Hidden Within

Author's note: This was an assignment from my language arts teacher and it turned into this story. She allowed...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This was an assignment from my language arts teacher and it turned into this story. She allowed us to write anything at all and with some thinking the character "robin" popped into my head and after changing somethings I got this. I don't really know what i want people to get for this but I hope some people enjoy it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Chapter 3

“ I’m sorry to tell you, but your son, your son didn’t make it, he, he died during the heart operation. He told me to tell you thank you and that he loves you and that he would be looking over you.” A doctor said to a skinny short lady. As I pasted she started to collapse, and I of course jumped to catch her. As she clung onto me like a son of her own, my mom, the nurse and doctor all stopped and stared out of surprise, that I, Me out of all people, would do something like that. I didn’t know if I should of felt hurt that they thought of me like that, or if I should be surprised myself. The nurse looked at me like she was trying to hurry me along. But I couldn’t leave this poor lady who just lost a son alone with no one. I looked around and then said “ Go on i'll catch up later.” When they got out of view my attention was right back to her. I didn’t know what to do I thought about many things to ask but then when I was going to talk I thought of what I wanted someone to do for me. To just be there, someone to be there just so I could hold on to them, so I could feel like someone was there and that someone cared enough to give me a reason to still live. To give me a purpose. When she finally noticed she didn’t know me she looked up and asked “ Why?” “Why what?” I asked ” Why did you stay with me when you have someone in here to?” I thought about this for a moment but I don’t know why. I already knew the answer, it just wouldn’t come out. “Well I guess when you have no one there for you, you take any chance for someone who does.” I said. She looked at me for a moment like that didn’t make sense, and to be truthful I didn’t know if I made sense either but she finally started up again. She started with “ You know my daughter told me that sometimes you have to give someone else the time to tell their story. So now is your time to explain everything, or as much you want to.” I looked at her and I started “When I was 4 my father died and the last thing he said to me was to not lose the light. I have yet to figure out what he meant by that. But after countless step-dads, my mom found one who was thought to be good but turned out bad. He first lashed out at me when I was five. I didn’t want to believe that life was bad and got worse but I had no reason to not believe it. That was the only way I knew and my mom was and is too scared to stand up to him. I work two jobs and my mom has been sick since I was 12 and now I finally got the money to pay for a doctor. I've been planning to find a better life and once my mom gets better, I’m leaving the house. I'll be fifth teen in two days and then I will be a run away, just to get away from here. I don’t really know where im going but anywhere is better than here.” As I went on she sat there just listening, Like she could listen for ever. When I finished she right away said “You’re a brave boy to stand up for yourself and your mom.” I sat there, shocked. When I could finally speak I said “ Brave? Im many things but brave is not one word close to what I am.” She sat there shocked but finally said “You know my daughter, she once told me that bravery isn’t about having no fear. It is about being afraid but still doing what needs to be done.” With this response I didn’t know what to say or even if I could say anything at all. All I could do is just look at her with a blank face that I use to many times. She picked up on me not knowing what to say and she went on. “ My daughter is very smart and has taught me a lot.” I looked at her and said “ You know, she is smart. She made me relies something about me that I never knew was in me.” She smiled and said “ You know her birthday is in 3 weeks almost fifth teen too.” I didn’t have time to reply, she started digging around in her bag until she found what she was looking for. She handed it to me, on the pictures there was this beautiful girl one had her standing on top of a hill, wind blowing through her brown curly hair, Her eyes as blue as water in the summer with the light shining on them. Another one with her sitting on her brothers shoulders smiling like she could see the world from there. The last one was of her with her curly hair almost perfect looked like a school picture. I looked up and was amazed at how beautiful she was. I smiled and said “ She seems amazing.” She smiled as she looked at the picture I was now handing back to her. She looked at me and said “ How am I ever going to repay you?” I got up and looked down at her and I thought about money but then I thought about what had just happened and realized that she helped me more than I helped her. I said “ I don’t need anything you gave me enough already.” She, although didn’t think it was. She thought and then grabbed a pen and wrought on the back of a picture. She handed it to me and said “I think this may help you a little bit.” She smiled and handed me the picture and then walked away and left. I looked at the picture. It was the school one and one the back it said “ Thanks for everything! This may help you, 2673 Sermine rode NY,NY.” I stood there in shock that she was giving me a place to go. As I walked back to my mom I put the picture in my pocket making sure to not mess it up.