The Engagement

Author's note: To Jason: my inspiration for this novel.
Author's note: To Jason: my inspiration for this novel.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

When I escaped from the overcrowded, booming gymnasium where the dance took place, I could finally hear myself think. Alone, I decided to walk to the church. As I entered the room, I was captivated by the glittering mosaics that masked the walls and ceiling. It was serene; something I could not find inside of the party where I felt as out of place as an oasis in the desert. The presence of God filled my heart as I closed my eyes and imagined only the perfection of the church.
Suddenly, I heard a creak and unexpected warmth filled the empty seat next to me in the pew. I opened my eyes to look right into Peter’s sparkling aquamarine ones.
“Hi,” I said, breathing sort of heavily as I broke our five-second hold. After so many years of the silent game we had been playing, I was talking to him. For real. And it almost felt as though we had always known each other, but we only spoken with our eyes and smiles. Now that the moment arrived, I wanted nothing more than to stay there forever.
“Hello,” he answered and grinned. “I thought it was a little loud in there, too.”
With a laugh, I shook my head. I looked back into his eyes for a quick moment and then went back to staring at the floor. My cheeks felt rosy, and without a doubt, Peter noticed.
“So . . . you’re Christina?”
“Yeah . . . and you’re Peter, right?” I said quietly. For the first time, his name tasted foreign to my lips. We’d always known each other’s name. Yet here we were, introducing ourselves as though we’d never known the other existed. Until now.
“You’re a senior right?” he asked.
“Yep, I’m seventeen.” My heart pounded so rapidly inside of my chest, I feared that at any moment, it would burst.
It was silent again as we sat there. I couldn’t believe that we’d let so many years go by. In a few weeks, youth group would be over with. Then, we would be moving away for college. I wished that he’d said something sooner.
“Can I ask you a question?” he said suddenly, breaking the awkward silence that hung in the air.
“Could I . . .,” he trailed. “Could I . . .”
“Go ahead . . . could you what?”
He laughed with a slight nervousness. He took a deep breath and began again.
“Could I kiss you?”
My mind raced, and I finally received the answer I was looking for.
“Maybe,” I said. And before he could say anything more, I kissed his cheek, and walked out of the church, back to the loud party in the gym. With a sense of sadness lingering in my mind, I knew I would never see him again.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »