A Life Without... | Teen Ink

A Life Without...

By bbyboo, San Diego, California
bbyboo, San Diego, California

As a 17 year old girl it is hard to believe I am anything but normal. Literally. And in the worse way. Most people agree that I am an unusual person because I write my feelings and hide them into songs, whether it is the words, or just what kind of sound I feel on any that day. I have always been bullied but I honestly didn’t care. I learned that people, no matter what they say, it won’t change me. I won’t ever stop songwriting.
    So let me make this simple. My family isn’t with the BEST kind of people but I can say that they are very understanding. I live with my mother and my brother, Alex, who is only 6 months older than me. Let me just say, he is super annoying! He would be super overprotective but he is always there for me, even when I don’t want him. My mother is the most beautiful and kindest person in the world. She is a great artist and she is also always there for me. I only have one friend but the bestest girl pretty much in the entire school. I have everything I have always wanted but sometimes, I just wish I was normal.
    I haven’t been able to sleep for the last couple of weeks and I’m not entirely sure why. I have always been laying in my bed deathly still at around 2 am everyday. It used to bothered me most of the time but I got used to it.      
    My room was really quiet but extremely peaceful in an early Friday morning. Everything placed in an organized mess. My mother has always tried to get everything in place, but I tell her it is no use. The entire walls are covered with posters of the famous musicians from Elvis Presley, to Marilyn Monroe to the newest boy band everyone loves. Two bookshelves are covered with so many magazines and books filled with music, lyrics. The bed I was laying on was done, with so many papers and ideas for an upcoming hits on either side of me.
    Wherever you stepped, there were either clothing or loose paper lying about. In a small corner of the messed room there is a bass guitar, acoustic and electric hanging from the ceiling. The walls on the outside of my room were painted with a clear creamy color with side drawings everywhere. My mother is an artist and  likes to draw anything that comes to her mind everyday, at anytime.
    Clock’s ticking impatiently while music quietly is playing in the living room as it is blended beautifully with the howling of the wind. I sit up with a pounding head due to a headache to the painfully loud sounds coming from my brother's room. Certainly must be singing terribly in the shower, I thought. When I reached my phone and turned the home screen on, it read 7:20. I lay down softly on my bed and pull the pillow over my face and I quickly pulled it off, making a confused face. Wait, it is already 7:20? I was going to be so late for school! I jumped up eyes widened and ran to the bathroom and yelled at my brother to hurry up. He was killing one of my favorite songs! I bang hard on the door, and I stood there, waiting for him to get out. To kill some time, I ran downstairs and had breakfast and I saw my mother put her plate and mug in the sink and quickly saw me walk in and said,
    “Hey honey, I left some coffee on the counter if you two wanted any.” she kissed the top of my head, “I’ll see you guys later.” she picked up her bag by the counter and unplugged her cellphone that was on the table by the door and then she walked out just as Alex unoccupied the bathroom.
    “Finally!” I shouted, so loud enough so I had made sure that my brother heard me, throwing my hands up in exasperation. I walked into the bathroom, and took a shower and got dressed.  
    As I ran downstairs, I tripped on my shoelace, fell and peeled the bottom of my shoe. Great. As I ran up the stairs to get my shoes that were in the bathroom, my brother had already beaten me to there and locked the door.
    "Hurry up, Alex, its not funny."
    “Gotta fix this hair!” I groaned and banged on the door again.
    “Alex, you’re going to school, not taking pictures and having tea with the queen,” I shout over the door sarcastically, even though I know he wouldn’t even listen to a word I say. 
   After the longest 3 minutes passed by, he got out, holding his camera on his phone and combed his hair calling out over his shoulder behind him responding,
    “This hair gotta look nice for the ladies, sis. You wouldn’t understand.” he snickered and walked out. I rolled my eyes and got out my white converse my mother had given me on Christmas.
    I will not let my brother let my day down. Not this time, I thought.
     At exactly 7:45, I got out of the house running when I hear a honk bleeding my ears behind me.
    “I thought I was going to pick you up.” Candie shouted at me locking her phone and turned her attention to me. Candie was really the sweetest friend ever. She had red hair and we met in the 6 grade. She moved here from Australia and we became friends instantly. She was pretty tall, about my height, maybe just a little bit taller. She was a red headed but it looked very cute on her, especially with her pale skin and hazel eyes. She could be super overprotective but that was what I liked about her. 
    “I’m sorry. I forgot. Today is a rough start.” I honestly said to my best friend who was waiting for me to get into the beaten up Honda.
I haven’t even shut the door correctly, she already sped out of my neighborhood and went into the freeway as if she was guest starring in Fast & Furious.
    I pulled out my make-up and pulled down the passenger side mirror when it cracked and fell on my lap. I jump surprised letting out a squeak and realized it wasn’t the first time. I have broken her passenger mirror quite a few times now. She never fixed it. She just put it back and if you touch it, it would fall on your lap. Just like me, almost everyday.
    “How many times has it been that you break that?” Candie said sounding a little bit annoyed but smiled while glancing in my direction.
    “A lot, and many more until you get this fixed.” I smiled sarcastically as I pull the mirror to the back seat.
    “Yeah,” Candie let out a humorless laugh, “Like my dad has the time to fix my car when he can’t even make it on time to my dance practices.” She stopped the car so suddenly, the car behind us screeching. I hit the back of my seat hard because of how hard and sudden she stopped the car. I turned to look at her and said,
    “Are you sure they let you pass?” I joked tightening my seatbelt so I don’t get killed the next time.
   “Ha ha. So funny, Sash. You shouldn’t be complaining about my driving because I’m your ride!” she giggled and I just rolled my eyes playfully and put my hands up in surrender.
    “Okay, Miss Sassy.” I answered and we both laughed.
    When we got to the school, I took off my seatbelt and sighed.
    “Another horrific day. WHY can’t you let me be homeschooled?” 
    “We went through this. If you leave, I will have no one to talk to, and you will become lonely.” she shrugged and we got out of the car. As we walked by, she tugged my arm and said,
    “Look. It is your bestie.” she smirked and as I looked in her direction it was Mia, the tall, pretty blondie who was always nice to people but behind their backs she was the gossipy queen and she will talk bad about you. Unfortunately for me, she hated me straight up. She was never nice to me, and I ignored her. I laughed humorlessly and glared at Candie. She laughed wickedly but still friendly and I walked to my 1 period class alone.

1st period is the worse. The girls, or I should say wannabes, are always there to ruin the entire rest of the day. I took my seat by the window, plugging in my headphones scrolling through the music I had about to turn on some music when I heard Mia’s annoying laugh and shouted at me.
    “Hey did you do the homework? Or were you too busy ‘songwriting’?” Mia said as she walked up to my table saying the last word with air quotes.
    I roll my eyes, ignoring their effort to ruining my day. I put my head down, covering my head up with my arms and sat there ignoring her until she went away. Sometimes, I can really rip her head off, I mentally thought in my head.
    As I heard their laughing and whispering I grip my pencil harder and as I was about to lose my temper and turn around but I suddenly felt dizzy. I turned around punching Mia not too hard on her face. Her high pitched scream made everyone turn around and she just spun on her heel and stormed back to the table she was sitting.
    I block out all the voices as Mia started complaining to her friends as if they could do anything about it. I try not to turn around again and slap her harder. I start working on the worksheet Miss Mikey gave us to keep my mind off of Mia’s rude and unnecessary remark and when the bell rang 45 minutes later, I got up and ran off to my next class. Hopefully I don’t get into trouble for that. She better not snitch on me… I thought as I walked in spotting Candie in the seat next to mine.
    “So what time do you suggest we go shopping? They just opened a new store at the far end of the mall.” Candie sat down, smiling and squealing excitedly.
    “Um….” I was a bit distracted, I couldn’t concentrate on my best friend. I opened my mouth to speak but before I could answer, the teacher stood up and cleared his throat as the bell rang.
    “What a beautiful morning it is to take a pop quiz am I right?”
    I groaned quietly. This is not my day. I thought to myself. The principal, Mrs. Henderson walked in with a boy behind her.
    “Sorry for the interruption, but I came to introduce a new student. His name is Stiles O’Brien and he has just moved here all the way from…. Where’d you say you were from I’m sorry,” she asked Stiles.
    “Los Angeles, ma’am.” he answered shyly. He looked around the room and when our eyes met, I felt my heart literally skip a heartbeat. I look at him then look down, pretending to look busy.  Mrs. Henderson turned around and smiled to the class. She was always the sassy adult in the entire staff I believe.
    “Oh, yes, right. Well, he will be joining your class for the rest of the year so make him feel welcome here.” She whispered something to the teacher and gave him a flirtatious smile and walked out.

“Well, Stiles. Welcome and take the empty seat at that far end over there.” he pointed at the seat beside me. Oh, this day just got slightly better!
    “Oooo you got to sit next to the hot new guy!”
    Candie whispered, elbowing me and spoke quite loudly because Stiles’s corner of his mouth turned into a smile. He was actually very cute.
    “Hi, I am Stiles.” he introduced himself.
    “Oh, hello. I’m Sasha.” I smiled. Looking at him right in the eyes made me blush.
    “That is such a beautiful name.” He said with a warm smile. Aw, that is so sweet; I think nobody besides Candie and my mom has said that before. This kid is so handsome!

When the bell rang, I stood up and walked out when I heard footsteps trying to catch up to me.
    “Sorry to bother you, but do you mind helping me by telling me where my next class might be?” he handed me his list of classes and I examined to find the class he was going to right now.
    “Sure. um you have gym class with Coach Wood.” I smiled, handing back his classes, noticing he has 3 classes with me. "Which is that way, behind that building is the locker room." I pointed to the building in front of me.
    “Thank you. I’ll see you around.” He said and walked away. I walked towards my locker when I hear someone slam against the locker next to mine.
    “So?? What did he say to you? I bet he likes you. You two would look so cute together!” Candie sighed dramatically. Wow, I talk to a new guy and she is already trying to plan a wedding I bet. I laugh and shake my head as I get the lock open.
    “Nothing. He just asked me to tell him where his next class is located. And I highly doubt he does like me. He just learned my name.” I laugh, shoving books into my small locker.
    “Oh my gosh, Sasha! Of course he is totally into you! He could’ve asked anyone in the class, even the teacher. He picked you because he likes you.”
    “Don’t assume things, Candie.” I roll my eyes playfully.
    “Fine. I will remind you this conversation when I see you two dating” she promised and walked off to her Spanish class. I groan and spent the rest of the classes 2-4 staring at the clock waiting for my lunchbreak to start.

My last class let me out early so I decided to get a head start to meet Candie by the tables which was convenient because it was right by my locker.
    I walked in the building quietly because I didn’t want to be disruptive and rude to the other classes.
    When I finally reach my locker, I turned the knob to open my locker and when I opened it, dozens of loose paper fell out and landed on the floor making a huge mess. I roll my eyes and sunk down to pick them up. When I started picking them up, I noticed that a foot was on one of the papers and picked up the paper. I look at him and I see Stiles looking at me, smirking then handed me my paper.
    “Here. You probably need this. Looks important.” he said, staring blankly at the paper and handed it to me. It was, indeed an important paper. It was a study guide for a math test I was having. I shove the paper back into my locker and shut the locker door and turned the knob. I did not want to deal with a math test at the moment.
    “Yeah. Thank you.” I answer politely, looking down as we walk out of the building slowly and talking.
    “Why are you out of  class?” he asked me, narrowing his eyes and then laughed.
I smile and laugh and then quickly stopped before I laughed uncontrollably and I answered, “I actually got let out early out of my class. What are YOU doing out of class?” I look at him, and he laughs and answers, “Well, my dear. This this is actually my free period.” he replies. Well…
    “Fair enough,” I couldn’t come up with anything to say. The bell rung and I hoped he wouldn’t stay with me because Candie would see and  come to me with millions of questions.
    “Well, I got to go. I’ll see you later?” he said making it sound like a question. I nod quickly and turn the other direction and he disappeared into the crowd of people in the hallway.
    When I got outside, I turned on my phone and pretended to look distracted until I heard Candie come and link her arm to mine and started gossiping about her friend, Everleigh and her boyfriend split up. I usually just nod my head occasionally and smile. I really honestly did not care about any kind of gossip.
    “And she won’t talk to him! She changed her relationship status to Single and unfriended him. She doesn’t want to remain friends!” she squealed as she ordered her lunch, and slapping the cash on the counter. I nod, pretending to sound interested.
    “Ooh! Look. It’s your lover, Stiles sitting over there. I don’t know why he talks to a lot of people. How did he get so many friends on his first day?” she wondered, looking in his direction in the soccer field with a confused face and then turned to look at me, eyes widened and said, “Has he spoken to you again?” she wiggled her eyebrows playfully. I laugh nervously, not sure whether I should tell her about my conversation with Stiles before lunch. She grinned wide and said,
    “So you have? When? Did he ask you out? What did he say? How come you haven’t told me?” she crossed her arms, pretending to be mad. I laugh,
    “Don’t be ridiculous, Candie. I haven’t spoken to him for a while now and I don’t plan to. Calm yourself.” I laugh and glance over at Stiles, who was standing in the field and smiling like an idiot when he got hit by the soccer ball that was kicked in the air and landed on his chest. He fell back and laughed when he kicked it around and kept looking in our direction. Candie started laughing so hard, her eyes were crying. I join Candie and he walks over to us and Candie immediately stopped laughing.
    “Uh, oh. He is coming. Act cool,” she said as she sat up straight and acted like she was having tea with the queen. I look at her and laughed to myself when he stood in front of Candie and I. She clears her throat and looks up at him and smiled sheepishly.
    “Oh hello ladies.” he smiled, looking at me and then Candie.
    “Do you mind if I get my backpack that is behind you?” I turned around and saw an Adidas backpack laying on the grass beside us. I picked it up and handed it to him. He chuckled and said,
    “Thanks. Appreciate it,” he winked to Candie and she rolled her eyes and looked away. I looked at him and he grinned, and I just ignored him trying not to laugh.
    “Well, he didn’t say anything flirty,” she said, making a disappointed expression on her face.
I laughed and grabbed her hand right after lunch and I wanted the school day to end fast.

Towards the end of the day, I decided to walk home since Candie ditched me and went to her dance class and did not bother to give me a ride home. I got home exhausted from a long dreadful school day. As I drag myself up the steps, I dig into my backpack looking for my key. Great. I knew I left it on the counter and didn’t remember to pick it up before I left the house. I bang the door, praying that someone was home to let me in.
    “Hello!” I shout, still banging on the door.  “Anyone home?!” Still no answer.  I squinted  my eyes, looking through the window and pressed my nose against the glass but still no answer.
    I groan furiously and sit on the doorsteps. Alex is out with his friends, and I highly doubted he would come just to open the door. I sat there, arms crossed, waiting for my mom to get home and let me in. I began to think of a way to get in and I realized I left the living room window open last night and went around the house hoping that no one closed it during the night so I could get in.When I reached the window, I see that it is closed and I hit it with all my strength grunting. I pull out my cell phone to call someone to help me when someone jumps out behind me and scares me. I jump up and scream, dropping my phone on the floor. I was freaked out because my brother scared the crap out of me. I glared at him, and he was just laughing so hard, he had to hold his stomach from the pain. 
    “Jeezus Alex! What is your problem?!” I cry as I pick up my cell phone he made me drop and slapped his arm. Gosh, my brother is so insanely stupid.
    “Sorry, I thought it’d be funny.” He laughs fakes hurt of his arm that I slapped. He grinned and jogged towards the front door of the house and I follow behind him,
    “Well, I didn’t think it was!” I insisted. I heard a ding as I shut the door.
    When I walked into my living room, I realize my dog isn’t here to greet me like everyday. Every time I would leave the house and come back, she would jump excitedly and beg me for a treat. Today, she wasn’t even in the same room with me.
    “Alex, where’s Snowball?” I call, looking around the room to find her.
    “Beats me. I haven’t seen that dog since Wednesday. You should really keep track to where your dog is. Ow!” he cried in pain as he took out the no longer frozen pizza out of the microwave.
   “Damn it, pizza!”
    I sit down, giving up and turn on the tv. Maybe this will keep me distracted.
Alex takes a seat next to me, handing me my slice of half burnt pizza, and I almost laughed because of the effort he put into the pizza. He handed me some juice and we relaxed, ate and talked about our day, not really paying any attention to the film that we were supposedly watching. After a while of silence, he got up to the kitchen and called out,
    “You want some?” I turn to look through the kitchen to see what he had. I smiled wide and nodded my head quickly and many times until  felt my head hurt.
    “Okay then. Calm down, weirdo,” he laughed and popped the popcorn into the microwave.
He came back a few minutes later with a big bowl of popcorn with hot sauce in his other hand. I look at him, confused and he said,
    “Popcorn isn’t good without hot sauce," he grinned wide, spreading it all over the popcorn. A few minutes later, the bowl was empty and I spoke,
    “Can you get more?” I smiled innocently. He shakes his head, responding,
    “Nah, it is your turn to get ‘em.” I got up and whined and went into the kitchen. When I slipped the bag into the bowl, I hear my mom clinging her keys and placing them on the kitchen table shouting as she walked into the kitchen.
    “Hey guys, I’m home.”
    “Mom, have you seen Snowball?” I ran to her, leaving the plate and  followed towards, impatiently asking my mother while she placed her groceries on the table. She shook her head and frowned.
    “No, I haven’t. you haven’t seen her all day?”
    “Nope. She isn’t usually gone for this long.” She pulls out her phone and answers,
    “Oh, I’m sure she’ll turn up at any moment. I’m going to go upstairs and take a shower. You two look for Snowball.
    “Nooo!!!!” Alex groaned eternally as he slid himself off the couch, slumping on the floor. My brother had a mind of a 3 year old. I’m pretty sure no “manly” guy does that!
    “Why do I have to be the one who looks for that stupid mutt?!!”
    I immediately cross my arms like 6 year old. Oh, well look who was talking Sasha! As I was about to begin to protest, my mom cuts in and helps Alex sit up, “Because you are the older one and you should be helping and having your sister’s back,” she said softly. My mom was the sweetest person ever. It is impossible for someone to be annoyed at her. She is always brightening up a conversation with everyone. I love that positivity in my mother. She lightens up the mood in the house.
    “No, Mom. It’s fine. I’ll look for her by myself.” I answer, wanting this time alone.
    “All right honey. Alex, you owe me.” she glared at Alex, playfully. I grabbed my jacket and my phone closing the door before I heard my stupid brother’s remark.

I walk outside the front gate turning on the flashlight on my phone. Why would she leave like this all of a sudden? Is she lost? I would literally die without Snowball.  cringed at the thought of someone dognapping. When I was about 5 months, my mom got Snowball at a very young age. She was only a pup and we grew up together as best friends. My dog meant everything to me and I would hate the fact if someone took her away from me. 

After all that mental thinking, I heard a noise behind me. I spun around. What the…. I stay frozen, unsure of what to do.
    “Snowball? Is that you girl?” I ask nervously moving my flashlight around to see if I could make out what was making that sound. Something ran into my direction and I was pretty sure it wasn’t Snowball. My eyes widen and I spin around on my heel and run away. Something followed me all the way to my house. I shut the door and peek through the blinds. I couldn’t see it anymore. The front yard was quiet and peaceful. That was creepy. I sigh, locking the door so nothing would get into the house and run upstairs to my room without waking anyone up.

I walk outside, walking at a fast speed, going through my pockets to find my cell phone. When I notice that my phone read 7:15, I tried to figure out what to say to Candie. I never found Snowball and I didn’t want to get out of the house because the thing that followed me home might scare me. I could tell her I fell asleep. I couldn’t come up with an excuse to tell her why I blew her off last night in the sleepover. Maybe she fell asleep and doesn’t remember. I groan quietly as I walk to my mom’s car to go get some milk she made me get from the local grocery store.
    I had just passed my driver’s test but my mom didn’t want to buy me a car just yet. She lets me use her car until she gets me my own, so unfortunately  I am stuck with grocery shopping and restricted independance but I will just have to wait I guess. As I had expected, I got loads of messages all from Candie. Instead of her being so mad, she sounded really worried why I didn’t show up to her house.
    Messages like, Why didn’t you come? Are you okay? Tell me what’s wrong,. If you want we can cancel. I’ll be over in a few. I love my best friend for always caring. I smile to myself and start the car and leave to get the milk.

I grabbed the cart and began to look for the things my mother asked me to get. Okay, I need milk, eggs, pancake mix and cereal of the one I choose. Wow, what is my mommy up to? I laugh to myself and start on my search for the groceries. As I open the freezer door to get the milk, I see a hand helping me carry the big heavy box of milk into the cart.
    “Thanks,” I thank to the person, and turn around to see who it was and to my amazement it was Stiles. He smiled big and replied,
    “Well you’re very welcome Miss Benson,” he took a bow and replied with a fake polish accent. I laugh and slap him playfully on his chest and push the cart, trying to not get distracted by him. I try not to smile when I felt him following me and glancing at the food items on the isle we were in, pretending as if he wasn’t even there.
    “Well, what brings you here today?” he finally caught up to me and asked casually while carrying a bunch of bananas in one hand.
    “I have to bring groceries home,” I answer, trying to sound casual like he talked to me.Why is it so hard for you to talk to this guy Sasha? I mentally slap myself and try to keep a straight face when he knocked over the boxes of cereal.
    “oops,” he muttered, embarrassed and bent down to pick everything up, and I bent down, and help him.
    As we got outside, Stiles helped me load the groceries in the car and I was about to get in when he told me, “ See you at school?” he asked me walking away from me slowly and until I nodded in response, he was satisfied and he turned around and walked away.
    I got home from the store and my mom ended up making pancakes for us this morning and I was helping her prepare them with so much joy and happiness in me  because it has been a really long while since my mother made breakfast for all of us. We ate breakfast and my mother, Alex and I spent the rest of the day hanging out in the mall and we got home and we stayed in watching horror movies and eating crazy junk food.
    “And I don’t know why he gave me a D on the math test, I studied!!” Alex complained to my mother, and my mom just laughed and replied,
    “There must’ve been a real reason why. I hardly see you study!” she crossed her arms in a playful manner. Alex scoffed and went upstairs and yelled at mid way,
    “I’m going to shower! Good night!” he shut the bathroom door shut a little too loudly and me and my mom hung out and watched 2 chick flicks and by the end of the last movie I was nearly falling asleep. I tried to keep my eyes open and I struggled to keep them open. 
    “You should go upstairs to sleep, honey. I’m going to leave too.” she whispered, turning the tv off with the remote. I stretch just a little so I am not fully awake.
    “Okay, good night mom,” I yawn and go upstairs. I didn’t even have the strength to change into my clothing and I slid under my covers and fell asleep almost immediately.

My Sunday’s are always my days off. I get time to write music as much as I can. I woke up this Sunday morning very tired and had nothing to do. I had slept in and woke up at 1 in the afternoon. I went downstairs to get the pizza I ordered and after I ate, I went back upstairs and I stayed  in my bedroom, deciding to stay home and work on some of my songs.
    I grabbed my songbook, not caring about all the other books I dropped, and my guitar. I literally threw everything on my bed and layed down, my stomach facing down. I began to groan eternally. My days are taking forever to go by. I was so exhausted from a very long week. I had to deal with my schoolwork, trying to bring my grade up in history so I don’t fail, and even worse, dealing with a bunch of annoying people sitting behind me in class, ready to ruin a perfect day; all of this was starting to give me a headache. Being a teenager sucked. I wonder if being an adult, a normal one at least, would be so much easier than dealing with everything that I am today.
    I begin to scribble down my ideas for a song on a sticky, head laying down because I didn’t have enough strength to keep my head up. When I was finished and didn’t feel like writing more, I slid everything off my bed, hid under the covers and laid right-side up and stared at the ceiling. Can this week get any worse? I tried not to think about anything, focusing on one spot on the ceiling. Before I knew it, my eyelids suddenly got heavier and heavier and I fell asleep.

I am standing in a dark room, too afraid to move. I turn to look at both sides. Where was I exactly? I heard people shouting at one another, running to get ready. The lights suddenly brighten the room I was in. A couple of people were walking in their outfits, and makeup people running behind them, giving them one last finishing look. The stage manager looks at me and hands me a microphone.
    “Ready to go, Miss?” he smiled, a smile that people give when they are wishing you luck on something. Before I could even ask what I was doing he led me to a place with screaming people and the band began to play and I stood there, hands shaking and my feet were wobbly, they were like Jell-O.
    When it was my cue to sing, I stood there, motionless until I saw the signs of the screaming people which I assumed were fans. But I didn’t seem like myself. I began to sing and acted as if I was never afraid of anything.

When the song was over, I stood there, smiling at all the people watching me. I see Stiles in the far back watching and smiling at me. I moved to the side stage and I hear my name being shouted over and over. I am never afraid of anything…..

I opened my eyes so fast, then I wince due to  the light coming from my window burning my eyes and I cover my face up with my pillow. How long was I asleep? I remove the pillow slowly I sit up and jump back as I see my dog laying on my bed, probably waiting for me and not waking me up. I gasped and laid on Snowball, relieved that she didn’t go missing,
    “Oh my gosh, Snowball! Where were you, girl?” I rubbed my face against her warm fluffy fur. She whimpered, standing up and running outside.
    I roll out of bed and flew down the flight of stairs, looking for some food because I tend to get hungry when I wake up from a nap or sleep.
    I got some frozen tacos out of the freezer and put them in the microwave and I fell on the couch pulling out my phone, realized it was 10:00 and it was just too late to go back to school. I kept on yawning because I was still a bit tired from sleeping.
     When the microwave beeped, I got out my tacos and spent the day watching tv, having a lazy day. I decided to turn off my phone since Candie was giving me countless messages and calls. I couldn’t deal with questions right at the moment. I couldn’t deal with anyone right now.
    When I finished my food, spent my entire afternoon watching episodes of Teen Wolf and Awkward. I go back upstairs to take a warm shower and by the time I was out, it was already time for me to go to sleep again.

I woke up in the morning due to my brother’s annoying voice.
    “All right! I’m up,” I frown sitting up wincing at the pain of my headache I was having.
    “Hurry up, Mom says I have to take you to school.” he says rolling his eyes, which probably meant he was forced to take me.
    “It’s okay. I’ll just ask Candie to drive me.” I don’t want to spend 15 minutes in a car alone with my annoying amature brother.
    “ Nope,” he said, popping the p. “ Mom told ME to take you.” he replied leaving the room before he let me answer.
    I groan loudly so he can hear my annoyance. He mockes my voice and I mock back. Why was my brother so annoying?
    About 20 minutes later, my phone began to buzz with even more infinite messages from Candie.
    Where r u? Why didn’t u come 2 school today? Call me! Are you okay? Those were only a FEW of her messages, so I finally text back, knowing I can’t ignore the world forever.
I’m fine. C u at school. My friend is so sweet. So overprotective and sweet best friend.
We rode in the car for about 5 minutes in silence. My brother was the one who broke the silence.

“OK. So??” my brother asked impatiently,  “Is there a boy I should know about?” he asked, playfully wiggling his eyebrows at me. I slapped his arm playfully.
    “No, there isn’t!” I laugh, enjoying this moment with my brother. It never happens a lot, so I take advantage when I have time to joke around with him.
    When Alex got to the school, he stopped about 2 blocks away, and I knew that was my cue to get out before anyone saw him with me. He never liked when we were seen together. That’s why I never like when he drives me.
    “See ya at home,” I close the door, waving and walking away. As I walked up the hill to the front of the school, I found Candie talking to other people. When she spotted me, I could practically hear her little  squeal as she sprinted towards my direction. She squeezed me with delight. Well, nice to see you too!!”
    “Oh! Hi, Candie!” I managed to choke out the words while my friend squeezed me to death. “I was only gone for one day!” I finally was able to speak correctly when she let go.
    “Which was the longest day ever!! I had to eat alone during lunch with a bunch of other girls who won’t even talk to me! I had no one to talk to!” Candie said, almost shouting.
    “Sorry. I just woke up late and decided not to come to school.” I answered, apologetically, hoping she would forgive me even though I knew that I had a 99% chance she will.
    “Oh, OK. But you’re fine though, right?” she asked concerned.
    “Yes, I promise I’m fine,” I say, nodding my head positively.
    “Okay, but next time you feel like that, you should tell me so one: I don’t freak out” she widened her eyes and I burst out laughing. “And so I could’ve gone over with you.”
I finally controlled myself and replied,
    “Sure, next time I’ll tell you, I just felt like relaxing on my own.” I finished my sentence just as the bell rung and we got up to walked to our 1 period.
    I sit down in my seat in first period, staring blankly at the board. Why do I have to deal with school? Why can’t I just lay in my bed writing songs all day for the rest of my life?
    I heard someone open the door, just as I got out of my thoughts, and I saw Mia walking in, wearing sweats and a plain t-shirt with a big stain on the left side of her shirt which appeared to be . Normally, Mia would wear something that would totally expose a lot of skin, and really girly like a drama queen. Kind of like my style, but I don’t dress to impress very much.
    “Mia, would you stand in front of the class and explain why you’re late 20 minutes? Mr. Farley stood up glaring at Mia in a such evil stare. He would always be annoyed if someone was even walking in the door when the bell rang. He did not accept any tardies. When I had him last year for Chemistry, he would lock the door right as the bell rang and would mark any students absent, when they were only late to class. I have never been in trouble for that, especially with him and I don’t really plan on getting into any trouble this year.
    She frowned, giving him the same glare he gave to her and stood in front of the class, looking quite bored. She was always a goody goody and never got into trouble but she seemed to act as if she had gotten in trouble many times in the past.
    “I am late to Mr. Farley’s class because I had to use the restroom, class. Which probably you don’t even care, so can I sit down?” she turned to the teacher so innocently.chewing on her gum rudely. He looked at her, wanting to punish her and then hesitated. He let out a big sigh.
    “If you get on my nerves again, I will have the principal suspend you or something. Take a seat,” he pointed to a seat in the front end of the first row. She walked slow to the seat, glaring at me with a deadly look. I haven’t done anything to her. Ever since I started middle school, she always hated me. All of her friends were manipulated by her and I never got so popular. I wasn’t exactly sure why she hated me. I literally have nothing that she doesn’t have. C’mon Sasha, stop thinking too much and focus on your schoolwork! I mentally slapped myself for being so distracted. Candie looked at me as if I were crazy.
    “Are you okay?” she whispered so quiet, I don’t even think I could’ve heard her if I wasn’t looking in her direction.
    I nod, making sure it looked like she would buy it.
    "Okay," she looked at me, narrowing her eyes suspiciously. It was so hard to lie to my best friend like that. I usually tell her how I feel when Mia puts me down, but I think she would get tired of me eventually so I stopped telling her starting from Freshman year.
    When the bell finally rang, I stood up slowly and packed up my books so slowly, very tired and wanting to be late to my next class. Sometimes I wish I was normal. I gripped my book, and when I was about to shove it into my bag, all of the papers flew out and slipped out and fell onto the floor. I gasp, not wanting someone to see what happened and when I turned around and looked up and I saw Stiles standing there, I guess waiting for me.
    "Hey," he smiled casually helping me pick up the papers and swung my bag over his shoulder.
    "Hi..." I wasn't sure what to say to him. It was kind of awkward with him.
    "So how was your day so far?" He questioned walking me to my next class. He was so sweet, holding my heavy bag and walking me to my class, risking his lunch for detention for being late to his next class.
    "Good, I guess. I am really exhausted that's all." I tried to look at him in the eyes and when I do, I blush and look away. What is wrong with me? I act so weird around him.
    "School sucks," he said fake crying and making a puppy dog face. I smile at his attempt to make my day.
    "Yup, it is. I only have a couple of months anyway so it'll be fine." I answer shrugging my shoulders casually.
    "Yeah that's good. What do you plan to do after high school?" He asked me, handing my bag back and stood outside of my class waiting for a response.
    "Not sure actually I'm planning to sign up for American idol or something. It's actually my favorite thing to do anyway." I take my bag and swing it over my shoulder.
    "Really? You sing?" He asked surprised with widen eyes.
    "And songwriter." I add, for some reason embarrassed.
    "That is so cool. Since when?" He asked. The bell rang and we stood there in silence. I was going to be late to my class, even though I was standing right in front of the classroom. I would do anything to get out of my Math class right now.
    “ For a while actually. I don’t remember exactly when I started but I guess I was about 8 or 9 ish.” I broke the silence, but I was still staring at a certain spot on the floor.
    “That is so cool. I never met a songwriter in person before. How come you’re not famous yet?” he asked, chuckling quietly.
    I laugh a little too hard, and then pressing my cold hand against my mouth, praying that the class didn’t hear me. He grabbed my arm and pulled me to the end of the hallway, as the teacher walked out of the classroom to see who was disrupting the class. When he heard nothing, he walked back in and closed the door. I sigh, relieved that I didn’t get in trouble for disrupting the class and for not being in the class on top of that!
    “Let’s skip the class today.” he suggested casually tugging my sweater gently.
    “I don’t want to get into trouble!” I scoff and turn around walking to the class. he runs and stands in front of me, stopping me from getting into the class.
    “Oh, c’mon now. You are already going to be in trouble for being late 5 minutes unexcused.” he said, begging with his eyes, hoping that I would say yes. Well, what other option did I have? I sigh, nodding my head slowly. He smiled with delight and grabbed my hand and pulled me outside the building. I laugh softly, “I am regretting this already.” I joke as I try to keep up with his pace.
    He laughed loudly, “Oh, trust me. This will be fun.” he pulled out his keys to his car. Are we leaving campus? What will happen if we get caught? Geez, my mom will kill me if she found out. As much as she had a sweet side, she can seriously get furious if you make her upset. I shivered at the thought of her yelling at me for ditching. I felt Stiles’s hand wave over my face, trying to snap me out of my thoughts and daydreams. 
    “Earth to Sasha,” he joked, laughing as he jumped to open the passenger door to let me in. “Aren’t you coming with?” he asks and I come back to reality.
    “Huh? Oh yeah, sure. Where are we going?” I tried to change the conversation so it would hide the embarrassed face I had on my face.
    “You’ll see,” he had a giant smirk on  his face as he started the car and sped out of the senior parking lot.
    “Excuse my terrible driving. I failed the first time on my driver’s test.” he winked, as I hoped he was joking about that statement. Whoever let you pass should be fired, I joked in my head mentally. I smile sheepishly and shake my head.
    “ Why is it so messy in here?” I ask, looking around at all the junk he had in the back seats. He had potato chips everywhere, and dirty clothing which I wasn’t exactly sure why he had clothes in his automobile.
    “Oh, crap. Uh.. Well you see… I.. uh… um…..” he stammered not sure what to say. I study his face. He had beautiful brown eyes that were so light, it looked hazel. He had a gorgeous, clean face, free from acne and oils. Man, he is beautiful.
    “I am not really an organized person. Usually, I clean it every so often.
    “This isn’t a really good impression for a girl.” I joke laughing as I pick up a sweater from the back that had a terrible scent.
    “Well, I normally clean it when I take a girl out. This was an unexpected event. I occasionally have it like this when there is a girl present,” he protested, fake hurt. I let out a laugh. The more I talked to him, the more the conversations got comfortable.
    After daydreaming some more, he stops at a gorgeous giant house. It had a garden on the front entrance with bushes cut out into little shapes like elephants and a dog and many more cute animals.
    “Is this….” I wasn’t sure if I could ask if it was his house with all the astonishment I had inside me.
    “My house? Yep, guilty as charged.” He stood there, watching how amazed I was as I stare at the top. The windows had a creamy silk curtains on each end, with the window in the middle had an enormous balcony, you could have a barbecue dinner there.
    “You wanna come inside anytime?” Stiles teased as he held the door open to let me in. I actually heard him and I stepped into his house looking very more beautiful on the inside.
    When I stepped in, the front floor creaked and I look around.  The only sound was the wind blowing through the window.
    “You play?” I ask looking, well I might as well should say admiring his guitar, studying it well.
    “Yep. It’s kinda dorkish I know.” he looked down embarrassed and flopped on the bed.
    “It is not,” I began to protest, “I play guitar too, as well as singing and songwriting.” I admit, holding up his guitar to play it.
    “Really? Is there anything else I should know about you that involves music?” he asked with a grin on his face.
    I laugh quietly strumming a G chord softly on the guitar and replied,
    “Yeah, I just play piano but that is it. You know everything about me that involves music,” I return the same grin he gave me.” 

“Right, well I think we should get back to school,” I suggested, not wanting to skip another period. He smiled warmly,
    “Sure. I’ll get my keys, you can wait in the car.” When he opened the door, I heard a door close in the front. I look out of his window, and I froze.
    I saw a fairly average looking woman looking like she was in her early 30’s wearing some nice jeans, and a simple shirt with hoop earrings getting stuck to her phone case that she was holding, probably trying to end a call. I move as fast as I could to the his closet when he pushed me into it and closed it.
    “Ok, crap we’re dead if she finds out we’re here,” he whispered in my ear, trying not to make any noise as his mother was arguing with someone on the phone. I grin sheepishly as I let out a small laugh at his face wincing and he quickly covered up my mouth with his hand and I laugh harder inside. I grab his other hand and when he removes his hand over my mouth he opens the door slightly and whispers back,
    “We have to get you out of here,” his sparkling eyes look into mine and I almost lost it.
    “And what about you? Unless you want to get in trouble for ditching 3 periods, you can stay.” I answer so confident, I didn’t even know I had that in me. He stopped laughing, eyes widened and whispers,
    “Damn it. You’re right.” he grins and he pulls me to the other side of the staircase just as his mother walks up and is still arguing on the phone, oblivious not knowing we were there.
    “No! I told you we are not using any of his ideas. It could mess up the project!” she slams her purse down on the table in her bedroom and closes the door. Stiles and I let out a big sigh of relief and we tiptoed downstairs quietly to not make any noise.
    Stiles was still holding my hand when we got to the front door, when we hear the house phone ring and it was sitting on the table right where we were. Stiles gasped and tried to open the lock, and pushed the door open and we managed to close it right when his mother walked to where we were standing and picked up the phone.
    We ran towards the car laughing so hard my stomach started to hurt. He never let go of my hand once.
    “That was so darn close!” he laughed opening the car door to let me in.
    “Okay, now back to school?” I tried to keep a serious face as I look at him.
    “Okay.” he looked at me serious and my heart flipped. He slowly started the engine, his eyes locked into mine, not looking away once.
    “Anytime today, lover boy?” I tease, as I felt my cheeks boil. Oh Gosh, I’m blushing. He laughs and pulled out of the driveway in silence.
    “Okay, I’m coming, Miss Sassy,” he joked, laughing as I slap him playfully, faking hurt. We drove in silence, stealing small glances at each other. Don’t be so awkward! I yelled at myself mentally. I tried to keep it cool but I began to feel my heart beat faster than usual. What is happening to me? After minutes of silence, he looked at me and asked,
    “So what is your favorite kind of music you like to write?” he turned the corner of the school slowly.
    “Um, I kinda like writing songs about trying to stand out and show myself to the world,” I answer like I normally would. This is it.. The part where he thinks I’m crazy because everyone knows I will never show myself to the real world of music.
    “You really should show out some of your songs to people!” he suggested smiling. What?
    “Yeah, sure.” I let out a humorless laugh. “I mean I would only give them out to already known stars but I guess I’m just not ready for that,” I reply, not wanting to sound harsh like I did before.
    “No!” he whined as if it really mattered to him. “You should sing them yourself. It would be more amazing if you and your song on the radio. It would be about time that they play something great on the radio than to be repeating the same songs over and over." He pulled into the school parking lot turning off the car and we waited until the bell rang for passing period.
    “Mm, no thanks.” I smile apologetically and pulled my school bag and opened the door. Before I got out, he tugged on my arm gently and asked,
    “How bout I take you home? I would really like to get some time with you to see some of your music.” he pleaded with his eyes. I gulped loudly. I never showed my music to anyone. Not even Candie. I was always afraid of them judging me and my songs. I couldn’t. I finally answer,
    “Sure. I’ll see you then.” I nod in confirmation and close his door. I pull out my cell phone and check to see a message from Candie. Where were u in class today? Everleigh told me u weren’t there! Are you ditching?? I laugh to myself when I walked to the main quad where I hang out to eat during lunch. I texted Candie, letting her know that I was here for lunch. When I was about to lock my phone, she already replied, K. C u there. Need some explanations though!
    I don’t answer and I sit down and pull out my bag of doritos I had packed. My only lunch. I was on my phone until I heard heels approaching me and Candie sat down and I was all prepared for the questions.

“Wait, wait wait. I still do not understand. He WHAT?” she screeched for about the millionth time since I told her. She bugged me about it ALL day. The school day was over and she still didn’t understand very well. I shushed her, trying not to attract so much attention. I knew telling her would be a problem.
    “OK, calm down Candie,” I tried to keep her calm but for some strange reason, I knew it was impossible to. I laugh quietly and finished explaining,
    “We just left the school and hung out as friends. No big deal.” I shrug like it was no big deal but Candie surely didn’t think it was. I walk towards the classroom because I had to figure out what I missed in the class, and I was mentally praying that it wasn’t a test or quiz or something.
    “Oh, come on! I keep telling you that he likes you. Watch, you will see that I’m right.” She shook her head and I rolled my eyes in response. Does she not get it?
    “Candie, I am not looking for a relationship right now. I just want to focus on school and my music. Boyfriends are just a distraction and I need to get my grades up because if I don’t, it’s bye bye music school,” I sigh and stand by the classroom. Music means so much to me. I can’t imagine a life without music. Spending the rest of my life without it. I will not waste my life on anything else.
    “Oh, damn,” Candie suddenly looked so down. She had always been the friend who cared about boys 99.999% of the time. Letting her down like that was the last thing I wanted to do.
    “Right,” she went from sad to a little bit annoyed. What?
    “I get that you love songwriting but there is something called, a “Life” and you don’t seem to exist in one.” she glared at me and started to walk away.
    “Candie..” I started but she put her hand up, making me stop talking.
    “No. Just whatever. Go on with your life of music and exclude me, yeah?” She turned around and walked out of the building. That was harsh.

Go on with your life of music and exclude me. How was I supposed to do that? She was my best friend and I loved her for always supporting me but she often got mad about me and my music and how much time I spend on it and it sometimes made me feel bad but at the same time it didn’t. It wasn’t exactly my fault I loved music way more than a human being should. I swung the door open and I walk up to my teacher’s desk. He was talking to another student and when he saw that I walked into the room and he cleared his throat so I could have his attention.
    “I will be right with you, Sasha.” he told me. I nodded in response and he continued to talk to the person he was talking to.
    Candie and I have fought about that same topic but she never got that angry. I wonder if she would want to talk to me again. I couldn’t lose my best friend like that. I needed her supporting me like she always had. Maybe she will cool down and apologize soon and it will get better. But if she is really mad then will she will never talk to me again. I wipe a small tear away from my face so no one could see me tear up.
    “Are you alright, Miss Benson?” Mr. Wright looked at me concerned. I quickly come up with an excuse to not admit anything.
    “Sorry, I poked my eye just now and it made it cry.” I lie, trying to sound convincing.
    “Oh, are you alright then?” he asked me, examining my eye.
    “Oh, I’m fine. I just came to pick up assignments that I missed today,” I tried to change the conversation.
    “Oh. Today we just reviewed for the test tomorrow.” he reached over to his desk and handed me a sheet that read Study Guide on it. I groan and take the paper and smile. Great. A test I didn’t even know about. Any new surprises?
    “I will see you tomorrow Miss.” he smiled and walked to the back of the class. I smile and walk out of his classroom and as soon as I left, I took out my cellular and texted Stiles that I would meet him by his car in a few.
    I pulled my headphones out of my back pocket and turned on my music playlist and played a song. I put the earplugs in my ear and continued walking to the senior parking lot. I focus on the music playing and the words sung. When I got to the parking lot, I saw him playing with his phone and when looked up and saw me, his face went from a blank face to a smile, opening the passenger door and let me in.
    “Why, that is very sweet of you, Stiles but you don’t need to do that every time.” I smile sheepishly and he closed the door and I waited for him to answer when he unlocked the driver’s door.
    “Yeah, but it’s a man’s job to keep the ladies satisfied.” he winked and kept a smirk on his face. I roll my eyes playfully and slump back in the seat comfortably and pull my knees up to my chest. I was so comfortable with Stiles. He always was talkative, never made a conversation awkward. I liked that in him. I looked at him when we got to my house.
    “Is anyone home?” he asked looking kind of nervous. I laugh at the expression on his face, as if he was afraid of my family.
    “No, you’ll be fine. My brother is at soccer practice and won’t be home till like 7 cause he will go to his friends and all and my mother doesn’t come home till 9. We’ll have the house to ourselves.” I wink and hop out of the door and slammed his car door slightly. Hopefully he never finds out about my awkwardness. Calm down, Sash!!
    “What about your father?” he asked. That was random. I don’t blame him for asking. Every time someone asks me, it makes me sad. I looked down, and thought about it.
    “My father has been gone for as long as I could remember. I never met him. My mom doesn’t even have a memory in the house of my father. In my freshman year my mother explained to me that my father loved the music world. He liked playing instruments and that he wanted to become a musician. He was on his way to accomplish his dream, but he sadly…p-pass...”
    I couldn’t finish my sentence because I flew into tears and Stiles immediately wrapped his arms around my waist and I sobbed into his chest. It has been a while since I’ve cried for that reason. I finally controlled myself and pushed myself slightly away from him. He quickly opened the front door for me and I walked in. I shoved the tears out of my face.
    “I shouldn’t have asked you. I’m sorry. Really, I am.” he apologized, looking so guilty.
    “No, don’t worry about it.” I shook my head and smiled. He looked at me and then looked around.
    “You’re house is nice.” he changed the conversation.
    “Your’s is way better!” I laugh, playing along. He grinned and laughed. “Where do you usually do your music?” I gulped. No.
    “Um. In my room. Upstairs,” I reply and lead him up the stairs to my room at the far right. I open my door and he walks in, looking around my room and he pauses looking at the song book on my table. He looks at me for permission to see it and I was about to run to hide it from him, but who could it hurt? I nod in confirmation and he picks up the notebook slowly and walks to the piano laying on the side of my bed and sits down, with my songbook and played majestically a beautiful rhythm all day long; no words, just music.

Stiles and I have been hanging out together for about a month or so. Every day after school, since Candie wouldn’t see me or say hi anymore, we would play music for a long period of time. Today, he wanted to combine my song with his music. I walk towards the parking lot, where we usually meet after school and he practically ran towards me and pulled my hand and pulled me inside the car. I laugh uncontrollably,
    “Stiles, wait! What’s the hurry? I’m not going anywhere,” I joke and continue laughing.
    “I don’t want to forget the rhythm on the drive if we take forever!!” he replied laughing with me.
    We got to my house and he ran upstairs to my room and  sat on the piano impatiently asking me,
    “Come sit?” he patted the seat next to him and I smile and took my seat next to him and he turned on the piano and began playing a sweet melody on the piano and I sat there like an idiot, not doing anything when I heard his voice singing one of my songs. When he finished he nodded at me, cueing me to sing. I took a deep breath and joined along.
    My voice and his collided perfectly. He had a good voice for a guy. It sounded like he had a lot of practice with it. We look at each other while we sang through the chorus. He looked away only to keep reading the lyrics. When he finally finished the song, we were looking at each other for a while. Stiles studied my face while I admired his voice. It  was so beautiful, I wanted to hear it all the time. Out of nowhere he leaned towards me, so close to my face I could hardly breathe. When our lips finally touched ever so slightly, I pulled back and said,
    “The music is beautiful but we should add a little guitar to pump it up just a little but the soft rhythm is perfect.” I look at his expression and it got sad.
    “Alright. Sounds good.” he leaned in and kissed my cheek but he had a disappointed face and I felt guilty for rejecting his first move.
    “If you want to take this slow…” he began saying. My face turned into a smile. So, I have never had a first kiss and I didn’t want it to move that fast. But I did know one thing. I liked him. I didn’t think I’d say it but I think Candie was right all this time. I decided to not take it slow and leaned towards him and kissed him gently with a passion. Everything inside me went on fire. As cliche as it sounds, butterflies went crazy in my stomach. He kissed me back, holding me like it was the last kiss even though it was the first. The kiss lasted a couple of minutes and I pulled back and he whispered against my lips, “Thought you wanted to take it ‘slow’” he smiled and kissed me again. I pull away just after a couple of seconds and I get my mind straight again.
    “Yeah, well.. Don’t listen to me,” I joke and push of the piano seat and laid on the couch with my song book and finished writing the song to complete it. He jumped on my bed with my guitar and started playing with the strings to come up with the new rhythm. We lay in silence, in our own little music land and stole a few glances every while or so.I blush when he looks at me, smiles and winks.
    “What?” I managed to say that when I was laughing hard again. He laughed and then quickly stopped and answered, 
    “You are just so beautiful that’s all,” he smiled, and there was no sign in his eyes that he was lying. I let out a small smile and look back down at my songbook, pretending to be reading at the song but  I was really trying to be.
    “Thanks,” I blushed and smiled, pretending like that comment didn’t affect me.
We were in my room, in silence and the only sound I heard in my room was the guitar he was playing and the pages in the book I was flipping through every so often.
    “Hey, Sasha, I had something I wanted to say to you.” he began saying, putting the guitar and guitar pick down. and looking at me. Oh no. I knew he didn’t want to hang out with me. I should’ve known. No one hangs out with a dorkish girl who songwrites. My heart dropped and I looked down, trying so hard not to break down into tears.
    “So, I was um… well… I…. I think it’s too….” he stammered, unable to say what he wanted to say. I was about to tell him to leave when he told me,
    “I was wondering if you wanted to send one of these to a producer or someone to see your music. You are too talented to have these hidden.” he begged me with his eyes and I sigh. I didn’t want them to be heard.
    “Stiles, I appreciate your help,” I smiled reassuring but then looked away and paced slowly in my room.
    “It’s just that, I never want to show them. I am already made fun of enough and I don’t need people hearing them and making fun of them. I can’t and I won’t.” He pulls me down gently and I sit down next to him.
    “But why do you care? Why got through this life without everyone else knowing who you are and what you are good at? There will always be people who hate you and others who will love you and your music. Just focus on the positive.” I almost started crying at the words he said to me. He was so nice and really was the only person who actually cared about what I cared about the most.
    “Thanks,” I showed him my appreciation by smiling and I layed down on the couch again, reading my words and thinking about what he told me. He is right in many ways but something always stops me. I know something bad will happen, and I will always be terrified of it.
    “So will you?” he asked, still pleading me. I sighed shaking my head and then pausing, then answered, “All right, fine, but you will sing it with me.” I winked and I saw him smirking and wiggling his eyebrows playfully and smiled. We spent the whole night, writing and finishing the song.

“You want to do it?” he asked me nervously, as we both sat in front of the computer, ready to publish the song. This was it. Me and Stiles’s song. Online. I kind of regretted saying yes. I was terrified knowing my voice. My song was going to be online. I nod slowly and pull my hands towards the computer and my finger holding the mouse, shakily and clicked on the Post button and we sighed together, relieved that it was finished and online.
    “Now we wait,” he smiled calmly.
    “For what?” I was confused to where this was going.
    “To see who will ‘discover’ us,” he smiled and took my hand and played with my fingers. “Can I ask you a question?” he asked. I nodded slowly, confused.
    “I really like you. And I want you to be my girlfriend. Would you be?” Girlfriend! Breathe, Sasha!!
    “So, no?” he asked sadly. I shook my head and said, “No. I mean, no I didn’t say no.” Don’t sound too desperate! He looked at me part happy and part confused.
    “I meant yes. I’ll be your girlfriend.” I laugh when he jumps up in the air and pickes me up with him and slightly and gently pressed his lips against mine, “I love you, Sasha.” he whispers. I kiss his cheek and respond,
    “I love you, too.”

(3 Months Later….)

It has been 3 months since we have posted our song online and we have not heard anything from anyone. Yet. I was still dating Stiles and when I told Candie, she freaked. She came up to me 2 weeks after we started dating and asked me and I confirmed and she squealed and apologized for the way she acted. She even said ‘I told you so’ because she knew we would get together. It has been the latest gossip around the school and it died down a little but it is still going around through the hallways.
    I packed my lunch in my bag and ran outside, and jumped into my mom’s car.
    “Did you have coffee?” she asked me glancing at me and turned her eyes back to her phone. I haven’t had coffee in forever and I wasn’t exactly sure why. It really bothered me.
    “No, not today,” I responded, just like everyday.
    “Alright. School. Are you sure you want to go. Its Friday.” she locked her phone and sat it down, whining as if she was the one going to school. My mother sometimes….
    “Yes, mom. I have a test today.” I answered, laughing at her expression on her face.
    A few minutes later, I got out of the car, just when I spotted Stiles waving at me.
    “Have a nice day, sweetie. Don’t let him distract you,” my mom laughed as I closed the door, sticking my tongue out playfully. My mother met Stiles one week after we began dating. They got along very well.
    I skipped towards Stiles and he picked me up and kissed me like it was the last. He always made a kiss feel like that. I loved him more than anything.
    “Hello, love,” he says holding my hand and swinging it back and forth so happily.
    “Well, hello to you too.” I responded, smiling stupidly. When we walked into the school, people were whispering and looking around for someone.
    “What’s going on?” I whisper to Stiles, leaning closer to Stiles. He shook his head and shrugged. This wasn’t good. Out of nowhere, I see a flash of cameras on the front of the school. I wince as people run past me almost knocking me over and if it wasn’t for Stiles, I would’ve had footprints on my forehead by now.
    “Where is she? Where is the songwriter that wrote, The Me You Don’t Know? A tall guy, about 6 foot 2 asked. He was wearing a clean suit and wore a nice pair of Marc Anthony Sunglasses.
    I froze, and he walked passed me and walked up to a girl and asked was that hers. The room went silent. I pulled Stiles’s hand and tried to get passed the crowd, wanting to see who he was talking to. Candie. I sighed, knowing she would never plagiarize my songs. When I looked at her, she looked at me, knowing it was mine because I had told her the day she apologized. But she did the unthinkable.
    “Yes, it is mine,” she cleared her throat and the guy shouted in glee and started talking to his assistant.
    “Candie?” I walk up to her and whispered, not trusting my voice to speak correctly without bursting into tears,
    “Why did you do that?” I was wanting to cry hard. She sneered and said,
    “Sorry, you didn’t claim it.” she crossed her arms. What the…..
    “Candie!” Now I was furious. My whole face felt red. Why was she doing this?
    “That didn’t mean it gave you a right to take it!!” I hissed and let go of Stiles’s hand and added,
    “and what will you do when you perform ‘your’ song live?” I used air quotes for ‘your’.  
    She laughed as if we were never friends.
    “Honey. There’s something called lip syncing. And that is exactly what I’ll do.” the guy called her over and she nodded and before she walked away, she said,
    “So nice knowing you.” she turned around, saying thank you’s and hugs to everyone in the school. No. Not Candie. The Candie I knew for almost my whole life was not her. She wouldn’t do this. This is all just a nightmare that I need to wake up from. I storm off, leaving Stiles behind, and he was trying to talk to the producer.

I sat on the bench just outside of school. Why? I knew something was going to go wrong. Why did I agree with Stiles. Everything is ruined. My best friend lied and betrayed me.
    I let myself cry because I knew I was alone. I heard Stiles sit down and leaned his head on my shoulder. I knew it wasn’t his fault.
    “Don’t worry. Everyone will know it’s not hers.” he said after moments of silence.
    “And how would you know?” I crossed my arms furiously, shoving the tears out of my face. I knew I shouldn’t take it out on Stiles. He done nothing wrong.
    “Because it doesn’t even sound like her voice when she talks.” he spoke calmly as if he were able to fix everything. I sigh, defeated and respond,
    “And how do you suggest I fix this? No one will believe me.” I was not about to cry again.
    “Well, you say that everyone at school, well most of the girls in school make fun of you because you songwrite.” He said slowly. Okay, but there is more to that.
    “Well, I guess it could work, but the fact that they are all against me. They will NEVER believe me over Candie. She is the well known, loving caring person. Everyone loves her.” I groan.
    “C’mon. We will fix this.” he took my hand and pulled me. Hopefully we do.

We got to his house and to the computer room, I took a seat next to him, wanting to find a way to get my song back. I don’t know how Candie had the gut to just steal my song. I was furious but I was also shocked she would do something like that.
    When Stiles’s computer loaded, he immediately went on google and searched the name of my song and almost instantly, all the searches said Candie’s name and not mine. MY fists turned white as I clenched them into fists. I can not explain the anger I was feeling.
    “Ok. It says here that she will be performing the song, live here in Evesham.” he paused to look at me and my eyes closed slowly like I was about to scream and break something.
    “Ok, so?” I tried to ease my breathing as I spoke.
    “So, I will take you there so you can clear things up with her manager.” he paused for a second and turned off the computer and we sat there in complete silence. I didn’t understand why Candie would do that to me. But then, it had hit me. Candie was always getting mad about my life on songwriting. So she's jealous. Tears rolled down my cheeks. How did I not see through Candie's friendliness. She was a two faced and I was stupid enough to not see the other side of Candie. Stiles wiped the tears away from my face and said,
    " It will be fine, I promise." He looked at me for a response, but I just nodded and smiled. Yeah, hopefully it will.

We got to the big concert she was apparently performing MY song a few weeks later. I took a deep breath, not letting her take down my day. I grip my seat, and Stiles glances over, and patting me on my shoulder,
    “You’ll be fine. You just go and tell this manager guy the truth.” he pulled up and found a parking spot and turned off the car. He kissed my cheek and helped me out.
    A mix of emotions took over my body. I felt anger and betrayal and at the same time I felt disappointed and guilty for trying to humiliate my best friend, knowing she wasn’t even a real friend than I thought she was.
    I got inside, holding Stiles’s hand and the other hand shaking and sweating. I was afraid. I didn’t know what to do. 
    Stiles got in and into backstage and everything looked just like my dream. Except the fact that it was real. I looked around and I was afraid if I step outside of the curtains. I spotted Candie and I turn around took a deep breath, and reminded myself that I was going to be fine. She luckily walked passed me, not noticing I was there. I sigh in relief and walk towards Stiles when I hear him arguing with the manager.
    “Is this true?” he said to me. I nodded, looking down, unable to make eye contact. He smiled and took my hand, and pulled me somewhere. Wait what?
    “Sir..” I try to ask him what he was doing, but he hushed me and told me,
    “Just trust me.” He handed me a mic and I froze when my hands were barely able to hold it in place.
    “She will lip sync and you will sing the song live.” What??
    “But.. I haven’t practiced. I…. I.. don’t…” I stammered but he walked away and I was left with Stiles holding my hand.
    “You’ll do great. I can’t believe he didn’t do anything to Candie.” he growled, shaking his head. The music started and I couldn’t even speak. I took a quick peek to Candie on stage. 
    She practically showed off, smiling at cameras as if she was living the dream. More anger was in me and I close the curtain, and look at Stiles and he shakes his head and whispers in my ear,
    “You will do great.” he stood in front of me, holding my hand, supporting me. I froze, and he walked away when I started singing my song, watching Candie on the television, when I saw the camera flip over like it was being moved, and I sung but also confused at what was going on. I turned to the stage and I heard them screaming louder and when I turn around the television and camera were pointed to me. I stared at the camera unable to figure out what to do.
    Towards the end of the song, Stiles, pushed me gently and I went through the curtain and exposed Candie’s lipsyncing and the crowd was confused but cheering for me.
    I lost the shyness and found my confidence and sang my heart out. When the song was completely over, I stood watching the crowd. Was that me that just did that? Candie was already off the stage, crossed arms and stormed away. I felt really bad for her but at the same time I felt good and proud of myself, for finally singing live. My song. My voice. My insecurities were gone and I felt proud.

“You were just AMAZING!” Stiles picked me up slowly and spun me around. He brushed his lips gently against mine and put me down. SHouting paparazzi and random people were shouting different questions like,
    “How do you feel? How was your 1 performance? When will we be hearing your next single?” Security men pushed them away and me and Stiles run out and run to his car.
    We pretty much hung out in the car, and watched the stars and he played guitar and we made some covers. Like a regular ordinary couple.
    “How did you feel?” he asked me turning his head to look at my reaction.
    “Pretty good I guess. I can’t believe I did that.” I answer not looking away. Paparazzi didn’t follow us thankfully which was kind of strange because they usually do, right?
    After 2 hours of fun, he drove me home and on the doorstep, he kissed me and said,
    “See you tomorrow,” he smirked and I slapped him playfully and walked upstairs to my room.

The next day, at school, people whispered and stared at me a lot, but I shrugged it off, as if it wasn’t a big, because I didn’t care of what other people thought of me.
    When I sat down in class, I saw Candie talking to other friends and saw me and quickly rushed over to my seat, shouting my name. I sat down, ignoring her and she frowned and started with her excuses,
    “Sasha. Okay look, I can explain…” she looked at me, and her eyes were showing her cruelty and fake sorriness. I laughed quietly humorlessly, and shook my head,
    “Look, don’t even start Candie.” I kept my voice quiet so I don’t start drama.
    “There is nothing you can do to make me change my mind. You stole my song, claiming it as your own. Just leave me alone.” I slam the book on my desk and the whole room turned. their attention to us. Great.
    “Look, I was just jealous of you. You were always perfect. I’m sorry!” she practically screamed. I shook my head and said, “I thought you were my real friend. I trusted you and you betrayed me. I will never forgive you. I was so stupid to let you do that to me. Walk away and never EVER talk to me again.”  She scoffed and walked away, shouting over her shoulder saying,
    “Fine. Who needs you. Nobody likes you here anyway so good luck finding someone who will put up with you, your terrible taste in music and your nonsense!" The class gasped and I was about to say something back when I heard someone in the front door,
    “She did actually. find someone . I  understand her. You all don’t know how talented she is. Everyone has their place in this world, and if you don’t want to support Sasha, then walk away and don’t trash talk. Thanks” Stiles winked faking friendliness and turned to me
    “Don’t listen to her.” he mouthed the words and sat down next to me. My eyes filled with tears. He defended me. I didn’t deserve that. I didn’t deserve him. The bell rang and we all turned our attention to the teacher that walked in 5 minutes later.
    “Thanks,” I whisper and he winked and opened his book and we worked on schoolwork.

Two weeks later, school was officially over. Hollywoodrecords gave Stiles a record deal. I told him to take it but he refuses. I mentally slap him, thinking, why would you throw away your chance in music. They saw him play and rehearse with me and they almost immediately gave him his record deal. He says he doesn’t want to spend his life in music without me. I want to go to the music school and today I was supposed to get the acceptance letter. I ran downstairs, grabbed a cup of coffee and ran to the mail and there it was. My letter. I opened it and sighed. I got in. I jumped in joy and pulled my cellular out and I was about to call Candie when I stop myself and hang up quickly before the call went through. I delete her contact slowly and put my phone down. I had a few issues. I had to leave Stiles and go on with my career. In that moment he sent me a text that read,  Meet me here in my house ASAP. I drove to his house and I parked my car, afraid of what he might tell me.

I saw Stiles and he smiled and gave me hug. I hugged him back, knowing this probably won’t last forever. I loved him so much and I didn’t want us to end so rough.

“Hey so I needed to ask you something,” he said, walking me in and we sat down on his couch in the beautiful vintage living room.
    “What’s on your mind, sweetie?” I answer, confused if it was a good thing or a bad thing.
    “So about my record deal,” he began, smiling and it made me realize that it was a good thing.
    “I want you to come tour with me and well, I’m pretty much asking if you could be the lead singer to my new band?” he smiled hopeful. My heart sank and I felt terrible.
    “Stiles, I uh..” I look at him, as he looked disappointed.
    “I got accepted to the music school and this is my chance. I want to go.” I cringed at his fake laughter and he stood up,
    “So you chose the school over me? Sash, we are meant to work together on music forever. And this is your chance to live your life as a singer in a band. C’mon. Don’t waste any more time on school.” his face softened and sat back down.
    “No, I have school and I need to take this opportunity.” I respond and he said,
    “You know what? Take it, but this little selfishness of yours needs to stop!” Woah…
    “What? Is your problem? I have a life too and it’s not depended on you.” I throw my hands up.
    “Just forget it. This relationship can’t go on if we’re apart.” I couldn’t breathe. My eyes were filled with tears and I stood by the door and told him,
    “You know what, go. Go. Do it. I am not messing up my life like you will. What will happen when your band splits up?” I pause, holding back the tears that struggled to fall on my face.
    “Then what, Stiles?” He shakes his head and turns away.
    “Whatever. Just don’t come back. Have fun in school,” I gasp, not knowing why he was being so rude and I stormed off and slammed the door closed.
    I didn’t know what got into him. Everything was fine. What happened. We argued for a while and he said I didn’t care about him and he thought I changed but I couldn’t deal with that stuff anymore. Stiles WAS the best thing in my life but he wasn’t the last, and I was wise enough to chose the path I wanted to be in.
    I walk into my house and my mom greeted me and I didn’t want to deal with people and I heard Alex call my name and ran after me but I had closed my door and threw myself on the bed, burying my head into my pillow screaming into it and then bursted into tears. A loud knock that made me jump due to how loud and angry it was.
    “GO AWAY!” I screamed to whoever it was. I assumed it was my brother because of his defeated sigh. I felt guilty for taking my anger out on my brother. I heard him slump against the door. I get up from my bed and sit in front of the door, listening to my brother saying,
    “Are you at least okay?” he whispered against the door. When tears rolled down my face uncontrollably I answered, “Not really,” and I felt him get up and his voice was still talking to me,
    “Can I come in? Please?” he begged in a small voice that made him sound like a child. I get up slowly and open my door and his face fell when he saw me crying, and my makeup all over my face. He immediately wrapped his arms around me and I sobbed into his neck, knowing I couldn’t keep it in anymore.
“What’s wrong?” he asks, and I shake my head and he got the message to not ask any questions.
“Shh.. It’s going to be okay.” he cooed and then out of nowhere, he clenched his fist so hard his knuckles were white. I stare at him confused and he gritted through his clenched teeth,
    “Was it that Stiles guy?” he looked like he was about to hurt someone. I look down on the floor and he got the idea that it was.
    “I am going to kill that little…” he couldn’t say the right word and he was about to storm out of my room to go hunt him down and I ran after him and cried,
    “No! Alex. Just leave it. Leave him alone!” I grabbed his arm and he just struggled to get his arm loose.
    “Let me go! I’m going to go kill him!” he walked down the hall, making his way towards the front door, ignoring my mother’s questioning.
    “Alex! STOP IT! Fighting him won’t solve anything! Please!!” I begged him with my eyes, “I don’t want to lose you too.” I said quietly and his face softened and he sighed in defeat and dragged himself to the kitchen. Before I closed my door, he told my mom he was leaving to the store. I really did hope he didn’t go looking for Stiles. As much as I wanted for him to get hurt, I didn’t want anything bad to happen to him. 
    When I got to my room, and closed the door, and laid on my bed, facing my head inside my pillow again. I cried for what seemed like an hour and I heard my mother come in with Alex. I sat up, and my eyes were probably so puffy from all that crying. I looked at them, with a puzzled expression and my mom looks at me and smiles sadly. I was pretty sure Alex told her. I laughed weakly as I saw the large ice cream bin and 3 big spoons and finally figured out what they were trying to do.
    “What. Is going on?” I rubbed my right eye and Alex sighs and my mom says,
    “We. Are going to eat ALL this ice cream until we feel sick,” my mom smiled proudly, trying to lighten up the mood like she always did. I laugh and nodded, agreeing to the ice cream.
    We pretty much talked about ANYTHING in the world except for Stiles. My brother kept asking the dumbest questions like what is the purpose of belly buttons, or raging that chocolate bars used to be big and it should be illegal to make them smaller sized.
    After the ice cream, I wanted to do nothing but sleep. I told my mom and brother I needed sleep and they both excused themselves and I hid under the covers and fell asleep.

I grabbed my notebook and scribbled new lyrics and my new song was starting to turn up. It has been almost a year since Stiles left to accept his record deal and since we've split up. I was on tour, I got a record deal myself. I took it, thinking about Stiles the whole time. How we could’ve gone together and lived the life together. I’m kind of glad I didn’t go. We would’ve had many issues and I’d probably just end up feeling  broken inside, if something bad would have happened with us, and our whole career would’ve crashed. That's why I don’t want a relationship to get in between my goals and soon careers in my life.
    I still think about him sometimes. This was worse because we didn’t leave in good terms and I couldn’t talk to him like a friend. But I never wished anything bad for him. I just wished things were a little different than how they turned out to be. I lost my best friend who betrayed me in the worse way.  I knew love didn’t last forever. I had two shows coming up that will take my mind off of my terrible senior year.
    My phone rang and I picked my phone up and it was my mom calling me.
    “Yes?” I answer smirking because she was on a date with a new guy. I was happy that she had moved on because after Alex decided to leave the house at one point eventually, Mom would be completely alone and we all knew that she needed a man in her life.
    “Hey, honey. I wanted to surprise you but I couldn’t wait. Erik and I will be coming to both of your shows coming up, in the top front view!” she squealed like a 13 year old girl who just got tickets to a One Direction concert. I laugh and smile in delight and say,
    “Well, thanks for your guys’ support and love. I’ll see you later, then?” I ask holding the phone between my ear and shoulder as I try to zip up my jacket, getting ready to leave.
    “Okay, love. We are going to grab some dinner and we will be there.” I nodded and said, Okay. I gotta run. See you soon!”
    “Bye!” she called out before I hung up. I have not heard from my brother but I don’t blame him. He is in college, trying to get a medical degree and he never had time to even send me a message saying hi. I called him then quickly hung up because I did not want to disturb him. I was about to go out of my tour bus when my phone rang almost immediately and I looked at the caller id and it was Alex. I smile and answer,
    “Well it’s about time I hear from you,” I teased as he laughed humorlessly playing along. I walk into the front about to walk out and he responded,
    “Well, sorry you never pick up because you are on tour and crap,” he shot back and I imagined him smiling like always. I giggled and changed the conversation.
    “Oh okay. So how has life been big bro?” I said, casually. He played along and replied,
    “Well, fine thank you, sister. How about you?” I smiled at my brother’s stupidity. He has not changed a bit!
“Good. So, are you busy so we could catch up?” I wince, praying he would say yes.
“Sure. This weekend?”
“Yes. That’ll do. Well, See you this weekend!” I hung up and got out of the bus and rushed to meet some of my screaming fans before my show.

Epilogue

“Thank you, Los Angeles!” I screamed into my mic and  ran off stage knowing it was my last show in my 2015 tour. I lay exhausted on my bed and scroll through my phone and at perfect timing. Stiles calling. I had almost forgotten about him. After so much going on in my tour, traveling and exciting shows I appear on, I had forgotten. I answer and open with a hello.
    “Hey. How are you?” We chat and talk and catch up and tell each other our lives in the music industry.
    “So I was wondering, if you were bothered by the idea of getting back..” I sighed refusing to get hurt again.
    “Sorry, Stiles. I want to remain friends. Trying again will be complicated. You said yourself 2 years ago, it cannot go on if we’re apart.” I re quote him, waiting for a response.
    On the other end of the call, I heard him sigh and he hung up. It wasn’t my fault he didn’t want to continue. He says I was the one that changed and argued with me over text and I finally gave up and blocked his number and never heard from him again.
    I moved on easily. It was so simple now. I had supporting fans and a great family that will support me forever. I think I will be fine. I have made great friends in Hollywood and I spent a lot of time with them. All I ever cared about was my new friends, my mom and Alex, who was apparently getting his doctor degree. He was officially done. My mom said, “My work here is done.” I take her on tour with me and live the life. Her support in the front row. My life was going to be fine. I couldn’t complain. I had to move on. Without Candie. Without Mia. Without High School haters. Even without Stiles.