Dreams

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Prologue 1995

Every kid has a dream. Most are ridiculous, I admit. However, that’s better than having none, like me. I’ve never had a dream or an ambition or whatever you wanna call it because there’s nothing that makes me get excited or hopeful. I don’t know why, I don’t even have a sob story for my reasoning. I just don’t have a dream.
“Walk!” Mr Pirfin’s voice echoed down the corridor as the students hurried to the field. Some idiot supposedly set off the fire alarm and so, we all had to go out into the damp English weather because they couldn’t be bothered for Maths. “I said, walk Miss Hall!” He shoved his finger over the top of the students to me. I hated that man, he was one of the reasons I moved school for the last two years. Slowing my pace, I almost stopped in front of a few hundred kids.
Although, one boy decided he’d had enough of Mr Pirfin’s efforts to control us and rammed his shoulder into me. I don’t know whether it was on purpose or not. Either way, his satchel’s buckle burst and flung some paper directly into my face. I stopped completely to peal it off. Unfortunately for me, the students behind went crazy and so did Mr Pirfin. Bursting past me when something exploded inside the school and the smell of smoke got stronger. At the time, I thought they were all over reacting but it was actually me, who wasn’t reacting enough.
I don’t remember the pain, doctors say that our brains deliberately block out that kind of memory but I do remember one thing. The piece of paper that stuck to my face. Luckily, it wasn’t the flames that hit me, it was some metal that smashed my side and scraped by collar bones. Well, that’s what the doctors said so yeah, I have scars but I also have the piece of paper that survived the accident too. In fact, other than my memory of Mr damned Pirfin and those aggravating kids, it’s the only thing I have to show me that what the doctors told me is true. I mean, for all I know I could have been hit by a car but no, my piece of paper and tiny memory of that crowd are the things that let me trust the doctors when I was in the hospital.
However, before I acknowledged any of that, I actually read the paper in the hospital a couple days after my accident and it wasn’t what I thought it would be. It was so much more.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Bubbs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thanks! :) xxx

FallenAngel170198This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:14 am
Just beautiful :)