The Epic of Sidewinder

Author's note: I got the idea for Tabasco from a character I made on Guitar Hero, and the story just evolved...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I got the idea for Tabasco from a character I made on Guitar Hero, and the story just evolved from that. Also, her little lesbian run with Diane, she wanted to do that. Tabasco "told" me what to write.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Solo

Solo
“Turns out they call themselves The Knights of Never,” the bearded guy from earlier told Tabasco. “Never On Time sounds more accurate…” He shifted his bass to the side a little and held out a hand. “I’m Ryan, by the way, the bassist of Will We Remember?.”
Tabasco shook his hand and replied, “Tabasco. I’m usually the guitarist for Sidewinder, but tonight I’m singing.
“Why is that?”
Tabasco shrugged. “Well, our normal singer wanted to mix it up a bit for the song we’re doing tonight, and he made me the singer.”
Ryan chuckled a little. “Thanks God we’re not doing that, our singer can’t play anything.” He paused to gesture at himself. “I’m the only one in my band who can play more than one instrument.”
“Really?” Tabasco asked, smiling. “What all can you play?”
“Well, bass obviously,” he replied. “Then there’s guitar, piano, violin, cello, and I pretend I can play drums.”
Tabasco sighed. “Well, I just have guitar and bass, so you got me beat.”
“Bah!” Ryan exclaimed, waving a hand dismissively. “Doesn’t matter how many you play, it’s how well you play ‘em.” Then he stood up and added, “Well, I’m up. You should listen to us, we’re gonna mess with people’s head.”
Still smiling, Tabasco also rose. “I think I will!”

“Damn,” Tabasco whispered as Will We Remember? left the stage. She made sure to give Ryan a smile and a thumbs up when their gazes met.
“What are you damning?” Zac asked.
“Dude, were you listening?” Michael asked back harshly. “That girl just sang a Metallica song!”
“So?” Zac asked, shrugging.
“So, she sounded just like James Hetfield!” Michael almost yelled.
“No problem,” Zac replied, shrugging. He turned to Tabasco. “Okay, now you have to play naked.”
Tabasco punched his arm, then pointed at the stage, where the manager of the bar now stood. “Alright you lot. Last, and certainly not least, we have the one, the only…Sidewinder!” he shouted, gesturing at the ceiling.
The band walked out onto the stage to thunderous applause. After a few moments of set up, Tabasco looked out at the bar, which was filled with people. Her heart began to pound loudly since, contrary to popular belief, Tabasco had horrible, horrible stage fright, but she was so afraid of screwing up that she never did. Heart continuing to pound, she said into the microphone, “Hey!” A small cheer was her answer. “If you’ve seen us before,” she continued, “we mixed it up a little tonight.” She jerked a thumb in Zac’s direction. “All his idea, by the way.” Cliff then started in on the bass intro while Tabasco added, “Now, this song might sound a little messed up, but it is about being messed up…” Michael joined in on the drums, and Zac mimicked Cliff’s melody, but a few octaves higher. At last, Tabasco began to sing:
“Twist my mind, wreck my brain,
Time to go against the grain,
In and out, up and down,
Gotta listen for the sound,
To tell me what I can gain.

You can’t take anything from me,
Without giving something back,
‘Cause everything’s Topsy-Turvy!

It has begun
Not all is said and done
I’m in charge around here
And I can hear your fear
Nothing is right
When day is dark as night
You can’t break free from me
When everything’s Topsy-Turvy

The harps of war play loud,
Three is fine, one’s a crowd,
Feet smell while noses run,
Green is the moon, with a purple sun,
How can this be allowed?

You’re running on the sky
Making the oak trees cry
Still everything’s Topsy-Turvy

There’s nowhere you can run
‘Til it’s all said and done
I’m in charge around here
And I can taste your fear
Nothing is right
When day is dark as night
You can’t break free from me
When everything’s Topsy-Turvy

Pu gnieb nwod ot deneppah tahw
Su rof tfel emit on s’ereht
Pu dekcol erew ew yhw eb thgim
Su htiw gnorw s’gnihtemos

Why are you chasing me?
Why can’t I just be free?
Why’s everything back to normal?
Am I gonna have to crawl?
What happened to Topsy-Turvy?

There’s nowhere you can run
‘Til all is said and done
I’m in charge around here
And I can smell you fear
Nothing is right
When day is dark as night
You cant break free from me
When everything’s Topsy-Turvy

But now it’s not.”
Once Tabasco finished singing, Zac played for a few more seconds, then dropped out, followed shortly by Michael. This left Cliff’s melody, which slowly faded away. The crowd began to applaud loudly, occasionally whooped and cheering. Tabasco grinned and held up both of her fists in victory.
And she also yelled, “WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!”