The heartbreak of it all

Author's note: The book "The Pigman" inspired this, and has a sort-of similar plot.
Author's note: The book "The Pigman" inspired this, and has a sort-of similar plot.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

3

“WHAT THE F***?” she screamed, silencing the cafeteria, and standing up.
“What? Now me calling you a shitface is being completely literal,” I said, just being a smartass now.
“You dumb s***...” she said, wiping off the pudding and walking away. I just out-bitched the biggest b**** anyone has ever met. I felt like I could ride a god damn unicorn for how proud I was. I wondered how proud Amelia would've been if she was there...
People congratulated me for standing up. Heather walked past me a few times and shot dirty looks, but I ignored her. She still had pudding in her hair, but she was too dumb to notice and nobody told her.
I wondered all through Math why Amelia wasn't there. And for the rest of the day, for that matter.
After school, I got off the bus at her stop, and wandered to her house. I knocked on the door three times, as usual, so she would know it's me. Her mom came to the door.
“Hi, Jason...” she said, as if scared of something.
“Is Amelia around?” I asked, glad that I was going to see her.
“Actually, she's in the hospital right now...” she said, looking sad.
“What? What happened? Is she ok?” I asked. I was hit with a shockwave of sadness. She hadn't even told me she was going.
“We're not really sure, right now...” her mom said, trying to grasp my attention. But the next thing she said definitely got my attention.
“Amelia's doctor has diagnosed her with heart cancer,” she said, this bringing a tear to her eye.
I couldn't move, I couldn't respond. Time had come to an absolute standstill. My best friend had heart cancer. What was I supposed to do? I couldn't make her soup and make her feel better, I couldn't give her a present. She had cancer. She really had cancer. I snapped to reality and pinched myself to make sure this was real. It hurt like a b****, so I guess it was.
“Is she.. is she going to be alright?” I asked, with tears welling in my eyes, as well.
“They're not sure... would you like to come in and sit down for my to explain? You look as if you're about to faint,” she said, offering kindly.
I followed her through the Victorian-style house, and into the living room. I sat down on the red couch, which felt like floating on a cloud.
Amelia's mom brought me some warm tea and sat down in an armchair. “You see, the doctors have tried chemo radiation on Amelia, but it was giving her seizures, so they couldn't proceed. She's been having terrible symptoms from the radiation, likely to kill her if they do any more.”
“So she dies either way?” I asked.
“What?”
“She dies either way. Either the cancer kills her, or the effects of chemo therapy do.”
“Well--”
“Well I'm right, then, my best friend is going to die.”