Nine in the Afternoon | Teen Ink

Nine in the Afternoon

December 8, 2014
By danisnotonfire, Stockton, California
More by this author
danisnotonfire, Stockton, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Is it hi or hey?


Author's note:

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

“Hurry up,” whined Madison, “We’re going to be late.” She tapped her foot impatiently.

“Sorry. After all, you’re the one dragging me to the party,” Violet replied, “How do I look?”
“Wow, you actually look pretty!” said Madison, sarcastically.
“Oh, shut it! Don’t make me change my mind about going?” said Violet.
The two best friends walked out of the house and into Madison’s car. Madison put her keys into the car’s key slot and turned it on. They waited a couple of minutes for the car to heat up. Shortly after, they headed to the party. Violet had a worried feeling deep inside of her. She shrugged the thought off. What could possibly happen?
As soon as they arrived to the house where the party is being held, they heard music blasting. Violet pressed her lips into a firm line, showing her displeasure with the music being played. She’s never really cared for any popular music or rap music. She loved music, just not the type that is meaningless. Once inside, Madison broke away from Violet, and searches for her boyfriend. She’s been with him for a couple of months now. Violet walked away and over to the refreshment table. She looked over to two boys across the room, staring at her.
“Look at that chick standing all by herself,” Jacob said to Nick, “Go hit on her bro. Maybe, you’ll even get lucky.” 
“Alright, watch how a pro does it,” Nick grabbed a red cup and slipped a white powdery substance into it. He walked over to Violet and said, “Hey, what’s a beautiful lady like you doing all by herself? Do you have a boyfriend?”
“Um, N-No I don’t,” Violet stuttered.
“Just my lucky day. Might be able to call myself the luckiest guy, am I right? Here drink this,” Nick said as he handed her the red cup.
“No thank you. I don’t drink,” Violet replied politely.
“C’mon babe,” he pushed the cup towards her face and said, “Just a sip.”
“No-,” she said as he forced the liquid down her throat. Her esophagus felt as if it is was on fire. She began to feel drowsy and lost her balance. 
“There we go,” Nick said as he picked her up and carried her to another room upstairs, “We’re going to have some fun.”
“Help,” Violet said weakly, “Please someone help!”
“No one can save you now,” Nick smirked, “I’m going to enjoy this.” He pulled on her clothes. Violet felt encased in the small and bland room and prayed someone would come rescue her.
“What’s going on?” a boy walked through the door.
Nick immediately stands up and said “Nothing. Now give me and my girl some privacy please and thanks.”
  “Please help me,” Violet begged to the unknown boy “He’s trying to rape me!”
“What?” the boy asked furiously.
“No I was not!” he slapped Violet in her face “Shut your mouth!”
“Don’t touch the girl.” the boy punched Nick square in the jaw, making him stumble back. “Get out now,” he said as he pushed him out, “Don’t you dare disrespect a woman ever again.”
Once Nick had left the room, Violet whispered, “Thank you.”
“No, don’t thank me. Are you okay?” the boy asked.
“Yes,” she replied, “I am.”
“Shouldn’t we call the cops?” said the boy.
“I doubt they’d do anything. There’s no legitimate proof other than you as witness. He’d probably just deny everything else. I don’t want to go through the trouble of all that. Also, if the police came, everyone would be arrested for under-aged drinking. I wouldn’t want Madison to be arrested or anything.”
“What’s your name?” the boy said as he came closer to Violet.
“My name is Violet,” said Violet, “What’s your name?”
“My name is Ashton, pleased to meet you,” he said. Ashton put his hand out for her to shake it.
“That’s a pretty name,” she said with a smile. Violet felt some weird way that caused her to trust Ashton, despite the event that has just occurred.
“Not as pretty as you,” he mumbled, hoping Violet didn’t hear.
“I think you’re pretty too, but like in a guy way,” she laughed. “I’m a bit tired now.”
“Well, I guess I’ll leave now. Have a nice time,” Ashton replied.
“I don’t want to stay here anymore; can I go home with you?” Violet asked.
“Uh, are you sure? Don’t you have a friend waiting on you?” said Ashton.
“No, she’s probably busy with her boyfriend. She was my ride home, but I think she’ll end up sleeping with him or something,” Violet shrugged.
“Do you really want to? Aren’t you like scared of what just happened moments ago?” he said a bit unsure.
“No,” she leaned closer, “I trust you.”
“Okay then, off we go!” Ashton replied. He grabbed her hand and intertwined them with his, causing Violet to blush. They headed off into his car and onto the road. His house was a short drive away, and Violet found out he doesn’t live so far away from her home. “Here we are!” Ashton exclaimed. Violet looked up at the house and noticed the few windows on his house.
“So, where can I sleep?” asked Violet.
“Well the guest bedroom is a bit messy and it’s locked. You can sleep in my room I guess?” said Ashton. He lead her to his bedroom. Ashton’s bedroom is clean and his walls covered with posters of bands such as All Time Low, My Chemical Romance, You Me At Six, Mayday Parade, etc.
  “No way!” gasped Violet.
“What?” replied Ashton.
“We basically have the same music taste!” she said enthusiastically.
“Aw! That’s so cool!” he said back, high fiving her.
“Yeah,” said Violet, “Time to sleep?” Violet rubbed her eyes and yawned.
“Yup,” Ashton said.
“Will you lay in bed with me? I’m scared of being alone,” said Violet.
“Excuses. I bet you’ve fallen madly in love with me already,” replied Ashton.
“Whatever you say,” Violet said with a smile. The two teens hopped into the bed. Violet took the left side of the bed, while Ashton took the right. “What time is it?” asked Violet.
“It’s nine,” Ashton said as he looked down onto his watch, “Nine in the afternoon.” They both fell asleep, somehow ending up in each other’s arms. Either of them couldn’t complain because they liked it. Violet felt somewhat safe sleeping next to him.
Around two in the morning, Violet is awakened by noises. The bed she had slept in felt empty when she looked to right and saw that Ashton is not there. She gets up hurriedly to investigate where he could be. She stepped outside of the room and followed what she can hear. Violet approached the room; she heard angry grunts. Carefully turning the knob, Violet took a look inside. She saw Ashton looking frustrated down onto his paper. After writing down words, he’d immediately crumbled up the paper and threw it to the side.
“Ashton?” whispered Violet.
“Who’s there?” replied Ashton, standing up.
“It’s me,” Violet said, “Violet.”
“Oh,” he said a bit more calmed, “What are you doing up? Go back to sleep, darling.” Violet’s heart sped up as he calls her darling.
“Um, I heard things and you weren’t there so I got worried. I decided to look for you,” she said staring down onto the floor.
“Go back to sleep. Don’t be so worried, I wasn’t doing much,” he said, staring back down onto the paper he was writing on.
Violet stepped inside of the room and said, “No, I want to know what you’re doing. Are you okay?”
Ashton put the paper aside and said, “First of all, I’m okay. Second of all, go back to sleep. You’re obviously tired,”
“No,” she sat beside him, “I want to know what you’re doing.”
“Fine,” Ashton sighed in defeat, “You’re so stubborn. I was writing this thing, but I have really bad writer’s block. I have no idea how to start off. Don’t worry about what I do. Just worry about yourself, okay?”
“I guess,” she said, standing up.
“Okay, good,” he replied, “Now go back to bed.”
“Why are you acting differently?” asked Violet.
“None of your business okay? Just be grateful you don’t know. I’d rather not be a burden. Now go.” He said, pushing her out of the room before slamming the door shut. He quickly opens the door and said, “Sorry that was unexpected and rude. Just please leave me alone. I need to be alone. Plus, you’re kind of distraction with that face of yours.” He kissed her on the forehead before turning and shutting the door.
“Wow,” Violet said, leaning on the door flabbergasted. She wanted to know more about Ashton. She felt as if he was hiding something, and she was determined to figure out what it is.
Monday came around and Violet was back at school. She smiled as she walked through the door. Once she walked in, the whole hallway had become silent. Violet began to feel uncomfortable and walked to her locker fast. Whispers erupted as she walked down the hall. When she reached her locker, she noticed words on her lockers. The phrase wasn’t a very nice thing, either.
“What’s going on?” asked Madison.
“I don’t know,” said Violet.
“Who did this?” shouted Violet. The whole hall grew silent once more.
“Who wouldn’t?” the mean girl Leslie said.
“Excuse me?” scoffed Violet and Madison.
“You heard me. The whole school knows!” laughed Leslie.
“Knows what?” replies Madison.
“That your little friend here couldn’t keep her legs shut at the party yesterday!” said Leslie.
“What?” Violet said, “I did no such thing!”
“Don’t lie! Word gets around fast here you know. The guy you were with told us! His name is Nick I believe? He said you were way too easy, just like Madison!” said Leslie.
“What did you just say about Madison?” Violet said taking a step closer to Leslie with her fists clenched.
“You’re friend Madison is a s--” before Leslie can finish her sentence, Violet punched her.
Violet, in realization of what she had just done, ran out of the school. Tears streamed down her face, but she quickly wiped them as she entered the place she feels comfortable in. A waitress walked over to her and asked if she’d like any anything. Violet politely asked for a Thai tea. The waitress smiled and scribbled something then walked away. Violet pulled out a book from her bag and began to read.
A familiar person walked through the door, took a seat next to Violet, and said, “Hi.”
“Who are you?” Violet said as she looked up, “Oh, hey Ashton.”
“Are you okay?” asked Ashton.
“I mean I guess I am. Did you see what happened? I feel bad I don’t even know why I had done it!” sighed Violet.
“What? What you did was awesome! You should feel proud! You told off that b--” Ashton said before he corrected himself, “Leslie. You should have seen the aftermath! It was so funny.”
Violet took a sip of her tea then said, “Sure. Why’d you come anyways? I’m alright by myself. I don’t need anyone checking up on me,”
“Sure you do. Plus, we’re basically friends. Right?” said Ashton.
“Yeah, I guess we are. Anyways, what would you like to do? I mean I’m just reading this book,” said Violet, showing her book.
“What’s it about?” he replied.
“Well it’s about the future and what not. The people in the story are like in the year 3000.” said Violet.
“Oh, that’s cool. I always imagined by now we’d have all sorts of crazy inventions like flying cars and what not. But, all we really have is 3-D printing. It’s 2015! We should have these sorts of things already!” said Ashton.
“Yeah,” said Violet, “You know what? We’ve never really gotten to know each other.”
“You’re right. Let’s play twenty questions then?” asked Ashton.
The hours flew by quickly as Ashton and Violet conversed. They talked about literally everything there is to exist. Anything from religion to whether they’ve ever microwaved ketchup before, they talked about it all. Something Violet didn’t know is deep down in the beautiful boy, he was broken. She didn’t know anything from his past. Despite being broken, Violet gave Ashton a reason to be happy. He was the first girl to ever come into his life and make him feel all sorts of emotions. But, even a girl couldn’t save him from himself.
“Well I’ve got to get back to writing. I’ll see you around,” Ashton said as he stood up.
“Still? Writer’s block still got you?” replied Violet.
“Yup. Now you should get home. It’s getting dark out,” said Ashton.
“Yeah,” said Violet, “Wait. I forgot but I live nearby you. Perhaps we could walk home together?”
“Oh, yeah sure!” said Ashton.
Minutes passed by and Violet reached her home. They exchanged their goodbyes and Violet hugged Ashton before going inside.
“Violet, wait!” Ashton said.
“Yes?” said Violet.
“I like you a lot. Like more than a lot,” said Ashton.
“I like you a lot too,” she replied.
“Since you’ve said that, I’m guessing I can do this.” Ashton said as he leaned in to kiss her on her lips. Violet’s body lit up, typical sparks going between them. She’s never had a kiss before, so this is her first. Boy, could she say, he was a great kisser. Their kiss lasted a minute before they both pulled away. Violet hugs Ashton once more before she opened her front door and entered.
Once inside, Violet’s mother confronted her. “Violet, we need to talk.” Violet’s mother said.
Violet cursed under her breath and said, “About?”
“Well I got this call from your school. They say that you punched another girl, is this true? They’ve suspended you from school for three days,” she said.
“Three days? Do they even know what she did?” Violet said angrily.
“Violet please,” said her mother, “Calm down.”
“Don’t tell me to calm down!” yelled Violet.
“Excuse me, young lady. You will not speak to me that way.” said Violet’s mother.
“You don’t even care do you?” cried Violet.
“Of course I care, I’m your mother!” replied her mother.
“No you don’t. I hate you! I wish you were dead and dad wasn’t! He cares unlike you! You ruined everything! I wish you were dead!” said Violet.
“Violet!” shouted her mother.
Violet ran upstairs and sobbed into her bed sheets. In her head, she kept wishing she were dead. It’s like her mother doesn’t understand her. She didn’t get what’s happened. Violet imagined how her mom would react if she told her she almost got raped. If anything, her mother wouldn’t care. She’d probably yell at her for being stupid and going out to a party instead of staying home and studying. Violet’s mother only ever cared about Violet’s future because she wanted her to grow up to become exactly like her. But, Violet never wanted to follow in her footsteps. She wanted to be her own person and have the freedom to pursue whatever career she desired. Her emotions had been bottled up and she finally let them out.
Her suspension from school went by quickly. When she returned to school, she was applauded by many for standing up to the school’s bully. Violet didn’t care for any recognition she was getting, she just wanted to see Ashton. She hadn’t talked to Ashton the past days. He did say see you later, but never called or texted. Violet began to think maybe he was beginning to ignore her.
Ashton sat by himself during lunch. He ate his food quietly while he scribbled into his notebook. What is he writing? Violet walked up to him and took a seat next to him.
“Hi Ashton,” said Violet. He doesn’t reply. “Ashton,” she said once more. Still not getting a reply, she grew angrier. “Ashton why are you ignoring me?” she asked. Instead of saying anything, he got up and walked away. Violet felt hurt from this and wondered what she could have done to cause this mess. A tear fell from her eye, why does this hurt her? She only met this kid a while ago, but she felt as if she’s known him her whole life.
“Hey Violet,” said Madison “What’s wrong?”
“Nothing, it’s just some stupid boy,” said Violet.
“A boy? What’s his name?” said Madison.
“His name is Ashton,” said Violet.
“Ashton, as in Ashton Deyes?” said Madison.
“Uh, yeah I think so. Why?” said Violet.
“Stay away from him,” Madison said sternly.
“What, why?” said Madison.
“He’s trouble. The whole school knows that Violet. I heard he’s crazy! Some even say he’s killed someone before. I mean I don’t entirely believe it but you never know what he’s capable of,” said Madison.
“He’s not,” Violet said.
“Please, Violet. Listen to what I say.” said Madison.
Violet stood up angrily and said, “It’s as if everyone is against me today! God, what did I do?” Violet ran home and sat on her bed. She pulled out her laptop when she arrived to her home and began typing into the search bar. She was going to attempt to uncover Ashton’s past. A few posts from Facebook show up. She continues to read more about him, finding out he’d been known as “the depressed loser”.
“What are you doing?” said Ashton, sitting in the tree in front of her room’s window.
Violet slams her laptop shut and said, “Nothing,”
“If it’s nothing, open your laptop back up,” said Ashton, climbing in through the window.
“I can’t,” said Violet.
“Why not?” said Ashton.
“Because, I just can’t,” She said, pushing the laptop away from her.
Ashton walked over to the laptop and read out, “Ashton Deyes is a freak and nobody likes him.” he looked to Violet, hurt.
“Ashton, I didn’t write that!” said Violet.
“Doesn’t matter if you did! You were still reading it! Why would you do that?” Ashton shouted back.
“Ashton, stop! I didn’t mean it! If anything you did this to yourself?” said Violet.
“I did this to myself? You’ve got to be kidding me,” said Ashton.
“You couldn’t had just told me what your past was. Everyone said bad things about you and I couldn’t help to wonder why,” said Violet.
“Well you know what? Curiosity killed the cat,” Ashton said as he walks out.
“Ashton! Come back! Where are you going?” said Violet.
‘I’m doing it. I’m done. I thought you’d be different, but you’re not! You’re like everyone else in this god forsaken place. I actually liked you, you did this. I’m done with the world. Goodbye.” he replied.
Violet sobbed as she broke down in the middle of her room. Her whole world was slowly being destroyed. It was all because of the boy that she had met. She didn’t know he’d have such a large impact on her life. As he walked away, her breathing was stopped. She followed him down the street, pleading he’d turn around and listen to her but he ignored her. It’s like he was controlling her. She still doesn’t know why he had such effect on her, she still had barely met him. What would Ashton be doing? She couldn’t do anything to help him. Thing were worse than ever and she couldn’t do anything else. The worst scenarios popped into her head her mind slipped into an unconscious state on the sidewalk.
Hours later, police surrounded her in a grey room, “Violet?” asked one of the police officers.
“That would be me. What’s going on?” said Violet.
“Do you have any relations to this boy?” Mr. Ramirez, the police officer, held up a photo.
“Yes! He’s my friend, Ashton!” said Violet.
“I’m sorry to inform you that Ashton was found dead, overdosed on pills.” said Mr. Ramirez.
  “No, you’re lying!” screamed Violet. She didn’t believe the words coming out of the police officer’s mouth.
“I’m sorry ma’am, but it’s true.” said a woman standing next to Mr. Ramirez.
“Who are you?” Violet asked the woman.
“I’m Ashton’s mom.” said the woman.
“Dear god no. This can’t be happening! This all my fault. I did this! This is all my fault! Why! Why did I do this to him?” cried Violet. She slammed her head down onto the table in front of her and cried as if there was no tomorrow.
“Ma’am,” the police officer said, “There’s a note left for you.” Violet raised her head and reached for the note, she began to read.
Dear Violet,
Hi Violet. I’m Ashton Deyes. Although we didn’t know each other, I’ve become very attached to you. Some how you’ve changed me. I don’t know how you did, but you changed me. From the day I saved you from that one vile kid, I knew I had feelings for you. You’re absolutely beautiful in every way. I love your green eyes and how it fits with your perfect black hair. You’re breath taking. I like you a lot as I said before. I know it was only a short amount of time, but love shouldn’t be measured by time. It should be measured by connection, and we had plenty. I know this is completely unexpected, but I had to go. Don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault, not one bit. If anything, it made all this easier. I liked you a lot and I’m sorry I had to this. I don’t belong in this world. I have nothing to offer to humanity, but you do. You’re one of the most intelligent, book worms I’ve ever met. Not saying I’ve ever met many people. I knew that you wanted to know so much about me and I could tell you actually cared. When I said you were just like the others, I didn’t mean it. You aren’t, you’re special. I just finally blew up. There’s only so much a person could go through, you know? Don’t get too sad over me, I wouldn’t want you to do that. You deserve better than me. I’m just a silly broken boy. You, a beautiful and smart girl, could do so much better without me. You’ve made an impact on my life in a short amount of time. You made me happy within my last moments, and I can’t thank you enough for that.  I love you. You were the only girl that’s ever meant something to me. I’d never forget you. I’ll never forget the first kiss we had. It wasn’t very special, but it meant a lot. You were the closest thing I’ve ever had to a girlfriend. You weren’t scared of me like everyone else. You’re not one to judge. You made me feel as if I was an actual human. That meant so much to me and you’ll never understand. Since you wanted to know my past so badly, I’ll tell you. I was just a regular shy boy who was bullied. I never did anything else. Any rumor you were told were lies. The people in school ruined me. I let them define me with their words. I did this to myself. I caused myself to become this terrible of a person. I could have decided but I was too stubborn. This whole time I've been writing this. I didn't know how to word this properly. This is why I didn't want you to get infatuated with me because I am a burden. I had writer's block up until the argument we had. I’ve been trying to write this but I didn’t know how to. But, none of that matters anymore. Violet, never ever let anyone ever define you. Stay yourself; don’t ever listen to what others say. I feel bad leaving it like this, but I just had to do it once and for all. Hopefully, you’ll forgive me one day. God, I’ll miss seeing your beautiful face. I’m sorry I did this.
       With Lots of Love,
                       Ashton.
“Officer, what time is it?” Violet asked, unexpectedly.
Mr. Ramirez looked down to his watch and said, “It’s about midnight.”
“What time was his death?” said Violet.
“Around nine o’clock.” replied one of the other officers.
“Nine in the afternoon.” Violet mumbled                                                    

“Hurry up,” whined Madison, “We’re going to be late.” She tapped her foot impatiently.
“Sorry. After all, you’re the one dragging me to the party,” Violet replied, “How do I look?”
“Wow, you actually look pretty!” said Madison, sarcastically.
“Oh, shut it! Don’t make me change my mind about going?” said Violet.
The two best friends walked out of the house and into Madison’s car. Madison put her keys into the car’s key slot and turned it on. They waited a couple of minutes for the car to heat up. Shortly after, they headed to the party. Violet had a worried feeling deep inside of her. She shrugged the thought off. What could possibly happen?
As soon as they arrived to the house where the party is being held, they heard music blasting. Violet pressed her lips into a firm line, showing her displeasure with the music being played. She’s never really cared for any popular music or rap music. She loved music, just not the type that is meaningless. Once inside, Madison broke away from Violet, and searches for her boyfriend. She’s been with him for a couple of months now. Violet walked away and over to the refreshment table. She looked over to two boys across the room, staring at her.
“Look at that chick standing all by herself,” Jacob said to Nick, “Go hit on her bro. Maybe, you’ll even get lucky.” 
“Alright, watch how a pro does it,” Nick grabbed a red cup and slipped a white powdery substance into it. He walked over to Violet and said, “Hey, what’s a beautiful lady like you doing all by herself? Do you have a boyfriend?”
“Um, N-No I don’t,” Violet stuttered.
“Just my lucky day. Might be able to call myself the luckiest guy, am I right? Here drink this,” Nick said as he handed her the red cup.
“No thank you. I don’t drink,” Violet replied politely.
“C’mon babe,” he pushed the cup towards her face and said, “Just a sip.”
“No-,” she said as he forced the liquid down her throat. Her esophagus felt as if it is was on fire. She began to feel drowsy and lost her balance. 
“There we go,” Nick said as he picked her up and carried her to another room upstairs, “We’re going to have some fun.”
“Help,” Violet said weakly, “Please someone help!”
“No one can save you now,” Nick smirked, “I’m going to enjoy this.” He pulled on her clothes. Violet felt encased in the small and bland room and prayed someone would come rescue her.
“What’s going on?” a boy walked through the door.
Nick immediately stands up and said “Nothing. Now give me and my girl some privacy please and thanks.”
  “Please help me,” Violet begged to the unknown boy “He’s trying to rape me!”
“What?” the boy asked furiously.
“No I was not!” he slapped Violet in her face “Shut your mouth!”
“Don’t touch the girl.” the boy punched Nick square in the jaw, making him stumble back. “Get out now,” he said as he pushed him out, “Don’t you dare disrespect a woman ever again.”
Once Nick had left the room, Violet whispered, “Thank you.”
“No, don’t thank me. Are you okay?” the boy asked.
“Yes,” she replied, “I am.”
“Shouldn’t we call the cops?” said the boy.
“I doubt they’d do anything. There’s no legitimate proof other than you as witness. He’d probably just deny everything else. I don’t want to go through the trouble of all that. Also, if the police came, everyone would be arrested for under-aged drinking. I wouldn’t want Madison to be arrested or anything.”
“What’s your name?” the boy said as he came closer to Violet.
“My name is Violet,” said Violet, “What’s your name?”
“My name is Ashton, pleased to meet you,” he said. Ashton put his hand out for her to shake it.
“That’s a pretty name,” she said with a smile. Violet felt some weird way that caused her to trust Ashton, despite the event that has just occurred.
“Not as pretty as you,” he mumbled, hoping Violet didn’t hear.
“I think you’re pretty too, but like in a guy way,” she laughed. “I’m a bit tired now.”
“Well, I guess I’ll leave now. Have a nice time,” Ashton replied.
“I don’t want to stay here anymore; can I go home with you?” Violet asked.
“Uh, are you sure? Don’t you have a friend waiting on you?” said Ashton.
“No, she’s probably busy with her boyfriend. She was my ride home, but I think she’ll end up sleeping with him or something,” Violet shrugged.
“Do you really want to? Aren’t you like scared of what just happened moments ago?” he said a bit unsure.
“No,” she leaned closer, “I trust you.”
“Okay then, off we go!” Ashton replied. He grabbed her hand and intertwined them with his, causing Violet to blush. They headed off into his car and onto the road. His house was a short drive away, and Violet found out he doesn’t live so far away from her home. “Here we are!” Ashton exclaimed. Violet looked up at the house and noticed the few windows on his house.
“So, where can I sleep?” asked Violet.
“Well the guest bedroom is a bit messy and it’s locked. You can sleep in my room I guess?” said Ashton. He lead her to his bedroom. Ashton’s bedroom is clean and his walls covered with posters of bands such as All Time Low, My Chemical Romance, You Me At Six, Mayday Parade, etc.
  “No way!” gasped Violet.
“What?” replied Ashton.
“We basically have the same music taste!” she said enthusiastically.
“Aw! That’s so cool!” he said back, high fiving her.
“Yeah,” said Violet, “Time to sleep?” Violet rubbed her eyes and yawned.
“Yup,” Ashton said.
“Will you lay in bed with me? I’m scared of being alone,” said Violet.
“Excuses. I bet you’ve fallen madly in love with me already,” replied Ashton.
“Whatever you say,” Violet said with a smile. The two teens hopped into the bed. Violet took the left side of the bed, while Ashton took the right. “What time is it?” asked Violet.
“It’s nine,” Ashton said as he looked down onto his watch, “Nine in the afternoon.” They both fell asleep, somehow ending up in each other’s arms. Either of them couldn’t complain because they liked it. Violet felt somewhat safe sleeping next to him.
Around two in the morning, Violet is awakened by noises. The bed she had slept in felt empty when she looked to right and saw that Ashton is not there. She gets up hurriedly to investigate where he could be. She stepped outside of the room and followed what she can hear. Violet approached the room; she heard angry grunts. Carefully turning the knob, Violet took a look inside. She saw Ashton looking frustrated down onto his paper. After writing down words, he’d immediately crumbled up the paper and threw it to the side.
“Ashton?” whispered Violet.
“Who’s there?” replied Ashton, standing up.
“It’s me,” Violet said, “Violet.”
“Oh,” he said a bit more calmed, “What are you doing up? Go back to sleep, darling.” Violet’s heart sped up as he calls her darling.
“Um, I heard things and you weren’t there so I got worried. I decided to look for you,” she said staring down onto the floor.
“Go back to sleep. Don’t be so worried, I wasn’t doing much,” he said, staring back down onto the paper he was writing on.
Violet stepped inside of the room and said, “No, I want to know what you’re doing. Are you okay?”
Ashton put the paper aside and said, “First of all, I’m okay. Second of all, go back to sleep. You’re obviously tired,”
“No,” she sat beside him, “I want to know what you’re doing.”
“Fine,” Ashton sighed in defeat, “You’re so stubborn. I was writing this thing, but I have really bad writer’s block. I have no idea how to start off. Don’t worry about what I do. Just worry about yourself, okay?”
“I guess,” she said, standing up.
“Okay, good,” he replied, “Now go back to bed.”
“Why are you acting differently?” asked Violet.
“None of your business okay? Just be grateful you don’t know. I’d rather not be a burden. Now go.” He said, pushing her out of the room before slamming the door shut. He quickly opens the door and said, “Sorry that was unexpected and rude. Just please leave me alone. I need to be alone. Plus, you’re kind of distraction with that face of yours.” He kissed her on the forehead before turning and shutting the door.
“Wow,” Violet said, leaning on the door flabbergasted. She wanted to know more about Ashton. She felt as if he was hiding something, and she was determined to figure out what it is.
Monday came around and Violet was back at school. She smiled as she walked through the door. Once she walked in, the whole hallway had become silent. Violet began to feel uncomfortable and walked to her locker fast. Whispers erupted as she walked down the hall. When she reached her locker, she noticed words on her lockers. The phrase wasn’t a very nice thing, either.
“What’s going on?” asked Madison.
“I don’t know,” said Violet.
“Who did this?” shouted Violet. The whole hall grew silent once more.
“Who wouldn’t?” the mean girl Leslie said.
“Excuse me?” scoffed Violet and Madison.
“You heard me. The whole school knows!” laughed Leslie.
“Knows what?” replies Madison.
“That your little friend here couldn’t keep her legs shut at the party yesterday!” said Leslie.
“What?” Violet said, “I did no such thing!”
“Don’t lie! Word gets around fast here you know. The guy you were with told us! His name is Nick I believe? He said you were way too easy, just like Madison!” said Leslie.
“What did you just say about Madison?” Violet said taking a step closer to Leslie with her fists clenched.
“You’re friend Madison is a s--” before Leslie can finish her sentence, Violet punched her.
Violet, in realization of what she had just done, ran out of the school. Tears streamed down her face, but she quickly wiped them as she entered the place she feels comfortable in. A waitress walked over to her and asked if she’d like any anything. Violet politely asked for a Thai tea. The waitress smiled and scribbled something then walked away. Violet pulled out a book from her bag and began to read.
A familiar person walked through the door, took a seat next to Violet, and said, “Hi.”
“Who are you?” Violet said as she looked up, “Oh, hey Ashton.”
“Are you okay?” asked Ashton.
“I mean I guess I am. Did you see what happened? I feel bad I don’t even know why I had done it!” sighed Violet.
“What? What you did was awesome! You should feel proud! You told off that b--” Ashton said before he corrected himself, “Leslie. You should have seen the aftermath! It was so funny.”
Violet took a sip of her tea then said, “Sure. Why’d you come anyways? I’m alright by myself. I don’t need anyone checking up on me,”
“Sure you do. Plus, we’re basically friends. Right?” said Ashton.
“Yeah, I guess we are. Anyways, what would you like to do? I mean I’m just reading this book,” said Violet, showing her book.
“What’s it about?” he replied.
“Well it’s about the future and what not. The people in the story are like in the year 3000.” said Violet.
“Oh, that’s cool. I always imagined by now we’d have all sorts of crazy inventions like flying cars and what not. But, all we really have is 3-D printing. It’s 2015! We should have these sorts of things already!” said Ashton.
“Yeah,” said Violet, “You know what? We’ve never really gotten to know each other.”
“You’re right. Let’s play twenty questions then?” asked Ashton.
The hours flew by quickly as Ashton and Violet conversed. They talked about literally everything there is to exist. Anything from religion to whether they’ve ever microwaved ketchup before, they talked about it all. Something Violet didn’t know is deep down in the beautiful boy, he was broken. She didn’t know anything from his past. Despite being broken, Violet gave Ashton a reason to be happy. He was the first girl to ever come into his life and make him feel all sorts of emotions. But, even a girl couldn’t save him from himself.
“Well I’ve got to get back to writing. I’ll see you around,” Ashton said as he stood up.
“Still? Writer’s block still got you?” replied Violet.
“Yup. Now you should get home. It’s getting dark out,” said Ashton.
“Yeah,” said Violet, “Wait. I forgot but I live nearby you. Perhaps we could walk home together?”
“Oh, yeah sure!” said Ashton.
Minutes passed by and Violet reached her home. They exchanged their goodbyes and Violet hugged Ashton before going inside.
“Violet, wait!” Ashton said.
“Yes?” said Violet.
“I like you a lot. Like more than a lot,” said Ashton.
“I like you a lot too,” she replied.
“Since you’ve said that, I’m guessing I can do this.” Ashton said as he leaned in to kiss her on her lips. Violet’s body lit up, typical sparks going between them. She’s never had a kiss before, so this is her first. Boy, could she say, he was a great kisser. Their kiss lasted a minute before they both pulled away. Violet hugs Ashton once more before she opened her front door and entered.
Once inside, Violet’s mother confronted her. “Violet, we need to talk.” Violet’s mother said.
Violet cursed under her breath and said, “About?”
“Well I got this call from your school. They say that you punched another girl, is this true? They’ve suspended you from school for three days,” she said.
“Three days? Do they even know what she did?” Violet said angrily.
“Violet please,” said her mother, “Calm down.”
“Don’t tell me to calm down!” yelled Violet.
“Excuse me, young lady. You will not speak to me that way.” said Violet’s mother.
“You don’t even care do you?” cried Violet.
“Of course I care, I’m your mother!” replied her mother.
“No you don’t. I hate you! I wish you were dead and dad wasn’t! He cares unlike you! You ruined everything! I wish you were dead!” said Violet.
“Violet!” shouted her mother.
Violet ran upstairs and sobbed into her bed sheets. In her head, she kept wishing she were dead. It’s like her mother doesn’t understand her. She didn’t get what’s happened. Violet imagined how her mom would react if she told her she almost got raped. If anything, her mother wouldn’t care. She’d probably yell at her for being stupid and going out to a party instead of staying home and studying. Violet’s mother only ever cared about Violet’s future because she wanted her to grow up to become exactly like her. But, Violet never wanted to follow in her footsteps. She wanted to be her own person and have the freedom to pursue whatever career she desired. Her emotions had been bottled up and she finally let them out.
Her suspension from school went by quickly. When she returned to school, she was applauded by many for standing up to the school’s bully. Violet didn’t care for any recognition she was getting, she just wanted to see Ashton. She hadn’t talked to Ashton the past days. He did say see you later, but never called or texted. Violet began to think maybe he was beginning to ignore her.
Ashton sat by himself during lunch. He ate his food quietly while he scribbled into his notebook. What is he writing? Violet walked up to him and took a seat next to him.
“Hi Ashton,” said Violet. He doesn’t reply. “Ashton,” she said once more. Still not getting a reply, she grew angrier. “Ashton why are you ignoring me?” she asked. Instead of saying anything, he got up and walked away. Violet felt hurt from this and wondered what she could have done to cause this mess. A tear fell from her eye, why does this hurt her? She only met this kid a while ago, but she felt as if she’s known him her whole life.
“Hey Violet,” said Madison “What’s wrong?”
“Nothing, it’s just some stupid boy,” said Violet.
“A boy? What’s his name?” said Madison.
“His name is Ashton,” said Violet.
“Ashton, as in Ashton Deyes?” said Madison.
“Uh, yeah I think so. Why?” said Violet.
“Stay away from him,” Madison said sternly.
“What, why?” said Madison.
“He’s trouble. The whole school knows that Violet. I heard he’s crazy! Some even say he’s killed someone before. I mean I don’t entirely believe it but you never know what he’s capable of,” said Madison.
“He’s not,” Violet said.
“Please, Violet. Listen to what I say.” said Madison.
Violet stood up angrily and said, “It’s as if everyone is against me today! God, what did I do?” Violet ran home and sat on her bed. She pulled out her laptop when she arrived to her home and began typing into the search bar. She was going to attempt to uncover Ashton’s past. A few posts from Facebook show up. She continues to read more about him, finding out he’d been known as “the depressed loser”.
“What are you doing?” said Ashton, sitting in the tree in front of her room’s window.
Violet slams her laptop shut and said, “Nothing,”
“If it’s nothing, open your laptop back up,” said Ashton, climbing in through the window.
“I can’t,” said Violet.
“Why not?” said Ashton.
“Because, I just can’t,” She said, pushing the laptop away from her.
Ashton walked over to the laptop and read out, “Ashton Deyes is a freak and nobody likes him.” he looked to Violet, hurt.
“Ashton, I didn’t write that!” said Violet.
“Doesn’t matter if you did! You were still reading it! Why would you do that?” Ashton shouted back.
“Ashton, stop! I didn’t mean it! If anything you did this to yourself?” said Violet.
“I did this to myself? You’ve got to be kidding me,” said Ashton.
“You couldn’t had just told me what your past was. Everyone said bad things about you and I couldn’t help to wonder why,” said Violet.
“Well you know what? Curiosity killed the cat,” Ashton said as he walks out.
“Ashton! Come back! Where are you going?” said Violet.
‘I’m doing it. I’m done. I thought you’d be different, but you’re not! You’re like everyone else in this god forsaken place. I actually liked you, you did this. I’m done with the world. Goodbye.” he replied.
Violet sobbed as she broke down in the middle of her room. Her whole world was slowly being destroyed. It was all because of the boy that she had met. She didn’t know he’d have such a large impact on her life. As he walked away, her breathing was stopped. She followed him down the street, pleading he’d turn around and listen to her but he ignored her. It’s like he was controlling her. She still doesn’t know why he had such effect on her, she still had barely met him. What would Ashton be doing? She couldn’t do anything to help him. Thing were worse than ever and she couldn’t do anything else. The worst scenarios popped into her head her mind slipped into an unconscious state on the sidewalk.
Hours later, police surrounded her in a grey room, “Violet?” asked one of the police officers.
“That would be me. What’s going on?” said Violet.
“Do you have any relations to this boy?” Mr. Ramirez, the police officer, held up a photo.
“Yes! He’s my friend, Ashton!” said Violet.
“I’m sorry to inform you that Ashton was found dead, overdosed on pills.” said Mr. Ramirez.
  “No, you’re lying!” screamed Violet. She didn’t believe the words coming out of the police officer’s mouth.
“I’m sorry ma’am, but it’s true.” said a woman standing next to Mr. Ramirez.
“Who are you?” Violet asked the woman.
“I’m Ashton’s mom.” said the woman.
“Dear god no. This can’t be happening! This all my fault. I did this! This is all my fault! Why! Why did I do this to him?” cried Violet. She slammed her head down onto the table in front of her and cried as if there was no tomorrow.
“Ma’am,” the police officer said, “There’s a note left for you.” Violet raised her head and reached for the note, she began to read.
Dear Violet,
Hi Violet. I’m Ashton Deyes. Although we didn’t know each other, I’ve become very attached to you. Some how you’ve changed me. I don’t know how you did, but you changed me. From the day I saved you from that one vile kid, I knew I had feelings for you. You’re absolutely beautiful in every way. I love your green eyes and how it fits with your perfect black hair. You’re breath taking. I like you a lot as I said before. I know it was only a short amount of time, but love shouldn’t be measured by time. It should be measured by connection, and we had plenty. I know this is completely unexpected, but I had to go. Don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault, not one bit. If anything, it made all this easier. I liked you a lot and I’m sorry I had to this. I don’t belong in this world. I have nothing to offer to humanity, but you do. You’re one of the most intelligent, book worms I’ve ever met. Not saying I’ve ever met many people. I knew that you wanted to know so much about me and I could tell you actually cared. When I said you were just like the others, I didn’t mean it. You aren’t, you’re special. I just finally blew up. There’s only so much a person could go through, you know? Don’t get too sad over me, I wouldn’t want you to do that. You deserve better than me. I’m just a silly broken boy. You, a beautiful and smart girl, could do so much better without me. You’ve made an impact on my life in a short amount of time. You made me happy within my last moments, and I can’t thank you enough for that.  I love you. You were the only girl that’s ever meant something to me. I’d never forget you. I’ll never forget the first kiss we had. It wasn’t very special, but it meant a lot. You were the closest thing I’ve ever had to a girlfriend. You weren’t scared of me like everyone else. You’re not one to judge. You made me feel as if I was an actual human. That meant so much to me and you’ll never understand. Since you wanted to know my past so badly, I’ll tell you. I was just a regular shy boy who was bullied. I never did anything else. Any rumor you were told were lies. The people in school ruined me. I let them define me with their words. I did this to myself. I caused myself to become this terrible of a person. I could have decided but I was too stubborn. This whole time I've been writing this. I didn't know how to word this properly. This is why I didn't want you to get infatuated with me because I am a burden. I had writer's block up until the argument we had. I’ve been trying to write this but I didn’t know how to. But, none of that matters anymore. Violet, never ever let anyone ever define you. Stay yourself; don’t ever listen to what others say. I feel bad leaving it like this, but I just had to do it once and for all. Hopefully, you’ll forgive me one day. God, I’ll miss seeing your beautiful face. I’m sorry I did this.
       With Lots of Love,
                       Ashton.
“Officer, what time is it?” Violet asked, unexpectedly.
Mr. Ramirez looked down to his watch and said, “It’s about midnight.”
“What time was his death?” said Violet.
“Around nine o’clock.” replied one of the other officers.
“Nine in the afternoon.” Violet mumbled

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 

Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.