Missing Piece | Teen Ink

Missing Piece

By arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado
arichman40 PLATINUM, Basalt, Colorado

"Never judge a book by its cover"

Madeline Lawson strolled into Basalt High School hand in hand with her boyfriend Haley Turner. Right in the doorway, Haley stopped and kissed her. “My girl,” he sighed.
“Oh babe. You are the best,” Madeline told him.
“I know,” he replied. “And I couldn’t have a better girlfriend.”
“Who?” she asked.
“You, my love,” he told her.
“Oh. I knew that,” Madeline said.
“Hey there, Basalt sweethearts,” Adrianne Ann said. She suddenly appeared in front of them.
“Oh, hey Adrianne,” Madeline said. “Hayley, you remember my best friend Adrianne, don’t you?”
“Of course I do,” Hayley said. “Hey, Adrianne.”
“Hi Haley. How are you?” Adrianne asked.
“I’m well. How are you?” he said.
“I’m good,” Adrianne said.
She could tell though, from the look on his face, that he was lying.
“Well, um, Madeline, honey. Isn’t it time for you to go to class?” Haley asked.
“Oh, right. I have to get to Geography,” she said. “Later babe.”
She then was skipping down the hall, feeling like she was on a cloud, knowing she was in romance heaven.
Once she was out of sight, Haley turned to Adrianne.
“Hey, can we talk?” he asked.
“Sure. What about?” Adrianne asked.
“I need your help,” Haley said.
“With what?” Adrianne asked. “Homework?”
“No,” he said.
He pulled her into the corner near the drinking fountains by the cafeteria.
“I need relationship advice.”
“On Madeline?” she asked.
“Well, yeah,” he said. “You know Madeline and I have been dating for two years.”
“Yes I know,” Adrianne said.
“Well, I know she’s in heaven. Her life is at least. I know I make her really happy,” he said.
“And that’s a problem?” Adrianne asked.
“Well, I was into her at first, but now I’ve had a change in heart,” Haley said. “And, I mean, what about us?”
“What about us?” Adrianne asked. “We’re just friends.”
“Everyone knows that,” Haley said. “Except Madeline.”
“So?” Adrianne asked.
“So, she introduces us every time we see each other,” Haley moaned. “It’s annoying.”
“It really is,” Adrianne agreed. “What are we going to do?”
“Well, I need to tell Madeline the truth,” Haley said. “She’s been in heaven, but now I need to find mine. We also need to tell Madeline that we’ve been friends for a while.”
“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of that,” Adrianne said. “I think breaking her heart will be a blow, but I hate to see you so unhappy. You need to do what’s right.”
“Thanks Adrianne,” he said.
“The girl you are crushing on is one lucky girl,” she told him.
He leaned towards her and kissed her cheek. She blushed.
He then looked deeply into her brown eyes, gazing at her flawless face.
“She sure is,” he whispered.

“Hey Madeline,” Haley said.
It was after school and finally, Haley knew he could talk to Madeline alone.
“There’s something I need to talk to you about.”
“Sure babe,” she said. “What’s on your mind?”
“This is really hard to say, but I’ve been meaning to tell you this for a while,” Haley began.
“Something wrong?” Madeline asked, confused.
“Well, yeah,” Haley admitted. “I’ve enjoyed going out with you, but I think we should take a break, you know?”
“Wait a minute. Are you breaking up with me?” Madeline asked. “This morning you told me I’m the only girl for you.”
“Well, I’m young. I’m not trying to tie myself down,” Haley explained. “I like you and hope we can stay friends.”
“How long have you felt like this?” Madeline asked.
“A few months,” Haley admitted.
“Why didn’t you tell me?” she cried. “We’re in a relationship. We need to be able to communicate with each other.”
“Well, that’s why I’m telling you this now,” Haley said.
“We can work through this,” Madeline said. “We can figure out the problem and fix it. We can do it together.”
“Sorry Madeline,” he said. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”
He turned and walked to his car. As he started driving out of the school parking lot, he saw Madeline sitting in the grass with her head in her hands. He felt a tug at her heart to see her like that, but he knew he did the right thing.
The next day, Madeline came into school with her head down. She was wearing sunglasses even though it was a cloudy autumn day. When Madeline approached Adrianne, Adrianne was shocked to see her like that.
“Madeline!” she cried. “What happened to you?”
“Can we go talk in the bathroom?” Madeline asked quietly.
“Sure,” Adrianne agreed.
They walked into the bathroom closest to the cafeteria, and once they checked no one was there, Madeline took off her glasses. Adrianne gasped.
“What happened?” she asked. “Why are your eyes red?”
“I’ve been crying since yesterday afternoon,” Madeline explained.
“What? Why?” Adrianne asked.
“Haley broke up with me after school yesterday,” Madeline informed her.
Adrianne’s face went white. She didn’t want to let Madeline know he had talked to her about it the previous morning.
“He broke up with you?” she asked. Acting surprised. “Why would he do that?”
“He said he’s into another girl and has been feeling like that for a few months,” Madeline said. “He never said anything about it until yesterday. I don’t understand. I don’t think I did anything to scare him off. Did I?”
“I’m sure you didn’t,” Adrianne said. “Guys are weird sometimes. I’m so sorry this happened. You guys were so cute together.”
“Be honest with me when I ask you this,” Madeline told her.
“Okay, I will,” Adrianne agreed.
“Do you think the other girl is you?” Madeline asked.
“I wouldn’t think so,” Adrianne said. “Why would you ask?”
“I see the way he looks at you when we see you in the hall,” Madeline said. “Every time you two start talking, it seems like you two already know each other.”
“Wow, yeah,” Adrianne said. “What a coincidence.”
“Thanks for listening Adrianne,” Madeline said. “You are a great friend.”
Her heart sunk as she walked to class, feeling terrible that she knew M adeline was going to get dumped.
Later that day in English, when Adrianne was writing a paper, a note slipped under her hand. She stopped writing and opened the note. She gasped.
Dear Adrianne,
Surprise, surprise, the lucky girl is you! I know, this is a crazy thing to do, but you get me like nobody else. Madeline is a sweet girl, but the connection I had with her isn’t the same connection I have with you. I know this is kind of fast and out of the blue, but you are such a beautiful, wonderful girl! There’s the Homecoming Dance next Friday and I was wondering if you would be my date. I hope you say yes. Let me know. I’m crazy about you.
Love,
Haley

After class, Adrianne found Haley in the hallway. “Haley,” she said. “We need to talk.”
“Did you get my note?” he asked.
“Yes. That’s what we need to talk about,” she told him. “Haley, I can’t date you.”
“Why not?” Haley asked.
“Madeline is my best girlfriend,” Adrianne said. “I can’t do that to her. She will hate me forever.”
“She won’t find out,” Haley assured her.
“Yeah. When she sees us in the hall and says, “Hey! That’s my ex- boyfriend. What the…?” Sure, she won’t find out,” Adrianne said.
“Adrianne, I can’t wait any longer,” Haley told her. “I’ve waited too long already. Please love. I need you more than just a friend.”
“What if we ruin our friendship?” Adrianne asked nervously.
“That’s a risk I’m willing to take,” Haley said. “It could make our friendship stronger.”
“You aren’t going to give up on me, are you?” she asked.
“You know me all too well my love,” he replied with a cocky grin.
She looked down at the note and back up into Haley’s pleading green eyes.
“Okay Haley,” she sighed finally. “I will go to the dance with you.”
“Will you be my girlfriend?” he asked.
She sighed. “Yes. I will be your girlfriend.”
“Yes!” he shouted. He hugged her and looked at her lovingly.
“But no, we are not having our first kiss here in the hallway,” she said sternly.
“Fair enough,” he said. He kissed her forehead. “See you later sweetheart.”
At lunch that day, Adrianne met up with Madeline. “Hey. There’s something I need to tell you,” she said.
“Yeah?” Madeline asked.
“It’s about Haley,” Adrianne said. “Haley and I…”
“I don’t want to hear anything more about Haley,” Madeline cut her off. “He’s hurt me. I can care less about what he does now.”
“Are you going to the Homecoming Dance?” Adrianne asked.
“Not this year,” Madeline said. “I’m going to be mending my broken heart at home next weekend. Are you going?”
“Yeah,” Adrianne said.
“Someone ask you?” Madeline asked, surprised.
“Surprisingly, yes,” Adrianne said.
“Lucky you,” Madeline mumbled.
“Madeline! I really need to tell you something!” Adrianne cried.
“What is it?” she asked.
“It’s about me and Haley,” Adrianne said. “I’m going to the dance with him. He asked me and I didn’t want to hurt your feelings which is why I’m telling you now. I don’t want you to be mad at me, which is why I’m being honest with you now.”
“Okay, that’s fine,” Madeline told her. “I’m glad he’s moving on.”
“You are being very mature about this,” Adrianne said. “And don’t worry. You will find another great guy. There are plenty of them out there.”
After school, Adrianne met up with Haley.
“Did you talk to Madeline today?” he asked.
“Sure did,” Adrianne said. “I told her you are taking me to the Homecoming Dance.”
“Did you tell her we’re dating?” he asked.
“No,” Adrianne said.
“Well, you should tell her soon,” Haley said. “I don’t want her thinking next Friday is a one-time thing.”
“Okay,” Adrianne said.
“But I am very proud of you for telling her,” he told her. “I’m sure it wasn’t easy.”
“Trust me, it wasn’t,” Adrianne said. “But she is my friend. I can’t lie to her.”
“You did the right thing sweetheart,” Haley told her. He kissed her forehead.
“Thanks,” she sighed. “I will tell her everything.”
The night of the Homecoming Dance arrived in a blink of an eye, and Haley arrived at Adrianne’s house right at eight. Her mom answered the door. “Good evening Diane,” he said politely. “How are you?”
“Hello Haley,” she said sweetly. “I’m doing well. How are you?”
“I’m great,” he replied.
“I’m so glad you and Adrianne are finally together,” Diane told him. “I’ve waited so long for this to happen and Adrianne is so happy.”
“I hope she is happy,” Haley said. “She deserves to be happy and I’m glad I can bring her that happiness.”
“Hi mom. Hi Haley,” Adrianne said. She suddenly appeared in the doorway.
“Wow sweetheart. You look amazing,” Haley said in awe.
“Thanks babe,” she said. “You look pretty dashing yourself.”
Adrianne wore a light pink floral dress with pink flats, golden heart necklace and matching earrings and her hair in a bun.
Haley was wearing a black tux, white rose boutonniere and he’d combed his hair for the occasion.
“Oh, love, these are for you,” Haley told her.
He handed her a bouquet of white roses.
Adrianne’s face lit up with happiness.
“Oh baby, you didn’t have to me all of these,” she cried.
“Well, I want to spend every moment spoiling my wonderful Princess,” Haley said.
She wanted to kiss him, but because her mom was standing right there, she gave him a very affectionate hug.
“I love them,” she told him.
She disappeared into the house and returned a few minutes later.
“Shall we go?” she asked.
“We shall,” Haley agreed.
They left for Basalt High School and when they arrived, the dance was in full swing.
Haley pulled Adrianne onto the dance floor, and they started swaying to the music. On the dance floor, Adrianne began to see the side of Haley that she only dreamed of seeing. He was gentle, sweet, and loving. He held her all night and she felt very safe. She saw the kind look in his green eyes as they joked and laughed the entire night. Haley is right. She thought. Being in a romantic relationship won’t mess up our friendship.
The dance went till 11 and when they finally departed the dance, Haley didn’t want to take her home. Instead, they walked into Downtown Basalt, where they sat by the river as they listened to the sounds of nature and stared at the sky.
“Why aren’t you taking me home?” Adrianne asked.
“I haven’t been able to have a moment alone with you,” Haley said. “At school, there are still people around. So I thought I’d take this time we have together to get away from everything.”
He reached for her hand and interlaced his fingers in hers. Adrianne then relaxed her body into his and she felt his head rest on top of hers.
“It’s a full moon tonight,” Haley observed.
Adrianne lifted her head off his chest and looked up at the sky.
“The stars are so pretty tonight.”
“They sure are,” Haley agreed.
Haley then wrapped his arm around her and leaned towards her.
“Haley, what…,” Adrianne began.
The touch of his lips on hers stopped her train of thought. She wrapped her arms around his neck and parted her lips. She felt his tongue brush up against his. They stayed there for many moments, not moving, just savoring the moment. When they finally pulled apart, they smiled.
“You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to do that,” Haley told her.
“I’ve only wanted to do that all night,” Adrianne told him.
Then Haley’s face grew serious. “I love you Adrianne,” he said seriously.
“I love you too Haley,” She said honestly.

The weeks after the dance were the happiest days for Adrianne and Haley. Romantic dinners and long nights by the river, talking and kissing. Adrianne began to realize she was learning more about Haley and couldn’t have thought to have a better guy in her life. The texting, the late night chats, it was perfect.
“Hey babe,” she said.
It had been a month since the dance and they were sitting by the river in Downtown Basalt, their normal spot, watching the clouds.
“Yes love?” he asked.
“It’s our one month anniversary today,” she told him.
“I know sweetheart,” he said. “I have perfect night planned already.”
“Really?” she asked.
“Yes sweetheart,” he said. “I’m taking you to Cuvee.”
“Oh baby,” she sighed. “That’s the most expensive restaurant in town!”
“I know love,” he said. “But tonight is a special night. You are worth it.”
That night, Adrianne met Haley in Downtown Basalt.
When he saw her, he was captivated by her beauty.
“Sweetheart, you look beautiful,” he awed.
She was wearing a strapless black dress that really showed off her figure.
“Thanks,” she said. She kissed his cheek.
“You look pretty amazing yourself.”
“Thanks love,” he said.
They went inside and sat down. After they ordered their food, Adrianne brought out a box.
“So I got you a one month anniversary gift,” she said. She handed him the box.
He opened the lid and gasped.
“Oh love. This gift is amazing,” he said.
It was a gold watch.
“It was nothing,” she said. “Put it on. I want to see how it looks on you.”
He put it on and she smiled.
“Babe, it looks great on you,” she told him.
“Thanks sweetheart,” he said.
He leaned across the table and gave her a kiss.
“Okay,” he said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. “Here’s mine.”
She took the box and opened it. She gasped. “Oh baby,” she sighed. “They are beautiful.”
In the box were a pair of sparkling diamond earrings.
“These must have been expensive,” she said.
“You are worth every penny,” he said.
She leaned across the table and kissed him.
Their food arrived and they enjoyed their one month anniversary together.
Then, after Haley generously paid the bill, he escorted Adrianne back to her house.
“You look great in those earrings my love,” he told her.
She beamed at him.
“And that watch suits you very well,” she told him.
“I knew it would,” he said.
They were standing on her porch, gazing at the stars. Haley reached for her hand.
“There’s something I haven’t been able to do on your porch yet,” he said.
“Oh?” she asked.
He reached his free hand up to her face and leaned in. It was a passionate kiss in the clear night sky.
When they separated, they both smiled.
“Perfect,” he said.
Monday morning, they walked into school, hand in hand, talking and laughing.
Madeline looked to see they had walked in and was shocked.
“Adrianne!” she cried. “What are you doing with my ex-boyfriend?”
“You didn’t tell her?” Haley asked.
“Tell me what?” Madeline asked.
“Madeline, Haley and I are dating,” Adrianne said.
Madeline bursted into tears.
“Adrianne, how could you do this to me?” Madeline asked.
“I told you I was going to the dance with him,” Adrianne said.
“Yes. But you didn’t tell me you are dating him,” Madeline cried. “Thanks a lot.”
She ran down the hall and Haley turned Adrianne.
“You didn’t tell her?” he asked. “You told me you were going to tell her everything!”
“Well, I did what you asked, and now she hates me!” Adrianne cried. “I was right. This is a bad idea. We’re through!”
She ran down the hall, the way Madeline had disappeared and Haley was confused.
“Wait!” he called. “I didn’t mean it that way.”
But she was too far down the hall to hear him.

“Madeline! Wait up!” Adrianne called.
“I can’t believe you lied to me!” Madeline cried.
Adrianne caught up to her and was panting.
“I meant to tell you,” Adrianne said. “So I will tell you everything now. Haley and I have known each other for years. You just didn’t know. I didn’t think he’d break-up with you, but he talked to me about it. Then after he broke up with you, he sent me a note asking me to go to the dance. That’s why I told you I was going. At first I tried to say no, but he convinced me into it and at the same time, he asked me to be his girlfriend. I was skeptical about it, because of you, but he’s a really great guy, and I’ve been having the best time with him. He’s liked me for a while and we’ve been dating for a month. And because of you, I just told him our relationship is over.”
“Good. Now neither of us are dating,” Madeline said.
“No. Did you hear what I just said? Being with Haley has been the best thing for me. You need a new boyfriend,” Adriane said. “I love him and he loves me. I want you to be as happy as I am. I will help you get there, okay?”
“Okay,” Madeline sighed.
“Are there any other guys here you are into?” Adrianne asked.
“Well, I think Troy Allen is pretty hot,” Madeline said.
“Is he single?” Adrianne asked.
“I think so,” Madeline said.
“Then let’s go find him,” Adrianne said.
They walked towards the senior hallway where they knew Troy’s locker was.
“Hi Troy,” Adrianne said.
“Hi Adrianne,” Troy said.
“So Troy, have you met my friend Madeline?” Adrianne asked.
“I’ve seen her in the hallway and I think she’s a beautiful girl,” Troy said.
“You think I’m beautiful?” Madeline asked.
“I think you are gorgeous,” Troy complimented. “I also want to get to know you better. Would you like to go to dinner with me tonight? My treat.”
“I would love to,” Madeline agreed.
“Great!” Troy exclaimed.
He wrapped his arm around her and they walked away, chatting.
Madeline looked back at Adrianne and mouthed, “Thank you” at her.
Good. She thought. Now, where’s Haley?

Haley was very confused by why Adrianne had broken up with him. He was lost and didn’t know what to do.
She probably didn’t mean it. He thought. I’m sure she will come back to me.
He waited, but couldn’t stand in the hall, waiting for her. He met up with his friends, hoping they could help him.
“So, what can I do?” he asked.
“For what?” Ben Fink asked.
“To get Adrianne back,” Haley answered him.
“You guys are finally dating?” Andrew Lanes asked,
“Yeah,” Haley said. “We’d been dating for a month before Madeline found out.”
“Oh, your ex found out? That sucks,” Ben said.
“Well, now I need to get my love back,” Haley said.
“Go to her house and talk it out,” Ben said. “Communication is the key for every relationship.”
“Thanks Ben,” Haley said. “I will go to her house and talk it out with her tonight.”
“Why would you get back with your ex?” Andrew asked.
“Not his ex, Andrew,” B en said. “Adrianne.”
“Exactly,” Haley said. “I have lost my lover. But I can’t live without her.”
That night, Haley walked over to Adrianne’s house. He knocked on her front door and Diane answered.
“Hello Haley,” she said.
“Hi Diane,” he said.
“Adrianne!” she called. “Haley is here!”
She came to the door moments later. “Hi Haley.”
“Hi Adrianne,” he said.

They stood there, staring at each other for what seemed liked hours.
“I’ll leave you two to talk,” Diane told them.
She left the room.
“Hey. How are you?” he asked.
“I’m okay,” she said. “How are you?”
“I’m alright,” he said. “Do you have a moment?”
“Yeah. Something wrong?” she asked.
“Not at all,” he said. “Can we talk?”
“Sure,” she said. “Do you want to come in?”
“Actually, would you mind taking a walk with me?” he asked.
“Not at all,” she said. “Let me grab my jacket.”
She disappeared and returned moments later.
“Okay. Let’s go,” she said.
They began to walk into Downtown Basalt and Haley began to talk.
“So, we need to talk about us,” he said. “Why did you run away from me after we saw Madeline yesterday?”
“She was mad at me, Haley,” she told him. “I had to chase her down and explain everything to her.”
“Then what?” Haley asked.
“I helped her find a new boyfriend,” Adrianne said.
“So she is cool with us dating?” Haley asked.
“Are we dating?” Adrianne asked.
He ran his hand along her cheek, feeling her soft skin beneath his fingers.
“If Madeline has a new boyfriend, she will be just as happy as us, right?” Haley asked.
“I guess so,” Adrianne said. “I really missed you Haley.”
“I missed you too sweetheart,” he told her.
They wandered down to the river and sat on the bench.
“So, from that experience, we need to communicate better,” he told her. “Tell me what’s going on. And never run away from me again. I will miss you too much.”
“Okay,” she whispered.
He wrapped his arm around her and gazed deeply into her eyes.
“So, I…,” she began.
He leaned forward and kissed her. She parted her lips and the feeling of his tongue brushing up against hers was the feeling she had been missing so much.
When they separated, they smiled.
“Just as amazing,” she whispered.
“As amazing as you,” he told her. “I love you Adrianne.”
“I love you too Haley,” she whispered.