New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

One of Them

Author's note: I'm writing this with my best friend, SoffyWaffles17. We started this about eight months ago,...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I'm writing this with my best friend, SoffyWaffles17. We started this about eight months ago, when we were writing contest entries for the Hunger Games Premiere Contest, and we put ideas together and came up with this. I put this up a couple months ago, but then took it down. Hope you guys like the new and improved version!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Lizzy

After texting Beck, I run into the hospital room and tell Mom that I was heading out for a bit to get some air. She says sure, that it would be good to have time to ‘chill’. Her words, not mine.
I rush outside, happy to be able to finally get out of there. I still don’t know what I’m doing. Why? WHY? Why am I letting this escalate?
I took my time as I walked to Denny’s, until I got a text from Beck, saying “When r u gonna be here?” I check the time. 12:01. Past midnight by a minute. Then, to text Beck back, I look at the last text I sent him. I sent it at 11:30.
Oops. I told Beck that I’d be at Denny’s in ten minutes. And that was thirty- no; wait- thirty one minutes ago. I pick up my pace to a partial sprint, and when I finally reach Denny’s, no one was in sight.
The red lights on the window blink Open 24/7. I march inside, hands in my pockets. I read a sign that says, Please Wait to Be Seated. I wait to be seated.
While I’m waiting, I check my phone again, for any texts that I might have missed. I even poke my head outside, but the only thing I see is the lonely gray sidewalk and the occasional passing car.
Finally, after a while, when I come back inside, a heavyset older lady waitress with white hair asks me, “Table for one?”
“I guess so,” I reply.
But she leads me to a booth anyways.
White Hair walks away, and another, younger looking lady comes over, a three year old hanging on her leg.
“What would you like sweetie?” she asks in that voice that tells you that she’s nice, but too tired to really care at this point. I think for a second. Should I wait? Beck’s not here yet, obviously. I decide to just get a drink for now.
“Just a hot chocolate for now, with extra whipped cream,” I tell her. I wait a bit while she gets my drink. When she comes back ten minutes later with my hot chocolate, Beck is still a no show. Maybe it’s for the best, but…. despite myself, I still wanted to see him.
So where is he?

Beck

“I need you to explain to me. You orders were clear. Ten minutes, this alley. WHY didn’t you bring her to me, like I asked?! Damn it, Beck! Why can’t you just follow orders?” Lucas asks me angrily. I sigh. I don’t want to lose my job, but I just know that Lizzie’s innocent, that she isn’t one of them.
“She isn’t one of them, I’m telling you! She’s too kind.” I insist, and then Lucas’s face takes on an angry expression.
“I don’t care what you think!” Lucas nearly screams. “I will interrogate her, I will decide if she is one of them, and I will terminate her if she is. No questions asked!” His face is now an angry tomato color, which clashes horribly with his T-Shirt, and I’m afraid his head just might explode. He takes a menacing step closer, right up in my face, and stares me in the eye.
“If you don’t bring her to me, I will get her.” he threatens. “And if she’s not one of them, I will use the memory stick and ship her away from Oregon. So we can do this two ways. The easy way, or the hard way. If you don’t bring her to me by one, you’re fired. And then I’ll use the memory stick on you.” My face pales, and with that, Lucas disappears into the shadows. Great. I really made him mad now. And if I got fired now, they would just use Kat, and if she became an agent, she’d die in the first few days. I mean, Kat’s a tough little ten-year-old, but she is no match for, like, a werewulv, or a troll, or something. I sigh again and head to Denny’s.

Lizzie

As I take last my last sip of cocoa with no one sitting across from me (like Beck), I stand and go to the doors. It was for the best. I’m in way over my head. I shouldn’t be doing this, anyways.
“Sweetie! Sweetheart!” someone yells. “You forgot to pay!”
I smack my forehead and spin around. “Sorry,” I say, “I didn’t mean to. I just-“
“Mm-hum!” White Hair says.
Fine, I thought, be that way. One second she was calling me sweetheart, and the next she’s acting like I’m some snooty teen.
Well, mm-hum to you too!
I pull out some money from my pocket and hand it to White Hair. I turn and walk out the doors. I walk quickly down the sidewalk because the first chill of winter is starting to set in, and already I can see my breath in the air. When I try to turn the corner, I have to stop in mid-step, almost running into someone.

Beck.

“Hey,” he says.
I look down at my feet. “Hi,”
“What’s up?” he asks.
I sigh, a deep one layered with all kinds of bored-ness and weary-ness. “I was just waiting, for, you know, like an hour and a half.”
“Sorry about that. I-“
“No. You texted me at midnight asking where I was, when I should have been asking you that. Now it’s 1:15 and I’m leaving,” I say.
“Damn it. It’s 1:15?” I hear him whisper.
“Um, yeah,” I tell him, turning back to him.
“Lizzie, I need you to do something for me,”
Lizzie
“So let me get this straight. You want me to act like you kidnapped me? Like, legit kidnapping?” I ask. I get a cold feeling of dread. Why did I have to do this? What good, reasonable explanation did this all have? Something like this- it can’t be good.
“ Well, yes. Technically. But, I mean, no- I don’t know. I just need you to act all scared in the beginning-“
I cut him off.
“I need a very plausible explanation for all of this. Honestly, Beck. I don’t know if this is such a good idea.”
“Please, Liz. It’s for your own safety.”
“How in the world could this be for my safety?”
“Don’t you trust me?”
“No.” I say bluntly.
He looks hurt at this, and I somewhat start to feel bad.
I sigh. “Fine. But let me call my parents first.” Beck nods, and I pull out my phone. Sarah picks up.
“Hey, Liz. Where are ya?” she asks.
I reply, “I’m gonna be a little late tonight. I have to help a friend out.”
“Oh, come on, Lizzie. You’re my sister, I know you. What are you really doing?” she says accusingly.
“I really do have to help a friend out, Sarah.” I say, trying to be convincing. After all, I am telling the truth.
“If you say so. I wasn’t born yesterday, Princess.”
And ending with that, Sarah hangs up. I feel a bit puzzled. Princess? Sarah’s called me that before, but it’s not a term of endearment for her. Usually, whenever she calls me that, she quickly corrects herself. That’s so weird. Why do people keep calling me princess? And it’s not like they call me anything else. There is no ‘sweetie’, or ‘honeybunch’, or ‘angel’. Sure, Mom and Dad call me that, but nobody else does calls me anything besides ‘princess’. Come to think of it, Macy, Sophie, and Bailey have all called me that before, but when I ask them about they just say, ‘oh, I just meant to say something else.’ But, whatever.
I put my phone in my pocket and look at Beck.
“What now?”

Beck

I carry Lizzie, her head tipped back, acting like she was knocked out, to the alley.
“Lucas?” I whisper.
He comes out of the shadows. “Ah. How nice of you. Bring her unconscious.” he says sarcastically. I shrug it off, and then I set her down gently on the cool ground, legs first, then her head, oh so delicately. “So what do we do now?”
“Now, we have to wait until she wakes up. Thanks to you, no less.” he says.
I sit across from Lizzie, my back against the slightly grimy alley wall. Just another normal mission on yet another normal day in the Order. “Then let’s wait,”
“I’ll be right back. I need to get some equipment for the process of interrogation,” Lucas says, turning and walking back into the darkness. Equipment?
“How much longer?”
Her whisper is so quiet I’m not even sure I hear it. But I answer. “When he comes back, gasp and wake up……..or, not, actually. Get up and run. Now. This was a bad idea. I don’t know what I was thinking. I’ll pretend that you disabled me. Go! Now! You might get hurt. Call me when you are okay, got it?” I demand.
I help Lizzie up quickly and she runs. Hard. She almost has inhuman speed. I fall to the floor and clutch my stomach, pretending that she had just decked me after I see that she has made it around the corner. I groan to give a little more effect to my charade. I am a pretty good actor, if I do say so myself.
“Beck Mazly!” Lucas yells. I cringe a little, but still lay on the ground in mock pain.
“Yes?” I wheeze.
“Where is the Princess?” he booms, striding towards me.
“I don’t know. She suddenly just jumped up and punched me a good one in the stomach, and ran away.” I lie. He gets extremely close to me and points at me with a shaking finger at me.
“You better not lie to me right now. And I know you’re faking that you’re hurt,” he says quietly. “You do know that I can kill her anytime that I want, whether she is one of them or not?”
I blink at him. With what? How? “You’re just gonna walk up to her and commit homicide? That’d be nice in the newspaper. ‘Eighteen year old boy kills innocent high schooler’. I can see it in the papers now.”
“No. Not that way.”
At the blink of an eye, Lucas is gone. I wonder if he’s is going after her. I get up from the ground quickly, and then I hear her scream. I run immediately.
“Let me go,” I hear her scream at Lucas.
“Lucas, leave her alone,” I yell around the corner.
I can see her flail wildly against Lucas’s arms. Lucas looks down at her, sharp teeth that I never noticed before bared close to her neck.
“I’ll let you go this time, Princess,” He throws her to the ground.
I grab her and move her away quickly, shielding her with my body.
“Are you okay?” I ask. She nods. I check her neck to make sure that she really is okay. I look up to face Lucas and his strangely sharp teeth, but he is gone, to who knows where. I’m not sure where he went, but I am sure I just saw Lucas as something I thought he dedicated his life to ridding the world of, primarily killing them.
A vampire.

Midnight5765This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sounds promising. I just wish I knew what a Supoili is. Do you have a prequel out? Debt halfway paied. Good luck on your book!

Ms.PeytonLovesHPThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Comment people! Rate too please! Tell em what you think, hehe! :)

SoggyWaffles17 said...
Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:54 am:
Well, of course I love this! It's me, for Pete's sake, I wrote half of this! lol. Wonderful, as usual! Luv ya, Pop! ~Tart    

HarryPotterLover30This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
People, COMMENT!!! Tell me what you think!!!!!!! Please!!!!

So, hey. Had this up for a week or so already. Please. Need more comments/ratings. Typing more to put up now- please, help! I want this to be SEEN. It's too AWESOME to go unnoticed! READ!!!!!!!! :)

liveamongthestarsdieamongthepeople said...
  SOOO good:) I think the dialogue could use some work but i love the witty sarcasm and storyplot. Fantastic, add more!  

HarryPotterLover30This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm :
Thank you, I'm glad that you lie it! I should have more up soon!

Okay! What yall think of it?! I like it- but tell me what you guys think. I will have more soon, I promise.

liveamongthestarsdieamongthepeople replied...
Sept. 22, 2012 at 8:36 pm :