Hidden Within

Author's note: This was an assignment from my language arts teacher and it turned into this story. She allowed...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This was an assignment from my language arts teacher and it turned into this story. She allowed us to write anything at all and with some thinking the character "robin" popped into my head and after changing somethings I got this. I don't really know what i want people to get for this but I hope some people enjoy it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Chapter1

“Does everyone live like this momma?” I said while cleaning out my cuts from the fight with my new step-dad. I was only 5 at the time and growing up in situations like this, I had no idea if it was normal for bad things to happen. My mom just married him for his money and now she was realizing her big mistake. She didn’t realize how dangerous he could really be till now, where he first lashed out at me. This was not her first husband since my real dad and one after another they left or died, Either from drugs or fighting. But this one, this was the worst one of all. As time went on – Just like the last guy- He started drugs, slowly bring them home and then started coming home at 1 in the morning, Drunk. Me, now 12, has started to work, and my step-dad had just lost his job and has yet made an effort to find a new one. But my mom couldn’t divorce him, she was to scared of what he might do to me or to herself. I come home every night late because of work and wake up early to go to school. With no quiet place at home I did my homework at school. While being at home is hard I still did good in school because I found out what life should really be like. Waking up to a parents touch, to leave the house with no fear, to be able to get gifts just because. To come home and feel like there was nothing in the world that could hurt you. To not be blamed for everything that goes wrong and to not have to carry the world on your shoulders . That day I promised myself that I would live that life as soon as I could and until now, I thought the only way to do that was to do good in school and get into college. I see it differently now though. Coming to school early helped me with that. In the morning they had the news on every day in the office so I would go in and watch it with them and after 6 years of that I have seen countless stories about children disappearing and never being seen again. But yesterday I saw something that would change my life. The tv was blaring saying “Missing 6 year old found 20 years later! We don’t know how but this is incredible! Mr. Taylor mick now 26 is finally reunited with his family. Mick isn’t telling us where he was all these years but one thing he did say was that life would never be the same.” I hadn’t realized that a child could go missing without being kid napped or forced to run away. It could of just been them, their own decision , to run away. It could have been them realizing they deserved better. As pictures and videos scrolled past the screen I realized what I could do. But not yet, not with momma being sick.