One of Them

Author's note: I'm writing this with my best friend, SoffyWaffles17. We started this about eight months ago,...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I'm writing this with my best friend, SoffyWaffles17. We started this about eight months ago, when we were writing contest entries for the Hunger Games Premiere Contest, and we put ideas together and came up with this. I put this up a couple months ago, but then took it down. Hope you guys like the new and improved version!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Lizzie

“Wow, Lizzie! You look great!” Mom proclaims as I walk into the living room in my sparkly purple dress, silver heels, and black clutch, with my long light brown-almost blonde hair curled around my midsection. I also have a recently acquired half-face mask on. I smile at her compliment, revealing my perfectly straight white teeth.
I had spent hours before picking out my outfit. I mean, just because it’s a little Halloween dance doesn’t mean I can’t dress up nice for it. I don’t know about other people, but in my little town, Shatbury Falls, what are the definitions of ‘little dance’ for some people are actually a big thing for my high school, Shatbury High.
“Thanks,” I reply, twirling.
“Whoa, Lizzie! I love your dress!” Dad exclaims, popping a grape into his mouth, coming into the living room from the kitchen.
“Yeah, Lizzies so cute. Lizzie's this. Lizzie’s that. I remember going to the Halloween dance. It sucks. It’s no fun. You walk around in a foggy gym, drink punch, and eat nasty bat-shaped cookies. And the music’s not all that great.” my older sister Sarah says, lying on the couch, her thick, white socks propped up in the air.
“Be quiet, Sarah. Your sister is going to have a great time with her friends, and maybe even with a boy.” Mom says, jutting out her hip and bumping it into mine. I giggle.
“I am going to have a great time with my friends, but I’m not sure about a boy,” I say, with a weak smile.
“Oh, yes you will honey, because you will make boys go bonkers,” she grabs a scarf off the rack and flings it around my neck. “You look beautiful.”
“Thank you, Mom.”
“You’re very welcome. Now, come on. You don’t want to be late, do you?” I shake my head. Mom kisses me on the cheek, I say goodbye, and Dad leads me outside. The stars were just starting to come out, and the air was cold and misty. It was a perfect night for Halloween.
Perfect night for monsters, too, I think to myself.
My friends show up a moment later, Macy’s stereo blaring her crazy heavy metal music, the current band of her interest, playing on loop, which, strangely, went with her car, which was decorated with fake spider webs and spiders, witch’s hats, and broomsticks.
I quickly kiss Dad’s stubbly cheek, and fled to my slightly strange friends.

Beck

I pull on my black tuxedo jacket, and get ready to leave.
“Bye, Kat,” I say to my twelve-year old sister.
“Bye, Beck! Have fun with your girlfriend! Oh, wait, you don’t have one!” she teases. I walk over and start to tickle her.
“That’s right. I don’t have a girlfriend.” I say good-naturedly. Unfortunately. I walk out the front door that I recently painted this summer, leaving Kat laughing in front of the TV watching SpongeBob. I get onto the street, going at a brisk walk, and wish for the millionth time that Mom would let me borrow her car.
“Cause, you know, it’s not like I’m almost seventeen and a half, got my license a year and a half ago, and I have a job to get to, you know, cause that would be just crazy!” I mutter sarcastically to myself.
Okay, okay, maybe Mom doesn’t know about the job, but still! I put my hands in my slack’s pockets, watching my breath as it came out my nose, fogging up the air in little white circles.
“Yo, Beck! Come ‘ere!” says a voice coming from the alley to my left.
I see bright blonde hair, blue eyes, a neon pink T-shirt, and white jeans, a gothic overcoat hanging off his shoulders.
Lucas. Great. Just what I need.
I hobbled over and let my eyes adjust to the darkness of the hidden street.
“What?” I ask impatiently.
“You know what to do, right?”
“About what?”
“The girl. Look, there she is.” He points to a group of fairly pretty girls driving in a crazy looking Halloween-decorated car. Instantly, I know which girl he’s talking about. Lizzie. The really, really beautiful one that I was best friends with until eighth grade, when I joined the Order. I haven’t talked to her since. She hasn’t talked to me. It was strange. I guess that I turned quieter, became a little weird. But that was also around the time she became kind of distant with everyone besides her closest friends. Lucas continues his speech, oblivious to my wandering thoughts.
“She looks so innocent with her friends, laughing, talking. But she’s guilty. I know it. And you need to bring her to us.”
“To headquarters?” I say incredulously, shifting my weight from foot to foot to keep warm. He looks at me like I had just grown a second head.
“No! Are you crazy? Bring her here. To this specific alley. Alright? Do you understand me?”
“But- but- why her? She didn’t do anything.”
“She- ugh! Don’t you ever listen? We have evidence that she might be one of them.”
“One of whom? And what evidence?”
“You’re a dumbass! She is one of the creatures who are trying to wipe out humans. Kill us. All of us. And I can’t tell you what evidence. It’s top secret. ”
“There is absolutely no way that she is one of them! She is completely innocent!”
“We’ll find that out tonight. Now go. They’re gone.” he says.
Wow.…. It took you that long to figure that out? I thought silently to myself. Lucas melts into the shadows, and I slowly walk away.
I shove my hands in my pockets. That’s… not right, on so many levels. Lizzie’s not Supoili. There is absolutely no freaking way that is possible.
And… something was off with Lucas tonight. I get the “They are trying to kill us, they aren’t safe, blah, blah, blah” speech all the time, but tonight… something’s different. He lacks… conviction. Like he isn’t as enthusiastic. Lucas is no cheerleader, don’t get me wrong, but usually he sounds more convincing. But, I mean, maybe that’s all just in my head.
I pull out my iPhone and check the time. 7:51. I pick up my pace, and soon, I’m running.

Lizzie

“Here we are, Liz. C’mon. You look great!” Macy yells. Sophie and Bailey pull me in through the curtains and into the gym. I laugh and we all rush to the dance floor as fast as we can in our heels.
I'm holding Macys hands and am dancing/jumping when I see a guy come in through the flimsy black curtains. I stare at him because he seems so familiar. He locks his brown eyes with my blue ones for a moment, and then he breaks our gaze, and walks away.
Macy, curiously, looks from me to him.
“Who’s that, Liz?” she asks. I then remember just who that guy was. Memories flood through me. Beck. Beck Mazly. How I could have forgotten him is beyond me. He was my best friend until eighth grade. We had done everything together. And then, I guess, we just grew apart.
Okay, that’s not true. I pushed him away. I had to. It was either that, or have him killed. I didn’t want him to die, so I separated myself. He was too close to me. He would have found out eventually, and he’s human. Humans can’t know about who I am. Whenever they do- people die.
“Just an old friend,” I tell her. She shrugs. Obviously, she doesn’t recognize him. He does look a lot different, I’ll give her that. I shake my head, and we get back to the floor, and all thoughts of seriousness and Beck and Supoili disappear as I lose myself in the intoxicating, pulsing beat of the music.
Once we all get tired, we walk over to the spider web covered snack table. I pick up a bat-shaped sugar cookie (like Sarah said there would be) and a paper cup full of blood-red fruit punch. I bite delicately into the cookie. Well, as delicately as possible when you are wearing fishnet gloves and heavy lipstick. I’m in a better mood, but I can’t shake off the feeling that something bad is going to happen. I look at Macy, and she is staring at me openly with a distinct puzzled expression on her face. Her eyes glow a little, the iris tinted gold. I point to her eyes, and she whips a pair of contacts, and she pops them in, turning her eyes violet.
“Really? Is violet much better?” I say sarcastically. She shrugs.
“That way if people ask, I can tell them they are contacts and show them. DUH.” I roll my eyes at her.
“So, who was he really, Ms. Avoiding-The-Topic?”” Macy asks while popping a piece of butter soaked popcorn into her glossy lipped mouth. I take a sip of the punch, delaying my answer for as long as possible.
“I told you. Just an old friend,”
“Just an old friend, eh? Those looks told me otherwise...” she trails off, pausing a second.
“Wait. A. Mother. Duckling. Second. Dark blonde hair, brown eyes, tall, lanky-,” she counts the factors off her fingers. “Is this a certain…. Beck Mazly?” she says. She’s finally put the pieces together. Unfortunately.
“Yes,” I sigh, leaning against a wall.
“Oh, crap, dude! Weren’t you in love with him, since, like, birth? And then the mentor-ator made you stop seeing him? Oh, tough cookies, man! I feel for you, especially now that he’s looking so fine now. He doesn’t look like a nerd anymore!” she giggles. I blush.
“Shut UP, Macy! That time is well behind me, you know that. Even if I was allowed to talk to him, that wouldn’t be the case. I haven’t talked to him in like four years. You can’t stay in love with someone when you go through that!”
“Don’t blush! He’s a-looking!” Bailey announces, which made me blush even more. I could feel a hot gaze on me, probably his. I whip my head to the side, oh so not subtle, and look over my shoulder. I see Beck staring at me again. He quickly looks away.
“Oh, yeah... He’s also in my English… and Science… and History classes.” I remember sheepishly, feeling stupid for not thinking about it.
“He is in three of your classes, and you don’t recognize him until now?” Sophie asks me, sounding surprised.
“Well, he’s quiet. Keeps to himself,” I shrug.
“Oh. Well that’s unfortunate. Anyways, changing the subject, want to dance again?” I shake my head. “Want to eat another cookie?”
“Hell to the no. They taste like cardboard dipped in tie-dyed sugar!” I shudder in disgust.
“Want to ask Beck over there if he wants to dance?” Macy suggests innocently.
“No! You know I can’t!” I say, putting my hand on Macy’s arm.
“Why not? He can’t keep his eyes off you!” Bailey says.
“You know very well why I can’t!” I tell her stiffly.
“It’s true,” Sophie adds. I shoot her my death glare, and she cowers.
“Ohhh, look who is coming over here!” Macy whispers squeakily. Macy, Sophie, and Bailey all grab something from the table, and walk away.
“Wha-” I start, seething. I can’t do this right now! The Elders on the Council would kill me if they found out I reestablished contact with Beck! Plus, my mentor would bring me back to life and strangle me to death again!
“Hi,” says a voice from behind me. I whirl around.
“Hi” I return, scratching the edge of the ruffled, old, orange table cloth, avoiding eye contact. Maybe if I show disinterest, he will leave.
“Like the dance?”
“Yeah. It’s good I guess. You?”
“It’s alright. I mean, some stuff is a little overdone.”
“I know.”
“Totally…Hey, do you…want to dance with me?” he says shyly. Oh, no. I can’t! Well…… and then an idea pops into my head. Maybe if I dance with him once, he will go away.
“Oh, uh, sure.” I say. He grabs my hand, and pulls me onto the dance floor. A slow song starts, and I inwardly groan. He might start to talk about what happened in the eighth grade! THIS IS NOT GOOD. I can't tell him what REALLY happened; that I was given the choice of never seeing him again, or him being killed. Hell, I shouldn't be looking at him! He was too close- he would have found out eventually what I am, and humans can't know. Whenever they do- people die. I can't encourage him into thinking that I want to reestablish contact. Please, PLEASE, let him not speak of the eighth grade.......
No. I shake my head. I can have this one night- it's not fair I had to give up my best friend in the entire world. So I WILL have tonight.
So, once again, I lose myself in the music. But I lose myself in the arms of the one I was supposed to forget.

Midnight5765This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sounds promising. I just wish I knew what a Supoili is. Do you have a prequel out? Debt halfway paied. Good luck on your book!

Ms.PeytonLovesHP said...
Comment people! Rate too please! Tell em what you think, hehe! :)

SoggyWaffles17 said...
Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:54 am:
Well, of course I love this! It's me, for Pete's sake, I wrote half of this! lol. Wonderful, as usual! Luv ya, Pop! ~Tart    

HarryPotterLover30 said...
People, COMMENT!!! Tell me what you think!!!!!!! Please!!!!

HarryPotterLover30 said...
So, hey. Had this up for a week or so already. Please. Need more comments/ratings. Typing more to put up now- please, help! I want this to be SEEN. It's too AWESOME to go unnoticed! READ!!!!!!!! :)

liveamongthestarsdieamongthepeople said...
  SOOO good:) I think the dialogue could use some work but i love the witty sarcasm and storyplot. Fantastic, add more!  

HarryPotterLover30 replied...
Sept. 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm :
Thank you, I'm glad that you lie it! I should have more up soon!

HarryPotterLover30 said...
Okay! What yall think of it?! I like it- but tell me what you guys think. I will have more soon, I promise.

liveamongthestarsdieamongthepeople replied...
Sept. 22, 2012 at 8:36 pm :