Not me? | Teen Ink

Not me?

By JYazzmen GOLD, Pensacola, Florida
JYazzmen GOLD, Pensacola, Florida

"you can find out who a person is by the kind of books they read"

There's nothing really interesting about her life, she's a 16 year old Asian girl in Silverton Alaska with light brown hair cut short and if she was standing in the sunlight at just the right angle you could see just a hint of red in it; she has blue eye's that sometime turned to a really bright blue if she was super happy which was almost never when she was outside and especially around other people. Her name is Eryn Vines, she attends Silverlight High School, she has no friends and to her; her life is utterly boring she tries to be invisible but it never seems to work she sits alone at the back of the cafeteria trying to go unnoticed.
Eryn was never one to jump up and try to talk to someone people always came to her and started the friendship that's the only reason why she had any 'friends'. In any case all that changed when she got to high school freshman year she didn't have any friends and she didn't know anyone so Eryn kept to herself- or at least tried to; a quiet Asian who did nothing but sit by herself and draw manga seemed to be an easy target for people to come and crack jokes that were never funny and overall make life a living hell.
Eryn wasn’t the only Asian that was at her high school, but she was the only one who seemed to follow the stereotype. Quiet, study's, and has 'The Asian Eyes'. For some reason people forgot that she was supposed to be able to kick their butts, but in any case they always 'forgot' that their books were in the middle of the walkway and she'd find herself face first with the floor. Luckily these bullies were in their senior year so she only had to endure the abuse until the end of the year.
On one peculiar day for Eryn the bullies seemed M.I.A so instead of worrying about when they'd strike next she took the breathing room and started working on a piece of manga that was starting to put her in a funk; the main charter was looking for her best friend when the antagonist came and wanted to fight her, but she couldn't find any good enough reason for them to fight. As a matter of fact the whole story was looking less and less like a story and more like a piece of crap. So as she was trying to come up with something that would make the story worthy of anyone’s time Eryn saw someone's shadow hovering over her; at first she tried to ignore whoever it was hoping that they would just go away, but the person wouldn't leave so finally she looked up. There was a guy who looked like one of the 'popular' guys that made Eryn immediately hate him; with olive skin and a fitted grey t-shirt that seemed to hug his skin in all the right places, his blue jeans hung low on his hips. He had curly black hair that curls around the nape of his neck, making it look like a shag carpet; his eyes were such a light color of grey that they almost looked silver. He had broad shoulders and a height of 6’2; he had his right ear pierced with a single stud. When Eryn looked up at him he gave her a warm smile and a small wave. He let out a small squeak that Eryn presumed was a greeting of hello.
"What do you want?" Eryn asked flatly, she knew she was being rude but she stop caring how people at school perceived her.
"Well I saw that you were sitting by yourself and I was wondering if you wanted to come sit with us." Eryn looked at him for a moment trying to see the hidden motive behind his kindness.
"No thanks," Eryn said trying hard to sound nice but knew she wasn't doing a good job. "I'm working on something right now so I'm good." Instead of moving away like a normal person would have he leans over Eryn trying to see what she was working on.
"Why do those people look like that?" He asked, Eryn couldn't help but to let out a sigh she always hated how no one seemed to know what manga was.
"It's called manga, their supposed to look like that" Eryn said sadly. "Now if you're done harassing me I'd like to get back to my work."
"Well can I sit with you? I thought that maybe we could-"
"If you thought that I would fall for that crap you've got to be something stupid, I wasn’t born yesterday go tell your friends that their plan has a little nick in it." Eryn said so coldly that the boy took a step back; he looked at Eryn with a confused look on his face.
"I-this wasn’t part of any plan I-I just thought that you might want to hang out and stuff." But Eryn was already shaking her head not wanting anything to do with the popular-looking boy.
"Well can I at least get your name?" the boy asked a little too wistfully.
"Your name first," Eryn said looking at her manga.
"I'm Nico Getta"
"Eryn Vines"
Nico smiled at Eryn once more and gave her a wave goodbye then he turned around and went back to his table. Eryn looked back at Nico and the people at his table, when Nico saw her looking he smiled at her and Eryn quickly turned around trying to focus on her manga.

Eryn was heading to her World History/Debate class when Nico walked up next to her.
"Hey," he greeted
"Hi." Eryn replied
"What class do you have next?"
"Nothing you need to concern yourself with, I'm sure we don't have any classes together." Eryn said with a neutral tone.
"Well I have World History/Debate with Mr. Whiting” Nico said looking at a piece of paper in his hand. Eryn groaned inwardly but let out a forced laugh that sounded more like a scoff.
"I just so happen to have the same class," she let the words out with a long sigh.
"Well then you can show me the way to class." Nico said with a laugh. Eryn looked at him like he just asked her to marry him.
"Do not tell me that you're a new student," Eryn groaned. Nico just smiled at her and nodded.
"Why don't you have your friends to show you the way?" Eryn asked starting to walk away. But Nico either Nico was an idiot who couldn't get the massage or he was to hard-headed to receive it; either way he wouldn't let Eryn get off that easy.
"Um-ya see I-I mean that well none of them have any classes with me" Nico said a little too shyly. Eryn couldn't tell what Nico was up to bet she knew she didn't want anything to do with him.
"Fine," Eryn said defeated, "Follow me".

Eryn was about to pull her hair out with all of the attention she was getting. Well she wasn’t getting anything but looks of confusion and had whispers going around the class. Nico just had to sit next to her, of all people! That was who was getting all of the attention.
"What do you think you're doing?" Eryn asked when Nico set his books on the desk next to hers.
"I'm going to sit down with my friend," he replied coolly.
"I’m not your friend!" Eryn hisses. Nico shrugged it off and plopped down on the seat next to her and started to take out his notebooks and pencil's getting ready for class. Eryn was starting to feel conflicted about whether or not she should show him the ropes or just give him the cold shoulder when a girl who's name eluded Eryn came up to them.
"Hi, I'm Rose." The girl said
"Hi," Nico replied, "I'm Nico"
"Oh I have a big brother named Nico to you're the new kid right?" Rose asked sweetly. Nico nodded and Eryn was starting to feel sick form Rose's 'kindness' Eryn already knew why Rose came up to Nico and it wasn't just to meet him.
"Well Nico me and my friends were wondering if you'd like to come sit back with us Mr. Whiting's class isn't the best class at this school unless you know who to hang out with." Rose's eye's landed on Eryn and she gave a small smirk before turning back to Nico.
"Well that's nice and all but I love history I'm not sure how it ties in with debate but I'm sure that I'll survive just fine where I'm sitting." Nico looked at Eryn and smiled, Eryn bent her head down to hide her flaming cheeks; as much as didn't want anything to do with Nico she was glad that he wasn't leaving her to sit with someone else. Rose was about to reply to his rejection just as Mr. Whiting came in the class
"Miss Greene I'd like to start teaching but it seems that you are doing that for me and last time I checked I'm the one who's graduated high school and college and so therefore I should be the only one standing and the only one talking." Most of the kids in class snickered when Rose hurried to her seat, crossed her arms and gave a loud humph to show her displeasure of being the days joke.
"You might want to go and tell him you’re a new student," Eryn whispered to Nico deciding that she should at least help him get started and if he leaves her once he finds a better group she wouldn't get angry. Nico nodded and raised his hand.
"Yes?" Mr. Whiting asked lifting his glasses as he looked at Nico.
"Um I’m a new student and so I don't know what to do?" Nico said the last part with uncertainly and therefore made it sound like a question.
"Ok what's your name sir?" Mr. Whiting asked.
"Nico Getta."
"Ok first things first Mr. Getta, don't talk if you don't know. If it's meant to be a question then ask it like a question, if it's a statement then say it like it's a statement are we clear Mr. Getta?" Nico nodded and bowed his head in shame.
"Don't worry about Mr. Whiting, he's not mean that's part of his Debate facade, if you’re a good student you'll be his favorite, it helps if you’re out spoken in class," Eryn whispered to Nico.
"Oh and Mr. Getta I want you to come to my desk when I'm finished giving instructions,"
"Yes sir," Nico said with a defiant nod. "Hey thanks for the tip Eryn," Nico said with a giant smile. Eryn had to put her hand to her cheeks to cover her blushing; she was really starting to hate how Nico was making her feel.
After Mr. Whiting gave out the instructions for the day he motioned for Nico for come to his desk, Eryn found it a lot easier to concentrate on her work when he wasn’t around. Just as Eryn was finishing the reading assignment she was about to start on her two-paragraph side-of-the-story she noticed that someone had moved on the other side of Nico, Eryn looked over and saw Rose sitting next to Nico twirling her hair smiling at Nico.
"Hey Nico, I talked to Mr. Whiting and he said that I could help you throughout the class ‘ya know you being the new student and all.” Rose smiled at Nico sweetly and leaned closer to him.
“That’s nice and all Rose,” Nico said not looking at her, “But Mr. Whiting said that Eryn was going to show me the ropes of the class, he also said that she was a good student and I should follow her example.” Nico turned too looked at Rose and gave her a polite smile.
“But-that’s not-I-I-It-ugh!” Rose stammered she swiftly got up and walked back to her desk. Nico looked at Eryn and smiled.
“You know you don’t have to follow my example, I’m plain and boring and someone like you would most likely have fun with people like Rose.” Eryn said with her head bowed over her work not wanting to look at Nico.
“Eryn I was lying to Rose, if I wanted to hang out with her I wouldn’t have made up that little story the truth is that I like hanging out with you- you’re a lot of fun.” Eryn looked up at Nico and felt her cheeks warm up she quickly went back to her work.
“That’s nice and all but who said I wanted to hang out with you, and I’ve been nothing but mean how would you know that I was nice?” Eryn didn’t look up but she could feel Nico’s eyes on her and it made her uncomfortable.
“Well let’s see you told me what manga was-one, then you told me to talk to Mr. Whiting-two, and then you told me not to worry about him you told me that I what I needed to do to keep him off my back-three. If you’re not nice then I’m not a new student.” Eryn didn’t say anything to Nico’s complement she just set her pencil down turned her paper down and set her head down.
“Eryn?” Nico asked with concern, “Eryn are you ok?” Nico set his hand lightly on Eryn’s back making her nearly jumping out of her seat. Mr. Whiting looked up from grading papers and saw Eryn and Nico. “Mr. Getta and Miss. Vines what is the problem?” Eryn looked at Mr. Whiting and slowly nodded her head.
“Yes sir, I-I’m not feeling well may I go to the nurse?” Mr. Whiting looked at Eryn and saw how pale her face was; he nodded his head and motioned for Eryn to come to his desk. Nico got up as well and followed Eryn to the desk; Mr. Whiting looked at Nico with a raised eyebrow. “Um I should go with Eryn just in case she needs it,” Nico said not taking his eyes off Eryn. “Very well,” is all Mr. Whiting said handing Nico a nurse’s slip.
Instead of taking Eryn to the nurse like he was supposed to instead Nico took Eryn to one of the many hidden make-out stairs and helped her sit down.
“Tell me what’s going on Eryn I’m not leaving until you tell me something.” Nico was looking at Eryn so intently that she turned away from him. “Something,” Eryn muttered under her breath putting her head between her knees. Nico let out a sigh and sat to where Eryn was facing him. “Eryn I’m not joking, why were you acting so weird in class?" Nico's voice was filled with so much concern that it made Eryn look up at him, she took a deep breath not wanting to tell him but knew she had no choice.
"Well all things considered I don't owe you anything I don't know you at all the way I act is of no concern of you." Eryn said trying to stall. "Ok Eryn," Nico said with a sigh. "If you want to stall I'll play along, let’s see." They sat there in silence while Nico thought. "Ok how's this, I hate sports, love reading and gardening I have an older brother and a younger sisters, I moved here from Rome and I really like to be around you, I-I don't know why but I feel this pull from you that makes me want to be near you." Nico just whispered the last part but since he was so close to Eryn she heard it with no problem; the only thing Eryn did was whimper and tried not to think about what Nico just said.
"Eryn am I saying something wrong, I'm sorry if I did but I-I just wanted you to know something about me so you'd open up a little-"
"That's not the problem," Eryn said cutting him off. "The problem is you acting like you've already fallen in love with me acting like we've been best friends forever and now you want to take it to another level. You don't know me I don't know you girls are going head over heels for you and you hang out with me; if only you knew what people were saying about me, just because your new you don’t know how things at Silverlight works if you knew, if you saw what I do all day every day you wouldn't feel that 'pull' you'd feel disgusted at how you used to feel about me, so go away and stay away." Eryn said quietly, then without another word she got up and started towards the nurse’s room.

After what happened on the stairs Eryn asked to change sit, claiming that she needed to be closer to the board, (even though she was in the second row), she hadn’t talk to Nico since, knowing he got the message and from hence would leave her alone. Although she couldn't shake this feeling it was something that she hadn't felt in a long time-guilt- most of the time she didn't care about her classmates feelings because they didn't care about hers, but it was different with Nico. After School Eryn had a feeling that she should go talk to Nico but shook the thought away, she told him to stay away from her what would it look like if she went around hunting him down she hated people who didn't do what they told other's to do so Eryn trudged along to her bus trying to get Nico off her mind. Once Eryn was sitting on the bus alone like she did everyday looking over her day's work when she felt someone sit beside her.
"Hey," said a timid voice.
"Go away before someone see's you with me," Eryn said in a tone dripping with bitterness.
"Eryn when I was in the cafeteria I asked the guys who was the girl sitting by herself, and they told me that you were some freak who did nothing that draw weird demon people with big eye's, they told me you used Chinese spells that you put on the teacher's so you get good grades some of them didn't even know who I was talking about. My point is that I've heard things about you that weren’t nice at all before I even talked to you; that in and of its self should prove to you that I don't care about what other's tell me about someone it should tell you that I get to know the person for who they are. I know that you're not the kind of heartless person that you show to other I see that you're trying to protect yourself from getting hurt by other people's words because I use to do the same thing Eryn so we have more in common than you think." Eryn looked into Nico's silver-grey eyes and knew that he was telling the truth.
"We may have that in common and all but I still don't want to hang around you-too many girls want to sit with you and they'd try to knock me down trying to get to you even if you want to hang out with me. I refuse to deal with drama and I therefore avoid people whom I know will bring said drama." Eryn's tone was clipped and brisk as if she were just taking care of business.
"Eryn." Nico said his eyes looking so sad it made Eryn turn away.
"No, I don't care I-I just want you to leave me alone I've been friendless for sixteen years and I know how to fill my time, I'm not a people person-I-I hate people and I hate people who bother me when I give them more than one warning you have no idea how mean I can get." Eryn’s clipped tone was starting to rise and she had to turn away quickly to control herself.
"So Eryn, I was in one of my classes and I thought about something," Nico said changing the subject and smiling at her. This wasn’t a 'hello how are you' type of smile it was an 'I've got something up my sleeve and you'll be the first one to know what' type of smile. When Eryn didn't say anything to Nico he continued. "Yeah I was wondering since you drew manga and all did you happen to know any other forms of anime." Nico said his smile widening. Eryn's head shot up so fast that it hit the back of the seat.
"Ow," she said, and then she gave Nico a cold stare. "What do you know about that stuff? You didn't know about manga until you asked me."
"Quite the contrary, Air remember when I told you where I'm from," Nico asked stroking his chin in a not at all seriously way. Eryn nodded her head waiting for him to continue.
"Well I've been to quite a few countries around the world and I know a lot about them-"
"Oh well would you look at that," Eryn said looking out the window. "This is my stop to go home; I hope we don't get a chance to finish the worst conversation that I've heard since my parents tried to give me 'the talk'." Eryn said in a bored tone that she was working hard to keep even. Eryn didn't want to admit it but Nico had caught her attention he's had it from the moment she looked into those Silver-grey eyes...
Eryn shook her head trying for the umpteenth time that day to get Nico out of her mind. When she dared to look at him he was gathering his things getting into the cramped bus walkway.
"What do you think you're doing?" Eryn asked as he walked off the bus with her. Nico shrugged off her concerns walking towards the same yellow mustang that Eryn was walking towards.
"Right now, I'm doing what my mom told me to do. She said that I would be getting a ride from an old collage buddy of hers she said that her name was Sakura, then I got a text saying to look for a yellow mustang," Eryn nearly fell over when she heard the name what's worst that was her brother's car he was talking about, how could her day get any worse.
"I know that woman, that’s my mother- we'll be driving with my brother." Eryn whispered and then looked over at the yellow mustang that she knew she'd have to get into sooner or later. She looked over at Nico and slumped her shoulders in defeat, and walked towards the car silently telling Nico to follow her.
When they got into the car she saw a younger version of her father; bright green eyes and long black lashes that could make your heart melt in the right situation, dark brown hair that never stayed in place no matter how much he combs it. He's about 6'4 with pale skin and a slight 5'o clock shadow. The only difference between Eryn's father and brother is that her father is a business man who you never see in anything but a suite, whereas her brother is always 'chillaxing' and almost never takes things seriously.
"Hey baby sis, mom told me that we'd be picking up an old friends kid- whom I see you've already met."
"No I haven't, I just let some stranger follow me to the car," Eryn said.
"He wouldn't be a total stranger if you used your phone like most people, really, Pix mom sent you a text an hour before school was out and told you everything you needed to know sometimes I swear." Her brother said shaking his head.
"Don't smash at me!" Eryn said slapping him upside the head. "Hey! Not cool sis." her brother turned around and looked at Nico. "Sorry 'bout that you know how it is with little sister's it's so hard to keep them in-OW stop that pix that hurts any way I'm Yuukan na-means brave but you can call me Yuki."
"We all call him Kichigai Jimita Ikimono, half crazed creature" Eryn said hiding a smile.
"Oh you do not want to get into it with me Pix; we'll finish this when we get home just you wait and see." Yuki said.
"Um-" Nico said looking uncomfortable in the back seat.
"So what's your name kid?" Yuki asked looking at Nico through the rear view mirror.
"Nico Getta.”
"Ok Nico so how'd 'ya meet her?" Yuki asked.
"Um- well we meet at lunch and them we have some classes together so...yeah" Nico finished awkwardly. “Don’t tell me you tried to holla at her," Yuki said shaking his head. "Oh boy I bet it was funny when she told you off huh?"
"Actually, I didn't tell him off at lunch I was just rude like I'm always am I didn't tell him off until Mr. Whiting's class." Eryn said crossing her arms.
"Oh and why was that? Did he manage to make you say more than what do you want?" Yuki asked just as Eryn was nodding her head in a yes. "Well," he said "Elaborate Pix, you can't just leave me hanging."
"Wait until we get home bro you haven't even started the car I'd like to go home and finish my work." Eryn said looking out the window nicely avoiding her brother's question. Yuki sighed, started the car and drove towards their house in silence.

Once they got home Eryn ran to her room so quickly her mother didn't have time to tell her to stop before she was already locking her bed room door.
"Eryn!" Sakura no Hana yelled at her daughter from the bottom of the stairs. "Get your butt down here right now, we have a guest and you know the rules of this house! "Slowly Eryn opened her bed room door and slowly walked towards the top of the stairs looking at her mother. Eryn looked a lot like her mother, the same blue eyes and light brown hair, but her mother's was much longer, almost half way to her back. Sakura had high cheek bones, and full pink lips, she had a small nose and of course 'the Asian eyes.'
"Okaasan watakushi byooki no," Eryn whimpered holding her stomach bending a little.
"No she's not mom!" Yuki yelled, "She's feeling just fine I think she doesn't want to come out because she has a little crush on our guest of honor." Eryn felt like choking her brother right then but she knew the 'honoring the guest' rules so she couldn't do anything to him-yet.
Eryn heaved a sigh and walked back into her room grabbing her backpack.
"Eryn," her mother said in a warning tone.
"It’s cool mom don't sweat I'll be down in a second ok?" Eryn said standing at the threshold of her bedroom holding something behind her back she waited for her mother to go back into the living room before she slowly walked down the stairs. When Eryn walked into the living room Nico looked up and smiled at her, Eryn made a face.
"So Eryn," Yuki said stretching out his legs almost tripping Eryn. "Tells us about your day."
"Bite me," Eryn said making a face at him. Their mother gave them a warning look and mouthed behave you two.
"So, Nico how was your day," the mother asked.
"It was ok as far as first day's go, I'd like to properly thank Eryn for helping me out on one of my classes," Nico said looking at Eryn. Yuki looked between Eryn and Nico and raised an eye brow; their mother was doing the same thing.
"Please tell us more," Yuki said leaning forward.
"Yuke," Eryn said in a sharp tone "Watch it."
"All's good in love and school," Yuki replied in a chilled tone. "Nico," their mother said not looking at her bickering children. "What do you mean," Sakura asked "Eryn is extremely shy and she normally doesn't talk to the people in her classes, this is somewhat shocking."
"Well we met at lunch and she told me that she was drawing manga, then she helped me get started in Mr. Whiting's class although-"
"Ma" Eryn said cutting Nico off in mid-sentence. "Did you know that he's been to Rome?"
"Well aside from the extremely rude way you cut him off Eryn I did know that, his parents have traveled around the world but once they got their third kid they wanted to settle down and moved to Washington but Lynn didn't want to she wanted to move to Canada so they opted out and came to Alaska." Sakura gave Nico a sheepish look, "I'm sorry Nico I shouldn't be talking about your family business like that." Sakura said bowing her head.
"Don't worry about Mrs. Vines there's nothing to hide behind and I was going to say that much anyway." Nico said rocking in his seat.
"Well your mom said that she'll come over after work and pick you up but it's been such a long time that we've seen each other that you might not leave until late." Sakura said smiling.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa wait what?" Eryn said standing up. "I'm sorry mother but I cannot-will not stay out here with him until he goes home if it’s late I've got homework and...Stuff" Eryn said slowing her tirade.
"Eryn honey no one said that you had to stay until then and as for homework if your that egar to do it then you and Nico can work on it together in the dining area.' Sakura said with a sweet smile that made Eryn ball her fist.
"No mother," Eryn said, "I do not have classes with him, only one that requires almost no homework." She said through gritted teeth.
"Well you know the teacher's and you know how they like their work so you can at least show him that." Sakura persisted. Neither Sakura nor Eryn knew why the other was being so persistent on not doing what the other wanted.
"Pix why don't you help the kid out it's not like we've got an arranged marriage for you two or anything," Yuki said giving Eryn an easy smile.
"No I don't have to and don't want to, why don't you help him Yuke, you've already graduated from school and so you know a lot more than I do," Eryn said pouting. Nico looked over at Eryn and smiled which made her immediately scowl at him. Sakura looked between the two.
"Eryn I want to talk to you in the dining area now." Sakura said getting up. "I'm sorry this will only take a moment after that you and Eryn can go and work on your homework together." Eryn groaned and followed her mother into the dining room waiting to be yelled into submission.
"Look mom, I know I'm being rude and all but that's because I don't like the kid, he wouldn't leave me alone at all until I yelled at him and even that didn't last long I just want to work on my manga." Eryn said in a tired tone. Sakura looked at her daughter and saw how tired she looked, under her eyes were dark like she didn't get much sleep, her mother sighed.
"Honey I just want you to make friends all you do is sit by yourself and draw you should be having the high school experience I don't want you to be alone all the time." Eryn knew what Sakura was doing and she knew this was the heart-felt moment that had them both in tears but Eryn wasn’t in the mood to play games.
"Mother I know but I do not like people, if you knew what happened to me every day during school you would see why I feel that way. I'm shy yes but people run over people like me they use us and throw us away I found that out just in time and this is my way of avoiding it." Eryn's voice was low and she was looking at her shoes knowing she would get an earful.
Just as Sakura was going to say something Nico walked in with his backpack.
"I'm so sorry for walking in and all but I was wondering if Eryn and I can get working on our homework. I-I um have um- I need to talk to her its important."
"Oh of course sweetheart, I'm so sorry for holding you up and if you need anything, anything at all just ask ok?" Sakura said walking out of the room before Nico could even nod. Eryn sat down and opened her backpack pulling out her chemistry homework. "I'm going to work on my homework alone and you will work on your homework alone if you have any question's ask Google this is your first and last warning if you break the rules you will not like me and I will be in big trouble and neither of us want that do we?" Eryn said coldly not even looking at Nico.
"Eryn I-"
"Do you understand?" Eryn said louder griping her pencil.
"No Eryn I'm not going to just sit here in silence and work on homework and act like we don't know each other-"
"We don't know each other!" Eryn yelled. "You act all calm and collected and act like you want to be my friend but you don't your just being nice and I hate nice I hate people and most of all I hate YOU!" Eryn was standing now, walking up to Nico without fear. "I hate how you don't have to worry about people calling you a freak, I hate how you keep trying to push your way into my crappy life and I hate how you-" Eryn cut herself off suddenly going back to her seat trying to go back to her homework; her hands were shaking so badly that she couldn't even write out the problems and her eyes were brimming with tears so she could barely see. Nico walked over to her and took the seat next to her trying to catch her eye but failed.
"Please," Eryn said her voice shaking, she cleared her throat trying to gain control over her emotions again. "Please just go away leave me alone I'm better off alone always have always will be."
"Eryn you can't be happy by yourself, I'm not saying that I'll make you happy but you need people" Eryn was still trying to act like she was more interested in doing her homework than talking with Nico but what he just said made her slowly turn around and look at him. Sitting this close to Nico Eryn could see that he didn't look so perfect as she first thought; under his eyes were a soft grey as if he hadn't slept for days. His arms had faint scars, that had no aparent pattern from his upper arm all the way to his wrist. Eryn looked into Nico's eyes and her heart constricted, she didn't want to have butterflies in her stomach when she looked or thought about Nico she didn't want him in her life- but she had a hard time not seeing him in her future.
"Eryn how many best friends have you had?" Nico asked sitting down next to Eryn.
"I've had friends-"
"No Eryn, I said best friends, someone who you could talk to about anything at any time." Eryn shook her head knowing that if she opened her mouth she'd start crying and she wasn't about to do that.
"You're a fun person, Eryn I saw how you Yuki had that little back and forth and you were happy to talk, to laugh why don't you do that with other people?" Nico's voice was soft and willing, Eryn could tell that he truly cared but she didn't know why.
"Why do you care so much?" Eryn asked softly. Nico looked into Eryn's blue eyes with such intensity that she couldn't pull away.
"Because I was like you at one time Eryn, my parents traveled all over the world and I got to learn so much but I never felt right. I'd only stay for two years at most never really having friends; I became depressed and I started looking for a way out. When we went to Thailand a kid told me about self-mutilation and how it helped him, so I tried it and I didn't feel so alone because I knew other kids were doing it." Nico's voice was so soft that if Eryn wasn't sitting so close to him she wouldn't be able to hear him.
"Eryn I didn't always look like this before I moved to Spain I was more than a hot mess, people called me God's mistake that I should go off and kill myself and so I tried but as you can see, it failed. My mom didn't know what was wrong with me all she knew was that I wanted to move and so she took us to Spain. That was when I became this-" Nico moved his arms over him showing off his 'good looks'. "Anyway, someone said that I had a lot of potential and offered to give me a complete makeover for close to nothing, and this was born." Nico blushed as Eryn raised her eyebrow slightly. "Anyway what I'm trying to say is that nothing's going to last forever Eryn but things won't get better if you don't go and take that first step."
"Look I know all of that, what do you think my mother's been trying to get me to do all this time? Become a whore and sleep with every man I see, no she's trying to get me to make friends. I've taken that first step and for a moment everything seems all fine and dandy but then the other person keeps moving on and either act like they don’t know you or they trample over you. That’s happened more than once and so I lost all faith in people. You were lucky to have people see something in you. All people see in me is that I'm Asian and am nothing more than a way to cheat in math." Eryn couldn't stand being close to Nico anymore she couldn't stand being in the same room as him, so she gathered up her things and started towards the door.
"Eryn I'm Asian too," Nico said just before she left the room.
"What?" she asked turning around.
"I'm just like you- I'm Japanese, native born." Nico said with a nod.
"But-but" Eryn sputtered.
"But I don't look like an Asian yes I know people get a kick out of it but it's true. I was born in Japan, my younger sister was born in Greece, and my brother was born in the U.S." Eryn eyed Nico one final time before she walked out of the room without saying a word.