Serial Killer | Teen Ink

Serial Killer

May 13, 2012
By American_Stare, NY, New York
More by this author
American_Stare, NY, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes PERMANENT.


"Okay, and you can put this bed here, in this room," Ariela told Miguel, one of the mover guys. He nodded and, with his partner Roberto, they lifted her bed and quickly carried it inside Ariela's room, the bigger room than the only other, but by a few feet in width. "Oh my gosh, than you guys so much! Here you go." She handed them each a ten dollar tip. May be a bit much, but she was in the happiest mood she's ever been in my entire life. Well, the second happiest mood day. The first was last month, when Ariela found out she got accepted into Columbia, a college in NYC, her hometown. "Hey Stacey, you done yet?"
"Almost!" her best friend called out. Ariela went down the hall to her room, where two other guys were setting down her bed. She tipped them both, and then they left. Ariela quickly locked the front door (she has some safety issues) and went back to Stacey's room. The two girls squealed at the same time, both jumping up and down. Why wouldn't they be? They're best friends ever since, like, forever, they're both eighteen (Stacey's older by two months; Ariela's May, Stacey's March), they got accepted into the same college, they're living in their own apartment, and they are officially free women.
Ariela has been waiting for this moment since she was eleven.
"Okay, we've got one day of unpacking," Ariela said after they're little victory dance. "Let's make it worth something."
"Ugh, can't we unpack later?" Stacey whined. "I want to go to the campus and see if there are any cute guys!"
"What, so you can bring him home to this?" Ariela asked. She made a face, giving in.
"Fine."
"I'll call Patrick," Ariela said, getting out her phone.
"Why?"
"He can help us unpack, make things go faster."
"Oh. Makes sense," she nodded. Ariela exited the room and out of the hallway to the living room, a fair size. The TV was old-school and still needed to be plugged in, and her XBOX 360 was waiting patiently in the corner to be played. The couch was beige and comfy, but nothing too spectacular, and the PC next to the couch was also old, but still ran.
"Hello?" Patrick answered after six rings. He almost never picked up his phone.
"Hey, buddy!" Ariela said.
"Hey girl," he replied, laughing. "What's up?"
"Well, Stacey and I just got moved in and need help unpacking. Wanna come over?"
"Sure, just give me the address." Ariela gave Patrick their address and apartment number and waited excitedly for him to come in.
After a few minutes, there was a knocking on the door. Stacey ran tot he door, opening it, revealing Patrick with shades on.
"Since when do you wear sunglasses?" Stacey asked, letting him in.
"Well, you see, Stace, the sun outside? Yeah, it's really big and hot, and it hurts my eyes. I found this great new thing called sunglasses on the street, bought a pair, and was transformed into this whole new world, where things are a bit darker, but at least there's no glare in my eye! Great for driving, too," he replied. Stacey rolled her eyes. Patrick, a year older than the girls, was majoring in theater. He was always 'in character,'
"Patrick!" Ariela ran up to her friend, and the two embraced. "Since when do you wear sunglasses?"
"Must I explain again?" he asked, taking the shades off, annoyed by the repeating question, revealing two blue eyes.
"Come, help me unpack!" Ariela said, taking his hand and leading him to her room.
"Why do you get to go first?" Stacey asked.
"Because I called, and I'm paying more rent than you are," Ariela replied.
"Only by like, twenty dollars!" Stacey exclaimed, sighing. She retreated to her new room and started unpacking by herself.
"I'm so glad you came," Ariela said to Patrick in her room. She handed him a box entitled 'Clothes.'
"You would give me the clothes box, wouldn't you?" Patrick asked. "Sterotype much?"
"Please tell me you're joking," Ariela said, putting her hand on her hip. "You know I don't stereotype. I wrote an entire article on it junior year in high school, remember?"
"Whatever you say. Just give the gay guy a box full of clothes and order him to hang them up, saying which is better, which should be thrown out..." Patrick continued. Ariela rolled her eyes and took the box away from him.
"Drama queen," she said. Patrick smiled, then bowed. "What are you doing?"
"And that is how you get out of doing something you don't want to do," he said. Ariela gasped.
"You little-ugh! Unpack!" she shoved the box back to laughing Patrick.
"I am definitely making it to Broadway," he said. Patrick and Ariela started unpacking, Patrick shifting between Ariela and Stacey's room to help both girls.
Around eight PM, everybody was done unpacking the bedrooms and the kitchen, and Patrick helped start up the TV, Ariela starting up her XBOX.
"Ugh, I'm exhausted," Stacey complained and she sighed and got out a cup, pouring herself some OJ. She walked to the living room and sat on the couch, finally relaxing after hours of work.
"You? I still have to drive back to the East Side so I can get home," Patrick said, sitting down next to her. Ariela laid on the floor, also exhausted. Patrick didn't get accepted into Columbia, being that he never applied after constant begging from Stacey and Ariela, but instead went to Wagner College.
"Thank you, Patrick," Ariela said. "For helping us."
"Yeah, yeah," he said. "Anything for my girls." After some talking, Patrick hugged Ariela and Stacey goodbye, and Ariela watched Patrick drive off in his Sedan from the living room window.
"Tomorrow," Stacey said out of the blue.
"What?" asked Ariela.
"Tomorrow is the day I am searching for a boyfriend," Stacey said. "After classes."
"Good for you, Stacey," Ariela replied. "Good for you."

Ariela slammed her alarm clock. If only she had enough energy. Then she'd slam it against the wall, finishing by hurling it out the window.
She fell out of bed (literally) and slowly got up, yawning, disgusted by her morning breath. Her classes started at nine, and she woke up at seven-thirty, being that she took a while to get ready, Stacey even longer.
"Come on Stacey," Ariela said, lazily knocking on her friend's door. "Let's go." no answer, as Ariela expected. She opened the unlocked door, looking at Stacey sprawled on her bed, hair crazed. Oh yeah. She's gonna take forever getting ready.
Ariela walked over to the bed and took off the sheets, shaking Stacey. Stacey swatted with her hand, not in the mood to get up.
"Wake up!" Ariela whined. She cringed at the smell of her breath, desparately needing a toothbrush.
"No," Stacey said. Ariela, more awake now, took a hold of Stacey's leg and dragged her onto the floor.
"I'm gonna sit on you," Ariela said.
"It's early!" Stacey whined.
"Get up," Ariela ordered.
"But-"
"I have a bucket of water waiting in the bathroom. Ice cold, just the way you don't like it," Ariela said. She hadn't filled the bucket in the bathroom she kept just in case of a situation like this, but she would if Stacey didn't get up.
"It's gonna mess up my hair," Stacey said, sitting up. Ariela smiled.
"Good girl! Now get dressed. I have bathroom first," Ariela said, walking to the bathroom. She filled the blue bucket just in case.
As Ariela got ready, she could hear the sounds of Stacey's never-ending closet. It was filled with clothes that Stacey could never wear, since she was so indecisive. It took her twenty minutes in pre-k for her to pick whether she wanted to finger paint in pink or purple (she finally chose red).
At eight fifteen, Ariela finished doing her hair and getting dolled up, and Stacey came barging in.
"Jesus, Stace, calm down. You have forty-five minutes," Ariela said.
"Which is how long you took! Now I'm going to have absolutely no time to get ready. Today is boyfriend-finsing day!" Stacey whined. Ariela left the bathroom and got her bag, ready for her business classes.
At around nine, Ariela and Stacey quickly walked to the campus, only a few blocks away. As they went their separate ways, Ariela could see Stacey staring at guys as she walked, judging them in her head. She smiled and continued to walk to her specific building.
As Ariela entered the room, the seats were already 99% filled up. She took the only seat next to a girl with glasses and got out her things.
"Alright, class, get out your supplies and listen up," said Professor Riley as he entered the room. The girl next to Ariela started to snicker.
"What's so funny?" Ariela asked her. The girl looked at her and shook her head.
An hour into the class, the girl passed a note to Ariela as Ariela was writing down some things. A note? Ariela thought. Really? She opened the folded piece of paper quitely and read the message. 'My name is Kristen,' it read. 'I was laughing because the teacher's pants are ripped in the back.' Ariela looked at the professor, waiting for him to turn around. When he did, his pants were, indeed, ripped a little in the buttox area. Ariela smiled and passed the note back to Kristen, after she wrote back her own name.
After class, Kristen followed Ariela outside.
"Hey," she said.
"Hi," Ariela replied, looking for Stacey.
"Who you looking for?"
"My friend Stacey. We live together," Ariela said.
"Oh," Kristen said. "As..."
"Roommates," Ariela said, giving a confused face to her new friend. "Why?"
"Just asking," Kristen said back. Ariela went back to searching.
"Ari!" Stacey's voice shouted. Ariela did a 360, looking for Stacey. When she went back to her original point, Stacey was standing in front of her. A guy stood next to her.
"Oh. Hello," Ariela said.
"I'm Kristen!" Kristen said. Stacey looked at her, making a 'Who the hell?' face, then looked back at Ariela.
"Okay, so, I met Kyle," she gestured to the melanin-challenged guy standing. "In class. We're going for coffee, right now!"
"Great..." Ariela said, looking at Kyle. He waved. The two then left, leaving kristen and Ariela alone.
"Wanna go for coffee?" Kristen asked Ariela. Ariela shook her head.
"I don't drink coffee," she said.
"Oh. How about we just walk around, get to know each other?" Kristen edged on.
"Sure," Ariela said. They started walking, Kristen encouraged by her personality to start up the conversation.
"I'm an only child, which totally sucks," she said. "My parents are divorced, which I don't why, but that totally sucks too." She's a rambler, Ariela tought, listening. "I'm from Europe. Well, I was born in the States, but my heritage is from Italy, and Italy only, which totally sucks. I don't want to be only from Italy, you know? Like, somewhere else, too, like, from Asia or something. Did you know the Chinese eat over nine million cats a year? Or was it nine thousand? Shoot, I can't remember. Russia is actually in Asia, but it's not considered Asian, which is really weird, since they're in Asia. Do you know where the Phillipines are? I found out yesterday, and I was like, 'OMG!'" Ariela started to get a headache. Stacey could talk a lot, but never like this. She listened as Kristen went on about different states in different places, shocked about where Wisconsin and Maryland were, thinking they were in different places. Then she listened about how Kristen though Washington was the state all in the way in the northwest, bordering with Canada, but it was Oregon instead. Also, she though Oregon was bordered with California.
After their little walk, Ariela said good bye and went to her apartment, tired out. All she could hear were Kristen's 'fun facts' and thoughts about geography. Ariela unlocked the door and was surprised to see Stacey and Kyle there. On the couch. Making out. With tongue. Already.
"Um..." Ariela said. Stacey stopped kissing and went red.
"Hi Ariela! I was showing Kyle the place," she said quickly.
"Don't bother trying to cover up," Ariela said, grossed out. "I'll be in my room. Listening to music so I won't have to hear you two." she quickly went in the room and put on her headphones, doing her homework.
After a while, Stacey came in her room.
"I'm gonna have to go downstairs really, really fast," she said. "I forgot my phone in one of my classes. How stupid am I? Anyway, Kyle's going to stay here-"
"Excuse me?" Ariela asked.
"I have to go downstairs-" Stacey started, talking louder, but Ariela cut her off.
"Kyle is staying? Can't your little friend go with you?"
"No," Stacey said. "Ta-ta!"
"Stacey!" Ariela followed her to the living room, where Stacey bolted off. Ariela looked at Kyle, not locking the door. What if he was dangerous? Ariela thought. Then she wouldn't be able to get out the room fast enough.
"Your friend is a fantastic kisser," Kyle said smiling.
"Good to know," Ariela said, sitting in the kitchen where she kept an eye on him.
"Great place," Kyle said. Ariela nodded. "Small, but good."
"Thanks so much," Ariela said sarcastically. Kyle walked over to her. Ariela put her hand in a fist.
"You don't like me?" he asked.
"I don't know you," Ariela replied. Kyle raised his eyebrows and sat next to her.
"Kyle Marmen, major-"
"I don't need to know your life story," Ariela said.
"With that attitude, you can get yourself killed," Kyle commented. Ariela looked at him.
"What?" she asked. Him jumping right to killing was suspicious. Very suspicious, in Ariela's mind.
"Just kidding," Kyle said with a smile. "I like to scare people."
"Fantastic," Ariela rolled her eyes.
"Well, aren't you rude," Kyle said. The front door opened and Ariela jumped, but it was only Stacey.
"Hi again! Got my cell!" she said. "Ariela, was Kyle a good boy?"
"I'll be in my room again," Ariela said, ignoring Kyle's most-likely-smiling face.
"Okay bye!" Stacey said. Ariela entered her room. "Kyle, come with me again on the couch!"
"Sure thing," Kyle replied. Ariela heard some thumping, then nothing. After a few minutes, her wall started to make tapping sounds. Ariela got out her headphones, wondering what the noise was.
Her room was next to the living room, right next to the couch. disgusting.
"Ew!" Ariela shouted, and hid under her covers to block out the noise.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Sep. 13 2012 at 8:51 pm
Cheshirekat SILVER, Boise, Idaho
5 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
“A friend might well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Oh you can't avoid that; we're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat

well written. i like it. keep going its going 2 be great.