Christmas Calling | Teen Ink

Christmas Calling

By Wentwom SILVER, Bryant Pond Maine, Maine
Wentwom SILVER, Bryant Pond Maine, Maine

"It sure gets late early around here."
-Yogi Bera

Jason walked home from school that day with a heavy heart. The flakes of white drifted down and stuck to his sticky face.

His home was nestled into the hills and mountains of the upmost corner of Canada near the Mackenzie Mountains. It was the tenth day of December and when the normal wish for someone of twelve might be for millions of presents, Jasonʼs was different. All he wished was that the kids in his class would allow him to fit in more and not point out every mistake he made as if it were an epidemic. Or more often the mistakes he did not make.

As he got closer to home he realized that he could hear Robert, their full bred husky, howling. Jason sped up and something rare happened. He smiled. Then he broke into a full sprint towards home.

Jason reached his driveway out of breath and red in the face. Today was the first day Robert was hitched to the sled and that could only mean one thing. Today was the day they would get the big balsam fir that would stand in a corner of their living all through the Christmas season and beyond.

For Jason the best part of the many decorations and even gifts was the Christmas Tree. It was the most beautiful gift he could ever receive. When he arrived at the house he could see Dad standing with the big bow saw in hand and their powerful husky fully hitched in lead and raring to go. Then he heard the door close and saw his mother and little sister MaKayla step out into the snow. Each wore a puffy, purple, snow suit. He smothered a laugh as they looked like bright purple marshmallows. Especially MaKayla, who looked as if she might fall down and roll away.

His mom was a stout plump woman who could have been Chris Kringleʼs wife. But she had a hearty laugh, a bright smile, and was radiantly pretty. She also made the best cookies Jason ever tasted. Jasonʼs mouth watered just thinking about them.

Jason looked down at himself and decided heʼd better grab his ski pants so he would not freeze. He turned for the door and saw that his mom was holding them in her hand and smiling brightly. Jason returned the smile and jogged towards her.

“Thanks, Mom,” he said and quickly sat down to put them on.

MaKayla promptly laid down in the snow and started making a snow angel. “Hi, Jason,” she called without stopping.

“Hi, Kayla,” Jason called and rushed over to join Dad who had just finished putting Jasonʼs dog Kringle into his lead traces on a separate sled. He watched the muscles ripple under Dadʼs coat as he hooked the final hitch onto the shaking Kringle who was having all he could do to contain his joyous energy.

Standing up Dad yelled, “All aboard the Christmas express!” which was traditional. He yelled the same thing every year before they started the search.

Bustling over came Mom and MaKayla. Dad hopped onto the back of Robertʼs sled and Jason onto Kringleʼs. Robert being the stronger of the two dogs pulled the adults, although Kringle would probably reach Robertʼs strength and weight in a few months. Jason looked down in time to see MaKayla lift her arms, waiting to be picked up. Again he smiled and said, “Up you go.”

She giggled softly and Jason had to smile. He almost laughed, though, when he saw Mom get into the other sled. She was squeezing her very substantial rump into the sled and laughing the whole time. He remembered what she said every year at Christmas time. “Sweets for the growing character.”

“You ready, Jason?” Dad called. Jason gave a thumbs up and then pulled the claw holding his team back. The call to mush was lost in the joyous barking as they shot off into the white yonder.

The trees weighed down with snow flashed by and the trail was taken very easily by the dogs. The towering hardwoods eventually gave way to the occasional spruce and balsam fir. Eventually Dad called a halt and the dogs stopped obediently. Jason lifted MaKayla from the sled, and Mom and Dad joined them as the small group moved off into the firs.

After about 20 minutes Jason shouted, “I found it!” and sprinted off towards one of the many trees. As the others came closer Jason knocked the snow from its branches revealing a beautiful tree. Mom put her arm around Jason and said, “Oh, Jason, itʼs gorgeous ...” her voice catching in her throat.

“Jason, you did it!” MaKayla shouted and came running towards him, the charge eventually ending in a hug. They all broke into laughter and hugged MaKayla. She seemed so innocent at times like these and Jason loved her even more for it.

Finally Dad caught his breath enough to say, “You found it, you cut it.” Jasonʼs smile broadened across his face and he took the saw from his father. The wood was smooth cutting and a beautiful aroma arose throughout the forest with Dad and Mom taking great whiffs. Finally the tree groaned and fell softly to the ground. Dad tried to carry it back to the sleds but Jason wouldnʼt allow it and carried the conifer back himself.

Reaching the sleds Jason set the tree lightly on the ground and sighed. It had been harder than he thought to carry it all the way. From his sled Dad produced a contraption with two wooden skids and two metal cross pieces holding the skids solidly apart. Jason placed the tree onto the sledge and helped his dad tie two ropes to the cross pieces. One end was hooked to Kringleʼs sled; the other hooked to Robertʼs.

Everybody boarded the sleds and they were off again swooshing through the falling snow, admiring a moment they all hoped would never end. They took a detour onto a smaller trail to the right which had a beautiful view of the mountain behind their house. Mom settled into the sled a little more as the view relaxed her and MaKayla admired the beauty with Dad and Jason. Jasonʼs spirits fell a bit as the ride ended but then rose suddenly as he remembered what they would do next. Trim the tree. It was one of his favorite parts in the decorating process.

He helped Dad carry the tree to the lean-to shed hooked to the back of the house where the tree would dry off. Meanwhile Mom and MaKayla collected the decorations from where they were stored in various nooks and crannies of the home. As they waited for the tree to drip dry from the heat of the house father and son talked about gifts.

“I think MaKayla would love a pair of figure skates,” Jason said in quieted tones.

“You know, you may have something there. I hadn't thought of that,” Dad replied, softly stroking his chin.

“The treeʼs dry,” Jason commented, bringing Dad out of his partial trance.

They shook the few remaining drops from the tree and then Dad took the old, metal, tree stand down from where it hung on the wall and Jason retrieved a hammer from the tool box.

They leveled the but of the tree with bow saw and then pounded the tree stand (which had two sharp points at the bottom of a bowl) onto the base of the tree and drove the eye bolts into place to stabilize it. They then stood the tree upright and made some small adjustments to make it straight as an arrow.

This end of the house had previously been the front part of the barn. It had been renovated and, because of the renovations, had an unusually large door. Dad carried the tree, all eight feet of it, through the door and placed it in the corner of the living room where the tree was always displayed. Jason stepped back for a better view.

“Itʼs perfect,” he said, summarizing the millions of thoughts that were swirling about his mind.

“Yeah. Looks as if it grew for the sole purpose of being here,” his Dad replied.

“Ooooo, that looks wonderful,” Mom said as she came bustling in with a large box in each hand, levelly balanced on her muffin top.

MaKayla followed with a smaller box balanced on her head with both hands. The box was so large that it made her top heavy and she swayed precariously from foot to foot as she walked. Again everybody broke onto laughter as the small girl fell into the couch. The box landed above her head and she scolded, “Bad box, bad!” which caused even more hysterical laughter.

The tree was trimmed by everybody, including MaKayla who succeeded in getting tangled in the garland and lights. But the whole thing was fun and light. Life was too short to get caught up n the little stuff.

Finally, as dusk closed in around the rambling farmhouse, it was time to put the tree topper on. The beautifully delicate angel sat on top of a box, the last ornament to be placed on the tree. Jason gingerly picked her up and walked up the step ladder. He placed the angel on the very top and let it balance on the branches just below.

Jason climbed down and took care of the ladder. The lights from the tree were on and he turned off the overhead light. They all collapsed down on the couch together and rested, letting the serene warmth of the tree melt into their very hearts. A sharp contrast to what he would have to face tomorrow.

Jason awoke to the loud clattering of his alarm at six the next morning. He groaned heavily and rolled over, covering his head with his pillow. But, realizing that prolonging school and being late would just make what was coming worse, he rolled out of bed and slammed the off button on his old alarm.

Mom was already cooking when he stumbled down with his shirt pulled on backwards. Mom laughed aloud but, seeing her son’s face, tried to smother it. By that time however, Jason had realized his mistake and padded off to the bathroom to wash and switch it around. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, but even though these were one of Jason’s favorites, he found it hard to eat this morning. Mom could tell that something was wrong. She tried figuring it out most of the morning but Jason wasn’t talking and kept changing the subject or cutting her off with something totally different. Since his mom was a rather chatty person this usually worked well and this time was no exception. He succeeded in exiting the house before her interrogation was complete.

Maybe it was because he was preoccupied with what might happen rather than what was actually happening at the time. Whatever it was caused him to walk right by Andrew’s Corner, something he hadn’t done in months. Consequently, when he did realize what he had done and looked up he was on the side walk directly next to the corner.

“OOOOO, look who decided to pay us a visit.”

As the boy turned around Jason recognized the shape an build of Jerry Snide. The reason for Jason’s discomfort. He wasn’t exactly sure why Jerry had marked him for the one who deserved to go through this. It had started only this year. Little by little Jerry had climbed the ladder until he had finally reached this height.

Behind Jerry stood 7 high schoolers (who were picked up by a bus which carried them into Dawson)(middle schoolers went to school in town a short walk from the corner) and 2 of his middle school henchmen. As each of them turned around Jason saw the balls of ice curled into each hand. He didn’t waste any time talking. He broke into a full sprint towards the school. Even so, eight of the ice projectiles zoomed in and hit him. Seven hit him in the back, one hit him in the head.

Jason wasn’t in school for most of that day. He spent the majority of the day in the closet turned school nurse’s office. There was ice on his back and his head and he was lying on the cot. Mrs. Stevens asked him if he thought he needed to go home but he said he thought he was okay, knowing that if he went home it would be a sign of weakness and he was not going to give Jerry any satisfaction.

Jerry, meanwhile was far from gloating. His face was screwed up in pain all morning. But not in the afternoon. He annoyed Mrs. Stevens long enough so that she would give him the dunce cap and then stood in the behind her desk for the rest of the day. He was not going to give Jason any satisfaction.

Mrs. Stevens had called home when Jason had stumbled in and told them that the boys had been punished, so that, when Jason reached home the did not call the school. Nobody brought it up and Jason glad of that. He received only sympathy from his parents who tried to make him as comfortable as possible. He fell into a dreamless sleep that night, thankful only that tomorrow he was free.

The next day was a Saturday and Jason slept soundly until the delicious smell of fried bacon and cooking pancakes found his nose. He squinted as the bright sunlight cracked the sleepiness left in his eyes.

There was a fresh new layer of snow on the ground. It looked like Mother Nature had partially inflated a very flat white marshmallow. He dressed quickly and then strolled down to a wonderfully smelling breakfast.

“Hey, sleepyhead!” Mom called brightly over the Christmas music.
Yawning, he mumbled a reply and then stumbled toward the table.

“Here you go,” Mom said, placing a stack of apple pancakes in front of him.

“Whereʼs Dad?” Jason asked through a mouthful of flapjack. Mom answered that he was out running the dogs. Jason nodded and decided he would take Kringle and a couple of others over to Jennyʼs this afternoon.

He filled the day with splitting wood and packing the trails with the snow machine. They had gotten about a foot of light fluffy snow during the night and it took most of the morning to make ready the miles of trails across their land. So around two he bundled up and ran where he quickly harnessed his dogs. Kringle started getting jittery all over again. The path to Jennyʼs was about a mile long. The afternoon sun was dropping fast but the day still had some warmth left in it. Kringle made good time across the flat ground but Jason didnʼt push him too hard. He was enjoying the thrill and fun of the crisp air and majestic scenery.

The Stevensʻ property abutted the Graceʼs 200 acres. Mrs. Stevens was the lone school teacher in their small town and was always friendly with Jason.

He stopped Kringle on the top of the hill which overlooked the Stevensʻ white cottage in the center of a small valley. The smoke trail rising from the chimney gave the home a comforting feel. Jason urged Kringle forward gingerly and put moderate pressure on the brake so they wouldnʼt go sailing. He could just picture a human shaped hole in Jennyʼs south wall. The thought brought a smile to his face. They reached the house safely though and Jason anchored the sled and unhitched Kringle. Stepping around to the other side of the house he knocked on the door. Jenny answered.

She was about three inches shorter than Jason. Her hair fell to her shoulders in long black waterfalls and her face was creamy pretty.

“Hey Jase,” she said brightly and then stepped aside. Kringle ran wild with the many smells and received a loving pat from Jenny.

“Iʼve got something to show you,” she said with a wild grin.

Her house was not as large as Jasonʼs but it was more lovingly furnished. The tree was lit brightly in a corner. Though not as large as the Graceʼs it still radiated the same love and warmth.

As they ascended the spiral staircase positioned in the center of the home pictures of Jennyʼs father filled most of the walls. What was not occupied by
pictures was filled with assortments of Christmas decorations. They reached a landing and Jenny opened her door and quickly pulled him in.

“Whatʼs the big idea?” Jason asked.

“Ssshhhhh, youʼll wake them up.” And from her dresser drawer she produced a blanket, full of sleeping puppies.

The pups were at least a few days old. Their eyes had opened. And they werenʼt asleep long. When their tiny ears picked up the sound of voices they were awake and squirming in seconds. Kringle didnʼt quite know what to think. He solved that problem by doing what every dog does. He sniffed.

Heʼd had his nose stuck down there for a while when one pup, who was jet black with a white patch down his chest, climbed onto his snout. This really confused Kringle. As he went cross-eyed trying to look at the pup he wriggled his body about in an odd direction. He finally gave up and sat down. He looked at Jason with pleading eyes and the puppy gave a yip of glee.

Jason and Jenny broke into hysterical laughter. Jenny finally caught her breath long enough to say, “Heʼs ... yours if you ... want him.”

“Iʼll take him if I can pry him off,” Jason replied between breaths.

Kringle lay down, still not satisfied. Jason bent down and looked into the bigger dogs eyes. If dogs could frown the expression on Kringleʼs face would have been laughable. As it was, his expression was close. Jason gave in to the pleading and gingerly pulled the pup into his arms. He received a lick from both dogs and chuckled. This was going to be an experience. The puppies were all Malamutes and, by nature, would need to be trained as sled dogs. When the others were old enough Jasonʼs father would train them and eventually sell them to other sledders readying for the Iditarod. Jennyʼs family would get half of the proceeds.

Eventually they got the pups to quiet down again. Sitting on the bed with the pups asleep Jason asked, “Howʼs your dad doing?”

Jennyʼs face turned a pale gray as this was a touchy subject these days.

“Momʼs visiting right now,” she said. “He caught pneumonia last Wednesday.” Jason was nodding his understanding.

“Mom says she wants to stay with him next weekend.”

Jason shifted uncomfortably as he suggested, “You could stay with us.” Shifting more.

“Thanks Jase.” She sounded relieved. Jasonʼs face started to turn. She always knows, Jason thought as Jen turned away grinning. Afterwards she was a lot more talkative and loose.

Jason left around three, telling her heʼd pick up the pup tomorrow.

As promised he sledded over in the morning. He took Cocoa and Kringle in lead this time. Mrs.Stevens greeted him at the door and told him Jenny was in the barn. He thanked her and rushed towards the dilapidated old barn. He opened the door quietly and looked around. She was over by one of the stalls watching one of the mother dogs nurse.

She sure was intent on those dogs. Jen didnʼt even notice he was there until he tapped her on the shoulder. He smiled.

“Isnʼt it beautiful,” she said exasperated. And it was. Just the perfect picture. She nursed them for another ten minutes and then started gently nudging them away.

“Cʼmon,” she said “this is Shelbyʼs new litter. Iʼll show you where Chillyʼs is, your pupʼs there.”

As Jennyʼs family were breeders the barn was filled with dogs and he found it hard to keep them all straight. But Jenny knew all by heart and could re- sight all 42 names. They did not see the jet black one right away and Jenny mumbled something. Then they spotted him. Up on a post standing above the stall sat the little pup. He was very pleased with himself. Jason plucked him down from the post and asked Jenny if he always climbed. She nodded and said, “Youʼd better give him a good name. He deserves it.”

Jason called him K2 after one of the tallest mountains on Earth. Jenny giggled when she heard and said it was cool.

On the ride home, K2 climbed from his cozy spot in the sled to atop the rail Jason was hanging onto and sat right between his arms. He stayed there all the way home, yipping occasionally at Kringle and Cocoa. Jason smiled every time the yipping made Kringle or Cocoaʼs ears go crazy.

He yelled to Dad that he was home and then drove the sled right into the barn. He hurried through unhitching the dogs and then bundled K2 into the house.

“Mom,” out of breath “Look at K2. Jenny gave him to me.”

“K2?” she screwed up her face, puzzled.

“He ...” laughing “climbs a lot!”

K2 had climbed from the palm of his hand to the top of his head and the short dull claws tickled Jasonʼs scalp. Mom laughed along with him and plucked the dog off her sonʼs head. About that time Dad walked in and an immediate smile broadened across his face.

“Is this whatʼs been causing all the racket?” he asked reaching for he coffee pot.

“Yeah K2ʼs a little hyper,” laughing again.

Dad smiled at the name, knowing what it meant.

“Climber?”

Jason nodded.

Dadʼs expression stayed unchanged. All of their “climber” dogs had mountain names.

“Age?”

“4 weeks.”

“Yours?”

He couldnʼt help smiling.

Jason went back to school the next day. Thankfully it was only a four day week.

He made it to school without incident. Ducking down a side street in town to avoid Andrewʼs Corner was the only excitement. Jenny was the only one in school except for her mother and they talked for a while until the other students began to show up. Jerry Snide opened his mouth to make a rude remark but spotted Mrs. Stevens and quickly shut it. He settled for a mean smirk. The expression was meant to say, Welcome to your worst nightmare. Great, Jason thought.

Mrs. Stevens taught through Reading, History, and Arithmetic during the morning and then released them for break and lunch.

Jason and Jenny went around to the other side of the schoolhouse with their lunch. Neither was hungry though and their conversation eventually shifted to Jennyʼs problems. Sheʼd be coming home with Jason Thursday after school.

Then Jerry Snide showed up. Jason had thought that his day couldnʼt get much worse, but it just had. Jerry was flanked by Bucky Hanscom and Kenny Johnson. By himself Jerry wasnʼt much to look at, but Bucky and Kenny werenʼt
big. They were huge. Bucky was 6ʼ1” and 191 and Kenny was 6ʻ even and 210. Both had been held back a year and were 15, a year older than Jason.

“Cut a trail Jerry,” Jason snarled.

“Iʼm comfy here thanks,” Jerry replied.

Almost at the point of blowing up Jenny snarled, “You bring those two oafs around actinʻ as if youʼre king when all you are is a nosy, snotty, shrimpy, cowardly, ass!”

“Someoneʼs got attitude,” Jerry said in mock fear.

Kenny and Bucky moved to either side of Jason and Jen.

“Whatʼs the matter Jerry? Canʼt do it yourself?”

The bullyʼs face turned a bright shade of pink.

“You just shut up and stay where you are shrimp. We got some work to do on your face!”

The boys moved in slowly, pushing Jenny out of the circle. Suddenly the schoolyard monitor was glowering at them from behind. Jason had never seen them so flustered. They wanted no part of Mr. Murton. He scared most of the student body. Surprised at his help Jason realized how misunderstood the janitor was. A smile and then he was gone. Puzzled, Jason could configure no viable reason for the class being scared of the bulky guy.

The afternoon went surprisingly well for Jason, no nasty looks no homework ... It was a gold nugget compared to the lump of coal he would later find.

Jenny was not in school Tuesday. Nor was she there on Wednesday. The days were glum, uneventful, and held a tremendous sense of worry in them for Jason. She showed on Thursday, but didnʼt talk, didnʼt eat, and didnʼt go out for break. Jason became even more concerned.

Mrs. Stevens was in no good mood either. Throughout the day she rained tests and worksheets down upon them. She didnʼt give them homework. It was the lone appearance her good nature gave all day. Even Jerry and his thugs buckled down to work. There was something majorly wrong in the Stevensʼ home and Jason was afraid he knew what it was.

Jennyʼs face showed no expression or emotion on the way to Jasonʼs house. Her movements were robotic. Jason didnʼt attempt to ask her any questions. If his hunch was correct there was a flame burning an endless supply of coal underneath her iron covering.

By the time they reached home sheʼd relaxed a bit. The realization that it was vacation and she was a guest had probably done it. Didnʼt matter. He saw straight through. She opened up at dinner, seemingly forgetful of what had been bothering her. Jason began to doubt his hunch. She laughed and took part in the conversation regularly and readily. Just like Jen, he thought.

Later, they excused themselves and walked out to the barn where the dogs were kept. It was quiet for a while and then Jen asked, “How many times has K2 got out?”

“6,” he grumbled, trying very hard to keep the laugh out voice. He rather enjoyed trying to catch the little bandit in his exploits. Dad on other hand did not enjoy looking for him. Though he always ended up laughing heʼd rather not go to the trouble.

Jenny could tell Jason was trying not to laugh and she, cracked a knowing half smile. Looking at her more closely now Jason could tell that she had wanted his family to enjoy dinner. She must have wanted to enjoy it herself and had tried real hard. That did not change the days events though.

They reached the barn and as they stepped inside the dogs began yipping gleefully. A fresh crisp smell hung in the air and the mood was a mixture of happiness and chaos. After settling everybody down they got into a lengthy conversation about the sled dog racing Jason was going to do next winter and which dogs were going to be good prospects. Jenny said something and they came to a silence. K2 could sense something was wrong and moved closer to Jenny. Nowʼs as good a time as any, Jason thought. Jason scooted a bit closer and could tell she was steeling herself for it.

“Has something happened to your Dad?” very softly.
The steel melted. Her face turned gray and she buried her face in her hands sobbing.

“Oh, Jason ... Iʼm ... so ... scared!” she wailed and jumped into his arms. He hesitated just a moment and then embraced her.

“What are you scared of?” he whispered after a minute or two.

She sobbed into his shoulder and it came out muffled.

“Itʼs ... stage ... 4 ... lung cancer!” Again she buried her face in his shoulder and cried.

Jason deflated. He hated that word, cancer. It had taken his grandfather last year and been the worst time of his life. They managed to come to another conversation a while later. Jenny said, after a bit of talking, that she felt better and apologized for breaking down. Jason told her he understood.

They stayed out there talking in soft voices for a while longer. It was dark when he climbed the attic stairs. He could not stop thinking about what Jen must be going through.

As he lugged the bulky air mattress down he wondered what she would do if he didnʼt come through the cancer. The pump was in the lean-to downstairs and as he walked he thought. And the more he walked, the worse he felt. He could only begin to imagine what it must be like.

He turned onto the landing and walked down the hall. Absently he turned the knob to his door. It was locked. He took out his key and opened the door just a crack. Jen was on her knees, praying. He gently closed the door and left the pump near it. He padded down to the living room and sat on the couch watching the tree. Jen came down a short while later but Jason must have dozed of because he didnʼt know how much time had passed. They sat there for a while but when neither could hold their eyes open any longer they climbed the stairs and fell into bed. Jenny was asleep the moment her head hit the air mattress. Jason had a harder time of it and even with the comfort of his bed he fell into a fitful sleep.

Jason woke up sweating and flailing. He couldnʼt know what figment of his imagination had caused it. The dream had disappeared with his wakening. As Jason lay there, quietly trying to get back to sleep, he heard a soft noise. He glanced at the clock but it was one in the morning so it wasnʼt Mom or Dad. And then it got louder, just for a moment, and he realized it was Jen crying. Getting out of bed he crossed through the door, which was slightly ajar and into the room adjoining his. As he watched, she shuddered and sobbed very softly.

Gently, he picked her up in his arms and carried her to his bed. She didnʼt weigh much and he gently lifted her into his arms. Jen hardly stirred as he placed her in the bed and pulled the covers over her.

Needing only the look of comfort on her face, he crossed back to the guest room and fell asleep on the air mattress.

He awoke early the next morning and slipped down to the kitchen. Mom had pancakes in the oven and Dad was reading the newspaper and sipping a cup of coffee. With that passive look parents sometimes use he asked, “Did something happen last night?”

Jason told his parents about what Jen said and what he had done this morning. His parents knew most of the disease details already, as Jason thought they would, but were silenced by Jenʼs reaction to it. Dad finally found a way to run the conversation onto the regionals next month, but the mood did not run alongside. At least not until Jen entered the room. She had a sincere smile covering her face and Jason noticed that there was a bit of spring in her step. Though surprised, he felt his spirits lift and it became easier to continue regular conversation. Apparently his parents felt it too because Dad started talking about the dogs planned to take to regionals. Puzzled, Jason wanted to ask what had lightened her mood but decided breakfast was probably not the best time to do so.

Jenny wanted to know when they planned to start training K2. Jason answered, “After Christmas. Itʼs a little early but heʼs definitely strong enough from all that climbing.” which got a laugh out of everybody at the table.

After breakfast Jason said he was going to take the dogs out along the new trail. Jenny said sheʼd come along.

While Jason was hooking Kringle and Robert into their lead traces Jenny rounded up the four others they needed. They didnʼt talk much while they harnessed the dogs, but it was a comfortable silence and neither felt the need to break it.

The new trail was an extension of the main conditioning trail. More for enjoyment than training, it swept out about two miles to a small lake and looped around to rejoin the main line at a Y.

The main line wasnʼt much of a sight and Jasonʼs roaming eyes felt almost bored seeing it again. But with sled dogs there is no time for the musher to be distracted and Jason reminded himself to stay alert. As it turned out, a hare scuttled across the trail and it took all of his strength on the brake and claw to keep them from running pell-mell through the woods and getting all tangled up.

They reached the lake a while later and the sun, high in the sky, cast a warm glow over the fields of ice and snow. Jenny climbed from her warm bundle to a stump as Jason anchored the sled near the lake.

They watched a pine martin stalk over the ice for a while. The cold and scarcity of food had driven them into the sun swamped day. He twitched his nose in all directions trying to catch the faintest scent of prey. But fate had another starved day planned for him and the little martin crossed over and disappeared into the woods.

“He might make it,” she said, sounding more like she was trying to convince herself. He was silent.

“People have done it before. You know? If anybody can do it, itʼs him.”

Jason didnʼt ask any questions or say anything. She was clinging to faith. And like her dad clinging to the few days the doctors had predicted, the strand was weakening.

Jenny and her mom went visiting over the weekend. Jason spent most of it Christmas shopping. He and MaKayla along with Dad or Mom had gotten their parents the big stuff. All that was left was Jenʼs gift. It proved to be the hardest of all. He passed many shops but still could not find the right thing. But on Sunday afternoon he found them. A hope picture frame and a locket. He got home just before Jen and stuffed them into his closet.

Jen was in rather high spirits that night. She and Jasonʼs mom had persuaded her mom to stay for dinner before she went to the hospital. Apparently they were going to start Mr. Stevens on a pill which was supposed to target and kill the cancer cells.

The very elegant dinner was consumed with laughter and much talking. Jason went up to his room that night with a warm feeling deep inside him. It wasnʼt the food. It was hope.

The next four days passed much the same as last Friday. Their lone companions were each other and the dogs. As the range of their exploits grew, so did the comfort Jen felt. At dinner she was able to laugh and participate in the
conversation like she was part of the family. With Jason she became more of a friend. The silences between them grew few and far between. Regularly the two were, good-naturedly kicked out of the house.

There is a brook which flows west of the Mackenzie Mountains and end in a large expanse of water and ice. The water exits underground and is frozen all but three months of the year.

As he harnessed the dogs Thursday morning Jason had only vague thoughts of traveling the two and a half hours it would take to reach the paradise. Jen was already in the sled when he finished hooking Kringle.

Starting out he gave the one command to mush, not sure where he wanted to go. As luck would have it, they pulled straight onto the trail which led 25 miles northwestward to the icy paradise.

The sun blazed down upon them as they journeyed the last few miles. The last part of the trail was very steep. Both hopped upon the challenge of helping the dogs. From the efforts of the dogs and the teens they ate up the distance. At the crest of the hill they paused to gaze. The snow lay untouched and the bright crystals gleamed into their eyes. The trees, which grew upon the border of the lake, felt like a shroud shielding all the dangers from this one speck of uninterrupted freedom. A great crisp smell filled the air and Jason wondered, “If all things are created equal ... where does this fit?"

At first they felt bad about it. But the forecast promised snow and the dogs and sled floated easily upon the thick crust. The sound of their laughter rang out in the stiff frosty air. Jen tried her hand at mushing and did quite well, turning a wide arcing circle in the snow. She was just getting her balance under her when she yelled ‘gee’ instead of ‘haw’ and flew off in the sled. It was very funny for Jason because the dogs became confused and came around to sniff her.

Too soon it was time to leave and the oasis was left to its peace and serenity once more. The first part of the trip was rather hard for Jason. Exerting all his strength upon the brake he was able to keep the sled from jumping upon the dogs. After that the trail leveled off and the ride was very smooth. They stopped once, about half way home. The dogs were tired and so was Jason. With lots and coaxing and pleading he allowed himself to be persuaded to let Jen do the mushing.

Laughter and rosy cheeks arrived at dusk that night. Despite his worries Jen had done surprisingly well and now Jason remembered just how fun it was to simply ride.

Mom and Dad had suspected an argument when night rolled around. But when it came time, there was no argument, only tired agreement. There would be no complaining about sleep tonight.

Christmas Eve day was in full swing the next morning. Instead of the parents kicking the kids out, it was the kids kicking the parents out. It was in mock anger that they left.

Quickly as the living room had emptied, it filled again with presents. They materialized, so it seemed, from every nook and cranny of the house. They brought out only the ones for their parents. Jenny wrapped some for her parents and some for Jason and MaKaylaʼs.

By mid morning all of the furniture was covered. Wrapping paper, ribbon, and tape were strewn everywhere.

“We probably arenʼt the most organized group in the world,” Jen observed, which brought the pair to laughs. As the laughing subsided, MaKayla appeared. She crawled from beneath a pile of wrapping paper, ribbon stuck to all parts of her. The laughing resumed.
After lunch they retreated to their rooms. Jen took the guest room which was filled with junk. Each wrapped what they had gotten from ache other. MaKayla had had some help from Mom in purchasing.

Mom and Dad returned around three that afternoon to a silent, clean, home. “Oh my!” Mom whispered and pointed to the stack of presents which ran two and three tall around the tree. !
As they were hanging their coats the kids emerged from their rooms, each bearing a stack of gifts in their arms. The gifts were too big for MaKayla. Didnʼt matter. She ran one gift down and then scurried back up for another. It took her about ten trips but everybody was too busy laughing to count.

Jasonʼs mother cooked an elegant dinner that night. Not large, but elegant. Even as good as it was, the family found themselves talking more than eating.

It was with much controversy that Mom and Dad convinced everybody that it was in their best interest to be in bed. The adults had much fun with this as it gave them a great excuse to be bossy. Jen was the lone one who didnʼt pretend to become flustered. She laughed a great deal and everyone could tell that the only thing wrong with her was exhaustion.

She and Jason climbed the stairs together that night. As her eyelids fell heavier and heavier the climb grew slower. Jason felt himself placing a hand on her back and half pushing her up the stairs. She tumbled onto the bed and was immediately asleep. For the first time in his life, Jason valued sleep, for his had been taken away.

As he lay there awake, a belief which had never really ceased to exist in him started to fill his insides. But as the thought began to wager with the belief he fell into a doze.

When he awoke later he was alert and invigorated instantly. As he slowly rose he remembered Jen and moved into his room. As she was no where near consciousness, he pulled back the covers and started to raise her into his arms. It was during this motion that his hand brushed against her face and he realized that it was wet ... with tears. He could not know what had caused it and even she would not know why in the morning.

He was going to the one place he felt completely safe and secure. He could not describe the connection he had with it. Knowing the feelings that welled up inside him was enough.

She was in a deep sleep as he walked down the stairs enjoying the full moon which shown through the windows. The staircase faced outward directly towards the tree. And on this Christmas Eve the tree seemed to glimmer even brighter. The couch stood near the fireplace out of the way of the tree. He sat down slowly and felt the light and happiness fill him. Jen snored softly beside him but his gaze was not, could not, be altered.

He felt it before any of his five senses were able to acknowledge it. A feeling deep inside of his chest, like a drum beating to a totally addicting rhythm. Each time it was struck his fingers warmed and cooled. Finally the drum sped to a rhythm all its own. He felt a power surging through him which made him feel like the world was on his side. It was a power only one other person had. And he was more spirit than man now.

A light erupted from the fireplace then. A great, warm, golden light. It was the source of what he felt inside. At the sight of this light he fell fast, fast, asleep.

The stairs thumped softly as Mom, Dad, and MaKayla on Dadʼs shoulder descended the stairs. The first sight was of the tree. Presents spilled far out into the room. It left everyone speechless ... except for MaKayla who exclaimed, “Look Mommy, Santa Claus came!” She squirmed down and went to the tree first and then to the stockings. Thatʼs when she saw them.

The smell of coffee drifted to his nose and he stretched and groaned. Jason sat up, droopy eyed, feeling refreshed. Jen sat up a moment later with a yawn, then she grinned. They started up at the same time but stopped mid stand. The gifts lay where they had been carefully placed, and, in fact, quite far out into the living room. Amazed they both picked their way to the kitchen.

Breakfast was a large meal of flapjacks. Not even the tiniest present had been opened. Because of how little patience children have, especially on Christmas, the breakfast was consumed in a hurried manner. After much pleading and a couple of seconds wait for cameras, which felt like hours, they were allowed to open the stockings. Jenʼs mom stopped by after the stockings had been thoroughly fondled and opened. She was just in time to see her daughter open the frame and locket. Both were of beautiful craftsmanship and both evoked the same passion and emotion. She hugged him hard and thanked him. He told her she didnʼt need to say more. He knew that if she tried to talk much more she would probably end up crying.

The mood was lightened immediately, however, for MaKayla had just opened the pristine pair of figure skates that Dad, Mom, and Jason had gotten for her. Apparently she liked them because she went straight for Dad and said, “Daddy, I donʼt wanna do any more Christmas. Can we go skate instead?” She changed her tune quickly, however, when Dad spoke of the many gifts still left under the tree for her. Then she went right back and sat down ready to open some more, her dilemma solved. The day passed slowly and happily. Each present was as good as the last. But even greater than the presents, was the feeling. Everybody was laughing and thank you-ing and enjoying each otherʼs company. He got many gifts that day but his favorites would forever be what he saw on Christmas Eve. That love is much more powerful than hate.

Christmas and vacation passed altogether too quickly. Before any of them knew it they were back in school. But something had changed. Andrewʼs Corner came and went with Jason calling to Jerry. He told him that it was good to see him and that he hoped his Christmas had been a good one. The bully stood stock still and watched Jason walk off down the street whistling as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

Jason was hanging his coat when Jerry entered the school. Jerry held up his hand, ready to “accidentally” push Jason into the coat rack. But before he could do so, Jason turned around and high- fived him.

“Hi Jerry,” slap. “Have a good vacation?” And walked to his seat. Flabbergasted, Jerry did not try to hide his open mouth.

This was fun, Jason thought, and it had surprised him. He proceeded to give Bucky and Kenny the same treatment. They were rather dumb but gave Jason the same reaction Jerry had. His spirits were higher than normal. Happiness in school was something he rarely experienced and he did not know what to do with himself.

During break he and Jen started to walk around the school but, on a whim, Jason turned around and walked to the front steps where he settled.

“Whoa, whatʼs up with you?” Jenny asked trying to sound like a guy.
He told her about the bullies and what he had done to fix it. Though he tried to make it sound like a small accomplishment, she still was quite surprised by it. As they talked, Jerry gave them a funny look, but stayed well away.

As the day went on, Jerry seemed to come out of his funk. Even so, it was a bully free day.
If Jason had been a girl he probably would have skipped home. He satisfied himself by wearing a large grin. As usual his mom asked him how the day had been. He told again how he had solved the trouble. She became a little dewy eyed and told him how proud she was of him. “Youʼre growing up!” she exclaimed with mixed emotions. He was saved from the fondling by the phone.

Jenny was on the other end and with no hello she cried, “The doctor says Dad can probably come home on the 24th.” He responded by saying, “Amazing.”

Later, during the period of time when his body was neither asleep nor awake, he realized that this had been the best day of his life.

The twenty days rolled by slowly as they do when you are waiting for something. School settled back to normal with the exception of Jerry who had seemed to lose interest in them. Finally, on the eighteenth, when Jenny thought she could wait no longer, her dad came home ... early. Jen was delighted and begged her mom to let her spend the week with him. But her mother was a school teacher through and through. Education came first. Even though she hadnʼt gotten what sheʼd wanted, it was the happiest Jenny had been for a long time.

On Saturday, she got what most of us take for granted: A day with her dad. Jason had visited him on Friday and he seemed to be doing very well. That Saturday they had started familiarizing K2 with the with the lead dog position. Jason had just gotten K2 to understand that, aside from Jason, he was in control of the sled. As he came around the house with the team he spotted them, Jenny and Mr. Stevens, slowly coming up the path. He stopped the dogs and watched. People never ceased to amaze him.

“Hey Jason,” Mr. Stevens called as he had since the first day Jason had been able to talk. He asked Jason how training was going and gave some tips. Finally there came a silence. “Do you ... ah ... want to take a run?”

The six time Provincial champ could not keep a smile from his face. He laughed and hopped onto the runners. There was something about him that made dogs want to give all they had. K2 behaved almost perfectly under his control. After a couple of times around the house, they shot off onto a short side trail.

While he was gone, Jen commented, “He wanted a last ride.”

“Once heʼs fully recovered heʼll probably race in the Provincials again.”

“No. The doctors told him that overexertion could bring the cancer back.” Jason thought about that long into the night. He could not imagine not being allowed to do what he loved.

The next day, Sunday, found both the Graces and the Stevensʻ crowded together. The little dog called K2 who had experienced him once could not be kept from his bedside. They were all watching as Mr. Albert Stevens drew his last breath. A day Christ came to call. A day when hope could be found only in a labyrinth of love, sadness, and magic.

fraserk said...
on Feb. 14 2012 at 11:51 am
Jason and Jenny's relationship gives him strength to overcome!

kelleyfraser said...
on Feb. 14 2012 at 10:58 am
Everyone should have an experience like this picking out a Christmas tree!

kelleyfraser said...
on Feb. 14 2012 at 10:57 am
Chapter 4 adds depth to the story.

k5Princ said...
Fantastic; I could see this in my mind paragraph by paragraph. I hope to read more. Congratulations!

Jess116 said...
Amazing story!!! So proud of you!!!!

on Feb. 13 2012 at 10:35 am
Willflower.-.-. BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona

This is us. This is who we are. We demand attention.

AWESOME! I ♥ it!

sherm1999 said...
This is an awesome story. Your writing style creates wonderful images for your readers. It leaves you with a warm feeling despite the realistic ending. I hope you continue to write more stories.

fraserk said...
on Feb. 10 2012 at 10:42 am
Everyone should have an experience like this when finding the perfect Christmas tree!

fraserk said...
on Feb. 10 2012 at 10:41 am
I think this chapter adds dimension to your novel.