The Lake

Author's note: I always have story beginnings running through my mind, and i ran with this one! Please give...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I always have story beginnings running through my mind, and i ran with this one! Please give feedback! It will help me to keep writing and to improve. Also leave a comment and i will gladly see your work and try to comment and rate as well. Thank you!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next »

Lacey Chapter 6

“Jake!? JAKE, NO JAKE NO!” I screamed so loud when I heard him hit the water. I didn’t know what to do and I fell to the ground screaming before I finally realized I had to get help. I scrambled to my bag and dialed 911 with such shaking hands that I could hardly hit the buttons. Once it was dialing I was flying through the brush to get to Jake.
“911 what’s your emergency?” said a calm voice
“My brother! I need an ambulance at the river NOW! At the water under…. Under,” I trailed off looking for a mile marker that is marked on mountains and near the water. I spotted a bright yellow marker across the river. “Across from marker 63! My brother just jumped off the cliff!”
“An ambulance is on the way. Please stay on the phone.” I did as she said and kept the phone open but as soon as I got to the water I dropped it and swam toward Jake. I could already hear the sirens but they were still distant. I reached him and pulled him toward me. I started screaming his name in his face but he wasn’t responding. Tears ran down my face and I just held Jake and managed to stay afloat. Once the sirens started getting closer I slowly swam to the shore and by the time I did the ambulance was there and so were the cops who were first responders in our town, which means they are always the first to respond to a 911 call. A man and a women jumped out of the back of the ambulance, the woman had her long brown hair pulled back and the man was a bit bulky but still very fast. They put him on a stretcher and put him in the back of the ambulance.

They officers then start walking toward me and say they need to ask me questions in order to fill out a responder sheet. I recognize one of the officers, he’s about Jakes age and it suddenly comes to me. He’s the one who brought Jake home that night he was caught drinking. Jake called him Officer Laneson, and he talked about how his dad was training him to be a cop since high school. I looked back at the ambulance and they were shutting the back doors. I told them sorry but they’d have to find me at the hospital and that I was sure I’d be there a lot.
I didn’t wait for a reply from either officer; instead I ran back to Jake’s truck and picked up the keys from the front seat cup holder. Jake starting leaving his keys in the car after he’d lost them at the Lake and we spent hours looking for them. I almost couldn’t put they keys in the ignition because my hand were shaking so bad, I doubt I could drive but nobody could keep me from seeing my brother. Tears started to feel my eyes as I fumbled over and over with the keys. After trying several times I finally sat still. I saw someone comeing toward the truck and saw that it was officer Laneson again. He was jogging to the truck and he opened the drivers door.
“Scoot over” He says
“What?” I say, already confused as it is.
“We’re going to the hospital, but let me drive okay, you’re really shaken up.” I stared at him for a second and once I processed what he was saying I handed him the keys and moved to my official seat. Unlike me he easily put his keys in the ignition and started the truck up. I stared at the moon the entire way to the hospital because it seemed like It never left my sight, and even though it wasn’t as bright as the sun, it was bright enough to light the world up. Once we were at the hospital I was out of the truck before it stopped moving. I ran like I never had before, not even in tennis, and I run very hard there. Once I reached the entrance of the ER ward I searched to find the front desk and asked for Jake. I middle aged woman with brown wavy hair typed on her computer and kindly said the room number was 306. I was just about to run through the doors when I saw officer Laneson jogging to catch up. I decided to pause for a second to wait for him. Once he was through the doors he waved me to go back to see Jake and then I was off again searching for the room.

The halls were wide and there were so many rooms with wooden doors. Most of the doors were open and I saw elderly couples and Some teenager in a cast and another woman who was coughing quite loudly. I followed the signs in the hallway to finally reach Jakes room. Right when I reached it I saw the number 306 and I was suddenly very scared. I wasn’t sure I was ready to see Jake, but I knew I had to. I had to see my brother. My hands found the doorknob and slowly pushed the door open. There was a woman with long light red hair in a ponytail and green scrubs. Her back was toward me but she turned around when she heard the door open and asked politely who I was. My mouth didn’t want to open and my throat was not making any sound. After a few seconds my voice made out the words “I’m his sister, Lacy.”

My eyes fell away from the redhead and searched for Jake and I spotted him less than a second later. He was very pale and had a tube down his throat with wires on his chest and beeping machines beside the hospital bed. He also had a brace around his neck and back and bandages around his head. He looked so beat up and tears started rolling down my face. I moved toward him and just stared at him for a while when the redhead’s voice interrupted me again. “Would you like to sit down?” She offered and I nodded my head in response. She moved a wooden chair with a padded seat toward the bed and then left the room. I sat down and stared at Jake some more and ears started running down my face as I tried to think of a good reason why he wanted to do this. I was pulled from my thoughts once again as the red head walked back through the door with a box of Kleenex and a cup of water that she handed to me. She walked to the other side of Jakes bed and pulled the chart out again.
“My name is Dr. Haven. I have to say, It’s a miracle that he isn’t dead. Which gives us the chance that he can still live.” She said looking up and smiling
“Lacy.” I said not taking my eyes off of Jake.
“Lacy, your brother Jake is unconscious and we are going to put him in a type of coma to help his system to calm down. He should be awake in a few days and tomorrow we will do a scan to see if he has any trauma in his brain. If you need anything the nurses and I would be glad to help you. Do you have any questions?”
“Um what’s a CT scan?” I ask. My eyes suddenly dart up.
“A CT scan is a medical imaging procedure of the head. We would lay your brother down and have him go through a tunnel. We use CT scans to look at the head and brain to make sure there is no hemorrhaging or bone trauma.”
“Okay.” I say and look back at Jake
“I’ll be Jakes doctor and if you need anything at all just press the button here or use the phone to call the desk. A nurse or I will be in to help.” I nod and she leaves the room with the door closing behind her.

I wake up with my head on the edge of the hospital bed. I look around and see Jake with the tubes down his throat and the braces on his body. I quickly sit up in the chair I’m in, surprised that I fell asleep. There’s a clock on the edge of Jakes bed that says it’s 6:15am. I’m clueless about how I fell asleep but It was only for about four hours. That should keep me going for a few days. I decide to get something to snack on so I quietly stand up and go out the door.

I need to go back to the truck so I can get some money for cafeteria food. I go back through the doors to the lobby of the hospital and see officer Laneson asleep in a chair. I couldn’t believe he was still here. I go over and gently put a hand on his shoulder.

“Officer Laneson.” I whisper a couple of times before he finally wakes up. He blinks a few times then looks at me.
“Hi.” He answers
“Hello. Officer Laneson it’s 6 in the morning. Have you been here all night?”
“I think so” he replies “How’s your brother doing?”
“Well they put him in a state to where his systems can calm down and they should be doing a CT scan today. I’m just about to get my bag from the truck and get some breakfast, want to come?”
“Sure, a little coffee could do me good.” He smiles and gets up from the chair then stretches. I start to the doors and he falls in step behind me.

Once back inside we head toward the cafeteria with the directions the same lady at the desk gave me. It’s not very full since it’s pretty early in the morning, but there is a few people sitting around. I head toward coffee and get myself and officer Laneson a cup. I look at the options of breakfast and grab a bowl of Jell-O. I don’t always eat in the morning so I’m not very hungry. We get to the checkout and then find a seat by the windows.

“Thank you for driving me last night Officer Laneson, I probably would’ve gotten in a wreck if you hadn’t helped me.” I take a drink of my coffee
“You’re very welcome. I remember your brother in school. He was an awesome guy, really nice and good at football. And call me Keith.”
“He is an amazing guy, and an even better brother.” I say as I look out the window. There are several cars on the streets this morning despite it being so early. “I’m Lacy by the way.”

JustAnotherDay. said...
PLEASE keep writing this. It's amazing and in a way that I can't explain it hits home.

Photographywonder replied...
Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:38 am :
Thank you :) I actually have a few chapters done and I'll post them :)