Marriage Grounds | Teen Ink

Marriage Grounds

By Ashira SILVER, Dunscore, Dumfriesshire, Other
Ashira SILVER, Dunscore, Dumfriesshire, Other

I do it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I COULDN'T!

Author's note: First thought of the idea of a marriage grounds in a dream but didn't develop it in to a proper story till about two years later. I hope that people will realize that it isn't always about looks and that it is for the person inside that you fall in love with.

By proclamation of the world council, each country must establish Marriage Grounds. Within the Marriage Grounds, all social class will be abolished. It will be compulsory for each young woman on their eighteenth birthday to enter the marriage grounds for a minimum of two years. Each woman will be given personal lodgings and clothing upon arrival. Only five personal items may be allowed within the grounds. They may be anything from a necklace to a horse. The women will be taught social graces and life skills of a woman.

Each Saturday, suitors will be admitted to the grounds for a formal ball. Each gentleman will be given clothing and lodging for as long as they wish to stay at the Marriage grounds and court the ladies

There will be a neutral area, where the gentlemen and ladies may interact during the day. Restaurants and educational buildings will be located with in the neutral grounds. For half each day the young ladies will attend classes, the gentlemen will be allowed in to the neutral zone after all the ladies’ lessons are over. Gentlemen may request the company of a lady for dinner in one of the restaurants located in the neutral zone. When a lady from the marriage grounds wishes to leave the grounds for a ride or for any other reason, a guard must accompany them wherever they go. They must be back with in the Marriage grounds by twelve o’clock each weekend day and by five on weekdays.

If a gentleman proposes when a lady is within the marriage ground, the lady has the right to refuse the gentleman if they wish to do so. If the lady accepts then they are free to leave the marriage ground to have the marriage in their own town. A lady is free to choose who ever they wish but they must truly love the man for divorce is frowned upon. The couple must marry for love and not for wealth or status.

“Lily, where are you wandering off to?” Clara rushed over to me. She was short for her age emphasised by her long brown hair that swept the floor.
“That, Clarence, is none of your business but if you really must know I was going to take Bo out for a ride.” I said as I rounded on her.
“By yourself? Do you have your mask?”
“I can remember the rules Clara. I don’t have a three second memory like some people, besides I am not even out of the woman’s section yet.”
“Lily, you are snappy this morning. I do not have a three second memory. I had something in my eye and I needed to get it out. It was easier with my mask off.” Clara made her excuses, which were kind of useless since all women knew she had gone to meet one of the gentlemen.
“What ever you say, Clara. I must get going. I said to the stable boy to have Bo saddled by ten.” I reached behind my head and tied my mask over my eyes.
“Fine, well if you are not back by twelve I will send some one to find you.”
“Clara, we are only allowed out till then anyway. I was going to take Bo down the river path and back over the third bridge. It will at most take an hour.” I said over my shoulder as I walked through the gateway to the neutral zone. I made my way through the streets that were crowded with men and a few couples. Bo whinnied when he saw me enter the stable, he was saddled and ready to go.
“Miss Lily, where are you planning on going today?” I watched as the stable boy filled out a form with the information before handing it to me to sign, Lily Caver.
“Thanks, miss. Have a nice ride.” The stable boy shouted to me as I trotted off towards the river. There was the usual spring in Bo’s trot as I left the marriage grounds. I was vaguely aware of a guard following me but I ignored him. When I joined the shady river path, I was greeted by the quiet rushing of the river and the startled quacking from a couple of ducks. The sun’s rays danced between the tree leaves to fall on the ground exhausted from their merry dance. Bo slowed to a steady walk along the rough path but I didn’t mind, it gave me time to enjoy myself. I think he didn’t want the ride to be as quick either. If we had remained trotting it would have taken only half an hour compared to the hour we planned to make it. I let Bo navigate his way along the path with only a slight tough of the reins now and again. Bo whinnied when we arrived at the meadow next to the river where the path opened out. I pulled him to a halt before sliding out of my saddle to the ground.
“Miss Caver, are we stopping here?” The guard asked when he caught up to me.
“Yes. I want Bo to have a relaxing time here for a little. He doesn’t like being in the stables for so long. He is used to running free over the hills.”
“Very well miss, I will unsaddle your horse for you.” The guard dismounted and approached Bo. He skittered away from the guard and wouldn’t let him approach
“I think that is impossible for you. Sorry but he is very stubborn.” Bo trotted over to me and I quickly unsaddled him. I stretched out in the cool grass and gazed up at the bright blue cloudless sky. Bo was munching grass nearby but soon came to settle down next to me. I moved to lie against him and he adjusted himself against me before settling down again.

You know, I didn’t think that I would ever find the right man like Clara had. To be honest, I wasn’t sure I even wanted to find the right man. I was happy by myself, well as long as I had Bo, Hannah, James, Mum and Dad that is. I was happy.

I was shaken from my thought when I felt a stir against my back. I looked up and noticed Bo’s focus was on the opposite side of the meadow. From where I was, I couldn’t see what had caught his attention because I was too slumped and unable to look over his back. I was forced to sit up as Bo rose to his feet.
“What is it, boy? What is wrong?” I stood and placed my hand against his neck. He tossed his head back to look at me before staring back at the opposite side. I followed his gaze to see a dark haired gentleman entering the meadow on a chestnut mare. I felt Bo surge away from under my hand towards the gentleman, who reigned in his mare hoping to avoid Bo’s charge. The chestnut mare began to shift uneasily and the man tried to get her under control again but was failing. I whistled sharply and the charge halted. Bo trotted peacefully back to me. I grabbed his bridle and quickly put it on him before he could do something stupid. The gentleman was now trotting over and I realized that I still had my mask on to my great relief. I noticed my guard coming over leading his own horse. I bobbed my best curtsey I could with Bo pulling in his reins.
“I apologise for my horse’s behaviour towards you. He reacts that way to strangers when I am with him. If I don’t know the person he goes all defensive on me and it is sometimes hard to control him.” I explained.
“He did no harm to me or my Mui so there is no problem here. My mare occasionally does the same. You are from the marriage grounds aren’t you?”
“Yes sir, that’s right. I should be getting back now. I am sorry once again, sir.” I curtseyed again before leading Bo back to where I had left his saddle. I had expected for the gentleman to just leave but he just remained unmoved staring at me.
“Sir, is there a problem? Can we help you in any way?” My guard asked.
“Yes I believe you can. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to show me the way to the marriage grounds.” He asked politely.
“Oh right yes of course we can show you the way to the grounds, sir.” I turned back to Bo and mounted up in to the saddle. Bo began to move off in the direction from which the gentleman had come. The guard fell in behind us riding side by side.
“Excuse me but aren’t you heading the wrong way?” The gentleman said as his mare fell instep with Bo.
“You are right and wrong. My horse wants to finish his ride so he will go back the way he wants to. He knows where he is going.”
“Clever horse you have there then. I should introduce myself. I am William Cross and I haven’t been to a marriage ground before.”
“Lily, Lily Caver. Almost finished my second year at the marriage grounds.” I managed to say despite my nervous state.
“Nice to meet you, Miss Caver. So what is your background like? What is your family like?”
“Sir, no questions in to personal backgrounds please. Any questions related to status are not allowed with in the marriage ground.” My guard chided William for his questions.
“Sorry, I didn’t know that.” William laughed. His laugh was beautiful, deep and ringing with mirth.
“Please, I don’t mind talking about my family. I have two loving parents also a younger brother and sister. What about you sir? Your family?”
“Parents and a younger sister who is a couple of years younger than you. I am visiting her that is my reason for visiting the marriage ground.”
“I might know her then.”
“You might, her name is Clarence but everyone calls her Clara because she hates Clarence.
“I know Clara. She is my friend and almost best friend.”
“Almost best friend?” William queried what I said.
“Well she would be my best friend if she would quit nagging me like I am three.” William burst out laughing at my response to his question.
“That sounds like her alright. She treats me like a child and I am three years older than her. She is like that for everyone. I have no idea how our parents put up with it.”
“You say that about your own sister?”
“Well we get on so well that it doesn’t matter what we say about each other, we always are good friends. I suppose I will see her tonight at the ball.” William pondered.
“Yeah I suppose you will.” The walls of the marriage ground were now visible through the trees a head of us. The entrance to the neutral zone could be seen with a steady flow of people going in and out with food carts and people entering to stay and so on. We reached the gate not long before twelve. We paused just inside the gate and my guard slipped away in to the crowd.
“Lily, thank you for showing me the way here. I was getting lost along those back paths.”
“You are welcome, sir. I will tell Clara that you have arrived safely for you.”
“Thank you, Lily.” William moved his mare away from Bo and headed away to the gentleman’s stables. I began to move away in the opposite direction. I hadn’t gone far when Clara came hurtling round a corner.
“Lily Caver! Where have you been?” She shouted as she ran up to Bo and me.
“Sorry Clara, I never meant to be out for so long. I met some one while I was out.”
“Oh who did you meet? Was he handsome? What was he like?” Clara began to plague me with questions and I knew she wouldn’t stop until I had answered all of them. I slipped out of Bo’s saddle and pulled the reins over his head so I could lead him along behind me as I walked.
“I can tell that I will have to answer your questions. So lets get it over with then.” I began to walk slowly with Clara instep beside me. I sighed and waited for Clara’s onslaught to begin.
“So are you going to tell me about him or do I have to ask?”
“I don’t need to tell you anything about him.” I said as I walked on in front of her.
“Why not? Come on we are best friends.” Clara whined as she hurried to catch up.
“Almost best friends. He agreed that you are always treating other people like they are three.”
“Really? Well that was very nice of him. I don’t like this man you speak of he seems very rude to comment on someone he doesn’t even know.” Clara was in a grump now. She had a very sour look on her face.
“He also said that it didn’t matter what he said about you because you would always be good friends. You asked if he was handsome and the answer would definitely have to be a yes. He has a great personality from what I could tell and he knows you so well that it is no surprise after he explained that you were… oh well never mind.” I said as I quickened my pace trying to get back to the stables. Clara was quiet for once, which was strange. She didn’t say anything until Bo was brushed and stabled.
“Lily, how did he say he knew me?”
“I though you would have worked that out already.”
“Well I haven’t ok? So just tell me already.” Clara begged.
“I met William Cross, your brother. He was lost on the way here so I brought him in. he wants a dance tonight by the way.” I saw Clara visibly relax at my words.
“That is great. I will introduce you properly tonight while you don’t have your mask on.” Clara clapped her hands with glee.
“Please Clara don’t tell him anything about me and my family. I don’t want him to know more than he has to know. Also please don’t play little miss matchmaker. I want to be allowed to decide on my own what I want to do.”
“Lily, who do you think I am? I would never play matchmaker for you. You are too perceptive and let alone stubborn at times.”
“Fine but still promise that you won’t play matchmaker.” I said giving her a stern look.
“I promise then.” Clara said but I noticed a twinkle in her eyed that told me that the promise she had just made would be broken quickly. I kind of didn’t mind if she did break that promise but I feared what might be the conclusion to her matchmaking. For when Clara gets something wrong it goes wrong in a big way. I sighed and turned away.
“Come on Clara. We need to get going or we will be late for lunch.” I moved off at a quick pace.

Evening arrived quickly and we were soon all preparing for the ball. It might have arrived quickly because I had had this nervous flutter in my stomach for the whole of the afternoon. I reached behind my neck to fasten on my mother’s necklace of pearls when someone took the clasps and did it for me.
“Lily, it is time to go.” I glanced in the mirror to see Clara standing ready behind me.
“Thank you Clara.” I stood and gathered up my things before turning to face Clara. “Something wrong Lily?” Concern written on her face.
“Sorry nothing is wrong, I just … oh never mind. It is nothing important.” I said. Clara didn’t look as though she believed me but nodded anyway. We left my cabin and joined the stream of women heading to the Great Hall. Upon arrival Clara went to take her usual place and I was about to head to mine but Clara just pulled me along behind her.
“Clara what are you doing?” I hissed at her when we arrived at the very front of the entrance line.
“Just trust me. You can go second today, no one will mind.”
“But Clara you know the unspoken rule! I can’t go second no matter what.” I insisted.
“It is a stupid rule, spoken or not. I want my friend by my side. Is that wrong? I am lonely waiting for you to enter.” Clara whined. There was just no beating her.
“Fine just this once.” I took up my place behind Clara, giving an apologetic smile to the women behind me. I was about to tell Clara again that this was a bad idea but the opening of the doors prevented me. Clara immediately began walking and I followed on behind. The sudden brightness as I entered blinded me momentarily but I saw the gentlemen lined up smartly, and I gasped. They were all so handsome. There were a few new faces as well but my eyes only rested upon one man. I was so busy staring that I almost bumped in to Clara when she stopped. We were all in the Great Hall now and there was dead silence with the occasional rustle of a skirt of the tap of a foot.
“Gentlemen if you would now please choose you lady for the first dance. Please do so one at a time.” The dance caller announced. Let the dance begin. I watched as William detached himself from the gentlemen with a pleasant smile on his face. I noticed him winking at Clara before coming to sweep a low bow before me. I blushed as he offered me his hand. I took it and bobbed a low curtsey. He led me away to one side as the next gentleman stepped up.
“I see that you are well off for yourself. I only learnt of this particular rule earlier today after you left me.” William whispered to me.
“On the contrary sir, Clara dragged me to the front from my usual place. You know that there is no winning against her once she has set her mind on something.” I protested.
“And where might your usual place be?” William asked.
“I don’t wish to say.” I glanced around hoping to find a distraction and talk about something else but there was nothing.
“My sister seems to have found herself quite a gentleman there.” I glanced at where William was indicating and noticed Clara with the gentleman, who had claimed her. She seemed to be enjoying herself immensely.
“Yes I rather approve of the match. He is honest and kind. From what I can tell he isn’t using her in anyway.” I remarked.
“Indeed, I like him a lot from what I have seen of him. Lily?”
“What?”
“You didn’t answer my earlier question. Where are you usually in the entrance line? I would like to know even thou I don’t care.” William said gently. I turned to face him and for the first time looked at his face properly. He had high cheekbones like Clara but where her mouth was a tight line, William's was smiling broadly showing off his perfect white teeth. I looked at his eyes and noticed the deep ocean blue of his eyes and the twinkle of laughter hidden in the corner.
“You will find out next weekend if you are staying that long.” I answered and smiling wickedly.
“You are unfair Miss Caver but I will not be denied for I will be here then. Now shall we dance?” He offered hi hand out to me for the dance. I hesitated before slipping my hand in to his. He dragged me on to the dance floor and that was not the last time either. We had many dances that night together. He held me very close when the main reels stopped and slow music began to play. The evening ended with a promise to go riding the next day together. Of course originally it was going to be just myself and William but Clara and her young man, john, ended up joining us. It was a very pleasant day until a rain shower forced us to return earlier than we planned. Although our ride was short lived, we ended up dining together the evening to make up for it.

During embroidery on Monday I found myself looking back on the good time I had the day before. Clara leaned across to peer at what I was embroidering.
“Well it is obvious who that is for.” She whispered quietly to me.
“What do you mean?” I was startled out of my daydreaming.
“Well you are almost finished the C on that and you seem to have forgotten that your name starts with an L and not a W.” I looked down at my work and realised I had embroidered WC on to the handkerchief.
“I thought I would give it to him as a thank you for yesterday.” I said hurriedly trying to disguise the fact that I had unconsciously done it. I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t noticed what I was doing.
“Right ok that is very believable because you embroider a handkerchief for each man who takes you out.” Clara said sarcastically.
“Well if it makes you happy Clara, then I will admit that I didn’t realise that I was doing it.” I said as I stopped embroidering to face Clara properly. She was grinning broadly at me, which annoyed me even more.
“Oh my Lily! You have a problem but I can’t call my brother a problem.” Clara laughed at me. I scowled but she just laughed even harder at me.
“I give up Clara. I don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t have very long left here before I go home again. My brother and sister miss me and I miss my family.” I said before taking a deep breath, “All my feelings are mixed up and I don’t know what to do. I am frustrated.”
“Well I never thought I would see the calm composed Lily in a confused concerned state.” Clara said. I glanced at her and rolled my eyes. I hoped that I would get over my phase of thinking about William but I probably wouldn’t and to make it worse Clara knows.
“Clara, please leave me to sort out my own problems. I am going back to my cabin. I will see you later.” I packed up my kit and folded the handkerchief before stuffing it in to my pocket. I gave Clara a small wave as I left the room and she beamed back at me.

The rest of the week past slowly with me embroidering several more handkerchiefs and the pocket of a beautiful waistcoat. I had seen William many times that week but I never had enough courage to give him the handkerchief I kept in my pocket. It was Saturday again and my week had been full of thoughts about William. He was hard to ignore I had been in the garden and was returning to my cabin with some roses when I bumped in to William.
“Whoa there, Lily sorry about that.” William said as he bent to pick up the flowers I had dropped.
“Sorry and thank you.” I said as he returned the roses to me.
“Not a problem. Will I have the pleasure of dancing with you tonight?”
“Certainly, I will be there in my proper place.” I promised.
“Would you care to take a turn about the park? It really isn’t far from here unless of course you have something you must do.”
“I don’t have anything important to do so I will join you.” We walked in silence to the park. It was not an uncomfortable silence but somehow I felt uneasy.
“Lily how is your family?”
“In good health as far as I know. I don’t hear from them often but soon I will be able to go home. I miss my brother and sister.” I said.
“How long do you have left here then?” William asked.
“Not long at all sir.” I replied. We had now turned down a deserted path heading further in to the garden. I let William lead the way and I followed. Silence had fallen again, this time it was uncomfortable for both of us.
“Lily, please call me William or just Will. I really don’t like being called sir at all. We are friends, are we not?”
“But I could never do something like that.”
“Please Lily just when we are together like this. I feel very self-conscious whenever I am called sir or master. I suppose it has to do with my family and at home.”
“But I could… it wouldn’t…”
“No Lily just say yes.” There was just no refusing his handsome plea.
“Yes, William.” I stuttered.
“Thank you Lily.” We were now in the centre of the maze in the park and I hadn’t noticed us entering it either.
“Lily, can I tell you something?”
“Depends on what you want to talk about.” I replied laying my roses down on the bench.
“I get so much pressure from my parents to marry but I never saw any reason. I didn’t come to the marriage grounds seeking a woman to marry. I just came to see my sister. I hadn’t seen her for two years since I had been sent abroad to study and she couldn’t visit. She wrote often. She came here two months ago and she began to write about everything that happened here. She described everything perfectly, right down to the dance caller’s handle bar moustache. I had imagined it all just as she described it but she also described the friend she had made. Clara mentioned her often and soon I began to look forward to her letters just to hear news of her friend. I tried to imagine what she was like but I couldn’t compare my imagination to what she was like in real life.” William paused and glanced towards me. I couldn’t hold his steady gaze and found myself staring nervously at my feet. I heard the crunch of gravel as William came to stand in front of me. “Lily, please look at me.” His gentle hand against my cheek made me raise my head. “I thought I was in love with the woman my sister illustrated in her letters. I thought I would be able to… that I could know exactly what she was like through my sister’s description but when I saw that woman standing there with one hand on her horse’s neck and the wind blowing her long black hair out behind her. I knew that my imagination had failed.” I gasped as I realised just who he was describing. Clara had many friends besides me with in the marriage ground yet William said she only wrote about me to him. “Lily, you are beyond my wildest dreams. I never thought I would find a woman like you. I know we only met this time last week but I feel strongly for you. I know all this is sudden and I just don’t want you to feel obliged to answer me now about how you feel about me. Oh dear…. That went really badly didn’t it?” William said as he sighed and released me. He put some more distance between us and I let out the breath that I had been holding.
“Yes it did but I found it really sweet.” I said hesitantly.
“Really, I was just really nervous and I am sorry but I couldn’t hold back any longer.” William blushed and ran his hand through his unruly hair.
“William, I don’t know what to say.”
“Lily, please remove that silly mask. I want to see your beautiful eyes.” William was back in front of me; close enough for me to feel his warm breath on my face. His hands tenderly cupped my face before he reached behind me and pulled the bow out of my mask’s ribbons. I let him gently pull it off and I stared boldly in to the ocean of his eyes even though I felt I would drown in them.
“You are so beautiful.” His breath whispered across my lips and I couldn’t help but lick them in anticipation. His thumb smoothly followed my tongue across my lips before he bent his head to gently kiss me before it turned in to something more when his tongue slipped in to my mouth. He explored my mouth with his tongue as his hands explored my hair. He pulled away and I almost moaned in disappointment.
“Lily, stay with me please. Don’t ever leave me.” William said.
“I can’t guarantee that but I don’t want to leave you either.” I said knowing that it was true, in just a short week I had fallen for him hard. He reached round his neck and pulled out a small medallion on a long gold chain.
“Lily, please wear this for me. It means a lot to me and I want to entrust it to you. If you ever need something desperately just show this to someone. They will help you no matter what.” He slipped it round my neck and he kissed it before letting it fall against my chest.
“Why give this to me?” I asked.
“Because I care about you and I want to claim you before anyone else can lay a hand on you. Is that so wrong?” William asked with a broad grin on his face.
“No not at all. I love it. Shall we go now? I need to get ready for tonight. I really don’t want to be late again.” I whispered back to William even though I longed to remain standing there with him.
“Really? I thought that I could steal another kiss from you before you go.” Before I replied his lips where gently covering mine. It started out soft but turned in to something more that just a peck on the lips. We broke apart when we heard the crunch of gravel of someone approaching. William bent to pick up my mask and handed it to me before we were discovered. I quickly tied it in to place before a footman came round the corner.
“Miss Caver, an urgent letter arrived for you.”
“Thank you.” I accepted the letter he handed to me. He left as soon as he had handed it over.
“I will leave you to read your letter. I will see you tonight.” William left me to read the letter alone. I sat down on the bench that was set back in to the hedge of the maze before removing the seal. It was my brother’s handwriting, which was unusual. It was more likely for my father to write to me that my brother.

My dearest sister,

I write with a heavy heart for misfortune has befallen our parents.
They were travelling home in the trap when a bird darted out in front of Starlight when going round a corner on the cliff path. She started forward and she darted off the cliff. They didn’t survive the fall. You have been requested to return home due to our sister and I being under age. I am sorry but we have no other choice. I don’t want you to give up your chance to have a good life but there is no choice in the matter. You are to return immediately. Another letter has informed the marriage ground of the situation. As you read this I expect Bo to be being saddled and you dresses packed. I am sorry, my dear sister.
Your ever-faithful brother,
James.

A tear fell smudging the writing of the letter. I refolded the letter and moved swiftly towards the stables. As my brother had said my items were waiting from me all piled up in a cart with the driver ready to go. Bo snickered as he saw me and pulled his reins free from the stable boy’s hand. I met him as he trotted up to me.
“Time to go home then, boy. Sooner than expected but we have no choice.” I mounted up and moved off before I began to doubt myself and my confidence to leave the marriage ground and William.

“James, have you finished with the chickens yet?” I yelled out the back door to my brother.
“Yes just chopping a bit of wood.” I sighed and went back to finishing making dinner. The few potatoes, we had, were almost cooked so I pulled the pie from the oven to let it cool for a little bit. I pulled out a tray and placed one plate on it before setting the other two on the table. Since I had returned from the marriage grounds I had been working to keep the house running. James was a hired farm hand and I did odd sowing and washing jobs to bring in money. My sister, Hannah, was ill and was too weak to do anything. I took care of her as best I could but her condition was getting worse. I had been selling my marriage ground dresses quickly to buy medicine for her but I was down to my last dress.

I can remember when I first sold one and the trader was being hard on me but he stopped when he caught sight of the medallion William had given me. It was unusual but I didn’t question as to why he suddenly changed his mind. After that each time I went back he treated me with a lot more respect. Unfortunately today would be my last day of visiting him, as it was my final dress. It was the one that William had confessed to me in. it was hard to let it go but for my sister’s sake, I had to. I got a reasonable price for it, which made me happy. It was enough to buy more thread to mend clothes with also another bottle of medicine for Hannah.

I was on my way back home from the doctor’s when I heard a rumour about a noble.
“Have you heard that the young prince has been travelling recently?” I glanced towards the person who had spoken and discovered it was the baker’s wife and landlord.
“Yes I heard that but I thought her was in the marriage grounds two months ago.” The landlord said.
“He was but he left after one week. I heard that the princess was there so maybe he just went to visit her?”
“I doubt that but still he passed through Greendale a week ago and then now I hear he is heading down Forest Glen. That is only two days from here. What if he comes here? What then?” They were both quiet for a bit contemplating what they had just heard. I had stopped to listen to them but I knew I needed to keep moving, somehow I couldn’t.
“Well I hope that he doesn’t make a huge fuss over it.” The baker’s wife said. There was silence again but I could hear a muttering behind me. I turned to see the street crowded and a man on a chestnut mare entering the village. I took a closer look at the mare because it seemed familiar. I was right I had seen it before it was William’s mare. The man riding it was William. My heart rejoiced at the sight of him.
“Well speak of the devil. Here he comes himself. I am mighty glad he didn’t come with a huge train of people.” The landlord said as he rose to his feet. I turned to face the landlord and I knew that surprise covered my face. I couldn’t believe it. William was the prince. I ran. I couldn’t face him at all. We were in different worlds and although our worlds could join I knew it would be impossible. I ran all the way home. I burst in the door and almost over James.
“Lily, what is wrong?” James asked.
“Oh nothing just that the prince is in town. Just arrived. Anyway I am going out with Bo for a while.” I quickly dumped my load on the table before running to my room to change. I lent against my closed door and caught my breath. Why was he here? Why me? Did he really mean what he said to me at the marriage grounds? I saddled Bo quickly after I changed in to my riding clothes. I headed back towards town swiftly and halted at the end of the main street. I could see that people crowded William but he remained mounted. I saw my brother standing close to William with Hannah leaning on him for support. I watched as William bent down to talk to James. I noticed James pointing in my general direction and William glanced my way quickly before glancing back down at James but then he stopped and looked up again. Our eyes met and recognition shot through his eyes. He began moving towards me through the crowd but I flicked Bo’s head down a side street and spurred him in to a canter. I could hear him trying to follow me but I knew every back alley and every inch of the surrounding hills he would never catch me unless I wished it. I fled to the forest trail and remained at a canter down the narrow forest path but soon slowed to a walk. We picked our way between the trees and slowly wound out way down to the river. I lay idly in the sun while Bo grazed peacefully behind me. I didn’t hear the approach of several men until Bo whinnied in alarm. I felt a grubby hand clamp over my mouth and my eyes shot open from their sleepy droop. I struggled as best I could but they were just too strong. Bo was going wild as two men tried to restrain him. I frantically shook the hand covering my mouth free.
“Bo, go!” I shouted before the hand smothering my mouth again.
“Damn John, get a hold of her properly.” One man shouted at my captor. Bo took the opportunity to make a run for it. He whinnied loudly as he galloped away back to town.
“Let him go. We will never catch him before he gets back to town.” My captor John shouted as his friends began to mount up to follow Bo. They stopped and came over to us.
“Are you sure we have the right one? I mean does she really have it?” One man asked.
“Well would you care to do the honours and check if it is there Michael?” The one named Michael approached me and ran his hand round my neck before hooking up the medallion spun in front of our eyes.
“It is the genuine article alright. I can’t wait to find out how much this baby is worth to him.” The third man said. I stared at them wondering what was going on. My eyes were wide in surprise.
“Oh look I think out little lady doesn’t understand you Thomas.” Michael sneered.
“Shall we explain then?” John said mockingly.
“Lets. You see this medallion is the royal seal. You have got it meaning you are of royal blood. Your brother just walked in to town and we want to know what he will give us for your safe return.” Michael said. I couldn’t help it I just burst out laughing against the man’s hand.
“Hey, she is laughing at us.” John said. He removed his hand so his friends could hear. A look of rage covered Michael’s face and he struck me hard across my face. I gasped at the pain that shot through my cheek.
“Explain yourself!” Michael growled.
“I am nothing to Prince William. No more than a cast-a-side love. I bet there are hundreds of other women with the same medallion who have been cast a side by that mine.” I said. It was their turn to laugh at me.
“That medallion is one of a kind, lady and he wouldn’t give it to just anyone. You must mean a lot to him to have that.” Thomas said. What exactly did it mean? Why me? I mean he could have chosen anyone yet it was me he chose. I didn’t know whether to jump for joy at being chosen or to cry at the though that he might change his mind. I closed my eyes and surrendered to them.
“She does mean a lot to me considering she is my fiancée.” His voice cut through my doubting thoughts and my eyes leapt open. I saw him there with my sister hanging on behind him. My brother was on Moonbeam, the neighbour’s horse, and was leading Bo behind him. There was also William’s guard and a few other men from the village there as well. My brother raised a hand in greeting. I smiled weakly in response.
“How did you find us?” Michael snarled.
“Well it just so happens that Bo here is very protective of Lily and so returned and was in a mad frenzy. We just had to follow Bo here.” James said.
“Now then we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Hand Lily over and nothing will happen or if you resist then well lets just say we will get to that when the time comes.” William said. I felt John’s grip loosen on me so I tugged free from him and stumbled forward. I scrambled over to everyone and collapsed at Bo’s feet.
“Well that was interesting now that Lily is safe I suppose we can just leave now. Gentlemen, please put these men in a cell for a couple of days that is enough Lily do you agree?” William swivelled in his saddle to face me.
“That is fine. They have done nothing to me so there is nothing to worry about.” I mumbled looking at the ground. I couldn’t hold his gaze. William’s men dragged off Thomas, Michael and John back to the village. James and William were the only ones to remain. They dismounted and both helped my sister down from William’s mare. I stood and embraced Hannah and James.
“Are you alright, Hannah? You shouldn’t be out here.” I stuttered.
“I am fine don’t worry so much. James can ride me back to the village because you are worried about me.” Hannah said weakly. James took her and mounted her before his saddle. He waved as he disappeared before I could reply to Hannah.
“Lily we need to talk.” William said approaching me slowly.
“Yes I think we do. Look I am sorry for not saying goodbye when I left the marriage grounds but I didn’t have time to spare.” I said.
“I understand and I should have told you who I was.”
“But, Your Highness, you know that at the marriage grounds we can’t give away status details ever though it is displayed when we enter the great hall. I’ve known Clara, no I mean Her Highness since she arrived at the grounds yet I never thought twice about why she entered first out of everyone. I thought she was just the daughter of a high-ranking Duke or something. I never thought she would be a princess.” I said. William gently placed his hands on my upper arms and I raised my head to gaze at him.
“So after all that I didn’t get to see where you were meant to be at the Great hall entrance.” William said.
“Your highness, I apologize but I can’t tell you that.”
“Very well I will wait until you are ready to tell me. First you need to stop calling me highness. Second you will come home with me so Clara can see you.” William said.
“But I can’t my siblings…”
“Will be coming with us as I know you can’t be with out them. Also James has agreed to let Hannah see the Royal doctor so she can get better.” William finished my sentence. I opened my mouth to protest but William cut across me. “Do you want to know why I gave you that medallion? I gave it to you, so that people would know that I love you and that you are special to me. I want you and no one else.”
“Earlier when you first arrived you said I was your fiancée.” I said quietly.
“If that footman hadn’t arrived then I would have proposed right then” William dropped his hands to his sides. “Then you disappeared so I never got the chance. Since we are here now would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?” He had dropped to one knee and slid a plain but beautiful diamond lily on to my finger. I couldn’t move at all. William rose and spoke softly
“I assume that you are saying yes because you haven’t ripped the ring off your finger yet. I might just be wrong but I doubt it.” I smiled up in to his handsome face full of love for me.
“You aren’t wrong William. I am saying yes because I can’t live with out you. I realised that after only two months away from you.” I said as William’s arms encircled me and he held me tight.
“It took me a while to find you. Clara didn’t even know where you had gone. She finally told me where you live after all this time. I headed here as soon as I heard.” I laughed.
“I asked Clara not to play matchmaker it seems she kept that promise.”
“Oh dear Lily. Clara was playing the matchmaker role long before you asked her not to. It all started with her letters to me. She is one clever sister.”
“Are you serious about that William?” I pulled back to look at him.
“I told you didn’t I? I fell in love with you long before we met through my sister’s letters but that was only minor love compared to now when I actually know how stubborn and funny you are.” William said pulling me back to him.
“Just like Clara.” I mumbled in to his chest.
“What was that?”
“Nothing, we should be getting back. They will wonder where we have go to.” I said as I moved away to Bo’s saddle.
“You are right we should go.” He took the saddle from my hands and swiftly saddled Bo. He put the bridle over the saddle and took the lead rope that James had left loose.
“Wait William I was going to…” I didn’t get any further before I was thrown up in to the saddle of Mui. I watched as William tied the lead rope on to his saddle before mounting up behind me and threading his arms around me to pick up the reins.
“I don’t want you going off by yourself anymore. You mean too much to me I don’t want to let you out of my sight.”
“Well fine by me but only for one week because I do want some freedom.” I laughed.
“Your wish is my only command.” He replied with a wicked smile on his face. I laughed and we trotted back to the village in a stated of happy bliss.

James was waiting for us all outside the village inn as we trotted down the main street. Everyone was there as well waiting for my return. I felt expectation in hanging in the air. It was electrifying and butterflies began to flutter in the pit of my stomach. James strode forward as we dismounted.
“Congratulations Lily!” James winked at me. I blushed as a sudden cheer went up from all who were gathered in the main street. A young gentleman of about nineteen possibly twenty stepped forwards. He bowed before us and kissed my hand before straightening.
“May I congratulate Your Highnesses.” He said.
“Thank you Charles. Lily, this is Charles he is my squire and third son of the Duke of Cumbria and Yorkshire. He is extremely bright and a great sense of humour.” William said.
“Your Highness, you flatter me too much. I don’t deserve your praise.”
“Umm… William am I allowed to add modest to that list?” William laughed and so did everyone else. Charles had turned bright red “Sorry Charles but I am sure that whatever William say it must be true.” I said apologetically.
“Charles, remember I asked you to call me William or will and not your highness. We are friends, are we not?”
“Sorry William. It is just…” William cut Charles off with a glance.
“Charles, please don’t call me your highness either. I am Lily and I don’t was to be all show all of the time.” I asked.
“Certainly, Lily. If you will excuse me, I will take my leave now.” He bowed slightly before walking away and ordering around William’s men
“You know Will, has Charles ever been to a marriage grounds?” I asked as I watched Charles.
“I believe he visits the one on his father’s ground most of the time. He hasn’t been in a few weeks because of my hunt for you.” William’s arms surrounded me and he pulled my back up against his chest.
“You said his father was Duke of Cumbria and Yorkshire, didn’t you?”
“Yes I believe I did.” I turned to look up in to William’s smiling face.
“Well how about we give Charles some time off?”
“Well he does deserve it.” William agreed. I smiled at William’s ease.
“Good we can drop him off at his father’s marriage grounds then when we pass. Oh and I will send Clara a letter.
“Sounds like a plan, my beautiful Lily is hatching. Just what are you planning to do?” Will’s face was now full of suspicion.
“Nothing only that I know Clara is going to have some fun from now on if my plan works out besides I owe her a man.”

I am Royalty but here with in the Marriage Grounds that really doesn't matter to anyone. My brother recently got engaged to my best friend, Lily. I am glad that my matchmaking skills went as I planned. I feel lonely now that she has gone. I can't seem to settle down with anyone. Sure I have a string of suitors but none seem to have grasped my heart quite like Lily had caught William's. I longed to find someone I could hold dear but I knew that I would be searching for a long time.

After Lily left the previous Marriage grounds there was nothing left for me there so I moved to a different one. In this new marriage ground, nobody knew me so I had decided to keep my status hidden and so I took a position of middle rank instead. I wrote to Lily often about my time at the marriage ground and tried not to show that I was unhappy.
It had been three weeks since I moved grounds when I bumped in to a very fine young gentleman.
"I am so terribly sorry, miss. I wasn't looking where I was going." He apologized for knocking my books out of my hands.
"No, it is my fault I was day dreaming." I knelt and swiftly retrieved my books.
"Can I help you with those? You seem to have an awful lot there." He said and took half before I could reply.
“Well… thank you.” I said reluctantly. I began to move off back towards the library. He followed in step just behind me.
“So I haven’t see you here before. You must be new.” He struck up conversation with me.
“Yes I arrived here just a few weeks ago from a different grounds.” I murmured.
“Oh right. I didn’t realize but then again I haven’t been here for a couple of months myself.” He said cheerfully.
“I am quite quiet. I don’t really like to get noticed at times.” I said.
“I will give you some advice. On Saturday be careful of the two gentlemen at the front of the queue.” He said. The tone of his voice changing to a calm and serious and all hint of playfulness was gone.
“Oh really and why is that?” I asked.
“They aren’t the most pleasant of men and they both work their way down the women and well… I leave the rest to your imagination.” He said his smile returning.
“Thank you for the advice. I am Clara by the way.” I said.
“Nice to meet you, Miss Clara. I am Charles.” He said.
“Nice to meet you Sir.” I stretched out my hand awkwardly due to my books. He gave it a quick shake before grasping at the books in his hands that were about to fall again.
“Shall we continue then?” Charles asked. He began a slow pace towards the library. I hurried after him and matched my little steps to his long strides.
“Why did you tell me to be careful of the two men at the ball? I mean I don’t know you that well. Why give me the warning?” I asked.
“Because I didn’t want to see you hurt by them. They are cruel and delight in it. I have know idea why they do the things they do other than for simple pleasure.” Charles gaze seemed to wander off in to the distance.
“You sound like you know them.” I laughed. Charles, on the other hand, didn’t smile.
“I do know them, they are my older brothers. I am the third son of the Duke of Cumbriant and Yorkain. I hate it. My brothers pick on me all the time because they inherit the majority of the inheritance from our father. I get a small amount of money, enough to satisfy me but I don’t like the greed of my brothers. They are….” He cut off and for a good reason. In the Marriage Grounds no one is allowed to say exactly who they are because all social standing is abolished and the classes are mixed.
“I think you went a bit far, sir but I won’t tell anyone though. You have my word on that.” I promised.
“Thank you.” Charles breathed. I stifled my laugh at his relief. The library was looming above us now, casting its cool shadow over the courtyard. We hurried in to return the books we had been carrying. Once we were back out in the sunshine, our conversation continued.
“My brother has just settled down with my best friend. I might say with some perfect match making skills.” I said.
“Lucky him. I doubt I will find anyone for a while. My brothers tend to scare women off.” Charles gave a heavy sigh. I could tell he needed someone.
“I know I meddle too much for my own good. You know this might be sudden but I could find a good match for you if you want. I know a few women here who you might like.” I said.
“I wouldn't mind…. I mean I don’t mind if you try and find some one for me but I assure you that it might be hard for you.” Charles said hurriedly in one breath.
“It is as good as done then.” I said joyfully, glad to have another match making project that would take my mind off the fact that my last one had left me quite lonely.
“Thank you. The gentleman, I am acquainted with, wishes for me to marry or to enjoy myself for a while since I have been travelling for a while with him of late. Actually it was his new fiancée that suggested I come here. I am not sure she likes me.” He laughed.
“I am sure she does like you but I think that it is her way of saying find some happiness for yourself.” I said laughing a long with him.
“It probably is but I don’t know her that well. It might just be that they want to spend some time together.” Charles said as we reached the heart of the marriage grounds.
“Maybe but I don’t think you should judge until you know her better. Anyway I must be going. Will I see you this weekend, sir, if not before?” I asked.
“I am sure we will be seeing each other again, Miss Clara.” Charles gave a slight bow before disappearing in to the crowd. I remained where I was before hurrying off to my cabin. With my cabin door safely shut tightly, I pulled out some paper and began my matchmaking for Charles to inspect. All of them I considered a worthy match for Charles. I had not included myself on the list because I was just the matchmaker nothing more.

On Friday, I received a note from Charles wondering if I would like to meet him. I responded by saying that I would meet him in an hour by the fountain in the main square. I scrambled to gather up my notes to take with me for Charles. I had planned on being early but Charles was already there, waiting for me.
“Miss Clara, pleasure to see you. Shall we?” Charles gestured towards the cool shady park nearby.
“Certainly and I have something for you which is best when sitting down.” I replied. We wandered through the huge wrought iron in to the park. We walked for about five minutes before stopping at a picnic bench under a weeping willow next to the lake. I placed the papers on the table facing Charles.
“What is this?” Charles asked.
“A list of women you might like. I thought we could go through them if you are still interested in it. I mean we don’t have to if you don’t want to.” I said hesitantly and reached out a hand to draw the papers back to me.
“Please show me the list. Thank you for putting it together for me. I am sure it must have taken a long time to put together.” Charles said as I released the papers back to him. I watched as Charles shifted through the papers, sometimes taking a little longer over a few pages that caught his interest. I noticed that he was splitting them in to two piles. I reached for one pile to take a look at it but he quickly pulled it back to him. I sighed and looked across at Charles. He really was very handsome. He had a spark of mischief in his eyes and his unruly sandy hair framed his face perfectly. Any woman would be lucky to get him as a husband. A crack of a twig broke me out of my daydreaming. I noticed a footman approaching holding two letters.
“Miss Clara and Mr Charles, I have letters for both of you. They just arrived and I was told that they were important.” The footman said as he stopped next to the table. He handed us each our letters, bowed and left.
“I wonder who they are from, any ideas?” Charles asked.
“Mine is from Lily, my best friend. I recognize the writing.” I tore open the seal eager to hear news of Lily and William.

Dearest Clara,
William and I are having a wonderful time travelling the country. I wish you were with us but that is not possible. William has a new squire that he picked up while he was trying to find me. I must say he is such a gentleman and only nineteen. Also he is the son of a Duke, a lucky catch for any woman. If I weren’t madly in love with William, I would have him myself. You must meet him when you can for he is absolutely perfect for you. You certainly may take that as though I am matchmaking because I know that you both would be perfect for each other. I just know it, just like you knew that William would be perfect for me.

I had an absolutely glorious time with your parents when William took me to meet them. I was nervous at first but all my nervousness vanished when your Father took me in a huge big hug and told me I was a fool for loving his son. Your Mother was kind enough to take Hannah under her wing and she is now recovering rapidly. I am glad to say that she will be very well by the time it comes for her to go to the marriage grounds. James of course is just dying to go to the Marriage Grounds but he has to wait another month before that happens thank goodness for that, but God help those who are around him right now because he is becoming rather impatient with all the waiting. William sees him as an annoying little brother, which is true in some ways. I am glad that James has another man in his life to help him now that our parents are dead.

Anyway never mind about that. We will be visiting the marriage ground that you are in shortly. We are visiting many marriage grounds across the country so don’t count yourself to be the privileged one. It has been so enjoyable and amazing seeing everyone. It will be great to see you again. I miss you a lot and William misses his little sister.

Your dearest friend and soon-to-be sister

Lily

I refolded the letter and noticed Charles had finished reading hi letter as well.
“Who was your letter from then?” I asked regretting it as soon as I had said it for I had no right to stick my nose in to his private letters.
“It is from the gentleman I mentioned when we first men, do you remember? His fiancée doesn't like me all that much.” Charles answered much to my surprise.
“Yes I remember you were travelling with him.”
“Correct! They are going to come and visit me for a while. I would like to introduce you if that would be possible.” Charles offered.
“Certainly it would be my pleasure. I will introduce you to my brother and Lily. They haven’t mentioned when they are coming though or for how long.” I said uncertainly.
“I would like that. Your brother sounds like quite a character and also very kind to his younger sister.” Charles teased.
“Yes my brother certainly does spoil me rotten at times but then again he is as annoying as any big brother is I am sure.” I said maintaining a straight face with some difficulty. Charles laughed at my comment, which in turn made me laugh at my comment as well.
“So shall we go through these ladies or do you want to do that by yourself?” I asked shyly after all the laughter had gone.
“If you don’t mind I would prefer to go though them personally. I have narrowed down the women to ten. I will have a closer look at them later.” Charles combined the piles again, one on top of the other.
“Did you friend mention when he was visiting?” I asked changing the subject to one less personal.
“No idea but might I ask why you didn’t include yourself among these ladies, Miss Clara?” Charles asked.
“I thought that with me being your matchmaker and everything that it wouldn't be proper for me to include myself.” I said as I blushed at the thought he would consider me.
“I see your point but if you agree to it then might I get to know you better?” Charles asked me.
“Certainly I have no objections to that so long as we keep it strictly business. I have strict rules about mixing pleasure and business.” I said mockingly.
“I understand completely, Miss Clara.” Charles bowed his head slightly but a smile twitched at the corner of his mouth and there was a small glint in his eye.
“Thank you but I believe that I must be going now.” I said as I rose and took my leave. I hurried away but I could feel his eyes burning themselves in to my back as he stared after me.

Saturday came quickly and soon we were all preparing for the ball. Excitement could be felt running through out the grounds for news had spread quickly about the coming of my brother and Lily. Only a few people were said to know the exact time they were to arrive. Everyone expected it to be soon because there had been a rapid improvement of all facilities within the grounds. The ball was wonderful until half way through when something unfortunate happened to me. I had been dancing pleasantly with a young gentleman, a few years older than myself, when I noticed another gentleman wishing to cut in.
“Excuse me might I take this young lady for a turn about the floor?” he asked the gentleman I had been dancing with. I was handed over and the dance continued. I recognized the gentleman that I was now dancing with as one of the men who Charles had claimed to be the brother of.
“Good evening Sir.” I said politely.
“Good evening, I hope it wasn’t rude of me to cut in. I just couldn’t resist your beauty.” He said.
“Not at all. I do not mind your intrusion.” I said hurriedly trying to keep calm.
“I am Benjamin. I believe you are Miss Clara. My brother, Charles, seems to have been talking to you recently.” Benjamin said.
“Oh I had no idea that Charles was your brother.” I stopped dancing and pulled my hands back from him. Luckily we were at the edge of all the dancing so we didn’t block anyone’s path.
“Well then would you care to take a turn in the garden with me? It is most interesting at night especially when I have a beautiful lady at my side.” I hesitated to respond. Was it wise to trust this man after what I had heard from Charles?
“Very well then, that would be lovely. Thank you.” I responded after dispelling all my uncertainty with the reason that I should be allowed to form my own opinion of this gentleman. Benjamin offered me his arm as he escorted me outside. We started near to the Great Hall chatting about this and that but slowly we gradually got deeper in to the garden. I jumped when a rustling of a bush broke the silence that had fallen between us.
“I think we should go back.” I suggested as I glanced nervously over my shoulder back at the Great Hall but I could only see the faint glimmer through the trees. I felt a tug on my arm so I looked back at Benjamin.
“Good night, Miss Clara.” Benjamin’s hand suddenly slipped out of mine and grasped the back of my head. His other hand smothered my nose and mouth with a cloth. I struggled against his firm hold but in vain. The knock out drug, that the cloth was dowsed in, was beginning to take affect. My arms slumped to my sides in defeat. I felt myself slip away from consciousness in to a deep black hole.

When I awoke it felt like I was seeing the world for the first time. My eyesight was out of focus and I needed to rub them to clear the fuzziness away. I noticed that I was in a rather grand library. Books lined each wall and at the far end of the room was a desk. Where I was seated on a sofa, there was another sofa opposite and a fire in the wall between the two. A soft snick alerted me to the entrance of a gentleman.
“Ah, Miss Clara you are awake. I was afraid my brother, Benjamin, might have handled you a bit roughly.”
“I appear to be fine thank you but pray tell me why my abduction was necessary?” I asked.
“Well our little brother Charles had his eye on you and we merely thought you should know everything about him before you take it any further.”
“May I say that Charles and I met only a week ago. I have not got to know him fully but would you to let me form my own opinions of him.”
“I can’t do that sorry. I also can’t let you go once you have heard what I am about to say next.” He turned when the door closed again behind Benjamin.
“John, have you not told her yet?”
“Not yet brother. I was just getting there.”
“What my brother John has failed to tell you, Miss Clara, is that Charles killed his wife on their wedding night a year ago.” Benjamin informed me.
“I don’t believe that is true if it was then I would prefer to hear it from Charles himself for me to believe that story. Now if you would please return me to the marriage grounds I would be most grateful.” I replied curtly.
“I am afraid we can’t do that. We don’t want this getting out to the general public. It would cause problems for the family. Once that starts there will be questions asked and it wont be long before the Royal family finds out about my brother’s disgrace. So you see our problem if we let you go.” John explained.
“I understand but you can skip the part about the public finding out before the Royal family. You decided to go straight to the Royal family.” I said simply.
“I am afraid Miss Clara that I don’t understand your meaning.” John said.
“Merely what I mean is that you just told a member of the Royal family about Charles and I would suggest letting me go before I am missed or you will have a bigger problem on your hands than Charles’ problem.” I stood and both brothers shrank away from me. Before I could begin moving towards the door loud shouting proceeded from the other side. Soon the door was thrown open by one very angry looking Charles followed by a flustered servant.
“Clara! Thank goodness you are safe.” I was engulfed by Charles’ hug before he had finished speaking. I noticed Benjamin's mouth open in protest but with a sharp look closed again.
“I am fine, Charles. Do not worry.” I soothed him as he withdrew from the tight embrace. He turned to face his brother’s but maintained his hand in mine. I felt honoured that he had come in search of me but I wondered how many other women he had rescued before me from his brothers.
“I thought I told you both to leave the women alone and not abduct them. Why is it always women that have taken a fancy to me or rather I have taken a fancy to?”
“Come now Charles it was all a little bit off fun but this time you had your eye on a real golden egg and so we decided it wasn’t nice to not share with your brothers.” Benjamin said trying to make light of the situation.
“Only this time you both bit off more than you could chew.” I added.
“Yes that is true and I believe we have learnt our lesson. I was afraid it might end like this.” John said. An awkward silence fell between everyone in the room.
“I think we should be going now Charles.” I said quietly.
“Not until my brothers promise never to do anything like this again.” Charles said in calm anger.
“Brother we went too far and we promise not to do anything like this again, don’t we Benjamin?” John said.
“Indeed we do. As John said earlier we have learnt our lesson. We will never disgrace you or our father again.” Benjamin said. John moved towards the door and bowed slightly before leaving. Benjamin followed suit. Being left alone with Charles just made the situation slightly less awkward than before.
“What did they tell you Clara? What did they say about me?” Charles asked quietly.
“Nothing true.” I said quickly. I turned away from hi shyly hiding the truth.
“Please Clara.” Charles turned me back to face him again.
“They said that you killed your wife on your wedding night. It was only a year ago well from what they said.” I tried to blink away the tears but I still felt one slide slowly down my cheek. Charles’ thumb gently brushed it away as his hand cupped my face.
“You are right it isn’t true at all. My brothers hold a grudge against me for being father’s favorite son. They have stolen away many women who I have given my heart to but each time they end up breaking their hearts. I am glad you don’t believe them. I despise what they do.” Charles explained.
“I know you so I could not believe those lies.” I smiled reassuring him.
“I am glad. I would like to get to know you better as well. Would it be possible to get to know you better outside the marriage grounds? You have turned my world upside down in just a short time. Now I can’t think of my life with out you, would you do the honour of marrying me?” Charles asked. I couldn’t believe that the perfect gentleman was asking me to marry him.
“Charles …”
“You don’t have to answer me now if you don’t know but please consider it.” I could see that a simple yes would not suffice in this situation. There was only one reply possible. I leaned in and gave him a quick kiss before looping my arms round his neck.
“You can take that as a definite yes.” I said smiling at his confused face. He gave me a dazzling smile before returning my kiss.
“Much as I would love to stay here kissing you all day but we had better be getting back to the marriage grounds.” Charles said.
“Yes we must get back after all I need to consult my brother on my choice of husband.” I laughed knowing that my brother would not mind.”
“I had also better ask the man who I am in service of. He must be consulted, I dare not go against him.” Charles shuddered next to me as he led me out of the house. There was a two-seated carriage outside waiting for us. Charles helped me up before mounting on the driver’s side.
“ So this gentleman you talk so highly of, who is he?” I asked.
“Well about two months ago the prince came riding up and asked if I wanted to serve him. I leapt at the chance to get away from my family that I agreed. He was the one who wrote to me saying he was visiting the marriage grounds.” Charles explained. “Then his fiancée said that I should come here for a bit well to the marriage grounds. I didn’t want to go against her so I agreed.” I bit my lip from saying anything that I shouldn’t. Then Charles looked at me searching for a reply.
“Umm…well that is a shock but I am sure the prince will not mind who you marry in the slightest.” I replied. We managed to re-enter the marriage grounds with out raising too much attention.

Almost as soon as I reached my cabin one of my friends came rushing in.
“Clara, where have you been? You missed some very exciting news!” Jane cried.
“What have I missed for I won’t know until you have told me.” I replied heavily.
“Their Highnesses are arriving here tomorrow night and there is to be another ball for the occasion.” Jane said excitedly.
“Wow, I didn’t expect them to arrive so soon.” I said echoing Jane’s surprise and excitement as best as I could.
“You really don’t seem surprised at all, Clara. You are not fooling me. Well since you are so uninterested I will leave you by yourself so you can be just down right depressing by yourself.” Jane stormed out of my cabin. To be honest I was glad that she had left me alone. I needed to think about how I would break the news to Charles about my actual status. By the time I went to bed, I had decided to take it as it came the next night and see how William and Lily acted. I had no way of knowing whether William and Lily would hide the fact I was the princess or if they would ruin everything I had with Charles when they arrived by introducing themselves to me and Charles. Only time would tell.

Monday came and lessons had been put off because no one could concentrate with the up coming arrival. Charles requested to see me so I agreed to meet him in the park again.
“Clara, thank you for coming. I really needed to talk to you about tonight.” Charles said after we had greeted each other.
“Really, what aspects of tonight?”
“Well we won’t present ourselves to Their Highness unless they beckon us over or request to see us. At that point we will bring up our engagement.” Charles said decisively.
“Very well I will agree to those terms but won’t that seem rude because you already know them so surely it would be expected of you to greet them.” I queried.
“I understand what you mean but I don’t think it right due to the fact that I serve the prince isn’t common knowledge.”
“I understand then that is fine with me.” I said.
“I also brought you something.” Charles pulled out a large black box from inside his jacket. He opened it and inside lay a matching set of earrings and necklace but a diamond ring had been added. It was nothing flash but just right for me. It looked well worn and it looked at though it may have been fixed a few times but that showed it had history behind it.
“It was my mother’s ring.” Charles said as he closed the box again.
“Oh wasn’t your brother meant to get it?” I smiled at him.
“He was but he gave it to me as an apology for what had happened.” Charles said.
“Well I love it. I really don’t like big rings.” I smiled at him.
“I am glad you like it. I believe that we should part for the ball tonight starts earlier than usual, my love and I know ladies love to look their best which always takes time. I also believe that you are no exception to this.” Charles said cheekily. I swatted him on the arm before dancing away from is embracing arms.
“Only too true darling so I must be off.” I ran away before hearing his reply.

Evening came and I wore Charles’ gifts proudly as I entered the Great Hall. After the selecting had been done, the arrival of the Prince and his fiancée was announced. William entered with Lily on his arm and both were looking very grand indeed. I was glad that neither Lily nor William paid me the slightest bit of attention to Charles and me other than a quick glance from Lily. Dancing started soon after Lily and William arrived, Charles faithfully asked me to dance with him until I decided that I needed a break. I relaxed a short distance away from where Lily was gossiping to a few ladies. Jane was among them until she noticed I was sitting by myself
“I must say that Prince William’s fiancée is not at all like I imagined her to be.” Jane said.
“I am sure she is since she isn’t all stuck up like some people.” I said sourly. I happened to shift my hand in such a way that the light glanced off the diamond in my ring. The action caught Jane’s attention.
“Clara! What is that ring? Is that an engagement ring?” Jane cried drawing a lot of attention to me.
“Yes it is, Charles proposed to me on Sunday but only gave me the ring today because his mother’s ring.” I blushed from the tips of my toes as a flock of women all started talking around me at once. A footman was bravely pushing his way through the ladies towards me with what appeared to be a note.
“Miss Clara, I was asked to give this to you.” The footman hurriedly pressed the note in to my hand before being pushed back again by the women around me. I glanced at the note before looking after the retreating footman. I inspected the note, which was merely a piece of paper folded in half. Upon opening it, I read:

My debt of one man has been repaid,
Even though to start it needed some aid.
My matchmaking has been a success
And did not end in a frightful mess.
Your dearest sister
Lily.

I read it again to make sure it said what I thought it had said before standing up, silencing those around me at my sudden out burst.
“Lily!” I roared as I marched over to her.
“Clara, how nice to see you.” Lily greeted me as though nothing was wrong. I noticed Charles hurrying over and William move in behind Lily.
“What is it Clara?” William asked.
“What is the meaning of this Lily?” I asked holding out the note. By now Charles had arrived and was standing behind me.
“Clara dearest, please, stop this.” He said as he tried to pull me away.
“Charles, good to see you and congratulations on your engagement.” William said.
“Thank you, Your Highness. Please excuse Clara.” Charles said. Lily stifled a laugh and William looked confused.
“Well Lily, do you care to explain or would William here care to enlighten me on the matter?” I asked.
“It is exactly as the note says. You helped William and me get together and I hate being left indebted to someone. You gave me a man so I merely repaid the favour by sending Charles in your direction.” Lily said calmly. Charles at this point was looking terribly confused at what was unfolding before him.
“Charles, it looks like Clara hasn’t told you yet.” William guessed.
“No, I haven't’ because it never felt like the right time.” I replied to William’s curiousity.
“Told me what, sir? May I ask how you know Clara? You seem to know her quiet well.” Charles asked.
“Well Clara? Are you going to tell him or shall I?” William teased.
“Oh shut up William would you.” I said. For the first time I noticed the silence that had fallen on the Hall. Everyone was focused on our conversation.
“Well are you going to tell me or not?” Charles asked impatiently.
“Come on little sister, what are you waiting for?” William goaded. I swivelled to face William directly but stopped as I realised what he had just said. I turned instead to face Charles, who stood silent behind me.
“Charles?” I said uncertainly. His face was a perfect puzzle, you could see all the pieces slotting in to place.
“William is your brother which makes you the princess.” Charles said slowly.
“I don’t hate you Charles. When I suggested you came here to the marriage grounds it was because Clara was here.” Lily said from behind me. That didn’t seem to help him at all. He looked like a rabbit caught in a sudden beam of light. William, on the other hand, decided that the show was over and waved the band to play again. People took this as a queue to leave us alone in private.
“Charles, don’t worry about it at all. It was all my Lily’s matchmaking that caused this situation. If you are able to handle my sister at her worst then you more than deserve her at her best.” William said before leading Lily on to the dance floor. I watched them leave uncertain of what was going to happen next.
“Charles? I am sorry I didn’t tell you earlier about myself but you see…” My voice trailed off as I noticed the anger on Charles’ face. He didn’t try to mask it in any way at all. Charles merely remained silent, which was killing me inside. After a few minutes he turned to watch the waltzing going on behind him. He stared silently at the swirling masses, his eyes focusing on William and Lily before flicking to find his brothers. His gaze returned to me and met my eyes. I held his unwavering gaze for as long as I could but eventually I tore my eyes away from his. My eyes reflected the deepest feelings of my heart and all my guilt and love could be see by Charles. I was too ashamed to speak.
“Your Highness, I must bid you a goodnight and excuse myself because my merry making for tonight has come to an end.” Charles said bowing before departing. He made a beeline, through the dancing for the door. I watched him go. I could not stop him leaving after all the anger I had seen in his face there was no hope of rectifying it in any way. William tried to stop Charles from leaving but he failed, only delaying his sorrowful departure by a few minutes. I made no motion to follow him, as I knew that it would only take time for his heart and mine to heal from the blows we had dealt each other. I spotted Lily approaching me but instead of waiting for her arrival, I ran from the room. I could not face anybody at that time. My heart felt like it had been ripped from my chest and my head was riddled with questions and grief. I noticed Lily watching me go but not giving chase. I was glad that she didn’t because I needed time because only time would heal my broken heart.

My cabin was cold when I entered it. The fire had burnt out while I had been at the ball and also due to my stupidity of not putting more logs on the fire before I had left. I sank to my knees in front of the cold embers. I tried to coax it back to life but the best I could do was a small flickering flame in the midst of the big logs surrounding it. As I watched the flame flicker helplessly, I felt a tear streak softly down my cheek. My grief slowly leaked out of me as tears slid down my face. I don’t remember what happened after that. I must have cried myself to sleep since I woke up to the empty fireplace. I still wore my ball gown but I didn’t bother to change into anything else. I couldn’t be bothered with anything that day. I locked the door before collapsing on to my bed. I woke again later on to Lily pounding on my door.
“Clara! Open up! Come on, please. At least talk to me.” Lily begged. I didn’t move an inch towards the door. I didn’t want to face anyone.
“Clara, please. Charles wouldn’t want you to be like this.” William’s voice said through the door. Anger took control of me.
“What would you know of what Charles would want? You don’t know that! He hates me now that is all thanks to Lily and you! You ruined everything! At least when I match make it always works out!” I shouted at the door. I was furious at both of them. They had ruined my happiness with a man. I blamed them directly for what had happened. Why did I have to be a princess in the first place? Could I not have been born a farm girl? Everything was just going wrong for me.
“Clarence, you will open this door right now!” William said firmly. I still didn’t move from my bed.
“Why should I open the door? Charles is gone what else can go wrong in my life?” I asked as I began crying hard.
“Clara? I am sorry for what I did I thought you would have told him before you got engaged. Charles had left to go back to his father’s home. We think he left last night after he left the ball because when William went to his cabin he was gone. Please Clara, don’t lock yourself away. Come out soon please.” Lily begged. I could hear harsh whispers exchanged between Lily and William but it soon stopped and retreating footsteps could be heard. I was left to myself, which is what I needed.

After Lily and William left I lay on my bed thinking over everything that had happened in the last few days. I was now engaged to a man who hated me which was not the best situation to start a married life. Since I was engaged, of a sort, I could legally leave the marriage grounds. By the time I had fallen asleep for the second night since Charles had stormed out, I had arranged to leave the marriage grounds the next morning. I would return to the palace so that I could comfort my broken heart in peace.

Time seemed to pass slowly back in the palace, a week seemed like a month and a month seemed like a very long dragged out year. It was all spent in agony as my heart slowly healed. I still wore the ring Charles had given me it was the only excuse I could think to draw him back to me for the last time. I moped around the palace doing nothing for I found nothing entertaining. My usual haunts abandoned and I would sit in a window seat that gave me a view of the entrance and driveway. I would sit there all day staring at the empty drive. I barely touched the food that was placed before me each day. I grew weaker and paler. Lily returned with William from their tour. She tried to persuade me to eat more and socialise more but failed. I grew too weak to leave my bed and William began to worry about me. Lily nursed me but I didn’t improve at all. Each day I never failed to ask after Charles and whether there was any news. None came and I sank further than I thought possible. Soon after a month had passed since I had last seen Charles, William appeared with a doctor. He examined me closely and asked a few questions.
“Doctor, do you think you can help her in anyway?” William asked.
“Your Highness, there is only one cure for a broken heart and there is nothing I can do to help her.” The doctor said sincerely.
“Thank you anyway, Doctor.” William said with out looking away from my feeble frame.
“Your Highness, I may suggest you act quickly. She is getting worse by the day.” With that the Doctor left. William glanced towards the departing doctor before looking back at me. He also left soon after with a reassuring pat on my hand before he left.

After that day William didn’t visit me again. Lily tended to me daily and stayed with me. When she was not sitting next to me, she sat in my window, which over looked the stable. She would sit with a book open on her lap but barely reading it as she sat there. I noticed that she only started doing this after William had visited me for the last time. Was she waiting for his return? It must be nice to have someone worth waiting for everyday, eagerly looking out of the window. I knew that the only one I would wait for would never come for me. I hated the feeling of complete abandonment. I longed for him but he never came. I wandered where William had disappeared to? I thought that it was because he couldn’t bare to see his sister slowly fading away. It was on such a day that I was thinking about William that Lily suddenly brightened up from her slumped position in the window. William was back.
“I will be right back Clara.” Lilly hastily said before rushing out of the room. As I expected Lily didn’t return straight away. In fact she didn’t return at all for the remainder of that day. I drifted off to sleep with out seeing anyone else that day.

Something lightly crossed my cheek and I could hear a soft and gentle voice. A warm body was pressed up against my back; I snuggled back up against it. Another caress crossed my cheek and I heard someone familiar calling my name.
“Clara, please Clara mine open your pretty eyes for me.” Warm gentle and loving. Slowly I opened my eyes, blinking to focus my sleepy eyes. The voice coaxed me on. “That’s right Clara mine. I am so sorry for leaving you. I shouldn’t have left you. I just needed time and I should have just accepted you straight away.” I turned towards the source of the voice. The sandy hair, the big grin and mischievous eyes brought happiness rushing through me. I tried to hug him but my body was too weak to move. The best I could do was to extend a feeble hand towards him.
“Charles…” I said weakly barely more than a whisper.
“Shhh… rest now and recover your strength. You need to build up your strength for your brother’s wedding and then ours.” Charles said as he laid my hand gently down on my heart. I could feel his body shifting next to me and his gaze wandering.
“Please Charles…” I said. He turned to look down at me again. He must have seen the worry and pain written plainly on my face.
“Don’t worry Clara mine. I am not going anywhere until you are better. I promise even when you are better I won’t go anywhere. After all we are still engaged.” He smiled. His comfortable weight on the bed next to me and his promise was enough to send me in to a well needed deep sleep. I knew that he would be there next to me for a long time to come. That comfort and warmth when feeling down. That dependable friend you always need. The light was now shining in the dark, a hand reaching out to help and a shoulder to lean on that would always be there from now on. My Charles. Clara’s Charles.

Ashira SILVER said...
on May. 29 2013 at 11:05 am

Thanks very much. I hope to put out Clara's story soon so watch out for that when it comes along :)

Cocoangel said...
on May. 29 2013 at 9:36 am
Cocoangel, Watford, Other

'The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met'

This is really good, well done!!!

Ashira SILVER said...

Thanks I appriciate it

dancer53785 said...
dancer53785, Grants Pass, Oregon
nice!!! :)