Weightless

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Luke:

Most of my friends didn’t even know who the hell I was. They thought I hated school; they thought I’d love to blow any girl who’d give me the chance; they thought I was Luke the Jock, the Stereotype. I acted like I was great all the time. I complain about my favorite classes, dedicate my only free time to sports, and pull all-nighters just to text that hot b**** they thought I should date because she’d make me more popular. I had been different back in elementary school. I had been quieter and focused more on school, but then middle school hit me like a boulder. I’d thought it was cool to fail and piss off my teachers. After that bullshit, high school offered me a free ticket to the VIP seat of Drama City. Why couldn’t I get the hell away from this place?
~
Summer. Parties. Getting drunk. Getting high. Living “Young, Wild, and Free,” they called it. I’d gotten drunk for the first time and when my parents had found out, my father had beaten me and then my mom had started crying and begged him to stop. He did and then he’d kicked me out of the house. My friends had thought it was funny and made me sleep on the couch. Then one day, my mom had called saying I could come back. But this time, I had to be sober.
~
School. Wake up. Survive. Go to bed. Repeat. Senior year, only ten months of this hellhole left. And then I’d be gone. Away from all these dumbasses. The day I received that diploma, I was done. Well, if I ever even got there.
There was a new girl in school. At least I thought she was new . . . who was she?
~
New Girl sat with us during lunch. She laughed when I said a joke. Well, everyone did, but there was something familiar about her laugh; something warm and comforting. I was about to ask for her name when Cory shouted over the loudness of the cafeteria:
“Hey, Faith, you’re super cool. You wanna hang out with us after school today at Chipotle?”
Faith? Faith, that geeky girl from my Spanish class last year? That couldn’t be her. Junior Faith was heavier (not fat, but just . . . big) and had darker hair and was really quiet. How did she transform into Senior Faith in that short amount of time? Whatever, she was hot. Wow. That sounded shallow.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »