The Player | Teen Ink

The Player

By Jasmine_Says, Franklin, Wisconsin
Jasmine_Says, Franklin, Wisconsin

If you never chase your dreams, you'll never reach it.

It only took two days for the whole student body to know his name and what he was famous for. I knew he was a bad idea from the moment he walked through that door on his first day. Adrian Jones, the bad boy, the player, the perfect way to screw up everything I worked so hard to achieve.

He opened the door and walked in, his deep brown eyes, scanning the class like we were all new toys. His amusement annoyed me. His eyes caught mine, and for moment and a smirk crossed his lips. I rolled my eyes. Ugh. I knew guys like him. Boys that were good-looking and knew it. The type of guy that used their looks to their advantage, and the type that depended solely on his looks. I rolled my eyes and finished jotting down the last of the AP psych notes.

“Hello,” Mr. Barts said in his monotone voice. He turned to face the new kid and slid his glasses off his nose. “Can I help you?”

“Actually, yes.” The new kid said back, standing in the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest. I couldn’t help but look back in his direction. As much as I hate to admit it, his voice was deep and husky and...sexy. Incredibly sexy.
He took a step through the doorway and entered the room, scanning the room again in satisfaction. I stared at him as he made his way to the front of the room and stood in front of us. He handed Mr. Barts a slip of paper and readjusted his backpack on his shoulders. I was watching him a little more than I like to admit.
Mr. Barts looked over the small, white slip and nodded to himself. “Class, we have a new student. Please introduce yourself.” He said to to him, as he scribbled something down on the paper.

“Hi,” The new kid said smiling. “I’m Adrian Jones.”

“Welcome to AP psych Mr. Jones. Pick your seat wisely because it will be permanent.” Mr. Barts said handing Adrian back the slip of paper. I stared at the empty desk in front of me and started to panic. I looked back up at him and shook my head. No, God, please no. He was making his way over to me. I looked to Miranda for a source of help but she smiled widely and leaned forward towards him as he sat down across from me.

“Hey.” He said looking at me. I raised my eyebrows at him and leaned back in my seat. I crossed my arms over my chest and looked at the paper full of notes lying on my desk pretending not to hear him. I could tell Miranda gave me the look. She stepped on my foot and leaned in.

“Hi, I’m Miranda.” She said, flipping her long black hair over her shoulder. She was pretty. Her perfectly tanned skin and her long lashes were enough to make any guy fall head over heels. “Adrian.” She said more to herself looking up for a slight second as if thinking about it, then looked back to him. “Such a sexy name. I like it.” She said bluntly. He smiled slyly and leaned against his elbows scooting closer to her.

“Anything else you like about me?” He asked and she blushed as she quickly moved her eyes away from his body. He laughed and I couldn’t help but smirk at him. This kid. Who does he think he is? He looked at me again and leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest like he was observing me. “I’m Adrian.” He said to me smiling. I stared at him with an annoyed expression.

“Duh.” I said looking back down at my notes and started doodling a rose. “I’m not deaf. I heard it the first time you introduced yourself.” His smile turned into a smirk and he leaned in towards me.

“So what’s your name?”

“Elaine.” I kept my eyes focused on the doodle and leaned my head on my hand. I could feel his eyes on me and stole a glance up. “What?” I asked. He shook his head.

“Nothing, I like your name.” He said shrugging. I wasn’t expecting that. I felt myself blush and quickly looked away from his eyes. I found a fringe in the spiral of my notebook and played with it as if it were the most interesting thing in the class.

“Uh, thanks...” I mumbled.

“Ms. Myers, do you have something to share with the class?” Mr. Barts asked pulling down his glasses again to look at me. I swear this man was out to get me. I looked at Adrian and then to Mr. Barts.

“N-no.” I stuttered. “I...”

“It was my fault. She was filling me in on the notes. Sorry Mr. B.” Adrian interrupted. The
whole class turned to look at him and Miranda smiled as I stared at him. Mr. Barts raised his eyebrows in suspicion, but turned around to face the board and continue his lecture.

“Thanks.” I breathed. He shrugged and Miranda laughed. “I swear he’s out to get me!” I whispered to Miranda laughing.
Class went by a little slower than usual, and I was on the verge of falling asleep. I let my eyelids slowly drop and doze off for a little while.

“So, there’s your project.” Mr. Bart's monotone voice boomed through the class making me jump out of my seat. “Ms. Myers, since you were so kind to fill Mr. Jones in earlier today, I’m sure you wouldn’t mind pairing up with him.” Mr. Barts said walking behind my desk. I lifted my head to say no, but I couldn’t get his words to process yet. I was still tired from mom and dad’s lecture yesterday about getting into a good college.

“For the rest of you,” Mr. Barts continued. “Your partners are right across from you. Remember this is due two weeks from today. I will not accept anything after then. You may get started.” I lifted my head to look at Adrian and slowly let the words process in my mind. I shot up and looked around. My partner was the guy sitting across from me. He wasn’t going to do s***! I knew guys like him! One right doesn’t make up for a hundred wrongs. So what if he saved my ass from the wrath of Mr. Barts. He was still a self absorbed teenage boy. Just like the rest of the male population in this school.

I watched him as he got up and walked over to the laptops. I numbly followed behind him. I breathed in preparing myself for what was to follow two weeks after today. A lot of work, and no sleep. Once again. I stared at the ground thinking over how I was going to fit in this project with my volunteer days, work and club practice. I crossed my arms started biting my thumb nail.

“Here.” Adrian said snapping my attention back. My thumb was on my lips and I looked up to face him. He looked at my lips for a moment but then quickly back up at my eyes. I raised my eyebrow at him but he acted as if it were nothing. Maybe it wasn’t anything at all, and I was over analyzing it. He held out a laptop to me, waiting for me to grab it.

“Oh, sorry.” I said dumbly grabbing the laptop from him and walking back to the desks. I logged in and waited for Adrian to sit down. I glanced around to the room to see everyone already getting started on their projects and here I was still staring at my screen trying to figure out what to do next.

"You do know what you’re doing right?” He asked me. I felt myself turn red and shook my head. “Because I hope you know, I plan on skipping this class.” He said and I couldn’t tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

“That’s hardly my problem.” I said but then quickly realized how wrong that statement was.

“The way I see it, it is. You seem like the kind of goody good girl who always gets good grades. If you don’t do anything, the project won’t get done. And if it doesn’t get done, I could care less about my grades.” He said laughing and crossed his arms over his chest in satisfaction. A look of disgust crossed my face and I didn’t care to hide it.

“Fine.” I mumbled under my breath. It seemed to catch him off guard, because his expression changed a little. I smoothed a hand over my necklace and took a deep breath. I could feel his eyes on me, but I didn’t care. There had to be some way for me to finish this by the due date. I pulled out my phone without thinking and searched my calendar for the next two weeks.

Soccer practice every day until 4, work Monday through Thursday from 6 to 10:30 P.M. The animal shelter Friday and Sunday from 5 to 8. This was never going to work. I’d just have to take my laptop with me to the shelter and work on it during my breaks. I looked through the month and finally smiled. My grandma was coming over on the 24th. I touched my necklace again and sighed. At least it wouldn’t be too bad as soon as she got here.

I felt someone watching me over my shoulder and looked up to find a very annoyed Mr. Barts. He took my phone and called me out in front of the class, and in my opinion making the whole situation bigger than it really was.

“You’ll get this after school Elaine.” He said and took it back to his desk. I looked at Miranda and she flashed me a sympathetic look but quickly got back to work. I heard Adrian chuckle and flipped him off. I was quiet the rest of class, letting my head sink into my hands. The bell rang finally letting us all out. I grabbed my things and ran out of the room before Mr. Barts could ask me to organize the laptops.
I made my way to my last class not stopping to say hi to old friends. I got to class and sat down taking a deep breath. Choir was my favorite class, right next to art. I sat by the piano in the far corner of the room and started playing knowing that Mrs. Grange wouldn’t mind. Unlike Mr. Barts, I was Mrs. Grange’s favorite student, and she was my favorite teacher.

“Hey Mrs. Grange!” I called. She was in her office setting up for this hour. She smiled and waved back shuffling through a pile of music folders. I lifted the cover off the piano and slid my fingers over the smooth white and black keys. I closed my eyes and began to play random notes, stringing them together into a song. I stopped short and got up to grab my song book from my seat. I opened it up to a recent song I wrote a few days ago. I continued to play and took it from the top adding my lyrics into the music. I closed my eyes feeling everything inside me open up and be set free. I memorized the lyrics and wrote down the keys underneath in the blank spaces.
The rest of the class filled in and Mrs. Grange asked me to play what I just did to the class. “Elaine, can you teach us that?” She asked with a hopeful expression. She knew I didn’t like sharing what I write with everyone. The lyrics were like my diary. They were personal, every song I’d ever come up with was personal. But I couldn’t say no to her. I swallowed and nodded. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine an empty room as everyone gathered around me trying to learn the new lyrics and notes. As I started playing, everything just seemed to fade away.
I started singing and soon, the altos joined in, harmonizing perfectly with me even though they were just humming the tune. I smiled and continued to play. When the song finished, Mrs. Grange cheered loudly and the class clapped. I smiled feeling my face heat up. My heart filled with a heavy joy but I couldn’t let it last too long.
“That was wonderful! Absolutely splendid Elaine! You have such a talent! It’s such a shame that your-”

“Mrs. Grange!” I shouted before she could finish. She stopped and looked at me. Suddenly, she realized that she’d almost spilled my secret. The whole class stared at us and Mrs. Grange quickly recovered.

“Oh, Elaine! It’d be perfect for our fall music festival! Would you be willing to perform it?” I stared at her silently.

“Uhm, I’ll have to think about it.” I said finally, not wanting to straight up tell her no. I didn’t want to disappoint her. She smiled and clapped her hands ordering us to get into our spots and start on the songs she picked out. I stayed at the piano playing the arrangements and sung along. Class went by quickly and I didn’t realize that it was over until the bell rang loudly over the speakers.
Everyone rushed out except me. I stayed behind and played my piece over again, trying to perfect it.

“Elaine,” Mrs. Grange called from her office. I paused and opened my eyes.

“Yeah?” I called back.

“Can I talk to you for a second dear?” She answered. I got up and walked over to her messy office and stood in the doorway until she told me to have a seat next to her. I silently did what I was told and folded my hands in my lap. “Have you thought about Juilliard yet?” She asked typing something into her computer. I sucked in a breath. I should’ve known. I paused for a moment and slowly shook my head.

“Mrs. Grange,” I said with a big sigh. “I can’t go there. You know that.”

“Elaine Myers!” She said sounding appalled like I’d just sworn in front of her. “You have a magnificent talent my dear! You cannot let something that wonderful go unnoticed.” I looked down at my hands and shrugged. “If your parents could see how amazing you are then they’d understand.” She said willing me to change my mind. I shook my head. “Surely they’d let you go if you showed them-”

“No, Mrs. Grange!” I yelled jumping out of the chair cutting her off. “You don’t understand! My parents don’t care if I’m good at this. They don’t care if this is my life or if this is what I love doing! They don’t care!” I shouted tears filling my eyes. “Juilliard is not an option for me. It never was.” I whispered through soft sobs. I ran out the room wiping the tears from my eyes. I grabbed my song book and ran my fingers over the marble keys again and slowly covered the piano. I grabbed my bag from the floor and walked out tears still streaming down my cheeks. I walked to my locker and grabbed my homework and headed toward my car.

“Hey!” I yelled bumping into someone on my way out. I looked up to see Adrian smirking. His smirk slowly faded to a frown, but I quickly wiped my eyes and pushed past him. He didn’t feel sorry for me. He didn’t know me. He didn’t know anything about anyone else but himself and his perfect little world.

I got to my car and sped home breaking almost every law in the book until I pulled into my driveway. I quickly re-did my makeup and blinked away the red from my eyes. I waited for my nose to turn back to my natural skin tone instead of beat red and finally got out of the car. Mom and dad were probably waiting inside, getting ready to find something to lecture me about. I walked up to the front door and paused for a moment before entering. I gathered myself and quickly thought of an excuse for why I had to stay after school today.

“Hey, I’m home!” I called through the house. No answer. It was so quiet you’d think the house was empty except for the smell of my mom’s cooking. It was spaghetti night. Every Thursday was spaghetti night. I walked upstairs to my room and let my bag drop to the ground with a small thud. I changed into my soccer gear and grabbed my soccer bag from the hanger in my closet.

“Elaine!” Mom called from downstairs. I sighed and made my way downstairs.

“Yeah?” I answered from the stairway.

“Are you going to practice?” She asked without looking at me. I walked into the kitchen and sat down at the counter.

“Yes.”

“Is it affecting your grades?”

“No.” I answered. This was our normal conversation everyday. Nothing ever changed.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.” I picked invisible pieces of dust from my soccer shorts and shook my foot impatiently.

“Good. Did you get that B up?” She asked me stirring the pot of spaghetti sauce.

“Yes.” I said still playing with the invisible dust on my shorts. She didn’t answer this time. She only nodded.

“Why were you late getting home today?” She asked me finally after a long moment of silence. My hand froze and I looked up. Thankfully, her back was still turned.

“My English teacher was talking to me about UCLA.” That got her to turn around and smile.

“See what I told you about getting good grades?” She said and I smiled back. It was rare that my parents smiled at me. I wanted to say something to keep her smiling. I savored every last bit of her smile until it faded and she turned around again. “Well, go on. Get to practice before you’re late.” She said and dismissed me. I felt my expression crumble. I nodded and left.

I was never late to practice. I was always early. If I wasn’t there before everyone else by at least an hour, then something was wrong.

I got into the car and when I was clear of my house, I blasted my CD and let my hair fly around in the wind as I drove to practice. The ride wasn’t too long. I made it in 20 minutes tops. I sat there for a minute putting on my shin guards and cleats and made my way to the field. I stretched out and decided to take a couple warm up laps before the team got here. Halfway through my second lap, Shane, the coach’s son arrived and joined me.

“Hey, Elaine.” He said when he joined me.

“Hey, Shane.” I said smiling at him. “How was your day?” I asked taking one more lap with him. He shook his head and laughed.

“You don’t want to know.” He chuckled squinting up at the sun and then to me.

“Of course I do!” I said laughing and pushing him in the arm. “That’s why I asked.” He shook his head and sighed.

“April and I got into a huge fight today.” He said looking at the ground. He had a smile on his face but I knew it was forced.

“Oh...” I paused looking straight ahead. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” I said feeling a little awkward. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

“I tell you everything Elaine.” He laughed. “And besides, you asked.” He said chuckling and throwing an amazingly toned arm around my lightly tanned, bony shoulders. I laughed and shrugged.

“What can I say? I’m easy to talk to.” I joked. He smiled at me and I could feel myself blush. Shane was exactly my type. Smart, athletic, good looking, kind, gentle, caring, understanding. He was everything I wanted.

We stretched out in the middle of the field as he started telling me about what happened between him and April.

“She doesn’t know...We don’t know if we still have feelings for each other. The past couple months have been rocky as hell. She’s saying she’s having second thoughts and I’m just tired of trying to keep her with me, you know?” He said pulling his arms over his head. He laid on the ground next to me as I sat stretching out my calves. I looked at him and frowned.

“You guys have been together since like freshmen year!” I said remembering her coming to our games and how in love they were. “And now just because you guys are going through some tough times you’re both turning away?” I stood up and looked down at him laying so perfectly on the grass. “That’s not the Shane McArthur I know. The Shane I know would bust his balls to be with this girl and wouldn’t go down without a fight.” I said giving him a good impression of his dad’s pep talks before big games.

He got up and laughed and it was so whole and warm. It filled me up. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud with him. It felt good, it was a real laugh for once in a long time. He looked up at me as I took a seat next to him.

“You know, you truly are amazing Elaine Myers.” He said and leaned against me. I leaned back and smiled.

“You are too Shane McArthur.” I sighed and suddenly remembered the AP psych project and along with my fall music festival that I had to finish my song for. I pulled my knees up to my chest and leaned my head against my knees.

“What’s wrong Elaine?” He asked me noticing the silence.

“Nothing, just thinking.” I said playing with the laces on my cleats.

“Come on now. I told you my story. It’s your turn to share.” He said jokingly pushing me with his shoulder. I smiled and sighed.

“It’s just I have this huge project due for AP psych in two weeks and my partner, who I officially hate, told me he wasn’t going to do anything. And if I don’t do it, then I fail too. Plus Mrs. Grange asked me to play a piece for the fall music festival and I couldn’t say no.”

“Well, for the fall music festival, that’s great!” He said. “You’d finally be playing in front of an audience who could see how much talent you have!” He smiled supportively and squeezed my shoulders and continued. “And for AP psych, is Mr. Barts still out to get you?” He asked laughing.

“Yes!” I said giggling along with him. “Remember junior year in Econ! I’d always get the essays and extra credit wrong just because the wording was a little off!” We laughed remembering the good old days.

“Who’s your partner?” Shane asked as the rest of the team finally started showing up.

“Adrian Jones.” I spat. “He’s a new kid who thinks he’s the s***.”

“Wait, does he have brown spiky hair and he’s about my height, my build?” He asked. I nodded praying that Shane the magnificent didn’t know Adrian the loser. “Dude! That’s April’s little sister’s boyfriend’s older brother!” I looked at him lost and he sighed as if it were the most easiest concept to follow.

“April’s little sister’s boyfriend’s older brother.” He repeated, pausing to let me catch up. I stared at him and shook my head.

“How do you know that?” I asked a little creeped out by it.

“Because he came to a party once. Kid’s got game. All the girls at the party were all over him. He’s cool.” I stared at Shane like he was a stranger to me.

“Uhm, hello?” I said waving to him as we coached the girls since Coach McArthur wasn’t going to make it. “Did you not just hear how he’s making me do the whole project by myself?” I yelled in disbelief. He cringed and passed the girls a ball as they took turns shooting.

“Oh yeah.” He said as if forgetting. “Well, I can talk to him if you’d like? You know, hook you up.” He asked winking at me. I almost gagged.

“Ew. Gross. He’s a dick.” I said crossing my arms over my chest. I thought about how Adrians arms flexed when he crossed his arms over his chest this morning, and how brown his eyes were. I shuddered and snapped out of it.

“Mhm, so gross.” Shane said mocking me. I laughed as I punched him in the arm. Practice ended early today since Shane and I had to go to work.

I got home after work and quietly went to the kitchen to warm myself up a plate of spaghetti. The house was dark and my parents were both asleep. I took the plate to my room and sat at my desk finishing up the last of my pre calc. homework and headed for the shower.
The hot water felt good on my sticky skin. The warm steam filled the bathroom and it felt good. I started singing knowing that my parents wouldn’t be able to hear me from downstairs. I let myself soak in the shower until the water began to run cold.
I wrapped a towel around myself and headed back to my room. I changed into my pj’s and sat on my bed pulling out my song book and started writing more to the song I was going to play at the music festival. Suddenly, my phone rang making me jump out of bed. I twisted under my sheets to reach out and grab my phone from my desk. I wasn’t expecting any calls this late at night. When I looked at the screen, I didn’t recognize the number. I answered anyway hoping it was my grandmother calling to tell me she was coming earlier. That woman changed her number more than the average person.

“Hello?” I said waiting to hear my grandmother’s musical voice. My hopes were quickly shot down as the other line answered.

“Heard you were talking about me at soccer practice today.” The voice came from the other line. I froze and I could feel my jaw clench shut.

“How did you get my number?” I asked ignoring his question.

“Shane told me you wanted to talk. And he gave me your number.” I closed my eyes and shook my head.

“I don’t want to talk to you. And unless you’re ready to help me on the psych project, don’t bother calling me back.” I hung up and turned my phone on silent. I got up and started pacing around my room. How was it possible for one person to get me so aggravated? I took a deep breath and walked into my closet pulling out my keyboard from underneath my shelves. My grandma had bought it for me for my seventh birthday, and it was the best present in the world to me. I smiled running a hand over the smooth keys. I closed my eyes and smiled, remembering the first time she taught me how to play. I let my hands go free as they moved and slightly put pressure on the black and white keys. It was like they had a mind of their own.
I let myself play until my hands cramped up. I sighed and put my head in my hands thinking about what Mrs. Grange had said to me today. Would my parents really notice if I played in front of them again? Would they finally see that this is what I love doing? No, stop it Elaine. Stop giving yourself false hope. Tears stung my eyes but I refused to start crying again. I wasn’t weak. Only the weak cried, and I was not weak. I refused to be weak. I turned off my keyboard and gently placed it back underneath my my shelves and dragged myself over to my bed.

I shuffled myself under the thick comforter and lay awake in bed watching the red, glowing numbers on my alarm clock slowly change. I watched laying restless as the minutes ticked by. Sighing, I turned around and tried to close my eyes. Why did this always happen? The hours I spent awake every night got worse, longer. I was tossed and turned in bed. Switching positions, I forced myself to lay flat on my back and stared up at my glow in the dark stars covered the dark ceiling. I counted each one remembering the time that I had put them up because of how scared I was of the dark when I was younger. Slowly, I started drifting off into sleep and tried to sleep through the night.

The sun was bright, and slowing filling up my room with light, not caring that I’d only gotten at least 4 hours of sleep last night. I threw an arm over my eyes hoping to block out some of the sunlight, and laid in bed until my alarm clock went off, beeping loudly in the silent room. I slammed a hand over the clock and groaned. It was 6:30. I waited for a while forcing my body to get up. I sighed heavily and finally rolled out of bed. I got off the floor slowly and stumbled into my bathroom. I didn’t bother to turn on the lights as I took a shower and got ready. It was 7:15 by the time I was done getting dressed. I was thankful that I only had half days on Friday. Classes in the morning and I had the choice of going home, but I always stayed after with Mrs. Grange to play for a few of her classes. And when they were done, I had the whole room to myself.
I ran straight to the choir room after my last hour and sat by the piano and played adding the new pieces of what I’d thought about last night. Mrs. Grange left for a few minutes to run a couple errands but would be back in a few minutes. I nodded knowing that it’d take her at least an hour to get her tasks done. I continued to play adding more and more trying to perfect the original. I felt so happy and free. I started singing to the tune and let everything that I’d been holding in for the past couple days come pouring out.

“Everything comes back to me. I remember this pain, as it spreads across my eyes. Everything is dark. I remember you smiling, we all were smiling. It pushes me far, too far away. I don’t understand how everything is broken. Can you hear me out there? Will you hold me now? Hold me here right now. Make my frozen heart whole again.” My fingers moved automatically creating a melody, flowing easily with my lyrics. I wrote down everything I did, and recorded it for a teaser to play for Mrs. Grange. “I’m broken now, I look at you from a distance, feeling everything... I’m broken now la la laaa-” I freeze, hearing the door squeak loudly open. I spin around and stand up knocking my book onto the floor. I bend down to pick it up as Adrian walked in.

“Play something.” He demanded. I raised my eyebrow at him and crossed my arms over my chest.

“Excuse me.” I said with annoyance.

“Play something.” He repeated with a sarcastic grin on his face.

“I’m not a dog. Don’t command me to do something.” I said pushing past him. “Besides I was just leaving.” I said grabbing my backpack. I turned my back toward him and walked out of the choir room. He followed shortly behind stepping quickly to match my stride.

“How long have you been playing?” He asked me on my way out to the car. I glanced at him and readjusted my backpack strap.

“Since I was seven.” I answered frankly. Adrian Jones was the last person I wanted to talk to about my life. “Anyway, it was just peachy talking to you. Sadly I have to go now.” I said sarcastically and started walking outside to my car. I wasn’t looking at him, but I could just tell a smile was pasted on his lips right now. I got into my car rolling the window down halfway letting the fresh air in. I drove past the main entrance and stole a glance at Adrian standing by the door.

“See you in psych tomorrow!” He called laughing. My immaturity got the best of me as I gave him the finger and sped off. God, why was he so annoying! I pulled into my driveway and took my time walking up to the front door. My parents weren’t home yet. They were probably out eating with their office colleagues.
I walked inside the silent house slamming the door behind me and dragging myself upstairs. My phone vibrated in my back pocket as I pushed open the door to my room.
“Hey Mir.” I sighed into the phone tiredly. “What’s up?”

“Get ready Beotch! We’re going to Dave and Busters. I invited Shane too by the way.” She said, her voice getting higher with excitement. I knew she was winking the way she always does when she sees Shane and me together. I smiled and shook my head.

“What time?”

“Six!” She squealed. “I cannot wait to see his college buddies!” She screamed. I let out a laugh and talked boys with my best friend and when she finally hung up, I got in the shower and quickly got ready. I threw on a light blue collared button up and paired it with white jeans and cute brown wedges. I applied a neutral eyeshadow and dark, heavy mascara. I stepped back observing myself in the mirror and nodded satisfied.
Miranda was at my place by 5:30, wanting me to do her makeup. I matched her eyeshadow with a gold and purple to match her shirt. She looked amazing in her purple and gold tank and black blazer. By 6, Shane was waiting outside. I sat shotgun while Miranda chatted away with her new boytoy in the back seat. I looked at Shane and he smiled.
“You look nice.” He said smiling his dazzling smile at me. I looked down and blushed.

“Thanks.” I said pushing my curls behind my ears. I stole another glance at him and our eyes locked. He smiled again and my heart jumped. I nervously reached for the radio to fill the awkward moments of silence. There was nothing on but commercials and ads. I sank back into the passengers seat and looked out the window.

“Elaine,” Shane said tapping the glove compartment. “I think I still have that CD that you made for me.” I stared at him in amazement.

“Shut up! No you don’t!” I squealed pushing him in the arm. I opened the glove compartment and sure enough, there was the mixed CD I’d made him two years ago when he drove me home. It was his birthday and I remembered how he had a thing for 80’s music. “I can’t believe you kept it!” I laughed putting it into the CD player inside his car. I skipped to track 3 and Shane and I started screaming out the lyrics to “Another one bites the dust.” We laughed when Tyler and Miranda started singing along after the first couple times. Miranda wasn’t into the classics. I glanced back at her from the rear view mirror and she smiled.
Shane parked down the street since there was no parking space available in the crowded parking lot. As we walked up to Dave and Busters, Shane put an arm around my shoulders and pulled me in closer to him. I looked up and smiled and he winked at me. “Your shirts so thin. How are you not cold?” He teased rubbing my sleeve between his fingers. I shrugged.

“It is like 75० out tonight.” I laughed. He chuckled shrugging back and I could feel his abs tighten against my side. I tried not to think about how close we were or the fact that he still kinda sorta had a girlfriend. I tried to push the thought out of my head, but it kept creeping back up.

Once we were inside Dave and Busters, we found our seats and ordered our food while the guys went straight to the arcade. I twirled the ice cubes in my lemonade and rested my head on my hand. Miranda must’ve picked up on my silence because she gave me the look.

“Okay, that’s it.” She said throwing her hands up. “What’s bothering you?” She asked in her best friend/ motherly tone. I smiled and shook my head letting out a small laugh.

“Nothing,” I said letting go of my straw. “Why do you assume that just because I’m quiet, that something is wrong. Can’t a girl just be thinking?” I asked in mock offense. My best friend looked at me and raised her eyebrow frowning.

“And now I know something’s up because one, you’re trying to divert my original question; which was, what’s wrong? And two, you’re trying to lighten up the situation.” She put a hand over mine and squeezed it gently. “I’m also your bestest friend in the whole world. So I know when you’re ‘just thinking’ and when something is bothering you.” I stared at her swallowing a deep breath. I could feel Miranda’s eyes on me. Watching me carefully.

“What aren’t you sharing with me?” I looked up through my bangs and shrugged. “Elaine Paige Myers, you cannot hide things from me. Or lie to me. I’m not your parents.” She laughed. I smiled and sighed.

“I know. You know, you scare me sometimes with how well you know me.” I said playing with my straw wrapper. She shrugged back at me and grinned.

“It’s my job. Anyway, tell me, tell me, tell me!”

“It’s nothing big, it’s just...He annoys me so much. Like just saying his name gets me so aggravated. And he’s cocky, and a smart ass and sarcastic. He just knows how to push my buttons.” I could feel myself heating up describing this kid to her.

She smiled widely and leaned forward. “You wouldn’t be talking about Adrian Jones would you?” She said saying his name slowly and closed her eyes biting her bottom lip.

“Miranda. You’re not seeing my point view here. And stop that!” I said lightly smacking her in the arm and she licked her lips and repeated his name.

“Oh, come on Elaine.” She said dramatically. “Tell me he’s not yummy in every way possible.” I shook my head but didn’t answer. That’s exactly it. He was ‘yummy.’ In every way you could think of. And the fact that he was on my mind more than I liked got me even more worried and pissed at the same time. I looked away from my Miranda who was drooling over Adrian and turned my focus on Shane. He looked at me smiling and waved us over. I grabbed Miranda and we joined the boys in their games. As we made our way over, I saw someone standing behind Shane.

“God, you have got to be kidding me!” I cursed as the guy stepped out from behind Shane. Miranda looked in my direction and smiled widely at me and then to him. I stayed silent as I took my place next to Shane.

“Hey psych buddy.” Adrian said from behind me. I spun around to look at him.

“You didn’t tell me he was coming.” I said to Shane. He looked at Adrian and smiled sheepishly.

“Would you have come if you knew?” He asked me. I stayed silent and Shane laughed. “That’s why I didn’t tell you.”

Adrian laughed and I glared at him. I grabbed a ball and shot it in the basket. I smiled feeling the need for competition.

“Nothing but net!” I laughed high-fiving Shane. Adrian stood next to me chuckling and shaking his head. He shot and made it in. I raised an eyebrow at him and crossed my arms over my chest.

“You wanna go against me?” I challenged.

“It wouldn’t be a fair game.” He said smiling.

“Oh, come on. I’ll go easy on you. Promise.” I winked. He grinned and nodded.

“Okay then. If I win, you have to do everything I say for a week.” He said. I nodded and added my own condition.

“And if I win, you have to work on the psych project with me. We’ll finish it together.” I grinned widely as he nodded and shook my hand, starting the game. “And fair warning, I always win.” I said to him. He smiled widely at me and shrugged.

“Funny, ‘cause I never lose.”

“First time for everything.” I said back and immediately made four more baskets. Adrian shot four and made them all in. We continued all the way up until our timer stopped and I made twenty five shots. We were tied until Adrian missed his last shot. A girl with a revealing top came up behind him and put her arm over his shoulders. I felt a pit in my stomach, I quickly shoved it out and made my last shot. I turned toward Adrian and stood toe to toe with him. He looked down at me, smiled and shrugged.

“Looks like you won.” He said looking straight at me. I nodded and looked at the girl then back at him.

“I did, and a deal’s a deal. Be at the library tomorrow at noon. If you’re late, your life is going to be a living hell.” He smiled but I couldn’t return it. That fire was still in my chest and I didn’t know why. The girl with short black hair crossed her arms and stood in front of me.

“Who the hell are you?” She sneered. I eyed her up and down.

“Elaine Myers.” I said proudly crossing my arms over my chest.

“No little girl. I meant who the hell are you talking to Adrian like that.” She said rolling her eyes. I laughed. And she tensed up. I could take her on. And with the mood I was in, I wasn’t planning on losing. Adrian jumped in putting an arm around the girl and whispered something in her ear. She smiled at him seductively and then looked at me rolled her eyes. I stared at them, the whole in my stomach getting bigger.

“Do you always fight Adrian’s fights for him?” I asked sarcastically. Adrian looked up at me with pure amusement and for a moment, he looked impressed.

“I’ll see you tomorrow Elaine.” He said to me winking. Right then, Shane walked up and put an arm around my shoulders, making Adrian’s expression change. He raised his eyebrows and looked at me. I smiled amusement spreading through my body. I looked up and for the heck of it smiled brightly at Shane. I looked back at Adrian and it was just for an instant but I saw his expression crinkle. I smiled as I watched them leave, but the small pain in my chest was still there. I pushed it back and looked up at Shane.

“Okay!” He yelled over the crowds of people and blasting music. “Elaine and me against you two in Ski Ball!” He grabbed my hand claimed me as his partner as we made our way to the Ski Ball area to go against Miranda and Tyler. We battled it out in a tough competition, but Shane and I were the winners by only one point. I laughed jumping up to give Shane a high-five and he picked me up. We went back to our table so that Tyler and Shane could chow down.

Dinner was fun tonight, and I was extremely tired by the time Shane had dropped us off. Miranda was sleeping over my place tonight since she was already knocked out when Shane pulled into my driveway.

“Dinner was awesome!” I whispered quietly to Shane as I peered in the back seat to see if Miranda was awake yet. “Ice cream tomorrow after I’m done at the shelter? My treat. I’ll even stop by to pick you up and everything.” I teased hopping out of his truck. He grabbed my hand and gently pulled me back.

“Wait,” He said staring at me. My heart pounded in my chest nervous about what he was about to say. “I had a lot of fun tonight.” He said smiling slightly. I felt my heart slowly crumble knowing there was going to be a ‘but’ following shortly. “Elaine, I obviously really like you. You’re amazing, but I need to break it off with April for good first. And I will, I promise.” He said pulling me down gently for a kiss on my cheek. I shivered feeling his warm breath on my lower neck. I smiled trying to keep my composure.

“Shane, don’t break up with her because of just one night out. You’re jumping in head first. I don’t want to be the reason you two split and then what if you regret it later on? I don’t want to be the reason for the ending of a happy couple.” I squeezed his hand and let go. “Make the decision with a clear head. Right now, we’re both a little on edge and it was a really, really fun night. Your adrenaline is still probably pumping.” I said chuckling. “But Sunday is still a date. I owe you for tonight.” I didn’t tell him that I owed him for helping me get my thoughts straight about Adrian. But he didn’t need to know that. He smiled nodded and Tyler carried Miranda inside as Shane walked with me to the door.

“Goodnight Elaine.” He said bending down to meet my eyes. “And for the record, I did have a clear head on. Still do. I like you Elaine. I just can’t believe it took me this long to realize it.” He said shaking his head half-heartedly chuckling. I shivered processing his words and felt a smile make it’s way from my heart to my lips. I bit my bottom lip and looked up at him. He glanced down with a quick smile and then kissed me lightly on the lips. “Sweet dreams Elaine Myers.” He whispered to me as he pulled away slowly.

“Yeah...” I sighed with my eyes still closed. “Goodnight Shane.” I whispered back. He laughed and walked back to his car with his hands in his pockets. I spun around with a smile and headed inside. I changed out of my clothes and into my pj’s and laid awake next to Miranda who was still sound asleep. I turned over thinking about Shane and our night. I couldn’t help but feel guilty because Shane was all I thought about when I was with him, alone. But as soon as he left, my thoughts were about Adrian. He annoys me so much. And I hate him. But either way you look at it, he’s still on my mind. What was wrong with me! I threw an arm over my eyes and groaned softly.

“You are officially an idiot.” I mumbled to myself. I closed my eyes and for once fell asleep.

*racism as in Hitler's 'Mind control' of Nazi's

I was surprised to see Elaine at Dave and Buster’s tonight. Shane told me to meet him there, because he was bringing someone but I wasn’t expecting him to bring her. I admit at first, I thought it’d be fun to screw around with her, but I was surprised when she put up a fight. The way her eyes lit up when I accepted her challenge in basketball, and the way she stood up to Karina. It turned me on. But she was with Shane. She hates me. But I couldn’t shake the fact that when he put his arms around her, I wanted to knock his teeth in. I mean, come on. I do that to girls all the time. I looked at Karina’s naked back laying next to me. I gently lifted her to put a t-shirt on her. This chicks been wanting me from the moment she saw me and all I’m thinking about is Elaine.

I got up and sat at the edge of my bed. I couldn’t sleep, maybe I was still hyped up from the booze. I stood up feeling dizzy for a second but shook it off. I walked outside and sat on the porch taking out my pack of cigarettes. I told myself I’d quit months ago, but hell. I’ve been telling myself a lot of things lately. I sat there blowing out the white smoke and looked at the dark sky. Damn, I really didn’t feel like going to church tomorrow. I don’t know why my aunt makes me go. Maybe she feels it’ll save me. Yeah, right. Ain’t no saving my screwed up ass, I’m too far down the path to make a turn now.

I suddenly pictured Elaine and how perfect her life must be. How her parents spoil her to death. How all she has to do is say the word and her parents would do anything and everything for their perfect little angel. I laughed thinking about what she told me before I left Dave and Buster’s. ‘If you’re late, I’ll make your life a living hell.’ It tempted something inside me to see what her perfect little body could possibly do to make my life more hellish than what it already was.

“Adrian,” A voice slurred from behind me. I turned around and she smiled. She was beyond wasted. “Come back to bed baby.” She whispered wrapping her bony arms around my shoulders. She pushed her chest into my back and started kissing my neck. I turned around and looked at her.

“I will babe,” I said untangling her from me. “In a little bit. You go first.” She pouted but left, stumbling back inside. I sighed and got up, following her to make sure she didn’t wake my aunt. I stood behind her, putting an arm around her waist to carry her down the stairs. She smiled and laughed and wobbled.

“Such a gentleman.” Karina breathed in my ear.

“Karina, pay attention.” I said trying to find my way back to the bed in the dark. She laughed and slid her hand down my chest. I took her hand and held it in mine. She was way more drunk than I thought she was. I laid her down on the bed and put a blanket over her. I took my spot on my couch and just laid there. I listened to Karina’s breathing become steady and slower, and I finally fell asleep.

I woke up at 11:30 the next morning, and swore. I quickly got ready and took Karina back home. She was hungover pretty badly. I walked her up through the buildings and finally found her dorm. Her roommate opened the door and eyed me up and down. I smiled and she blushed.

“Hey, sorry. I know I promised I’d bring her back before midnight, but we got caught up in the moment.” I lied. She nodded and unwound Karina’s arms from my shoulders.

“Oh, no.” She laughed. “It’s totally fine. She never gets out anyway.” She said waving a hand at me. I nodded. That would explain why she was so wasted after half a beer. “But I hope you guys had fun.” She winked at me as she put Karina down on the bed. I nodded again and started to leave.

“I have to be somewhere in about...Well, now. But maybe next time, me and you could go out for dinner.” I smiled and she nodded quickly looking over her shoulder.

“Yeah, definitely.” She beamed. I smiled again and left without looking back. So much for sorority sisters being ‘so close.’ I got to my car and sped off. S***, I honestly wasn’t planning on being late, but then again, I was still curious as to how Elaine was going to ruin me.

I walked into the library and looked around for her. Sure enough, there she was. Her nose already shoved inside a book. She didn’t even look up at me as I walked up to her.

“You’re late.” She said flipping the page. I glanced at my watch.

“By five minutes.” I argued back. She looked up and raised her eyebrow.

“Hmm,” She said standing up. “I’m surprised you can tell time. Because if I remember correctly, I told you to be here by noon.”

“Think of it as being fashionably late.” I joked. Her lip twitched into a small smile. I smiled back and something inside me jumped. I quickly pushed it away and looked around the library, trying to look at anything other than her.

“Right.” She replied sarcastically. Her long lashes almost touched her eyebrows as she rolled her eyes at me. She walked toward a bookshelf and I followed next to her.

“So what were you thinking of doing?” I asked as I watched her pull books from the shelf and hand them to me. I picked one up and read the title. “‘Psychology. The human mind.’ Nice. But doesn’t really tell me what our project’s about.”

“You’ll find out.” She said smiling slyly at me. “Open it up to chapter 10.” She said sitting down at a table nearby. I raised my eyebrow at her and sat across from her. I did what I was told, opening the book to chapter 10. I read the title and started laughing.

“Mind control.” I stated bluntly, still chuckling. “You think you can mind control me?” She shook her head.

“No, not control you. But I know that I could persuade you.” She said smiling at me. And right away, I thought of the many things that I knew she could make me do and I’d go down without a fight. But I smiled and crossed my arms over my chest shaking my head at her. I was challenging her and she knew it. I could tell by the way her eyes lit up.

“Watch me.” She said flipping her long brown hair over her shoulders. I stared at her as she wrote something down in her notebook. “Okay, so I was thinking that we could do an experiment instead of just making a book or slide show.” Her face glowed as she talked about her ideas about how we should conduct the experiment. She had some really good ideas. I smiled feeling impressed by this girl.

“Oh, what do you think about doing something on racism?” She looked up at me with a hopeful expression.

“That sounds good. But where would we do it?” I answered and she smiled widely.

“Wait, really?” She asked me leaning forward.

“Yeah,” I laughed. “But where are we going to do it?” I watched her as she bit her bottom lip and I swear this chick was teasing me. I thought of what her lips would feel like on mine. What she’d taste like if I kissed her. My mind traveled and I didn’t hear her calling my name.

“Adrian...” Her voice trailed off as I finally came back to reality.

“Sorry, what?” I said. But she wasn’t paying attention to me. She was staring at some other guy by the computers, and he was looking back. She looked uncomfortable. She quickly looked down and let her hair cover her face as the guy stood up to walk over to us.

“Hey Elaine.” He said to her. He was wearing a skin tight blue shirt and jeans. She looked up for a second and smiled slightly.

“Oh, hi.” She said back and quickly looked away again. I looked at her and then back to steroid man standing next to the table. The guy smiled widely and put his hands on the table.

“How long has it been?” He asked her leaning towards her. I saw her grip her pen tightly in her hand and look up.

“Not long enough.” I heard her mumble but he didn’t hear anything. “I don’t know Lucas, when was the last time you ignored me?” His expression dimmed. Elaine forced a smile on her face and looked at me. I was trying to get her attention, but she wouldn’t meet my eyes for longer than half a second.

“I haven’t seen you in a while. How’ve you been?” He said ignoring her last statement, reaching for her hand. He grabbed her hand, but she snatched it back. I could feel myself tense up as I looked at her. I didn’t know what the story was between them and why I had the sudden urge to protect her, and keep her safe, but I did. And the sooner we got away from this guy, the faster I’d get the chance to find out what their history was.

“I’m Adrian. Nice meeting you.” I said sarcastically as I stood up. I stood in front of Elaine and grabbed her books. “But I gotta get home and she’s my ride.” I said letting her get up and get out of the seats. Lucas crossed his arms over his chest and nodded, looking at Elaine as she walked away. His eyes traveled over her body and it took all I had not to knock give him a black eye.

“See you soon, Elaine.” He said. She turned around and looked at him but didn’t react. She walked out the door and to her car. I followed her wanting to make sure she was okay.

“Elaine!” I said grabbing her hand for her to turn and look at me. She spun around and all of the warmness was gone from her face.

“I’m sorry...” She whispered covering her face with her hand. She sucked in a breath and finally looked at me. “Do you need a ride home?” She asked grabbing her books from me.

“Yeah,” I said pulling out my phone to text my cousin, Vincent to come and get my Jeep. I bought the car from him and only he had another set of keys. I locked my Jeep as she pulled out of the parking lot. I needed to find out this girl’s story. It was silent on the drive to my house except me occasionally telling her where to go.

“So, what happened back at the library?” I finally asked her. I noticed her grip the steering wheel. She didn’t answer me for a while but then she sucked in a breath. I looked at her and watched as she closed her eyes for a moment and opened them again.

“He’s my ex-boyfriend.” She said through gritted teeth. I stayed quiet waiting for her to finish the story. “He cheated on me. We were together for two years and he cheats on me.” She half-heartedly laughed and stared out the window ahead. She turned into my driveway and parked her car. “He slept with my cousin when she spent the summer over here. And when I tried to confront him about it, he ignored me and threw my cousin to the side like trash. I went over to his place to get her things and he got mad and started throwing stuff. He threw a picture frame at me.” She said pulling down her sleeve to show me a scar on her lower right shoulder. I stared at the pink skin that now covered over the cut and clenched my hand into a tight fist. “But I never told anyone. Not even Miranda, so you have to promise you won’t say a thing. Promise Adrian.” She asked with wide eyes. I couldn’t look away from her.

I’d beat his ass the next time I saw him. I wouldn’t let him get away with what he did. I wanted to tell her that all guys weren’t like him. But I’d be lying to her. I would never hurt a girl physically, but I acted just like him. I was just like him, and seeing how hurt she still was over him made me want to kill that bastard.

“You’re not mad at your cousin though.” I said to her. I could tell by the way she told me the story. She smiled and shook her head.

“No, she’s my family. I’ll always love her and choose her over any guy. And I don’t know if that makes me weak or strong? Am I strong because I was strong enough to forgive her? Or am I weak for not doing anything about it?” I looked at this girl sitting next to me and couldn’t help but feel admiration for her. She was strong and smart and brave. I opened my mouth to tell her that she was definitely not weak. But she continued. “I learned my lesson from him though. All guys are the same. No matter how much you give them, they don’t see it until it’s not there anymore.” She looked ahead again and touched her necklace.

“Not all guys are the same you know.” I said to her, feeling the need to defend myself. She looked at me in shock.

“Yes they are.”

“I’m nothing like that bastard!” I shouted. She blinked twice and then looked down.

“I...I’m sorry, I didn’t mean...” She blinked at me with confused, wide eyes, but I didn’t stay long enough for her to finish her sentence. I got out and slammed the door. I could feel her eyes on me as I walked up to the front porch. I didn’t look back. I walked inside the house and slammed the door shut. I didn’t know why I was so upset. I went downstairs and threw myself on my bed and stared up at the pale white ceiling. I closed my eyes trying to forget about Elaine, but she was constantly on my mind. I needed to get her out of my head and the sooner I did, the better. I was thinking about her way more than I needed to.

I wasn’t expecting Adrian to get so upset. I wasn’t expecting him to actually sit there and listen to me sob about my ex either. But it was weird when he saved me for the second time. I saw the way he looked at me in the library, but I couldn’t bring myself to look at him. Especially when Lucas showed up.

He threw me off. He was my first everything. And keeping my scar a secret for so long was crushing me. It surprised me how easily it was to talk to Adrian. How a weight was lifted off my chest. I clung onto my steering wheel as I sat in the driveway thinking over everything that happened the past few hours. I didn’t mean to upset him. I was just babbling.
The way he got out of the car and didn’t even look back at me hurt, and I didn’t understand why. I didn’t like Adrian. I don’t like him. He wasn’t as bad as I first thought, but that didn’t mean I had feelings for him. I closed my eyes to gather up my thoughts and slowly let out another sigh. I got out of my car and finally made my way up to the house. I got inside and quietly went to the kitchen and made myself a small salad from last night’s dinner. The house was dark and my parents were both asleep. I took the plate to my room and sat at my desk finishing up the last of my pre calc. homework and headed for the shower.
I wrapped a towel around myself and headed back to my room. I changed into my pj’s and sat on my bed pulling out my song book and started writing more to the song I was going to play at the music festival. Suddenly, my phone rang making me jump out of bed. I twisted under my sheets to reach out and grab my phone from my desk. I wasn’t expecting any calls this late at night. When I looked at the screen, I immediately swore to myself. S***, I’d forgotten all about Shane! I swallowed hard and answered.
“Shane, I’m so sorry. I completely forgot. God! I’m such a horrible person.” I blurted into the phone. A small laugh came from the other end and my heart felt a little more at ease.

“I knew you were busy today. It’s okay. Plus, we have a game tomorrow anyway. But I’m still holding you to your promise Elaine Myers.” Shane said on the other line. I laughed and let out a relieved sigh.

“So you’re not upset with me?” I asked like a small child. I could almost picture Shane rolling his eyes at me.

“Not at all. Elaine, I could never get mad at you.” He said laughing. I giggled with him and lay flat on my back.

“I promise Friday, I’ll take you out.” I said smiling.

“I’m going to remind you everyday!” Shane joked. I chuckled but felt upset again.

“I could go for one of your hugs right about now.” I told him. He asked me why but I couldn’t tell him. For one thing, I didn’t know myself. And if I was feeling upset over Adrian, I couldn’t tell Shane that.
We talked for awhile and around 10:45, I could feel myself starting to doze off.

“Shane, I’m extremely tired.” I yawned. I could hear him yawing on the other end and giggled. “You should get some sleep too Shane.” I said and turned over on my side.

“I don’t have class tomorrow.” He said.

“Really?” I asked yawning loudly again.

“Yeah, do you want me to pick you up tomorrow?” He asked me. I was half asleep and didn’t hear him.

“Mhmm.” I answered.

“Okay, I’ll be there around 6:45. Goodnight Elaine.” Shane said.

“Okay, goodnight.” I mumbled back and hung up. I fell asleep right away for once and slept through the night.
The next morning was tiring. I woke up at four to my parents arguing about something downstairs. I glanced at the alarm clock next to my bed and groaned. I turned around but couldn’t fall back asleep so I decided to get up and get ready. After the quick shower, I slipped into my favorite pair of jeans, threw on a cute top and paired it with my favorite flip flops. I let my hair air dry into its wild waves.
I grabbed my backpack from my desk and mentally prepared myself for my parents downstairs. To my surprise, they were gone. The both of them. I shrugged and made my way to the fridge. It was only 5:30 by the time I was finished making myself breakfast. I sat by the island in the middle of the kitchen and stared at the family picture framed and hung perfectly on the wall in front for all to see. I laughed bitterly and shook my head. “Some family.” I mumbled to myself and dumped my leftover food in the trash. After doing the dishes, it was 6:25. Shane would be coming soon.

When I got outside, I noticed that my mom’s car was still in the driveway. I looked at my watch and then back at the house. She should’ve left already. I walked back inside and went to her room. “Mom?” I called as I entered. It was dark and my stomach twisted. The bathroom door was opened and the sunroof was the only source of light I had. “Mom, are you in here?” I asked as I stepped carefully towards the bathroom. I swung the door open and flipped on the lights.

“Mom!” I screamed as tears filled my eyes. “Mom what happened?” I shouted running to her and picking up the broken glass on the floor. I snatched the sharp piece of glass away from her and put pressure on her arm.

“Elaine...” She whispered. Her head rolled toward my direction and her eyes were glazing over.

“No, no! Mom, it’s okay. You’re going to be okay. Do you understand me?” I cried. I looked around for my dad, but he was nowhere to be found. “Hey, stay with me. It’s okay, look at me mom. Right at me okay? It’s going to be okay.” I didn’t know who I was trying to convince, her or myself? I pulled my phone out and called 9-1-1. My hands were covered in blood and I could feel a panic attack coming on, but I had to stay calm. I took in a deep breath and almost gagged. My mom’s blood was everywhere that the smell was overwhelming.
Suddenly the doorbell rang. I screamed calling him in and prayed that he heard me. I couldn’t leave my mom here. “Shane!” I cried and screamed and shouted. “Shane!” I finally heard the door swing open and heard his heavy footsteps running in my direction. He ran threw the door and stared at me kneeling next to my mother who was still badly bleeding out.

“Please help me!” I choked. He ran to my side and helped me put pressure on my mother’s wounded arms. “I called 9-1-1 already, but...but” I choked. Shane wrapped a protective arm around me, and I was shaking everywhere. It took everything I had not to start sobbing again. I was scared.
It seemed like decades before the cops got here. An ambulance came and put my mom on a stretcher and asked me questions. I was so numb as I answered the questions in a daze. The whole time I wondered where my dad was and what they had been arguing about. They left and Shane and I followed behind the ambulance in silence. Shane finally broke the silence.

“Elaine, don’t hold it in.” He said softly reaching out for me. “If you have to cry or scream, do it. But just don’t keep it locked up inside. Please.” He said and wrapped me inside his arms and let me cry. I let everything I’d been holding in out. I looked at the time and then back at him.

“I don’t think I can go today. I won’t be able to hold up the charade. I need a break.” I sighed and felt him nod against my head. After a few minutes, I gathered myself and we got out to go see my mom.
She was passed out in her room when we got up there, and I looked at Shane.

“Now you know what the Myer’s family is really like.” I half-heartedly laughed. He looked at me and frowned.
“You can’t control everything Elaine.” He said. I pulled my legs up to my chest and rested my head on my knees. I closed my eyes and breathed in the stale scent of the hospital room.

“I’m so mad at myself, I freaked out. Again. I should’ve called right away instead of crying like a stupid little girl.” Tears swelled in my eyes again but I swallowed them back.

“Elaine, this isn’t something anyone should have to get used to. You’re making it sound like an everyday normal thing.”

“You don’t understand.” I said shaking my head. “I let myself forget what it was like. I should’ve been prepared.”

“She hasn’t been like this for years Elaine. You cannot keep baring their world with all it’s problems on your shoulders.” He said to me coming over to rub my back. “I will always be here for you. You know that.” I looked up at him and forced myself to smile.

“I know. And I shouldn’t even ask this, but, can you not mention this...to anyone?” I looked at him and laughed when he pretended to be appalled. The past three days were quiet and I couldn’t help but think about how Adrian was doing in psych.

I woke up to the smell of my aunts famous cooking. I laid awake in bed, still feeling a little
pissed about Sunday and Monday and the bad after effects of the pity party I threw myself the last couple nights. She didn’t show up for two days and I was stuck working on the project alone, after she pretty much called me and the rest of the male population douche bags. But she called me and helped with the project as much as she could. I still wasn’t all too happy about how much I thought about little Miss Perfect either, even knowing she didn’t give two shits about me. But I did. And I couldn’t explain it.
I finally got up and got ready, not being able to resist the tempting smell of my aunts homemade banana bread anymore. I walked upstairs and kissed her on the cheek as I set the table.
“Morning.” I yawned as I grabbed cups from the cupboard and filled them with milk.

“Good morning.” My aunt laughed. “What’s with the sudden happy go lucky mood?” She asked. I shrugged.

“Can I take two to go.” I said chugging my milk down and grabbing two slices on my way to the car. I sped to school making it just in time for first hour. I was surprised to see Elaines car down the parking lot. Throughout the school day, I found myself searching the halls for her. But I didn’t see her until third hour, in psych.
“Hey,” I whispered behind her as I walked in and took my seat. She looked up at me and looked tired and stressed, but quickly covered it up.

“Hi.” She yawned. I raised my eyebrows at her.

“Didn’t sleep well last night?” I joked, but her expression became worried.

She shook her head quickly. “No, why? Do I look tired or something?” She asked me, but when I gave her a look she forced a laugh to wave it off.
“I was just kidding. You look fine.” I said and she smiled at me. I caught myself staring into her light brown eyes and quickly looked away. “So, where were you the past few days?” I asked as the class began and we were sent off to work on our projects. She wouldn’t look at me when she answered.

“I told you. I wasn’t feeling well.” She mumbled. I didn’t believe that the first time she told me, but I let it go. I heard her phone buzz in her lap and watched her as she carefully looked around before replying. She smiled down at the screen and I couldn’t help but ask her who it was.

“Boyfriend?” I asked her. She looked up as if she was surprised that I noticed her texting.

“Oh, uhm no. I don’t have one. Just a friend.” She said with another smile.

“Who?” I asked, and bit my tongue. Why the hell was I interrogating her? I expected her to give me a bitchy comment, but she shrugged and answered.

“Shane.” She said with another smile and a pang of jealousy coursed through my body. I quickly pushed it aside and nodded. She was quiet for a moment and I could feel her eyes on me as if she were debating on asking me a question.

“What about you?” She asked. I looked at her and played dumb.

“I have a lot of friends.” I said and she rolled her eyes.

“You know what I meant. Do you have a girlfriend?”

“No. ” I said with a sly smile. “Why? Are you interested?” I laughed as she blushed and looked away.

“Puh-lease.” She said looking back at me with a straight expression. I raised my eyebrows at her and stared back into her honey eyes, willing her to look away first but she didn’t. I laughed again and looked away and I swear I could feel the pride vibrating off her. I looked back at her and sure enough there was her bright, victorious smile pasted neatly across her pink, glossy lips. I cleared my throat and she laughed.

“I’m pretty sure you’ve lost twice already to me Adrian.” She said to me with a small laugh. “And here I thought you’d be a challenge. Mister ‘I never lose.’” Damn, she got me there. I felt a smile creep up my lips and that actually got me to shut up. But I wasn’t about to go down easily. If she wanted a challenge, I’d give her one.

We worked on the project for the rest of class and I was surprised when the bell rang. I could tell she was too by the way she jumped up. I laughed at her giggling at herself and she spun around to look at me. Her long, brown, shiny hair flipping as she did. Her smile caught me off guard. I got up from the ground and walked to my desk.

“Class felt shorter today didn’t it?” She asked me.

“Sure.” I said not looking at her. I felt like a dick, but I needed to stop myself from getting in over my head. I needed to keep in mind that it was just fun and games. Besides, she liked Shane. And I was using her for the grade, anything else was bagage. She walked to her desk in front of me and her smile was still on her face. “So meet me after school on Thursday so we can get the camera and stuff to record.”

“Maybe.” I said with a sly smile as I made my way out. I walked to my locker and was surprised to see she followed me. “Aren’t you going to be late to your class?” I asked her opening my locker in her face. As I grabbed my things for next hour, I heard something drop on the ground. I glanced over my shoulder as she picked something up off the ground. She smiled at me for a second but quickly hid it. I raised an eyebrow at her and my shut my locker.

“I...I don’t care.” She said trying her best not to look intimidated. She looked down for a moment then back up at me, her light brown eyes looking intently on me. “All I need is an answer. Will you meet me after school or what?” She said in a controlled tone. I shrugged. She balled her perfectly manicured fingers into a fist and stood toe to toe with me getting in my face. It took all I had not to grab her and kiss her.

“I did give you an answer. I said-”

“Maybe is not an answer. It’s either yes or no.” She said cutting me off. I looked at the clock on the wall behind her and laughed.

“I guess you’ll just have to find out on Thursday then won’t you. By the way, you only have a minute-scratch that, 59, oh no 58 seconds to get to class.” I said crossing my arms over my chest. She looked panicked but then smiled.

“You’re going to be late too!” She said pointing a finger at me. I shook my head and pointed my thumb behind me.

“My class is right there.” I said to her. She bit her lip and spun around taking off down the hall at a sprint.

“Looks like I’m catching up one to two I think the score is now!” I called after her. She turned her head toward me as she rounded the corner and flipped me off with a grin.

“I don’t think so! I have something you don’t!” She called back as she ran out of sight.

Last hour seemed to pass by slowly. The clock ticked by slowly, making me anxious to leave. As soon as the bell rang I sprinted to my locker. I rushed out, and was surprised to see Elaine waiting for me by my Jeep.

She had a huge smile on her face. I looked at her and raised my eyebrow.

“What? You got extra credit on a math quiz or something?” She shook her head silently with a smile still glued to her lips. I chuckled as I reached into my pocket for my keys. I dug in my pocket, feeling nothing except the fabric against my fingers. I patted myself down feeling for my keys but they weren’t on me. Then I looked at Elaine and crossed my arms over my chest as her grin got wider.

“What? Did you lose your keys?” She asked with a sarcastic dumbfounded expression.

“Where are my keys?” I asked. She shrugged and stepped out of the way. I tried to open the door to my car and swore. “How did you...?” I trailed off looking at my keys inside my locked Jeep. I glared back at her and she started to back away still smiling.

“I have no idea how they got there.” She said putting her hands up in a sign of innocence. “But have fun trying to get your keys out.” I reached for her but she spun out of my grasp, laughing as she ran away to her car.

I tried opening all the doors dumbly, with no luck, swearing the whole time. She drove up next to me in her white Audi and rolled down her window.

“Karma’s a b**** Adrian.” She said from her car. “At least, now if you don’t show up on Thursday, I’ll know why you couldn’t make it.” She laughed. “Figure out a way to open your doors.” She giggled. “It’ll be fun! Good luck psych buddy!” She said to me, laughing as she drove off.

I shook my head and devilishly smiled thinking of the many ways to get her back. So this is how she wanted to play? I was down for that.

on Mar. 17 2013 at 2:40 am
JustAnotherDay. BRONZE, Andover, Ohio

Stephen Fry - There are many people out there that will tell you that "you can't". What you've got to do is turn around and say, "watch me."

I like. I like a lot. Lol Keep writing I love it.

1DInfection said...
on Feb. 7 2013 at 9:18 am
1DInfection, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I love your book. I need more. Keep writing please!

on Feb. 2 2013 at 8:22 am
I love your book. Why did you stop? Keep going. Absolutely love it. Best book ever!!