughs at the man.

“Oh then where’s you’re weapon?” he asked, holding up a mace.

She sat up and took a smallish wooden plank off of the bench, “Feast your eyes on this deadly masterpiece.”

He burst out laughing, “What kind of joke is this?”

“The kind that’s deadly serious.” she smirked.

“Uh, then it’s not a joke.” He stared at her confused then wacked her in the head with his fist, “Come on Lilith, I thought you were smart.”

She flinched in pain before responding, “That’s the point, I wasn’t joking.” She wacked him hard in the head with her plank, “Come on Malik, I thought you were smarter than that.”

“Hey that hurt.” he swung his mace at her feet and she flew up so the weapon barely scraped her feet.

She folded her arms, “If that hurt then it mustn’t be that funny. I hope that bump on your head won’t affect your fighting.”

“You little…” he groaned.

“Nice seeing you too.” She laughed as she flew towards the arena. She started flinging her plank around in preparation. Her choice of weapon may be underestimated but that was a good thing. She could throw the enemy off-guard when she slapped them with her board after successfully dodging an attack. She may not be able to beat them to the ground but she could tire them out with her speed. All she had to was outlast them. Lilith was confident she could defeat whoever was thrown at her, especially if it was Malik. He wasn’t very smart or fast and could be easily brought down. She’d known him as long as she existed, which was a long time.   

“Attention fighters! The tournament will begin in one minute. Our starting fighters will be Malik and Adrienne.” shouted a seemingly disembodied voice.

This should be an interesting battle. Malik is pure brutal strength, if he wants to hurt someone all it takes is one hit and they’re unconscious for a month. Adrienne however, is a master manipulator. She is gorgeous and very flirty. Any man she goes up against is doomed. Malik has a tendency to be especially vulnerable to her charms.

“Hey Malik, don’t let her get to your head!” Lilith yelled, “I’d like to beat you up myself!”

“Hah, she has nothing on me!” he replied as usual, “But I don’t think you’ll get past the first round.”  

“Don’t count on it!” she laughed. Yeah, there was no way he’d win.

The fight began and Malik stood in a fighting stance, holding his mace up high. Adrienne had a bow in her hands. Her pitch black hair fell down to her quiver of arrows. She pulled one out and shot it towards Malik. He hit the arrow with his mace, breaking it into hundreds of pieces. He smirked proudly. Adrienne just rolled her eyes before flying up and shooting him with a dozen more arrows. Malik managed to hit most of them away but still had one sticking out of his left shoulder and another out of his right foot. He angrily pulled them out and then charged at her. She was hit in the right wing and went falling to the hard floor. She was badly damaged but you couldn’t see any pain.

“Please, don’t” she cried tears but Lilith knew they were fake, “It really hurts.” Malik slowly started to lower his mace. Lilith wanted to go over there and beat him to smithereens herself. How could he continuously fall for her stupid tricks?  

“Don’t listen to her you dumb brute!” she yelled.

“Hey! Don’t talk to me like that Tiny!” he turned to yell back. Oh stupid Malik, Adrienne struck an arrow to each wing. He cried out, swinging his mace at her but missing considerably. She laughed as she shot more arrows at him. He had at least ten arrows sticking out of his chest now. He wailed in pain, desperately trying to pull the things out. She ran over to him and kicked him down. She shoved even more arrows into his back.

Malik finally starting crying out for mercy, “I surrender! I surrender!”

“You idiot!” Lilith screamed at him. Why did this happen every time? You would think that he would learn.

“Indeed, little sister” Adrienne looked to her and nodded.

“You filthy scum” Lilith said between gritted teeth.

“Sister, why do you hurt me?” she said with a pretend look of hurt, “You always root for your boyfriend.”

“Ew!” Lilith replied in disgust, “Malik is not my boyfriend! I only choose him over you because you’re slimy and I hate you.”

“But Lilith, I’m big sister.” Adrienne continued her little act. 

“Go to White Skies!” Lilith told her sister off.

“I think you’re the one who belongs there.” Adrienne replied, “You’re the one who discriminates against pretty people. Discrimination is a trait of the White Beings. Are you painting your wings?”

“No. Are you painting your face? Nothing natural can look that hideous.” Lilith retorted.

“Oh so very funny, Lilith. You’re just jealous that I’m way hotter. I’m sorry the boss didn’t think you deserved better features. But darling, you must get over it, it’s not my fault.” Adrienne said sweetly.

“Flip off!” Lilith screamed.

“What a great comeback!” her sister remarked. Lilith was done, there was no point. Her sister had the same amount of intelligence as her, Adrienne just accessed it much faster. She would just have to hope they get matched together, that way she could show up her big sibling. For now she’d ignore her just like Adrienne ignored the raging battle going on around her.

Thanks for reading! Any feedback is welcome! And yes I will get to Cassiel soon.

It was finally Lilith’s turn to fight. She walked into the arena with her plank. Her opponent was some guy who she had never met before. He rolled his eyes and smiled at her. He pulled out a large sword that looked very sharp. One good hit from that thing and could be done for.
“What’s a little girl doing here?” he taunted. Lilith quickly flew over him and wacked him in the back of the head.
“Kicking your butt” she replied with a smirk. The man whipped around and swung his sword at her. Lilith’s feet were scraped at the bottom. She whimpered quietly. No, she couldn’t let her dying feet stop her. She could fly, feet weren’t a necessity. The man swung his sword at her again, barely missing. Lilith flew us high as she could as fast as she could. The man followed and he was only a yard below her. She then quickly did a nosedive and came crashing down on to him with her plank her front of her. He managed to slash her arm before he came crashing to the ground. Lilith stayed attached to him, holding down one of his wings so that he couldn’t fly back up. The impact hurt a bit but she was alright. She hit him in the face with her plank and he went unconscious. She won this round.  Although anyone she faces in the next one will be a lot harder.
Lilith couldn’t walk away so instead she flew back to her seat. There was one more battle left before the next round. She didn’t know either of the people competing so she just kind of spaced off while one person hit the other. Lilith got lost in her own little world filled with nothingness and lost track of what was going on.
“Lilith” someone shoved her back to reality, “Come on, I’ll try to go easy on you.” It was Adrienne. So, they did get paired up together. Someone must have wanted them to resolve their conflict. Lilith planned on beating her sister no matter what.
“No need” Lilith replied. They entered the battlefield, weapons at ready.
“Whatever possessed you to bring a silly little wooden toy to an all-out battle little sister?” Adrienne asked with her usual sweet disguise. She was anything but kind. But then again, this was the mines and no one was genuinely kind down here. Adrienne proved it by shooting Lilith in the knee with no hesitation. Lilith let out a small cry but then sprang towards her sister, swinging her plank. Adrienne dodged masterfully and kicked Lilith away.
“Face it; I’m just more gifted than you. Acceptance is the first step to happiness.” Adrienne tilted her head.
“What don’t you just shut up?” Lilith responded, once again lunging forwards with her sorry excuse for a weapon. Maybe Malik was right and she should have found herself something deadly. She wasn’t so deadly serious anymore. Now she was a weakling who has an overwhelming need to win. She was to completive, she always got into trouble because she over-estimated her abilities. She rushed into things because she wanted to better. Pride was a dangerous thing.
Adrienne forced a sigh as she shot a bunch of arrows at Lilith. Five hit and Lilith fell to the ground.
“Had enough yet? I don’t want to hurt you too much.” Adrienne smiled but only her younger sibling could see the evil behind it. Lilith pulled out an arrow with a single pull and thrusted towards Adrienne. It pierced her chest and cried out in pain.
“Ow!” she cried out almost too dramatically, “Why would you do this to your only sister?” Lilith pulled another arrow away from herself and directed to Adrienne’s left wing. Lilith heard whimpers of pain but she pulled yet another arrow out so that she could shove one into the other wing. With a loud sigh, Adrienne was on the ground, she fainted because of the pain. At least, that’s what she wanted people to think. Lilith knew that she older sister was faking it, that’s what she did best. Why did Adrienne let her win? What was the point of any of this then? Lilith was extremely confused.
In between battles Lilith sat and pondered why Adrienne let her win, it didn’t make any sense. The two hated each other. Adrienne only did things if it was to her advantage. If she planned on letting Lilith win, why would she have bothered hurting her? Adrienne obviously didn’t want to go to Earth so why would she bother even entering? There had to be some sort of devious plan behind all this. Lilith knew that much, she just didn’t know what that plan was.
Lilith fought hard in the next two battles. She came out victorious with a few more cuts to the arm and stabs in the back. Her right wing was slashed so she could barely fly anymore. She still couldn’t walk either. How was she going to win the last battle? She’d come so far, she couldn’t lose now. She was one of the final two but the guy she was up against wasn’t nearly as beat up as she was. Lilith sometimes wished she had the power to heal like the white spirits. They didn’t fight like the black spirits so what was the point of a power like that?
“It’s time for the final battle!” the seemingly disembodied voice cried out. How was Lilith going to fight if she had no way to move around? She slowly dragged herself towards her opponent. There was no way she could make it through this battle. The man on the other side of the battlefield knew it. He didn’t say anything but Lilith could tell he was studying her. She saw a hint of confidence in his eyes, something that she lacked. The man held nothing but a hard stone. Funny how the last two left standing didn’t have real weapons, perhaps weapons are overrated. Lilith got on her knees and started swinging her plank around, missing every time. The man threw his rock at her, hitting her in the head. Suddenly Lilith experienced a complete black-out. She had fallen backwards, unconscious.

This book has 1 comment.

on Dec. 22 2017 at 10:44 am
Volleyball_Life BRONZE, Wautoma, Wisconsin

Stay Gold, Ponyboy, Stay Gold- The Outsiders, Johnny Cade

It's a really good book, please add more soon.