Walk of a Human-Vampire

Author's note: This is just an idea I had
Author's note: This is just an idea I had  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Budding Romance

I woke up with a sharp pain in my side. A burning sensation filled my body, consuming my mind, my body, and all the way down to my toes. The full moon, overhead, lay its light down on my skin with an ivory glow. I laced my fingers in the soft sheets, griping and tearing at the fabric. I had felt this pain before, and have felt it every night there has been a full moon. I was told it was a sign of the start of my cycle when I use to go to the doctor, but I always thought it had been something else. It always came in my sleep, and this incident was no different. I knew that the stirring upstairs had to be Gregory. He always seemed to know when my mind or body became stressed.
I wondered how he always knew, but thought that it must be a vampire thing. Sweat beaded on my forehead as I gasped for air. I reached for the blankets, and pulled them to my chin. Ugh. This is going to be a long night. I had been at the house for about two weeks, from what I had been told. Now, as I lay in that bed, I cried for the first time in a long time. I didn’t even want them to come, but it felt peaceful, comforting, to let the tears roll down my face. Pulling my pillow to my cramping stomach I curled up on my side, facing the window.
I heard a quick rasp at the door. He always knocked this way, poking his head through the door, but it did not matter then or now. A sudden burst of pain on my left side caused me to suck in a deep breath. The burning sensation spread to my stomach, but there was no way of getting rid of it. Crying was not going to help. “Please… I’m fine.” I mumbled as the pain moved lower and lower. “Please…”
He did not make a sound as he came to my side, and I had not yet noticed him until I felt the feathery touch on my shoulder. “What do you need?”
I said nothing as another shudder and a sob escaped from my lips. I had no idea where it came from or why, but I let the crying continue as the night dragged on. Gregory knelt on the floor while I cried and rubbed my shoulder and arm with the lightest touch. “Please…” “Please what?” He asked. I scooted over on the bed and patted next to me. He stood up and gently sat next to me. I rolled onto my back, clutching my pillow to my painful sides. I let it fall and took his hand. I rolled back to facing the window, pulling him with me and hugging his arm to me. His scents, that clean powerful smell, were powerful and comforting.
“The first night is always the worst.” I whispered. “I just need some sleep ‘cause nothing really helps.”
“I might be able to help.” He moved closer and pulled me to him. I was under the blankets, shivering from the fever, while he lay on the blankets holding me close. My heart raced at this moment. Being so close to him made me think of the first time I saw him, sitting on my bed, staring at me. Heat rose to my cheeks and flushed my face, causing me to wiggle a little. I now felt hot under all of the blankets, but I did not want to shake them off.
His hot breath sent chills down my spine. “What are you…?” I was about to say doing, but the words never left my mind, for his lips barely brushed the bare skin on my shoulder. The sensation was the most wonderful feeling I have ever felt in my short life. My pleasure was quickly ended with another explosion of pain in my stomach. The pain caught me off guard. Blinking back tears I leaned into Gregory’s next kiss. This kiss was slightly harder against my skin, more desperate, more intense. “Why?”
“Do you always ask so many questions?” He murmurs, like a purr in my ear. “Hush. Just relax and sleep.” Like a spell, I fell quickly asleep. My eyes drooped and my aches faded as I tumbled, once again, into a deep sleep.

My days began with a routine. Every morning I wake up and lounge around for about an hour, waiting for the sun to come up. I sit and watch the sun rise through the trees while I sketch and draw what unfolds in front of my eyes. Billowing or wispy clouds, trees swaying in the breeze, birds flying off into the distance, and so much more is captured every morning in my journals. Generally I use different kinds of pencils, but lately I have changed my medium to charcoal, my old favorite from college. Gregory encouraged me to find a hobby of some sort, to keep me busy, but drawing was more than that for me. Drawing was what kept me sane during the days. I was not confined to my room now, as I once had, but I was stuck inside and limited to only the library downstairs, the kitchen in the back of the mansion, and the dining area. Sometimes I would sneak around and try to find my way around, but there really was security in the form of other vampires who came and went. This place was a home for many, and getting caught up in any kind of situation could get my guest status severely marked down.
During the day I would help James with any cooking that needed to be done, learning all about how vampires must eat real food along with drinking blood to survive. It really was all very interesting, but most of the time we did not speak other than him scolding me for making a mistake. I had been able to cook some, before all hell broke loose, but my skills where nothing compared to James’s. He was kind when he did speak, that icy tone would melt away. He had been a chief once, at some high end brasserie in New York City, but here he was, stuck in this place. He believed that it was somewhere in the Midwest, but I really had no idea yet. One month really is not long enough to judge seasons. Sometimes James would become father like in my eyes, teaching me, caring about my well being, and loving my company. Sure, that did not make us family, but he was my mentor, my friend.