The Perils of a High School Super Human

By , Battle Creek, MI
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Next »

Cameron

Chapter 4: Cameron
School life is hard. Especially when you are constantly moving. I have moved four different times in my life and I have moved to three different schools. This year I have to start another new school. Its even harder when you have to go in the middle of high school. I'm a smart jock which means it isn't hard to make friends. I get into every sport I try out for and this year I’m already in football and basketball tryouts were three days ago and I find out if I made it today. If I don't make it my father will be furious. I have friends but I am never allowed to get out of the house unless for school or sports. So most people don't like to ask me to come over or to have them come over to my house.
My struggles in school would have to be fitting in. I know that I am a sports guy, and I'm smart but I still have troubles. I never know what to talk about to people without telling them I’m a ninja which we all know that would be horrible. I can never tell someone that I am a ninja, and if it ever did get out we would be in DEEP trouble. I hate knowing that I can never tell someone.
Today is the day. At lunch I will go into the office and find out if I made the basketball team. I’m going to be furious if I don't get in. I’m a great basketball and I know I am. Here I go. Into the office. There is the list. I look down the A team side: Samuel Evans, Dalyan Hawking, John Grape, Cody Horn, Nathan Dugger, John Adams, Steven William, James Color, Jared Jones, Harry James, Lucas Fair, Caleb Scott, Kevin Long, Elijah Zale, and Blake Chance. Well that’s unusual. So I look at the B team side: Ezra Felix, Gabriel Hal, Ian Jacob, Justin Keith,Kyle Lawrence, Luther Mason, Michael Newman, Noah Omar, Owen Parker, Preston Quincy, Richard Riley , Samuel Tucker, Spencer Troy, Tyler Val, Wyatt Yuri. WHAT?!?! I didn’t make it!! I look over the lists four more times and still don't see my name. I don't understand this! I have worked so hard and been on every other basketball team at every other school I went to! This is stupid! I go to the secretary and ask her if this is the only list. I asked her if there were any other teams besides a and b and she said “No. Why don't you just call the coach. I don't know anything.”
OK. Yeah I’ll just call him because I have that much time on my hands. Shouldn’t you know about this. No I know why you don't because you are stupid.
That’s what I wish I could say. But I know I can't so I just say “Thanks. What is coach’s phone number?” The phone rings right as I say that and I was shooed away.
After a long day of school I have to go home. I know that my father will be pissed that I didn't make the basketball team. I thought about not telling him and just staying after school and tell him that I was at practice. I think about the horrid part. Games. My father loves to go to them and watch me. Also my grandma likes to see me at my games. She is probably the loudest. I decide not to tell him. For the best.