One of Them

Author's note: I'm writing this with my best friend, SoffyWaffles17. We started this about eight months ago,...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I'm writing this with my best friend, SoffyWaffles17. We started this about eight months ago, when we were writing contest entries for the Hunger Games Premiere Contest, and we put ideas together and came up with this. I put this up a couple months ago, but then took it down. Hope you guys like the new and improved version!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Lizzie

“Okay. ‘Fessing time! WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT!?” I scream at Beck.
He winces, like the words were a physical threat. “Um….a really good costume?” he offers. I give him a dark look. I know what’s happening; I just don’t want it to be true. And I have to keep up appearances, so I look like I don’t know what’s going on. I’ve lived with my secret for almost six years; why did it take them the Order this long? Wait. Is…….. Beck part of the Order?
“Okay, okay. So maybe that’s not it, but if I told you, I’d have to kill you,” he says. My blood runs cold. I remember what he said to that vampire in the alley. He……. he must be part of the Order. But why is a vamp working with the Order, anyways? And why is BECK working with the Order? Oh, God and hell, both DAMNIT! This explains everything! I can’t trust Beck. Not anymore. But I’m pretty sure he hasn’t figured out my secret yet. Why else would he have let me go? He thinks I’m human. So I have an advantage there. I feel a twinge of sadness. We were best friends! But we came from entirely different worlds. I need to harden my heart. The past is behind us. I can’t change the fact that the Order got their claws in Beck. But, tonight……… I don’t know what it was………… but despite me having to get away from Beck, and leaving him behind……. I think I’m falling back in love with the person charged with the task of killing me.

Beck
Once I bring Lizzie back to her house, I double check that she locks all the doors. I leave her house and hurry back to my own home. Then I think, Oh Shi– I’ve invited Lucas into my house before.
I hurry to my bedroom, but then see a light on in Kat’s room. I don’t think anything of it until I see a figure move besides her sleeping form. I carefully creep in under the cover of darkness. Her bed is bathed in shadows and I can't see much. Could I just have imagined the figure I saw next to her bed? I slink over to Kat's bed in a quick burst of motion. Hmmmmmmmm. No one. Maybe I'm just finally going crazy. I shrug my shoulders, and stroke Kat's hair for a second. She looks so happy, and peaceful.
I'm about to exit the room when I sense someone behind me. With a lightning fast motion, I snatch a pencil off of Kat's nightstand and whirl, stabbing my opponent, hoping to dear God that it's not Grandpa or Mom. Or, at least, try to stab. Lucas stands right in front of me, holding my pencil fast. Briskly, he twists my arm around and pulls upward behind my back, pinning my arm, using one of the Ten Maneuvers- Maneuver 3. I counter with Maneuver 6, thrusting my head back, hitting his. I jam my foot up and back to hit him in the sweet spot. He doesn't even falter. Letting me go and not looking at me, he clips me a good one in the face. I stagger slightly back, and wipe blood from my mouth.
“It's gonna take a lot more than a pencil to hurt me, Beck,” Lucas says.
“We are not going to fight right here, right now. I have my questions, and I have a really big impulse that's compelling me to kick your ass, but we do not endanger my sister, and if you or anyone else gives Kat so much as a scrape, I'll kill them.”
Lucas gives a dry chuckle. “Honestly? Do you really think that if I harm Kat, and you come after me, you will succeed in avenging her? You think you can hurt me? I've always beaten you in Training on the mats. And that was when I wasn't using my extra ability's. Now that you know what I am, do you think you can even succeed in touching me?” he says softly.
“Honestly, Lucas. You've known me all my life. How did you not tell me what you were? There is nothing wrong with being a half-breed.” I tell him. His expression darkens.
“Nothing wrong with me? Nothing wrong with me? Just listen to the name even! Half-breed. It even sounds pathetic. I'm a freak! I would never have been Head of the Order if not for this assignment! I didn’t get my father's position because I'm not just a Hunter. I'm not good enough to lead,” he mutters darkly. And then he smiles. “But I won't be just a freak. Not anymore. This girl, Elizabeth Balea- she's my ticket to being respected. I won't be just a lowly half-breed anymore. I will be good enough to take over the position that is rightfully mine, by birthright. Head Official. I need to assume this role, or generations of my family's ruling will be for nothing. If I don't complete this assignment, my father will hand off the right to lead to some lowly Hunter,” he scoffs.
“How is she going to save your position? She’s normal,” I argue. Again, Lucas laughs.
“Really, Beck? She’s normal? How did you figure that?” Struggling to think of an answer, I stutter. I mean, I don’t believe that she is Supoili. That would be....... impossible. No. I've known her too long; she isn't it. Lucas just believes this, I reassure myself.
"You are SO naive. But you can believe what you want. I will at least let you have that." he says. He turns to leave. "But know this. If you don't fulfill your duties as a Hunter, I will have to take care of you. You will be stripped of your title, and drained of your blood. And then we will recruit Kat. But, Beck, I don't want to do that. So, please, complete your mission."
Then, he is gone. Out Kat's open window.
"Jeez, he's gonna be a new problemo in my life." I whisper under my breath.

Lizzie
Before I can even begin to consider doing anything, I call Macy. While the phone rings, I fret, unsure whether or not it’s safe to let my guard down and sleep. Macy’s phone sends me to voicemail, and I groan. Pacing in my room, I try to figure out what to do. Unsure of pretty much everything, I weigh the option of going completely hardcore protection for the house. I mean, I don’t want to use a ton of essence, but I don’t feel safe. I decide to not set the spell around the house that kills anyone who comes near the front door, and instead settle for a little bit of warding around the house.
When I come back from going around the house, I call Macy again. There are times when you just need your best friend. And now is definitely one of those times. I dial the number again, and after five more rings, Macy finally picks up. Thank God.
“Yo, Lizzie, what’s up? Little early for a coffee run, don’t you think?” Macy says, sounding only slightly groggy for someone at 2:30 in the morning.
I forget to say anything while the truth of what I’m about to say to her sets in. No ones come close to discovering us since that one time with this dude Preston at the high school during freshman year and some bad nachos (It’s a really long story- let’s just say it involved him spilling nachos all over Sophie, and her, uh, dangerous side kind of popped out for a second, but it was dealt with easily. He wasn’t killed, though- and might I say, it came pretty darn close- and he had his memory wiped, and it was all fixed.) He wasn’t even a major threat- he just happened to be clumsy and Sophie happened to have broken up with her boyfriend that day so she was really angry and accidentally just took it out on him. But Beck and whatever he is involved in, it’s something entirely different. They know what they’re doing. They know all about us, and what we do. They know how to get to us.
They know how to kill us.
The only people who know how to fight us are the Order.
“Liz? You there?” Macy says, breaking the silence. “I feel like I’m facing impending doom.” she says, only half joking.
“They know.”
I can almost see Macy running a million different scenarios through her head right now. She might not know what I’m talking about, exactly. But then she realizes.
“Are you absolutely positive?” she says quietly. “Them? Why now? What are we going to do?” she says distraughtly. I don’t say anything, at a loss for words. How was I supposed to be the bringer of the news that our lives were about to be completely uprooted?
“Great. UGH! Why? Why do they always have to ruin our lives! Why?! It’s not fair!” she yells. I can hear her start to cry, and I feel horrible.
“I’ll explain everything in a bit. Don’t worry. I’ll be over in about five minutes. Mom, Dad, and Sarah are all at the hospital. They won’t know if I’m gone, seeing as they don’t come back home until later tonight.”
“Okay,” she sniffs. I hang up, and get dressed. I throw a box of tissues in my bag, and a bar of chocolate. Chocolate always makes Macy feel better, regardless of how bad our situation is. I smile, thinking fondly of the time when all we had to worry about was not finding chocolate for Macy during one of her mood swings. I shoulder my bag, and leave the house, shutting the door carefully and making sure all wards are in place.
I jog towards Macy’s house across the street, and throw a tennis ball I find in the front yard at her second story bedroom window. Macy opens her window, and motions for me to come up. I climb into the tree next to the house, and when at the top, jump from the tree to her window sill. Macy catches me, and pulls me to the floor. We happen to do this often, so we have a definite way for us to enter and leave certain rooms in the wee hours of the morning.
“Hey,” Macy sniffs. “Can you start explaining now? I’m not sure what’s going on, and that scares me.” I take a deep breath.
“What I’m about to tell you is very concerning, so I’m going to give you this right now.” I say firmly. I rummage through my bag and pull out the bar of chocolate. Macy’s eyes light up. “Now, suck it up, girl, and eat the freaking chocolate.”
“Is that Godiva?” she asks. I nod my head, and she makes a slight squealing sound. She holds out her hand slowly, and I place the chocolate in her outstretched hand. She quickly unwraps the top and takes a big bite. She groans in pleasure.
“This is just what I needed. I feel much calmer now. Now that I’m not on the verge of sobbing, everything needs to be explained.”
I nod slowly.
“Yeah, yeah they do. Last night, I… I was kidnapped. Sorta. By the Order. Beck… Beck’s in it. He was sent to abduct me and bring me to another Hunter, but he couldn’t do it once he saw the other guy, so he made me go with him but then let me go home and-” I start to say all in one breath. Macy holds up a trembling hand.
“Beck’s in the Order?” she whisper yells. I nod grimly. She mutters a swear under her breath. She looks at me gravely. “I don’t want you going near him again, do you hear me? It’s too dangerous for someone like y-” she trails off. “Just- stay away from him. He could kill you in a second- no, an instant.” she says firmly. I frown.
“No, I know how to protect myself. He couldn’t harm me that fast. I’d probably win, in fact!” I protest. Macy chuckles darkly.
“Lizzie, the fact that they ambushed you leads me to believe that they weren’t regular Hunters. I bet you they are two of the Seven. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have dared try to capture you.” And then she sits up straight, suddenly alarmed. “Wait- what did the other Hunter look like?” she asks.
“Short, blonde hair, super tall, built like Beck- and he had fangs. He was a half-breed.”
Macy hisses, her eyes slit and change to gold, her own fangs come out, and she jumps up, crouching on the bed.
“Lucas.” she seethes, lisping around her fangs, venom dripping off of his name. “He’s the Head of the Seven. He is extremely lethal. You are lucky you made it out with your life. “
“Well, actually… he kind of let me go.” I admit. Macy’s eyes narrow even further, and she cocks her head.
“What? Why would he let you go? He obviously has orders to kill you- why didn’t he?”
“I have no idea. Maybe he felt a tiny bit of remorse?”
“Liz, Lucas would never show any Supoili any type of mercy. Ever. He obviously has some plan for you. Or maybe he was influenced by something- or someone. But either way- you of all people should know that the Order doesn’t show mercy.”
I fall back on the bed, and look up at the ceiling.
“You’re right.” I admit. Macy snorts.
“Aren’t I always?” She teases, trying to lighten the mood. She changes the topic then.
“Okay, I’m pretty sure I was serious earlier when I called. I’m in desperate need of a coffee run…”

This book has 9 comments. Post your own now!

Midnight5765This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sounds promising. I just wish I knew what a Supoili is. Do you have a prequel out? Debt halfway paied. Good luck on your book!

Ms.PeytonLovesHP said...
Comment people! Rate too please! Tell em what you think, hehe! :)

SoggyWaffles17 said...
Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:54 am
Well, of course I love this! It's me, for Pete's sake, I wrote half of this! lol. Wonderful, as usual! Luv ya, Pop! ~Tart    

HarryPotterLover30 said...
People, COMMENT!!! Tell me what you think!!!!!!! Please!!!!

HarryPotterLover30 said...
So, hey. Had this up for a week or so already. Please. Need more comments/ratings. Typing more to put up now- please, help! I want this to be SEEN. It's too AWESOME to go unnoticed! READ!!!!!!!! :)

liveamongthestarsdieamongthepeople said...
  SOOO good:) I think the dialogue could use some work but i love the witty sarcasm and storyplot. Fantastic, add more!  

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
Thank you, I'm glad that you lie it! I should have more up soon!

HarryPotterLover30 said...
Okay! What yall think of it?! I like it- but tell me what you guys think. I will have more soon, I promise.

liveamongthestarsdieamongthepeople replied...