A Journey Far From Home

Author's note: I've always really liked writing fictional stories and one night I just got to thinking and the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I've always really liked writing fictional stories and one night I just got to thinking and the story of Joan and Ben just popped into my head! I hope others will read my story and understand how important siblings are in your lives even if they can be annoying at times.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Remembering Summers Past

A young girl named Joan and her younger brother Ben walked along the cobblestone road to the train. So many people were already here and the line seemed endless. Luckily, the train’s crew worked efficiently and they boarded quickly.
Getting to their seats, Joan and Ben plopped down, Joan taking the window seat. A quiet mumble of talking filled the air as the passengers waited for the train to start moving.
A deep voice on the intercom said they would arrive in 48 hours in Springfield, Illinois. Looking down at her backpack that she had brought along with her, Joan took out her photo album. Flipping through the pictures, she smiled, reminiscing back on all the happy memories she had had. Looking down on a new picture, Joan hesitated. It was a picture of a summer when Joan was 7. She had spent a month at her grandparent’s farm. She could remember before the trip and how she felt, dreading the vacation to her grandparents’ who she had never even really met. But on the trip, Joan had had the time of her life! She had so much fun living with these people on their farm. But now Joan wondered when she could see her grandparents again. It had been almost five years since that summer and Joan knew that her grandparents were aging and losing memory. She just wished her mom would let her go.
The train zoomed forward and they were on their way.
Then the conductor marched up to Ben and Joan and said “You’d best get some sleep young lady,” looking at Joan. “And you to,” as he pointed to Ben.
They quickly went to sleep letting all of their worries that day fade away into the dark shadows of the train.
The aroma of scrambled eggs and sausage woke up Joan and Ben instantly. Most of the passengers were already awake and eating breakfast. Shortly after they awoke, the conductor walked up to Joan and Ben. “I see you’re awake, what can I get for you for breakfast?”
“I’ll have eggs,” Joan said.
“Me too,” said Ben.
“Alrighty then, anything else?” he asked.
“Uh yeah, I’ll also have some pancakes,” Joan added.
“Me too,” said Ben.
“Alrighty, I’ll be right out with those,” he said and walked away.
As the two siblings sat waiting for their food, Joan began to wonder if Ben could remember the summer at the farm.
“Ben, do you remember a couple summers ago, when we visited Grandma Linda and Grandpa Earl’s farm in Ohio?” she said with a grin on her face.
“Was that when we caught that wild turkey and named him Tim?” Ben responded.
“Yes! So you do remember! Don’t you want to go back? I mean wasn’t it just the most fun time you’d ever had? I mean who knows when we’ll get to see them again? Oh, just thinking about it makes me smile!” Joan said excitedly as memories flooded her brain.
“I did enjoy it, and we did have a lot of fun, but you and I both know Mom won’t let us go back!”
“I know, but it was just a thought.” Joan replied sadly.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

DanielM said...
Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:36 am
I really like your novel so far. I really like the storyline its seems pretty intersting. I liked your beggining sentence of chapter 1. Suggestion: try to write in paragraphs and indent to make it a new paragraph cause it was a tad bit hard for me to see what was next. Other than that Great Job!!

ladybugsrock replied...
Ok! Great! Thank you so much for the advice! Please tell others to read my book too:) Thanks again!