Home > Novel (Fiction) > Romance > Safe. > Chapter 1

Safe.

Author's note: THIS BOOK IS NOT FINISHED. The characters and events in this book are inspired by people and events in my life.
Author's note: THIS BOOK IS NOT FINISHED. The characters and events in this book are inspired by people and events in my life.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Chapter One

Summer is my favorite season for a number of reasons. I love swimming, late nights, baseball games, tanning, and sleeping in as late as I want (which usually isn't that late). However, summer also has one downside: too much free time. During the school year I’m busy with homework, show choir, sports, etc., but during the summer I have nothing to do. And so began the constant nagging from my parents (especially my dad) to get a job. My brother and sister have both worked at a local grocery store called Hugo’s, so it’s sort of like the family business. My parents made it a habit to ask me every evening at the dinner table, “Did you apply at Hugo’s yet?” and I would always follow up with some lame excuse as to why I hadn't until, eventually, I ran out of ideas and just said, “No.”
Even in the summer, my family regularly attends church. I guess you could say my parents force us kids to go, but it has become such a regular thing that it’s just part of our Sunday routine. I reluctantly pulled myself out of bed, washed my face, did my hair and makeup, and went into the living room to sit on the couch and watch TV until it was time to leave.
There was hardly anyone at church that day, which was typical for the summertime. I was glad that I wore my hair in a tight French braid because it was unusually humid for June.
"You should fill out an online application for Hugo's today," my mom whispered to me during the service. I glanced over at her and sighed.
"Fine. I will after lunch," I replied reluctantly.
After the service was over, my parents hung around and chatted with a few friends, and then we headed home. Lunch consisted of burgers and macaroni and cheese, one of my favorite meals. I finished my burger, wiped my fingers with a napkin, and went downstairs to watch TV.
Thankfully, my mom had forgotten about the application and didn't remember until late in the evening when we were all gathered in the living room watching our favorite show.
"Oh Kara, did you send in your application for Hugo's this afternoon?" she asked. I was silent, pretending to be interested in an insurance commercial. She wasn't buying it.
"Kara?" she said, encouraging my reply.
"No," I replied.
"We'll why don't you do it now." It was more of a statement than a question or request.
"Okay, okay," I said as I stood up, grabbed my mom's laptop from the fireplace, and returned to the couch. I went to the store's website and clicked on the section called "Careers." After taking a long survey with boring questions such as, "On a scale of one to five, how well do you work with others?" I filled out the application and, after reviewing it one last time, reluctantly clicked the submit button.
"There, I applied," I said.
"Took you long enough!" my dad hollered jokingly from his spot on the couch. I gave him a sarcastically angry glance and we went back to watching the last ten minutes of the show.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »