Leaves

Author's note: The inspiration for this novelette was my mother's childhood. She grew up in a small town. When...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: The inspiration for this novelette was my mother's childhood. She grew up in a small town. When we would visit in the Autumn, I was enchanted with the colors. I also knew that small towns have secrets, so I wrote a secret big enough for a group of innocent kids to enjoy; one that they could keep.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Prologue

Autumn and I always had a love hate relationship. In the beginning, the leaves: red, orange, yellow, and golden brown fluttered to the damp ground in such a delicate way that it was as if they were putting on a dance recital. Not only was the fantastic array of colors breathtaking, but the weather was gorgeous. It was so beautiful in fact that on some days, it could almost grasp the inhuman quality of perfection. Anyone could feel unstoppable, for the days were anything but monotonous. Happiness became the sound of school buses and racing to be the first out of the school building. But on the other hand, there was the drag of Fall’s end. There was the muddy ground making the leaves stick to my sneakers and wind tugging at my curly brown hair, twisting it in knots. As the season that represented the start of a new school year where anything could happen suddenly begins to draw to a close, people begin to change just as the leaves once did. It truly begins to sink in that school work is not easy; you have to try hard to get above average grades. Exceeding others’ expectations only happens if you can first exceed your own. Slowly, we are all thrust down the long winding road that is the school year, and the season fades into a winter wonderland, then a warm spring, followed by a sweltering summer, as the cycle repeats every year.
We sprinted down the smooth black road and through the muddy trail in the woods, staining our bare feet as we went. The leaves fell softly, getting tangled in our hair and crumbling between our toes. If you thought unstoppable was unreachable think again, for then you didn’t see us. Noa, Ryan, and I were the very definition of “free” and just the sound of the word left its permanent ring in our ears. It was the last day of summer, the day before we entered the appropriately named “shark infested waters” of middle school, and we didn’t know it yet, but it was also one of the last days of our friendship. The expression, “it feels like it was just yesterday,” did not even cut it. In fact, I can still smell Noa’s apple shampoo from when her blond hair caught the breeze and sometimes, if I listen carefully enough, I can hear Ryan laughing sarcastically at my terrible jokes.
“Can we stop,” Ryan panted, almost choking, “I need some rest.” He stumbled over to a rusty old bench, tripping over his own feet.
“You okay, Ry?” Noa snorted, as she pat him on the back, her breathing just as heavy. We all sat on the cold bench giggling for a while from pure exhaustion before eventually, for the first time in years, there was complete silence. That was when Ryan broke down in tears. No, he didn’t just break down. Ryan, courageous, adventurous, strong, and colorful, was hysterical. Noa, who was at the time peeling the lead paint off the bench to occupy herself during the awkward pause, gave me an unforgettable sisterly look that pulled at my heartstrings, as we both put our arms around him and started tearing up as well. We did not need to speak, a glance was the only thing necessary for us to just know. Our eyes, all red and puffy from crying, said what we were always afraid that we would have to say. Noa’s green eyes, Ryan’s blue, and my hazel, all sobbed the same heartbreaking phrase: “goodbye”. At that we went our separate ways. Now any reasonable person would ask “why?” Why couldn’t you stay friends? The answer to that is plain and simple. For years, we knew this day would come, and as we made new friends over those years, we knew that once when we were all in the same school, there was no way in hell that the popular girl, the jock, and the quiet A-plus student would ever be accepted as friends. Just like the leaves in Autumn, my friends were changing, and though I was too stubborn to accept it, I was changing too.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

This book has 5 comments. Post your own now!

Allicat001 said...
This is really good, and the imagery you worked into this piece was great!  There were a few grammatical mistakes, but nothing major.  Great job!

Pretentious Pickle said...
I liked it a lot. I did have one problem, though. The transition between feeling no love and liking Sean was pretty quick. I thought all along she would go for Ryan. If you could throw some more comments or thoughts about Sean earlier than in that one spot, I would like it even more. Maybe you could give a whole chapter about her internal conflict about asking Sean out, which is resolved by Sean texting her first. Fix some of the grammar, and you can go higher. Keep writing! By the way, I'm ... (more »)

Queen_Of_Fiction said...
Okay, so the first thing I noticed is that you didn't capitalize the first words in people's dialogue. I know that sometimes it isn't necessary, but, the times where it was necessary, you didn't do it. That really will distract a reader sometimes because they'll be so focused on what's wrong.   However, I myself found  Everleigh to be a very relatable character. I know what it's like to watch friends change before your very eyes. I... (more »)

leavesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
It's funny- I went back and tried to edit as much as I could and completely skipped editing the dialogue! Anyways, your feedback really helped. Thanks a lot! 

leavesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 1, 2012 at 9:07 am
Author's note: I wrote this novelette during 7th grade so I am aware that there are some some grammar mistakes. Also, some may seem a little skeptical of having such a strong relationship in the first year of middleschool which is usually 5th or 6th grade. To address those skeptics: 1. In my town, middle school is only 7th and 8th grade so I made the school in my novelette the same 2. The kids in "Leaves" had to grow up fast for reasons that you may read in a later chapter. It is unfortunate for... (more »)