Lars and Elizabeth | Teen Ink

Lars and Elizabeth

By emcorbin16, clarkston, Michigan
emcorbin16, Clarkston, Michigan

Lars & Elizabeth
It all started in 2006, Lars was in a grocery when all of a sudden an suv crashes through the automatic doors, that's when he saved Elizabeth. She had been sitting in the passenger seat when her mother fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into the store. He stayed with her all the way through till the hospital. When she finally woke up he was sitting on the chair next to the bed, and that's when he introduced himself and told her what had happened.
She didn't how to thank him, so he said “Well how bout you let me take you out for dinner or something?” her face grew red “I would really like that, but I don’t know how long  I will be here.” He came up with a solution “Well even if I have to bring the food up here I will.” she wondered why he was so nice to her, she didn't even know the guy very well and here he is, saved her life and now offering to take her on a date, was something wrong with him? She wouldn't know unless she went on the date. And so she did.
He was a completely normal guy that was just at the right place at the right time. She felt very lucky that this guy was there at the store when the accident happened. They started to grow close and like each other. They did so much together, all the things crazy couples do. Being little kids together. Throwing snowballs at random strangers in a parking lot, taking turns doing doughnuts in the parking lot, and just having fun together. One of the craziest things they did was when Lars was helping her on her journalist paper. They snuck into a factory where toxic chemicals are disposed. They snuck around taking pictures of workers breaking regulation, chemicals being handled improperly, and not being disposed of properly. She was trying to take down the big companies damaging the earth with their improper way of disposing things. They almost got caught and had to run while people chased them throwing flashlights, pens, and clipboards. But they did it together and that’s what they loved doing. They had planned a trip for years and had always wanted to go out to the Alps for the scenery and the mountains. They planned to be there for a week and the only plan they had was to ski, and explore the local area and just try everything. They were curious and wanted to just see what all else the world had to offer. They loved travelling the world together and creating new experiences with each other and just really opening their eyes and take in what the world had to offer.
During one day of exploring the local stores and restaurants they came across a lost girl. She could only have been 11, Elizabeth knew German very well since her family was mostly german, and so she grew up learning both English and German. She spoke with the girl and the 3 of them going from restaurant to restaurant trying to find which one her parents had went to. At the last restaurant they went to it was a small diner, the inside walls were a darker color yellow from the original color due to the constant smoking in the old diner. They walked up to the counter and asked if anyone with the description of the girl’s parents had been there and the waitress pointed down to the end table where 2 parents sat, the father holding the hysterically crying mother. The girl ran to her parents and yelled “MUTTI VATI!!!” and both parents looked up instantly and almost fought each other to get out of the table first. They picked her up and held her, asking many questions, and being angry at her but happy they had her back. Seeing all that was the best experience they had that entire trip. Anything could have happened to that poor little girl just standing out on the street, and if it weren't for them who knew what would have happened.
After their adventures in Germany they went out to China where Lars’s aunt lived on the outskirts of Beijing, when they arrived at the airport in Beijing they felt like they were in the future. The structure and theme of the airport made it seem like the architect spent a lifetime designing the airport, There was so much work and perfection put into making the airport. As they came down to baggage claim Lars saw his aunt, ran to her, and hugged her. She had a baggage cart to carry their stuff out to the car. It was a long and slow drive to the outskirts of Beijing in a small rural village. There they were given a small room to stay in together while they were there. They wanted to catch up with his aunt and figure out what it’s like to live in China and wanted to get a taste of the culture.
His aunt spent the next several days taking them to local farms, showing them how things are grown and made, showing them the food market and the families in town and all the chaos of traffic, going from place to place took ages because of traffic, it was terrible trying to go anywhere. No one looked out for each other, it was all cutting each other off and flipping the bird, kind of like a more crowded America, but in a different language. One thing they noticed the most was the poverty, wherever they went they always spared a little food or money to someone in need of it. The living conditions were bad enough, and if you were on the street then it was really bad.
Lars and Elizabeth spent years traveling the world, seeing things, making memories, and taking full advantage of seeing everything there was to the world. They traveled for many years and always going on new adventures. After all their adventuring years they settled down in an warm and comfy house out in the woods, secluded but still living happily. They had all they needed out there from food to the warmth of the fire. After seeing it all, sometimes it’s nice to just get away from it all, enjoy the things you did,  be happy with the life you had, and enjoy your last moments with the one you love. That’s how you live a happy life. Together.