Our Silence | Teen Ink

Our Silence

March 17, 2015
By Underdog73 GOLD, Denver, Colorado
More by this author
Underdog73 GOLD, Denver, Colorado
16 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't trust actions, I trust words


First day of school, sounds exciting doesn’t it? If you’re me you dread the first day of school over and over again. But this time its different. My Mother got a promotion of somthing like that at work. Moving us to Greenville, Washington, over night. It was three months into my junior year, and now I was expected to pack up my life in four small suitcases and move across the country. Goodbye Atlanta, Georgia, hello Greenville, Washington.
The move was quick and painless, except for my Mom getting hit in the head with a lamp. We moved into a two story house. My room was on the top floor with a window looking out onto a tree. We don’t have any money to spare until my Mom starts her job so I can’t repaint my room to cover up the horrible dusty rose color.
Walking into Highschool was the easy part. Trying to act like I’ve been there the whole year and I didn’t just start today. Yes walking into a new high school was the easy part, the hard part was the classes. I sat in the back only to be called up to the front of the class to state my name and where I was from. I said this so much that it instantly become my response for everything. My name rang through my head like a chime.
¨Charlie Reed, originally from Atlanta, Georgia.” On and on it went.
The last class of the day had to be the worst. I applied for Advanced Creative Writing, and some how they mixed it up with Advanced Cheerleading. So at the end of the day I was forced to squeeze into a skimpy green and white cheerleader uniform with a skirt so short it should be illegal.
I wasn't flexible and definitely couldn’t do the ‘up to your head’ kicks. By the end of it I was hoping to get kicked out. But no...the universe could careless what I wanted. Instead I was forced to take part in it the next day. It felt extremely uncomfortable in the tight little uniform because it’s the complete opposite to what I normally wear.
Faded out jeans, a black or dark blue T-shirt, my navy blue with white spots converses, and my faded out gray beanie which helped hide my hideous long brown straight hair.
The uniform wasn’t the only thing that was uncomfortable. The football players are on the field the same time as we are, so I had to deal with sweaty, creepy football players glancing at me every other minute.
Walking home was the weirdest part of my day. A bunch of other high schoolers in my grade live in my neighborhood. They all walk home in this giant pack. I quickly walked home opening the front door, kicking a few stray boxes as I walked to the kitchen.
“Mom?!” I shouted.
I was about to start my hunt for Mom, but there was a note on the fridge.

Hey, working late tonight won’t be home until at least 9:00 p.m. Don’t wait up for me. Found a pizza place and it’s number is on the fridge Love you! -Mom

Typical. Me and Mom ate so much pizza, I was almost sick of it! But reluctantly I grabbed my cell phone and started to dial.
“Todd’s Pizza’s, how can I help you?” The guy on the line asked.
“Um...can I get a pepperoni pizza please?” I asked.
“Sure, can I have an address to deliver too?” He asked. I groaned and ran outside to see the numbers on the door and if I could find the street sign.
“I’m….actually not sure….” I said searching for the street sign.
“Judging by the caller ID on the phone I think I can find you. I’ll be there in 30 minutes or it's free” The man said confidently. I smiled and quietly thanked him as I turned around to go back inside. I tried to turn the door handle but it wouldn’t budge.
“Oh no…” I grumbled pulling harder on the door. After three minutes I gave up and started circling the house looking for an open window. With no such luck. I circled again only to find my bedroom window on the second floor was open.
The only way to get up there was by climbing the huge cherry blossom tree. I sighed in frustration as I began to climb the tree.
Being the weakling I am it took everything in me to do a pull up on one of the branches and swing my legs over it. After I climbed onto the first branch, the rest was easy. The only thing I had to do to get inside, was money bar it to my window. I was almost positive I would fall if I attempted the climb. I had to options in front of me. Slip, fall and die. Or break the branch and get wedged in between the house and the tree.
“What are you doing?” A voice asked. I jumped a little in fright and almost fell out of the tree. I slowly turned around and saw a boy with short brown hair and pale blue eyes staring at me from his window across from mine.
“I..I..I...um well you see I…” Why couldn’t I get the words out? He was just another person I had to talk to but why couldn’t I? I knew why but the medicine is supposed to help.
“Let me guess, you locked yourself out of your house and that was the only open window you could find so you decided to climb the tree?” He said in a monotone as if he was bored.
“Y..yeah” I stuttered.
“Well, you’re never gonna make it. You’re either gonna slip or break something” A girl said popping up behind him. I recognized her, she was the head cheerleader! She’s the one who kicked me first. Suddenly the world froze. Her eyes bared into my soul like a serpents. I couldn't breathe, the tree started to shake as if it was trying to push me out of it’s limbs.
“I think she can do it” The brown haired boy said with a smile.
My lip began to quiver as I slowly turned around and grabbed onto the overhead branch. Beginning my treacherous climb.
I was almost there, just a little bit further and i’d be in my window.
I could feel their eyes piercing into my back, watching, and waiting for me to fall. But I didn’t. I gave one final swing and I landed flat on my face in my bedroom. I could hear her atrocious cackle as I struggled to pick myself up. I straightened my gray beanie and pushed some of the hair out of my face. I turned back around to close my window but I froze. The brown haired boy was climbing out of his window onto the tree. I didn’t register what he was doing until he was swinging on the exact same branch I was. I shook slightly in terror as I ran to my window. I struggled to pull the heavy window down to its latch. Before I was able to pull the window down the boy was already in my room. 
“See Silvia, it’s not quite as easy as it looks” The boy said with a cocky smirk.
“Whatever Ryan, get back over here! My English homework isn’t going to do itself!” The girl, now Silvia shouted.
“Yeah yeah, think you can do your homework yourself for a change?” Ryan said with a slight chuckle as he turned back around. He was about to exit my room when he froze. He turned back around to face me.
“I didn’t get your name” He said.
My breath hitched in my throat. What do I say? The god awful name my mother gave me? Or the nickname my father gave me before he passed away?
“Charlie” I said quickly. He flashed me another smirk.
“Your in our class, new girl. Well see you tomorrow Charlie” He said putting emphasis on my name and climbing back out my window.
When he finally left I quickly tried my luck again at closing the window. This time it finally shut with a loud thud. I locked it, not wanting anymore unwanted visitors.
I pulled the shades closed too, just as a precaution. I quickly ran downstairs to find some money for the pizza guy. Hopefully that Ryan guy won’t show up anymore. I quickly found the ‘Pizza Money’. Me and Mom always had an envelop and we’d put loose change a spare dollars we had. We called it our ‘Pizza Money’ but really it was our savings.
Ding Dong
I slowly walked to the door and unlocked it. Before me stood a black, almost buzz cut haired boy. He was about my height and he was dressed head to toe in a neon shade of red.
“Pizza Delivery” He said flashing a smile and attempting to spin the pizza box in his hand. I giggle and handed him the money.
“Thank You madam, hey…..I know you…..you're in my class Cami was it?” He asks with a puzzled face.
“Um..it’s Charlie, actually.” I said trying to smile.
“Ohh ok Charlie...Well, sir Nicholas at your service mama” He said taking off his hat and bowing.
“But you can call me Nick” He said smiling.
“Well, its uh nice to meet you Nick” I said shaking his outstretched hand.
“You too Charlie, so I guess i’ll see you at school then” He said smiling.
“Yeah...if i’m not dead by then” I muttered under my breath.
“Sorry love, what was that?” He asked handing me the pizza.
“Nothing….I uh and just not that into….school” I explain handing him the money.
“Is it the school itself or the people inside?” He asked raising an eyebrow as he accepted the money.
“More the people I suppose I mean…….it’s more the guy and that girl who live next to me then anything...and the cheerleaders” I said setting the pizza down on the short wooden coffee table. Dad made that table for mom a couple months before…
“But aren’t you a cheerleader?” Nick asked putting his pizza hat back on.
“Against my will” I answered.
“Well, then tomorrow just go change your schedule” Nick said as if it was easy. Maybe for him it would be easy, but not me….even with the medication in my body, I still can’t….
“N..n..n..no thats alright...I’ll be fine” I told him crossing my arms over my chest, waiting for the security it gives me.
“No come on, i’ll go with you tomorrow if you’d like?” He offered.
“Nick I really don’t think thats a good idea…” What would the cheerleaders do to me when they find out I chickened out?
“So? The best ideas are usually the ones that are the worst” He said smiling.
“That makes absolutely no sense” I said chuckling a little.
“Yeah, no one really gets it at first but its the truth” He said.
“Ok, you and me tomorrow during school, we are going to change your schedule alright?” He said. I opened my mouth to answer but he cut me off.
“No ands ifs or buts about it, i'll see you tomorrow!” He called and walked off to his truck.
“Bye” I whispered as he drove away. I turned around and walked back inside the house.

 


 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


HudaZav SILVER said...
on May. 21 2015 at 5:30 pm
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other
8 articles 6 photos 390 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

I am loving this book so far! The plot, your writing style, the vivid characters.. keep it up! :) PS Could you possibly check out my book "The Art of Letting Go"? I'd appreciate it!