The Road Trip I Wasn't Expecting This Summer | Teen Ink

The Road Trip I Wasn't Expecting This Summer

By kristen_98 GOLD, Milton, New Hampshire
kristen_98 GOLD, Milton, New Hampshire

The bell rings and everyone is running down the halls, teachers try to stop them but their efforts are pointless. I’m the only one actually acting appropriately. At home I can unleash myself. But not here. I allow the barbarians to pass me and when I see an opening, I seize it. I walk out to the parking lot and open Lilac’s passenger door. As stupid as it is, I don’t have a car. I don’t even have my license. I’ve driven a couple times when I was fifteen when my dad was still around. But ever since Mom got married again, she hasn’t paid attention to my needs at all.

Someone is sitting in my seat. And Lilac’s kissing him. And I don’t mean a little kiss. He looks like he’s graduated already. Gross. Lilac doesn’t even notice me. The guy didn’t even notice I opened the flipping door! I scoff and angrily shut the door. Crap, now I have to take the bus.

I run toward the buses but all of them already left. Well, except for the last one. I wave my arms but I’m a little too short for the driver to see me I guess. Teenagers make faces at me and write ‘Loser’ on the window. But it’s backwards. So it looks really stupid. I walk around the back field where they hold football practices. My house is six miles away from the school. And I have to go through the creepy part of town to get there. I don’t feel like getting mugged or worse. I pull out my cell and call Mom. It goes straight to voicemail. Really? It beeps.

“Hey, Mom, it’s me. Um it’s about half past two and I don’t have a ride home. Do you think you can come get me? Call me as soon as you get this. Bye,” I flip the phone shut and wait. And wait. And wait. I check the time on my phone and it’s close to four now. Where the heck is she?

I walk around the front of the school and see if I can get a ride. No teens in sight. Well, it’s summer. Why would any kid come within fifty feet of school? Then I wonder if maybe Lilac is still here. I doubt it. But I check anyway. I run to the student parking lot but the only thing left is a couple cigarette packs and an empty iced coffee cup. It looks like a desert. Then I smack my head because I realize that one of the teachers could’ve driven me home. Then there’s hope. Across the lot I see someone getting in their vehicle. It’s a teacher I think. It’s Mr. Ross. Um, no thanks. That teacher gives me the creeps. Mr. Ross notices me though, of course.

“Do you need a ride?” he calls.

“No thanks. My mom’s coming,” I lie.

“You sure?” he asks.

“Yep.”

His vehicle starts up and I watch as Mr. Ross drives away, leaving a trail of dust. I let out a deep breath because apparently I was holding it. By this time it’s almost five thirty. So reluctantly I start my walk. About ten minutes into it, a big truck drives up the street toward me. The driver is someone I’ve never seen before. He looks my age, though. Impulsively, I wave my hand, motioning for him to stop. The boy looks confused but stops anyway. He rolls down his window and I have to stand on my tippy toes to see into the vehicle.

“Where are you going right now?” I ask.

The boy replies, “Nowhere, why?”

“I need a ride home.”

“Well, I’m the man for the job,” he smiles and opens the door. He pats the seat next to him and I gratefully climb in. I have to put my foot up to my waist in order to get in. If someone who isn’t very flexible tried to get in, it’d be an adventure. The boy turns down the radio and holds out his hand, “And exactly who am I allowing into my truck?”

I shake his hand, “Rebecka Blatt, Almost Senior. And exactly who is driving me?”

“Jacobi Daniels,” he grins. He has a nice grin. “Where do you live Rebecka Blatt-Almost-Senior?”

“Just down that way on Fourth Street,” I say. He nods and drives up to the school to turn around.
“So how come you need a ride?” he asks.
“I don’t have my license,” I say, a little embarrassed.
“That sucks. How did you survive the whole year?” he wonders.
“My best friend Lilac drove me.”
“Was she absent today?”
“No, she had a boyfriend or something. I don’t know.”
Under his breath I hear him say, “Some friend.”
Jacobi smiles and turns up the radio. Country music blares through the speakers and Jacobi bobs his head back and forth and taps his fingers on the wheel. I cover my ears and he looks a little sorry when he sees my reaction. He immediately turns it down.
“You don’t like country?” he says.
“No, it’s fine, it’s just a little loud,” I say with a grin so he doesn’t feel too bad.
“Oh, sorry about that,” Jacobi turns it up again but not too loud this time. Soon Jacobi pulls onto Fourth Street and spots my house. He stops right in front of my driveway.
“Well that was fun,” he sighs.
I laugh a little and reply, “Thanks for the ride.”
“Anytime.”
I open the door and jump out of the monstrous truck. My feet land softly on my dirt driveway. I walk up to my front porch and knock. I can hear hurried footsteps coming down the stairs. Mom’s new husband, Patrick opens the door. I quickly wave to Jacobi as he drives away down the street. When we get inside, Patrick slams the door and yells, “Where were you?”
“I didn’t have a ride,” I explain. Toward Mom who’s upstairs I add, “We wouldn’t have this problem if I had a car.”
“You know very well why we can’t afford a car for you,” Patrick says.
“Yeah, because I have to pay for it myself. But what about Driver’s Ed?” I ask.
“That’s too expensive too,” Patrick says.
“Everything’s too expensive lately,” I grumble. I storm up to my room as Patrick yells behind me, “And what’s that supposed to mean? Rebecka, I’m not done talking to you!”
I ignore him and head to their room. Mom’s packing her bags for the big honeymoon she and Patrick are taking. I’m happy for her, I really am. Mom smiles at me and then gets serious. “You know better than to talk to Patrick that way.”
“I know, Mom. But it’s not my fault I was late,” I say. Mom nods in agreement and adds, “Why didn’t you call me?”
I groan, “I did, Mom. This is exactly why I’m angry. You guys don’t have time for me. I don’t have my license! I can’t take my friends to a movie, I can’t get a job because no one has time to bring me! We don’t do fun family stuff anymore like when Dad was here.”
I don’t mean to say it. It just slips out without warning. I know Mom is hurt that I think this but it’s true. When Dad was here two years ago everything we did was family based. It was always fun. But Mom couldn’t handle what Dad did to her. No one would be able to. And no one should. I agree that she had every right to say good-bye. But I still wish he was a part of my life. Even if I only saw him once a year. The last time I heard anything about Dad, he had run off with some girl to Mexico.
Mom doesn’t look at me. She just keeps packing and whispers, “That’s not true.”
I cross my arms in frustration and walk out of the bedroom. My room is my only. As weird as it is, I think about Jacobi. Like I’ll ever see him again, but it was comfortable in his truck. I didn’t feel awkward because he didn’t make it awkward. He made it seem like I was one of his buddies. I think about his wavy jet black hair and hazel eyes that seemed to change color at certain points. Jacobi had an ear piercing at the top of his ear but somehow it didn’t look weird on him. It looked natural. He wasn’t emo or goth. He was kind of normal. We was wearing an army green watch and a brown t-shirt with shorts. Yep, she was normal. My kind of normal.
I shake my head, trying to get rid of the thought because there is no way Jacobi would like me. I have boring straight brown hair and boring brown eyes. I have boring gold studs for earrings that I wear everyday and my figure is not exactly model material. I’m not fat, but I’m not tall and slim either. If he met Lilac, he would like her way better. She has beautiful blonde curly hair and bright blue eyes and she is perfectly proportioned. She wears different kinds of earrings everyday and she dresses fashionably.
Stop thinking of Jacobi as a potential boyfriend! He will be just a friend. He wouldn’t like me and he probably already has a girlfriend. Plus, I’ve gotten my heart broken enough times. A sharp pain goes through me as I think back to my freshman year. Danny Reynolds. Junior, had a car, what wasn’t to like. Until he…Never mind.
I hear a knock on the door and frown. I open my door and see Mom standing there. In the hallway I see numerous suitcases labeled ‘Blatt.’
“Yes, Mom?” I sigh.
“I want to talk to you before we go,” Mom says and leads me to my bed. She sits down and clasps my hand in hers.
“I-We know how hard this is for you. But I want you to understand why things turned out this way. Patrick…” she begins.
“Yes, I know. Respects you, respects me, he’s perfect for you. I’ve heard it before, Mom,” I say.
“No, not that, honey. Patrick knows that he can never replace…Dad. But he does want to be there for you, always. He loves you, too you know. That’s why he was so concerned about you. Also, we’re not leaving you out of the honeymoon. We decided that you should stay because: one, I don’t think you’d enjoy it much; two, we completely trust you. And, we left you three hundred dollars on the counter so you can order takeout or if we run out of toothpaste or something. And you can have a friend over or you can go over a friend’s house. I don’t care what you do as long as you’re safe, and the house isn’t a mess when we get home. All right?” Mom smiles.
I smile back and say, “Okay. Thanks, Mom.”
“You’re welcome, sweetheart,” Mom says and gives me a hug. I inhale her cherry blossom scent to hold onto for three months because they won’t be back until late August. “Call when you need us,” she adds.
“Yep,” I assure her.
Patrick appears the hallway ready to go with his three suitcases. He heads downstairs to start loading the car. They’ll be heading to the airport and leaving for the Caribbean Islands. Lucky. How would I not find that fun? Oh well. I have the house to myself! As I think about this I start to worry. What if the house burns down? What about bills?
“Uh, Mom, Patrick? What will you do with the bills?” I wonder, a little scared.
“It’s all right. We’ll pay them when we get back,” Patrick reassures me. I nod, a bit more confident that I can live on my own now. Patrick steps outside and Mom brings a suitcase out to the car, too. Because I want to, I bring down the last suitcase and shove it in the trunk. Patrick shuts it and gives me a quick hug and says, “Bye, munchkin. See you later.”
Then it’s Mom’s turn. She’s crying. “Mom it’s okay. I’ll see you soon.”
“I know. But three months is such a long time!” She’s bawling her eyes out now.
“You have Patrick, though. He’ll keep you occupied. He’ll make you forget about time. August will be here before you know it!” I hug her and pat her back.
“Okay,” she says and smiles at me. “You’re so grown up,” she continues, “your father would be so proud.”
“I know, Mom. Now go before you miss your plane!” I usher her.
“You’re sure you’ll be fine?” she wonders.
“Yes! Now get your butt in the car!” I say. Patrick waves and I wave back. He starts the engine and I watch as my parent and Patrick drive down the road. I sigh with relief. I thought they’d never leave. Mom gets like that, though whenever she goes on a long journey. I think Patrick is the best thing that’s ever happened to her. Mom would’ve never done this if it weren’t for him. Mom seems to be able to do so much more now. I smile at the thought of her laying on the beach in the Caribbean. He probably will get her to try surfing. That will be interesting.
I head inside the now empty house. I snag the three hundred dollars and realize I should probably exchange them for twenties. I look in the cabinets and see that they’re stocked full with every food you could think of. Mom must’ve done a huge grocery shopping trip. I check the fridge and that’s completely full, too. The pantry as well. Half the stuff I don’t even know what I’d ever use it for. I examine the items and notice Mom organized them by their expiration dates. Things that expire within a week are in the front.
I pull out a bow of noodles and a package of pesto and figure I’ll give it a shot. I get a pan and fill it up with tap water. I turn on the stove and let it boil. Then I put in the noodles. After those boil, I strain the water from the noodles and put the noodles back in the pan. Then I pour in the pesto and mix it around. I scoop out a plateful for myself and put the rest in a Tupperware container for leftovers. I’m going to do this the smart way and not use up all the food Mom bought. Just the stuff that won’t last very long.
I pour a glass of milk and bring my drink and plate to the dining table. Then I change my mind and sit in the living room. I don’t want to feel like I’m eating alone so I turn on the TV.

Sorry about any grammar mistakes.

I wake up and find myself on the couch. I’m still in my clothes, my plate and cup are on the floor in front of me, and the TV’s still on. It takes me a minute to assess the situation and realize I fell asleep watching a movie. I grab the dirty dishes and put them in the sink. I’ll clean those tonight. For my whole summer alone I’ve put together a daily plan.

Morning:
Clean up from the night before, get ready, eat breakfast.
Afternoon:
Do something active/productive, fold laundry.
Night:
Clean dishes, Take a shower, eat dinner, go to bed.

And unlike most of my routines I put together, I’m going to stick to this one. I made it my New Year’s Resolution in January to follow all my routines if I make one. But every one I’ve tried has failed. But this time, nothing’s going on to get in my way.

I grab a box of cereal and the milk from the fridge and pour myself a bowl of cereal. Because I’m bored of the house that always looks the same, I step outside onto the front porch and enjoy watching my neighborhood wake up. I never checked the time but considering the sky is pink it’s probably about five in the morning. I never sleep late. An older woman walks up and down my side of the street with two light weights in her hands. After her third lap down our street she turns to look at my house like she did every other time and smiles because she didn’t notice I was there before.

“You’re up early!”

“Mm-hm,” I say.
“Are your parents away again?” she asks in a perky voice. She doesn’t really understand what’s going on with my family. We were already living with Patrick when we moved here so she thinks he’s my father.

“Yep,” I reply with a smile.

“That must be different!”

I nod and under my breath say, “Not really.”

She waves and I wave back. I get back to my cereal and look at the house across from me. It’s been there for as long as I can remember. A light green colonial with a farmer’s porch and a beautiful front yard with a patio walkway leading up to the steps. A weeping willow can be seen behind the house and there’s a driveway to the far right (my right). The paint on the house is fading a little and there’s a beautiful little garden along the edge of the walkway and the porch. I don’t know why but I’m somehow drawn to that house. No one used to live in it last year and I after school I sneaked up to the house and peeked in the windows. All the walls and floors were white and looked old. The rooms were bare except for the kitchen because there was the marble island and counters.

At the beginning of junior year, a couple in their forties moved in. They had one daughter who was my age. Her name was Lilac and we’ve been best friends ever since I asked her to sit with me at lunch. I remember how no one ever wanted anything to do with Lilac because of how she dressed. Her parents were always fighting and her emotions showed through her clothes. She died her beautiful hair black with dark red streaks. When I first met her I thought her natural color was black. Until her parents started taking marriage counseling sessions and her true personality began to show. During Thanksgiving break of junior year, I slept over Lilac’s house and she was wearing a salmon colored long sleeve shirt with blue jeans and sneakers. She had a gold heart necklace and a silver bracelet. And she looked happy. I think I almost cried.

I hear something that sounds like a vehicle farther down the street. Then it gets closer, closer, and a little closer. I can see the truck now and think I’m going to jump up and down and wave my arms. I really want to ride in that truck. Then I see what I’m wearing. What if he thinks I’m one of those girls who wears whatever she can find on her floor that may be dirty or clean? I quickly run inside and change shirts at least and keep looking at the window, praying he’ll stop at my house. As if he can read my mind, he seems to stop, but unfortunately, its only a split second before he turns into Lilac’s driveway. I stay inside and keep watching. I almost feel like a stalker. Almost. Jacobi hops out of the driver’s side and I expect Lilac to come running out of the front door at any minute but it’s worse. She gets out from the passenger and she is wearing the same clothes from yesterday except they’re don’t seem to look exactly right. I’m mad at Jacobi. And I’m mad at Lilac. But how could she know that I was in his truck yesterday?

Jacobi puts his arm around her as if they’ve known each other forever and both walk inside. I sit and wait for Jacobi to come out. But he never does. By this time, I’m furious because…actually, I don’t want to think about what they might’ve done. So Jacobi uses his knight in huge truck act all the time. That must be his signature move. Stupid me! I fell for it! I guess I wouldn’t know though because he seems new. I wouldn’t notice him though because we have a pretty big school. I don’t know half the kids in my grade by name.

Around three in the afternoon, my cell phone rings. It’s Lilac. I reluctantly pick up.

“Hey, how is it at your house?” she asks.

“Actually, it’s pretty miserable.”

“Oh, well you can come over my house!” she proposes.

“Really? You don’t have anyone else over?” I wonder.

“No, just my cousin, Jacobi. But he says he’s already met you. By the way, you have to tell me about that!” With that, she hangs up and I slap myself on my forehead. Of course! I’m so stupid! I quickly gather some stuff for Lilac’s. But I quickly decide I don’t want to sleep over because I don’t want Jacobi to see me in my pink polka-dotted pajama bottoms and Christmas tee.

Not trying to seem too desperate to see Jacobi, I casually walk over to Lilac’s front door. Before I can even ring the doorbell, Jacobi swings open the door with a big smile and ushers me into the house. Lilac is in the kitchen as usual making some sort of pastry by the smell of it. Lilac told me a while ago she’s been practicing baking for years. She bakes some quality stuff, too. I’m not talking about putting them in the oven for two minutes and they’re done. Oh no, she starts right from scratch. Looking at Lilac and not knowing her, you’d never guess her dream is to own the ultimate bakery shop people from all over the world visit.

I’ve tried baking with Lilac but it’s hard because I have no idea what I’m doing and with Lilac and baking, everything has to be just right. Baking is the only time she really uses what she learns in school. Lilac’s parents are hanging out in the living room, watching a movie. I smile at the thought of them really getting along.

Lilac checks on her pastries and sets the timer for five more minutes. She glances my way and smiles. She takes off her oven mitts and hurries over to me and gives me a big hug. She looks comfortable and herself in her red flour-covered apron and messy hair. “I’m making raspberry turnovers!”

“Yum!” I say. Jacobi is standing beside me and smiles a little bit.

“Jacobi, can you take those out when the timer goes off? Just leave them on top of the stove,” Lilac orders, grabbing me by the hand and pulling me upstairs. I admire the walls that are still white and how there’s random cracks along the floor. Before he’s out of earshot, I hear Jacobi say, “Sure thing, Lil.”

When we get up to her room, she sits down on her bed and we kind of sit there in silence. “So, ‘Lil’ huh?” I ask.

“Yeah. He treats me like a little kid but he’s only two months older than me. How did you guys meet anyway?” she wonders, pulling her pillow onto her lap, playing with the corners.

I tell her the story and at the end she says, “I’m so sorry about that! That guy was named Kevin. But he turned out to be stupid anyway. So I dumped him,” she says, like it’s an accomplishment.

Knowing she’ll laugh at it, I blurt out, “I thought you and Jacobi were boyfriend and girlfriend!”

Lilac laughs obnoxiously and when she settles down wonders, “Why would you think that?!”

“I saw him drive you home this morning. I don’t know,” I say, feeling embarrassed.

“Oh! He was picking me up Anna’s house.”

Anna is another friend of Lilac’s. We stop talking after a bit because Lilac appears to be in deep thought. Lilac startles me when she finally says, “You like Jacobi.” Her eyes seem to analyze me, then she nods, confirming her statement.

I sigh because lying to her is hopeless.

“I knew it! That is so cool! We could actually be related when you guys get married!” Lilac practically shouts.

“Shh! Can’t they hear you!” I angrily whisper.

“He likes you too, though, so it’s not a problem!” Lilac blurts. She quickly covers her mouth as if she told me the secret to her apple pie (it’s really good). I stare at her in shock, blushing, but quickly snap out of it.

“No, he doesn’t, Lilac,” I say.

“Yes, he does!”

We sound like little school girls talking about the little boy everyone has a crush on. “How do you know?”

“Duh, he lives here! Nothing goes unsaid in this house.”

“Speaking of which, why does he live here?” I ask.

“My aunt thought it’d be nice for him to visit us. I haven’t seen him in four years.”

“How long is he here?”

“Till school starts up again.”

“Oh. What about your family vacation?”

“Jacobi’s coming with us. We’re just going somewhere more affordable since we have another person.”

Jacobi opens the door and peeks his head in. “Your turnovers are getting cold, Lil,” he turns and looks at me, “Hey, Rebecka.”

After he leaves, Lilac giggles and I just shake my head. I follow her to the kitchen and she gives everyone one turnover, including me. There’s three leftover so she gives me, Jacobi, and herself one more. Lilac winks at me and goes into the living room with her parents. I want to sit and watch a movie, too but Lilac will be mad at me. So instead I take a bite out of my delicious turnover. The raspberries are warm and melt all over the inside of my mouth.

“That’s not how you eat a turnover,” Jacobi says, amusement on his face.

“Really?” I challenge.

“Let me show you,” Jacobi takes one of his turnovers and takes a fork from the drawer. On the plate he starts to peel apart his turnover and picks some up with his fork, then eats it. It does look cleaner. But I don’t want to give him the satisfaction.

“You can eat turnovers your way, and I’ll do it my way. The normal way,” I say confidently. Once again I bite into the turnover and then I hear his voice again. I think he’s right behind me.

“Normalcy is an illusion, you know,” he rests his hand on the edge of the counter, leaning on it. I turn around to look at him.

“No it’s not. Normal things are everywhere.”

“You really think so?” he says leaning a bit closer too me. He’s not that close, it just seems that way.

“Yeah. And I can prove it!”

“Really?” Now his facial expression reads: You’re acting weird. But soon he gets a little bit of a cocky smile and says, “No, I can prove it to you.”

“How?”

“Simple. A road trip. You, me, all around the country.”

“What? That’s crazy! Are you serious?”

“Yeah. You’re alone the whole summer anyway! Do you really want to spend three months cooped up in one house, probably eating pizza every night and getting fat from lack of exercise?”

“Hey! It’s not that bad and we have a gym in the basement,” I lie. “And being alone is normal for me anyway,” I say softly.

Jacobi looks at me with surprise. He moves closer and cups my shoulder with his hand. “That shouldn’t be normal. For anybody. And I’m serious about the road trip. I got thousands of dollars saved up in the bank. We can go next week.”

“What about Lilac? The family vacation?”

“I really don’t care about the vacation and Lilac doesn’t need to come. I want to do this for you,” Jacobi says, looking serious all of a sudden. I don’t want to look into his hazel eyes. So I look down and murmur one word, “Okay.”

“All right. Go home, pack up anything you think you’ll need, and I’ll pick you up Saturday morning.”

This book has 1 comment.

Shortened version of this story: Rebekka: Hey! I need a ride because my family is totally screwed up!
Jacobi: Okay!
R (at her house): Whoa! That guy is totally hot even though I only talked to him for 15 minutes!
R's mom: Me and my new husband are going on a vacation and leaving the house, money, and food with you! Have fun!
Lilac: My cousin is Jacobi and you like him and he likes you that's so perfect!
R: He does not!
(Ten minutes later)
J: We should go on a road trip together because I randomly have $1000 in the bank that I want to spend on you just to prove a point!
R: Okay! I wonder what will happen... hmm...
But keep writing and surprise me! :)