Heartbreaker

Author's note: For Laura. And Amy. And Staci. And Lacee.
Author's note: For Laura. And Amy. And Staci. And Lacee.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Part Three

Besides that fact, I did indeed graduate from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelors in English. To celebrate, Madeline and I drove all the way to Taylors Falls with our close friends who specialized in rock climbing and for the whole day we rock climbed. Madeline was quite scared a lot of the time, and I helped her get over her fear by yelling constructive things at her. After that, we drove up to Stillwater and we went to a smoothie shop in that town before we went swimming in a lake that was about ten minutes outside of town. We got back to my apartment at about ten thirty that night, and I decided to let Madeline sleep over. We were to stay pure until marriage, so I wasn’t going to break it. In twenty ten, our dating became much more serious. That would be a milder way to put it. Instead of going mini golfing, or eating at Wendy’s, we would go on long walks by the Mississippi in downtown Minneapolis before watching a play at the Guthrie Theatre or we would wait in line to go to Tuscany’s and have a fifty dollar meal between the two of this. In the fall of twenty ten, I decided I would do some work to get a master’s in psychology. Madeline really respected my choices, and I respected her choices. She got a Bachelor’s in Music, specializing in Choir Music and got a job at a private Christian School in Maple Grove called Heritage Christian Academy. During the fall of that year, I decided to look for a new church, with Madeline pressuring me, so I asked a couple of friends and they recommended me to go to Brooklyn Park Evangelical Free Church. I remember that my late client, Shawn, went to that church when he was still living. Madeline and I went there and I could see that she enjoyed it, but I myself didn’t. The theology of the pastor was quite strange, and was far too fundamental for my taste. I didn’t want to continue to go to the church, but Madeline did, so I decided to respect her wishes. I was twenty three and not having much fun or having any emotional or memorable times. Over the next few months, I was becoming more and more depressed. At some point in December, I went into my own medical cabinet and took out four full bottles of Advil and Tylenol and spent the next hour swallowing over one hundred and fifty capsules. By the grace of God, Madeline knocked on my door and opened it with the hidden key and saw me sitting on my couch knocked out with a pool of liquid and parts of pills on the floor below me and me slowly dying. I didn’t want to commit suicide, but there was no f*ing way of getting out of this life except doing that. At that point, she told me that she drove me to North Memorial Emergency Room and they quickly pumped all the Tylenol and Advil out of my system. I remember waking up and watching as Madeline was rubbing my head. And she stayed there throughout the night and the next day doing so. I was restrained and couldn’t move. And I was feeling so sickly, and I wanted to scream out of my lungs every profanity there was in the book, I was so angry and upset that I didn’t die. After another day at the hospital, Madeline drove me home and she then said she was going to stay with me for a period of time. That period lasted from December to early January. Luckily, Heritage had the whole month of December off, so she could stay with me. After that though, things started to change.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »